Faith and Works: Paul vs. James

Welcome to our community

Looks like you don't have an account yet? Be apart of something great, join today! Create account to get more access like posting, reacting to others helpful post and your own private message Register Or Login

Gily

KF Founder & Dragon IGM
KF Founder
KF Moderator
Reaction score
Paul taught that eternal salvation is through faith alone in Christ alone. The way he showed this is by contrasting faith and works.

Ephesians 2:8
'For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9] not as a result of works, that no one should boast. 10] For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Paul said the following concerning Abrahams justification.

Romans 4:2
For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about; but not before God. 3] For what does the Scripture say? ''And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.'' 4] 'Now to him who works, his wage is not reckoned as a favor, but as what is due. 5] But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness, 6] just as David who speaks of the blessing upon the man to whom God reckons righteousness apart from works;

On other hand, James seems to say just the opposit. If you read between the lines the passage seems to argue what Paul said.

James 2:14-17
What use is it, my brothers, if a person says he has faith but has no works? Is faith able to save him? If a brother or sister is naked and has no daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and be filled,” without giving them what their bodies need, what use is that? So also faith, if it does not have works, is dead, being by itself.

The author goes on to argue that having faith apart from works cannot bring salvation, and in fact is worthless. This is shown above all by the example of Abraham, father of the Jews, who was saved by what he did, not just by what he believed.

James 2:18-24
But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from works and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that God is one? You do well: even the demons believe, and they shudder. But do you wish to know, O shallow man, that faith apart from works is barren? Wasn’t Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? You see that faith was working with his works and faith was completed by the works. And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “And Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.” And he was called a friend of God. You see that a person is justified by works, and not by faith alone.

We can say Paul emphasizes faith however on the other hand James’ emphasizes works. Is justification by faith, as Paul claims, or by works, as James seems to say?

Donations

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$300.00
Back
Top Bottom