Blind Date Turned Proposal by Mr. Adeel

Description of Novels
Author:
Mr Adeel
Title: Blind Date Turned Proposal Ra Genre: Romance
Language: English Read Online Pages: Ongoing

On the day of the blind date, the man turned out to be fat, short, and greasy! What could she do but run? Josie Warren was about to escape when the man at the next table stopped her. Why was this man so familiar? He… he was her immediate superior, Dexter Russell, a rich tycoon worth millions! What he said next surprised her immensely. “Josie, what about marrying me?” Marriage? Had Dexter been crushing on her for years? Did he set up this blind date to accidentally bump into her? Only highly skilled hunters would appear like prey. So why not! He had the looks and the money, after all. Josie acted on it instead of thinking about it. “Sure! Let’s get married! I will do as you wish and

Chapter 151 Suffering in Silence
Arnold asked her, “Why? Do you want to take a look?”

Josie opened her mouth. Actually, she wasn’t sure if she could bear to witness such a scene. Furthermore, she couldn’t show that she cared too much about Dexter, so she shook her head.

The room next door was still noisy. It seemed like someone wanted to take Leo away, but he was struggling loudly. Suddenly, there was a thump. It was the sound of someone kneeling on the floor.
Leo was crying. “Mr. Russell… This is my last time begging. Please save my dad and the Ardon family.”
Josie shut her eyes. She understood Leo’s feelings. He had his elders to protect him and lived an easy, luxurious, and extravagant life since he was young. He naturally felt that he was excellent. It must have been a big blow to his pride now that his life had fallen apart, and he was kneeling to beg Dexter.
Arnold held the teacup in his hands and smiled thoughtfully.
“Do you know that the Ardon and Russell families had villas close to each other in the past? Among all the children, Dexter liked Leo the most. Dexter always came first when studying or playing. Leo is the son of a rich man, and he never obeyed his dad. He only listened to Dexter.”
Arnold spoke eloquently. Josie could imagine it in her head. Back at Mandarin Oriental, Leo had admired Dexter a lot.
“It’s a shame that Leo is naïve and didn’t know that his gift was marked with a price from the start.” Arnold poured another cup of tea for himself. “Dexter will never treat someone nicely for no reason. Everything he did was a foreshadow. It can be said that it was for today.”
The Ardon family was influential in Wavery, and there weren’t many opportunities to attack them. Leo could be considered the only loophole. Dexter had seen this opportunity many years ago and took Leo under his wing. Dexter discarded his pawn decisively when it was the right time.

Every step Dexter took had been prepared long ago.
Josie felt a chill. In any case, not many people were capable of such thinking and scheming.
A voice finally came from the room next door. Dexter said indifferently, “I can’t interfere in judicial procedures. Go home.”

Leo fell down, paralyzed. His eyes were filled with despair.
At this time, Arnold rose and folded his arms before walking out slowly.
“I was wondering why it was so noisy. As it turns out, you’re here, Dexter.”
Dexter raised his eyes. “Arnold?”
Arnold leaned against the door nonchalantly. “Am I not welcomed?”
+15 Bonus
Arnold looked around. “Hey, isn’t this Leo? Why are you sitting on the floor? Stand up.”
Leo was numb. He couldn’t move at all.
Arnold crouched down conveniently and patted Leo’s shoulder. Arnold straightened Leo’s clothes and said casually, “What are you doing now? You’re a man who can’t control yourself when facing difficulties. You should learn from Mr. Russell. Back then, the Russell family was also in ruin, just like your family now. Look at how he pretended to be obedient and suffered in silence until today.”
The air was tense in the private room. Someone beside Dexter wanted to say something, but he raised his hand to stop them.
Arnold continued. “But of course, I’m not saying you’re like that. Dexter kept everyone in the dark while accumulating wealth and seizing power one step at a time. He sucked his victims dry and treated everyone as pawns. He was completely unscrupulous to take down everyone he hates.”
“Am I right, Dexter?”
Two sharp gazes met each other, each with their own motives.

Chapter 152 Calling Him Cruel
Dexter didn’t answer.

Leo sat on the floor and lost all his energy. No one knew how much he had heard.

Arnold stood up and signaled for people to take him away before saying, “Dexter’s forehead is bleeding. Why are you still staring blankly?”
After that, the staff in the private room came to their senses and started to bustle about and deal with it hurriedly.
Dexter raised his hand to stop them. He took out a paper towel and wiped his forehead. “It’s a minor injury. It’s not a big deal. Why are you here today?”
Arnold pulled a chair and sat down. He said honestly, “Martin is being investigated, so Landon is in unrest, and they can’t access their funds. I came to dig for information. Do you still insist on taking over this dump, Dexter?”
Dexter crumpled his blood-stained paper towel into a ball and threw it into the trash. He said half-jokingly, “Since you know that it’s a dump, you don’t want it either, right, Arnold?”
Arnold said, “The subsidiaries under Carter Group have gone through a second round of financing. We have more than one billion. We’re not inferior to Russell Group.”
“I know.” Dexter took a napkin to wipe his hand. “It’s good news to Carter Group, who has been through serious damages. One good move makes all the difference. Good job.”
Arnold said, “Dexter, Landon isn’t my only goal.”
Dexter laughed indifferently when he heard it. “I heard that you love the girls that Calvin has. here. Did you come here for them today?”
“As you know, I love good food and beautiful women.”
It was cold late at night, but the women at the bar’s entrance didn’t seem cold. Their skirts. and dresses were so short and only reached their thighs.
Josie stood at the door for a long time and shivered in the cold. Her heart also felt chilly.
Dexter came out with Calvin. The latter laughed and said, “I see you were wounded in action, Mrs. Russell. Claire was carried out, so I thought you had a complete victory.”

Josie froze, and she looked around subconsciously. “Don’t announce it out loud. I’m not
sponsibility if others hear it

Her outfit was thin, and she was standing at the air vents. Dexter wrinkled his brows. “Why
you wait in the car?”
didn’t
She didn’t know what to say. “… I just came out.”
Calvin went forward to size up her expression, and he quickly understood. “Dex was just held up at his social gathering. Are you upset?”
His tone sounded like he was coaxing a child. Josie was exasperated. “No.”
After leaving Heaven on Earth, the car had a tense atmosphere. Dexter replied to an email on his cell phone and asked, “How much did you hear?”
Josie was startled and looked up unconsciously to see his quiet expression. He knows about it? “Not much… I wanted to look for you and happened to hear it.”
“Where were you?”
“In the private room next door.”
Dexter typed quickly with his hands and silently acknowledged her.
Josie could no longer hold back. “Why? There are many ways to bring down the Ardon. family. Why did you have to use Leo? Wasn’t that too cruel?”
When Dexter heard the word ‘cruel,’ he stopped typing and lifted his head. He had an attractive lower jawline. “You think I’m cruel?”
-L
Josie didn’t dare to look him in the eye, but the feeling of injustice bubbled in her heart. “Aren’t you? Although he’s a cocky son from a wealthy family, you were like a brother to him. You were his role model. Anyone else could have made a move against them, and it wouldn’t have hurt as much as it did when it came from you. You personally sent him to his demise.”
“Do you have any emotions, Dexter? Or are you just pretending?”
Dexter turned off his cell phone and sneered. “You’re the first person to talk to me about feelings.”
Josie gulped. She was actually very nervous. “I’m not the first. Leo did it, too.”

Chapter 153 A-Port at Night
Intermilk

was thinking.

iswas y de to
decided to mate Lesson pown from the first reseta Bir Ses pon lopty ne
Joor used tier ips Borry, I sidst have metide”
Seddenly, a giant hand reached out and pinched her face. He looked in her eyes. His expression was hard to read, bon his gaze was sharp Who did you meet today?”
Josie telt pain because he touched her wound. She gasped but made no noise gritting her teeth to bear the pain. For some reason, she was unwilling to tell him the truth. “No one.”
The answer prompted Dexter to laugh and press her wound harder, causing it to bleed and stain his fingertips. Was it Arnold?”
Josie pursed her lips and refused to respond. She was angry with him.
What did you say?” He still refused to release his hand that was on her wound.
She remained silent even as the pain on her face intensified.
“I suspect he’s the one who put that thought in you, Dexter concluded. “You believed him because that’s what you think. You think I’m cold-blooded, heartless, and have no qualms using the people around me. Is that right?”
Josie’s face flushed from the pain. She almost could not breathe. However, she still refused to speak. After a while, Dexter finally showed mercy and let her go. She immediately covered her mouth and coughed loudly.
“Chris, send us to the port.
The car turned and set off to another location.
Josie collapsed in a corner and touched her face. It was cool.
Wavery was located by the sea and had a few ports for transporting cargo. This was a significant contributor to the city’s economic growth.
Dexter’s Porsche traveled into the port area. The place was surrounded by large containers, giving it an oppressive atmosphere. Moreover, the car looked out of place, shining its bright light on the ground.

