Blind Date Turned Proposal by Mr. Adeel

Description of Novels
Author:
Mr Adeel
Title: Blind Date Turned Proposal Ra Genre: Romance
Language: English Read Online Pages: Ongoing

On the day of the blind date, the man turned out to be fat, short, and greasy! What could she do but run? Josie Warren was about to escape when the man at the next table stopped her. Why was this man so familiar? He… he was her immediate superior, Dexter Russell, a rich tycoon worth millions! What he said next surprised her immensely. “Josie, what about marrying me?” Marriage? Had Dexter been crushing on her for years? Did he set up this blind date to accidentally bump into her? Only highly skilled hunters would appear like prey. So why not! He had the looks and the money, after all. Josie acted on it instead of thinking about it. “Sure! Let’s get married! I will do as you wish and

Chapter 30 Discharge​

“How could you listen in?” she said in annoyance with a blush on her face.

How could he do that?

“If my memory serves me right, you are standing right in front of my car.” He enunciated every syllable clearly, leaving her dumbfounded.

Since she was at a loss for words, she clapped her hand and showed the results of her practice moments ago. “Since you heard everything, do I have the honor to cook for you?”
“No.”
How ruthless.
This time around, Josie honestly had no reply for him.
Since she was young, her father taught her to always repay one’s kindness.
She remembered how Dexter had helped her all this while. If he didn’t ask Calvin to fix her laptop, she wouldn’t have been able to take revenge on Samantha.
However, after mustering her courage, he rejected her offer.
Slightly crestfallen, she was about to nod and escape the awkward situation.
Suddenly, he spoke. “We’re going to the hospital tonight.”
“Are we visiting your grandfather?”
“We are fetching him home today.”
In the car, Josie finally knew that he had fully recovered and was whining about going home, but Dexter had been busy. He only had some free time to fetch Henry home in the evening.
“Are you the only grandson? Where are the–” she blurted out but managed to catch herself halfway.
His eyes were shut. The neon lights from the surroundings outside reflected onto his exquisite face.
“My grandfather only has a son – my father. He passed when I was little. Grandpa is the one who brought me up, so it must be me to take care of him. I feel uneasy if other relatives took over,” he explained coolly, as though it was unrelated to him. However, the words ‘it must be me’ asserted his dominance.

Josie nodded and didn’t dare to ask about his mother.
Since he’s unwilling to talk about her, something terrible must have happened.
Before entering the ward, he stopped her and gave her his hand. She was momentarily stunned before grabbing it.
His cold hand sent a jolt through her, but he quickly held her hand tightly.
“Remember to call me Dex,” he reminded.
Henry had been in the hospital for some time, so he couldn’t wait to go home. He was overjoyed when he saw Josie.
“You’re the best, Jo. At least you came here to pick me up, unlike someone else…”
Dexter took the luggage prepared by the nurses.
“Grandpa, you’re so biased. Am I invisible to you?”
Josie smiled at him to cheer him up. “Dex has been talking about picking you up for the entire day. Please forgive him, Grandpa.”
“Alright. I’ll do that for you,” he said willfully.
Henry looked much better, and his voice was steady.
Josie read through his report – it was a disease that was very difficult to cure. It seemed he had gotten better simply because Dexter had found a wife.
Russell Mansion – the ancestral home of the Russells – was near the mountains and a lake. It was like a little kingdom in Wavery, where every inch of land cost a bomb.
It was Josie’s first visit; she tried to suppress her surprise when she saw the mansion. Rich people’s lives are so different!
However, the buildings looked familiar to her.
“Jo, if you like this place, feel free to come over anytime with Dexter. Just treat it as your own home. You don’t have to care about pleasantries here.” His warm voice soothed her fears.
“You’re the humblest millionaire I’ve ever met,” she said with a smile.
Henry laughed out loud, and even Dexter had a small smile.

Chapter 31 Family Heirloom​

The maids at Russell Mansion knew that Henry was going to be discharged, so they made a scrumptious dinner.

This was Josie’s second meal with Henry. She was not as nervous as before now that she knew Henry cared about her genuinely.

After dinner, he called both of them to his study.

He was a Buddhist, so he lit an incense that smelled nice.
Josie was still looking around the familiar surroundings. I feel like I’ve been here before.
Dexter grabbed her hand. “What’s wrong?”
“This place looks familiar. Perhaps I’ve seen similar designs in some books. Just ignored me,” she replied uncertainly.
At that moment, Henry took out a vintage box and motioned for Josie to sit.
“Your grandma left this for you. Before she died, she was hoping to see Dexter get married. Unfortunately…”
“Grandpa–”
“There’s a jade bracelet in it. It has been passed down since your great-great-grandmother. It was with Dex’s mother before this, but there were some accidents… Josie, it’s time to pass it to you now.”
He opened the box, revealing a beautiful jade bangle that shone brightly. It was apparent that it cost a lot of money.
It was out of Josie’s expectations to receive such an invaluable gift. She quickly rejected him. “No, no. I can’t take such an important item. Grandpa, just keep it as it is.”
Henry spoke seriously. “Before my wife died, she made me promise to hand this over to Dexter’s future wife. You’re his wife now – you’re entirely entitled to this.”

Yes, but I’m not actually his wife! I can’t take this!
She shot a helpless glance at Dexter and pulled his sleeves. Say something!
He felt that he had been smiling too much lately. Josie’s eyes were slightly red, looking like a timid rabbit.
“Just take it,” he replied.
Do you know what you’re talking about?
Dexter held her wrist and put it on her. The jade had a great contrast against her fair hands.
“Is there anything my wife can’t take? You’re implying that you don’t want to be my wife by rejecting this,” he said calmly, rendering Josie speechless.
She couldn’t refute him in front of Henry.
What about our act? He’s not following the script at all!
“That’s right.” Henry was over the moon upon seeing that. “Even if my granddaughter-in-law wants the moon, we will get it for her.”
Josie was still struggling against Dexter. He shot him a glance. “The jade will look prettier if you wear it often. Just keep it with you.”
“Alright, then.” I definitely can’t take this. I have to return it to him later.
Rain started pouring down outside.
Josie ran to the balcony and saw the downpour accompanied by some lightning.
She looked at Dexter worriedly. “It’s raining.”
“Yeah. It looks like it’s not going to stop anytime soon.” Henry waved. “You guys don’t have to hurry back. It’s unsafe to drive in this weather anyway. Just stay the night.”
Her fears had come true.
Dexter didn’t have any objections. “Let’s do that.”

Chapter 32 Spending the Night Together​

After Josie greeted Henry, she chased after Dexter and grabbed his arm. She spoke in a low voice, “Mr. Russell, why are we staying?”

Dexter glanced outside and replied, “Do you want to be struck by lightning?”

Josie was stumped before she said, “But do you know what staying back means? I will be entering your territory. Don’t you hate it when I enter your room?” The two cannot sleep in separate rooms under Henry’s surveillance.

So this was what she was worried about.
Dexter was amused when he saw her acting awkwardly. He deliberately teased her. “It’s alright. This isn’t Mason Garden. I’ll allow it.”
Before Josie could refute it, a maid walked over towards them with a blanket in her arms. She said gently, “Please follow me.”
“Ah…”
She opened the door and explained with a smile, “Although Dex seldom stays at home, we keep his room clean.”
Josie braced herself and entered Dexter’s bedroom. It had a Nordic-style design—clean and simple. It was just what he liked. His huge bed looked comfortable.
He seemed to get along with the people here very well since they called them ‘Dex .’He did not put on airs.
This was Josie’s first time entering her boss’ private space. She felt a little afraid, yet bizarre at the same time.
“Thank you, Marilyn. I will do the rest.” Dexter spoke, saving Josie from the awkwardness.
Marilyn nodded and glanced at the two youngsters teasingly before she left.
Josie felt the urge to hide.
Dexter patted Josie’s head, amused. He said, “I’ll shower first ”
I’ll shower first. It sounded like part of a conversation a new couple would have before experiencing their first intimacy!
Josie blinked, “What about me?”

Dexter frowned.
“I mean, what about me after you’ve showered? I didn’t bring any clothes.” She needed a shower. It had been a long day.
“Good question.”
An hour later, Josie opened the bathroom door quietly. “Mr. Russell, can you switch off the lights?”
The man was lying on the bed in his pajamas after a shower. He was reading the news. He raised his eyes and replied, “No one would bother to look at you. Your figure is not that sexy anyway.”
Josie could not help but lower her head and look at herself. She was wearing Dexter’s shirt. But it was so short that it barely covered her legs. A slight movement would expose her underwear.
“… Well… My legs……”
Dexter faintly smiled as he raised his hands to switch off the lights. The room turned dark instantly. Josie took a deep breath before walking out of the bathroom. “Mr. Russell, where should I sleep?”
There was only one bed in the room.
“I don’t mind if you sleep on the floor.”
Josie quickly climbed up the bed and hid under the blanket. She curled herself up in one corner and said, “I’m sorry, Mr. Russell! We should each have half of the bed! Whoever passes the center is a twit!”
Dexter narrowed his eyes. He was used to being called ‘Dex’ all night. He suddenly felt uneasy when he heard her call him ‘Mr. Russell’.
“Go to sleep.” He paused a while before he continued, “Don’t worry. I’m not interested in you.”
But Josie could not sleep.
She had never slept with a man her whole life.
Moreover, Dexter smelled nice. This is weird. We used the same shower cream. Why does his smell exceptionally pleasant? Josie gripped tightly onto the blanket. She could hear her own heart pounding wildly.
“Mr., Mr. Russell… Are you asleep?” She dared not move.
“Yes?”

Chapter 33 A Forbidden Sight​

Dexter’s voice was hoarse from, perhaps, sleepiness.

Josie’s ears were burning from embarrassment.

“I should return this bangle to you. It is too expensive. I worry I will spoil it.”

“Grandpa gave it to you. Do you want to make him sad?”
Josie sighed. “Then I shall return it to you when we get divorced.”
Dexter paused. He suddenly felt annoyed even though the divorce was expected.
“This jade bangle is an antique from the last century. It is so pure that you will never find a third one in this country. You could buy an island with it.”
Josie almost fell out of bed when she heard Dexter’s words.
She would never be able to pay for it even if she sold herself.
“So you will have to take responsibility if you damage it.”
He is a devil.
Josie had felt a little touched initially. But now, she only felt like sleeping. “Goodnight, Mr. Russell.”
She was met with silence.
The next morning.
The first person Josie saw when she opened her eyes was Dexter. The man’s face looked huge. She did not notice anything strange as she croaked, “Good morning, Mr. Russell.”
Dexter did not respond.
Josie took a few seconds to realize that there was skin underneath her hand. She rubbed against it for a bit before a thought got through her head.
She was hugging Dexter with a leg wrapped over his waist! She was treating him like a doll. The ‘doll’s’ face was dark. He was obviously unhappy about the treatment he was receiving.
“Whoever passes the center is a twit? Josie, do you feel comfortable lying on my body?” The man sounded annoyed.
He had always hated intimacy with women.
Josie quickly got away and apologized, “I’m… I’m sorry! I did not do that on purpose. I forgot to tell you that I move a lot when sleep…”

Only then, Dexter sat up. Just as he was about to lash out, he accidentally saw her body through her shirt’s rolled-up sleeves. He quickly looked away as he blushed hard.
“Pig.”
Immediately after speaking, he locked himself in the bathroom and started freshening himself up. Josie did not see Dexter out of breath as he looked into the mirror at himself.
This is impossible. Why would I be aroused by her…
Josie, on the other hand, just realized what Dexter saw. She shrieked in utter embarrassment.
“Ah!”
The two of them did not talk to each other.
“Why aren’t the two of you talking?”
Henry asked Dexter and Josie at the dining table. He could feel that something was going on between them.
Josie buried her face in her bowl. She did not dare raise her head and look at Dexter. She replied dully, “It’s nothing, Grandpa. I’m just still sleepy.”
God save me! I’m still single, but Dexter has seen my naked body! Am I still pure?
Josie simply ate a few mouthfuls, then excused herself after exchanging pleasantries. “Grandpa, I must hurry to work, or I’ll be late!”
“Hey!”
Dexter took his car keys and said, “I’m heading to work too.” The image of him chasing after Josie made him seem younger.
Marilyn smiled as she watched Dexter leave. “Dex has changed ever since he got together with Jo.”
“The kid needed a companion.”
Josie got into Dexter’s car.
She curled herself up in a corner to distance herself from Dexter.
“Why are you acting shy? I’m the one who was being taken advantage of, Miss.”
“Who, who’s acting shy? Moreover, it’s different for males and females. You only got hugged for a short moment, whereas I lost my purity!” Josie held her face in her hands as she cried distressfully.

