Blind Date Turned Proposal by Mr. Adeel

Welcome to our community

Looks like you don't have an account yet? Be apart of something great, join today! Create account to get more access like posting, reacting to others helpful post and your own private message Register Or Login

Description of Novels
Author:
Mr Adeel
Title: Blind Date Turned Proposal Ra Genre: Romance
Language: English Read Online Pages: Ongoing

On the day of the blind date, the man turned out to be fat, short, and greasy! What could she do but run? Josie Warren was about to escape when the man at the next table stopped her. Why was this man so familiar? He… he was her immediate superior, Dexter Russell, a rich tycoon worth millions! What he said next surprised her immensely. “Josie, what about marrying me?” Marriage? Had Dexter been crushing on her for years? Did he set up this blind date to accidentally bump into her? Only highly skilled hunters would appear like prey. So why not! He had the looks and the money, after all. Josie acted on it instead of thinking about it. “Sure! Let’s get married! I will do as you wish and

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 392 Know Your Place

Dexter filled Mark’s wineglass and said, “I heard Sum say that your lower back isn’t doing too well recently. I’ve made an appointment for you with Wavery’s best doctor. Go for physiotherapy when you’re free.”

“Don’t bother. It’s a recurring issue,” Mark said, “it seems like you’re close with Sum recently.”

“She’s in charge of the Russell Group research project in Vaste. We have business dealings,” Dexter answered calmly. It didn’t sound strange.

Mark understood. “I will advise her.”

After they dispersed, Dexter left the hotel. He sent Mark to the car and instructed the driver to drive safely.

Mark sat in the backseat and looked past Dexter to look at Josie. “Come here.”

Dexter stepped back darkly while Josie went forward. She said with a smile, “Mr. Olsen.”

“To be honest with you, I was astonished when I saw the news.” Mark didn’t avoid it at all.

Josie’s smile froze. “I think you’ve misunderstood.”

“I won’t let Sum wreck your marriage, providing you don’t hurt her. But if she insists, I will help her as her father. Ms. Warren, I’m advising you nicely to know your place.”

This was a warning.

Josie’s expression didn’t change. “Mr. Olsen, Ms. Olsen’s feelings are unrequited.”

There was finally a trace of surprise on Mark’s calm face for the first time that night. “Sum?”

Josie nodded. She straightened up, backed away, and the driver started the engine before driving away with Mark.

Under such a circumstance, she had no other choice. She could only follow Dexter.

It was peak hour, and the roads were filled with cars. The traffic was terrible. No matter how good Dexter’s car was, it couldn’t fly. He was powerless as his car was stuck in traffic. It couldn’t move..

The air in the car was tense.

Josie sat in a corner and held on to a water bottle tightly as she texted Wyatt. She told him to leave and that the matter was settled.

Surprised, he asked her how she did it, but Josie stopped replying.

Moses was driving today. He sensed that the air was strange, so he made conversation to alleviate the

-situation.

“The traffic in Wavery is almost like in the city. Do they want to retain millions of college graduates with such traffic? How absurd.”

Josie’s grip loosened, and her wattle bottle fell to Moses feet. He didn’t dare to crouch down and pick it up. She was silent. On the other end, Dexter had an awful expression. He didn’t say a word. His ominous

demeanor made the temperature drop. Josie didn’t understand why he was angry. Shouldn’t he be happy to

see me in such a state now?

“I didn’t know you were coming to Mandarin Oriental today. I didn’t do it on purpose.” She finally said something.

Dexter looked at her coldly.

“I hadn’t planned on going to Mandarin Oriental today.” His intention was clear. He had gone there for

her.

Josie pursed her lips. “So, are you satisfied now that you’ve seen me?” Is he satisfied after seeing me in such a predicament?

“Did you harass me for a life like this?” Dexter suppressed his rage. “You’re pretty good at acting like a tyrant at home, but you’re meek and civil in public. Do you know who Mark Olsen is? He can easily destroy you with the flick of his wrist.”

She felt his rage and didn’t move.

Josie’s mind was still replaying what Mark had said to her.

Mark had humiliated her, so Dexter’s words didn’t affect her.

She didn’t retort or say anything. After a moment, she said, “Are you done?”

Dexter raised his brows.

Josie nodded. “That’s right. This is my life now. I don’t have the right to resist at all.”

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 393 We Won’t Have Many More Arguments

His frown deepened.

“Furthermore, his humiliation is only a tenth of how you’ve humiliated me, Mr. Russell.”

There was something else she didn’t say aloud.

I’m in such a situation thanks to you. You’re an indifferent bully. You have no right to reprimand me.

Dexter ran his tongue over his teeth and stared at her outfit. “Who gave you this dress?”

Josie had yet to realize the severity of the matter, and she continued infuriating him. “Does it look good? Do you think that I look like your so–called late friend too? I like it.”

“Josie Warren,” Dexter said in a low voice.

She raised her brows. “In any case, I didn’t do anything shameful. I’m not afraid. Unlike some people with…”

“With what?” He put one hand against the car door and grabbed his hair.

Josie saw his sudden halfhearted expression and abruptly felt her heart race. Her lips parted, and she didn’t hold back. “With an unrestrained private life.”

After she said it, Dexter turned. After a moment, he spoke calmly and enunciated each word. “Say that again.”

Josie realized she had said something wrong and didn’t say anything else. Dexter sneered and said indifferently, “Let us both not overstep boundaries.”

It was as though she was enlightened.

The restlessness in Dexter suddenly rose. At that moment, he slowly came to his senses. The two were playing games, and they felt suspicious and jealous of each other. Neither of them trusted each other.

He said something nasty. “I look at other women, and you look at other men. We just reunite occasionally. Isn’t this great? Perhaps we’ll spend the latter part of our lives together. So what if this life ends? Don’t I treat you well enough? You can’t push your luck when I’m being so kind to you.”

Even if he was right, he spoke coldly.

Josie held her cell phone tightly, and her hands felt icy. Her heart also felt cold.

The air suddenly turned frosty.

Their conversation ended.

The traffic up ahead cleared, and Moses drove forward. The vehicle sped ahead quickly. Josie fastened her seat belt and didn’t say anything.

After a moment, Dexter realized Josie didn’t continue speaking, and the rage in his heart increased.

The car suddenly stopped at the entrance of Mason Garden with a screech. Dexter turned to look at Josie. “You’re pretty brave.”

1/2

“You’re wrong. Mr. Russell. I lack nothing but courage.

Otherwise, why would I abandon my self–esteem again and again after being with you?

“Am I wrong? What was wrong with what I said? Why do I have to be on the receiving end of your anger for no reason? Sometimes I really want to ask. If you were the one who suggested setting this relationship up in the first place, why am I treated like a criminal now?”

After that, Dexter grabbed Josie’s face and sneered. “Do you regret it?”

“Yes.” She looked at him.

Dexter nodded. “It’s a shame that the one billion hasn’t been repaid. Don’t think of leaving my side if you don’t want the people around you to be hurt.”

The love that used to exist between them was now used to threaten and take advantage of each other.

Josie shook his hands away viciously. She opened the car door and exited before she walked into Mason Garden. Mrs. Carroll saw her and said, “Mrs. Russell, did you argue with Mr. Russell again?”

Again… Josie scoffed. If this continues. “We won’t have that many more arguments.”

In the car, Dexter leaned back and shut his eyes. Moses couldn’t help but say, “Why didn’t you explain it to her?”

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 394 Paul Wakes Up

“Explain what?”

“To tell her, of course, that you initially had an important engagement today, but you left everything behind and rushed over when you found out she was with Mark,” Moses said emotionally. “Even I can tell that you lost a lot tonight.”

With the project, Arnold could spontaneously recover since Dexter had abandoned it. It was a massive loss

to Dexter.

But what did it matter? Dexter massaged his temples. “She won’t care. She will think that I deserve it.”

Moses couldn’t help but smile. “Actually, you love her a lot, right?”

“Love?” Dexter thought about it.

He didn’t stay in Mason Garden tonight, so Josie slept on the big, empty bed. She awoke in the middle of the night and reached out beside her, but it was cold. She sighed deeply in the night. At this time, her cell phone on the bedside table rang.

She was startled, and she looked at the caller ID. She was astonished that it was Matthew. She sat up, and her heart clenched tightly. “Matt.”

She heard hurried gasps on the other end. Matthew couldn’t say anything for a while because he was so emotional.

With one hand on her chest, Josie waited until she heard him say, “Your father is awake.”

In an instant, her body burned up. She wanted to say something but couldn’t say a word. She raised her head, and tears fell on her cheeks. The four long years of waiting had been worth it.

She took a deep breath. “I’ll come right away.”

When she got out of bed, she realized her legs felt weak. She fell into a sitting position on the floor. She envied Summer for having a supportive father when she saw Mark yesterday. Her father was still lying in the hospital, where his survival was unknown. She had felt a substantial disparity.

But things were different now. Josie’s father had awoken… Her father was back!

B

Josie stumbled down the stairs, and it woke Mrs. Carroll, Mrs. Carroll put on a coat and came out of her room. “What’s wrong, Mrs. Russell?”

Before Josie could answer, she opened a drawer and randomly took a pair of ear keys. “I have to leave now!”

“Now?! It’s too late. I’ll call the driver to come and send you.”

But the driver needed some time to come over. Josie shook her head and quickly walked to the garage. “I can go alone.”

A dazzling lineup of Dexter’s cars was in the garage, and most had rarely been driven. Josie looked for the connected car to the car keys she took before driving away from Mason Garden. Mrs. Carroll’s worried figure became smaller in the rearview mirror.

1/2

She lowered the car window and felt the cold breeze to stay awake.

She would no longer be controlled if her father awoke.

The hospital was empty late at night. Josie ran to the hospital room but didn’t dare to enter when she was at the door. Her heart beat hurriedly, and she stood on tiptoe to look into the room through the window. At that moment, tubes were still connected to Paul as he leaned back in his bed and spoke to Matthew.

He seemed to be in a much better mental state.

He was really awake…

Josie opened the hospital room door and looked at the scene in disbelief.

“… Dad.”

The two looked at her when they heard a noise.

Paul sized Josie up, and his eyes were filled with hot tears, which gradually blurred his vision.

Josie walked forward, and Paul had a smile on his face. “Didn’t Matthew tell you not to rush?”

She turned a deaf ear and walked to Paul’s side. Her tears fell uncontrollably, and she hit him gently, She sounded exceedingly grieved. “You slept for so long, old man!”

Paul grabbed her hands and seemed to be in disbelief. “Are you… Jo?”

Josie cried harder. “You can’t even recognize me!”

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 395 She’s Married

Paul shook his head hard and held her hand tightly. “Of course I do. How can I forget you, my darling girl.”

Josie leaped into his arms and expressed how upset she had felt for the past four years. “You’re the worst. You made me endure these four years alone. Do you know how it has been for me?!”

With her father around, she could complain and throw a tantrum freely. It was as though she found someone to rely on again.

Josie had never felt as happy as she did now.

Paul listened to her and nodded repeatedly. He kept repeating. “I know. It’s been tough for you, Jo. It’s my fault…

Matthew left the hospital room. He shut the door and gave the father and daughter alone time out of consideration.

Josie cried for a long time. She rose when she was done. “Take care of yourself. You don’t have to care about anything else, okay? Just stay by my side from now on.”

Paul nodded. He reached out to wipe the tears on Josie’s face and said sincerely, “While I was unconscious for the past four years, she and Justin didn’t make things difficult for you, did she?”

It went without saying who ‘she’ was, Josie was quiet for a moment before she shook her head. “Don’t worry. I’ve been able to stand on my own. I stopped interacting with them.”