Dexter was the first to exit the car. Josie could not figure out why he brought her here. She

followed him and felt the sea wind blowing at her coat. It was so cold that she was shivering.
Dexter put his hands in his pocket and stood in the wind, looking at the scene ahead.
Many workers were busy with a few large boats docked on the coast. Their backs were hunched over the weight of the goods, working hard for their livelihood.
Soon, a hunch-backed man got off one of the boats. His teeth were stained yellow from years. of smoking. He rushed over to Dexter and said, “Mr. Russell, what brings you here?”
“I was nearby, so I thought I should come here to look around. When will you finish unloading and loading the cargo?”
“Don’t worry. There won’t be any delay. My men are working overtime to meet your requirement.” The man smiled before looking at Josie curiously.
Chris offered the man a cigarette. “Doug, Mr. Russell is not urging you to hurry. He knows your task is not easy.”
“I understand, but if Russell Group hadn’t taken over this crumbling place, we would have lost our source of income. Everyone is thankful to you, Mr. Russell.” Doug answered gratefully.
They chatted briefly before Dexter dismissed him and let him return to work.
Suddenly, a worker accidentally lost his balance and bumped into Dexter while carrying goods.
“Mr. Russell!” Chris rushed forward.
Josie opened her mouth in shock and instinctively took several steps forward.
“Mr. Russell, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it…” The worker gathered the goods and apologized. He looked terrified.
Dexter brushed the dust off his clothes and did not seem angry. “It’s nothing. Don’t mind
me.”
The worker thanked him profusely before continuing to move the goods.

Chapter 154 He Was Disappointed
As the man walked away, Josie noticed something wrong with his legs. He was limping.

Dexter leaned slightly to her and explained, “Around fifty thousand people are working in a few ports in Wavery. These people are neither young nor old and have no qualifications. They had no choice but to work in such a dangerous job of transporting cargo to provide for their families. If they were even a little careless, it would lead to injuries.”

“It’s difficult, right?”
Josie furrowed her brow. “Yes.”
“What to do then? Should we get rid of them?” Dexter casually pulled out a cigarette case and placed a cigarette between his lips. “If fifty thousand people lose their jobs, it will affect fifty thousand families. How can anyone bear to do this?”
Dexter lit a cigarette as Jean listened to his words, puffing away at the cigarette.
“Yet, Westin Ardon has no qualms doing that. Wavery’s economy showed no growth but declined in the ten years he was in charge. He also meddled with the workings of a few corporations, including Landon. Moreover, he automated the cargo transportation work in ports to secure a profit for himself. However, the technology of these machines is still underdeveloped. These machines not only took away many people’s jobs but were unreliable. However, the minor delay in cargo transportation doesn’t cause significant backlash or criticism against him. Instead, the workers were the only ones who suffered.”
Josie gasped upon hearing Dexter. She frowned as she looked at the middle-aged men working hard at the port and felt sad for them.
She never knew there was such controversy.
Dexter tapped the ashes off his cigarette and turned around to face her.
“These ports would eventually go obsolete if Russell Group hadn’t gotten involved and helped them. There are many other matters. Do you want to hear them?” He looked into her. eyes and continued, “Don’t you think Westin deserves to die?”
Josie was too intimidated by his gaze to speak.
“You said there are many ways to bring down the Ardon family, but you have no idea how extensive his influence is. Any misstep will lead to my downfall. There’s very little leeway.”
Dexter came up behind her and hugged her, continuing softly, “All the money Leo uses was

his her
pity him? Unlock succeededer from corruption. With this in mind, do you still

Josie looked down. “I’m sorry…”
“I’m very disappointed in you. I know you have a kind heart, but I didn’t expect you to empathize with the Ardon family.”
Dexter let go
of her and took a final drag of the cigarette. He tossed it on the floor, stamped it out, and left.
After he left, Josie slowly squatted on the floor and covered her face in regret. I was wrong…
The cold wind blew from the sea, and the chill worsened the pain in her heart.
She pulled out a name card from her coat pocket. There were a series of letters embossed in gold. ‘Arnold Carter.
She recalled what happened in Heaven on Earth. Arnold was about to leave the room when he suddenly turned around and came to her side. He looked at her cryptically and touched the scar on her cheek with his fingertips. “You are beautiful even with a wound on your face.”
Josie could not help but tremble.
“Are you a local?”
“Erm…”
“There’s a delicious local specialty. I’ll bring you to have it if there’s a chance.”
Arnold chuckled and pushed a name card to her. “Dexter doesn’t have much interest in women, so naturally, he doesn’t know how to cherish a lady. However, I treasure the woman I love. I like you very much, Ms. Warren. Even if we can’t be business partners, we can consider dating.”
He whispered those words into her ears, making her uncomfortable. She hated herself for falling for his words so easily and empathized with a malicious man.
She tore that name card into shreds and let the wind blow them.
away.
Russell Group and Carter Group had countless conflicts. Josie would never believe Arnold. from now on, but she also could not trust Dexter fully. Therefore, she decided not to get involved anymore. Their feud was risky.
A slight misstep could lead to one’s downfall.

Chapter 155 I Have Planned in Advance

Dexter never showed up the following week. He never returned to Mason Garden and seemed busy with the matters involving Westin.

Marilyn was indignant on Josie’s behalf. “Even if he’s busy, he should try to come home to sleep. He has gone overboard. I must talk to his grandfather.”

Josie knew she had angered Dexter and stopped Marilyn. “Dex is busy. There was a time when he didn’t come home for a month due to work. Don’t worry, Marilyn.”

“It wouldn’t have mattered usually, but you are injured. As your husband, he should at least. come home to see you.” Marilyn was confused by Dexter’s behavior.

Josie resisted laughing. Why doesit feel like I’m the daughter of the family and Dexter, the son-in- law?

“I’m almost recovered and will be able to get out of this cast after a week.” It was uncomfortable not being able to move freely. She could not wait for her injury to be healed.

“Josie, you don’t have to hide it from me. Is Dexter seeing another woman?” Marilyn asked softly. She looked worried.

Josie knew nothing about this. She stammered, “I don’t think so…” Dexter seemed busy every day and had no trace of other women on him.

“You’re right. Dex has always been devoted. You don’t have to worry about this.”

Josie considered. Even if Dexter has another woman, I can’t do anything about it anyway.

Suddenly, she received a message from Alice. ‘Do you know about this? An order came from above stating that Claire was dismissed from her position. Guess what the reason is. It’s because she committed a crime!’

Josie did not expect the matter to be dealt with so quickly that an order came from the higher-ups in less than a week.

‘Now, everyone is guessing whether you will take over her position. After all, you recently secured a major project and are the most viable candidate. But I think this position is jinxed. It’s all right even if you don’t get it.”

Josie finished reading the message and hesitated briefly before opening her messages with Dexter. Their conversation was still stuck on the previous topic. She typed a couple of words. “Thank you.”

Unlock succeeded

wever the

e deleted it immediately before typing again.

She felt a splitting headache and had no idea how to express her remorse. After pondering for a long time, she tossed her phone aside, not wanting to think or deal with it for now.

Meanwhile, Ivy brought a stack of documents and placed them on Dexter’s desk in his office on the top floor of Russell Group.

“Mrs. Ardon successfully retreated and is now in Rivodia. Should I let her see her son?”

Dexter signed a document and did not look at her. “Let her see him once a week until he comes of age.”

“Understood,” Ivy continued, “Leo hasn’t given up and sought out many old acquaintances. He even contacted Arnold. However, no one is willing to help him.”

Dexter sneered, “No one wants to be involved with a sinking ship. He is still young.”

