Blind Date Turned Proposal by Mr. Adeel

Description of Novels
Author:
Mr Adeel
Title: Blind Date Turned Proposal Ra Genre: Romance
Language: English Read Online Pages: Ongoing

On the day of the blind date, the man turned out to be fat, short, and greasy! What could she do but run? Josie Warren was about to escape when the man at the next table stopped her. Why was this man so familiar? He… he was her immediate superior, Dexter Russell, a rich tycoon worth millions! What he said next surprised her immensely. “Josie, what about marrying me?” Marriage? Had Dexter been crushing on her for years? Did he set up this blind date to accidentally bump into her? Only highly skilled hunters would appear like prey. So why not! He had the looks and the money, after all. Josie acted on it instead of thinking about it. “Sure! Let’s get married! I will do as you wish and

“That’s not true. It’s only the usual fare. My subordinates must have alarmed you unnecessarily with their ignorance.

Calvin remained calm as ever and swept a glance over the private lounge. He narrowed his eyes upon noticing a woman seated on the couch, concealing her face with her hands.

“I only wish to remind you that the authorities have kept a tight watch on us recently, so don’t cause any trouble,” Calvin replied indifferently and asked the waiter behind him to bring in a dozen bottles of beer.

“Of course I won’t, Mr. Barrett. You showed me such good hospitality and even sent a woman to me. Why would I want to cause you trouble?”

The woman covered her face more securely. Seeing that, Calvin smirked and replied, “I wish you an enjoyable time, Mr. Lane.”

After Calvin left the room, Josie closed her eyes in despair. She never expected Calvin to own this place.

Josie could tell from how Calvin looked at her that he recognized her. Yet, he did not say anything. It meant he feared Mr. Lane and wanted nothing to do with her.

Perhaps he would only consider helping her if she mentioned Dexter’s name. However, Josie could not say anything at the time for some reason.

“Mr. Barrett, what’s the matter?” the waiter could not help but ask when he noticed Calvin walking fast. “Mr. Russell has a business gathering on the top floor, right?” Calvin sounded tense.

Dexter had just arrived and met with a group of people who enjoyed this kind of place. He had no choice. but to join them.

Most of the people from Landon had arrived. Each senior director had a woman in their embrace. Only Dexter sat alone in his seat, fiddling with his cards.

He pulled out a card and tossed it gently on the table. The police are keeping a close watch these days. I was quite surprised by the phone call.

“I bumped into Mr. Carter at Southeast Reservoir last week. He also said something similar.” A portly man also tossed a card onto the table. “Seems like you and Mr. Carter have a tacit understanding.”

“That’s not true. Arnold will be bored if I don’t compete with him for what he wants.”

Dexter calmly indicated to the server to increase his bet

“Martin Lane has nearly done transferring his properties. Once that happens, he will be charged with embezzlement. I’m afraid it means trouble to you and Arnold’s plan to purchase Landon.”

-Dexter appeared unfazed. It seemed as if the matter was within his expectation. “There is a solution to everything. Martin is dense. He’s the reason for Landon’s decline. It’s easy to deal with foolish people, and there are plenty of ways to choose from. Still, thank you for reminding me, Mr. York.”

“Dexter. The man called Mr. York continued frankly, “I’ve always favored you over Arnold. If this matter succeeds, we will be in the same boat. I want a portion of Landon’s wealth.”

Dexter pursed his lips and was about to speak. However, Calvin suddenly opened the private lounge door

and rushed into the room. He apologized to the guests, I’m sorry for the interruption.”

Then, he leaned toward Dexter’s ear and whispered, “Something happened.”

Dexter’s expression changed. He knew something severe must have happened to make Dexter anxious.

Thus, he revealed his cards and placed them on the table, saying, “Gentlemen, I’ve won.”

Then, he got up and left the private lounge. The other guests whispered and discussed amongst themselves as he left. “What’s going on?”

Calvin observed Dexter’s expression and said, “Josie is on the third floor.”

Dexter’s usually indifferent expression had turned dangerously intimidating. He ignored Calvin’s confusion and voice worriedly, “What is she doing here?”

Chapter 91 Exposing Her Identity
Josie was still shocked to discover that Calvin owned Heaven on Earth. As she was still thinking. Mr. Lane returned to his seat and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. “Mr. Lane is quite impressive.”

Josie lighted his cigarette with a lighter and willed her hands not to shake. “Yes, we won’t be here if not for him.”

“Miss, want to come home with me tonight?” Mr. Lane leaned close and was about to kiss Josie’s check. He seemed pretty pleased with her.
Josie skillfully avoided him and whispered, “Of course, if you offer the right price.”

Mr. Lane was happy with her response. Josie reached for a glass of beer. However, she accidentally leaned over too much, causing a card to slip out of her pocket and fall onto the carpet.

“What is that?”
Josie was stunned and almost forgot to breathe when she saw Mr. Lane pick up that card. He placed it under the light to look at it more closely.

Oh no! I forgot to remove it!
“Heaven on Earth guest card?” Mr. Lane raised his voice incredulously. Then, his face twisted with fury as he glared at Josie, “You’re not Mr. Barrett’s staff!”

Josie’s thought was a mess. She was too afraid to move. “I… I must have taken it by accident.”

Mr. Lane grabbed a knife from the table and retreated a few steps. He seemed fully alert. “You there! Call that girl now!”

His subordinates rushed to find a phone and called Josie’s number. Luckily, Josie had silenced her phone, so they could not catch her with a ringing phone. Still, Mr. Lane refused to give up and ordered, “Search for her!”

Everything was so sudden that Josie had no time to find an excuse to escape. A group of people rushed to her and searched all over the body. They found the phone in her pocket and unlocked the screen to find two missed calls.

“Damn woman! How dare you trick me?” Mr. Lane yelled and threw her phone against the wall, shattering
its screen.

Josie nearly blacked out from fear.
“Mr. Lane, I came here to negotiate with you. There’s no need to go that far, right? Moreover, you only gave me a few hours. How am I to get five hundred thousand?”

She had lost all her sense of playfulness from before and retreated as she spoke. It took all her will not to cry.

The knife gleamed in Mr. Lane’s hand. He spat and said, “So you thought to seduce me to write off the debt? Look at yourself in the mirror. You think you’re worth five hundred thousand?”

He grabbed Josie’s long hair and dragged her to Justin. “How dare you two trick me?”

The ruse had been exposed, so Justin knew things were hopeless for him. He cried so much that he almost fainted and could not speak.

Mr. Lane forced Josie to kneel on the floor, hurting her knees. At the same time, he gripped her hair. tightly, forcing her to look up. Then, he placed his knife against her face.

“How dare you use a honey trap on me? You are the first person to attempt it. Should I press the knife harder? Can you imagine being disfigured?”

Josie thought she would die. She shuddered fearfully and said, “Please, let’s talk about this, Mr. Lane. I was wrong. I’m sorry for what I’ve done.”

However, Mr. Lane smiled manically. “Are you scared now? I should try then.”
With that, he pressed the sharp tip of the knife into the left side of her face, leaving a red line on her snow–white skin. Soon, blood dripped from the wound. Josie panicked but did not dare to struggle.

“Kill me! You might as well kill me!”
“Kill you? You don’t deserve it. It’s too…”

“Stop right there!” A cold and intimidating male voice interrupted Mr. Lane before someone kicked dow! the door.

Chapter 92 Going Berserk Over Her
Everyone in the private lounge shuddered fearfully at the noise.

Mr. Lane turned around and saw a tall figure standing at the door. The man had an overwhelming and threatening aura, prompting Mr. Lane to frown and drop his knife in fear.

Josie slowly glanced toward the door. Blood continued to flow from her face. Her vision gradually cleared, allowing her to see the furious and intimidating Dexter.
Dexter immediately found Josie and focused on her. He noticed the despair in her eyes as she kneeled on the floor. It seemed like she was trapped in the depths of hell. Seeing her like this sent stabs of pain into his heart. She looked even more despondent than when someone snatched her credit at work.
“Dexter Russell?” Mr. Lane called out in disbelief. He never expected to see Dexter here.
On the other hand, Dexter stood at the door and glared at Mr. Lane coldly. He did not bring anyone with him, which made him seem even more dangerously insane.
Dexter pushed up his sleeves and strode forward. He did not give Mr. Lane any time to react. He pressed Mr. Lane to the floor and punched him hard, sending blood spluttering from his nose.
Mr. Lane weighed at least two hundred pounds, but Dexter quickly overpowered him. The veins on -Dexter’s neck throbbed. He looked so ferocious that it seemed he would kill Mr. Lane.
Mr. Lane wailed desperately. His subordinates wanted to help him, but Dexter’s threat stopped them in their tracks. “Come at me if you dare!”
Although Dexter was only a young man, everyone feared his threat.
Mr. Lane covered his nose and eyes and screamed, “Stop! Don’t come near!”
After Dexter had enough of beating him, he picked up the knife from the floor and asked Josie, “Which hand did he use to hurt you?”
Although Josie was somewhat rational, she could not help but tremble severely as she looked at Dexter in this state. “Right… Right hand.”
Dexter forcefully restrained Mr. Lane’s right hand on the floor before bringing the knife down resolutely. ‘Crack!‘ Warm blood splattered on Justin’s face. He rolled his eyes and fainted on the spot.

Mr. Lane’s scream of pain could be heard throughout the building.
Dexter not only attacked fast but was quick to clean up his tracks. He took some tissues to wipe his fingers clean. Then, he bent down to carry Josie, stepped over the unconscious Mr. Lane, and left the private lounge.
Calvin had been listening outside for some time. He saw Dexter leaving the room and complained anxiously, “You have gotten too far. Have you any idea how much trouble you caused!”
Dexter’s face darkened threateningly. “Step aside.”
Calvin followed them and said, “I’ve dealt with this level and the underground car park. You can drive my car later, and this is the key. I will deal with the top floor.”
After saying that, he caught a glimpse of Josie’s face and was stunned. Wow, no wonder Dexter acted so
recklessly.
Josie was in so much pain that her consciousness was blurring. The last thing she remembered was grabbing Dexter’s arm and saying, “Jus… Justin.”
“Calvin will deal with him,” Dexter replied coldly.
Dexter moved fast and carried Josie to the car. He helped her put on the seatbelt and started the engine. Calvin knocked on the car window and asked, “Do you want me to delete the surveillance footage?”
“No, he won’t dare to do anything.” Dexter was sure Mr. Lane would not dare to call the police.
He brought Josie to a private hospital. The doctor was shocked to see them. “This… This…”
Dexter responded in an even but firm tone that no one dared to disobey, “I have only one requirement. Nothing can happen to her face!”
Josie lay in bed as the doctor pushed her toward the emergency room. She tried her best to open her eyes but the remaining tears made everything in her sight glimmer like crystals.
She saw Dexter covered in blood and the collar of his shirt unbuttoned. He looked sexy even in such a disheveled state. He noticed her looking at him and met her gaze. His eyes flashed with paranoia.
The wound was shallow, so the doctor soon finished bandaging it. Then, he ensured she had no other injuries before pushing her out of the emergency room.

Chapter 93 Her Face is Valuable

Dexter washed up and sat in a chair by the bed. He rested his elbows on his legs and hunched while thinking about something. At the same time, his face was shrouded with a shadow, making his expression

unclear.

Josie was still asleep from the effects of anesthesia. Her lips were pale, and her face covered with bandages. She looked defenseless.

He looked at her for a long time until his phone rang in his pants pocket. He let it ring for some time before heading to the balcony to answer it

Josie slept through the night. The effects of the anesthesia finally wore off the following day. She opened her eyes and found Julie looking at her worriedly.

“Mrs. Russell, you’re finally awake. I’ve prepared some beetroot soup. It’s good for recovering from blood loss. You should eat it while it is still warm” Julie was glad Josie woke up and brought her a warm bowl of

soup

Josie shook her head. “Wasn’t I in the hospital?” Why am I in Mason Garden?

“Mr. Russell brought you home this morning.”

Josie touched her face and felt the bandages. “Where is he?”

“Mr. Russell is in the study with a guest.”

Josie’s mind was still foggy. She got off the bed and looked at herself in the mirror. The bandages covered half of her face and looked ugly on her. She remembered Mr. Lane left a long wound on her face.

“Mrs. Russell, don’t worry. The doctor said your wound is not too deep and will heal soon. It won’t leave a

scar.”

“But my skin scars easily,” Josie said sadly. I bruise easily whenever I bump into anything. It would take nearly half a month to heal. This wound will take even longer.

Moreover, no man will want me if my face is disfigured.

Josie slumped to the floor in despair. It’s all Justin’s fault. I got myself disfigured to save his useless a*s! I wouldn’t have helped him if I knew this would happen!