Chapter 34 Overboard​

Dexter laughed, “Josie, have you never?”

Josie wished so hard that she didn’t understand what Dexter was referring to… But she could not pretend that she didn’t understand. That would mean she had lost.

“Who told you that? Of course, I have!”

Dexter’s smile slowly faded away. His face darkened.
He merely hummed in response a few moments later. Then, he started speeding so fast that the seatbelt tightened over Josie’s body. It was painful, but Josie dared not voice out.
This man’s feelings were written all over his face and actions.
On the twenty-seventh floor at Russell Group.
Josie walked out of the elevator gloomily. She bumped into Alice by coincidence. Alice greeted her enthusiastically, “Morning!”
“Morning…”
“What’s the matter with you? Why do you look lifeless? You should have had a good night’s sleep since Samantha left.”
“Unfortunately, I was in the wolf’s den last night.”
Alice did not get Josie’s meaning. However, the bangle on Josie’s wrist caught her eye. She widened her eyes and exclaimed in disbelief. “Josie!”
Everyone around them was startled by Alice’s cry. Josie almost jumped in fright, too, out of guilt, “What’s wrong?”
“What is on your wrist?”
Everyone stared at Josie’s wrist when they heard Alice’s question. The expensive bangle was very eye-catching on Josie’s fair wrist. As designers, everyone noticed the quality of the bangle at once.
“Wow, Josie!”
Josie’s heart started pounding wildly again. It seemed to be on a roller coaster ride today.
She tried hard to maintain her calm as she said, “Why are you all giving me that look? I wouldn’t be able to afford such an expensive item. This is a fake! It looks real, doesn’t it?”
It was pretty convincing indeed, as Josie had always been stingy.
“Well, its workmanship is quite good.”

“I knew it! It couldn’t be real. Although you look good in it, you can still only wear a fake.” Claire spoke. She was also from the design department.
Since Samantha left, everyone was guessing if Josie or Claire would be the next director. They were the top designers in the department.
Claire was the leader of Group A. She had a higher chance of getting picked.
But Josie’s performance yesterday was outstanding. She stood a chance too.
Alice wanted to speak up for Josie, but Josie stopped her. “It’s fine. There’s no need to continue this conversation. Let’s start work.”
Alice sighed and looked at Josie’s wrist again. But her look stopped at Josie’s hand this time. “Hey, why is there a ring on your finger? Is that real? It isn’t fake, too, is it? Why have you been wearing jewelry recently… Wait, isn’t this your wedding ring?”
Oh yeah.
Dexter insisted that she wore her wedding ring yesterday when they met Henry. She had forgotten to take it off after.
Josie nodded embarrassedly, “Well, it’s just some handicraft. I’m wearing it for fun.”
When everyone left, Josie took off the ring. She had a headache. The bangle was too eye-catching. She could not keep explaining to everyone who asked. She had to find a place to hide it.
Ivy witnessed the whole scene at the design department this morning.
She had felt uneasy when she heard from Lucy about what had happened yesterday. Ivy had a hunch that something was going on between Dexter and Josie. She did not expect to see this as soon as she arrived at the twenty-seventh floor this morning when she reached Russell Group.
Jade bangle, ring…
An employee who happened to pass by greeted her, “Ms. Miller, what brings you to our floor? Did Mr. Russell send you here?”
The whole of Russell Group knew how important Ivy was to Dexter. She had been working with Russell Group before it started expanding. She had a lot of authority in Russell Group, so everyone who met her was sure to be polite to her.
Ivy regained her consciousness and replied, “It’s nothing. I’m just looking around. I’m going up first.”

Chapter 35 Is He Married?​

Dexter arrived at his office early today, even before Ivy had prepared his breakfast.

Ivy panicked for a moment. She hurriedly prepared some toast. This was what she made for Dexter daily. He was always too busy to take care of his meals.

“Mr. Russell, I’m sorry, I arrived late today. This is your breakfast.” Ivy said carefully.

Dexter was expressionless as he studied the financial reports for the first quarter of the year.
“I’m early today. I’ve eaten. You can have it.”
Eaten? Ivy was a little surprised. “… Okay.”
She picked up the plate and peeked at Dexter. Just at that moment, she saw a ring on his finger!
It was on his ring finger.
Its meaning was clear.
Ivy lost concentration for a moment. The plate in her hand slipped and fell onto the ground. Hot coffee spilled all over her. “Ah!”
Only then did Dexter raise his eyes to look at Ivy. He frowned in dismay. “What’s the matter?”
She has always been steady and rarely made such elementary mistakes. What is wrong with her today?
“I’m sorry, Mr. Russell. I did not sleep well last night. I lost myself for a moment. I shall ask someone to get this cleaned immediately.”
Dexter was a little annoyed. “Go. You can ask for sick leave the next time you feel unwell.”
He had always been like this; empathetic yet strict, kind yet cold. He was a professional at work.
Ivy stood still. Her eyes reddened, and she started to tremble.
“What’s wrong? Is there anything else?” Dexter frowned even harder.
“No, Mr. Russell. I’m just a little surprised. This is my first time seeing you wear a ring… Do you have any good news to share about your private life?”
Ivy tried to hold herself back from crying. Although she knew Dexter hated others prying into his private life, she still asked wryly with a smile.

It was the first time she felt her position threatened after so many years of being by his side.
Only then did Dexter notice the ring on his finger. He was taken aback. He had forgotten to take it off. He had no plans to tell anyone about his marriage. But since someone he trusted found out, there was no point in hiding it anymore.
“Yes.” He admitted frankly. “I’m married. It’s a secret marriage. No one knows about this. You are the first. I do not plan to make it known to others. Do you understand?”
The first… Ivy could barely breathe. This hurt more than killing her. Why did he get married all of a sudden…
“I understand… But I’ve never seen you being close to any woman before. Why did you get married suddenly? I don’t understand.”
Ivy was so obsessed with Dexter that she crossed the line.
Dexter crossed his arms in front of his body. His eyes were cold and full of dissatisfaction. “Ivy, you are acting unprofessional today.”
“I’m sorry. I will call someone to come clean the place right away.” She walked out quickly and closed the door after her. Tears streamed down her face.
She had been too professional all these years, so she had no opportunity to get close to him. She thought she understood him the most, yet she did not even know that he was married!
Ivy closed her eyes in despair. At this moment, the image of his ring appeared in her mind. She opened her eyes suddenly. Wait!
I have seen that ring before…
Where did I see it?
Ivy’s chest heaved heavily as a figure appeared in her mind. It was someone she had met half an hour ago.
She took a step back. She could not accept it. How could it be? How could it be?
Josie?
She had been in Russell Group for so many years. Yet she never had the chance to interact with Dexter. Even if she did, it was just during these past few days. How can it be her?

Chapter 36 It Is Josie​

The project had to go on even though Samantha had left.

Naturally, Josie took charge of the mess. But she changed the design because she didn’t want her reputation to be tarnished.

Sure enough, the design was approved, and payment was made swiftly by the satisfied client.

The whole design department was discussing the vacant director’s position. They wondered if Josie or Claire would succeed in the role since both were capable and had been with Russell Group for quite a long time.
Josie did not seem interested when Alice got to the topic. She said, “I don’t want to be the director. Being the director is too hustling for me.”
“Why are you so unambitious? Aren’t you trying to make money for your father’s medical bills? You’ll make much more money if you become the director.”
Medical bills… With Dexter looking out for Paul, he had the best medical team assigned to him. She did not have to worry about him anymore. But she suddenly thought of the possibility that Dexter might not need her one day and would divorce her.
She would be left with nothing.
“Thank you for reminding me. I will try my best and show my worth!”
At the pantry in the design department.
Lucy handed a cup of coffee to Ivy. She glanced in the direction Ivy was looking at. Josie was busy with work.
“Why are you so obsessed with Josie lately, Ivy? She is just someone who plagiarizes. Do you feel threatened by her too?”
Ivy’s face darkened. This woman was quite good-looking, although not particularly beautiful. How was it possible for her to be married to Dexter? She comforted herself. Perhaps their rings are just a coincidence.
The ring on Josie’s finger was gone. She had no chance to affirm her guess anymore.
“Mr. Russell wants me to keep an eye on her. She is capable and has a bright future ahead.” Ivy took a sip of coffee and lied calmly.

“Mr. Russell told you to do so? Ivy, are the rumors true? Is she hooking up with Mr. Russell?” Lucy was excited.
Ivy froze.
But Lucy quickly denied her negative thoughts. “How could Mr. Russell possibly fall in love with her? She’s a married woman. Who would want her?”
This was new to Ivy. She quickly put down her coffee and asked, “What did you say? She’s married?”
Lucy looked shocked as she explained, “Yes, we found out last week. She hid it really well. She has been married for years, yet no one knew!”
“When did she get married? Who is her husband?”
“This… She didn’t tell us. We don’t know either…”
Ivy took a deep breath and went straight to the point. “Did you say you found out she was married last week?”
“Yeap.”
Dexter started having interactions with Josie recently too… How could there be such coincidences in the world?
Ivy felt more and more threatened. She was sure that Dexter’s bride was Josie!
It was almost time to finish work.
Josie tidied her stuff and was ready to get off work on time. She never worked overtime.
At that moment, Lucy passed by with some documents in her arms. She smiled, “Josie, the design department is having a gathering dinner this weekend. Would you like to bring your husband along? We haven’t met your husband, although you married long ago.”
Was there a rule that one must bring their husband to meet their colleagues?
Someone chirped in before Josie could reply. “Yeah. He doesn’t come to pick you up after work too. He’s so ungentlemanlike.”
“Perhaps she doesn’t even have a husband?”
Josie rolled her eyes. She wanted to tell them so badly that they had already seen him. They wouldn’t even dare talk to him if he stood before them.
She thought for a while, then chuckled, “Well, my husband is quite sick. It is inconvenient for him to follow me out.”

Chapter 37 Caught Red Handed​

“Sick?” Her colleagues exchanged glances.

Josie initially did not want to create untrue stories about Dexter. But when she thought about how he took advantage of her this morning, she wanted to get back at him!

So she lied with a straight face. “Yeah, my husband has been kind of crippled since he was young, so he doesn’t like meeting people. Well, you know what men are like. They don’t like to feel inferior.”