“Westin’s resignation will be on tonight’s news. I believe Arnold will retaliate. What should we do?”

“Let’s wait and see.” Dexter put down the pen. “I need you to meet with Leo again and tell him to drive the car I gave him to Rivodia. The people there will receive him when they see the car.”

Ivy opened her mouth in protest. “Mr. Russell, you planned to help him all along… Aren’t you worried he will come back to bite you?”

“He’s like a younger brother I’ve watched growing up…” He smiled slightly and recalled a certain sharp-tongued woman scolding him for being heartless a few days ago. “He’s the only Ardon I will help. Get it done immediately.”

“Sure.” Ivy did not leave immediately but asked tentatively, “Will you also stay in the company tonight?”

He has been staying in the company this week. That’s strange. Did he and Josie fight?

“Have

you

released the news about Claire?” Dexter asked instead of answering her question.

“Yes, I have. I did not expect her to be so daring to have such murderous intent.”

‘Clank: Dexter gently tossed the pen on the table.

“I’m going home tonight.”

Chapter 156 Control Yourself

When Dexter did not come home, the servant helped Josie with her bath. It felt much less awkward than before. Apart from the occasional guilt, she was comfortable living in Mason Garden without Dexter.
At night, she lay on the couch and kept typing and deleting her message for Dexter. In the end, she didn’t send anything.

Suddenly, Dexter opened the door and saw her lying on the couch with her legs exposed. They were so smooth that they seemed to glow under the light.
“Mr. Russell? You’re back.” The maid’s voice alerted Josie. She nearly jumped from the couch and adjusted her clothes before sitting there awkwardly.
Dexter looked away and let the maid help him take off his coat.
Marilyn heard noises and dashed out of the kitchen. “Dex, you finally remembered to come home!”
Dexter rubbed his temple and replied, “I’ve been busy with company matters.”
Marilyn cleared her throat and pulled him aside before whispering, “That’s only an excuse. You didn’t even call for days. Did you two get into a fight?”
Dexter glanced sideways and saw Josie peeking at him fearfully. She immediately turned away when she realized he had noticed.
“Did she tell you?”
“I guessed. Josie didn’t say anything bad about you.”
“I guess so…”
Marilyn frowned. “Is it over something major?”
She reprimanded me because of another man. Is that considered a significant matter?
“No,” Dexter replied flatly, “it’s her fault.”
Marilyn wanted to defend Josie but was stumped briefly. “Since it’s not something major, why didn’t you come home for days? Why were you throwing a tantrum?”
Dexter arched his eyebrows in disbelief. “Did she tell you I was throwing a tantrum?”
Unlock succeeded
myself. Why do you keep accusing Josie?”

Dexter laughed angrily. “Marilyn, are you and Grandpa under her spell? Who are you siding with?”

Marilyn glared at him. “Your grandfather and I stand on the side of justice. You have handled the matter poorly. Even if you and Josie quarreled, it was wrong for you to abandon your wife for so many days. You hurt her feelings.”
Hurt her feelings? I don’t think so. She was happily playing with her phone when I came in just now.
Marilyn pushed him toward Josie. “Go and apologize to her. A married couple can never get angry with each other for too long. All you need to do is coax her a little, and she will be all right again.”
She suddenly thought of something and added, “Josie is still recovering from her injuries. You should control yourself and refrain from being intimate with her. Don’t make things. difficult for her!”
Those words sent a sudden flash through Dexter’s calm gaze. He frowned and protested, “Marilyn!”
“Okay, okay, I will keep quiet.”
Josie saw Dexter coming her way. Her heartbeat quickened. She gripped the hem of her shirt nervously.
She wanted to say something but was not sure what she should say.
Dexter sat beside her and peeled an orange to keep his hand busy. He said in a neutral tone, “How’s the wound on your face?”
“It’s all right.” Josie snatched the orange from him. “Let me do it.”
His hand suddenly became empty, prompting him to smirk. Josie quickly peeled the orange, but doing it with one hand was difficult. She accidentally dropped the orange, rendering their situation awkward.
Josie blushed embarrassedly and bent over quickly to pick it up. However, the orange was now dirty and had to be thrown away.
“I… I’m sorry.”
“It’s only an orange.” Dexter picked up another orange and played with it in his hands.
Josie felt even more nervous. She sat straight and said, “I’m not talking about the orange.”
“What then?” Dexter asked leisurely, prompting her to continue.

Josie hesitated for some time before clenching her teeth. “I shouldn’t have listened to others and reprimanded you. I’m
I’m sorry,
Dexter.”
Dexter suddenly smiled and looked at her calmly. “Turns out you have a conscience.”
Someone

Chapter 157 He Loved Someone
Josie breathed a sigh of relief when she realized it was easier to talk to Dexter than she expected.

She watched him place another slice of orange in his mouth and asked, “Is it sweet?”

Juice burst from the orange slice as he chewed, but it was not as sweet as the smile before him. He nodded slightly and answered, “It’s okay.”
Josie sensed he had moved closer and rushed to maintain distance between them. “Let me peel another one for you.”
Dexter reached out and grabbed her wrist, stopping her. “I have enough.”
Josie froze immediately and looked at his hand on hers. She quickly pulled her hand away and considered briefly before saying, “Dexter, I didn’t arrange to meet with Arnold that day. He cornered me. I will try my best to avoid him from now on.”
She had pondered about the matter and thought she needed to explain it.
Dexter placed the last slice of orange in his mouth and asked, “Do you like him?”
While he sounded casual, Josie was shocked by his question. “Why do you ask?”
Usually, servants were busy with household chores downstairs, but they had all disappeared. Josie and Dexter were the only ones in the room. Their voices sounded hollow in the vast
space.
“Arnold is known throughout Wavery as a womanizer. He seems respectable, well-mannered, and capable, so he has no problem getting any woman he wants. Furthermore, any woman. he interacted with couldn’t help falling for him,” Dexter explained casually. “You met him alone a few times. Are you sure you never felt anything for him?”
Josie laughed and unfurled her hands, revealing the intricate lines on her palms. “Sounds like I should fall in love with him?”
Dexter did not respond.
“No, not even once,” Josie answered firmly. “Although Arnold seems admirable, I keep feeling that his gentleness is only a mask he shows the world. In actuality, he is hiding his greed beneath that mask. Moreover, he approached me intending to exploit me. I’m afraid of him and can never love him.”

Josie stiffened again. She was asleep when they shared the bed previously. However, she was currently fully awake.
“Erm, Dexter.” Josie caught up with him and shouted, “Have you known Arnold for a long time? Can you tell me about him?”
Dexter paused immediately and glared at her warningly. Josie faltered and glanced elsewhere before saying. “Dex…”
He furrowed his brow and placed a hand on her shoulder, holding her slightly, “Let’s get upstairs first.”
Josie entered the master bedroom and breathed a sigh of relief. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it.”
Dexter took off his jacket and entered the bathroom straight away. Soon, sounds of running water came from the bathroom. Josie had no choice but to pace the room in embarrassment.
It took her a long time to calm down. Later, Dexter came out of the bathroom in a bathrobe. His chest was slightly exposed, revealing his well-formed collarbone and firm muscles. Water droplets rolled down his skin. It was a mesmerizing sight.
Meanwhile, Josie sat on the edge of the bed and had trouble drawing on her laptop with one hand.
Dexter glanced at her and asked, “Do you want to hear about Arnold?”
Josie immediately put down her laptop and sat straight, nodding eagerly. It was impossible not to be curious about someone like Arnold. Moreover, she wanted to know why Dexter would not go against him directly.
“He loved someone before.”
Josie’s eyes brightened. Who would have known there was a love story behind the business rivalry?
“Arnold and that lady were childhood friends from equally prominent families. Everyone in Wavery thought they would get married.” Dexter sat on the other side of the bed. Josie could see the side of his face clearly under the bedroom light.
“What happened then? No way! Did that lady fall in love with you?” Josie guessed.

Chapter 158 She Loved Dexter
Dexter replied with a hint of sarcasm, “Something like that.”

Josie was stunned into silence.