Paul was intelligent, and he quickly understood what she meant. He didn’t criticize her. Instead, he said worriedly, “From what Matthew said, you’re already working as the head of a design department. Jo, I’m thrilled you succeeded in the field you like. But it’s too exhausting to live alone…”

Josie understood what he meant. She pursed her lips and thought he would find out sooner or later, so she told him. “Pop, I’m married.”

Paul froze and looked at her in disbelief. His eyes were dark, and he almost couldn’t catch his breath.

Josie immediately held onto him and quickly added, “He… he treats me well. I wouldn’t have known how to care for you without him.”

Paul recovered slightly when he heard it. “I thought I was out briefly, but years have passed. My darling girl is married in the blink of an eye.”

Josie concealed her sadness and frustration.

“No wonder I always heard an unfamiliar man’s voice talking to me while I was unconscious.”

She smiled bitterly and said, “That’s right. Don’t worry. I’m doing well.”

But Paul didn’t believe her. “Why did you come alone in the middle of the night? Where’s he?”

“He… he’s on a business trip and hasn’t been in Wavery recently. I’ll ask him to come and visit you once he’s back.” She couldn’t help but lie at this point.

Paul was skeptical. He pulled her to sit down. “How is he like?”

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 396 Residual Effects

She still felt it was unreal before she slept. “Pop, am I dreaming?”

Paul stroked her head. “Don’t worry. Go to sleep. I’ll be around tomorrow.”

Perhaps it was because she slept by her dad’s side. It was rare for Josie to sleep so soundly.

When she awoke the next day, she saw her dad leaning against his bed. He was awake. She smiled and said, “Good morning, Pop.”

Paul also smiled. Such ordinary days were rare for the father and daughter.

Matthew came to inspect Paul with the nurses and was satisfied with Paul’s signs. Matthew told Josic, “It’s a miracle that Mr. Warren woke up. He just needs to recuperate and rest well after this. Everything is fine.”

Josie was overjoyed, and she thanked him sincerely. “Matt, thank you for the past four years.”

After the two had talked things through the last time, Matthew could only restrain his adoration for her. He forced a smile. “It’s what I should do. I hope that you won’t feel burdened from today onward.”

Josie pulled him to one side and asked softly, “Aren’t there any residual effects after he was in a coma for four years?”

Matthew was silent as he pondered. He was honest. “His memory might be poor.”

“Is it severe? He looks good now.”

“Not very. Mr. Warren might not remember very well memories from long ago. You can help to jog his memory.” Matthew explained.

Josie didn’t quite understand but said, “I’ll see what I can do.”

After Paul awoke, it alerted many of his old friends. They immediately came with gifts, and Josie was pushed to the corner as she watched them in exasperation.

She thought about it and called the man. The call went through, but no one answered.

Josie called again, and it was answered this time. “Dex.

I’m Summer.” The other party was honest. “Dex and I are in a meeting, and his cell phone is with me. Why are you looking for him?”

With the tone Summer used, it was as though she was Dexter’s wife.

It was an honest explanation, but Josie could feel their closeness upon closer inspection. Summer must have been someone important to keep Dexter’s personal cell phone.

Josie choked. “I understand. May I trouble you to pass a message to him to call me? I have something urgent to tell him.“

She was just about to hang up when Summer asked, “What is it?”

“… Family matters.”

“Oh. Just remember what I said.” After that, Summer hung up.

Josie leaned against the wall and watched Paul surrounded by people. For a moment, she had complex feelings.

She was in the hospital the whole day today. Wyatt called her and thanked her for conquering Mark. “If he’s willing to invest money, funding won’t be too big a problem once the project is in operation.”

Josie was a lot more relieved. “That’s good. By the way, can you help me with something. Wyatt?”

“Of course. Tell me.”

“Help me… look for a house.”

“House? Are you…

“Yes, for a long-term stay. It would be best if it’s suitable for older people to live and recuperate in. It can’t be too far from the city center either, Josie continued, “help me look for one. I’ll pay you once you find a suitable one.”

She still had money that she had saved up. She could rent a house.

Paul wouldn’t stay too long in the hospital in his condition. He had to stay in a proper place. It would be impossible to return to the Warren family.

“Don’t be so polite. Leave it to me. I’ll arrange for it within two days.”

She was satisfied by that.

When Jenny heard that Paul had awoken, she insisted on rushing to the hospital. Josie’s bodyguards asked Josie for instructions, and Josie said, “Let her try, but don’t let her in.”

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 397 His Feelings

Paul had learned of Jenny’s actions in the past four years. He told Josie, “I’ll divorce her once I recover.”

His son was nowhere to be seen before his bed. Furthermore, Josie wasn’t his biological daughter, but she still cared for him faithfully for four years. Her devotion to him was evident. It would be disgraceful of him if he didn’t believe her.

Furthermore, his relationship with Jenny had long fizzled out.

In the evening. Dexter called Josie back. When her cell phone rang, she was eating with her dad. He glanced at her phone and said, “You can answer it.”

Josie got up. Dexter must have been in a long meeting because his voice was hoarse. “What is it?”

Josie was dumbstruck. She wanted to say something but couldn’t. She had complicated feelings. “I’ll be waiting for you at Mason Garden tonight around ten. Can you come back for a while?”

He was silent and only agreed after a moment.

Josie didn’t stay overnight at the hospital tonight. She left early and loitered nearby before ultimately going to Heaven on Earth.

Calvin personally greeted her. “What’s wrong?”

Josie hugged her knees and sat on the couch. Her long hair fell and covered half her face. She watched as Calvin personally poured her a cup of tea, and the mist slowly rose from its warmth. She said honestly, “I don’t know how to face our path in the future. I had no other way, so I came to look for you.”

She didn’t know why. She had been enduring it for a year but suddenly didn’t want to hold on any longer.

Calvin nodded. As someone on the inside, he knew everything better than anyone else.

It was because she cared enough.

A smile was on the corners of Calvin’s lips. He said, Josic, do you think Dexter has no feelings for you?”

“Isn’t it obvious? Have you seen anyone who is so merciless to the woman they like? He’s indecisive between me and her, and he just let me take on the debt of one billion.”

Calvin smiled. “If that’s what you think, you should get one thing straight before you get confused. You don’t actually understand Dexter.”

Josie furrowed her brows tightly. She didn’t understand what he meant.

“I don’t dare to say how much I understand you, but I know Dexter well enough… Furthermore, you’re at the end of the road. If you don’t hold on to him, it goes without saying how difficult it will be from now

“Let me tell you a story. You know that Dexter has a unique identity. Even while he was overseas, many secretly wanted him. In war, finding someone’s soft spot is the best strategy. Back then, everyone thought his soft spot was Summer, and a gang kidnapped her to threaten Dexter. Guess what he did. He was incredibly calm and didn’t spend any money. He ignored the other party’s threat of killing the hostage and saved Summer by himself. But of course, I’m not telling you that she’s unimportant to him. In reality, she’s not important enough.”

“From what I can remember, Dexter has always been synonymous with being calm and indifferent. But recently, when he stayed here for a few days, he went nuts when fooling around. Although that was the case, he didn’t touch any woman. I can see that something has changed in him. Don’t doubt me. I have no need to lie to you.”

Calvin picked up a teacup and handed it to Josie, smiling nonchalantly.

“When did this happen?” Josie didn’t know about it.

“While you were recovering. It was also when Dexter’s rumors with Summer were widely reported.”

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 398 He’s Not Back

“Think about it carefully. Has Dexter ever given you a chance while entangled with other people? He wasn’t the only reason you must take up the debt of one billion

Josie felt it was a lot to process, and she looked at Calvin in a daze. She subconsciously retorted, “He said our marriage is purely business.”

“Don’t listen to him. Look at how you feel.”

At ten at night in Mason Garden.

“Mrs. Russell, Mr. Russell isn’t… at home today, a servant said to Josie respectfully and apologetically.

The confidence she had from Calvin’s conversation vanished at once. Josie had imagined Dexter’s reactions when he saw her, whether he would look at her coldly or contemptuously. She was ready for all of it. But he didn’t even return in the end!

Josie kepta calm demeanor. “Do you know where he went?”

I don’t.

Josie hesitated for a moment. She couldn’t do anything else. She entered the master bedroom and waited for Dexter’s return there. It was already ten o’clock. If he hadn’t returned, what was he doing?

There was no change in the master bedroom’s layout. His strong scent was in the air. Her heart raced

time she breathed in. It made her long for him.

every

The bed was messy. Josie clearly remembered that it was neat before she left.

The door to the balcony was open. When Josie walked out, she smelled a strong odor of cigarettes. Josie frowned out of habit. She disliked such a smell.

She composed herself and realized that the ashtray on the table was filled with cigarette butts. Some were extinguished halfway through. The room was silent, and Josie’s heart trembled. She heard nothing but the

breeze.

Dexter didn’t return in the end. She didn’t like feeling cold, so she shriveled in bed, only taking up a small

coffier

When Josie opened her eyes again, what enveloped her was still the silent darkness. It was ice cold. She found her cold cell phone in bed. She turned on the screen, and the time showed that it was three in the morning

He had yet to return.

Josie’s drowsiness instantly disappeared. She forcefully sat up and slowly bent her legs. She hugged her knees and suddenly felt very defeated and upset. Look you overestimated yourself.

She stayed in that position for a long time until she heard the sudden click of the door opening. She looked up abruptly like a deer in headlights Unimaginable thoughts played out in her mind, and her guard was up.

In the pitch-dark room, Josie heard careless footsteps from the direction of the bathroom. They walked to the bed, carrying a familiar shower scent. She only heard her heart beating loudly and clearly like a drum.

The other party walked to the bed and stopped in front of her.

Josie felt his burning gaze on her. It was hard to bear.

After a while, the other party finally moved. He suddenly crouched down and reached out both hands as though wanting to hug her. His arms passed through her trembling figure, and she held her breath as she

shivered.

He leaned closer and turned on a nightlight on the bedside table behind her.

There was suddenly light.

Everything came into vision, and Josie widened her eyes in a daze as she looked at what was happening before her. The man was as handsome as usual. At that moment, his face was mere inches away from hers. He was crouched down, kneeling next to her on one knee. Only a towel was around his waist, and she could see everything else. His body was still wet after his shower, and his eyes were eerily bright.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 399 His Softer Side

He had a silent yet imposing demeanor. Josie’s anxiety peaked at this moment, and everything she had prepared to say suddenly vanished.

It was too abrupt. Josie didn’t know how to react for å moment.

You’re back, Josie said softly when she came to her senses slightly.

But at the next moment, the man exerted force and pounced on her. He forcefully pushed her down. beneath him, and Josie gasped lightly. Her hands pushed against his firm and muscular chest.

The man’s gaze was slightly thoughtful. He buried her head in her neck and finally said, “When did you

come?”

Josie’s heart was still beating furiously. “Don’t you know?”

“Were you planning to keep waiting like this if I didn’t return today?”

His warm breath sprayed into her delicate ear. It itched slightly.

“I said I would wait for you….

Dexter stirred slightly.

“My engagement was too long, and I was held up,” he explained to her.

He thought of how the servant on duty told him when he returned to the villa not long ago that Josie had been waiting for him for a long time.

When he opened the master bedroom’s door, the woman was shriveled up on the bed and had fallen asleep. She was sleeping quietly and soundly and only took up a small part of the corner. Her black hair was spread out, and her pale face was slightly flushed.

It was as though Dexter’s restless heart had suddenly found its home the moment he saw her. He wanted. to wake the woman, but he stopped. He backed away and sat at one side, silently sizing her up with a dim light.