Josie felt agitated as she thought about Justin. No, I must look for Dexter.

“Mrs. Russell!” Julie was shocked to see Josie runoff in bare feet.

The study’s door was not closed properly. Josie pressed herself against the wall and heard the voices. inside. She could listen to Calvin speaking.

“Martin Lane is furious to discover that you caused his younger brother’s hand to be disabled. He said he would rather give Landon to Arnold than collaborate with Russell Group. There are spirited discussions about this in the business circle,”

Calvin sat on the couch and crossed his legs. He had an unbothered tone as if he was a mere spectator to the ruckus.

“Dex, you were too reckless. Alex Lane has been a money lender for many years and is backed by powerful

people. How could you hurt him like that, especially during such a crucial point of the acquisition process? It’s a heavy price to pay.”

Dexter held his phone and scrolled the screen casually. He seemed calm and uninterested.

“If Martin is as powerful as he claimed, I wouldn’t have been able to beat up his useless brother so easily.”

Calvin asked curiously, “Why? Is Josie’s face that valuable? Is it worth giving up Landon for?”

“It’s worthless. Moreover, Landon will eventually be mine. It’s only a detour,” Dexter put and sounded confident. It seemed that what happened last night did not affect him.

Calvin snorted and asked, “What should I do about Justin?”

down his phone

“Let him stay at your place and put him to work so that he can slowly pay off the debt. Inform Alex about this and say this is my compensation to him.” Dexter smirked sinisterly, sending chills down one’s spine. ‘Then, he continued, “Tell him I’m sorry for hitting him too hard.”

His tone was devoid of any remorse. Instead, it sounded like he regretted not hitting Alex harder.

Josie was too engrossed in eavesdropping to move away. Suddenly, Dexter glanced at the door and asked “Have you listened enough?”

Josie shuddered. She gripped the doorknob and accidentally fell into the room.

Chapter 94 How Are My Acting Skills?

“Mrs. Carroll sent me to inform you guys the food is ready.” Josie mumbled sheepishly.

She was obviously lying.

Calvin laughed in his usual, unruly manner. “Ms. Warren–1 mean–my dear sister–in–law, were you cavesdropping?”

Startled by his address, Josie instinctively looked at Dexter, who remained silent.

“Don’t look at him. Dex almost tore down my turf, for your sake. I would be a fool if I couldn’t tell your relationship.” Calvin explained. Then, he cupped her face. “Besides you, I bet no one in Wavery dares to provoke Alex Lane. You’re famous now!”

Josie smiled ruefully, causing her wound to reopen. She grimaced in pain and said, “Thanks to you leaving me in the lurch, I’m disfigured now.”

Calvin laughed at her sarcastic remark. “Please don’t blame me. I need to run my business. I’m kind enough to get Dex there.”

Josie rolled her eyes and paused briefly. “I’m entrusting my brother to you. We’re even.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll discipline him properly and return an obedient brother to you in a few years.”

Calvin patted Josie’s shoulder and waved to Dexter. “I’m leaving first, then.” He closed the door thoughtfully when he left.

Josie overlapped her toes subconsciously as nervousness crept in. “Your friend is slick with words. It’s better to cut ties with him sooner.”

Dexter didn’t move but stared at her. “Does it still hurt?”

Stunned, Josie shook her head. “I’m just worried that it’ll leave a scar.”

“Yet, you had the guts to go to Heaven on Earth. Dexter commented indifferently while taking out a cigarette.

for

Josie was fearful of Dexter. She mustered her courage and walked up to him. “Mr. Hallway threatened me with Justin’s life. I had no choice.”

Dexter didn’t light up the cigarette but fidgeted with it. “Why didn’t you call me?”

“How could I?” Josie blurted.

Dexter shot a glare at her, which caused her to flinch. She bit the bullet and explained, “I mean… You’re not. obligated to help me. I shouldn’t trouble you all the time.”

Dexter smirked as if he had heard a joke. “You’ve already troubled me quite a bit.”

“But I figured out that we’re from different worlds. We should only take what we need from each other, but interactions more than that are inappropriate.” Josie straightforwardly conveyed her thoughts after pondering upon them for a few days.

Dexter’s gaze fell on her bruised knees. His craving for nicotine had passed, so he kept the cigarette back

in the box.

“You’re still angry about what happened in the meeting. Dexter made a statement.

So, he knows. Josie remained silent briefly before mumbling. “Not exactly

“What is it, then?” Dexter’s tone was tinged with coaxing

He gestured for Josie to come close. “Come here.”

Josie couldn’t tell what was on Dexter’s mind. She trotted slowly toward him. Suddenly, Dexter grasped her wrist and pulled her close. The faint smell of cigarettes wafted into Josie’s nose.

Dexter turned on his laptop. The footage of her and Alex in the private room was on the screen. Her voice emerged from the laptop.

“Please let me serve you and make you happy tonight.”

“You’re my first guest tonight.”

“I’ll do whatever you want tonight…”

Josie wanted to flee when she heard the first sentence but to no avail because Dexter seized her.

She slumped onto the ground in despair. “I was driven to the corner and had no choice. How are my acting skills? Pretty good, right?”

Dexter wore a half smile under the dim light. “I didn’t know you could be this flirty.”

Chapter 95 Determined

Josie’s face reddened in anger and embarrassment. T… Of course, I can’t compare to your extensive experiences!”

“Who told you I have extensive experience?”

Josie was about to retort but was taken aback at the same time. It’s hard to believe he’s not a pleasure seeker. But to think of it, I’ve worked in the company for three years but have never heard of scandals about him and other women. At most, there were some baseless rumors about him and Ivy. Since we married, I’ve not seen him be close with other women.

While Josie was lost in her thoughts, Dexter looked down upon her from a close distance.

She lifted her face and was caught off guard by the close proximity. Before she could say anything. Dexter stroked her face gently.

“How capable of you. You nearly caused me to lose a business opportunity.”

“I…” Josie trembled as she couldn’t stand the increasing temperature from their physical contact. “I did know you were there too.”

In fact, it wasn’t his plan to head to Heaven on Earth. Yesterday, he was about to leave his office when he received a call from Ivy informing him that the senior executives of Landon planned to meet up int Heaven on Earth. So, he changed his schedule, not expecting to bump into Josie.

“Do you know how you would end up if I wasn’t there?”

Josie shivered under Dexter’s touch. “Will I die?”

“On this earth, there are means far more brutal than making you die.” Dexter growled threateningly when Josie’s bloody look last night resurfaced in his mind.

Only then did Jose realize how fortunate she was. She stood frozen momentarily, realizing how harrowing last night had been. It was her first time experiencing the closeness of death. At that moment, she understood that nothing was more important than her life.

At that thought, she held Dexter’s warm hand.

“I’m legally your wife now. You’ll protect me no matter what, won’t you?” Josie mumbled with watery eyes. looking pitiful. She was a good actor and knew that the best way to control a man was to gain his sympathy.

Dexter retracted his hand after staring briefly at Josie. “You may be excused from work before your injuries recover.”

Josie fluttered her eyelashes and asked cheekily, “Will you help me apply for leave?”

“Mm–hmm.”

“And under which identity?”

“What do you think?” Dexter didn’t intend to bother with her, so he took his phone and walked out of the

room.

Josie slumped onto the ground as darkness crept in. Caressing the gauze on her face, she was determined.

to cling to the powerful Dexter at all costs.

Perhaps, Josie could no longer separate her life from his ever since they were married. His world was complicated – getting rid of a notorious loan shark was a piece of cake for him. Josie would have died a terrible death if it weren’t for him.

When Dexter called Phil from the Human Resource Department to apply for leave on behalf of Josie, Phil was surprised. “You’re Ms. Warren’s husband?”

Dexter let out a cough and concealed his original voice. “Yeah. She just had surgery.”

“What surgery is that?”

“An appendectomy.”

Phil chuckled. “I see. Alright.”

Dexter wondered why Phil was amused by his answer.

Just then. Josie carefully passed a bottle of water to Dexter from behind after opening the like to have some water?”

He didn’t receive the bottle but looked at her bare feet. “Aren’t there slippers at our home?”

cap. “Would

Josie was used to walking barefoot at home. She had a complicated feeling when she heard Dexter mention ‘their home, but she smiled frivolously and uttered. “Why don’t you carry me to get a pair of slippers?”

“You might be able to seduce Alex Lane with that look, but not me.”

Chapter 96 Is He Your Husband?
Josie’s intention was so obvious that Dexter saw through her easily and shot a contemptuous glance at her.

Embarrassed, Josie hurriedly went to put on a pair of slippers and didn’t notice Dexter’s subtle, delightful expression.

The next few days, Josie stayed at home to rest and recover. When she went for a check–up in the hospital, the doctor said it was a superficial wound and would recover completely by applying ointment after the gauze was removed. As such, no scars would be left behind.
Josie was glad to hear that. While prescribing the medication, the doctor asked casually. “Miss, is the man who sent you here that day your husband?”
Josie was surprised. Dexter seldom made public appearances, so people outside the business circle. shouldn’t be able to recognize him. “Was it that obvious?” She asked tentatively.
“Of course! He was extremely frantic when he brought you in that day as if he wanted to get all the doctors in the hospital to treat you. I almost wanted to call the police when I saw your body covered with blood. It turned out you only suffered some superficial injuries.”
The doctor’s description sounded extravagant. Josie had never expected outsiders to have such an impression of Dexter.
“I’m so sorry for the trouble caused.” The truth was the blood was Alex’s, not hers.
She had not seen Dexter for a few days. The latter seemed to be busy and had been coming home late at night. After parking his car in the courtyard, Dexter lifted his head to see Josie sitting on the bedroom’s balcony.
When he entered the house, Josie came downstairs in her slippers and helped Dexter to hang his coat. “What would you like to have for dinner? I asked Mrs. Carroll to prepare several cuisines. There must be something to your preference.”
Dexter arched an eyebrow doubtfully, does that have to do with you since the food is prepared by
Mrs. Carroll?”
“I helped with seasoning!” Josie squealed.
Dexter wore a suspicious expression while Josie pushed him to the dining room. “I’m a patient, so I can’t cook yet. Please be more understanding. Try some, alright?”

Dexter was forced to sit in the main seat. He wasn’t particularly interested in the table full of delicious food because he had had dinner it was an appointment with Martin at Heaven on Earth, in the same private room.
While they were playing cards, Martin uttered with a fake smile. “Mr. Russell, it was ruthless of my brother to mess with your woman. I apologize on his behalf.”
Dexter’s expression remained indifferent. “I was too impulsive. Nonetheless, I wouldn’t have meddled with the matter if it wasn’t Russell Group’s employee.”
Looking shrewd, Martin shrugged. “I reckon she’s not just an employee. Rumors have been running wild lately, saying you were all worked up for that woman because she might be your future wife.”
Martin wasn’t fabricating lies. Calvin was right – Dexter’s action had attracted others‘ attention. Recently,
the circle had been buzzing with speculations about who the woman was. However, they could only find out that she was an employee of Russell Group and nothing else.
The fact that Dexter strictly suppressed the news was suspicious.
“Those are just rumors. I’m far from Arnold, who is popular among women. You should know that, Mr. Lane. Dexter filled his glass. “Please take this toast as an apology to your brother. Besides, I’ll send one million cash to his villa.”
With that, he chugged the wine.
Martin narrowed his eyes and refused to buy into the superficial apology. In contrast, he perceived that Dexter was provoking him – one million was a drop in the bucket for Dexter.
“Let’s not beat around the bush. Mr. Russell, as a final settlement for the matter, I hope you can increase the acquisition price of Landon. It shouldn’t be hard for you.” Martin lit up a cigarette and smoked it. “As ‘of now, your plan has not been made known to Arnold. Otherwise, when he returns from his business trip. and discovers the matter, the acquisition of Landon might turn into a cut–throat competition. I’m proposing this for your
good.”

Chapter 97 Would You Divorce Me?
“Correct me if I’m mistaken, Mr. Lane, but just a few days ago, you made it clear that you would rather hand over Landon to Arnold Cartier than give me a chance, Dexter chuckled softly, his face clouding over in the dim lighting.

Martin swallowed, narrowing his eyes. “Mr. Russell, let’s be honest here. I could easily use Alex’s injury assessment to take your employee to court. You won’t even have the time to contend with me anymore.”