Arnold loved Summer Olsen, and the whole world knew about it. Summer was the second daughter of the Olsen family. She had a prestigious background, was beautiful, and was friendly. She was highly respected in upper-class social circles.
The Carter and Olsen families lived near each other. Since Arnold was a teenager, he openly expressed his feelings for Summer. However, Summer pretended not to notice and remained only as his friend.
Dexter was not much older than them. Thus, he could sense something. For example, Summer applied to study at the university he graduated from. She also devised ways to enter Russell Group for an internship and work as his assistant. Moreover, he noticed the overflowing admiration in her eyes.
However, he could only feign ignorance.
To achieve her goal, Summer even tricked Dexter and locked them in a hotel room before. spending the whole night expressing her love for him. She was devious and threatened. Dexter. “Dex, marrying me is the best solution. I have the looks, capability, and prominent family background, making me the most suitable woman for you. Moreover, you won’t be able to find a woman who loves you as much as I do. If you refuse me, reporters will gather outside this door when it opens tomorrow morning.”
Dexter sat on the couch all night and looked at the sky through the window. “Is it worth. throwing away your reputation like this?”
“Yes!” Tears flowed from her beautiful eyes. “All these years, I rejected countless men who pursued me, including Arnold, for your sake. Others might not understand why, but you do, right? Did you not notice anything?”
Dexter raised his eyebrows and felt frustrated. “You have the right to express your feelings, but I have the right to reject you. I see you as my younger sister and nothing more. You can ask me for anything except romantic love.”
Summer seemed on the verge of collapse and screamed hysterically, “Dex! But I love you. I loved you for so many years!”

Dexter stopped responding.

However, Russell Group bought and destroyed every one of those photos. Shortly after Dexter freed himself of Summer, his assistant received another piece of news.
Summer attempted suicide.

Ivy received the news while Dexter was taking a nap in the backseat. Dexter had worked through the night to deal with work matters for days. He was exhausted.
Ivy hesitated briefly before stuttering out the news.
Dexter remained silent for a long time. Ivy peeked at him through the rearview mirror and saw him suddenly opening his eyes like a ferocious beast woken from its slumber.
He rubbed his temple and said, “I’ll pay her a visit.”
Summer slit her wrist, leading to severe blood loss that left her life hanging on a thread. She did this all to catch another glimpse of the man without regard for her.
Still, her gamble worked. Dexter came to see her.
He glanced at her bandaged wrist and tapped it lightly before looking into her eyes. “The worst thing a woman can do is to degrade herself.”
Summer always made sure to dress up beautifully to see him. However, her lips were deathly pale this time, and she looked on the verge of dying. Yet, this look prompted Dexter to spare her a few more glances.
She wanted to laugh. “Dex, I cannot see you unless I degrade myself.”
Her eyes were red and swollen. It seemed she had cried recently. “Dex, do you really not want me?”
Her voice sounded charming even in her despair. Even Ivy could not help but pity her.
Meanwhile, Dexter sat in a chair and crossed his legs, looking at her kindly.
“Sum, you can name your condition. I won’t refuse.”
Naturally, he meant material things. Summer’s tears fell onto her pillow. She knew how generous Dexter was with such things. The last girl who pestered him asked for a limitless black credit card, which he gave her without batting an eyelid. All he cared about was that she stayed away from him.

Chapter 159 He Never Felt Anything

However, Summer did not want any material things. Instead, she wanted to have Dexter for the rest of her life.
That was impossible.

Dexter would never allow her to make such a request.
Therefore, she did not tell him what she desired the most. Instead, she looked at him dejectedly and said, “Dex, will you let me see you occasionally if I keep to the promise?”
The most she could wish for at this point was to see him occasionally.
Dexter looked into her eyes. “Sum, be reasonable.”
His response shattered her hope. She could not hold back her sadness and burst into tears.
“Later, she went overseas and never returned, even today,” Dexter said flatly and played with the rosary beads on the bedside table. It sounded like he was talking about something that happened to someone else and not him.
Josie was intrigued by the background story. “So that’s what happened. Arnold hates you. because of Summer.”
“I heard he went overseas a few times but could never find her.” Dexter smiled wryly. “The suggestive photos at the hotel, her suicide attempt, and her sudden move overseas. Arnold. thought everything was my fault. How could he not hate me?”
Josie thought it was unfair. “But you didn’t start it.”
Dexter glanced at the time and saw that it was late. “Would it make
any
difference?”
Josie was stumped. I think it makessome difference. It affects the outcome somehow.
Arnold had told her that Dexter had another woman before her. It seemed that woman was
Summer.
Josie was still puzzled about something, but Dexter put away the rosary beads and said, “It’s time to sleep.”
Later, Josie gripped the blanket in the dark, keenly aware of the masculine presence behind her. It made her a little nervous, but she still asked, “Dexter, Summer pursued you persistently for a long time. Have you ever fallen for her?”

Tsk, what a direct answer.
Yet, his answer seemed to calm her concern somehow, and she soon fell asleep.

However, she was not used to having someone beside her in bed. She kept moving toward the center of the bed in her sleep until she bumped into a warm, masculine body. It startled her and woke her up instantly.
Dexter was a light sleeper and was also awakened by her movement. He asked hoarsely, “What’s wrong?”
Josie did not dare to move or indicate that she was awake. She stayed still and pretended to be asleep.
Hearing no response, Dexter gently and carefully pulled a blanket over her body and returned to sleep.
Josie listened to her violent heartbeat in the darkness. She could not help but be flustered by his gesture.
The following afternoon, Josie planned to visit her father in the hospital. However, Marilyn was worried about her going out alone and insisted on accompanying her.
Calvin arranged everything well and took Justin to the hospital daily to care for his father. It seemed Justin had changed and was remorseful after what had happened previously. He became diligent and dedicated to caring for his father.
Josie informed Calvin that she would be visiting her father. Thus, Calvin did not bring Justin to the hospital.
Josie talked to her father, Paul, in the ward for some time. Suddenly, Matthew came in. “Jo.”
She stood up. “Hi, Matt. I’m here to see Dad.”
Matthew looked at her arm and narrowed his eyes. “I heard recently that you were admitted into our hospital for an arm fracture. However, you were already discharged when I went to
How’s
your arm?”
find you.
“It’s a lot better, Matt, so don’t worry. I will be able to get the cast removed soon,” Josie answered nervously, knowing Marilyn was watching.
However, Matthew did not care that Marilyn was there. “How did you get into a car accident?”
“I guess I was unlucky…”
Matthew furrowed his brow and asked, “Did he have something to do with it?”

Chapter 160 Claire Visited the Gynecology Department

Josie felt uncomfortable when he was overly concerned about her. “Not really… It was my fault. I have a few vicious rivals at work.”
Matthew did not believe her and seemed worried about her. “Jo, I’ve told you that you don’t have to pretend to be strong before me. You can rely on me.”

His words had gone overboard. Josie glanced at Marilyn’s suspicious expression and said quickly, “Matt, I know you see me as your younger sister, but I’m doing well, so please don’t worry.”
Matthew understood her hint and adjusted his attitude. He shook his head helplessly and replied, “Please don’t get into something like that again and make me worry, okay?”
“Sure, of course.” Josie smiled.
Later, Josie and Marilyn left the ward and got into an elevator. Marilyn held Josie’s arm to support her and asked tentatively, “Jo, was that doctor your relative?”
Josie knew Marilyn would ask about Matthew and had prepared an answer. “No, Marilyn. He’s my father’s lead doctor and is a kind man. He knew I was facing difficulties and was concerned about me. My father could have died long ago if not for his care.”
Marilyn was not wholly convinced. “He treats you as his sister?”
“Yes, how else can he treat me?” Josie could not help but feel guilty after saying that.
“All right, then. Jo, you now have Dex, who will handle everything for you. No matter the situation, Old Mr. Russell will always be on your side. As for Dex, being in the position that he is, he will never allow his wife to get into trouble,” Marilyn did not ask any more questions. but explained cryptically. “The two most important members of the Russell family like you very much.”
Josie pursed her lips and nodded. She did not dare to reveal that she and Dexter were only husband and wife on contract. She knew he did not like her much.
When the elevator reached the ground floor lobby, Marilyn slapped her thigh and exclaimed, “Oh no! I left the thermos in the ward. I need to go upstairs to get it.”