As soon as Josie finished speaking, everyone was quiet. Their eyes were full of sympathy. Claire sneered, “You are such a saint for being willing to put the rest of your life in his hands.”
“Well, he loves me so much that he is willing to sacrifice his life for me. Love is wonderful. I only married him because we matched each other!”
Josie cupped her face with both her hands. She trembled while trying to hold herself back from laughing as she imagined Dexter being crazy about her.
“Mr…. Mr. Russell… Are you getting off work?” Alice’s voice trembled as she looked behind Josie.
Josie was still smiling as she responded. “Mr. Russell? What about Mr. Russell?”
However, as soon as she turned around, she saw Dexter in front of her.
He looked gloomy, like usual.
His hands were in the pockets of his tight black trousers. Josie felt slightly pressured when he looked at her from a higher angle.
Josie took a step back in surprise, but she accidentally tripped over the chair and fell awkwardly.
A chorus of laughter suddenly burst out in the office.
God save me! Why do weird things like this happen every day since I met Dexter?
Dexter glanced at the woman on the ground. A sparkle glinted in his eyes as he answered Alice, “I just happened to pass by. You all can get off work.”
He left as soon as he finished speaking. Ivy, who was behind him, hurried to catch up. After taking a few steps forward, he turned around. Josie had just gotten up and was rubbing her wrist.

Ivy’s eyes turned dim.
Dexter had a business dinner tonight. He brought Phil along with him. Phil was one of the senior employees in Russell Group whom he trusted.
When the meeting ended, Dexter asked, “There’s a vacancy in the design department. I don’t think leaving it vacant for long is a good idea. Do you have any suggested candidate for it?”
The question took Phil by surprise. He thought hard about it.
Since the day Dexter asked him to give Josie a hand, he had guessed that something was going on between them.
Dexter studied Phil’s expression under the bright moonlight. “Just tell me your thoughts. You don’t have to have the same opinion as I do.”
“…I think Claire is quite competent. Josie is brave and responsible. However, she only started to stand out recently. Compared to Claire, she is less experienced and has poorer results. On the other hand, Claire has secured many projects for Russell Group over these years and gotten a lot of awards. So I think Claire is better than Josie.”
Phil studied Dexter’s face carefully as he spoke. He was afraid that his opinion would offend Dexter.
Although Dexter was younger than Phil, he still made Phil feel oppressed.
“Then?”
Phil did not understand. “Then… What?”
Dexter’s tone grew cold. “You mentioned Josie’s flaws but didn’t mention Claire’s.”
Phil was stunned. Ivy, who had witnessed the whole thing all the while, spoke up for Phil, “What Mr. Yves said is quite right. However, we cannot let an incident like Samantha’s repeat. Moral values are important too.”
Ivy glanced at Dexter after she finished speaking. The man was staring far into the distance. He was still buried in his thoughts.
Based on Ivy’s understanding of Dexter, he kept a clear boundary between work and personal life.
About thirty seconds later, Dexter raised his head and said, “Let’s go home. I’ll think about it.”

Chapter 38 Making Him Supper​

Dexter’s Porsche flew fast and smoothly.

Phil’s forehead was covered in sweat. “Ms. Miller, did I say anything wrong just now?”

Ivy crossed her arms in front of her. Her face was gloomy as she answered, “Don’t worry. Just stick to your answer if Mr. Russell asks you the same question. He’s always serious at work. He will not take it personally.”

“I know.” Phil still felt uneasy. “But Josie and Mr. Russell, they seem…”
“No!” Ivy interrupted suddenly. “Mr. Russell doesn’t pick on people. He focuses on the matters itself.”
She could pry into the truth and act as if nothing had happened. But it was different for others. She would not allow anyone else to know Jodie’s relationship with Dexter!
“Okay…”
It was the weekend tomorrow. Jodie did not plan to sleep early. She made supper with Julie to pass the time.
Julie nodded enthusiastically. “Mrs. Russell, you are an expert in the kitchen. It looks delicious.”
Josie nodded proudly, “I grew up in a less fortunate family. I lived from hand to mouth, so I made my meals to save money. I learned how to cook in time.”
Jenny never did any chores. Most of the time, it was Paul who cooked. But Josie did not want Paul to get too exhausted from both work and home, so she did most of the chores at home.
Josie poured the drink she had made into a glass. She glanced outside, but she did not see anyone.
“Julie, does Mr. Russell often come back this late?” She had never seen Dexter come home early after staying at his place for so long.
“Yeah. Mr. Russell is always busy with work. Sometimes, he only gets home in the early morning. Before you moved in, he would sleep in hotels whenever he got drunk outside.”
This sounded weird to Josie, but she did not want to overthink it. She did not like to think after work.
No wonder Dexter was so successful. He worked very hard.

“Mrs. Russell.” Julie nudged Josie and winked at her. “You made so many delicious dishes tonight. You must have done all this for Mr. Russell, right?”
“Well… That’s quite right…”
Luckily it was Dexter, so she still had the chance to make it up and apologize to him. If it were any other men, they would have divorced her if they heard her say they were disabled!
She recalled the look in Dexter’s eyes back then…
At this moment, Josie heard the car engine revving into the garden.
Julie took the dessert and beverages and brought them out. “Mr. Russell. You’re back. Mrs. Russell made you these for supper.”
Dexter’s initially cold eyes sparkled with surprise. The dining table was full of exquisite food, and they smelled good.
He raised his head and saw Josie running out of the kitchen while taking off her apron.
“You… You’re back.”
Julie and the maids excused themselves, leaving Josie and Dexter alone.
“You made these?” Dexter was surprised.
“Yes, but Julie and the others gave me a hand. Would you like to try some? I made this strawberry cake, mango crepe, and chocolate truffles. I promise they’re better than the ones you buy outside!”
“I don’t do desserts.”
Josie was embarrassed.
“… I didn’t know. I wanted to show appreciation to you. That’s why I made a table full of food for you. But you came home late, so I could only make you supper.” She lowered her head, wishing that there was a place to hide.
“Josie,” Dexter said in a low voice. He suddenly noticed how short she was. “Are you trying to cheer me up?”
Josie immediately raised her head and waved her hands vigorously. “No, no. I’m trying to make it up to you. I said some… demeaning words about you just now. I hope you won’t take it to heart. I will not do it again!”
She did not look flirtatious at all. She just looked sincere in her apology!

Chapter 39 Focus on Work​

She really cannot afford to lose her job!

Dexter folded his arms in front of his chest. The look on his face was cold and aloof. “I remember giving you information about myself when you moved in. It is stated that I don’t take desserts. Don’t you know how much trouble you’d cause if this scene happened outside?”

Josie lowered her head while she was being nagged. She had forgotten that only Henry knew that they were married.

They seemed more like a superior and a subordinate now.
“Mr. Russell, the information…”
“You should spend more effort and time on your job.”
Dexter interrupted her before she could finish. He walked past her and went upstairs. She could smell the stench of alcohol on him.
Josie sat on the sofa, frustrated. She had lost her appetite.
Was he implying that getting to know him was her job?
Her efforts were taken for granted! Why would someone not love desserts? Life was already so stressful, and only sweets could make one feel better…
“Whatever. I’ll eat it if you don’t want to.” Josie murmured. She picked up the cake on the table and started digging into it. The sweetness of the cake dissolved in her mouth. However, she still felt irritated.
Why did you have to be so mean? I was purely joking just now. Nobody knows you’re my husband anyway!
He wasn’t like this at Russell Mansion yesterday.
The tall man stood in the corridor on the second floor. He glanced down and saw the little woman sitting on the sofa. Her cheeks moved as she ate.
When she finally got tired from eating, she froze for a while. She seemed aggrieved and was trying to calm herself down.
Dexter frowned hard. His heart sank.
He did not intend to speak so harshly to her. But he had to. He wanted her to work harder so that she could become the director of the design department.

Then he wouldn’t need to worry about her that much.
Josie seemed to feel his stare. She turned around and looked in Dexter’s direction. There was still cream on the side of her mouth. Dexter took a step backward and hid in the dark.
Josie did not see anyone. She thought she was mistaken, so she got up and cleared the table. She needed to refresh herself to feel better.
The next day.
It was the weekend, but Josie had gotten up early for a part-time job at the mall. She was working as an actor in an escape room. They paid her two hundred a day.
She didn’t go for her part-time job last week because of Dexter. When she was finally done with her ghost makeup, her phone rang. It was a call from the hospital. It startled Josie, but she quickly answered it. “Hello, Dr. Sander? Is everything well with my dad?”
It was noisy at the other end of the phone. Matthew hesitated a while before answering Josie. “Jo, you should come to the hospital.”
Jenny was at the hospital.
She could not reach Josie these few days. She had guessed that Josie would come to visit Paul at the hospital on weekends, so she was waiting there. However, she was surprised that the hospital did not ask her for any payment when she arrived. In addition, Paul was transferred to the VIP suite!
The nurse spoke gently, “Your child paid two hundred thousand for the medical bills.”
Jenny was infuriated immediately.
It turned out that Josie had money. She just didn’t want to give her any!
Jenny quickly pestered the nurse to return the balance of the medical bill. She told the nurse that there was an emergency at home and she needed the money.
“If you don’t return me the balance, I will sit here and wait! I will not leave!”
The huge fuss she caused attracted many people. Matthew heard the commotion from his room, so he walked out to see what was happening. It was then he saw Jenny on the floor, demanding money.

Chapter 40 A Slap​

Josie rushed to the hospital as fast as she could, attracting a lot of curious stares.

“Dr. Sander! She pushed through the crowd and grabbed Matthew’s arm. “What’s going on?”

Matthews raised his eyebrows gently and traced his finger along her face. “Your makeup…”

Josie looked embarrassed, “I’m sorry. I was in such a hurry that I didn’t have time to remove it. Where is she?”
“The security just brought her away. Don’t worry. I didn’t return her the balance.”
Josie was relieved to hear that. She patted her chest. “Great. Thank you so much.”
“My stepmother… is a little blinded by money. I’m really sorry for causing the hospital trouble. Sorry.”
“You don’t have to apologize for that. Although I’m not your father’s doctor now, I know you and your family well. You don’t have to feel embarrassed in front of me.”
Matthew patted her shoulder gently.
At that moment, Josie sat on the chair along the corridor. She spoke to Matthew gratefully. “Luckily, you were here today. No, luckily, you were here all these years. I love listening to you. You have always given me strength, unlike some other people…”
Mathew smiled as he looked at Josie. She still looked cute to him, although she was wearing a ghost’s makeup.
“Well, do you want to go see your stepmother?”
Josie got up from her chair, exhausted. After taking a few steps, she realized that Matthew was following her.
“Dr. Sander, are you not at work?”
“I changed my slots with a colleague before you arrived. Don’t worry.”
Josie felt relieved to have a man accompany her. She was grateful to Matthew.
At this moment, Jenny was being scolded by security in the surveillance room. “Do you think that the hospital is your home? That you can do whatever you want here?”
Jenny raised her head and saw two people walking into the room. She quickly shouted out loud, “Josie!”

“Sir, this is my daughter. Please let me go!”
The security turned around and saw a woman in weird makeup. “Are you her daughter?”
“Stepdaughter.” Josie corrected him.
“Well, even if you were adopted, I took care of you all these years. You ungrateful wrench! How could you tell us you have no money for your brother’s wedding when you can pay two hundred thousand for this dying man? If I knew you would be so ungrateful, I would have starved you to death back then!”
Josie watched the woman go crazy.
She remembered Paul telling her that it was an arranged marriage. But how could there be no feelings between them after having been married for so many years? Jenny even thought of giving up her husband’s life so that her son could get married.
Such cruelty.
“Enough!” Josie shouted. “Let me tell you the truth. That two hundred thousand does not belong to me. I do not have any money. I only have my life if you want it.”
Jenny suddenly became anxious. She quickly rushed up to Josie and scratched her face. “Whose money is it if not yours? Oh, is it the doctor’s? Did you marry him so he could support your father’s medical bills? Did you sleep with him to save that dying man?”
‘Slap!’
The slap was so hard Jenny’s face turned to one side. She held her cheek in her hand and gaped at the man in the white robe beside Josie with disbelief.
Josie was shocked too. She had known Matthew to be the gentlest man on Earth. He had never hit anyone before.
“Dr. Sander…”
“How dare you hit me!”
“The slap was for Josie. I did it since she did not dare to. You can call the police to report me. Let’s see if the police will charge you for false accusations!”
Jenny widened her eyes. She was at a loss for words.
Josie felt so much better. Her lips curled up into a smile as she added, “Do you want to continue to stay here, or do you want to stay at the station? You choose.”