She seemed to have dreamed of something, and her chest suddenly heaved. She was mumbling and saying something softly.

He leaned closer to hear and was astonished. Josie was saying, “Dexter…”

He understood her thoughts.

Josie had an air of arrogance, but she wasn’t stubborn. She was good at giving in and knew how to solve her problems. She didn’t have outstanding abilities, but she was good at moving others in small ways.

It’s enough. Dexter thought to himself as he pushed her down.

She showed her softer side by taking this step toward him, which hit his soft spot. At such a stage, he didn’t hesitate.

His kisses landed on her lips one after another before moving to her shoulders and neck. He quickly warmed her up, and she started to feel hot. He familiarly undid her clothes. Josie didn’t understand him. She restrained herself and cried, “I have something to say…

But she scarcely realized that her soft cries aroused his desires.

Dexter’s hand paused for a split second and only a split second. He was fired up again. “Keep it to yourself. I can’t guarantee I’ll show mercy after you tell me.”

In other words, he meant, don’t speak if you don’t want to be tormented tonight.

Josie wasn’t stubborn. She knew his ways, and she stopped resisting.

The sound of her clothes ripping brought Josie back to her senses. She suddenly thought of something, and her eyes widened. Dexter moved faster than her and sat up a little. He looked down, sized up her outfit amid the chaos, and smiled faintly. “Josie Warren, you dressed in such a way to talk to such a dangerous man like me?”

He said the last two words in a higher pitch.

Josie only wore black silk shorts, and nothing was concealed. Under the dim amber light, the woman’s porcelain skin was tantalizing. Anything close fitting roused him.

It invoked his emotions, his desires, and his heart.

Josie’s face flushed a crimson red. She knew she had nowhere to escape, so she gave up and turned her head away as a sign of silent resistance.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 400 I’m Sorry

At the next moment, the man quickly removed her hands, and the desire in his eyes was unrestrained. His changes were evident, and his warm body enveloped hers. His voice was gratingly hoarse. “You enticed me, Josie,”

The two bodies that hadn’t come into contact with each other for a long time were familiarly intertwined with boundless lust. They went all the way and spent a passionate night together.

What could men entice women with?

Their skills, good looks, and belongings.

Dexter happened to have all of the above.

When it ended, the sun had risen entirely outside. The woman’s hair was soaked under him. He narrowed his eyes, and she looked pristine.

Dexter suddenly felt something scratch his chest. It itched. He leaned over and smiled brightly at her. “Good morning.

Josie wanted to push him away but had no strength.

The man felt relaxed even though he had exerted more energy. He picked her up from the bed and carried her into the bathroom.

Dexter gently placed Josie into the bathtub filled with warm water. As he washed her body in the water with a towel, Josie couldn’t stand the pressure when he reached her bosom. She grabbed his hand and said, “I have something to say.”

That’s right. Josie persevered as he conquered her forcefully because she was waiting to speak.

Dexter didn’t react. After a long time, he said thoughtfully, “Are you sure you want to tell me now?”

Josie froze and immediately let go of his hand. She said dully, “Yes.”

This time, Dexter didn’t stop her. He continued cleaning her and said indifferently, “Tell me.”

She almost couldn’t get the words out when faced with his headstrong attitude.

Calvin was right. Even if she didn’t think of herself, she had to think of her future.

She had to hold on to Dexter regardless of the reason.

She took a deep breath, and in a spurt of energy, she spoke extremely indifferently. “For so long, I kept warning myself. You ruthlessly pushed me into the target of criticism and chose to sacrifice me. You treated me poorly, and I wanted to note it down so I could slowly retaliate twofold… but… but I…”

She was being unintelligible, and it was hard to understand her. All her great words were useless at that

moment.

Dexter didn’t stop. He stood behind her and gathered her hair before tying it into a bun. The marks of his kisses appeared on the back of her neck.

He finally said, “But you can’t bear to. Am I right?”

Josie shivered slightly, and she felt that the water in the bathtub had suddenly become bone-chilling. Calvin hadn’t lied to her. Dexter was brilliant, and he could see through anyone’s deepest emotions. He was like an all-knowing mirror regarding certain things. But he didn’t expose Josie as a way of retaining her dignity.

“Although I don’t think I did anything wrong this time, I want to apologize for standing on the opposite end and creating trouble for you.” Her apology was sincere.

Various emotions surged in Dexter’s eyes. He carried her up and put a towel around her like a child. Only her head was seen. Her big and wide eyes were looking at him apprehensively.

“I can’t believe you’re saying such things. Is it really you?”

“Also, Josie ignored him and continued, “my father woke up.”

As he was drying her hair, his actions stopped.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 401 Interrogating His Son-In-Law

Josie took a nap and slept until the afternoon. Opening her eyes, she realized Dexter had awoken and was working on the couch.

“Are you up?”

“Mm.” Her eyes weren’t fully open.

“Let’s go to the hospital after you freshen up.”

“Mm.” Josie was in a daze but quickly came to her senses. “Hmm?!”

She wanted Dexter to go to the hospital and visit her dad with her. Still, she never thought he would initiate it before she even mentioned it.

In the evening, Josie and Dexter walked into the hospital room together. They seemed to be laughing and chatting with each other.

Dexter was handsome, and he had gifts in his hands. It was an astonishing scene at one glance.

It wasn’t the head nurse’s first time seeing him. She was very friendly. “Ah, you’re here again, Mr. Russell How thoughtful.”

Dexter was courteous and polite. “I came to visit my elder.”

The word ‘elder’ was vague.

The head nurse’s gaze fell on his hand that was holding Josie’s. She paused and continued smiling.

She moved away, and Paul, resting on the hospital bed, saw Dexter.

Dexter leaned over and shook Paul’s hand with a smile. “Mr. Warren, I’m Jo’s husband. I’m sorry for coming so late. I’ve been busy recently.”

Paul had been delighted when he learned his daughter was married, but his pupils shrank when he saw Dexter’s appearance. It was as though he saw something unimaginable. The grip of his handshake tightened. “You”

Dexter looked at Paul cautiously and furrowed his brows. His feigned kindness faded.

Paul shivered at Dexter’s gaze.

Josie was already nervous. She subconsciously wanted to walk forward when she saw the two silent.

At that moment, Paul smiled. “Hello. I heard Jo mention it. Are you a Russell?”

“Yes. Dexter Russell. You can call me Dex.

Paul had a radiant smile.

Josie felt anxious. Not many called Dexter ‘Dex. Now, Dexter added her dad to the list.

“Alright.” Paul pointed at Josie. “Leave for a while. I want to talk to Dex in private.”

Dexter smiled in response.

“Huh? What are you going to talk about?” Josie didn’t know what her dad wanted to say, but the head nurse was wise and pushed Josie out of the room. “Don’t you understand? Your dad wants to interrogate him?”

Josie subconsciously wanted to enter again when the door shut but was stopped. “What are you doing? Are you so concerned for your man?”

“It’s not… Josie couldn’t say why. She couldn’t think of what her dad and Dexter would talk about. They seemed to be from different worlds.

“Never mind.”

She walked to a bench in the corridor and sat down. It was a wonderful feeling. Someone was supporting her, and she was no longer alone.

“I think Mr. Russell is pretty good but doesn’t seem ordinary. It’s alright for your dad to talk to his son-in-

law.”

Josie thought to herself. That’s what I’m afraid of.

At that moment, in the room.

Dexter was standing, towering over the old man on his sickbed, because Paul had said, “You’re Dexter Russell from Russell Group.”

Paul was confident. It astonished Dexter.

“Do you know who I am, Mr. Warren?”

Paul looked at him for a long time and suddenly laughed. I’ve been bedridden and can only watch television. I see you on the news every day. How can I not recognize you?”

I see.

Dexter nodded. He was aware that Paul was his father-in-law.

“Don’t worry, Mr. Warren. I’ll treat Jo well.”

Paul’s gaze drifted, and he seemed to be using a lot of effort to speak. “How did you two meet?”

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 402 Asking for Their Divorce

Dexter answered in a well-behaved manner, “She’s a Russell Group employee, and I fell for her at first sight.”

“Which part of her attracted you?”

“You don’t seem very confident in your daughter, Mr. Warren.

“You don’t have an ordinary identity,” Paul said calmly. Although he was in a coma for four years, he was a good judge of character. Nothing Dexter did was ordinary. Paul wouldn’t believe it if nothing else was involved in the marriage.

“Jo is now Mrs. Russell. I will protect her thoroughly, whether among the society or the internal Russell family. Please don’t worry.”

“What about everything else?”

“What?”

“What if I want you to divorce Jo? Can you do it?”

Dexter raised the corner of his eye slightly. He was a little surprised. He seemed to understand who Josie inherited her temper from.

“Is something wrong with me?” He guessed it was because of his identity, and Paul feared his daughter would feel wronged.

“You’re the business executor of Russell Group. You can have any woman you want. Jo is gullible. As her father, I have to think about her future.

His words were filled with distrust and doubt.

Dexter adjusted Paul’s IV. He guessed that Paul must have seen the tabloids, so he said indifferently, I’m afraid not.

“What do you mean?” Paul was vigilant.

Dexter sat down. It was as though he was in a negotiation. “I didn’t sign any prenuptial agreement with her. She will suffer much hardship if we separate someday.”

“She is now Mrs. Russell and lives a great life. My grandfather treats her well, and there’s no reason to get a divorce.”

“I don’t want to get into unnecessary details about our relationship. I’ve fulfilled my duty by coming to visit you today. It’s my responsibility. As I said, I will treat Jo well.”

This was genuine.

A man was convincing another man and requesting to take care of his daughter.

Paul slowly calmed down. It seemed like he knew he couldn’t reverse a desperate situation, so he shut his eyes and kept quiet.

Dexter waited patiently.

Paul finally spoke after a long time. His voice trembled slightly. “I want you to sign a divorce agreement with your name on it, then give it to me for safekeeping.”

Dexter’s expression changed.

Paul was trying to gain the upper hand on Dexter after awakening from his coma.

Dexter froze for a moment, and his brows instantly furrowed.

But Dexter quickly composed himself. He had a cold and complicated expression.

Paul smiled, and he looked like a kind, older man. “I just want a safeguard for my daughter. Is it too much to ask, Mr. Russell?”

Dexter’s gaze was dangerous. He tried to regain control. “If I don’t want to, what will you do?”

Paul didn’t panic. He didn’t see much in this young man, but he could see that Dexter cared for Josie.

“Then I’m afraid there will be a barrier between you and Jo because of me.”

Dexter quickly weighed the pros and cons mentally. Perhaps he was already at a disadvantage in some

ways.

Dexter left the hospital room half an hour later.

Josie immediately looked up. “What did my dad say to you?”

Dexter wrapped his arms around her delicate waist tightly. Indistinct yet visible resentment was on his face. He said, “He just asked about work.”

“What did you say?”

Dexter suddenly had a piercing gaze as he scrutinized Josie’s reaction.

She was worried and nervous.

Why is she nervous?

The man had a faint smile. “Josie, are you afraid that I’ll hurt your family?”

Josie was momentarily startled.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 403 Divorce Agreement

This went without saying.

But they were husband and wife. Could Josie say such a thing? She couldn’t answer.

The two were silent, and it weighed on their emotions.

“I was just asking. Don’t take it to heart.” In the end, Dexter reached out to pat her head.

To Josie, it felt like he was coaxing a puppy.

He knew Josie had requested Wyatt to look for a house, so he said, “Since you’ve asked him for help, you don’t have to torment yourself. I will pay him. You don’t have to worry.” He paused. “This includes your dad’s follow–up/treatment and rehabilitation. Someone will take over.”