Thinking of Josic, Dexter’s usually expressionless face changed slightly. He set down his cup and asked. “Mr. Lane, do you know where your brother took Justin Warren out from?”
“Who is Justin Warren?” Martin couldn’t even follow where Dexter’s question was leading him to.
“He is the person that started all these, Dexter reminded.
“Where?”
“My hotel, Mandarin Oriental. Dexter, the man always under control, revealed a sinister smile. “Your brother has been doing all the illegal deeds. He has blood stains all over his hands from all these years, not to mention usury. I could expose him with the proof of him engaging in violence and debt collection
alone.”
Martin hadn’t been handling things personally for years, so it wasn’t surprising that he was unaware of Dexter’s capability. He snorted, “Mr. Russell, don’t forget. I have connections.”
“Mr. Lane, there’s a reason why Mandarin Oriental has steadily stood its place in Wavery for so many years, Dexter spoke faster, exuding a compelling momentum that silenced people.
That night was destined to end in discord, and the conversation ended with his face completely darkened.
“Now I wonder if Mr. Lane’s people can save you from the charge of embezzling public funds.”
The waiter came in with tea, and Dexter stepped forward, walking past him and out of the private room. Ivy, who was waiting outside, immediately followed. “Mr. Russell, isn’t this too radical? We haven’t secured Landon yet. What if they managed to save Martin?”

“It won’t happen,” Dexter replied decisively.
Ivy was slightly stunned. She had followed this man for years and rarely saw him being irrational. However, she had already witnessed him losing control so many times in this project, and all of it was related to that woman.
“Make sure to clean up the mess at Mandarin Oriental, and don’t give anyone a handle,” Dexter reminded in a low voice.
“Got it. How about the situation with that employee? Should I go on behalf of the company to offer condolences?”
“No need, Dexter said, tilting his head and glancing at her.
Stunned, Ivy pursed her lips, a wave of jealousy thrummed through her.
“What has Arnold Carter been up to recently?”
“There was an incident in his project, and someone died. Public relations hadn’t been handled properly, so
he went to deal with it. He’s been stretched thin in Wavery recently.”
“Alright.”
Dexter snapped out of his recollection, and his gaze fell on Josie, who was half–leaning on the table. She had poured a bowl of corn rib soup and brought it to him.
“It’s sweet. Want to taste it?”
She smiled sweetly, not caring whether he had eaten or not.
Dexter took over the bowl. His eating manners were elegant, sipping it in tiny mouthfuls, and he quickly finished it. “Did you remove the bandages at the hospital today?”
“Well, there’s still a scar, and it’s really unsightly since it’s not healed properly,” Josie said.
“The wound is not deep. It will be fine in a few days,” Dexter reassured her, gently pinching her chin as he examined her scar under the bright light.
Josie felt uncomfortable with the physical contact; her body tensed, and her gaze fixed on him. “Dexter, would you divorce me if the scar on my face wouldn’t heal?”

Chapter 98 Rewards And Compensation

Josie was self–aware and knew he cared not because of who she was but who she resembled–the girl in the photograph.

Dexter let go of her chin. “I didn’t marry you solely for your appearance.”

His cryptic response had Josie chuckle as she mockingly acknowledged her audacity. She gestured towards the bowl. “Aren’t you going to eat the meat?”

“Are you that eager for me to eat it? Did you poison it?” Dexter nonchalantly unbuttoned his cuff.

If I could, I would have done it long ago.”

Dexter glanced at her and casually remarked, “You were quite daring at Heaven on Earth, pouring an entire pack of sleeping pills into the wine. That was a ruthless move.”

Josie’s lips parted in silence surprise. “How did you find out?” She had indeed drugged the wine, hence her eagerness to make Mr. Lane drink it, but she hadn’t anticipated the interruptions.

She was surprised that he had discovered her attempted scheme. It seemed that Calvin had more skills besides repairing computers.

Dexter remained silent in response.

“I had no other choice. It was the only option I could think of,” Josie explained carefully, not wanting to upset Dexter.

“It’s not bad to be daring when you’re my wife,” he suppressed his emotions and continued, just try not to attend such events in the future. You can’t handle it.”

Having only attended an extravagant event once in her twenty–plus years of living, which nearly cost her her life, Josie dared not venture into such a situation again.

Compared to the fury he had displayed that night, his emotions had dissipated. He appeared calmer than ever, but she missed his rage. Dexter seemed more human–like when he expressed his feelings openly.

“My injuries have already healed; it’s just the scar showing. Can’t I return to work?” Josie understood well that missing a day of work meant earning one less penny.

“No, the scar would attract too much attention, and people would draw connections, Dexter explained.

Unaware of Dexter’s reputation in the industry. Josie felt discontented. “Great. My credit was taken away, and my salary was cut in half. The bonus I received wouldn’t even cover the loss here. I really shouldn’t have run those errands for nothing”

Dexter lowered his gaze. Observing her fiddling with the chopsticks on the table, he suddenly asked, “Do you want some ice cream?”

Josie was taken aback by the question. “Huh?”

Dexter instructed Mrs. Carroll to get two ice cream boxes from the fridge.

Josie grew cautious, her eyebrows twitching as she inquired, “What are you doing? You said those were for

me.”

The two boxes of ice cream were placed on the table, and Dexter smiled lightly, I’m not taking them from you, it’s for you to eat.”

“…Didn’t you say it’s a reward for work, and I could only eat it when I made progress? But I haven’t made any progress.” Josie was confused.

“Well, it’s a reward,” Dexter said as he opened the lid and scooped a bite. He brought the spoonful of ice cream to her lips. “No matter what the others think, you were the one that secured the project with Kennon. The bonus is the biggest proof of your progress. So, how can you say you haven’t made any progress?”

Josie was surprised that he remembered those things. She took a bite of the ice cream hesitantly, the coldness of the ice cream aching her teeth. “I thought you were on their side since you didn’t say anything that day.”

She had been dwelling on his attitude on this matter until then. It was as if she needed his acknowledgment to believe she had succeeded.

Seeing that she had a grip on the spoon. Dexter let go of it.

“And what’s the reason for the other box of ice cream?” Josie licked the ice cream, moaning in satisfaction as she thought to herself that expensive food always tasted better.

“Compensation.” Dexter said indifferently, taking out a cigarette box. Pausing momentarily, he decided not to smoke and played with it in his hand. “Alex Lane is a well–known figure in Wavery. He can be intimidating for some, but you attended the event independently, showing bravery and strategy. It’s just a pity that your face got scratched. So, it’s compensation.”

Chapter 99 Tying His Tie
Josie bit her inner lip. For some reason, she detected a hint of sarcasm behind his words.

“Thank you so much. Mr. Russell.”

Dexter went upstairs with the box of cigarettes in hand.
As the man disappeared from view, Josie asked Julie to keep the second box of ice cream back in the freezer. She could not finish all of it immediately and planned to savor it the next time Dexter suffered
losses.
But the sweet taste made her forget all her displeasure. As expected, humans are not made to bear bitter things.
Now that she did not need to work, Josie slept in every day. Because of her injury, the maids did not dare. to wake her up, even if she slept into the afternoon.
She finished off too much ice cream and spent the entire night making trips to the toilet. Exhausted, she spent the rest of the day sleeping to make up for the loss of sleep. It was evening when she finally woke up. She stretched and headed downstairs to find Dexter on the sofa with black–framed glasses as he worked on his laptop.
She paused in the middle of her step and glanced at the time. “Is Mr. Russell back from work, or did he not go out today?” She whispered to a maid.
He was usually not home at this hour.
“Mr. Russell stayed home today.”
Thinking that she had depended on him, Josie felt guilty. She hesitated and decided to idle her room. Just as she turned around, the man called out. “Josie.”
She could not just leave and turned back sheepishly. “What is it?”
There was a frosty look on his face. “Wash up. You’re going out with me.”
away back in
She was unsure about it. “The scar on my face hasn’t healed yet. It will be embarrassing for you.
“That’s not a problem.” He shut the lid of the laptop and put it aside.
“Then, how should I dress?”

“As long as it is suitable for going out, that will do.”
She understood that he had no expectations. It seemed that they were not going somewhere particularly important.
She went upstairs and put on a plain dress she usually wore for grocery shopping. Without realizing it, the clothes in the closet had begun to pile up, and the room was no longer foreign as she had stayed there for a relatively long time.
Dexter had already changed into a suit when she stepped out. He picked out a tie, and the maid was about to tie it. Josie stepped forward. “I’ll do it.”
He gave a look, as it was unexpected of her.
She took the tie from the maid and tiptoed while circling it around his neck. She smiled. Is there anything wrong with a wife tying her husband’s tie on him?”
Het womanly scent wafted to him. He kept silent and let her do as she wanted.
Her deft hands brushed against his Adam’s apple, seemingly unintentionally. She watched as it moved up and back down. It was captivating. The last trace of timidity disappeared, and a yearning for him took place.
“Dexter, you’re stunning.”
He lowered his eyes and stared at the bowtie. “Did you put on perfume?”
“Yeah. It’s white tea. Does it smell nice?” Her greed took over.
She gave him a coy smile. As the light shone at her at that particular angle, she looked nothing like
Leanne.
“It’s nice, but don’t put any on next time.” He stepped back to create distance between them and headed to
the door.
She followed him, gasping for breath. “I’m not done with your tie yet. Wait!”
She did not expect him to move aside swiftly and grasped her thin wrist. He stepped closer and stared at her from above. Their breaths intermingled.
“What are you doing?”
She was caught off guard by the sudden change in the air and forced a smile. “I’m testing if I can seduce you, Mr. Russell.”

Chapter 100 Bringing Her to the Casino

When she saw Dexter’s slim and unapproachable figure standing there earlier, she had a random urge to see other expressions on his face. Anger, insanity, and lust. Any other emotions would do.

He quirked an eyebrow. “I told you, it doesn’t work on me.”

As he finished his sentence, Josie leaned forward. Their lips would touch if one of them spoke. She leaned back the tiniest bit. “What a shame.”

His gaze darkened, and the air around them turned cold. He released his grip on her hand. “You don’t need to go anymore.”

I’ve crossed the line. Josie immediately stopped. It had been too long since she went out. She could not let the opportunity go.

“I won’t do anything else.”

He kept silent and strode out. The driver, waiting next to the car, went to open the car door when they appeared. Josie followed behind Dexter hurriedly. After all, he did not insist on not letting her go.

At half past seven, the Porsche stopped at the entrance of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. Dexter threw a face mask at Josie. “Put that on.”

She was reluctant. “Why didn’t you just say so if you thought that I was hideous.”

He did not explain himself and stepped out of the car.

Dozens of luxury cars, evidently extravagant, were parked at the entrance. Guests were entering and exiting the place. A woman waiting in the lobby immediately moved forward when her benefactor arrived and accompanied him upstairs.

A middle–aged man was among the people in the lobby. He quickly walked toward Dexter when he spotted them. His gaze flitted to the woman wearing a face mask behind Dexter. “Mr. Russell, it has been à while.”

“How has business been?”

“Same old. All thanks to you, our revenue has not declined at all.” The man took a glass from an attendant and passed it to Dexter. “I assure you the mistake from the past few days won’t happen again. Alex Lee is a sly fox. I didn’t even realize that he had taken the person away.”

Josie stood quietly in the elevator behind them and analyzed what she had heard.

Alex mentioned Mandarin Oriental Hotel the other day. It turned out that it was Dexter’s territory, and Justin was caught at this place.

“Have you wrapped up all loose ends?” Dexter swirled the untouched glass of liquor.

“Don’t worry, I’ve handled it. We caught a few moles and dealt with them.”

“Has Mr. Yves been here recently?”

“Mr. Yves is a regular. He came last week and held a small gathering.” The man said with high spirits.

Dexter turned to Josie and gestured for her purse. He gave her a few things before they left.

“Were these people at Mr. Yves gathering? He pulled out a photograph of a group.

The man studied the photograph and nodded. “Yes. These people came for several of Mr. Yves gatherings Particularly, this one.” He pointed at a person.

Dexter hummed in reply as he had a rough idea of the situation.

Josie took back her purse, and the elevator stopped at a floor. The man said respectfully, “Mr. Russell, what do you have in mind tonight? I’ll ask the staff to prepare.”

They were on the top floor, which was vibrant and buzzing. Men moved about with women in their arms. Attendants walked in and out of rooms with casino chips and briefcases.

Mandarin Oriental Hotel housed the largest casino in the entire Wavery. It was built in a ring shape. There were sayings that one game night would cost at least ten million. Yet, it was nothing more than just another place that deluded people into thinking they could strike gold.

“Do you want to play?” Dexter suddenly turned to a dazed Josie and asked in a teasing tone.

“Are you kidding me? Where am I supposed to get money from?”

Chapter 101 Small Talk

She replied sarcastically. It was not a tone a subordinate would speak to an employer, prompting the person to look at Josie with astonishment.

“Get two boxes of tokens and send them over later, Dexter instructed the person before indicating to Josie to follow him.