Chapter 41 Wait for Her Divorce​

Jenny did not want to have any criminal records, so she left, sneering, “Well, you wait!”

“Thank you so much for today, Dr. Sander. I wouldn’t know what to do if it wasn’t for you. I’ve tried all the tricks I know to deal with her, but they were all ineffective. Turns out that hitting her works the best.”

Josie thanked Matthew earnestly.

Matthew smiled. “Well, do you plan to thank me just like that? Or will you show me how grateful you are?”
Josie looked at the time. Her eyes sparkled as she said, “Why not I treat you to lunch? You do not have a shift now anyway, right?”
“That’s great. But your makeup…”
Only then Josie remembered her ghost makeup. She cursed under her breath and rushed to the nearest restroom. “Wait a moment, Dr. Sander!”
Matthew’s eyes twinkled as he smiled.
Well, I will for however long she wants.
In the Italian restaurant.
The chili mussels were so spicy that Josie could not even close her mouth. She raised her glass and had a toast with Matthew.
“Do you know how good it felt when you hit her? I have wanted to slap her over the past ten years, but I never dared to. You helped me achieve my dreams.”
Matthew put his hands on the table and smiled, “I cannot imagine you being in that hell for ten years. I’m more than happy to help you achieve your dream.”
“Sigh… Finally, something good happened.”
“What’s wrong? Is everything alright?”
Josie opened her mouth to speak, but no words could describe what she was going through. “Oh, it’s all just work.”
Matthew caught a glimpse of her frustration. He pursed his lips. “Is it related to your father’s two hundred thousand?”

It was quite a general question. Josie answered naturally, “Yeah. Money is difficult to come by.”
When she saw Matthew staring at her earnestly, she could not hold it back anymore. “Dr. Sander, can you lend me your ears for a while?”
“Of course.”
“Okay then… I shall tell you the truth. I got married because of the two hundred thousand and the medical team. Does this sound ridiculous? I sold myself for all that.” Josie smiled bitterly.
Matthew was surprised. He frowned and shook his head. “You got married for that?”
“Yes. I had no other choice. But don’t worry; I’m not selling my body. It’s just legal documentation, and I only have to act as his wife!”
Matthew’s smile grew wider when he saw her explaining nervously. He could finally feel some weight off his shoulders.
“I believe you.”
“Great! I finally have someone who understands me. But Dr. Sander, do you think that I am… Cheap?”
Josie always felt cheap when Dexter looked at her.
“Of course not, Jo. Everyone has their difficult times. It is okay to be like that temporarily. You just have to remember to get back to your feet as soon as possible because this marriage is not good.”
Josie nodded frantically. “I know. Well, I shall treat you to another meal when I get a divorce then!”
“I shall treat you to a meal when that time comes.” Matthew poured her some wine as he looked at the girl’s bright, cheerful eyes.
“Sure!”
Josie did not know that Matthew wasn’t finished with his sentence.
I will confess my love to you then.
“What is the man you got married to like?”
Josie replied almost immediately. “Cold, ruthless, domineering, illogical, arrogant, and mean.” She would use all the negative adjectives she knew to describe Dexter if she could!

Chapter 42 Stay Away from Him​

After their meal, Josie and Matthew walked out of the restaurant. They were in an affluent business district.

“I’ve got to go back to the hospital.”

“What a shame. Does someone have to do double shifts this weekend?” Josie teased.

Matthew pinched her nose in retaliation and said, “Is someone planning to ditch their part-time job and find another one?”
“Dr. Sander, you hurt me.” Josie pouted.
Dexter was walking out of a Japanese restaurant from the shopping mall across from the pair. He was greeted with such a scene when he raised his eyes.
I can’t believe Josie is flirting with some other guy in front of me!
“Mr. Russell, it was nice talking business with you. I will increase the work progress when I get back.” Dexter’s business partner said while reaching his hand out for a shake.
Dexter recollected himself and shook his hand briefly, “I look forward to our partnership.”
“I’ve got another thing to get to. If everything is settled, I’ll take my leave first.”
“Please.”
Dexter watched as the man left. When he turned back to the pair, the man was gone. Josie stood by herself. She seemed uneager to leave.
After Matthew left, Josie was about to walk in the opposite direction but stopped. She thought she saw a familiar shadow just then. She cocked her head to the side curiously and saw Dexter standing in front of the Japanese restaurant opposite her. He stood tall and had a good figure. He wasn’t wearing a suit today and had on a plain white POLO shirt and black slacks. Although dressed casually, he gave off a luxurious air and attracted the attention of the people around him.
Why is he here?!
Before Josie could react, Dexter was already walking to her with his imposing aura.

Josie forced a smile as she thought about last night’s situation, “Hi, Mr. Russell. What a coincidence! I didn’t expect to see you here. Did you have a good lunch?”
“Aren’t you impressive. I was wondering how you recovered so quick. Who knew it was because you had a date.”
Josie did not understand what he meant by her recovering quickly.
“What date? Matthew is my friend! Does it matter to you if I have lunch with my friends? I don’t think that’s in the contract, Mr. Russell.”
“Friend? I didn’t realize you were so open that you’d let a male friend pinch your nose.” Dexter raised his voice slightly.
Josie understood what he meant by that. She scoffed and rebutted, “In France, people greet with kisses to the cheek. We’re living in the twenty-first century. I didn’t know you were so conservative, Mr. Russell.”
Josie’s words made Dexter choke on his saliva. When he cleared his throat, Josie was already on the escalator going down. He hurried behind her.
“Josie, stay away from that guy.”
Josie stuffed her fingers into her ears.
Dexter pulled her hands away and said, “Did you hear me?”
“Why?” She asked with bright eyes.
“He doesn’t have good intentions.”
“Why?”
“He just doesn’t! Anyways, don’t get close to other guys in public. You’re only going to bring me more trouble!” Dexter said as he averted his eyes sheepishly.
Josie did not want to listen to him. She was still mad about yesterday, “I knew Matthew before I even met you. Mr. Russell, don’t you think asking me not to meet my friend is too much?”
“Friend? Josie, you’re being too naïve.” Dexter tossed her hand away.
Men know men the best. She’s such an idiot not to be able to see the way Matthew Sander leers at her.
“You’re so weird, Dexter Russell!” Josie burst out as she couldn’t stand his attitude toward her.

Chapter 43 Home​

Dexter shook himself out of his daze and grabbed Josie’s hand before she could leave, “Follow me.”

“Hey!”

Dexter had long legs and walked fast. Josie could only quicken her steps into a light job as he pulled her along.

“Dexter! Dexter! Why do I have to follow you home? It’s the weekend! I have things to do!” She shouted at him as she covered her face.
Dexter’s Porsche was parked in front of the shopping mall. He opened the door, tossed her in, then quickly got into the driver’s seat and put his seatbelt on.
“Sit tight.”
Dexter navigated his way through traffic at high speed. Josie clutched her seatbelt tightly. She glanced at the rearview mirror and saw the cars far behind them.
It would cause them a lot to compensate for damages to a Porsche 911.
“What did you have with that doctor?”
Josie was stumped for a moment before replying, “I… Italian. Why?”
Dexter clenched his teeth together but did not reply to her.
“What are you doing, Dexter? I agreed to work with you, but you didn’t say I have to spend my weekends with you, too. You can’t just create clauses…”
Josie was met with silence. She was going crazy with all the anxiety inside of her.
When she thought about him reproaching her for having lunch with Matthew, she continued angrily, “I’ve been running errands the whole day. I haven’t even found a new part-time job after running away from my previous one. I’m wasting my precious time being here with you when I can be earning money!”
“What part-time job?” Dexter slightly released his foot off the accelerator. He didn’t think this woman would have a part-time job to attend to on the weekends.
“Do you not understand? It’s as I said. A! Part! Time! Job!”

Dexter turned the steering wheel and said, “If I remember correctly, you have an income of over ten thousand a month. Why do you need to work part-time if you’ve already settled your parents’ medical bills?”
Josie glared at him from the side of her eye and rebutted. “You’re wrong. Although I have some savings, one should always prepare for a rainy day. What if, one day, you leave me to fend for myself? Women have to be independent; we can’t always rely on other people. Of course, I’m relying on you now, but that’s because I have no choice. Also, you don’t know Mr. Russell, but inflation is happening! The things you use at home are getting more and more expensive!”
She spoke without taking any breaks, and her expression was self-righteous.
Dexter did not say anything but suddenly stopped the car and caused Josie’s shoulder to hurt from being pushed into the seatbelt. She looked around to see they had arrived at a luxurious market.
“Aren’t we going home? What are we doing here?”
Dexter unbuckled his seatbelt with a click.
“Today, I’ll let you be in charge.”
The target demographic of this supermarket was the rich. Even something simple would cause hundreds. Dexter was a member, and whenever they needed groceries, he would get Ivy to buy them. He had never been here, but Josie had. She knew the prices on the items here were not for the faint-hearted.
She glanced at the man pushing the cart and whispered, “Oil and salt might have gone up in price, but the prices here are ridiculous! Let’s go to a neighborhood supermarket if you want to play house. You can spend as much as you want there.”
Dexter placed his hand on her head and said, “Didn’t you say you were going to cook for me last night? This is your chance to show me what you got.”

Chapter 44 Bribed by Ice-cream​

Cook for him? I can’t believe he remembered.

“Wait a minute,” Josie rummaged in her bag before grabbing a piece of paper. She quickly scanned through it.

“What?”

“I’m looking at your dietary requirements; what you like and do not like to eat!” Dexter had given her that piece of paper, and she had carried it with her since being reprimanded yesterday.
Dexter was stunned.
Josie shook her head as she looked through the list.
I can’t believe this guy. He is so boring; he doesn’t eat sweets, and there’re so few things he likes to eat. It’s like food is just a means of survival to him.
“Why are you looking at me like that?”
“I feel sorry for you.” She looked at him pitifully.
“Don’t you like Italian? Let’s have this,” Dexter said coolly as he grabbed a jar of spicy arrabbiata sauce from the shelf.
Josie’s eyes lit up, and she teased, “So, you like spicy food? Why didn’t you say? I’m a pro at that.”
Dexter had no time to retaliate as Josie sped off to grab some ingredients. She did not stop to choose her groceries. Soon, the cart was full of food.
“Julie will probably think we’re feeding a zoo,” Dexter said with a raised eyebrow.
Josie reached for an eggplant impulsively and said, “If you say anything else, I’m going to force you to eat ratatouille.”
Dexter’s eyebrows disappeared into his hairline as he avoided looking at the eggplant.
Josie burst out in laughter, “Oh my gosh! I can’t believe the mighty Mr. Russell is scared of an eggplant.”
She was laughing so loudly that she garnered the attention of passersby.
Dexter felt embarrassed standing next to her. He quickly clasped his hand over her mouth and whispered into her ear, “Stop laughing!”