Josie leaned against the wall as she listened to him. She looked at him thoughtfully. “Mr: Russell, is this the benefit of confessing my feelings?”

Dexter looked slightly displeased. “These are Mrs. Russell’s privileges.”

“Oh, privileges. But, of course, not everyone can take up a debt of one billion,” Josie said peculiarly, Dexter held her waist. It was a threat. “Russell Group will help Wyatt’s project from the inside. Cashflow will resume within a month. It won’t take too long to repay the debt of one billion.”

Josie’s eyes lit up. After she was honest with him last night, he seemed to be different. At this time, she understood what Calvin had said. I must think about my future.

The following day, the IT department came to justify their work. Dexter overruled almost everything they said. He was in a foul mood, and they were asking for trouble because they had the nerve to present items of poor quality for Dexter to look over.

His secretary silently sympathized with her colleagues as she stood behind Dexter. They couldn’t avoid working overtime for at least one week.

Dexter chased them out and sipped his coffee. His temper didn’t seem to have dissipated.

His secretary gripped the documents in her hands tightly. She felt like crying, but she braced herself instead. “Mr. Russell, this is the divorce agreement you instructed me to draft. There are two copies.”

The secretary was sure that this document… was the cause of Dexter’s bad mood. His expression was icy. But this was a divorce agreement…

“Stop guessing. Josie is still Mrs. Russell.” Dexter suddenly looked down and glared.

The secretary hung her head and didn’t think about it further. “I understand.”

Dexter signed his name with much force. It looked unsightly on the paper.

“Send them to the hospital.” Dexter recited an address. “Don’t let anyone see this.”

He threw the other copy into a drawer in his office.

Dexter generously added other privileges to the agreement besides the reasonable conditions Paul had

raised.

If they divorced, he would give three percent of the shares under his name to Josie, including the Mason Garden property, a few villas overseas, and the farm.

It was worth a lot.

The countless zeros showed how well he was treating her.

He was repaying her sincere feelings.

After leaving her job at Russell Group, Josie had been helping Wyatt. It wasn’t easy for her to settle down, and she wasn’t in a rush to look for a new job. She spent her time with Paul.

After some difficulty, he was discharged, and Josie arranged a house for him. She kept him company as he recuperated every day. Dexter visited him several times but didn’t stay long because he was busy.

Paul thought of something and brought up Old Mr. Russell. “Now that I’ve recovered slightly, is it time to put your wedding back on the agenda?”

Josie was surprised and avoided his inquiring gaze. “We haven’t talked about this with Grandpa yet. Pop, we’ve been married for over a year. We don’t care about such formalities. It’s fine.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 404 Returning A Favor

“Since it’s a formality, you can see if he cares for you. Jo, I know you, and I know what he must do to give you a sense of security.” Paul pulled her arm. “Is there an ulterior motive?”

No matter what, Josie couldn’t be honest. “No… We’ll do it later. He’s busy recently.”

If Summer saw them having a wedding, she would want to kill Josie.

This was no longer concerning just the two of them. It was a power struggle.

Josie received news from Arnold one week later. He told her that his wedding with Eileen was canceled, and the debt of one billion was repaid.

Josie didn’t know how he had done it.

“I heard that you’re now free?” Arnold’s voice sounded relaxed on the phone.

Josie quickly understood what he meant. “I’m not in a rush to work.”

“Help me do something since I saved you once.”

Josie was dumbstruck.

He wanted her to help Carter Group close a project. There was competitive bidding on a new area in Wavery.

“Don’t worry. I’m not Russell Group’s competitor this time,” Arnold said half–teasingly, but he was considerate.

Josie was relieved. Ultimately, she asked, “How did you save Carter Group?”

“Dexter and I have information on each other.” Arnold avoided her question. His voice was cold. “Josie, he can never completely defeat me. No matter how many times he tries, neither side will win.”

His animosity was apparent. Josie thought of his father and didn’t ask further.

She stayed up late daily to work to prepare the tender document for him because of the favor she owed him.

Dexter didn’t ask much when he saw her suddenly getting busy. She wasn’t sure if he knew that Carter Group was participating in the competitive bidding. Still, she didn’t plan to say anything before he asked.

After a few days, Dexter returned to Mason Garden at eleven at night. He looked for her in the master bedroom and the study room but didn’t see Josie.

He asked the servants, “Is Josie back yet?”

“Not yet. Maybe she’s still with her father.”

Just as Dexter was about to drive out to look for her, Mason Garden’s doors were opened. Josie was back with a pile of documents.

Her first reaction was to frown when she saw him. After that, she recalled that he seemed to have called her at noon and told her he would return to Mason Garden tonight.

She was so busy that she forgot.

He was still in a suit, so he must not have returned too long ago.

Josie opened her mouth, but before she could say anything, she lost control of the documents in her hands, and they fell to the floor.

The man’s hands appeared in her view. Dexter crouched down and helped pick up her documents before pulling her up. “Why did you bring work home?”

Josie was slightly nervous. “… I’ve been a little busy recently.”

Dexter didn’t push, and she quickly finished her work.

Josie tried her best to focus on work! When she finished the last word, a steaming plate of lasagna was

beside her.

When she looked up, she saw Dexter’s commanding gaze. “Finish it.”

A servant poured a glass of water for Josie.

Dexter watched her eat. Perhaps she was famished. Her cheeks puffed up like a chipmunk, and her eyes were/bright.

A subtle smile was in the corners of the man’s mouth.

Such a harmonious air was unreal to both of them. It was as though nothing had happened, and they were just an ordinary couple.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 405 I Can’t Afford Your Apology

He picked up one of her documents. When he looked at the first page, he raised his brows in surprise.

“Carter Group joined the competitive bidding for this project?”

Josie’s actions stopped, and she was slightly nervous. “I’m returning a favor… This is the last time.”

Dexter quickly skimmed through the document, and she didn’t know what he was thinking. “Aren’t you angry?”

“Arnold used almost two years‘ profit to survive this crisis. It’s hard for me to get angry.”

“It seems like you’re the final victor of this battle,” she teased him softly.

Dexter stared at her plump and fair side profile. He never thought that Arnold would give up the funds in the end rather than go through a marriage of convenience. He was never someone who cared about his own marriage.

He came to his senses and asked a few questions consecutively. “How confident are you? Can you convince the executives to give Carter Group the project? Are you confident with the funds, the current technological measures, or your designs?”

The outline of Dexter’s face looked sharp from Josie’s point of view. It was his usual shrewdness.

Josie paused. She knew he was intentionally giving her advice.

But in other words, he was undoubtedly saying that her tender document was rubbish…..

She fell silent. “Carter Group has its advantages. Regarding factory prospect planning, other companies may not necessarily be the executives‘ best choice.”

Dexter subconsciously wanted to retort that Carter Group was full of problems, and they wouldn’t be chosen in a fierce competition.

But his words were stuck in his throat. He restrained himself from saying anything else.

Josie rose since he didn’t answer her. She walked into the master bedroom and shut the bathroom door hard.

Dexter examined the content of the tender document again. He smiled bitterly as he was reading it.

After all, she had worked hard on it.

Josie was upset with him for a long time. After her shower, she sat on the bed and amended the tender document with a pencil. She circled and made notes on it, and its rustling noise sounded like she was angry at him.

Dexter tried to coax her but to no avail. Ultimately, he suddenly reached out and took the document away from her. He threw it on the table with a slight temper. “Stop looking at it.”

Josie glared and tried to snatch it away, but the man stopped her. She was in a temper, so she threw the pencil in her hand.

The pencil flew past his ear with a slight breeze.

The man used his strength to push her down below him. He said in her ears, “I’m sorry.”

Josie was furious, and she wanted to destroy the man.

She said nothing, so Dexter repeated, “I’m sorry.”

He was the bigger person. It was moving to see him do such a mundane thing as he acted coy and asked for forgiveness from his wife that he had angered.

Josie’s heart raced, and panic streaked across her eyes.

After a while, she hugged his waist and said nonchalantly, “You’re so amazing, Mr. Russell. I can’t afford an apology from you.”

Dexter buried his head in her neck and smirked.

His arms hugged her waist and lingered. “I’ll help you edit this tender document.”

Carter Group’s competitive bid was one week later.

It was calm in the morning, and Josie awoke in the man’s warm embrace.

After that, the two didn’t talk much. They didn’t talk about work at all and only spoke about their mundane everyday life.

She left early and had gone far away when Dexter called after her. He had a coat and carefully put it on her. “It’s cold in the morning.”

“Relax.”

He didn’t say anything else. He only said that.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 406 Don’t Disappoint Me

Josie put her hands into her pockets and smiled lightly. “I’m leaving.”

The man in a cotton shirt put his hands behind his back as he stood on the patio. He watched Josie’s car drive further away, and his loving gaze disappeared when the car vanished from view. He became the aloof Dexter Russell again.

He sat at the dining table and continued eating his unfinished breakfast calmly. He asked his secretary on the phone, “What’s the schedule for this morning?”

“You have to participate in a meeting regarding the list of board members of the newly listed company on the market under Russell Group. You must also find the time to meet the intellectual property rights president.”

“Push everything to the afternoon.”

“Alright.”

Carter Group’s competitive bidding was held in the morning on the tenth floor of a particular hotel.

Josie was attending on behalf of Carter Group. While waiting, she received a call.

It was from Summer. “I heard that your father woke up!”

News had spread fast. Josie kept calm. “I didn’t think you would be so concerned about my father, Ms. Olsen. He did wake up.”

Summer seemed to be playing with something. Josie heard something knocking into each other on her end. “News about Dex going to the hospital to visit your father was kept confidential. Are you afraid of someone finding out?”

“Because Grandpa doesn’t know. If he does, he will rush us to have a wedding.” Josie ignored her insinuations and justified the decision.

“Really? You’re very thoughtful.” Summer sneered. “But since your father is awake, you no longer have to rely on Dex. Isn’t it the right time to free yourself? Don’t tell me you’re too attached and can’t leave him, Ms. Warren.”

This made Josie freeze. She gripped the proposal tightly. After a moment, she said, “Guess where I am right now, Ms. Olsen.”

Summer was dumbfounded and didn’t say anything.

“I’m at a competitive bidding on behalf of Carter Group.”

It clarified her relationship. She was helping Arnold and competing against Dexter. Summer was intelligent and quickly understood.

“Don’t disappoint me. Otherwise, I might do something outrageous.”

Josie was in a cold sweat when the call ended.

Paul had woken up, but she didn’t dare to relax. Dexter was too fickle, Arnold was too siy, and Summer was untrustworthy. None of them could guarantee her safety. She had to send Paul away from Wavery before she could completely relax.

The tenth–floor meeting room was surrounded by French windows. As Dexter stood outside, he could easily see Josie’s actions. He was pleased as he saw her go on stage confidently.

It was ordinary competitive bidding, and many were astonished that Mr. Russell from Russell Group was there. No one expected it. A group of people were curious and wanted to watch him, so it caused a ruckus. Dexter’s secretary stopped them. “Mr. Russell is busy. Please don’t leave a bad impression on him.”

When it was Josie’s turn to speak, she walked on stage and handed in her tender document before giving an account of Carter Group’s stand. She spoke eloquently and acted appropriately. Those who didn’t know her would never suspect that she was,a newcomer in the workforce.

At this time, someone recognized Dexter and rushed to greet him. “Mr. Russell?”

Dexter raised his hand. “Ignore me. I was passing by and came to take a look.”