Therefore, Josie went to a chair in the lobby and sat down.
The hospital was one of the few places in the world that never lacked customers. It was always crowded with patients no matter the hour Eyewone bad wowied looks on their

Josie found herself looking at the gynecology department before her. There was a long line along the corridor. She noticed a few young women crying and heavily pregnant women smiling contentedly.
Josie focused on the people lining up and suddenly noticed a familiar figure. The woman held a paper and limped out of the department.
That’s Claire!
Josie was shocked. She narrowed her eyes and confirmed the woman was Claire.
Why is Claire here? She is still injured. Shouldn’t she be in the general ward? Could she be pregnant?
Josie sensed something was wrong the more she thought about it. She slipped among the crowd and followed Claire. Meanwhile, Claire did not realize she was being followed and headed to the underground car park. She walked slowly due to her injuries.
The bodyguards had beaten Claire enough to keep her bedridden for half a month. Yet, she was out of bed and went for a checkup at the gynecologist department.
Josie believed Claire did not drive to the hospital by herself. Instead, someone was waiting to pick her up at the car park. However, she never heard that Claire had a boyfriend.
Josie sent Marilyn a message as she trailed Claire, saying that she would leave ahead to go to Russell Group to see Dexter.
Marilyn soon messaged back. ‘Please be careful.’
Josie focused ahead and saw Claire take many turns before walking toward a Mercedes Benz. A man exited the car and opened the door before helping her in.
The car park was too dark for Josie to see that man’s face. However, his body shape seemed familiar. Josie could not recall where she had seen him. Unfortunately, before she could. observe more closely, the man suddenly glanced in her direction. She immediately turned away to herself and felt her heart thumping nervously.
She saw his face in that split second.

Chapter 161 Helping Out
The man seemed to notice Josie as she turned away. He pushed Claire into the car and walked toward where Josie was hiding. The sound of his footsteps gradually came near.

Josie closed her eyes and thought she would cause a commotion and run if he came too close. However, as the man was about to reach her hiding place, a big hand covered her mouth, causing her to widen her eyes in shock. Then, she saw a figure appearing from her side.

The person’s face gradually came into view. It was Arnold.
He wore a suit and a pair of leather shoes, making it seem like he was here for business matters. His face seemed intimidatingly cold when he was not smiling. He glanced at her and pulled her behind him.
Then, he walked out of the hiding spot toward the man, behaving like he was only passing by.
“Mr. Yves?”
The middle-aged man, who was called Phil Yves, instantly relaxed his expression. He was confused briefly before recognizing Arnold. “Is that you, Mr. Carter? What brings you here?” Phil immediately extended his hand for a handshake.
Arnold played with car keys in his hands before shaking Phil’s hand. “I came to the hospital for a checkup. I thought you seemed familiar but couldn’t recall who you were. Then, I realized it’s you, Mr. Yves.”.
Phil smiled even wider than before. He let down his guard and said, “It’s me who should have recognized you sooner. I didn’t expect to see you here, Mr. Carter. We have only met briefly. before this. I’m honored that you remember me.”
Arnold walked past him and looked at the Mercedes Benz. “You’re doing pretty well.”
He smirked and continued, “Russell Group must have paid you handsomely.”
Phil suddenly appeared awkward. “It’s still okay.”
“What brings you to the hospital, Mr. Yves.”
“Oh… I came here with a relative. It’s also for a health checkup.”
Arnold nodded politely and seemed no longer interested in the conversation. He retreated
and said Anyway I’ll take my leave first.

Phil nodded, eager to be on Arnold’s good side. He watched Arnold leave. Then, he stood on his toes to look more closely, ensuring he did not miss anything.
I don’t think Mr. Carter is the kind of person who would hide someone like her. I must have been
mistaken.
Soon, Phil entered his Mercedes Benz and left the car park. Josie finally breathed a sigh of relief. She did not expect Arnold to show up suddenly or that he would help her. She said worriedly, “That… That man is the manager of Russell Group’s human resource department!”
Arnold stood relaxed against the car door. “I know.”
Josie was suddenly stumped. There was something even more unbelievable that she could. not discuss with him, such as why Phil and Claire were together. Are Mr. Yves and Claire a couple? But Russell Group prohibits office romance. Furthermore, Claire committed many crimes. Since they are a couple, could Mr. Yves be involved in my car accident?
I need to find out about this.
Josie desperately wished that Dexter was with her and not Arnold.
“Ms. Warren, even though we didn’t team up, I still helped you. Aren’t you going to thank me?” Arnold playfully tapped on his car.
“Thank you.” Josie woke up from her thoughts. “Unfortunately, I have to deal with urgent. matters, Mr. Carter. Let’s chat another time.”
She immediately tried to run to chase after the car, but an arm blocked her way. “Get in my
car.”
Josie pursed her lips.
Arnold liked to show off and loved driving sports cars. His blue Maserati attracted much. attention as it cruised on the road. Josie sat stiffly in the front passenger seat. She recalled. that Dexter preferred to keep a low profile and drove a Porsche for work matters. He would only drive a sports car in his personal time.
Arnold sped up and soon caught up with Phil’s Mercedes Benz. Josie was surprised. “Mr. Carter, how do you know they are on this road?”
Arnold turned the steering wheel and did not answer her question. “Can you call me Arnold?”

Chapter 162 Call Him Arnold
Josie gulped and replied, “That’s… inappropriate.”

The Mercedes Benz stopped at the traffic light ahead. Josie was anxious, but Arnold appeared. relaxed. “Mr. Russell also calls me Arnold. So how is that inappropriate?”

Josie laughed and replied, “Mr. Carter, stop joking with me. I’m not in the same league as Mr. Russell.”
“I won’t pursue the car unless you call my name.” The light turned green. Arnold touched the steering wheel and whistled a tune, refusing to drive.
Josie panicked when she saw the Mercedes Benz traveling out of sight. She had no choice but to submit to his request. “Arnold! Arnold! Chase that car!”
Arnold smiled gleefully and stepped on the accelerator. He asked, “Why did you go to the hospital alone? Aren’t you worried something could happen to you?”
Josie thought his question was strange, but she was too focused on the car ahead to think about it. “Didn’t you also go to the hospital alone?”
She suddenly sensed something was wrong and turned to him curiously. “Is something wrong with your health?”
“You seem to wish something is wrong with me.” Arnold leaned into his seat.
Josie was surprised by his reply and immediately denied it. She grew more curious as she observed him more. He not only had wealth and prestige but was exceptionally handsome and had impeccable good taste. It was hard to imagine him being so in love and devoted to a
Woman.
Summer must be beautiful.
For some reason, Phil did not find it strange that Arnold’s car followed him or attempted to shake off Arnold’s car. Instead, he drove onto a main road, where Josie noticed more luxury cars. It felt like they had entered a different world.
Josie was curious. “What is this place?”
Arnold did not answer her but sped up. “Do you want me to go alongside the car?”
He seemed to understand what Josie was thinking. “Yes.”

Unlock succeeded
succeededared
peared Phil’s, Josie hid below the car window and raised camera lens at the Mercedes Benz’s front seats and manned

Then, she enlarged the photo on her phone and found Claire in it. “It’s really her…”

Phil’s Mercedes Benz entered a racecourse’s parking lot. Phil then exited the car with a stack. of documents, while Claire remained in the car alone.
Josie got up from hiding with some difficulty and looked outside. She discovered that all the luxury cars she saw on the road were now parked there. Thus, she guessed this was a grand racecourse exclusive for wealthy men.
She considered briefly before opening her chat with Dexter to send him the photo she had. taken. Suddenly, a voice sounded beside her. “Why does an ordinary employee have Dexter’s personal number? How strange.”
Arnold spoke flatly. It sounded like he knew the answer but still brought up the question to see her response.
Josie replied awkwardly, “It’s… for work. It’s easier to communicate with Mr. Russell this way.”
Arnold grunted as if he understood her. “But why not report to Ms. Miller? What kind of work requires you to report to him directly?”
Then, he paused briefly before continuing, “Could your task be acting as his wife?”
‘Thud. The phone slipped from Josie’s hand and fell on her foot. It was so painful that she could hardly breathe.
Arnold had a domineering presence. It was impossible to hide from him. Moreover, he seemed to know everything, so she could not feign ignorance or refuse to answer.
It seemed she would be in trouble no matter what she did.
After a moment, Arnold bent over and helped her pick up the phone. He waved it at her and chuckled. “You dropped your phone. Shouldn’t you pick it up?”
Josie gulped and took the phone immediately. “Thank you.”
He gripped the phone securely and did not let her take it. “Do you want to confront that woman?”