Josie shuddered in his hold. She was distracted by the feel of his hand on her mouth. It was sensitive and hot.
Dexter quickly released her when he felt her warm breaths on his palm. However, Josie seemed unbothered as she raced for the ice cream section.
She loved desserts, but it was too expensive. After long contemplation, she decided not to get any.
“Alright, let’s go pay.” She forced a smile.
Dexter had been watching her, “Why aren’t you getting any?”
Josie sighed and said impatiently, “It’s too expensive. I’ll get it when I strike the lottery!”
Josie had shopped here before. Back then, she was too stressed from work and wanted to get a tub of ice cream to comfort herself, but it was too expensive, so she had never gotten it. She needed to look after herself and her father; she couldn’t buy things impulsively.
Dexter frowned and then opened the freezer door. He took out the tub of ice cream she had been looking at.
It cost two hundred and eighty.
He paused for a moment and then put five tubs into the cart.
“I’m paying.”
She couldn’t reject.
Josie jumped and tried to stop him, “No, I can’t. I know you feel sorry for me, but I don’t need these. I want to buy it with my own money and not your pity money.”
Dexter looked at the hand holding her wrist. Her hand was so small she couldn’t even wrap around his wrist fully.
He waited until she said her bit before replying, “There are five flavors here. I’m going to put it in my freezer. I’ll reward you with a tub whenever you do something that benefits Russell Group. That includes winning a design competition award or getting a partnership agreement.”
Josie looked at him questioningly. He’s trying to control my work.
“Mr. Russell, I have got to say, you know how to incentivize your employees.”
“I don’t do this for everyone.”

Chapter 45 I Can’t Find Her​

It was evening when they walked out of the supermarket. The sunset cast a pink glow over the city, giving it a warm and inviting atmosphere.

Josie had her back toward the light. She couldn’t see Dexter’s face clearly, but the sunset colored his hair golden. He was systematically putting the groceries they had bought into the trunk. Josie felt an indescribable feeling within her; her heart started to race. It was undeniable Dexter was a sensible and mature man. There weren’t many men like him, even less those that stood at the top of the food chain. Josie couldn’t believe she had bagged this man as her husband.

Albeit… only in name.

“Get in. What are you doing?” Dexter tapped the underside of her head.
Josie wanted to ask him if he had ever dated before or if he had ever liked someone, but she stopped herself. Because she knew Dexter probably wouldn’t answer, and even if he did, it probably would not satisfy her curiosity.
When they returned to Mason Garden, Julie jumped when she saw how many groceries they had bought.
Josie was quick on her feet. She started to busy herself the moment she entered the house while Dexter sent some emails from the couch in the living room. He would occasionally glance toward the kitchen. It was his first time seeing a woman donning an apron and cooking for him.
A delicious aroma wafted from the kitchen shortly after, and Josie came out with some dishes.
“Time to eat,” she called out.
The last time someone besides a servant had called him for a meal was fifteen years ago.
Fifteen years have gone by in a blink…
There were several Italian dishes on the table. When Julie saw the spicy arrabbiata pasta, she commented worriedly, “Mr. Russell doesn’t really eat food with strong flavors. How about I make a couple of light dishes?”

Josie took off her apron and stopped her, “No, he requested this, and I spent so much time on it. You don’t have to worry, Ms. Carroll.”
“Don’t worry. I can eat it.” Dexter unbuttoned the cuffs on his sleeves and rolled them up.
He could eat spicy food, but it had been a while.
Josie wasn’t as good at eating spicy as he was. Ten minutes later, she was downing glasses of milk, but besides a hint of red on Dexter’s lips, he showed no reaction.
“It’s not bad.”
Josie was clenching her teeth from the spice.
“Mr. Russell, most people in Wavery can’t stand spicy food. I didn’t expect you to take it so well.”
Dexter paused and said, “I had a friend who liked to eat spicy food. But my friend wasn’t good at eating it. We often went to eat together, so I got used to it.”
“Was your friend male or female?” Josie asked.
“Female,” Dexter replied hesitantly.
Josie’s hand loosened, and her face almost hit the table. She looked at Dexter warily.
I didn’t think he would have female friends.
“Where is she now?”
“She’s gone.” Dexter’s image of his friend and Josie’s face merged into one.
The air grew thick, and Josie felt stupid for asking.
“Sorry. I didn’t know…”
Dexter averted his gaze. His eyes were filled with sorrow.
“She’s not dead. I just can’t find her.”
Can’t find her… Josie felt as though she had swallowed a rock. She didn’t dare to ask anymore. She could tell from Dexter’s tone that he did not want to talk about it.
Dexter broke the silence by picking up his fork and asking, “Why did you quit your job and have lunch with that doctor today?”

Chapter 46 Start from People Around You​

Josie felt annoyed as soon as the topic was brought up.

She held her face with both hands. He knew about her anyway. Perhaps she could just tell him about everything that happened today.

Dexter raised his brows confidently, “It seems related to me.”

“Related to you?” She barely mentioned him.
“The two hundred thousand.”
Josie was speechless.
Dexter dipped his finger in water and drew an arrow on the table when he saw her in confusion.
“Russell Group was supposed to work with Lagoon Capital to expand its business territory last year. But the proposal got rejected as soon as it was sent out. It turned out that Lagoon Capital’s project manager had planned to use this project to get a better job with a different company. I sent evidence of his romance scandals to his wife after discovering it. As expected, his wife created a stir at Lagoon Capital. It affected him terribly.”
“He was sacked from Lagoon Capital immediately, and a new project manager took over. From that day onwards, we successfully collaborated till today.”
Dexter drew another line from the arrowhead again.
“Sum up this matter.”
He crossed his arms in front of his chest. He looked incredibly like a leader quizzing his subordinate. Josie became nervous. “The conclusion is… The conclusion is if his wife hadn’t made a ruckus, Russell Group would have never managed to collaborate with Lagoon Capital.”
“Smart.” Dexter smiled. “We must be flexible. If we cannot change someone, we can try tackling the people around him.”
He got up and went upstairs as soon as he finished speaking. He left Josie sitting in her place in a daze.
Dexter was giving her a tip. But how was she going to tackle the people around Jenny? She had never liked Jenny, nor knew the people around her, except for Justin… But he was exactly like his mother!

The next day.
Josie was at her workstation. While resting, she logged into her Twitter account and found Justin’s account. She read every single post of his.
Alice passed by her and peeked at Josie’s phone. “Who is that? Why are you stalking people?”
“My younger brother.”
“What? Are you stalking your younger brother? You are crazy, Josie. Why do you even need to check who liked his posts?” Alice was shocked.
Josie waved her hand and continued to scroll through Justin’s posts. “Stop making a fuss. I’m doing something important.”
Soon, she clicked into an account and exclaimed excitedly, “I found it!”
It was a woman’s Twitter account. She had a selfie attached to all her posts. Josie knew who it was—her younger brother’s girlfriend!
“Who is that?”
“My younger brother’s girlfriend. I searched his friend list but couldn’t find her. After checking the likes of all his posts, I finally found her in a post in April.” Josie explained proudly.
“Amazing work… What a pity you aren’t a reporter.” Alice did not understand why Josie needed to do so. She returned to her workstation.
Josie started tapping on her keyboard. She sent a private message to that account: ‘Hello, I’m Justin’s sister. I need to talk to you. Can we meet?’
Her name was Nicole. She had been dating Justin for three years. As their relationship was relatively stable, they planned to get married.
Nicole updated her account daily, so she was likely to see Josie’s message soon.
As expected, Nicole replied to Josie’s message as soon as she finished work: ‘Are you Josie? But I am doing overtime today. I’ll visit you another day.’
‘I can go look for you at work today!’ Josie quickly responded.
She could not wait any longer.

Chapter 47 Heavy Debts​

The place Nicole worked was quite far from Russell Group. After more than an hour on the bus, Josie finally arrived at her destination. It was already dark, and many people were already having their dinner.

Nicole and Justin graduated from the same university. But because her results were not good enough, her job wasn’t very favorable. She worked as a property agent at a property agency.

Josie waited at the café below Nicole’s workplace for an hour. Her hot coffee had completely cooled down when she saw Nicole coming with her bag on her back.

“I’m so sorry to keep you waiting. I should have gone to visit you instead, but I was too busy. I just came back from a house tour with a client…” Nicole said apologetically.
She was quite pretty, but long hours of work had drowned her in fatigue. She was not in a fair condition.
Josie gestured at her to take a seat. “It’s alright. I work overtime often too. I understand.”
Nicole looked a little embarrassed as she continued, “May I know… What’s the matter?”
“Right. I heard that you are getting married to Justin soon.”
“Yes… That’s why I’m working so hard,” Nicole replied shyly.
Josie could tell that Nicole was a down-to-earth person. She was a good girl. “I hope you don’t mind me being straight with you because Justin and I are not biological siblings.”
Nicole nodded quickly. “I know. Justin told me.”
“Then I shall get straight to the point. His mother is going around collecting money for your marriage with Justin. She even wants to cut off his father’s medical expenses for it. I wouldn’t have come to you if things were not so serious.”

“Ever since our father fell sick, I have supported his medical expenses. Justin and his mother have never paid a single penny. That indicates that his mother has no money at all for your marriage. There are many ways one can have money if one is willing to work hard for it. Cutting off medical expenses is not a resort.”
Josie had made it extremely clear to Nicole. She hoped that Nicole understood her meaning.
The Warren family was burning hell. She shouldn’t jump into it.
Nicole pursed her lips. Her face darkened. “Josie, I do know a little about this. But I can’t do much because I’m not in the position to do so… However, I believe everything will be better if I work hard after we get married.”
Josie understood now. Nicole loved Justin. Josie frowned and decided to reveal to Nicole how terrible the situation was. “Ms. Hart, do you know that Justin is in debt?”
Nicole was stunned. She obviously didn’t know.
“He only told me that his family didn’t have much money, and we had to start from scratch.”
Josie snorted helplessly. She took a credit report from her bag and handed it to Nicole.
“This is Justin’s current financial situation. He has been gambling for the past few years. He is jobless and is living on loans. He lost a lot and could not pay his debts. He is now a disreputable person. He can’t take trains or planes. Do you know about this?”
Josie used to wonder why Justin was keen on cutting off his father’s medical expenses until she saw his phone and discovered that he owed a lot of money.
Only a gambler would scorn family ties.
Nicole’s hand trembled as she held the report. She didn’t know anything about this. It must have hit her hard.
“Justin owes approximately a few hundred thousand. If you marry him, Ms. Hart, with your monthly salary of ten thousand, how many years will it take for you to help him pay off his debts?”

Chapter 48 Stay Out All Night​

Josie could not bear to break the girl’s heart. But this relationship was just an unrealistic rosy view. Josie must stop Jenny’s greed and save this girl from jumping into these fires of hell.

“Justin has not stopped. He is still gambling. Deceitful people like him have no limits. It will ruin your whole life if you stay with him. I hope you will reconsider your decision carefully.”

Nicole closed her eyes. Her shoulders shook as she started crying.

It was worse than a nightmare.
“You are a good girl. You shouldn’t be undermined by Justin. You can look for abetter man to love. As a woman, I’d advise you to call off the engagement.”
Josie patted Nicole’s shoulder. Nicole could no longer hold herself back. She buried her head into Josie’s arms and cried, “I’ve never thought he would be like that. I thought… I thought… He was sincere toward me!”
“He just wants to trick you into paying his debts with him and suffer!”
Josie patted her head and said, “Nowadays, any relationship without financial support will fail easily.”
Nicole said nothing and continued wailing.
After about half an hour, Nicole finally calmed down. She promised Josie that she would reconsider her relationship with Justin.
When they exited the café, it was already past ten. Josie did not have dinner, but she was no longer hungry.
The buses had stopped, so Josie had no choice but to get a cab back to Mason Garden. She could not help but curse Justin under her breath. How are you going to repay me?
It was a long journey. Just as Josie started feeling sleepy on the way, her phone started vibrating. Her phone showed: That man.
“Hello…” Her voice was still drowsy as she answered the phone.
“Where are you?” After a moment of silence, the man’s voice was heard. He sounded a little angry.