His secretary’s internal monologue was going wild. I think it was deliberate since you postponed all your work for the morning.

“Do what you need to. Make sure you’re being fair and rational.” Dexter coughed lightly into his fist. At this time, his personal cell phone rang.

It was from Mark.

Dexter had a bad premonition. He looked up at Josie before turning to look for a quiet spot.

The man returned to the meeting room and discussed with his colleagues behind closed doors.

Josie took the opportunity to come out for a breath of fresh air and inadvertently saw a figure that resembled Dexter. She wanted to take another look, but it disappeared.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 407 He’s Not Back

The results of the competitive bidding were released half an hour later.

Josie had left the venue, and Arnold’s staff called her to inform her. “Thank you, Ms. Warren. We won the project.”

Josie smiled. It was what she had expected because Dexter had personally written half the proposal. He hadn’t done such a thing in many years. It was unimaginable.

“Alright.”

The other party paused. “Mr. Carter wants to buy you a meal to thank you next week. Would you do him the honor?”

A red light was ahead, and Josie’s car stopped for a while. “There’s no need. Please help me tell him that I’ve returned his favor. We can act as strangers the next time we meet.”

The other party was startled. Josie had hung up.

After that, she typed a message on her phone slowly before sending it. ‘Are you free today?”

There was no reply, so she sent another message. I’m going to cook at my dad’s place. Do you want to come?’

There was still no reply, so she thought he must have been busy. Her lips curved slightly, and she kept her cell phone. She turned and headed to the supermarket.

Paul was hard at work at his rehabilitation in his residence. He was surprised when he saw her coming in with many bags. “Why did you buy so much food? I can’t finish it.”

Josie smiled craftily. “It’s alright. I’m going to show off my skills today. You haven’t tried my cooking in a long time, have you?”

Paul looked at her adoringly, and his eyes were filled with regret. “Yes. It’s been a long time.”

“It’s all your fault. You slept for so long, so you didn’t have a chance to try my cooking,” Josie said as she started preparing the ingredients.

Dexter sat down and helped her. It was rare for the father and daughter to have alone time, so they cherished it very much.

“You’ve interacted a lot with Dr. Sander in these four years, right?” He asked half-jokingly.

Josie couldn’t help but laugh. “Yes. Matt takes care of us a lot. I wouldn’t know what to do without him these four years.”

Paul nodded. “So, did you ever like him?”

Their conversation was moving too quickly, but Josie kept smiling. She shook her head.

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“You like Dex so much?”

Josie paused as she was peeling potatoes. After a moment, she nodded slowly and solemnly. “Mm. Yes.”

Paul understood. His daughter didn’t want anyone but Dexter. He nodded slowly. “Alright. That’s good.”

Josie never thought her admiration for someone could turn into love. It was a fascinating process. She wanted to stop, but she couldn’t.

She decided to stop being suspicious and jealous. She wanted to talk frankly and openly with Dexter. It would be best if he thought the same.

Josie had great skills. She remembered that Dexter loved Italian food, so she made a variety of piping hot dishes that filled the table. They looked extremely enticing.

But she looked at her cell phone a few times and didn’t see a reply from Dexter.

She pursed her lips and walked to the balcony. She called Dexter, but he didn’t pick up. The endless beeping made her feel downcast. What is he doing? Is he so busy that he can’t look at his cell phone all day?

She sent another message. ‘Are you coming?”

She still didn’t receive a reply.

The sun had set entirely, and the sky was dark. It was eight thirty at night. The news had ended, and the dishes were getting cold, but Dexter had yet to appear.

Paul could guess what had happened when he saw his daughter’s quiet demeanor. He said half-jokingly, “You remembered that I like Italian food. Good job. Let me try.”

Josie forced a smile and took some food for him. “Alright, but you can’t overeat. The doctor says you shouldn’t eat too much sodium because it’s bad for you. Just try a little of everything.”

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 408 They Look Well-Matched

Paul nodded. He gave her a thumbs up and complimented her after he tried each dish.

Josie was in a better mood after that but didn’t eat much. She found to-go boxes in the kitchen and put a little of everything into the boxes. She covered them to stop them from getting cold.

“Pop, leave it there once you’re done. I’ll come back and wash up.” Josie walked to the entrance and changed her shoes. “I’m going out for a while.”

“Jo, Paul called after her. He looked distressed. “For someone like him, nothing he does is normal. If you can’t take it, don’t force yourself. Don’t make yourself miserable.”

In an instant, the rims of Josie’s eyes reddened. She quickly turned away and acknowledged it.

Russell Group was still brightly lit at this time. Corporate slaves lived wretched lives.

Josie had called Dexter’s secretary in advance. She said, “Mr. Russell? He’s still in his office. Mr. Olsen is here, and they’ve been swamped today. Other executives started a trade war, and Russell Group was involved. They’re discussing strategies.”

Josie breathed a sigh of relief when she heard the explanation. “Alright. I understand.”

“Should I remind Mr. Russell to call you back?”

“It’s alright. Let him work.” Josie smiled. She hung up and quickly walked into Russell Group.

A security guard stopped her. I’m sorry, you can’t enter without tapping your card.”

Josie was taken aback. “I… I used to work here. Don’t you recognize me? It’s me.”

The security guard was put in a difficult situation, “I do, but you can’t enter without a card. This is the rule, Why don’t you ask your friend to come and take you in?”

Josie looked for her company ID card in her bag, but it didn’t work anymore because she had left. She couldn’t admit to being Mrs. Russell either because no one would believe her.

“Never mind. I’ll wait here.”

Josie sat in a corner and put on a face mask. It would be too humiliating if her ex-colleagues recognized

her.

She didn’t see a beautiful figure heading to the highest floor in Dexter’s private elevator.

Josie hugged the boxes of food and thought to herself. How busy is he? Can’t he even glance at his cell phone?

As she waited, the boxes in her hands were no longer warm. When she looked at the time, it was eleven o’clock at night.

Josie felt sore from sitting, so she stood up to move about. The security guard said, “Who are you waiting for? Most people have left at this time. How busy is your friend?”

Josie smiled and didn’t say a word.

Just as she turned around, she suddenly saw Dexter’s figure outside the Russell Group building. He was shaking hands and saying goodbye to Mark. A dainty woman stood next to Mark. She had such a

distinguished demeanor that Josie knew it was Summer at one glance.

Summer smiled brightly at Dexter. She even hugged him, and he didn’t push her away.

After that, Mark got into his car, seemingly to give the two alone time.

Josie held her boxes of food and carefully walked closer.

As it turned out, they had come down from Dexter’s private elevator. It was no wonder she didn’t see them.

“I look forward to the next time I see you, Sum. Dexter’s cold voice seemed particularly romantic on this summer night.

Summer turned and smiled. “Alright.”

Their conversation ended, and she left with Mark. Dexter put his hands behind his back and watched them drive off. After that, he went to the garage and didn’t turn back.

Josie watched for a while until her eyes hurt before she looked away.

It was a beautiful scene when the three of them stood together. It was natural, and nothing looked out of place.

Josie didn’t know how she felt, but she didn’t call out to Dexter.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 409 How Did You Offend a Superior?

Dexter’s secretary was waiting for him in the backseat of the car in the garage. After she finished reporting about work to him, Moses stopped the vehicle by the side of the road, and Dexter shut his eyes. He looked exhausted.

Before the secretary exited the vehicle, she said cautiously, “Mr. Russell, Mrs. Russell called me today. She seems to have been looking for you.”

Dexter opened his eyes almost instantly. His gaze was ominous. “When was this?”

“At night.”

Dexter picked up his coat and looked for his personal cell phone. When he turned it on, he saw a few unread messages.

His brows furrowed tightly. “What were the results of Carter Group’s competitive bidding?”

“As expected, they won.”

Dexter instructed Moses to drive to Paul’s house.

It was late, and all the lights were turned off. Dexter waited outside the house and didn’t go in. Under the glow of the streetlight, he seemed dignified yet lonely.

Moses couldn’t help but ask, “Why don’t you explain it to her?”

“I missed the chance to. Anything I say after that is just an excuse.” Dexter massaged his temples and sighed ever so subtly.

Josie was on the last train when her cell phone vibrated. It was a text from Dexter. I was too busy at work and didn’t look at my cell phone.

After a while, she received another message. ‘Sleep well.

She turned off her screen. She knew Dexter was swamped and didn’t look at his cell phone. She empathized with him, but their divide seemed to grow for some reason. However, they were clearly trying hard to bridge the gap between them.

The following day, Josie received a call from Alice. “Jo, I heard the security guard say you came to Russell Group last night but couldn’t go in. Why didn’t you call me? I could have helped you.”

Josie paused, and she felt unspeakably pained. “It wasn’t important. Thanks anyway.”

“Why are you so polite with me?” Alice sighed. “We haven’t met in a while. Do you want to have dinner together?”

“… Sure,

When Josie arrived at the destination at night, she never imagined finding Alice and almost everyone from the design department waiting for her.

She was slightly surprised when she saw the scene before her.

“What’s wrong? Did you forget us after not seeing us for a while?” Someone joked. “Or are you putting on airs because you won first place?”

It was familiar banter. Josie couldn’t help but laugh. She suddenly felt choked up. “I’ll recognize you no matter what.”

Everyone laughed.

They were at a pasta restaurant again. Eating hearty bowls of pasta in the summer was a perfect combination.

Alice pulled Josie and said, “The design department’s head position is vacant and unattended. Everyone missed you, so I asked if anyone wanted to join. I never thought everyone would come.”

They had worked together for so long. They had a camaraderie even if they had gone up against each other.

Josie felt choked up, and she opened a can of beer. She raised it and said to everyone, “Thank you for remembering me, everyone. I was immature in the past and might have offended you while I was being rash. I hope you can forgive me and not take it to heart

Someone quickly said, “Nonsense. We went overboard last time and always picked on you. We hope you don’t take it to heart.”

“That’s right. Don’t say such things.”

“Let’s just forget it happened after this drink.

Everyone finished their drink silently.

After that, someone suggested, “Josie, why don’t you appeal to the higher level? Come back to Russell Group. The design department can’t work without a head.”

Josie’s cheeks flushed, but her mind was sober. She couldn’t return to Russell Group.

“That’s right. How on earth did you offend a superior? Why were you suddenly terminated?”

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 410 Josie’s Husband

Alice observed Josie’s body language and saw that Josie was unwilling to talk, so she quickly stopped the rest from asking. “Why are you so inquisitive? I’m sure she didn’t break the law.”

Josie smiled gratefully at Alice.

Amid the noise, Alice pulled Josie, “How has your life been recently? Isn’t your father in the hospital? Do you have enough money?”

“My father woke up.” Josie was only happy when she talked about her father.

“That’s great.” Alice clinked glasses with Josie. She was happy for Josie. “What about your husband…… Are you two alright?”

Josie sipped her wine, and her face was crimson red. She played dumb. “It’s the usual.”

At the end of the dinner, Josie was drunk.

Alice bid her colleagues farewell one by one as they left.

Josie lay on the table and spoke in an inebriated stupor. “I want to go home…”

Alice leaned closer. “What?”

It was as though Josie had suddenly suffered a great injustice. She started crying. I want to go home.” “Go home?” But Alice didn’t know where Josie lived.

At this time, a male colleague had yet to leave. He walked to Josie and asked Alice, “Why don’t I send her home?”

Alice thought about it and turned him down. She found Josie’s cell phone and looked at her call record. She wanted to call Josie’s family but couldn’t find anyone to call.

She looked at Josie’s recent chat, and the person seemed to be Josie’s husband, so Alice could only call the number.