Chapter 163 Her Turn to Help
Josie was stunned. Does he want to see me fight with Claire?

“Erm, I don’t have my bodyguard today. I’m too weak to fight her.”

Arnold glanced at her phone and realized it was an old model that came out many years ago. There were a few cracks on the screen. It seemed Josie was a frugal person. “Why are you scared? Aren’t I here? It will be two against one. We can easily win.”
Josie did not dare to cause trouble, especially when Dexter was not around. Moreover, she was with Arnold, a man of dubious intentions. “Forget it. It’s the company’s internal matter. I better investigate it further.”
She forcefully snatched her phone back and discovered there was no reception. It meant her photo was not sent out. She had no choice but to request Arnold to turn on his mobile hotspot. It was embarrassing.
Then, she pursed her lips and considered before saying, “Mr. Carter, you’re overthinking. I only desire to do my best for Russell Group and have zero interest in being Mr. Russell’s wife. Please don’t get me into trouble with Mr. Russell. I don’t want to lose my job.”
She spoke sincerely. Her words sounded like something any employee would say.
Arnold smiled slightly upon hearing her and became interested in her expression.
“Mr. Carter?” She could not figure out the meaning behind his smile.
“Arnold,” Arnold corrected.
Josie was rendered speechless. Suddenly, Phil came out of the racecourse and no longer the documents. He quickly entered his car and sped away, leaving the place with Claire.
Josie saw Arnold sitting still and asked tentatively, “Should we leave? You can drop me by the road, and I’ll get a taxi to send me home.” What bad luck. Why do I always get into some unexpected situation whenever I bump into him?
However, Arnold unlocked the doors and exited the car. “I helped you. It’s now your turn to help me.”
Josie soon found herself being led ahead by his arm around her shoulder. She sensed she would be dragged into some conspiracy. “I can’t ride a horse.”

“I’ll teach you.”

he ratecourse was around the size of two soccer fields. Usually, o

get in, but a uniformed staff rushed over upon seeing Arnold. He opened the door and greeted respectfully, “Good to see you, Mr. Carter Junior.”

Josie could not resist her curiosity and whispered, “Why did they call you Mr. Carter Junior?”
“Have you considered that maybe I have a father?”
Oh, so that’s why.
They entered a car arranged for them and sped toward their location. The driver said, “Mr. Carter, Mr. Russell has been waiting for some time.”
Mr. Russell? Did he mean Dexter Russell? He’s here?
Josie panicked when she pieced together that they would be meeting Dexter. She gripped Arnold’s wrist. “What’s the meaning of this?”
No wonder he knew where Mr. Yves would be going. He is supposed to meet Dexter here.
Arnold was slightly astonished by her reaction but soon became curious. “Why are you so afraid of him? It’s not like he can do anything to you.”
That’s not the issue. The problem is what he will think when seeing me show up with another man. It will be hard to explain.
“I’m Russell Group’s employee. It will be unseemly if I keep being seen hanging out with the head of Carter Group. Mr. Carter, please understand my situation and let me out of the car,” Josie forced herself to explain despite being on the verge of tears.
“Hanging out. I like this word.” Arnold grabbed her hand and said, “You showed different. sides of yourself to Dexter. Sometimes you behaved submissively and acted cute to coax him. Other times, you seemed rational and serious. Yet, you always behaved professionally with me.”
“However, your progress is too slow. I can help you to speed up your growth when required. Do you wish to try?”
Josie could not understand what he was talking about and was not interested. She desperately wanted to jump out of the car.

Chapter 164 Won Her Heart
Arnold refused to let her go. He held her hand as he walked toward the center of the

racecourse.

The racecourse kept many pure breed horses. Josie glanced at the horses’ lustrous coats and knew they were easily worthed at least ten times more than her.
Dexter rode a pure-breed Ferghana horse and galloped in the middle of the racecourse. He wore a denim jacket and tucked the hem of his pants into his leather riding boots. His slim figure and fitting clothes made him appear even taller than usual. His horse galloped fast and moved like a wind across the grassy ground.
Dexter suddenly pulled the rein as he sensed people approaching him. The horse obeyed him immediately and stopped. He looked heroic sitting atop the horse.
Josie desperately wished the ground would swallow her when he looked down in her direction.
She tried to pull her hand away, but Arnold stubbornly refused to let go. He raised his chin and commented, “Dexter, your horse-riding skills improved again.”
Dexter did not get off the horse but looked at Josie, standing beside Arnold. “Arnold, I see you brought my employee. Where did you find her?”
Josie heard his sarcastic tone and rushed to explain, “I met Mr. Carter at the hospital. It was a coincidence.”
Arnold held her hand tightly. “You forgot again. Didn’t I say to call me Arnold?”
Josie cautiously observed Dexter’s expression. His gaze darkened like a stormy sky before. calming down. Then, he got off the horse and smiled cryptically while removing his gloves. “Arnold, I had no idea you managed to woo my employee in mere few days.”
Josie was unable to say anything.
A racecourse staff led a horse to Arnold. Arnold patted the horse’s mane and said, “That’s not true. I’ve always been sincere with my feelings toward women, but I’m always the one to get dumped. Otherwise, I wouldn’t still be single now.”
He glanced at Josie suggestively after saying that.

Josie could not bring herself to laugh. She sensed Arnold was hinting about Summer.
Thats their problem. However, knowing you, no one can force you to do

int tout believe I understood you pretty well Dexter accepted aw

the staff and drank a few mouthfuls. His Adam’s apple trembled alluringly as he swallowed.
Arnold climbed onto his horse and extended his hand toward Josie. “In that case, you seem. to have forgotten something. Those who understand my character do not end well.”
Josie did not accept his hand and shook her head. “My arm is still injured. I can’t ride.”
“Arnold is a good rider. He is especially good at subduing a rogue horse. You should experience it.” Dexter sounded in a good mood.
She stared at him with shock and fear. She had never ridden a horse, especially a rogue one.
Arnold smirked and said, “Come up here. Don’t worry. I won’t let you get hurt.”
The staff helped her put on wrist and knee guards. Thus, Josie had no choice but to get on the horse. Arnold secured her in his embrace and hugged her gently, resting his chin on her shoulders. Then, he taught her basic riding techniques and spoke to her affectionately.
Josie did not dare to look at Dexter’s expression. She felt a chill down her spine.
Meanwhile, Dexter was feeding his horse. “I haven’t seen him for some time. His appetite has grown a lot. It seems no amount of food could satisfy him.”
Arnold replied, “A rogue horse can never be fully tamed. Its appetite will become more voracious as it grows. You should be prepared.”
“Unfortunately, I’m afraid he will be blinded by his appetite and greed, biting off more than he can chew.”
“When there’s a will, there’s a way.” Arnold gripped the rein tightly, prompting the horse to neigh. Josie was frightened by the noise and felt her heart in her throat. Then, Arnold asked, “Dexter, we haven’t competed for a long time. What about racing one round?”

Chapter 165 Horse Racing

Dexter’s expression was ambiguous. Suddenly, he smirked and said, “Sure, let’s see if your have slacked off on your skills.”
Josie’s back broke out in cold sweat. Dexter owned this racecourse. He would have no problem riding well. However, Josie had never been on a horse before this. She feared what would happen to her if Arnold insisted on competing with Dexter.

Thankfully, Arnold had mercy and did not begin the race immediately. He embraced her securely and guided the horse to walk a few rounds so that she could get used to the movements. At the same time, he said to Dexter, “I heard Leo went to Rivodia. Initially, I thought he would stand firm on his principle. Who knew he would give in eventually?”
Dexter sat straight on the back of his horse. “If he still hasn’t learned to lay low and bid his time, he should stop telling people that he regarded me as his older brother for years.”
Arnold smiled. “Lay low and bid his time? Aren’t you worried he could turn into a wolf and attack you one day?”
“Arnold, a weak puppy can never turn into a wolf. Don’t you agree?” Dexter’s gaze seemed to hint at something. He glanced at Josie and smiled slightly.
Meanwhile, Josie was on high alert and focused on staying on the horse. She hated the feeling of being dangled in the air.
Arnold noticed her nervousness and taught her to adjust her posture when pulling They seemed intimate as their hands touched. “I had a meeting with Carter Group’s management yesterday. Everyone tried to convince me to give up on purchasing Lan They seemed to think Russell Group is guaranteed to win.”
“I have no power to instruct them to do that. You misunderstood.”
Seeing Josie was less nervous, Arnold looked at Dexter and replied, “Of course, I trust the people on my side. However, I wonder if you can trust anyone in Russell Group.”