He walked fast. Josie tugged the hem of his shirt and asked worriedly. “Are you going to play?”

Dexter found her fearful expression funny and answered gently, “Don’t worry. It’s all right here.”

A game had already begun in the private lounge when they arrived. A few people sat at a table with piles. of tokens before them, waiting for the dealer to give out cards. These people were either heirs of wealthy families or prominent people.

One of them astutely recognized Dexter despite the darkness. He immediately stood up and greeted, “Mr. Russell, I didn’t expect to see you today.”

Everyone turned to look at Dexter. Meanwhile, Dexter placed his hands behind him and smiled slightly. “Does your father know how much you gamble in this place?”

“Mr. Russell, I have missed your place since I went overseas. What’s wrong with playing a few rounds to Satisfy my craving?” The person looked young. Josie guessed he was an heir from a wealthy family and younger than Dexter.

Dexter patted the person’s shoulder. “You should come to my place for horse riding one of these days. Let’s see if you maintain your fitness level.

The person agreed before turning to Josie and joked. “Is she your new assistant? Why is she wearing a

mask?”

Dexter turned to Josie slightly to introduce them. “He’s Leo Ardon.”

Josie replied, “Nice to meet you, Mr. Ardon. I wear a mask due to my skin allergies. It’s embarrassing to show my face.”

was

She was unsure whether Leo believed her excuse, but he did not seem to mind. “Mr. Russell, do you want to join the game? You can have my seat.

Once he said that, the others at the table urged Dexter to join them. They all looked young and knew how influential Dexter was. No one dared to show disrespect.

Dexter accepted the offer and took Leo’s seat. “I’ll play a couple of rounds.”

That’s great!”

“Bring Mr. Russell a drink.

Thankfully, Josie memorized Dexter’s preferences after what had happened previously. She instructed the server, “Mr. Russell would like Earl Grey tea. Make sure to filter the tea leaves twice before serving.”

“It must have been hard studying overseas all these years, Dexter said to Leo while casually placing a card. on the table.

“Yes. My father refuses to let me return home. He said I must settle down overseas. However, I disagree

with him. I like Wavery much better.” Leo complained in frustration as he looked at the cards

“Mr. Ardon wants the best for you The person opposite Dexter played a King, so Dexter followed up with another card. He seems to be having health issues I didn’t see him at this years reonomic forum”

His health is okay, but he keeps saying he wants to retire. He must have been tired after leading the business for many years” Leo sounded proud of his father

“He should retire if he thinks it chest for him. Times are changing too fast. Moreover, your stepmother keeps getting into trouble

“That’s right. Two days ago, my father was furious that she had sought out someone alone and slapped her when she returned. It was so scary that I dared not make a sound” Leo seemed to trust Dester, or he thought telling Dexter this would not reveal much.

The server brought tea Joste took the tea from him and placed it by Dexter’s hand However, the room was too dark, so she accidentally bumped her hand against the cup and caused the hot tea to splatter on the back of her hand. It soon turned red

Dexter narrowed his eyes and said flatly. “Go deal with it.”

Josie apologized and retreated from the room. She ran to the washroom and washed her hand under cold

water

Meanwhile. Dexter finished two rounds of games in the private lounge and won each time. Leo enjoyed watching Dexter play and urged him to play a few more rounds. However, Dexter decided to stop and called the server over. “I will leave these two boxes of tokens for you to share. I hope you all have a good time tonight.”

Chapter 102 Ointment on Her Hands

He did not ask them to pay. The private lounge was filled with cheers of joy.

Dexter sipped his tea and turned to Leo. “You should listen to your father. Settle abroad as soon as you

can.”

Leo’s expression changed as he finally realized the meaning behind those words. He had questions to ask, but Dexter, who did not want to say much, had already left.

Josie washed her hands, but they were still stinging. I always get hurt when I’m with Dexter. What rotten luck!

She left the washroom to find him in the corridor, leaning against the railing while making a call. “It’s confirmed. The one above Martin Lane is a person called Ardon.”

He replied with a hum after a moment of pause, and his eyes fell on Josie. She had complied all this time and kept the mask on. He waved to her.

She went up to him and heard vaguely the voice on the other end of the call saying, “You can look forward to the news, latest by November.”

“October. I cannot wait.” He pinched her hand. The redness that would not leave bothered him.

The person on the other end replied hesitantly, “I’ll try my best.”

The call ended. Dexter kept his phone as an attendant went up to them. “Here’s the thing you requested, Mr. Russell.”

It was a tube of ointment for burns. He took it and opened the cap. “Does it hurt a lot?”

Josie suddenly felt that her hand was unimportant. She asked curiously, “Were you testing Mr. Ardon? And you got some useful information out of it.”

“How did you know?”

“It seemed you were concerned for him, but you were just fishing for information. He’s a fool for revealing everything. It looks like he thinks of you as his biological brother.” Her injury felt soothed as he spread the ointment over her hands. “He never would have expected this brother‘ to hurt him.”

Dexter raised an eyebrow and gave her a look. “You’re painting me black.”

“And you’re not?” Josie gave him an incredulous look. She could not label the cunning man as a reasonable person in any way.

Back then, she only knew him as the CEO of Russell Group. She did not know that he was a close friend of Heaven on Earth’s head or that he was Mandarin Oriental Hotel’s actual boss. It was child’s play if he wanted to make a person disappear.

Fear budded in her heart.

The redness finally reduced as the ointment was spread evenly on her hands. He put the unfinished tube into her purse and headed to the elevator.

“The world is not as simple as you think. If I don’t make a move, others will.”

Josie widened her steps to follow him. She did not pursue the matter anymore. “Is this place similar to Mr.

Barrett

Theres a world of difference between the two His is underground while mine is legal”

With current politics opening a legal castro in Wavery was not umpir. Dexter had not onis done it but also developed it into a tourist destination When travelers from other countries ame to Wavery they always stopped by the casino for a game or two

But because it was a legal establishment, under–the–counter dealings were much easier

Perhaps because Dexter was always by her side Joue did not feel afraid but instead found it fun. It was the opposite when she was in Heaven on Earth

They stepped out of the hotel Josse pulled her mask down for some fresh air. But before she could speak. Dexter said in a low voice. Put it back on

Baffled, she raised her head to see a black Cayenne stopping before them as its window rolled down.

Chapter 103 She's Gorgeous, but Are You?
The streetlight shone into the car, illuminating the sinister look of the man – it was Arnold.

Propping his elbow on the car window, he examined the woman behind Dexter and teased, “What a coincidence to meet you again, Miss.”

Josie was caught off guard being recognized by Arnold and felt her scalp tingling as he stared at her. “We meet again, Mr. Carter.”
Placing his hands at the back, Dexter looked down upon Arnold and uttered, “I should be honored that you came to Mandarin Oriental the moment you returned to Wavery.”
Arnold chuckled with a hint of anger. “The news of you getting all worked up for a woman has spread in the circle. Of course, I have to come and support your business.
Josie carefully observed the two men’s expressions. She thought Dexter had handled the matter but didn’t expect it to have spread. At the same time, she was worried about becoming the target of public attention.
Dexter’s expression was indiscernible, but he seemed unaffected by Arnold’s remark. “I didn’t expect you to believe the rumors.”
“I didn’t believe it, but seeing this lady standing behind you just happened to catch my eye.” Arnold smiled and asked Josie, “Are you here today to report to Dexter also?”
Josie gazed at him. I’m here with Mr. Russell to attend to some work matters.”

Arnold appeared to be a playboy, seemingly unpretentious, but people like him were more dangerous because one couldn’t tell their evil intentions.
“Miss Warren, have you read War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy?”
Josie didn’t understand why Arnold asked the sudden question. “I’ve not read it, but I have a rough idea of the plot.”
“But are you familiar with the romance between Prince Andrei and Natasha?”
Josie stole a glance at Dexter’s expression while contemplating how to answer Arnold. “Only the gist of it.
“Despite his father’s objection and his poor health, Prince Andrei still proposed to Natasha, only to be betrayed later on. In my opinion, it shows how deeply in love he is. You’re lucky to be Natasha, Miss Warren.” Arnold commented with a mysterious smile.
After saying that, Arnold leaned against his seat and raised his car window. Then, he sped away, leaving a wisp of smoke from the car exhaust.
Josie asked Dexter anxiously, “Did I say something wrong?”
She could only see his jaws but couldn’t see his expression clearly due to the backlight. Nonetheless, she perceived a tinge of contempt.
“Ignore him. He’s been stress recently working on a project and came here to vent his anger.” Dexter walked toward the car park.
Josie didn’t understand Dexter. She felt something was off and quickly caught up with him. “Do many know that it was you who saved me in Heaven on Earth?”

Chapter 104 Jenny Turner's Outburst
The play of streetlights created captivating shadows and light, infusing the interior of the car with an enchanting atmosphere.

Meanwhile, Josie leaned in to study the man resting with his eyes closed.

Man, what a waste. With his striking looks, he would undoubtedly stand out amidst the sea of heartthrobs in showbiz!
“Speak up if you’ve got any questions.” Dexter was fully aware of his surroundings despite eyes closed.
Caught red–handed, Josie blushed with embarrassment.
After a brief pause, she cautiously inquired, “So, I kind of overheard you talking to the staff today. You said Mr. Lane kidnapped Justin from the Mandarin Oriental Hotel that day. Hmm… are you aware that he’s been lurking in your turf all along…?”
No wonder Justin hadn’t shown up for the past few days. It turned out he had already been kidnapped by Mr. Lane. But Dexter hadn’t mentioned a single word and continued to give her rides to work as usual. It was definitely odd.
A trace of unease flickered across Dexter’s face when Josie posed her blunt question. Still, with eyes closed, he said, “No, I don’t.”
Josie nodded to herself but recalled his conversation with the staff. There was a contradiction in his words.
Something about it didn’t sit right with Josie.
Josie’s stealthily pondered on the causality. Upon glancing at Dexter once more, she noticed that his initially tense expression had transformed into a smile.
Well, if he insisted he didn’t know, she would take his word for it.
The following day, Dexter left Mason Garden in the early hours. When Josie awoke and found him gone, she freshened up and set off to the beauty salon. Intending to return to work as quickly as possible. Josie spared no expense to ensure she was fully prepared.
Inside the beauty salon, one of the staff approached Josic, inquiring if she had made an appointment. Josie promptly revealed the QR code on her phone, leading to an immediate smile and a warm reception.
They walked through a corridor adorned with elegant aesthetics, passing a female cleaner who instinctively lifted her gaze to welcome the approaching guest. Suddenly, the cleaner exclaimed, “Josie?!”
Startled, Josie stood frozen, locking eyes with the middle–aged woman before her.

It was Jenny! Clutching a broom, she glared fiercely at Josie as if she wanted to devour her alive.
Acting instinctually, Josie stepped back, finding shelter behind the staff, and asked, “What do you want?” “You told me you were broke, but here you are, pampering yourself with luxury beauty treatments! You’re a liar!” Jenny hurled the broom on the floor, rolled her sleeves, and crossed her arms as her anger erupted. The staff, puzzled by the situation, asked, “Ms. Warren, do you happen to know our cleaning lady…?”
Stunned, Josie vigorously shook her head and urged the staff to keep walking. “No, no… I don’t know her. Let’s go.”
“Don’t you dare walk away!” Jenny rushed forward, gripping Josie’s arm tightly, and scolded. “You need to explain everything today! Did you have a hand in Justin going there? You’re despicable! How could you send my son there and let him be kidnapped?! The Warrens are doomed!”
Justin had confided in his mother about his plan to work in Heaven on Earth to repay his debt. Jenny was shocked when Justin revealed that he would be bound there for five or even ten years to settle his debts.
He had also told his mother that it was all Josie’s doing, along with her wealthy husband, Dexter Russell. the CEO of the Russell Group.
It turned out that Josie had money this whole time but didn’t lift a finger to help her own family! She just sat back and watched the Warrens go through all the hardships of poverty without lending a helping hand!
Josie’s frustration boiled over as she exclaimed. “Bullshit! Your son would’ve been beaten to death if it weren’t for me! Look at this! This scar! It’s all thanks to your son!” She yanked down her mask, revealing a
Jenny was taken aback, but she refused to release her grip on Josie and shouted at the top of her lungs. “I don’t care! Bring my son back, or I’ll expose your relationship with the Russell Group…
Feeling flustered, Josie swiftly covered Jenny’s mouth with her hand, clenching her teeth, and commanded in a hushed tone. “Shut up!

Chapter 105 Do You Want Him Alive or Dead
I can’t believe even Jenny knows! Justin’s going to end up in h*ll!

Jenny wouldn’t back out. She bit Josie’s hand forcefully as she struggled on the floor.