The other party only answered after a while and didn’t say anything.

Alice stuttered. Hello… Is this Josie’s husband?”

At the same time, Josie was mumbling, and the male colleague asked, “Are you okay, Josie?”

Josie sounded terrible. Her voice was soft, and she clearly seemed drunk. The man on the other end of the call heard everything.

Alice received the man’s directions and sat waiting at the spot.

But the male colleague didn’t understand why Alice didn’t want to leave. He said innocently. “I drove. I can drive you home.”

Alice felt awkward and could only say, “It’s alright. Nothing will happen with me around. You should go home. It’s late.”

The male colleague was uncertain. He looked down at Josie, and when he was just about to leave, Josie

sobered up slightly. She looked up. “I can continue drinking. I’m not drunk!”

The other two were flabbergasted.

Josie’s face was flushed, and she spoke incoherently. She was really drunk.

It was too late for Alice to regret it. She would have stopped Josie from drinking so much if she had known. She consoled Josie, “We’re leaving soon. Stop-drinking, okay?”

Josie shook her head.

The male colleague was amused, and he crouched down before Josie. This was his first time seeing her lose self-control. Although he knew she was outgoing, she was usually reserved in front of others. He never thought she would be like this after drinking.

The male colleague deliberately teased her. “Josie, who am I?”

“… Dex… Arnold?” Her vision was blurry.

“Arnold?” He didn’t understand. “Are you saying that I look like Arnold Carter?”

Josie blinked and thought about it. “No…”

Her gaze suddenly drifted. She saw something, and her face crumpled. She suddenly started crying.

Alice was surprised and followed her gaze.

A tall and handsome figure stood impressively at the door. He wasn’t that much older, and he had a terrible expression. His gaze was weathered yet cold.

He looked familiar, but he seemed out of place. He shouldn’t have been in such a place.

Alice’s eyes widened, and she gasped softly.

After Dexter arrived and pushed the doors open, he saw an awful scene when he looked up. Josie looked unspeakably upset.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 411 Not Her House

After drinking too much, Josie seemed to have revealed her natural disposition. She looked terrified of Dexter.

When he approached, Alice and the male colleague recognized him. They looked at each other and were utterly stunned.

Why is Dexter Russell here?!

How is he related to Josie?!

“Mr… Mr…”

They couldn’t say his name.

Dexter didn’t look at them. He walked to Josie and picked her up.

Josie was initially conflicted, but she calmed down when she smelled the tobacco on him. It was as though she had gone mad. She smiled and said, “Dexter!”

Dexter only looked at her from the start until the end. He silently patted her. “Why did you drink?”

Josie pursed her lips again, looking tearful like a child.

Dexter carried her out, and his secretary helped take her belongings. She thanked Alice and the male colleague. “You must keep everything you saw today a secret.”

Dexter had been preoccupied with something important today. There was a trade war going on, and it was turbulent both domestically and internationally. As the leading enterprise, he was naturally affected. He still had to work a little, no matter what.

Therefore, he had been swamped for the past few days.

Josie messed

up his plans with a phone call.

Dexter had almost gone mad when he heard a man’s voice.

The woman in his arms was still squirming. For a moment, she didn’t seem drunk. She lay in his arms and smiled when she looked up at him. She repeated, “Why are you here, Dexter?”

Dexter squeezed her cheeks hard. “How would you go home if I didn’t come?”

Josie suddenly got up and leaned close to him. She smelled of alcohol. “But you didn’t come yesterday…”

“I’m sorry. You can come to Russell Group to look for me next time.”

The rowdy woman suddenly quietened down. She thought of something, and her eyes were wet. She waved her hands. “Never mind. You don’t belong to me.”

It wasn’t easy to deal with an inebriated woman. Dexter understood many people’s thoughts, but he couldn’t understand the thoughts of a drunk woman.

When they returned to Mason Garden, she still muttered, “I want to go home,” while Dexter carried her into the bathroom.

Dexter’s actions paused. He didn’t understand. “You’re home.”

“This isn’t my home.”

She had sobered up slightly.

Dexter’s thin lips parted. “So, where is your home? Is it Paul’s house?”

“That isn’t my home either. My home is where I have a mom and dad.”

This made Dexter pause. Confused, he looked at the spirited woman and sympathized with her.

“Dexter, I don’t have a mom and dad.”

Dexter was distressed. He found a large towel and wrapped her up like a baby before carrying her to the bed. He kissed her eyes and was uncharacteristically gentle. “Good girl. Go to sleep, okay?”

He didn’t know Josie’s history. He only knew she hadn’t been happy living with her biological family.

Josie’s cheeks were still flushed because she had drunk a lot. She felt a void in her heart, and she was desperate to fill it with something.

Therefore, she took off her towel and suddenly pounced on Dexter. She didn’t let him speak and started kissing him.

She only dared to be so unrestrained because she knew he was Dexter.

Dexter initially didn’t want to touch Josie tonight, but she rarely initiated anything. He was quickly set ablaze and couldn’t help but get excited. He still wasn’t sick of her after so long.

They spent a sensual night together.

Looking at the gasping woman, he unexpectedly felt slightly depraved and… satisfied.

In a brief met of conce licked his lips. Dester low has inty Warren, you know the consequences

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 412 Abandon Everything for Her

It was a reminder that she should not overstep her boundaries.

Josie knew everything, but she feigned ignorance. She let drowsiness overcome her and closed her eyes to fall asleep.

Russell Group was in a precarious situation. The ongoing trade disputes among the higher- ups adversely affected all businesses below. Unfortunately, none of the disputing parties showed signs of conceding.

Therefore, Dexter had his hands full dealing with this matter.

The matter was an inevitable source of headache for any owner of a major corporation. They would be the first to be dragged into any crisis of such level.

When the news program ended at seven thirty in the evening, it was only seven thirty in the morning overseas. The matter worsened and spread for two hours until the oversea stock market reopened at nine-thirty in the morning, resulting in a severe drop in stock values in and out of the country. It was worse than everyone expected.

The crisis continued to spread at an unstoppable scale,

Reporters from various media showed up at Russell Group’s doorstep. Some blew the crisis out of proportion, while others waited anxiously.

Dexter had a press conference last night but canceled it after receiving a phone call from Josie. He left immediately to go to her.

The reporters waited stubbornly in the meeting room all night.

Meanwhile, a petite woman dressed in office attire looked calm as she sat in a corner. Her name was Summer Olsen. Like the other reporters around her, she was busy typing into a laptop to spread information to the outside world.

Summer had worked overnight, so it was understandable that she was tired. She rubbed her temple and took a brief break when someone came over and said, “I wonder what urgent matter Mr. Russell is dealing with that he dared to cancel on so many people.”

Summer smiled but did not respond. She knew Dexter hardly cared about many matters, so reporters did not bother him. Moreover, he likely would not care much even if such a severe crisis broke out in the business world.

Russell Group’s staff brought food and bottled water to the reporters, expressing their sincere apologies about the situation.

However, their boss probably did not share the same sentiment.

Summer was pondering when a sudden disturbance appeared ahead. “Mr. Russell is here!”

She looked up.

Dexter walked in, looking dashing in his black suit. His expression seemed kind yet somewhat indifferent. He nodded apologetically to the crowd, “Everyone, please settle down. The press conference shall begin soon.”

His sense of authority did not diminish one bit.

He answered every question concerning the trade war and Russell Group’s stance perfectly. No one could find any fault with the answers.

Then, his assistant named the next person to ask questions. “Summer Olsen from Vaste.”

Dexter did not show any reaction. He glanced from the corner of his eye at a young woman in the back row. She stood up and behaved professionally. “I have a question, Mr. Russell. What will you do if foreign investors enforce compulsory measures and withdraw their technical support?”

Dexter’s gaze appeared far off and seemed to flicker briefly. However, his expression remained unchanged. He answered calmly. “Russell Group does not lack talent.”

Those words were filled with confidence. It meant Russell Group did not fear what the enemies did. Such a firm response assured many people

Otherwise, the fall of Russell Group would result in a chain of repercussions. They knew they would be doomed along with it.

After the press conference ended, a group escorted Dexter and sent him off. Everything seemed to be going well.

However, when Dexter left Russell Group in the evening, a young woman with a shoulder bag suddenly blocked his car outside the building.

Moses stopped the car immediately and turned to Dexter. “Sir….”

Dexter closed his eyes for a brief rest. Hearing Moses, he instructed with his eyes closed, “Let her in.”

Summer soon sat in the backseat and smiled charmingly. “Dex, I knew you would take this road.”

“Why didn’t you call your driver to send you home?” Dexter did not open his eyes.

“I’m only an employee. How can I have a driver?” Josie pulled out a document from her bag. “This is research on foreign investors. I think you will be interested.”

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 413 Secretly Photographed

Josie received a call from Alice the morning after she got drunk. After a moment of silence, Alice said, “What the heck happened?”

Josie was briefly confused. Her memories were vague. I think Dexter picked me up after I got

drunk…

Then, we bumped into Alice…

He carried me off…

Josie’s forehead throbbed. She replied awkwardly, “Erm… Would you believe me if I say he’s a distant relative?”

Alice snorted and said, “Why would your distant relative bridal carry you?”

Her voice was so loud that Josie instinctively held the phone away from her ear. At the same time, Alice scolded, “You always said your husband refused to meet anyone due to his disability. Never did I dream that he was Dexter! My goodness, Josie! How could you do this? How could you trick me for so long?”

Josie listened to her scolding quietly and nodded. “Don’t be angry. There are good reasons for hiding it. I didn’t have a choice.”“

Alice took a deep breath. “When did it start? Josie, I knew you were courageous, but I didn’t expect you to be this daring. I can’t believe that you’re in a relationship with Dexter. No, wait. The more important question is, how did you do it?”

Josie bit her lip. “One needs a bit of luck sometimes, and I was lucky then.”

Alice was silent for a while before saying, “I remember everything. You’re the woman in those tabloid photos. I’ve always wondered why the woman looked like you. Now I know it was you!”

“Also, what’s your status with him? Are you dating him?”

Josie was rendered speechless. She knew it was impossible to continue hiding it. Thus, she

confessed, “We’re married.”

Alice was stunned into silence.

She remained silent for a long time.

“Heck…”

“Are you okay?” Josie asked cautiously.

“My friend is my boss’ wife. Heck, I’ve been living in a TV drama all this while.”

“That’s not true. It might be over soon,” Josie said honestly.

But Alice refused to believe her. “Cut the cr*p. I saw how Mr. Russell treated you yesterday. He only had eyes for you. He looked so furious like he wanted to kill everyone who touched

you.

Josie was stumped. “Other than you, who saw us that night?”

“Billy, but he probably won’t say anything. Mr. Russell’s secretary warned him.” Alice suddenly realized something. That means everyone in the secretary’s office knew about it!”

“Wait, but if they knew, why did you resign from the design department? Was it to avoid suspicion?”

Josie could not tell her that it was Dexter’s punishment for her. “It’s a long story. I’ll tell you about it another time.”

“By the way, where are you now?”

Josie had just finished washing up when a servant brought her a hangover soup. “I added truffles to the soup. Old Mr. Russell arranged for someone to bring truffles here two days ago and instructed you to have them for your health.”

Josie nodded.

She had not visited Henry for a long time as she was busy dealing with many cumbersome matters. Moreover, her relationship with Dexter was not going well. She was not sure how she should face Henry.

She felt guilty toward him.

Her phone buzzed with a new message as she was still on the call with Alice. The message contained a few blurred photos, but Josie could see that those photos showed Dexter carrying her drunken self into the car. They were taken from an angle that made it seem like she and Dexter were intimate.