When Josie heard his voice, she immediately regained consciousness.
“Mr., Mr. Russell! I… I’m on the way back. What’s the matter?”
“What time is it now?”
Josie glanced at her phone and answered, “…Ten fifty-eight.”
“If you don’t reach home within ten minutes, you don’t have to come back anymore.”
Dexter was furious. He sat on the sofa in Mason Garden with a dark face.
He had finished work early today. He thought he would see that woman as soon as he reached home, but he didn’t. According to Julie, Josie had called and informed that she would be home late.
It was late into midnight.
Dexter did not know why he was still waiting. He had planned to go to rest already, but he could not fall asleep. He kept walking out of his room to check with the maids if Josie had returned.
“Not yet… Mr. Russell.”
The maid’s fear grew every time he asked them about Josie.
Dexter checked the duty roster for the design department that day. Josie did not have any appointments outside. Her colleagues said that she had left as soon as it was time.
What was she doing alone outside so late? The thought of when Mr. Davidson made Josie drunk caused him to shudder.
He was so anxious that he couldn’t help calling Josie.
Soon, the sound of footsteps was heard from outside. Josie opened the door and walked in. She saw Dexter waiting for her on the sofa as soon as she raised her eyes. He looked cold.
When she saw him staring at her, she put on an innocent look and raised her phone. “Mr. Russell, eight minutes. I’m on time.”
“… Where did you go?”
“I went to practice the skill you taught me.” Josie did not realize how serious this matter was to Dexter. She put down her bag happily and ran to him. She wanted to tell him about what had happened today.

Chapter 49 Another Fight​

However, just as she was about to approach Dexter, she stopped suddenly because the expression on the man’s face had turned ugly.

Josie finally realized that something was wrong. She turned around and beckoned at the maid behind her, asking silently: What’s wrong with him? The maid shook her head. She looked afraid as if she was not allowed to answer that question.

Josie had no choice but to muster her courage and step forward. She asked carefully, “Mr. Russell, did I upset you again?”

She suddenly felt as if she was trying to tame a tiger.
Dexter was difficult to tame. The look on his face terrified people.
“Go on. Tell me. What were you doing outside so late? Did you go on a date with Dr. Sander again?”
The sarcasm in his words and mockery in his eyes ruined Josie’s good mood. She demanded angrily, “What do you mean? I’ve told you that Dr. Sander and I are only friends. You make it sound as if I have a scandal with him.”
Dexter glared at her. “Am I wrong?”
“… Rascal.” Josie could not help but curse under her breath.
She had not had dinner yet, and it was a long journey home. Her mood was not good, and she was ridiculed as soon as she got home. She almost lost her temper. She stood there for a long time and dared not approach Dexter anymore.
“… I thought you would understand, but it was just a fantasy of mine.”
After that, Josie turned around to head upstairs.
Dexter got up suddenly and grabbed her wrist. Anger was written on his face as he said, “A lady should never return home so late no matter what happens! How dare you curse me, Josie! What made you so bold?”
Josie pushed the man’s hand away. The anger she had been suppressing all night surfaced.

“I forgot to tell you I’m not a good girl. Even my parents do not care what time I get home. Who are you, Mr. Russell, to control me? Even if I work for you, I have the freedom to choose how I spend my time after work! You are inexplicable!”
Josie was used to having freedom since she was young. No one in the Warren family cared about her. Her father used to care for her, but ever since he fell ill and stopped doing so, Dexter was the first person who tried to restrict her from returning home late.
The woman’s fierce look made her look like a little hedgehog.
That sentence, “Who are you to control me?” humored Dexter. “Have you forgotten that you are still mine even after work? You are my wife. Who has the right to control you if not me?”
This sentence sounded like “You have no freedom” to Josie. It angered her more. “Should I continue my act even when I’m asleep? You are such a capitalist! You are practicing monopolistic ownership!”
Dexter was at a loss for words. He raised a finger and pointed into the air. With a cold tone, he said, “Don’t take my kindness for granted. You are not as important as you think.”
He stormed upstairs furiously after he finished speaking.
Who should be the one losing their temper now? Josie pushed her hair to the back and told the maid, “Hurry, pour me a glass of water. I can feel the fire in my head right now. It’s burning me to death.”
The maid quickly passed her a glass of water.
“Madam, I’ve stayed here for a long time. You are the first person I met who dares to argue with Mr. Russell.” She gave Josie a thumbs-up as she looked at Josie in awe.
“I didn’t want to argue with him. Didn’t you hear what he said? He’s too domineering! What a bad temper he has!”

Chapter 50 Misunderstandings Cleared​

The more Josie talked about it, the angrier she became. Even after gulping the glass of water down, it didn’t appease her.

When the maid heard that, she shook her head. “Mrs. Russell, Mr. Russell cares about you immensely. Perhaps his choice of words wasn’t appropriate, but…” She was unsure what words to use, so she cut to the chase. “When he’s not working, he always sleeps early. But tonight, he hasn’t rested at all. He asked me a few times whether or not you were back. I can tell that he’s worried about you.”

Josie froze after hearing that. She recalled his solemn tone when he called her just now and how he reacted. Well, it’s definitely weird.

“He… waited for me the entire night?”
The maid nodded. “Yeah. Julia also saw that. Mr. Russell was worried about you, so… what you said just now was quite harsh.”
He’s worried about me, but why?
“No matter what, he… shouldn’t have said that…”
“That’s because he loves you too much.”
Goosebumps immediately appeared on her arms after hearing that. That’s not the case at all. How is it possible that he loves me?
She shook her head to clear her mind.
“Of course not. He’s just worried that I might create trouble for him. I know he wants to maximize my value here.”
With that, she felt much better. That’s right. He’s a capitalist. He loves me too much? Gah! That’s wishful thinking!
“Mrs. Russell–”
“Alright, is there any food in the kitchen? I’m starving.”
The following day, Josie caught herself thinking about the maid’s words the night before and wondered if she had overreacted.

Because of that, she didn’t sleep well; her entire body hurt when she woke up.
She stopped when she passed by Dexter’s room. Suddenly, the door opened, and he appeared in front of her with water droplets on his face – he had just taken a shower.
He was surprised to see her, but he soon pursed his lips. It was apparent that his anger hadn’t abated.
Startled by him, Josie fumbled awkwardly for half a minute before saying, “Er… I went to look for my brother’s girlfriend. Her workplace is quite far from here – I paid two hundred to get there! That was why I came home late yesterday.”
Initially, she didn’t want to explain to him, but she started speaking without realizing it.
Surprise flitted across Dexter’s eyes. It was out of his expectations that she explained the situation to him. It’s good that she doesn’t hold grudges.
He curled his lips and remarked sarcastically, “I didn’t know you could speak.”
“… I got mad after hearing you accuse me of cheating with Matthew. You started it first.”
She could smell his scent strongly after the shower, so she didn’t dare to look at him.
He was too good-looking that she was worried about blushing and embarrassing herself.
At that point, Dexter’s fury had ceased. “No matter what happens, you have to be back by eleven from now on.”
“Why?”
She recalled the maid’s words – ‘he cares about you.’
“Because you live on my turf – you have to listen to me.”
She was speechless to hear that.
He started making his way downstairs in a seemingly better mood.
Josie twitched her lips and made a face behind his back. He’s a capitalist, for sure!

Chapter 51 The New Manager, Claire​

Josie was relieved after speaking to Nicole. She believed that Nicole would make the right decision. As long as they called off the marriage, Jenny had no reason to ask for Paul’s medical bills.

However, Nicole hadn’t replied to her for a few days. She was worried that Nicole might be persuaded by Justin because of love. She was also concerned that Justin might harm Nicole when he was pushed into a corner.

She looked at their chat, hesitating if she should ask her.

At that moment, there was a commotion in the design department.
Dexter’s assistant, Ivy, appeared in sleek and beautiful formal attire.
“Mr. Russell has a new announcement.” She waved the file in her hands.
Alice nudged Josie. “I bet it’s about the new manager. Could it be you?” Alice whispered.
Josie was doubtful about that. “I don’t think so.” I don’t have enough experience.
Under everyone’s gazes, Ivy opened the folder and announced, “The new manager for the design department is Clair Wilcher.”
Team A cheered for her.
Alice looked disappointed. “Hmph. You’re better than her.”
Nevertheless, the result was within Josie’s expectations.
She shook her head with a wry smile. “Nonsense.”
Ivy suddenly appraised her interestedly before quickly leaving.
Looking at her figure, Josie said, “Out of so many people, I envy her the most. At such a young age, she’s capable enough to be Mr. Russell’s personal assistant. Not only is her salary high, but she’s also very confident. How nice.”

Alice also followed her gaze. “True… She’s more capable than anyone else. I heard that back when the CEO of Russell Group was undecided, she chose to stand up for Mr. Russell and went through many obstacles with him until today. Not everyone has her foresight and tenacity. I guess she’s Mr. Russell’s most trusted person in this company.”
Josie also heard some news about her. If I were Ivy, I’d probably choose Dexter too. He is different from others, and he has good leadership. Well, there are no what-ifs. I couldn’t possibly have met him so many years back.
In the pantry, Phil was making a cup of coffee. When he saw Ivy looking out the window absent-mindedly, he walked over and smiled. “Ms. Miller, I heard you announce the latest personnel change at the design department today.”
She lifted her head and eyed him cautiously.
“It’s approved by Mr. Russell. Why can’t I announce it?”
“It’s not your job. You stepped over the boundaries of your job. Does he know?”
“Do you want him to know?”
Phil was a sly, old fox in this industry. He took a sip of his coffee before replying, “You’re his favorite; I don’t dare to tell on you. Apart from that, I’m also delighted with the result. There’s no need to make a mountain out of a molehill.”
I suppose he doesn’t dare to do so. Ivy continued gazing out of the window, ignoring him.
After finishing his coffee, he whispered in her ears before leaving, “All the best. Everyone is speculating if you are going to be Mr. Russell’s partner. If you’re successful, remember to invite me to the wedding.”
She jerked her head up. Those words were just insults to her.
“Get lost.”

Chapter 52 I’m His Wife​

Though they had cleared the air up, they didn’t have much interaction after that – they were too busy with work.

Josie was still working on the PowerPoint slides to present her proposal to the clients. After Clair became the manager, her workload became heavier. She was not alone; Team B felt a significant increase in their workload.

Fortunately, Clair wasn’t as trouble-seeking as Samantha – at least, she had a great work ethic.

Russell Group had a project with a famous beverage brand. The deal was done by the higher-ups, and Claire hadn’t decided on the person in charge. Josie wanted to give it a try.
Dexter had been flying overseas lately with Ivy and other C-level executives. He had been gone for a few days.
A picture had been circulating on the company forum. Dexter was speaking in a meeting while Ivy stood beside him, looking very compatible.
The atmosphere between them seemed rather flirtatious in the picture – perhaps it was the angle.
Hence, rumors about Dexter and Ivy started spreading in the entire company that she was going to be his wife.
All these years, Dexter hadn’t had any rumors involving women – Ivy was the only one.
Josie snorted out in laughter when she heard that in the pantry.
“A love story between the CEO and his assistant is quite desirable indeed. Unfortunately…”
Alice asked, “What?”
Unfortunately, Dexter is already married. Technically speaking, I’m his wife.
Josie smiled at her teasingly. How improper of me to do that!
“Nothing.”