“Someone help me! She is targeting the person who cared for her for over ten years. What an ungrateful brat! Hurry up and look at how she mistreats me!”
Jenny intentionally fell to the ground and shouted at the top of her lungs.
Josie felt her hair stand as the hypocritical act unfolded before her eyes. “Get up right now! Aren’t you
embarrassed?”
Jenny continued to cry her eyes out while hitting her thighs. She wasn’t willing to move an inch from her .spot.
People started to come out of their private rooms when they heard the commotion. They were all upper- class and wealthy ladies who were snickering at the scene. One of them complained to the staff, “What is happening? Why is it so noisy? Do you just let anyone in?”
The staff was put in a difficult position and stuttered, “Ms. Warren, this..
Josie felt her face flush under the mask. She inhaled deeply, knelt before Jenny, and softly warned her. “Do you want your son to live?”
In a split second, Jenny paused in the middle of her tantrum. Her eyes widened as her hands reached out to grab Josie. “What do you mean? What are you planning to do to my son?”
“Why don’t you continue throwing a fit, and we’ll see what happens?” Josie’s voice was soft, but her tone was assertive and unwavering. Jenny’s eyes trembled in fright, and she scrambled to her feet.
“Let’s talk elsewhere,” Josie ordered her.
As they walked away, the ladies in the beauty salon rolled their eyes in contempt amid receiving their facial treatment. “What a lack of class.”
“Mrs. Ardon, I vaguely heard them mentioning Russell Group. It’s the corporation under the Russell Family
The lady, addressed as Mrs. Ardon, was calm and composed. She shrugged it off by saying, “It doesn’t matter. How would those two have anything against the Russell Group?”

“That’s true.”
At the same time, a confrontation ensued on the other end of the corner.
“I only have one thing to say. Get my son out of there. He has to get married!” Jenny’s face turned red, and her veins were about to pop out of her neck.
Josie smirked at her and scornfully replied, “Who is he getting married to? Nicole Hart? She left Wavery so she wouldn’t need to get married to your son!”
Jenny seemed unaware of this fact. Her eyes were blazing red as she yelled coldly. “You’re talking nonsense! She has no reason to leave! You must’ve told Nicole about Justin!”
Josie held onto her wrist. As she tightened her grip, Jenny winched in pain.
“You’re right. I’m the one who told Nicole! Anyone in their right mind wouldn’t want to marry Justin! Don’t you think you should thank me instead? If it weren’t for me, Justin wouldn’t have the chance to repay his debts and would’ve already been beaten to death.”
“You! You!” Her hands started to shiver as she pointed her finger at Josic. I’ll find your wealthy husband and tell him about your shameless attitude! I’ll make him get my son out of there!”
Josie pushed her hands away and warned her, “If you dare to go near him. I’ll let your son rot there for life! Try me!”
Jenny was utterly defeated. Her eyes glared at Josie with rage and hatred.
“Do you want your son alive or dead? It’s up to you.
“If I were you, I wouldn’t embarrass myself here by blurting out nonsense. Instead, I would treat my husband well and wait patiently at home for my son.”
Josie left immediately and went to the staff to lead her back to the room.
She was confident that Jenny didn’t have the guts to find Dexter, nor would she ever have the chance to meet him face to face. However, today’s incident at the beauty salon was risky, especially if someone with ill intentions heard their conversation.
As she mulled over that thought, she took a deep breath and pulled up her mask.

Chapter 106 Practice
Inside the vast office, the sun shone brightly through the large windows, slightly heating up the floor.

Ivy sat at the coffee table and poured a cup of tea. “Mr. Russell, Landon isn’t making any moves. I believe Martin Lane wouldn’t act recklessly as he is afraid of

you.”
“The situation is different now that Arnold Carter is back.”
Dexter held a cigarette between his fingers. He slightly sniffed the cigarette and showed no hint of concern or fear.
Ivy froze as she was pouring the tea. “Arnold Carter came back yesterday. Have you seen him?”
“Yes, in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel.”
Ivy looked down and felt a surge of uneasiness creeping up her whole body. Dexter hasn’t invited her to accompany him to any events recently. Moreover, she had no idea that he had gone to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel yesterday or with whom he was spending his time.
She poured a cup of Earl Grey tea and passed it to Dexter. His forehead creased upon tasting it. It wasn’t as good as the one he had last night.
Ivy noticed his expression and immediately asked, “What’s wrong?”
Dexter didn’t answer her question. Instead, he put down the cup and interjected with his own question. “How did Arnold settle the project in Rivodia?”
“He used cash to shut them up. Nothing can’t be solved in this era with a load of money.”
“What about the public uproar?”
“He diverted their attention by revealing another buzz–worthy news through the media.”
“How’s the progress of the land in Silmark?” He lit up the cigarette and took a puff
“Everything’s in order. It’ll be in Russell Group’s hands after the bidding process.”
Ivy answered his questions diligently. Her gaze rested on the cup of tea he had only taken a sip of
Dexter nodded and didn’t ask any more questions.
Ivy observed his expression before speaking again. “Mr. Russell, the cost to acquire Silmark is quite high. If Landon participates in the bidding, Russell Group’s capital will be strained.”

“Don’t worry. We’ll use it for practice.
Ivy couldn’t wrap her head around what he meant. Why would he take over Silmark for practice? It’s a large property with schools surrounding it.
Dexter had only finished half his cigarette before stubbing it in the ashtray. He got up and took his coat. “Chris is on leave today. I’ll need you to take me there.
Ivy let go of all her suspicions and followed him delightfully.
Dexter rarely drove on his own as he needed some quiet time to sort out his thoughts. An accident would
be waiting for him, with his thoughts being constantly preoccupied. He only drove a few times, and it was all because of Josic,
Dexter suited up and walked with long strides in the quiet parking lot. Ivy followed behind in high heels, almost scampering to keep up with his pace.
She pressed the car key to unlock the car doors.
Suddenly, a large shadow appeared behind their car, and they walked directly to Dexter. He furrowed his brows and stepped backward.
It was a middle–aged woman with wrinkled skin. She put on a broad smile, fawning upon him, as she asked. “Are you Mr. Russell?”
Ivy stepped in front of Dexter and told her off, “Who are you? How dare you act so rudely?”
She wore cheap clothing and wasn’t someone with class or wealth.
Jenny didn’t spare a glance at Ivy as she stared at the fine man behind her. He had an extravagant presence with an outstanding physical appearance.
“Mr. Russell, I’m Josie’s mother!”
Dexter froze as his forehead scowled into a tight knot.
His voice traveled from above Ivy’s head. “You should leave first.”
“Mr. Russell, she…”
“Do you need me to repeat my words?” Dexter lowered his tone.
Ivy had no choice but to back away and pass him the keys.
Jenny felt assured that her plan would work.

Chapter 107 Demand for a Gift

Dexter rubbed his temple and asked, “Why did you come to find me?”

Jenny looked at him solicitously. “I’m aware that you got married to our Josie. Don’t worry; I won’t let anyone else know about it.”

He raised his eyebrows and stared at her without saying a word.

He had an overbearing charisma that made Jenny feel small and jittery. She carefully continued, “Well, I deserve a gift as compensation for my daughter’s hand in marriage. I understand Mr. Russell is of a different class and background, but it’s common courtesy to treat your elderly with respect.”

Seeing how he stayed silent, Jenny grew bolder with her demands. “Now that your wife’s parents are aware, it’s not too late to offer your respects. What do you think, Mr. Russell?”

Dexter looked down as he slowly figured out what was happening. I am aware that the man in the hospital is considered Josie’s father, but I have no idea who you are,” he answered indifferently.

Jenny choked up before she ranted, “You’re unbelievable! I’ve also raised Josie for over ten years. How can you act so arrogant toward me? She must’ve criticized me behind my back, as she’s always beert ungrateful!”

Is that true?” Dexter interjected her. “If you’re Josie’s mother, you would’ve known that I’ve not only given her thirty thousand for her father’s medical fees but have also gathered the top medical professionals to cure her father.”

There was no hint of emotions on his face, but his words weighed her down and left her momentarily speechless.

Of course, I’m aware, but it’s a different matter. As the CEO of Russell Group, do you think you can take away my daughter with merely thirty thousand?”

“If you knew, you should be grateful for the thirty thousand that saved your husband. But, instead, you’re here making a scene to get more money from me.”

Dexter stroked the car keys and refuted her unreasonable claims in a composed voice.

Jenny couldn’t say anything. She took a deep breath and offered him an ultimatum. “What about this? Give me another seventy thousand, and you can have Josie. If you’re not willing to accept this offer. I’ll inform the media about your marriage!”

Despite her hasty character, she was quick–witted. She knew there must be a reason this marriage couldn’t be announced to the public.

Dexter narrowed his eyes and stared at her with contempt. Finally, he bit his lips and scoffed, “You sure have a strong appetite for money. Do you think your daughter is worth seventy thousand?”

Jenny widened her eyes. She was stunned to find out that her daughter was not as appealing to the man as she had thought.

“Why don’t you try and see the outcome of your actions? Here, I’ll paint a picture for you. Your son is being held forcefully in Winmont with an unreasonable boss who would take his life at any moment. What do you think? Do you want to try and see how it feels?”

Dexter casually opened his car door, leaned his hands on the roof, and sneered at her. “At your age. I

believe you won’t last long there.”

Jenny’s eyes were flared red. “… Josie said the same thing today. It turns out that both of you are the culprits!”

“It’s not a coincidence. I’m the person behind it,” he confidently admitted. Then, all of a sudden, his face stiffened, and he turned over to glare at her just as he was about to leave. “You met Josie?”

Jenny’s feet faltered, and she took a step back without answering.

“Where did you meet her?”

In the beauty salon. It looked like she went for a facial treatment.” Jenny felt anxious and caressed the hem of her shirt as she answered.

When her response was met with silence, she quickly explained further.

Chapter 108 Her Past

“You can’t blame me for doing this. My husband is lying on the hospital bed, and my son… my son is being tormented in the place you sent him to. I have no choice but to rely on Joste.”

She tried to gain his pity.

you

Dexter threw his keys into the car and didn’t seem to be in a rush anymore. “You mentioned raised Josie for more than ten years. Why don’t you share how you raised her during those years?”

Jenny was startled and struggled to utter a single word,

“When she was in high school, she insisted on going to the summer camp, so my husband had to work extra hours in odd jobs to cover the cost of her camp. Later, my husband used all his ten–year savings to send her to university. If it wasn’t for him, how would she become the person she is today!” Her eyes wandered in fear before she continued, “What’s the point of spending so much on her education when she ended up getting married without repaying her parents.”

Upon hearing what she said, the tiniest hint of emotion on his face had disappeared.

“What about after she went to university?”

Jenny wasn’t confident enough to persuade him anymore. Her voice became softer as she continued. “She worked part–time and didn’t come home often. When she did return home, her father would give her two to three hundred. He was secretive and wouldn’t provide anything for me and my son.”

It wasn’t difficult to work during college as there was ample time between classes. However, she would struggle to save money, as she had to keep up her grades while covering all her daily expenses.

She was forced to reduce her spending on food and clothing, which was why she became very frugal.

“Mr. Russell.”

Dexter regained his senses and glanced at the woman in front of him. “You have a good daughter, but unfortunately, she never had a good mother, he remarked with an icy tone, sending a chill down her spine.

Jenny continued to pester him, holding his car door open and refusing to let him go. “You see.”

“Fifteen thousand will be transferred to your bank tonight. If I see you appear in front of Josie again, you’ll face the consequences. I suggest you stay away from any trouble, even if it’s to keep your son alive. I’ve never given a second chance to anyone.”

Dexter closed the door forcefully as soon as he warned her. Jenny fell to the ground at the sudden pull. She wasn’t satisfied but didn’t dare to speak up again.

He wasn’t someone easy to deal with. His eyes were like cold, hard steel which glinted with a dangerous light.

When the door to the elevator opened in the car park, the people exiting were shocked at the sight of Ivy. “Ms. Miller, why are you here?”

Ivy emerged from the corner, her face a mask of dread. “It’s nothing”

She went into her car and leaned on the steering wheel. She felt her head was about to burst when she heard Dexter admit he was married to Josie. Her pulse throbbed through her veins as she recalled his

words.

How could this happen? He was clearly worried about that girl!

Ivy always thought that the people she was fighting with to win Dexter’s heart were the affluent upper- class ladies, gorgeous top celebrities, or intelligent and successful women in their company. But he married Josie, who was plain, ordinary, and had nothing to offer him!

She had seen Josie’s file. Josie was an unremarkable employee with average looks. Her family background was poor, and her mother and brother had unsavory characters. Dexter was entirely out of her league. Why did he marry her?