Most importantly, the photos showed her face.

The sender messaged. ‘Pay up if you don’t want them leaked’

Josie’s heart sank. She looked down and messaged back. ‘How much do you want?”

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 414 Schemed against Him

‘Five million.

There was no way she had that much money. It seemed the sender knew she was Mrs. Russell. They dared to make such an outrageous demand, knowing she had the support of the Russell family.

‘Mrs. Russell, I know neither of you wants your identity exposed. So, you should pay me to destroy the evidence for your protection.”

Josie took a deep breath and messaged. ‘Give me some time to think about it.’

She told the matter to Alice. Alice soon arrived at Mason Garden.

She had never been to Dexter’s residence. Although she was still furious with Josie, she could not help but feel nervous as she headed there.

It was undoubtedly a residential area for the upper class. She entered the Mason Garden compound and found many people walking around in casual clothes. They looked like passersby but were secretly guards. Each of them was strong and tough, like Dexter.

They checked her ID, took her thumbprint, and called Josie to confirm her visit.

Josie seemed used to the procedures. “Yes, let her in. She’s my friend.”

Then, Alice was finally able to get in without obstruction.

Once she entered the house, the servants greeted her politely and served her tea and cakes. The hospitality in this house was top-notch.

Josie sat in the room and looked in a daze at the photos on her phone. “I have a complaint. Don’t they know how to take photos? Why do I look so ugly in them?”

She could barely remember what happened yesterday. However, looking at the paparazzi’s photos helped her understand the situation. She found the photos quite amusing. Dexter was quite good to her, seeing how he frequently carried her like that.

Alice could not sit still from fury. “Does it matter? They photographed your face. D*mn, those paparazzi. You will be in serious trouble if your face gets exposed!”

Meanwhile, Dexter returned to Mason Garden at this moment. Moses followed him and did not dare to speak. He was unsure whether Dexter was in a bad mood because Summer just stopped the car.

“Where’s Josie?”

Schemed against Him

“Mrs. Russell is upstairs with a friend.”

It was the first time Josie had a friend visiting Mason Garden.

Josie could not figure out which media company dared to do this. “Why did they dare to photograph Dexter?”

Alice fanned herself with her hand. “It’s five million. Who wouldn’t want it?”

Surprisingly, Josie was still able to laugh it off. “Honestly, Dexter won’t care about that amount of money. He might give it to them, but I don’t want them to have it easy.”

Alice stared at Josie and seemed truly stunned for a moment. “He’s your husband, after all.”

Josie placed the phone on the table and sighed in relief. Thank goodness Arnold is not the one in the photo.”

“Arnold?” Alice nearly jumped with fury. “You dare to think about Arnold? If they snapped you with him, that would be more than five million. Imagine the amount of criticism you would face.”

Josie’s skin gleamed beautifully under the light. She blinked indifferently and replied, “That’s why we should be thankful they didn’t take a photo of me with Arnold. I’m lucky that they only caught me with Dexter.”

Alice pursed her lips. “Is it any better?”

Josie answered, “Arnold is different…”

He is single, and the public is less interested in his status. People will not bat an eyelid seeing him flirt with a woman.

But it is different for Dexter.

“I’m not paying them five million. They can publish the photos if they want. But before this, we must find a way to let Dexter’s assistant discover them. Then, Dexter will buy up. all the photos, and there won’t be any scandal.”

Josie understood Dexter’s thoughts.

She knew he needed to keep the Olsen family in check. Summer would cause a massive uproar if she saw those photos.

Jose’s expression dulled slightly as she thought about it.

Alice understood Josie’s plan. “But… aren’t you scheming against Dexter?”

Schemed against Him

“He had schemed against me many times,” Josie replied emotionlessly. She saw that now. The moments she thought were blissful were only illusions. He had always been scheming against

her.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 415 Keeping His Guard Up

Alice asked worriedly. “Are you sure about this?”

“Yes.”

Josie did not notice that the man they were discussing was currently standing outside their door. His expression turned cold. However, his lips suddenly curved into a devious smirk.

Judging from her words, it sounded like she regarded Dexter as someone lesser than Arnold.

After Alice left, Josie looked at her phone in a daze.

There were many unread messages on WhatsApp, and one of those was from Arnold. His profile picture was a plain, black image, and his message seemed emotionless and professional. I’ve received information on the news. What is your decision? Should I suppress it?”

The message was sent in the morning, but Josie had only seen it now.

She recalled his face and sneered as she typed a reply. ‘Arnold, are you showing concern for me?”

He immediately replied with a question mark.

That’s not how one should show concern.

Arnold soon sent another message. ‘Seems like you’re finally sober.

After that, Josie sat in a daze until a sudden touch caused her to jump in fright. She instinctively held the phone to her chest and turned off the screen before looking up in a panic. It was Dexter. He came up to her without her noticing.

His expression was calm as a still lake. Josie could not detect any emotions as he looked at her and asked, “Why are you scared?”

Josie slowed her breathing. “When did you come in? Why didn’t I hear any footsteps?”

He came in so quietly that Josie was unsure how long he had been here or whether he saw anything.

Dexter seemed in a decent mood, so Josie guessed he had just arrived. She calmed down and behaved normally. “What would you like to eat? I’ll ask Julie to prepare it.”

Dexter looked at her and answered, “I want to eat what you made.”

Josie was surprised. “Don’t joke around. It’s getting late. There’s not enough time to prepare.”

Dexter was not angry. He suddenly reached out to grab the phone in her hand. Josie’s face turned pale. She gripped her phone tightly. “Why..”

Dexter did not speak but pulled harder. Josie refused to let go.

Unfortunately, she was no match for his strength. He took the phone and tried to turn on the screen, but a security lock protected it. He showed it to her and asked gently, “Unlock it, dear.”

Josie’s expression had turned to horror. Her heart beating like a drum. She dared not disobey when Dexter looked at her like that and unlocked the screen with a trembling hand.

Dexter usually disliked social media and chatting using messenger apps. Yet, he quickly turned on WhatsApp and found the chat log.

He read the messages at a glance.

Josie panicked and suddenly realized she had been too careless. “Dexter, don’t you trust me? What did I do that made you suspicious of me like this?”

Dexter turned off the phone and tossed it to the side.

“Josie, there’s something that I didn’t want to tell you, but you gave me no choice. Do you remember Kevan?”

Apprehension grew in Josie’s gaze.

How can I not remember? I had so much trouble getting someone into the design department, yet he was transferred because he had a crush on me.

Dexter paused deliberately and undid the buttons on his cuffs. His posture indicated he had something more to say. “I don’t care what matter it concerns or how lowly is the person’s status. Anyone who dares to desire what is mine can never hope to escape unscathed. Can you guess where he is now?”

Josie clenched her fist. Previously, she heard that he was still in Rivodia.

She remained silent.

“The fastest way to make someone give up is to make him lose what he cares about the most. Coincidentally, I have some talent in this.”

Dexter raised his eyebrows slightly, prompting Josie to shudder with fear.

He had her tightly within his grasp. Any sense of freedom was an illusion.

Keeping His Guard Up

Dexter kept moving closer, but Josie kept retreating. She did not dare to meet his gaze.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 416 The Consequence of Betrayal

“I will not tolerate any betrayal,” Dexter said sternly. “I’ve told you this many times.”

His smile blossomed beautifully like a flower in spring, but Josie knew it hid evil intentions. “Why do you look at me like that? I didn’t do anything to him except transfer him to Rivodia and make him start from the lowest position.”

Josie choked with guilt, knowing she dragged Kevan into trouble when he did nothing wrong.

“That’s enough!” Josie shouted. “You… You’re too cruel…”

Dexter looked at her coldly. “What are you talking about? It’s you who are disloyal to me.”

But you are always suspicious and are the first to betray my trust. Josie nearly blurted out those words, but she resisted them.

Dexter had a twisted set of rules. Only he could scheme against others. He would not tolerate anyone employing any tricks against him.

Josie swallowed her anger. “What do you want to say?”

Dexter placed his hands behind his back and leaned toward her ear. It seemed like an

intimate gesture, but his words were harsh and cruel. “Don’t do it if you are not completely sure you will succeed. Otherwise, you know what will happen if I catch you.”

He had told her the consequences of betrayal the night before.

Fury surged through Josie. She shoved Dexter away and glared at him furiously.

Dexter looked at her in disbelief before walking away indifferently.

His gentleness and kind words were all pretense. Instead, he revealed his true nature in his schemes.

Josie was afraid and hurriedly turned on her phone. She looked closely at her chat log with Arnold and found nothing damning,

But Dexter was easily suspicious, and his hunches were accurate. Josie had betrayed herself through her intense reactions.

It was his habit to strangle any issues at its cradle.

Dexter was ruthless in his ways. No one could hope to take advantage of him.

However, Josie seemed to have forgotten that Dexter set aside an urgent work matter to meet

her last night, only for her to scheme against him in the morning. No one could stand such betrayal.

The lights were off. Dexter sat in the darkness, surrounded by a cold and intimidating aura.

He remained silent for a long time before saying indifferently, “Moses, have I not treated her well?”

Moses broke out in cold sweat. He knew what Dexter meant.

“You… were good to her. It’s she who had gone overboard.”

Dexter fell silent.

The silence felt suffocating to anyone around him.

Moses thought Dexter would keep brooding silently, but he suddenly tapped on the table and said, “I need you to investigate who owns that studio.”

“Are you saying…”

“Find out who did it. That photographer has no idea what he’s up against. How dare he extort money from me?”

Furthermore, this incident caused him to hear unpleasant words against him. Therefore, he would ensure the photographer would never be able to work in his field again.

The domestic economy is gradually worsening due to the outbreak of the trade war. The effects spread to various industries, filling the public with unprecedented fear. Many companies already started mass layoffs, especially in the finance industry.

The mass layoff inevitably hurt many individuals and families. It was a difficult decision to make. Still, Russell Group was humane and sent mediators to talk to each staff. It also made sure to pay compensation.

Furthermore, Dexter appeared in public more frequently. To avoid mass panic, he accepted a few interviews in newspapers and magazines. However, he would only allow face-to-face interviews, with no voice recording or photographs taken.

Dexter was famous in the business circle. Everyone knew about his unique ability to manage Russell Group. Most importantly, everyone who had met him praised how handsome he was.

Due to this, media companies would always send male staff to interview him. They were concerned that a female employee would be influenced by her emotions and could not be objective.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 417 She Waited for Six Hours

But it was different in Vaste.

Summer was known for her astute analysis ever since she joined the company, especially in matters concerning Russell Group. Her research was always the best and the most accurate.

Usually, an outstanding woman like her would be proud and even arrogant.

However, Summer always kept a low profile whether in Vaste or outside. She avoided getting into disputes.

Furthermore, Summer had an old-fashioned habit. She would only write with carbon pencils and write fast with neat handwriting. It was perfect and flawless, like her.

The city lights came on, illuminating the gorgeous night scenery. Summer stayed back in the office alone to work overtime. One could hear the restless scratching noises of the pencil on

paper.

Suddenly, she heard the door open and close and gathered the courage to stand up.

The supervisor had just finished work. He smiled upon seeing her. “Summer, it’s great that you’re hardworking but don’t overwork yourself. You should go home soon.”

Summer had a solemn expression as she said, “I… I would like to discuss something with

you.”

“Oh? Sure.”

“I heard our company is given a chance to interview Dexter. I wish to compete for the opportunity to interview him.”

The supervisor’s expression changed instantly. He had finished considering whom to send for the interview and had a senior reporter in mind.