Ah, I can only imagine that. Who would need to work after marrying a man like him? I have such a miserable life.
Since Dexter was not around, Josie visited her father at the hospital after work to talk to him. However, when it was late, she felt the need to go home. Dexter is simply too intimidating. Subconsciously, I follow all his orders. Is this my nature as his employee?
On that day, she was walking back to Mason Garden on the street lined with oak trees and the scent of flowers. Suddenly, a fancy car drove past her. Before she could get a good look at it, Nicole called her.
“Josie, h-h-he hit me!” she whispered in a trembling voice.
Josie immediately came to a stop. “What? Who hit you? Calm down and tell me everything.”
“It’s Justin. He kept trying to change my mind. I didn’t want to oblige, so he grabbed my hair and hit my head against the wall. He had been hitting me for half an hour before he returned to his senses. It’s terrifying! After that, he kneeled on the floor, asking for my forgiveness.”
Josie could picture the situation vividly.
“What a fiend! How are you now? Did you escape?”
“He tried to lock me up, but I escaped when he went to drink some water. I’m at my place now, but I’m worried he might come here…” Nicole sobbed.
Josie thought that Justin might not want to break up, but she didn’t expect that he would hit Nicole. After all, they had been together for three years.
He’s a gambler who’s at a dead end now. He would do anything.
Josie wanted to continue speaking, but the fancy car stopped and flashed its headlights at her.

Chapter 53 He Hit Her​

“Nicole, calm down. That place is no longer safe. You should leave immediately for a hotel or your parents’ house. I’m going over now.”

While speaking, she walked briskly to the car. The windows were rolled down, revealing Dexter’s handsome but exhausted face. “Who are you speaking to?” he asked, frowning.

It’s Dexter! He’s back!

Josie immediately lit up and got into the car.
“Dexter, can you send me to a place?”
Ten minutes later, Dexter finally understood the situation. He pinched his forehead and said, “According to you, Justin is a gambler at wits’ end. Now that his final hope was destroyed, he might go to extremes – tonight is the perfect example. Even if you help her now, she will still be in danger. I think you should call the police.”
Josie was comforting Nicole through text messages. “You’re so callous. I don’t even know how serious her injuries are. Yet, you’re asking me to tell her to find the police instead. That’s so inhumane!” she protested without even lifting her head.
She felt slightly guilty. If it weren’t for her, Nicole wouldn’t have been hit. Hence, she was determined to see Nicole.
The street lights poured in through the windows on her face that were blazing with determination. After seeing that, Dexter relented. “Alright. Speed up,” he informed the driver.
Nicole took Josie’s advice and went to a hotel. When Josie arrived, it took a while before she dared to open the door. Through the slit, she saw a man next to Josie and immediately became vigilant. “This is…”
Josie quickly explained, “This is my friend. He’s a good person – you don’t have to be afraid of him.”

Finally, Nicole opened the door.
The hotel wasn’t a good-quality one. Dexter looked rather obtrusive, standing there in his designer’s suit.
Nicole was heavily injured, with bruises all over her body. There was an empty patch of hair on her head.
Josie clenched her fists tightly. “Just wait! I will definitely take revenge for you!”
“You’re pretty pumped up, aren’t you? Do you think you can injure him with such a small body?” Dexter doused her flames coldly.
Josie rolled her eyes at him. If you have nothing nice to say, you can just shut up!
Disappointment filled Nicole’s face. “He’s right. I don’t want you to risk your life for me, Josie. I’m utterly disappointed in him; it never occurred to me that he would hit me. I just want to stay away from him, as far as possible, and have a clean break.”
“But what should we do? No one understands him better than you. It’s just a matter of time before he finds you. He is determined to marry you to bear his debt.”
“I also don’t know what to do. I’ll lose my job if this goes on.”
Josie paced around anxiously while Dexter crossed his arms in front of his chest as he leaned against the wardrobe. “You’re making me dizzy.”
“Mr. Russell, help us out! Can you bear to see such an innocent woman injured by a jerk?” she said in annoyance.
“Just leave this city. Since your parents know what is going on, I’m sure they won’t blame you,” he suggested lazily, looking at the sobbing Nicole. “No matter how capable he is, he can’t possibly fly to another city to look for you. On top of that, he’s full of debt.”

Chapter 54 We Are Here​

“That’s a solution – leaving Wavery.” Josie clapped.

Nicole hesitated. “But… my identity card is still with him. What will happen to my job and my parents if I leave? What if he finds my parents?”

“Which is more important, your life or your job?” Dexter asked impatiently. Indecisive women had always irritated him. “Ignore your identity card – just tell the police that you lost yours and make a new one. Don’t worry about your parents. We are still here, and don’t forget about the police. He can’t do anything to them.”

He had the natural air of a leader and was used to giving orders. Nicole nodded weakly, not daring to look at him. “I’ll leave tomorrow morning. But I haven’t told my parents about this. I don’t want them to worry about me.”
Josie sighed and comforted her. “Think about that when you’re safe. Don’t let anyone know where you are going, okay?”
Nicole finally calmed down and thanked them profusely.
When they left the hotel, Dexter finally got some fresh air. Next to him, Josie sighed. “Now I know how she stayed with him for three years.”
Nicole was an indecisive woman, while Justin had been taking the lead in their relationship. It’s no wonder she’s fooled by him.
Dexter turned to her. “Can you stop sighing? You’ve been doing that the entire evening – it’s annoying.”
Josie joked, “I didn’t expect you to know that we can get a new identity card that way. I thought you only take private jets when you travel.”
“Unlike you, I have common sense. Even though I take private jets, I’m still a human.”
For the first time, Josie didn’t argue with him. “Okay, okay. Thanks a lot, Mr. Russell. I might have lost my cool if you weren’t here tonight.”

She didn’t expect that he would help her out.
He smiled and opened the door for her. “Good to know that. Shall we go back now?”
She smiled and replied tentatively, “I’m worried that Justin might find her here. I’d like to stay with her tonight. I’ll only be relieved once I see her leave.”
There was an ominous silence.
“I can sleep with her in her hotel room. If you are tired, you can go back. I’ll be fine!”
Dexter looked like he was about to lose his temper.
“So, I should go back and wait for him to beat you guys up. Is that it?” He pursed his lips and frowned. “Get in the car!”
Josie couldn’t reject him. She got into the car, but he didn’t ask the driver to start the engine. Instead, he closed his eyes and rested in the backseat.
She was slightly fearful for a moment before realizing that he meant to stay in the car to monitor the situation outside since they could see the street clearly.
As the light fell on his face, it accentuated his exhaustion.
He’s probably been busy the entire day. Yet, before he could go home and rest, I involved him in this.
Gratitude surged within her. She lay down and said tentatively, “Dexter, thanks for everything today.”
She no longer addressed him as ‘Mr. Russell.’
It’s my personal issue. He doesn’t have an obligation to help me out.
She thought he didn’t hear her, but in the next second, he placed his hand on her eyes, which were moist with tears.
“Let’s sleep.”
Josie’s eyelashes fluttered before she shut her eyes.
This was the second time they slept next to each other. Josie still felt uneasy because of the surroundings. Her heart couldn’t stop thumping hard.
She was even making sure that she wasn’t breathing too loudly.
“Should I book a room for you to rest better?”

Chapter 55 Breakfast Delivery​

Josie kept checking the situation outside and barely slept the whole night.

Thankfully, Justin did not show up at all that night.

At daylight, Nicole came out of the hotel carrying a bag and hailed a taxi to head to the transportation hub.

Josie thought of waking Dexter up. But when she turned to him, she realized he had already opened his eyes and was looking at her.
She felt goosebumps from his gaze. “Erm…”
Dexter pressed his brow and instructed the driver, “Follow that car.”
The early morning air in Wavery carried a hint of saltiness of the sea. Soon, there were more cars on the road and people moving about. Josie stretched her waist and felt aches all over her muscles and joints. Since her body ached, she could imagine it must be worse for Dexter, who was used to a life of comfort.
The thought made her feel even more remorseful.
After quietly escorting Nicole to the transportation hub, the driver turned to Dexter and asked, “Mr. Russell, would you like to return to Mason Garden or the company?”
Dexter considered briefly and answered, “The company.”
Josie only dared to suggest softly, “Perhaps you should go home and rest this morning.”
She was all right because a social animal like her was used to staying up late. However, she was concerned that Dexter would get sick.
Dexter snorted and responded sarcastically, “Will you be helping me with my work?”
Josie had nothing to say. She knew she could not handle his work.
As the head of a publicly listed company, every second of his working hour was valuable. After all, every department waited for his decision. Thus, Dexter had to go to work.
He could not afford to rest.
Josie asked the driver to stop as the car neared Russell Group. “I’ll get off here!”
Dexter frowned slightly and guessed her intention. However, he could not resist messing with her. “Do you find it embarrassing to be seen in the same car with me?”

Josie looked at him incredulously. “If I am seen getting out of the car with you, the tabloid will dig up everything about me, including my ancestors, and put them on the news tomorrow.” She clasped her hands and pleaded, “Mr. Russell, please have mercy on my ancestors and let them rest in peace!”
After saying that, she rushed out of the car with her backpack as if trying to escape. Then, she ran toward the company.
“Ungrateful brat.” Dexter raised his eyebrows, but his mouth curved up slightly.
Josie ran for a while and saw Dexter’s Porsche speed away. Then, she suddenly thought of something and entered a breakfast shop by the street.
“Miss, what would you like to have?”
“Erm… Can I get the pancakes to have here? Also, I would like a hash brown, two bacon sandwiches, and a latte for takeaway.”
Food prices had risen rapidly. Ten years ago, a bacon sandwich would only cost a coin each. But now, she had to pay five coins for one. Thus, Josie usually wouldn’t buy them for herself.
However, these were for Dexter. Josie had no idea how she could thank him for what he did last night. Then, she remembered he had not had breakfast. Therefore, she rushed to send the food to him.
Thus, Josie carried the breakfast and took the elevator from the underground car park. Since it was still early, she hardly met anyone on her way to his office.
She would see someone occasionally, but they were people she did not know from other departments.
Dexter had a private break room in his office. He would stay there whenever work was hectic. It was complete with all kinds of amenities. Dexter was tired, so he decided to take a bath first.
When Josie reached the top floor, no one was in the secretary’s office. Thus, she quietly sneaked into Dexter’s office and found it empty. Where’s Dexter? Hasn’t he arrived at the company?
She could not figure out where he was. Thus, she had no choice but to put the breakfast on his desk. She pulled out a sticky note from her bag and wrote a message for him. ‘Thank you for your kind assistance, Mr. Russell. Please enjoy the breakfast.’

Chapter 56 Stuck In a Quandary​

As Josie was about to leave, the break room door suddenly opened.

Dexter had just finished his bath. His hair was wet, and he wore a white shirt with two top buttons open, revealing his exquisite collarbone.

Water droplets flowed from his hair strands and down his neck. Josie widened her eyes and gulped.