Ivy gripped tightly onto her steering wheel, and her eyes were red–rimmed. A bitter sense of pain coiled around her heart as she felt defeated by an ordinary girl.

As she walked away, the middle–aged woman’s silhouette grew smaller in the rearview mirror.

Jenny’s words spurred a whirlwind in his mind. He hit the gas as his mind started racing,

Dexter and Josie arrived at Mason Garden around the same time.

Her face felt smoother after her facial treatment. When she saw Dexter’s Porsche, she immediately walked over and knocked on the window. “Why did you come home so early?”

Chapter 109 Gifted a Golden Card

Josie took off her mask. Whenever she looked at someone, her eyes would light up with genuine interest He almost fell into her deep, fathomless eyes. He wasn’t hurrying to get down the car, so he winded down the windows. “Where did you go?”

Josie noticed he wasn’t in a good mood, so she answered thoughtfully, “I went out for a while. Why?”

“I asked where did you go. Dexter didn’t budge and kept his gaze fixed in her direction.

“I went to the beauty salon.

Josie finally answered Dexter honestly, but her fingers were pressed tightly into her palm, leaving marks. She didn’t dare reveal the truth at first as it didn’t suit the image she had in front of Dexter.

But since he persisted, he must have been aware of it already.

Dexter finally left the car and went into the villa. She followed closely behind.

“Dexter?”

How did he know?

The maid helped him to remove his coat. With a graceful lift of his head, he revealed his strong, elegant neck. “You went for a facial treatment?”

“Yes, I wanted to remove the scar and return to work as soon as possible,” Josie answered frantically. She was afraid he would misunderstand her.

Dexter stood by her side as he lifted her chin. The delicate peach fuzz was visible on her pale skin, making her youthful appearance stand out even more. She didn’t have lipstick on, but her lips were rosy. He narrowed his eyes and replied, “It does look better. Have you signed up for their membership?”

Josie was astounded by his response. She shook her head and answered, “No, it’s too expensive. I’m planning to go either once or twice only.”

“Which beauty salon did you go to? I’ll ask someone to help you get it done.”

Dexter released her chin gently, his fingers lingering for a moment before letting go completely.

Josie felt concerned as it would be too risky for him to do this openly. “I don’t think that’s a good idea.

He didn’t reply and had an inscrutable expression on his face. However, it seemed easier to converse with him today.

Josie confidently reached out to grab onto the hand that touched her face. She felt a sudden shiver in her spine from touching his cold hands. “Dexter, what if someone finds out you got the membership for me?”

His gaze rested on her hands. “It’s not a problem. We’ll have it under the staff’s name.”

Josie’s lips curved into a wide, genuine smile.

“I always have to rely on your staff. I guess I can’t blame Mr. Carter for calling me Natasha from War and Peace. Dexter, what if I truly act like a Natasha?” She batted her eyelids coyly, her eyes sparkling with a pure and alluring gaze.

Although he had been smoking, there wasn’t a hint of a scent on his body. She was curious to see what was beneath his perfect exterior.

Dexter peeled her fingers away as he uttered, “There won’t be such a day.”

Josie raised her hands above her head as if she was surrendering. “Really? If it was the old you, you would have immediately pushed my hands away and would have scolded me for being delusional. But you hesitated just now.”

The warmth of her hands still lingered.

Dexter took out a wet tissue and wiped his hands. “What about now?”

Josie’s body froze in place. She quickly averted her gaze, mortified by her foolish actions.

“Sorry, I won’t tease you anymore.”

Dexter went upstairs without saying anything to her..

Josie leaned against the door frame, her lips curving into a mischievous smile.

Would that day really not arrive? Although it looked like nothing had changed, based on her instincts, she knew that there was something different about him.

Dexter had one positive trait. He would never make empty promises.

The next day, when Josie woke up, she saw a membership card for the beauty salon beside her bed. Their maid informed her that she could enjoy free premium facial treatments for the next ten years.

Chapter 110 Coincidentally Saw Mrs Ardon

Josie picked up the gold–colored membership card and stared at it under the sunlight. It looked like real gold to her.

“Mr. Russell is surely a lavish spender.”

“Yes, he treats Mrs. Russell the best.

Josie smiled light–heartedly but didn’t take her words to heart. She placed the card down and patted her face. “I can’t believe I can enjoy such luxury in this life,”

The maid was taken aback by her behavior.

After she received the card, Josie visited the beauty salon a few more times. The staff treated her better when they saw the golden card. She even got a private room for her facial treatment and was served fruits and drinks.

Josie felt out of place in the exclusive salon, surrounded by more beautiful and elegant women. She felt like a small sparrow among phoenixes.

“Can I ask you something? Are the people in the VIP rooms all from a conglomerate background? Josie asked the esthetician softly. Since Dexter spent a significant amount of money for her to get treatment here, all the women here must’ve come from affluent backgrounds.

The esthetician patiently answered, “Yes, they are from affluent families. Most of them are married into a conglomerate family as well.”

When her assumptions were proven correct, Josie nodded. “Are they really fierce?”

The esthetician’s lips curved into a warm smile at her remark. “Most of them. do act politely.”

After her facial treatment, she went into the washroom before leaving.

Outside the washroom stall stood a few women dressed extravagantly. Their face clearly went under the knife before, as it was exceptionally refined and delicate.

“Mrs. Ardon, I heard Leo lost a few rounds at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. Did he get scolded?” One of the women asked.

“Hmph, that gambler! It would be hard for him to succeed in the future,” The lady addressed as Mrs. Ardon looked upset and wiped her face with a towel.

There’s still hope. After all, he’s the only son in the Ardon Family. He’ll eventually mature and take over the company.”

Josie overheard their conversation in the stall. The story sounded familiar.

The Ardon family? Leo Ardon? Isn’t he the young boy Dexter met at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel?

So the person outside was Mrs. Ardon? His stepmother?

“It would be faster for me to give birth to another before he finally matures, but my husband couldn’t take it anymore.”

The two women started laughing. Their giggles made Josie’s cheeks flush with redness.

“How do you feel? I’ll be direct. You’re his second wife. After he’s kicked the bucket, how much would he leave for you? Have you thought of a plan for yourself?”

Mrs. Ardon took a deep breath and replied, “Of course, I have a plan. I can’t only depend on the Ardon Family. If I can’t have anything, neither should they.”

She continued slyly, “I went to Landon a few days ago to meet with their executives and obtained some evidence.

“Bang”

Josie’s handphone fell on the ground, and their conversation stopped abruptly. She closed her eyes, feeling like a fool. She wished the ground would open up and swallow her..

After a short moment. Josie slowly opened the door of the stall and walked out calmly to wash her hands,

When she was about to leave the washroom, Mrs. Ardon called after her, “Stand there!“.

Josie halted her steps nervously. “Yes?”

“Turn around.”

Her face turned ashen pale, and a wave of anxiety washed over her. Before long, she summoned up a forceful smile and turned around. “Hello.”

Mrs. Ardon was young. She must’ve only been a few years older than Leo Ardon, but she was his stepmother.

Mrs. Ardon crossed her hands in front of her chest and sized her up. “Why do you look so familiar?”

The lady behind her looked at her from head to toe before she gasped in shock, “Isn’t this the girl who made a scene here a few days ago?”

How did she recognize her? Josie felt the edges of her face tense up. “You have a good memory. It’s me."

Chapter 111 Finding Dexter
“Why are you here? This washroom is only open to VIPs,” Mrs. Ardon asked in a condescending tone. She had a haughty demeanor, but her eyes were sharp and watchful.

“…It’s because I’m also a VIP member here,” Josie cleared her throat and answered without showing a hint

of weakness.
“You too?” Their faces twisted in disgust as they looked at each other in disbelief. “Show me your
card.”.
Their gazes were pressuring and unyielding. Josie knew she was outnumbered, so she had no choice but to take the card out of her bag.
Mrs. Ardon snatched the card away from her hands and compared it to the one she had before she concluded. “It’s not fake.”
“Did you get it yourself?
This question triggered a woman’s dignity, so Josie answered with conviction, “Of course not. It’s my husband who got it for me.”
Don’t tell me she’s going to ask who’s the husband?
“Who’s your husband?”
Josie was racking her head to figure out how to answer this question without raising suspicions. After a short silence, she said, “I’m sure you know we can’t carelessly reveal our spouse’s identity in this industry. I hope you understand I can’t answer your question.”
They were wary of her but accepted her explanation as that was true.
“Mrs. Ardon, she must be a mistress of a top executive,”
Mrs. Ardon tidied her hair and found no reason to be suspicious of her anymore. “I understand. You can
leave now.”
Josie left in haste without looking back. She was afraid of being pried on any further.
They must’ve been mistresses, seeing as they accepted such a vague explanation.
On her way back to Mason Garden, Mrs. Ardon’s words lingered in her mind.
Landon was the company Dexter planned to acquire. Was the evidence she mentioned related to this?
The sun was down. Josie quickly walked into Mason Garden and didn’t notice any cars parked inside. “Hasn’t Mr. Russell returned home?”
The maid noticed she was feeling anxious and immediately explained, “Mr. Russell called. He said he had a meeting tonight and wouldn’t come home.”

“Did he say where the meeting was held?”
“No, he didn’t.”
Josie inhaled deeply and anxiously circled the house. She hesitated for a while before making a call, but no one answered. She tried dialing the number again, but the phone immediately went to voicemail.
Is he busy now? Josie felt something wasn’t right and left the house with her handbag
“Sir, please take me to Heaven on Earth.”
Based on his past record, he would never conduct urgent business meetings in his personal space. Hence, there was only one other place Heaven on Earth.

The sky was painted with an orange hue as the sun disappeared below the horizon. The nightclub was buzzing as people streamed in.
Josie was stopped at the door again. They asked her who she was looking for.
Josie stood frozen at the doorway. She couldn’t say she was there to find Mr. Lane anymore. Tim here for Mr. Barrett! The manager here. She was quick on her feet, and she answered confidently.
The attendant maintained professionalism by asking for more details. “Do you have a reservation?”
“It’s urgent. You’ll be accountable for the consequences if you don’t let me in immediately.” Josie mustered up her courage and demanded with a firm voice.
The attendant was feeling hesitant, and exchanged glances with his colleague.
Soon after, one of the attendants walked into the nightclub and whispered to someone within the crowd.
She later saw Calvin’s eyes scanning the entrance. She waved her hands at him enthusiastically. It’s me!
His lips curled into a wide smile when he saw her. He quickly apologized to the executive he was talking to and strode out to the entrance. “Ms. Warren, why are you here?”
Josie looked behind him and asked, “Is Dexter here?”
Calvin hinted at her to join him inside. As the music and chatter in the nightclub were deafening, they found a quiet corner to continue their conversation.
“Why do you want to find Dex?”
Josie furrowed her brows. “You haven’t answered me.”
Calvin’s smile grew deeper as he observed her suspiciously. “Even if he’s here, I can’t let you enter as you wish.”

Chapter 112 Aren't You Married to Him?
Josie’s heart sank. She knew that Dexter wasn’t there.

She sighed and announced, “It’s alright. I’ll leave now.”

Calvin pulled her back by her back collar, asking, “Ms. Warren, don’t you know Dex’s schedule?”
“How would I know?” Josic answered. She was already feeling frustrated she couldn’t find Dexter, but he had to question her about it.
“Aren’t you married to him?” Calvin asked indifferently.
Josie looked unbothered by his question. But all of a sudden, her eyes widened in shock, “Dexter told you?”
“No, but your reaction tells me it’s true.”
Calvin’s lips curled into a mysterious smile, secretly content with his discovery.
Josie took a deep breath and lightly punched his chest in frustration. “You tricked me!”
How could he act like this? Not only is he unserious all the time, but he’s also even got such petty tricks up his sleeves.
He grinned at her reaction and moved his hands behind him. “I know everything that happens in Wavery. The woman who could make Dex lose his cool and risk his partnership must be someone very special to him. How can I not be attentive to my friend’s relationship?”
Josie felt like a helpless fish at the mercy of the man slicing and dicing her life.
“What relationship is there…” She spoke under her breath, still feeling exasperated by Calvin’s approach. “Is that not true?” Calvin moved closer. “So, why are you so concerned about Dex’s safety?”
Josie froze at the spot. She wanted to refute it, but the only words that left her mouth were, “That’s not the truth! I have no time to cater to your nonsense.”
“Follow me,” Calvin turned around.
They went into a private elevator and stopped on the third floor. Calvin brought her into a quiet private
room.
When he saw her distressed state, Calvin gently reassured her. “Don’t worry. The same thing wouldn’t happen twice, Stay here quietly and wait for someone to fetch you home.”