Dexter’s smile gradually faded. At the same time, Arnold hugged Josie tightly and pulled the rein. “Let’s begin.”
Two horses stood before the starting line. The horse trainer stood at the side and counted. from three to one. The two horses shot forward like arrows, leaving clouds of dust in the air and loud noises of hooves on the ground.
Josie closed her eyes and felt the strong wind on her face. She could only hold the rein with.
andrar no sense of security. The horse moved so fast that be remote in tear it felt like she would get thrown off at any secr

“Josie, control your breathing and open your eyes.” Arnold’s calm voice sounded by her ear.
They were so close that Josie could smell his special perfume. The fragrance was a mix of lilies and roses blended with the unique scent of his masculine pheromone. He secured her tightly in his embrace so that she would not move.
Josie worked hard to calm down and opened her eyes to see Dexter riding ahead. His form was mesmerizing and powerful. Dust filled the air as he rode past. He reminded her of a commander returning from a victorious battle.
His horse galloped fast and soon left them behind. Dexter even had time to glance behind. him and met Josie’s gaze, oppressing her with his domineering presence.
“Don’t space out during such a crucial moment?” Arnold’s voice woke Josie from her daze. He sneered and continued, “Seems like you’re no longer afraid.”
“No…” Josie could barely say one word before Arnold suddenly sped up. He caught up with Dexter and turned to him, shouting, “Dexter, I’m going to overtake you!”
Dexter smirked and hit his horse with a riding whip. His horse neighed loudly and charged madly ahead, putting a considerable distance between them.
Josie was stunned. Dexter’s horse was startled and galloped wildly on the racecourse. Yet, he could control it.

Chapter 166 I Like Your Beauty Spot

The horse trainer shouted urgently. “Mr. Russell! Stop!”

Josie opened her mouth in shock and looked at Dexter. His horse had galloped off the

course.

Arnold slowed down and asked casually, “Are you worried?”

Josie sat stiffly. “No….”

Then, Arnold held her hands tightly and chuckled. “Are you aware that your body language doesn’t lie? Moreover, we are sitting so close that I can know your thoughts.”

His words annoyed Josie, prompting her to retort, “It’s because I’m nervous.”

“Let’s stop here.” Arnold did not care who won the race and let his horse slow down. “Don’t worry. Dexter has years of experience in taming horses. He will be fine.”

Accidents can always happen. Josie gulped worriedly and recalled the news she had seen. I read that people became disabled after falling off a horse. I can’t find Dexter anywhere. What should I do?

“Arnold, why did you do that for?” Josie did not hide her annoyance and scolded, “You knew you could never win with me on the horse. Why did you insist on a race with him? You even goaded him. Look at what you’ve done! What if something happened to him?”

Arnold laughed upon hearing her. “What are you saying? Do you think it was deliberate? I have no reason to do that.”

It’s because of Summer! Josie clenched her teeth furiously but could not say anything.

“Let me down!”

“Don’t move.” Arnold leaned to the side and looked at her face before rubbing his fingertips against her skin. “There’s dust.”

Josie forgot to breathe as he leaned close. He looked at her charmingly and said, “I like the beauty spot under your eye. It’s pretty.”

Josie came to her senses and hit him with her arm. “I want to get down from the horse!”

Arnold did not stop her this time. The horse trainer stepped forward to unfasten the straps holding her to the saddle and helped her off the horse.

heart come finally calm down once her feet touched the ground. Unlock succeeded

roumans and asked. “Where’s Mr. Russell? Is he not back yet? Have you

A neigh sounded right after her questions. She looked as far as she could and found Dexter returning on his horse. His horse galloped fast, but he did not seem nervous and let it gallop toward Josie.

He’s all right! That’s wonderful!

Josie smiled, but the joy in her eyes gradually disappeared as she realized the horse was charging in her direction. Dexter’s expression was cold and emotionless. He also made no move to steer the horse away. It seemed he was targeting her.

Josie stepped back but did not have time to react otherwise. Her pupils widened with shock.

As the horse was about to reach Josie, Arnold jumped off his horse and dashed to her. He grabbed her waist and rolled them out of the way. Josie cried out in pain.

Meanwhile, Dexter suddenly pulled the rein and steered the horse in another direction, narrowly avoiding where Josie stood. He noticed the two people in a tight embrace on the ground.

Arnold let Josie fall on him and used his body to cushion her fall.

Josie coughed and was still flustered from what had happened. On the other hand, Arnold tucked stray strands of Josie’s hair behind her ears and asked, “Are you hurt?”

Josie shook her head and stood up immediately. “Thank you…”

Arnold propped his head on his arm and sneered, “Dexter, you haven’t changed. You’re still harsh to the ladies.”

Dexter got off the horse and handed the rein to the horse trainer. “Bring it to the vet. It injured its legs.”

“Yes, sir.”

Seeing that Dexter did not respond, Arnold turned to Josie and said, “Look at him. You can’t rely on Mr. Russell. If you want someone you can lean on and protect, I suggest you choose

me.”

Chapter 167 Let Her Be Your Assistant

Josie was also confused by Dexter’s action. She could not understand why he did it. If Arnold did not save her, that horse would have collided with her and killed her.
Dexter remained cold and indifferent as he brushed the dust off his clothes. Then, he smiled vaguely, “Did you hear that? Arnold treats women like queens. It’s not bad for you to follow him. Once, he held an engagement ceremony in Carter Group to court a woman. It was an enviable sight.”

Arnold’s expression changed visibly as Dexter spoke. His smile was not as easygoing ast before. “Dexter is jealous of me. I’ve dated many women, but he’s alone all these years. I wonder who will get married first.”
Josie’s heart skipped a beat. She sensed there was a deeper meaning to his words.
Meanwhile, Dexter removed his riding clothes and put on his coat, ignoring Arnold.
However, Arnold refused to give up. “Dexter, I like this employee of yours. Can I have her as my assistant? I had many assistants before, but they are not as innocent and soothing as this lovely lady.”
“Since you already have Ivy as your assistant, I guess it won’t affect you much if you lose such a junior employee.”
“That’s no problem at all.” Dexter turned to the side and looked at Josie as he walked past Arnold. “You should ask her yourself if you truly want her.”
Josie felt threatened by his intimidating gaze and said, “I’m honored to have a chance to work
for Mr. Carter.”
Dexter smirked and touched the roof of his mouth with the tip of his tongue. He did not reveal his thoughts about her response. Instead, he said, “In that case, you should follow Mr. Carter home.”
He strode toward the exit after saying that. Josie’s heart clenched as she watched him leave.
Suddenly, Arnold stepped in front of her and blocked her sight of Dexter. He smiled and said, “Seems like you have to come home with me today.”

Josie returned to the Maserati and sat in the front passenger seat in a daze. She rubbed her fingers on her phone and pondered over the matter. That’s just great. Not only did I forget to tell him about Claire and Phil. I even got myself into more trouble.
you Thinking? It was now evening. The light from the set Unlock succeeded Arnett with colorful hues. His side profile reminded Josie of a fund

You’re wondering why Dexter tried to crash his horse into you.”
Arnold correctly guessed what Josie was thinking, but she refused to admit it. “I was wondering whether you will send me home.”