Furthermore, it was common sense not to send a staff who had just joined them. It would trigger much criticism.

Summer seemed to guess what he was thinking and explained hurriedly, “I feel this is a chance for me to improve. You have seen how I questioned Dexter during the press conference. I believe I’ve done well. Honestly, I wish to rise in the ranks. I hope you can give me this chance, and I assure you that I will do well and not disappoint you.”

The supervisor considered in silence for some time.

He had encountered many ambitious subordinates throughout his career, but Summer was

She Waited for Six Hours

the first to be this frank about her goals.

Summer clasped her hands nervously.

The supervisor answered, “Sure.”

That prompted her to smile in delight.

“I’m allowing you to go because of two reasons. First, you have conducted yourself well in the previous press conference. Second, I admire your courage. However, you will be penalized if you fail to complete the task properly.”

Summer smiled. “Don’t worry. I will get it done.”

Unfortunately, Dexter kept failing to show up at the appointed time for the interview.

He had a business gathering more important than the interview. It was still ongoing during the appointed interview time.

Summer sat in Russell Group’s reception room. Her cup of black coffee had turned cold. It was already late. An assistant from the secretaries’ office came over a few times to inform her that Dexter would not be coming today, and they had to arrange another appointment for

the interview.

Yet, Summer always responded with a smile, “It’s okay. I’ll wait for him.”

It was past midnight when the business gathering ended. Dexter entered his car and accepted the hangover medicine his secretary offered. He consumed it without hesitation.

Once the car started, the secretary suddenly recalled something and said, “There’s a call from the company just now, saying that the researcher, who had an appointment to interview you, is still waiting for you. She refuses to leave.”

Dexter’s eyelid twitched slightly. “When was the call?”

“Two hours ago. Taking that into account, she has probably waited for six hours.”

Dexter remained silent.

It was finally raining, which was much welcomed on this stuffy summer night. Huge drops of rain fell onto the ground, splattering water everywhere.

After a while, Dexter said, “Bring me to Russell Group.”

“Why? But you’ve been working for too many hours today…”

“Send me to Russell Group.”

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 418 We Can Never Be Together

Summer finished packing her things and was about to leave in disappointment when she saw the man with an unmistakably strong presence.

He walked steadily with a group of people following him. His face portrayed no emotions, but his gaze was chillingly cold.

Summer felt insignificant before him.

She looked at him with surprise and a hint of fear.

Her voice faltered but remained calm. “Dex, I’ve been waiting for you for a long time.”

She called his name so gently that it made one’s heart flutter.

No one expected Dexter would take the trouble to return to the company to meet such a junior researcher.

Dexter glanced at her and stepped forward to open the door. He instructed the others, “You can all leave first.”

The group of people left, but they could not resist glancing at Summer curiously. They could not figure out what was going on.

Summer had a spring in her step as she kept up with Dexter. Her disappointed heart revived and blossomed with joy.

She followed him and said timidly, “Dex, I thought you wouldn’t return.”

Dexter had always hidden his emotions. One could never tell what he was thinking from his expression. He looked at Summer indifferently. “You should know I don’t come here to discuss such things.”

Summer tilted her head in confusion. “What do you mean? I’m here to interview you on behalf of Vante.”

“You hired people to take those photos.”

Summer’s expression darkened instantly. “What photos?”

Dexter quietly observed her under the light.

“Summer, I hope you know not to go overboard.”

Summer’s smile faded slightly. “Dex, I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

We Can Never Be Together

Dexter poured a glass of water for himself. Drops of water stained his lips.

Summer stepped forward and said, “Dex, I know my feelings for you are causing you inconvenience. I’m sorry, but I can’t control how I feel. I only wish to stay by your side, and I’m willing to wait for you.”

She poured out her heart to him and did not attempt to hide.

Dexter found it funny. “Why are you waiting for me? What makes you think you have the right to do that?”

“It’s because you are here now.”

Dexter looked into her eyes and saw the anxiety and uncertainty in them. He did not hold back on his words.

“We can never be together.”

Those simple few words shattered her heart.

She almost could not hold back her tears.

“You should already know when you went to London that we can never be together.”

Summer resisted crying. Tears gathered in her eyes, but she willed them not to fall. At the same time, she replied calmly, “No matter what, I’m here on a work matter. Since you agreed to accept my interview, you won’t go back on your words, right?”

Summer was clever to switch the topic back to work.

It was three in the morning when the interview ended. The heavy rain outside gradually

came to a stop.

Dexter left right after the interview. He had been indifferent throughout the meeting. Still, he answered the questions posed to him. At least he was kind enough to give her exclusive answers. With these, the newspaper would sell well tomorrow.

He seemed disinterested and somewhat relaxed during the interview. Beneath his demeanor, one could see that he did not care at all.

Dexter did not care about Summer.

At the most, he might have some consideration for their relationship, prompting him to give in to some of her requests.

Yet, he seemed heartless when he left immediately after the interview. He gave her no chance to ask him to stay.

We Can Never Be Together

Summer stood still and narrowed her eyes. Her gaze was filled with scheme and hatred.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 419 Meeting Mrs Langman

Summer edited the interview the following day before sending it to the printing press. Then, newspapers containing the interview were distributed all over the city on the second day evening. The interview with Dexter was popular with the public.

Since Summer had done well, the supervisor did not skimp on praises. However, her success caused dissatisfaction among her colleagues and led to many enemies. Many caused her trouble behind her back, but she never retaliated because she did not care.

Russell Group was full of talented individuals, but Dexter still stood out from these people and was always a few steps above them. He was different from ordinary people. Therefore, Summer believed she still had much to improve to grow to his level.

She wanted to be recognized for her abilities and not just as the daughter of the Olsen family.

Josie received no response for her submitted resumes. Still, she was not anxious and spent most of her time with her father, Paul.

When free, she went with him to the hospital for a follow-up check. Matthew said Paul was recovering well. Since recovery was challenging for Paul’s condition, it was not easy for him to recover to his level. Thus, Josie was glad to hear that.

“By

the way, the medical team Dexter brought to the hospital has left, Matthew mentioned suddenly.

Josie recalled their previous argument and paused before replying, “That’s good.”

Matthew spun a pen between his fingers and seemed awkward. He smiled bitterly. “They have half the credit in curing Mr. Warren’s condition. For nearly a year, they spent all their time treating him.”

Josie understood what he was implying. In other words, he meant Dexter cared about her tremendously.

“I understand.”

The photos from that night were never exposed to the public. Josie knew Dexter had intercepted those photos and taken them down.

Later, Josie left the hospital with Paul. As they reached the lobby entrance, someone shouted, “Mrs. Russell,”

Josie was stunned. She and Paul turned around and saw the elegant Mrs. Langman coming their way. She seemed happy to see Josie. “I didn’t expect to see you in the hospital. You’re

here for…”

Josie forced a smile. “He’s my father. I brought him here for a follow-up.”

Mrs. Langman seemed to have known about this. She had a strange expression as she regarded Paul. On the other hand, Paul understood she wanted to talk to Josie alone. “Jo, I’l wait for you outside.”

“Sure.”

After Paul left, Mrs. Langman held her arm and said, “What’s wrong? Why didn’t you bring a servant with you?”

Her words showed the stark contrast between their social statuses. Josie pursed her lips and replied, “I’m used to going everywhere alone. Mrs. Langman, you’re here for…”

Mrs. Langman complained about her recent bodily ailments and said she visited the hospital for a checkup. Then, she asked, “I heard recently that you and Dexter had a huge row. How is it now? Have you reconciled?”

Josie did not expect so many people to know about the matter. She felt embarrassed and said she would prefer not to talk about it. Mrs. Langman seemed to have a good impression of Josie after the matter with Xanthe and asked, “There will be a week-long charity gala in Wavery in two days. Many influential people will be attending. Would you like to go?”

“Thank you, but I won’t be going. I dislike such social events.”

“Don’t say that.” Mrs. Langman frowned and shook her head. “You can’t win a man’s affection by laying low. I suppose you don’t know about this yet. Summer Olsen has returned. She used to cover your husband. They will surely attend this charity gala, and people will speculate about them again.”

Josie could tell that Mrs. Langman was trying to help her. What’s the point if I have to fight to win his heart?

She shook her head. “Let’s see how it goes. I don’t want to appear before others for now.”

Things might get messy if Summer were to see me.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Chapter 420 The Charity Gala

Josie looked pale after saying goodbye to Mrs. Langman. Paul noticed something wrong and patted her shoulder. “Jo, you can do anything you want as long as you feel you can bear the consequences.”

“Sure…”

Mrs. Langman did not give up and messaged Josie the invitation later. “I will hide your identity. You can attend the event with me as my sister.”

Josie was unsure if she made the right decision and laughed despite herself. “Sure, let’s go and check it out then.”

There were all kinds of formal gowns in Mason Gardon. Josie picked a maxi gray dress and put it on. Then, she styled her hair into an updo and put on a long starry earring. She looked beautiful and well-dressed for the gala.

Mrs. Langman saw her and exclaimed how nice it was to be young.

They entered the venue arm in arm.

Josie deliberately chose to attend the auction on the second day due to concern that people she did not want to meet would most likely attend the first day.

Unfortunately, she saw a familiar figure when she walked in.

Even though Dexter sat in a corner, his dazzling presence made him hard to miss. He was looking at a document given by the woman beside him and signed it with a fountain pen.

Even such simple gestures were mesmerizing to watch.

Mrs. Langman asked tentatively, “Do you wish to say hello to him?”

Josie took a deep breath and looked away. “Forget it.”

She did not have anything worth auctioning or money to buy anything. She was only there to enjoy the event with Mrs. Langman.

Then, she sat in a corner and appeared relaxed. Mrs. Langman sat by her side. Thus, no busybody dared to come close.

Mrs. Langman bided a few items but lost interest in them. She was bored of sitting there and offered Josie a choice. “You can bid for whatever you like. I’ll pay for it.”

Josie widened her eye. “I’m afraid I can’t accept that.”

“Since you’re here as my sister, it’s only natural that you bid for something on my account.” Mrs. Langman caressed her cheek and chuckled.

Josie instinctively glanced at where Dexter was seated. His seat was right across hers. Thus, either of them could easily look up and see each other.

However, she did not look his way.

At the moment, she was unsure what Dexter wanted. He would never come to an auction without a purpose.

Josie understood his ways all too well.

Although she could not figure out what Dexter wanted, she suddenly noticed something she liked.

The large screen showed a picture of a bracelet. It had a thin gleaming white chain. The bracelet had a starry design and looked luxurious but simple. She thought it would look beautiful worn on her wrist. That was why she liked it instantly.

The starting bid was five hundred thousand.

Josie turned to Mrs. Langman and nodded. I want to bid for this bracelet.”

Thus, she gathered courage and raised the auction paddle. “Six hundred thousand.”

The crowd looked at her and seemed determined not to let her win. “Seven hundred

thousand.”

“Eight hundred thousand.”

“Nine hundred thousand.”

Josie glared at the woman competing with her. It was only a bracelet. No matter how much Josie liked it, she thought bidding one million for it was too much. Furthermore, Josie could tell from the look on the woman’s face that she did not like the bracelet. She bid for it out of spite.

Josie looked down unhappily and did not raise the auction paddle again.

However, a stern voice broke through the peaceful atmosphere before the auctioneer could conclude the bid at nine hundred thousand. “1.2 million.”

Josie looked up in surprise and saw it was Dexter. He conversed calmly with his secretary as if he did not just make a tremendous bid.

Moreover, he did not look at Josie.

The Charity Gala

Josie took a deep breath and raised the auction paddle indignantly. “1.3 million."