Without waiting for an answer, he closed the door and left.
She wanted to leave, but the memory of the cruel incident here rooted her to the spot. She shook the thought away and decided to stay, knowing it would be easy to get into an accident in this dangerous place.
Josie sat on the sofa, pondering her unpredictable actions. She was determined to enter this place, but now she wasn’t sure why.
Dexter’s meeting wasn’t held in Heaven on Earth but in the villa of one of Landon’s executives, Mr. York.
Ivy held onto his coat as she circled around the living room. Dexter had been inside for two hours.
Mrs. York poured a cup of tea for her. “Ms. Miller, don’t worry. It can take a long time when they are discussing a complicated matter.”
Ivy looked down; her gaze rested on Mrs. York’s wrist. She wore Cartier’s new bangle, which sparkled and gleamed in the light.
“Mr. York treats you really well”
Mrs. York raised her eyebrows and put on a warm smile. Is that so? Is it really obvious?”
Ivy chuckled softly and replied, “Most men leave their wives once they’re at the peak of their success. But Mr. York is still loyal. You must be someone he adores very much.”
“Ms. Miller must be joking. He only did something any man should do. There’s no need to praise him for such trivial matters. Mrs. York spoke in a calm and composed voice, her words a testament to her elegance. She looked at the study’s door and said. “Mr. Russell is also a good man. Does he have a ‘girlfriend?”
Ivy’s eyes jurned gloomy. “That is Mr. Russell’s personal matter. I’m not sure.”
Mr. York was sharp and went straight to the point. “You seem like a kind and gentle woman that any man would adore. Also, I can see the love and respect in your eyes when you look at him.”
But Derter couldn’t notice it.

Chapter 113 Get Down the Car

Ivy didn’t refute her observations. Instead, she forcefully laughed and said, “It all depends on Mr. Russell

Mrs. York wanted to continue speaking to her, but the study’s door opened, and Dexter walked out in a confident gait. He looked alluring as his shirt was slightly unbuttoned.

Ivy immediately stood up and passed him his coat. “Mr. Russell.

Dexter put on his coat and told Mrs. York, “Mr. York’s tea is cooled down. Please make him a fresh cup. I’ll come another day.”

Mrs. York smiled politely as she saw her guests off. Once they were gone, her smile faded, and her face took on a look of determination as she hurried into the study. “Harvey!”

It was getting colder as the night fell. The cold wind stung their faces as they walked outside.

Ivy followed Dexter into the car. “Mr. Russell, did Harvey agree?”

“He has to agree even if he doesn’t want to.” Dexter tapped his fingers on the handle. “Ten years ago, he trampled on the lives of many to get where he is today. Now, he has his eyes on Russell Group’s profit. He’s not qualified to go against me.”

Harvey was exhausted after the discussion. He looked at Dexter as if looking into the devil’s eyes, fearful of what he might do,

“That’s great! As long as Harvey York sells us his shares, we’ll have a greater chance of defeating Martin Lane and Arnold Carter.”

“Arnold wouldn’t just sit around and wait. He must be convincing the other shareholders.”

Dexter’s phone buzzed in his pocket. He pulled it out and saw Calvin’s name displayed on the screen. There were already a few missed calls from Calvin.

He looked towards Ivy, who had her head down. She felt apologetic as she explained, “It’s your personal call; I did not dare to pick it up.”

“What is it?” Dexter held his phone by his car.

He spoke into the phone for half a minute, his face growing grimmer with each passing second. “Stop the

car!”

The driver immediately stopped the car, and Ivy’s body leaned forward and knocked her head on the back

of the seat.

“Mr. Russell…”

“Get down the car, Dexter stated calmly as he kept his phone.

Ivy was taken aback by his reaction. Her words were on the tip of her tongue, but she hesitated. Soon after, she opened the car door and went out.

The car drove away, leaving Ivy alone in the dark. Her lone solitary figure walked miserably along the road; her tears welled up in her eyes as she struggled to keep them in.

His Porsche car drove through the darkness like a knife.

Calvin was waiting at the entrance when he saw Dexter leave the car, his face twisted with anger. He looked at his watch and said, “You only took ten minutes to get here. Is that necessary? She wouldn’t lose a finger while she’s here.”

Dexter’s eyes flashed with fury as he glared at Calvin. “Can’t you send her home?”

“How would I know where she stays?” Despite knowing the truth, Calvin jokingly asked, “Should I send her back to Mason Garden then?”

“Nonsense.” Dexter wasn’t in the mood to argue with him. “Where is she?”

“Third floor.”

Josie was bored, so she played a few rounds of her mobile game before her phone died. She then lay on the sofa to sleep.

‘Dexter opened the private room and saw the scene unfold before his eyes.

Her sleeping posture was prim and proper. She even covered her legs with a coat. Only half of her face was showing, and her eyelids were trembling.

His anger melted away at the sight of her delicate features.

Josie was woken up by the heat as her surroundings became warmer. She slowly opened her eyes and saw

a man sitting down beside her legs.

Dexter was smoking. He took a puff of his cigarette, and the smoke obscured his face. His expression was unreadable, and he didn’t say a word.

Josie rubbed her eyes, her mind still in a daze. Then, her eyes widened in surprise as she recognized the man before her.

“Dexter, you’re here?” she sat up quickly, wincing as she felt the pain in her neck.

Chapter 114 I Was Afraid You Would Be in Danger

He turned his head to look at her. The ember of the cigarette glowed softly, flickering in the dark room.

“Couldn’t you wait at home for me to come back?” He expressed his frustrations through his tone of voice.

Josie pondered her response, knowing he likely already knew most of what had happened earlier. She kept her head down and replied. “I know you’ve been stressed lately about acquiring Landon, so I came out in a hurry to tell you something important about the project.”

Josie suspected her accidental eavesdropping from earlier must be related to this project, so she tried her best to get to him as soon as possible.

Dexter snuffed his cigarette in the ashtray and blew the final puff of smoke in her face. She felt suffocated by the smoke and wanted to move away, but he held onto her neck and said under his breath, “What do you know?”

Josie’s face turned red. He held her so close that she could see the small mole he bore under his eyes. She held onto her breath, explained everything she knew, and said timidly. “Did I cause more trouble for you?”

That was not true. She’s been here all night without doing anything.

Dexter tightened his grip, and his eyes were awash with conflicting emotions. “You must think you’re very clever.”

She didn’t know he was already aware of Mrs. Ardon’s plans and the trouble she would face if her identity were revealed. But worst of all, she didn’t realize how dangerous it would be for her if she got caught by the Ardon Family.

Dexter was worried about the former, but comparatively, he was more concerned about how her negligence would affect the latter’s outcome.

His heart was pounding at the thought of something terrible happening to Josie.

Josie didn’t try to escape from his grasp. Instead, she apologized. Im sorry; I’ll be more careful next time.”

Her tender gaze and actions were all locked into Dexter’s eyes.

He looked down and asked, “Why did you come to find ine even though it’s so risky?”

Josie was at a loss for words. Her eyes were dull, and her shoulders slumped. “I was afraid you would be in danger. Her voice was trembling.

Dexter felt his heart skip a beat but tried to conceal his expression. “Why didn’t you call me?”

Josie felt dumbfounded when he made this comment. She even thought of taking out his phone from his pocket.

“I called you three times. You didn’t answer and even ended the call immediately

Her eyes watered, and her heart pounded as she explained.

Dexter’s brows furrowed as he didn’t notice any missed calls from her when he checked his phone.

He grabbed her hands, which were trembling. Then, holding her hands, he suddenly asked, “Josic, are you flirting with me right now?”

Josie was stunned. She pursed her lips and swore, “No, not this time.”

She sure is honest.

Dexter grinned at her reaction and raised his eyebrows. He finally released his grip from her neck and cradled her head in his hands.

The smell of the smoke was thick but wasn’t unpleasant, Josie was so close to him that she could feel his breath on her skin and her heart pounding in her chest.

It’s too close. They were too close.

*Dexter.

“Actually, you succeeded in winning my heart. Twice. Dexter caressed her lips with his large hands. His voice was a raspy whisper, making her knees feel weak.

Josie didn’t move an inch as she probed, “When?” –

“First time was when you knelt beside Mr. Lane and looked at me with your pitiful eyes.”

Dexter felt like he was losing his mind then. His rage boiled over as he glared at the filthy man. He wanted to tear him limb from limb, to make him suffer for what he had done.

Josie was startled at his confession. She had no intention of winning his heart, but he fell for her at her most devastating moment.

“What about the second time,” she asked carefully.

“Now.”

Chapter 115 Kiss
Josie’s eyes widened in shock as his words registered. She slowly backed away from him.

Dexter swiftly pulled her close to him again, pushing her hair behind her ears. His warm lips brushed against her cold earlobes.

“A woman can steal a man’s heart by playing the innocent yet alluring temptress. She may tremble in fear but hide it with a confident smile. A single tear or drop of blood is all it takes to make him lose his mind.”
His voice was still gravelly, but she could feel the warmth of his body as he leaned in close. Through a veil of smoke, she admired his rugged yet handsome features.
With his physical features, he could captivate any woman in the world.
Are you one of them too?”
“No. You’re the only person who can make me feel like I’m losing my mind.”
Josie took a deep breath. She had always thought that physical appearance was the most crucial thing in love, but Dexter made her realize that there was more to it than that. It was difficult not to fall for him.
Dexter let go of his hands, and the coat she had on her legs fell to the ground, revealing her pale skin to his gaze.
His eyebrows furrowed as his eyes widened in surprise.
Josie leaned in close and kissed him, her lips soft and warm against his. As they kissed, they felt a spark of electricity between them, and their hearts pounded in their chests.
He was taken aback by her bravery that he could barely move. Only the warmth of her lips against his reminded him that this was real.
Josie was lost in the kiss and didn’t know how long they had been kissing. She wanted to pull away and talk, but she felt his strong hand on her waist, pulling her closer. This time, it was Dexter who took control. His lips were on hers, demanding and insistent
The smell of smoke on his breath traveled into her mouth. The sound of their kiss shattered the silence of the room as their lips continued to meet.
Josie was overwhelmed by Dexter’s kiss. He was so strong and passionate; she almost forgot to breathe.

Dexter’s touch was like a fire, burning her skin and setting her heart ablaze. The moment his tongue touched hers, she felt a shiver run down her spine. Her heart was pounding so hard, she thought it might burst out of her chest.
She moaned against him, “Dexter… I…
After two minutes, Dexter finally pulled away. He rested his forehead on hers, their breaths coming quick gasps. He pulled her hair, lifting her head and locking his eyes with hers. “Who gave you such courage?”
Josie smirked, feeling contented as she whispered, “Mr. Russell, Dexter Russell, you finally caved in.
She trailed her fingers down his neck, feeling the hard ridge of his Adam’s apple against her soft skin.
She dedicated herself to achieving the outcome she desired.
“Do you know what you looked like just now?” Dexter stared at her eyes. “An alluring fox.”
Josie didn’t reply. Instead, she asked him, “Was that the third time?”
He kept quiet.
“I believe it wasn’t only an instant that I made you lose your mind.” Josie’s smile widened, and her soft hands slowly trailed to his waist. It made them seem like they had gone beyond a simple kiss.
Dexter grabbed her hands and pushed them away. “It’s a man’s natural instinct.”
Josie believed that he had already broken down his walls when he kissed her back. Her heart pounded faster as she revealed his vulnerable and authentic self, a different side from the perfect and untouchable man she assumed him to be.
Dexter’s lips were still glistening from their kiss, softening the hard lines of his face. She couldn’t look away. You broke Mr. Lane’s hand because you like me, and you rushed over here after your meeting because you care about my safety. Is that right?”
Dexter pulled away from her. “Josie, none of that is true.”
Josie’s once reserved and obedient demeanor was replaced by an air of confidence and coyness. It was as if this were her true colors.

Chapter 116 You're Over the Top
Dexter didn’t look away.

Josie leaned in closer, and her breath was touching his bare skin. “At least a little?”