Dexter suddenly stopped toweling his hair and narrowed his eyes. “Josie? Why are you here?”
“I… I came to deliver breakfast.”
Suddenly, Josie found herself stuck in a quandary. It was too awkward to stay but too rude to leave. She clumsily pointed at the food on the table.
Josie tried to figure out how she could explain that she did not mean to see him in this state. She did not know that he could bathe here.
Dexter was suspicious of her and went to the desk to have a look. He seemed seductive as he bent over it.
Then, he read the sticky note and smirked. “At least you have some conscience.”
But what are these oily things?
Before Josie could explain, sounds of conversations came from outside. It seemed the staff at the secretary’s office had arrived.
Oh no, what will people think if they see me? Josie panicked and made frantic gestures to Dexter, pleading with him to help her.
Dexter pursed his lips and took the breakfast on his desk. “Follow me.”
Then, he closed the break room door and locked it.
Soon, someone knocked on the door. It was Ivy. “Mr. Russell, are you in there? I noticed water droplets on the floor.”
Josie leaned against the door. Her heart was in her throat. She even forgot to breathe.
Dexter sat on the couch and replied expressionlessly, “Yes, I’m going to rest for a while. Don’t disturb me.”
Ivy paused before continuing, “Did you work overtime? Why didn’t you ask for my help? I…”

“Please leave.”
Ivy was stunned for a moment before replying in the affirmative and leaving the office.
Josie slid from the door and sat before Dexter. Her expression was that of despair. “What am I to do now? Your secretary has come to the office. How am I to leave?”
Dexter’s office is connected to the secretary’s office. Anyone in the secretary’s office can see someone leaving Dexter’s office.
If they see me leaving his break room… My reputation will be ruined.
Dexter pretended not to hear her and opened the oily lunch box. He brought out each food item and frowned with disdain. “What are these?”
“They are delicious!” Josie became even more nervous. She picked up a plastic fork. “This is a hash brown. It’s nice and crispy!”
“These are bacon sandwiches. They put in good smoked bacon and caramelized onions. They are delicious!”
“This is a latte. They roasted the coffee beans the night before and made it fresh per order. They even use fresh full cream milk.”
Josie introduced the food as if they were treasures.
Dexter narrowed his eyes. Josie was currently in the highest room in Wavery. There was endless traffic on the road below and numerous buildings behind her. Despite being in such a grand place, she did not seem out of place sitting here, introducing him to cheap breakfast.
“I only eat toast and drink Americano in the morning.”
Those words immediately extinguished Josie’s enthusiasm. Although she knew the breakfast she had bought meant nothing to him, somehow, she still wished for his approval.
“Sure… This breakfast is considered grand for us ordinary office workers. I’ll eat them. You better not regret it later!”
Josie pretended not to care and reached for a bacon sandwich. However, Dexter suddenly snatched it from her. “Who says I’m not eating?”

Chapter 57 It’s Lonely at the Top​

Dexter ate elegantly. Even though he was only eating a sandwich, he made it a mesmerizing spectacle and did not seem cringy.

Josie was stunned. Then, Dexter raised his eyebrows. “The taste is nothing special. It’s not as nice as the ones I’ve had before.”

His words surprised Josie even more. Does this mean Dexter lived like an ordinary person before this? Wasn’t he brought up in luxuries?

“Is… Is that so? Have you had it before?”
“When I was little,” Dexter replied. He remembered a distant memory but did not elaborate on it.
Josie knew her place and did not ask any more questions. She turned around and looked at the beautiful scenery below. It felt like she could see everything from here.
“The scenery is beautiful. It must be even more amazing at night.”
Dexter took a sip of the latte. It tasted as lovely as she described.
“Do you like it?”
“I do, but I will feel lonely if I stay here for a long time.” Josie hugged her knees and sighed. “After all, it’s lonely at the top.”
Hearing her, Dexter stopped eating and felt a throbbing sensation in his heart.
She was the first woman to enter his private break room and was also the first to verbalize what he had hidden deep in his heart.
However, Dexter felt a repulsion toward her and did not like that she understood him so well.
“What do you know about being lonely at the top? Have you figured out how to get out of here?”
Josie pulled out of her thoughts and panicked. “Oh no! It’s almost office hours. Claire will give me trouble if she realizes I haven’t clocked in. Argh! My attendance for this month is ruined again!”
Is there anything more frustrating than being in the company but unable to clock in?
“Has Claire assigned the order from the beverage company to anyone?” Dexter suddenly recalled the matter.
“No, she probably wants to handle it herself.”
Josie had tried to compete for it but failed.

Dexter leaned back on the couch. He left his shirt collar open wide, making him seem relaxed. “I heard negative things about your new manager. Why didn’t you complain to me?”
Josie laughed. “I’m not a kid. Moreover, would you believe me if I told you? If you had shown favoritism, you wouldn’t have given her the manager position, right?”
She answered him frankly.
Then, Dexter stood up and grabbed a jacket from the cloakroom. “Wait for me here. Don’t come out unless I tell you to.”
Josie finally dared to check the place after he left.
It was spacious. The whole layout should be at least one hundred and fifty square meters. It had a cloakroom, a minibar, a bathroom, and a bedroom. This place had everything.
It would not be an exaggeration to say that this was his second home.
Her legs turned numb. She sat on the couch and waited for his order.
Meanwhile, Dexter gave instructions in his office. “Send this document to Lagoon Capital. They have to make some more amendments to the contract terms.”
“Sure.” Ivy took the document. She could not resist stealing a glance at Dexter. He seemed to be his usual self.
He rarely stays in the break room these days. Why did he stay there last night?
“Is there any problem?”
“Oh, it’s nothing. I’ll head out now.”
“Call in the rest. I have instructions for them.”
“Sure.”
Other than Ivy, three more staff were in the secretary’s office. They were all outstanding at coordinating matters in the company.
They walked into the office respectfully and faced the expressionless Dexter.
“Mr. Russell, did you ask to see us?”
Dexter grunted and said, “I need you to head to the marketing department and bring me the marketing plan for the new project for my approval.”
“What’s going on in the finance department? Why haven’t they submitted the report for the new quarter? I need you to head there and chase them for it. I want to see it today.”
“Also, about the venture capital, tell Alex he better finds a suitable investment. Otherwise, he and his team should leave.”

Chapter 58 Intimate Actions​

After a moment, the three of them looked at each other but quickly responded, “We’ll go right now.”

They walked out side by side and exchanged their misgivings softly. “This can be solved with a phone call. Why does Mr. Russell want us to go in person?”

“Forget it. Mr. Russell must have his reasons.”

At that moment, Dexter’s ‘reason’ was fast asleep on the couch.
Dexter wanted to laugh, and he did. He laughed in rage.
He was sending people away on her behalf, but she was sleeping peacefully here.
After a sleepless night, Josie was exhausted. She fell asleep as soon as she was on the couch but couldn’t sleep well. Her long black lashes trembled, and her tiny mouth was slightly pursed. She was no different from a child.
She had no airs and graces when she slept, and the baby fat was apparent on her face. From this angle, she looked more like Lily from back then… Dexter was engrossed as he watched her. He couldn’t help but lean closer and reach out a finger to poke her face.
It was very soft.
He didn’t notice the smile he had on his face.
“No! Don’t hit me!” Josie suddenly cried out loud. She had awoken in fright, and her body shivered subconsciously. She bumped into the man before her, and her lips brushed across his face because of the proximity.
Josie’s eyes widened, and she looked disbelievingly at the scene before her.
The two of them were very close. They breathed lightly into each other’s ears.
Dexter’s heart sank. The lips that had touched his were very soft. They were so supple that it made him want to go closer.
Her breathing was rushed, and her warm breath sprayed into his ear.
His brows wrinkled tightly.
Josie jumped away quickly, covering her lips with her hands as she stuttered, “I! You! I don’t know! I fell asleep! I didn’t know you were in front of me… Wait, what were you doing?”
Dexter stood up and touched his face with his fingers. “… I was going to wake you up.”

“… Oh…” Josie didn’t know what to say.
“Aren’t you leaving?”
The door of the break room was open. It seemed like Dexter had things under control.
Josie didn’t wait another second. She immediately picked up her bag and ran out. The sound of her heartbeat almost drowned out everything else.
Dexter’s head was starting to hurt. He slammed the break room’s door fiercely. How outrageous. His heart was racing furiously because of Josie.
Josie took the elevator down to the twenty-seventh floor, and she felt her soul floating behind her. Did I just kiss Dexter?
Is that considered a kiss? It shouldn’t be… We just touched lips for 0.00001 of a second.
So why is the sensation lasting so long? Why isn’t it going away?
“Josie! Why did you just arrive? Do you know that you’re an hour late? This can be considered absence without leave!”
Claire berated her sternly as soon as she stepped into the design department.
Josie’s eyes had lost focus, and she didn’t hear a thing. “Huh? Oh.”
“… Forget about your perfect attendance record this month!”
“Okay.”
Claire and the rest of the design department were slightly surprised.
Josie cared about her perfect attendance record so much. Was she okay with it?
Upon seeing her act strangely, Claire couldn’t be bothered to deal with her and turned to return to her office.
Alice hit Josie’s head with a file. “What’s wrong with you? You look like your spirit has left your body. Did you bump into a ghost?”
Josie drank a big gulp of water and waved her hands. “You might not believe it even if I told you. It’s more absurd than bumping into a ghost.”
Alice was dumbstruck.
Josie was muddleheaded the entire morning because of this episode. When she ate lunch, she suddenly thought of something. Who is Dexter? He’s met every type of woman and won’t take this seriously. Since he won’t take it seriously, why am I brooding over it?”
As she thought about it, she became a lot more relaxed!

Chapter 59 He Found Out​

— ‘I’m here, Josie. I’m sorry for troubling you with my parents.’

After Josie left work, she received a text message from Nicole while waiting for the bus at the bus stop.

Her suspended heart finally settled, and she looked down as she replied, ‘It’s fine as long as you’re safe.’

She didn’t know why but the bus today seemed slightly late. She had been waiting for a long time, but it didn’t come. There was a heavy laptop bag in her arms, and she felt like she would fall asleep if she shut her eyes.
At this time, Josie woke up with a start after hearing the sound of a horn. She shivered and saw a Rolls-Royce stop in front of her. The driver rolled down the windows and smiled politely. “We meet again, Ms. Warren.”
Josie’s heart tightened. She immediately looked around to see if there were any Russell Group employees. At this time, the car door opened automatically. It was different from the subtle Porsche this morning. This car seemed very flamboyant.
She got into the car quickly and ensured no one saw her.
In the spacious car seat, Dexter was working on his laptop. His expression was serious and impatient.
“It would be great if you could keep your guard up like this against strangers.”
Josie was dumbfounded. She didn’t know how to face Dexter but felt much more relaxed after he called her out.
After a while, Dexter closed his laptop. She plucked up her courage and asked, “Are you done with work?”
Dexter looked at her from the side.
“It’s nothing. It’s just that Nicole sent me a text message saying that she’s reached.” He was also a part of it. It was only natural to tell him about the progress.
Dexter was confused. “What does she have to do with me?”
“But you helped her.”
“It’s because you were meddlesome.”
“… I’ll keep quiet then.”

Perhaps the Rolls-Royce wasn’t huge, or maybe the image from this morning was impossible to get rid of. Josie felt that the air was thin. Her face flushed uncontrollably, and she didn’t dare to look Dexter in the eye.
The man leaned back in the car seat and watched all her little habits. His lips curved unconsciously.
At this time, Josie’s cell phone rang. The caller ID showed that it was Justin. She was frightened and showed it to Dexter.
“Answer the call,” he said calmly.
Josie cleared her throat and answered the call impatiently. “What is it?”
“Where’s Nicole?” Justin’s voice wasn’t as sloppy as usual. There was a repressed and contained rage that came before he lost his temper.
“Nicole? You’re asking me about your girlfriend? Are you ill, Justin?” Josie acted unconcerned and spoke in her usual manner. Her eyes met with Dexter’s, and she was very nervous.
Logically speaking, Justin shouldn’t know that she had contacted Nicole.
But Justin’s tone was very confident. “Nicole has gone missing. I’ve looked at all her social media, and guess what I found? I found your direct messages with her on Twitter! Good job. I never thought that you were the mastermind. Where’s Nicole? Tell me! Where is she?”
He was almost yelling at the other end. Josie was frightened, and her hand holding the cell phone trembled.
Dexter turned on his laptop again and quickly typed something.
Josie looked at the screen and repeated. “I did look for Nicole because your mom wanted money, so she said she would think about it, but we didn’t talk anymore after that. I don’t know where she is!”
“You’re lying! She only wanted to break up with me after you contacted her! Josie, you must have told her about my debts! You better tell me honestly where she is. Otherwise, I will kill you!”
“I said that I don’t know! Kill me all you want!”
— ‘Hang up!’
Josie obeyed and hung up at once after speaking.