Niger coup live news: Unrest as army backs guards who moved against Bazoum

Welcome to our community

Looks like you don't have an account yet? Be apart of something great, join today! Create account to get more access like posting, reacting to others helpful post and your own private message Register Or Login

Gily

KF Founder & Dragon IGM
Staff member
Jun 4, 2023
Struggle to contain situation before it gets out of hand: AJ correspondent
Al Jazeera’s Ahmed Idris, who has reported extensively on Nigerien affairs, says the next few days will be “critical”.

“What is clear right now is the struggle to contain the situation before it gets out of hand,” he said from Abuja, the capital of neighbouring Nigeria.

“The biggest concern is to contain the situation among supporters of the coup and supporters of the government.

“Apart from that, there is also the concern about possible divisions within the army,” added Idris, noting that there are still people in the security forces who are loyal to Bazoum

UN chief ‘extremely worried’ about situation
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has said he is “extremely worried” about the situation in Niger.

Speaking to reporters, he said he spoke with Bazoum after the coup attempt.

“I don’t know exactly where he is, but he was detained,” Guterres said. “He told me he was well, but he told me that the situation was very serious.”

Guterres also warned of the “terrible effects on development” and civilians due to “successive unconstitutional changes of government in the Sahel”.

“If you look at the region, you have dramatic terrorist increase of activity in Mali, in Burkina Faso, in Nige … you have military regimes,” he said.

“We are witnessing that the whole belt, south of the Sahara, is becoming an extremely problematic area with terrible consequences for their populations and with terrible consequences for peace and stability for the African continent and further afield,” Guterres added.

The coup is “another symptom, another … very dramatic event that only benefits the terrorist groups operating in the area.”
1690479694617.png

Niger’s army has declared allegiance to the defence and security forces that moved against President Mohamed Bazoum, as demonstrations both in favour and against the coup plotters take place in the capital, Niamey.

In a social media post on Thursday, Bazoum said “hard-won gains” in establishing democracy in Niger will be protected.

ALJAZEERA.

Last edited:

Gily

KF Founder & Dragon IGM
Staff member
Jun 4, 2023
UPDATES:
ECOWAS calls for immediate release of Bazoum

ECOWAS, the Economic Community of West African States, has called for the immediate release of Bazoum, who it says remains the legitimate president of Niger.

The bloc, which Niger is a member of, has also called for a return to constitutional order in Nigel without delay.

ALJAZEERA.

UN humanitarian operations ‘on hold’ in Niger

UN humanitarian operations have been suspended in Niger due to a coup in the troubled Sahel country, spokesman Stephane Dujarric says.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs “is telling us that humanitarian operations are currently on hold given the situation”, Dujarric said.

ALJAZEERA.