She tried to conceal her true feelings as hard as she could. Despite her heart beating out of her chest, she purposely acted as if she hadn’t fallen for him.
Dexter didn’t move. Suddenly, the door opened. “Dex”
Calvin’s words slowly faded when his eyes caught onto their physical state. Later, the sounds of his hasty footsteps traveled from the hallway. “I didn’t see anything
Josie forced herself to keep her composure as she looked into Dexter’s icy cold stare. She felt a shiver run down her spine and slowly pulled away from him to wear her shoes.
Dexter walked out of the door. “What happened?”
Calvin’s face was filled with a mischievous grin. “I won’t bother the both of you while you’re having a good time. I’ll get the problem solved by myself.”
“Tell me.” Dexter was unbothered by his teasing. He took a cigarette from the box and placed it between his lips.
“An executive associated with the Ardon Family is here tonight. He brought a mistress and two other ladies
with him.”
Dexter narrowed his eyes. “Three ladies. He must be in good shape.”
Calvin had a wide grin plastered on his face as he held onto the handrail. He saw Josie standing behind him with her arms crossed.
The Ardon Family won’t be able to escape the blame this time. I sent the evidence to you. It’ll be helpful.”
Dexter took a puff of his cigarette. His mind was finally clear and composed. Thanks, I’ll treat you to dinner next time.
“Sure. Are you bringing your wife?”
Josie noticed Calvin staring at her. She politely smiled back at him and waved.
Dexter turned his head around and glanced at her. His words lingered at the tip of his tongue, but he swallowed back his words and warned Calvin. “If you know, then keep it to yourself. I’m only doing this for my grandpa.”

“You’re over the top if it’s only for your grandpa. Calvin quickly changed the topic when his face turned dark. “Don’t worry. My lips are sealed.”
Dexter didn’t say a word before snubbing the cigarette he had been smoking. He walked to Josie. “Let’s go home.”
Josie immediately followed behind him.
They didn’t exchange a single word throughout their journey back to Mason Garden
When they arrived, Josie deleted the voice recording of Mrs. Ardon. She was too hasty with her actions. Dexter knew the Ardon family like the back of his hand, It was true that she went overboard today and risked his plans.
After two days, Josie’s face was much better, and she returned to work at Russell Group.
Once she entered the design department, she was met with the gazes of the people inside, making her hair stand in surprise. She asked Alice, “Why is everyone acting this way?”
Alice sized her up and joked, “Ms. Warren, you took so many days off. Nobody from this department… no, actually, nobody from this whole office has ever taken such a long break. How did you do it?”
Josie felt guilty. She rubbed her nose and said, “It’s a medical leave. The company isn’t that strict.”
“Did you have to take half a month off to operate on your appendicitis?”
“You’ll know once you try it out.” Josie quickly changed the topic. “You haven’t told me why everyone is staring at me this way.”
Alice hugged the file and asked softly. “Do you know about Sylmark?
Josie contemplated briefly before answering. “Yes, the one in the south of the city, near the school district.”
“Russell Group acquired it. Alice was feeling thrilled,
Josie was surprised at the revelation. “I heard there were many companies after Sylmark, but Russell Group won the bidding?”
“Yes. They don’t have the resources we do. With our financial backing, acquiring that land will be a breeze.”

Chapter 117 She's the Main Designer
Everything can be solved with enough money. Josie chuckled at that thought.

“But you haven’t told me what this has to do with me?”

“With Sylmark in our hands, our design department will run the project now. Everyone is wondering whether the project will be passed to you or Claire.” Alice assumed, “You came back at such a critical time, so they must think you’re trying to fight against Claire,”
After all, if she wasn’t back, it would naturally be assigned to Claire.
But Josie wasn’t feeling optimistic about receiving the project. “Claire has participated in many big–scale projects and is much more experienced. With the number of awards she won, I believe the executives would be inclined to have her in charge. There’s no need to give me any false hope.
“Why do you say such a thing? You have never gotten any awards because you’ve never joined any competition. If you went, Claire wouldn’t be acting so arrogant. Also, you don’t have enough experience because Mr. Davidson and Samantha purposely passed the projects to other people. Based on your skills, 1 believe everyone in the office envies you.” Alice’s words tumbled out in a single breath, her voice rising in pitch as she felt the rage building in her chest.
Josie held onto her chin as she listened to her compliments. Her lips slowly curled up. She was telling the
Truth.
“You know me well, but my manager doesn’t.”
Alice pondered a while and said, “That’s not totally true. Doesn’t Mr. Russell pay a lot of attention to you? He has a good eye for talent. I believe he wouldn’t choose recklessly.”
Josie felt her hands trembling. How did Alice know?
“Mr. Russell?”
“Yes. Maybe you caught his attention due to the incident relating to Samantha. He asked me about your whereabouts when he passed by the last time.”
Josie wasn’t aware of this. “When did that happen?”
Alice tried to recall “Half a month ago? It was the day before you took your leave.”

Based on the timeline, it was the day Claire took credit for her work, and she left Russell Group feeling angered. It was also the day she went to find Justin.
Josie fell silent. She suddenly thought of the kiss they had shared last night, and her heart started racing.
Claire entered the office, her eyes narrowing as she caught sight of Josie.
Josie met her surly glare with a cool stare of her own.
“The designer for the Sylmark project has been decided,” Claire announced calmly.
Everyone’s chatter started to fill the room. “Who is it?”
“Ms. Wilcher, who did they decide on?”
The room was silent for a moment.
“The executives have asked Josie and me to form a team for the project,” Claire clenched her teeth and forced the words out. Josie will be the main designer: I’ll assist.”
Once she announced the result, everyone gasped in shock and looked at Josie in disbelief.
Josie’s forehead wrinkled in surprise, thinking she had misheard her.
Claire marched over to her and tossed the file on her desk. “Read through everything in a day. I don’t have
time to waste.
Her discontent and rage were like a raging river, threatening to sweep away anyone who That was the moment when Josie realized it was real.
got in her way.
She scanned the document quickly, her eyes darting across the page. It was thick and had all the ‘information related to Sylmark. She knew reading it all would take her a while.
“Which executive made this decision?”
Claire laughed derisively. “You could go find out for yourself. I’m sure you got this project through shady dealings. You can go to Sylmark on your own in the afternoon for the site research.”
She stormed out of the office and slammed the door shut behind her.
Josie didn’t bother to argue with her. Instead, she focused on the documents in front of her. After a while. she took out her phone and started to type a message to Dexter.
She had typed out a few words but deleted them and started again.
After typing another sentence, she deleted them again.
She had been wanting to text him all morning, but she couldn’t bring herself to do it.

Chapter 118 On–Site Survey

Claire wasn’t lying when she said she wouldn’t participate in the on–site survey.

Josie knocked on her office twice but didn’t get any response.

“Sylmark is quite far away from here. Why don’t I tag along?” Alice whispered.

“Don’t worry. You have work to do. I’ll handle it on my own.”

Josie put the files and a sketchbook in her bag and left Russell Group’s office immediately.

North of Wavery was where the capitalists and wealthy families resided, while the south was home to ordinary residents. It had a lively atmosphere, with goods sold at reasonable prices.

The Warren Family also lived here. Josie had spent thirteen years in this part of the city.

She took a deep breath of the air in the familiar city. Suddenly, she recalled that Jenny hadn’t bothered her lately, even after she boldly announced that she would find Dexter alone. Did she actually feel threatened. by her words?

many people lived here, there were houses everywhere. Sylmark was a thriving community with a strategic location. The town was home to several elementary, middle, and high schools. Once Russell. Group’s housing estate was up for sale, it would surely be sold out quickly.

The amount of money Dexter used to bid for this property was worth every penny.

The sun beat down on the workers working on the demolished building. Josie walked around the building. scanning its overall structure. She held a sketchbook to sketch the design of the building.

She later rested under a large tree, and the warm glow of the afternoon’s sun shone on her face. There was a grandmother and her granddaughter at a playground nearby. The little girl suddenly pointed toward her and repeated, “She’s drawing!”

Josie felt her heart melt at the little girl’s actions. She pulled a wrapped candy from her bag and offered it to the little girl with a warm smile. “I have a sweet for you.”

The grandmother encouraged her to receive the candy from Josie. “Remember to thank the kind lady.”

“Thank you.”

Her voice was tender and adorable, filling Josie’s heart with warmth.

“Miss, what are you drawing? Why are there so many lines?”

Im drawing for fun. Just practicing.” Josie replied.

The grandmother looked quite confused. “My eldest granddaughter also learns drawing. She’s very talented.

“Is she in university now?”

“She just got into university this year after she moved from the rural area to the city. Her parents contemplated for a long time whether to buy a place for her to stay in the school district. After struggling to cover the cost, it turned out that they had paid for an unfinished apartment. She had lived there for three years despite the undesirable condition.”

The grandmother sighed before continuing. “Now, even this unfinished building is getting demolished.”

Josie looked around her and saw many unfinished buildings. Every one of them reflected the struggles of the households.

It should be a joyful experience for a child to live in the school district as there are excellent schools, a safe environment, and plenty of extracurricular activities, but…

“I’m not sure what would happen to this building, but I hope history won’t repeat itself.”

Josie’s eyes were awash with conflicting emotions. “It won’t happen again.”

Suddenly, she noticed the little girl walking towards the road. “Madam! The little girl!”

The grandmother quickly turned around and shouted, “Oh no! Darling!”

But the little girl had already stepped onto the road. She was in a blind spot, and a car was approaching her at a high speed.

Josie dropped her sketchbook and ran toward the girl. She scooped her up and hugged her tightly, relief flooding through her.

The car behind her screeched to a halt. The driver was sweating profusely as he yelled at them. “Why did you let her run away by herself? How irresponsible!”

The little girl was crying in her arms. Josie couldn’t care less about the scratch in her arms as she hugged the little girl tightly and comforted her. “It’s okay. I’m here now,”

She turned to the driver and apologized. Later, Josie carried the little girl to the sidewalk to let the car

pass.

The car started to move slowly, Just as it was about to pass by her, the car came to a stop.

The windows of the back seat rolled down.

Chapter 119 An Encounter With Arnold Carter
The man seemed to have just been woken up from his sleep. His shirt was slightly unbuttoned, and he had a lazy, rebellious look as if he didn’t care about anything.

He slowly opened his eyes and greeted her, “Ms. Warren, I didn’t expect to meet you here.”

The driver’s nerves were on edge. It was an unlucky day for him. He had almost gotten into an accident, and to make matters worse, the person he almost hit was someone his boss knew.
Josie couldn’t believe her eyes when she saw the figure sitting in the backseat. It was Arnold Carter.
The grandmother rushed to her and thanked her for saving her grandchild. She kindly advised the grandmother to watch the little girl closely before she stepped closer to the car.
“Mr. Carter, why are you here?”
Arnold opened the door and suggested, “Should we have a talk?”
The corners of her face drew into a tight pinch as Josie quickly muttered that she had other appointments.
Her heart hammered in her chest, and she had a strong urge to run away. She wasn’t sure why, but she had always felt that Arnold had a dangerous air about him.
Moreover, he’s Dexter’s opponent!
After she quickly mulled over her thoughts, she decided to comply with his request.
“Mr. Carter, do you have a meeting here?” Josie started to question him as soon as she got in his car.
Arnold winded up the windows. His hands were holding a cup filled with wine. “It’s a personal matter. I came here to meet someone I knew.”
She couldn’t pry on the subject.
He left the cup in front of Josie, “I remember you’re good at drinking.”
Josie didn’t move an inch. “Mr. Carter, it’s still daytime, and I’m only here with you by coincidence. Can I reject this offer?”
Arnold smiled at her. “You could’ve reject the two glasses of alcohol the last time, but you still drank it.”
“That was because it was related to my work. This has nothing to do with work.”

“You sure know how to separate work and personal matters.” Arnold didn’t force her to drink. Instead, he raised a suspicion calmly. “But both work and personal matters are for Dexter, right?”
Since he mentioned Dexter, she couldn’t bring herself to answer him. Her sketchbook was sticking out of her bag and was noticed by Arnold. He pulled it out and started to flip through the pages.
She wanted to stop him but to no avail.
Arnold commented as he flipped through the pages, “I’ve never seen any woman beside him throughout these years. You’re the first one.”
Josie acted as if she didn’t understand his remark. “Isn’t Ms. Miller always beside him?”
“She has never made Dexter risk a partnership for her, Arnold paused and looked at her. “But you have”
Josie stiffened in position, and her toes curled in her shoe. “Dexter cares for his employees.”
Arnold sneered at her comment. He lifted her sketchbook and said, “Did you know that Russell Group was never this eager to acquire the land in Sylmark? It’s more likely for the Carter Group and other corporations to participate in this project, as it would help them to boost their popularity. However, the Russell Group would not benefit as much from this project, as they are already well–known to the public.”
Josie couldn’t understand what he was trying to convey. All she knew was that Russell had won another project Arnold had wanted. “What are you trying to say?”
“I couldn’t understand why Dexter would join the bidding before. But after seeing you here, I finally understand everything.”
Arnold tilted his head backward and looked her up and down, making her feel scared.
Josie straightened her back. She was intelligent, so she caught on immediately. After pausing for a moment, she started to chuckle. “Mr. Carter, I never knew I was so important. Dexter is nice, but he wouldn’t change the company’s operations for a mere employee.”
“A mere employee?”
Josie was startled by his sudden remark and felt uneasy with his prying stare.