Arnold was surprised by her response. “Don’t you know women all over Wavery desire to share my bed?”
“I know.” Josie took a deep breath before continuing. “But I think you’re a righteous. gentleman. You won’t behave inappropriately with someone like me.”
“A righteous gentleman? Who told. you this?”
“Rumors say you pulled all stops to pursue a woman in the past. I feel I can trust such a dedicated man,” Josie replied, choosing her words carefully.
Arnold sneered and drove the car to the ground floor of Carter Group building. “Did Dexter tell you this?”
Josie shook her head slowly.
“You don’t have to hide. After all, I have never hidden anything from you.” Arnold exited the car and opened the door for Josie. “Furthermore, you’ve guessed incorrectly. I’m not a righteous gentleman.”
Josie looked at Carter Group’s sign and asked, “Where are you bringing me?”
It seemed every president had a lounge in their office. However, Arnold’s lounge was in a completely different style from Dexter’s. Moreover, there were all kinds of alcoholic drinks. in the room. It was a dazzling sight.
Arnold poured a glass of red wine and swirled it. “I’m serious about what I offered, Josie. Do you want to join Carter Group? You don’t have to work as an undercover.”

Chapter 168 Jealousy
The frustration in Josie’s heart grew the longer she remained in this place. She placed a hand. on the bar table and fluttered her lashes. “Mr. Carter, do you think I’m beautiful?”

Arnold laughed and answered, “Honestly, you’re still quite some way from being considered beautiful.”

Josie dropped all her charming act and appeared annoyed. “Why do you want me then? I’m only an unassuming commoner. I have nothing of value, not even beauty. All I have is my life.”
Arnold smiled cryptically and drank a mouthful of wine. Then, he stood behind her and slowly fed her the rest of the wine in the glass. “Honestly, I’m not interested in you, but Dexter cares about you, and that piques my interest.”
He is a freak. Josie choked on the wine and coughed, pressing her hand to her chest. Her mouth was filled with the taste of alcohol.
“Why do you want to snatch something belonging to him? Is it because the woman you loved fell in love with him?” She blurted without thinking.
Arnold raised his eyebrows and smiled. “I didn’t expect you to know about this.”
Josie coughed and considered how she could explain when Arnold’s phone rang. He did not want to answer the call but saw the attached message and knew he had no choice but to
answer it.
Arnold frowned and walked out of the lounge to take the call.
Josie breathed a sigh of relief and was temporarily freed from his oppressive aura. She dropped herself on the couch and looked at the view outside the floor-to-ceiling window, At this moment, she realized that Carter Group was exactly opposite Russell Group.
What should I do now? Do I really have to spend the night here?
But how am I to face Dexter if I return to Mason Garden? Her mind replayed scenes of him charging at her on his horse.
Josie could never forget his gaze. It was cold and emotionless. That was enough reason for her to believe he wanted to kill her.

She felt sad as she thought about this.
and took red
time to answer the call. He left for so long Sugdenly she heard someone knocking on the door. She

ran to get the door. “It’s your lounge. Why are you knocking…..”
Josie abruptly fell silent when she saw the man standing before her.
“Dexter?”
Her tone was filled with surprise.

Dexter held a cigarette between his fingers and stared at the red stain on the corner of her mouth. He did not utter a word to her.
Josie could not stand the prolonged silence and gave in. She felt oddly guilty as she asked, “How do you know I’m here?”
Dexter’s gaze instantly darkened. He stepped into the lounge, stared at the empty wine glass, and snorted. “I have to applaud your resourcefulness. You always know to find yourself a protector. Not many women are as lucky as you.”
His sarcastic words dispelled any sense of guilt Josie had. She raised her chin and refused to back down. “You’re right. Since you abandoned me, I had no choice but to find another man.”
Dexter immediately gripped her chin and leaned close to her face. “Why did you make it sound like I’m mistreating you? Josie, haven’t I warned you to know your place? Don’t you dare dream otherwise!”
Josie refused to give in. Her eyes glimmered with determination as she retorted, “Really? And let myself die trampled by your horse?”
Josie felt like she had released a burden after finally voicing her grievance. She awaited. Dexter’s response with anticipation.
Dexter did not let the matter go and answered confidently, “Even if Arnold didn’t help you, I would never let the horse collide with you.”
Tears fell from the corner of her eyes. “Would you? That horse had gone mad. You probably wouldn’t be able to control it.”

Chapter 169 Betrayal

“I would have controlled the horse!”

Josie’s tears fell onto the back of Dexter’s hand. It felt hot on his skin and thawed his heart.

Dexter furrowed his brow and seemed angry.

Josie was unsure what he was annoyed about, but she guessed it wasn’t only about what happened on the racecourse. Furthermore, he behaved indifferently to her the whole day. disheartening her.

She turned away and said, “You’re right. I should know my place. I’ve already received your favor, so I shouldn’t expect more. Don’t worry. I won’t join Arnold’s side.”

Dexter made her face him, demanding, “You were drinking with him. Did you share the same glass?”

“That’s right.” Josie could not resist goading Dexter. Her heart was filled with grievances against him.

Dexter sneered indifferently and placed the cigarette between his lips. The glowing cigarette lent a threatening gleam to his gaze, intimidating Josie. He blew puffs of smoke to her face, obscuring her vision. Suddenly, he let her go and tossed the cigarette in the trash can before going to the bar counter. Then, he reached under it and pulled out something before doing the same to the edge of the couch and the bathroom door.

Josie was confused and watched him throw the things he pulled out onto the floor and crush them under his feet. He locked the lounge door after that.

Josie could not help but be afraid of Dexter at this moment. She retreated from him. “What are you doing? This is Arnold’s place.”

“So?” He unfastened his tie. “Arnold had no qualms installing listening devices in his lounge. No one understands his distrustfulness as much as I do. I can’t let him listen to what I will do

next.”

Josie took a deep breath and touched the table to support herself. Night breeze rippled the air and fluttered her skirt, revealing her smooth and fair legs.

Dexter’s breath grew heavier. He sneered, “You showed up at the racecourse and ruined my plan.”

Josie shook her head. “I saw Claire at the hospital. She was there with Mr. Yves, the human

resource department manager. Moreover, she is pregnant. I wo

wouldn’: hay holic: If Article had not appeared then.”

If she had known what Phil would do afterward, she would have risked everything and fought him.

Dexter furrowed his brow. He had no idea about the things Josie said. “Why didn’t you inform me earlier?”

“How could I tell you? Arnold was beside me, and my phone signal was cut due to outstanding fees. I couldn’t message you,” Josie felt anxious and explained hurriedly.

Dexter sat down and lit another cigarette. He smoked to calm his fury.

Josie noticed his fierce expression and pursed her lips. “Did something happen?”

“He went against me.”

It took her a while to understand what he meant. “Isn’t he… the manager of the human. resource department?”

“Two of the elite talents he poached were involved in this acquisition project. They ran off with important documents this afternoon.”

Dexter was a charismatic man. Even as he sat there quietly with an expression of fury and gloom, one could not help but be attracted to him.

Since he knew about these, it meant everything had been exposed. Josie suddenly recalled. what Arnold had said about helping him and finally understood what he meant.

Moreover, he hinted at the racecourse that Dexter should not trust the people in Russell Group.

It turned out Arnold was using Josie to buy time.

Josie was suddenly ridden with guilt. Landon acquisition project was important to Dexter. They thought their success was guaranteed after the fall of the Ardon family. No one expected the enemies to cause more trouble.

Josie went to the couch and sat down. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know about all this. All I knew was that Mr. Yves and Claire worked together and acted against me. I didn’t expect there to be more than that.”

Chapter 170 Their Second Kiss

Dexter looked at her through the clouds of smoke. “He sent me documents this morning but altered the information in it. Do you know about this?”

Josie shook her head. “I saw him bringing documents to the racecourse, but I didn’t know. what they were or that he went to see you.”

Dexter nodded upon hearing her and smirked. “I didn’t expect Arnold to resort to such a trick.”

Josie was stunned. Arnold always appeared playful and unserious. Who would have known he was such a devious and scheming person?

“Where is he? Aren’t you worried he will come in?” They were now in Arnold’s lounge, yet Dexter behaved like he was home.

“He’s going overseas. He should be on the way to the airport.”

Josie was amazed at how nonchalant Dexter sounded. She suspected he would never let someone trick him without paying back in kind.

Dexter snuffed the cigarette. “You no longer have a protector now that he’s gone. Are you disappointed?”

Josie clenched her hands. “I never wanted him to be my protector.”

Dexter regarded her indifferently before suddenly holding her wrist and embracing her. “You lied so much. When were you ever truthful?”

Josie could not move. Her long hair pooled messily on his arm. The warm and soft strands. awakened something in his heart.

“Everything I’ve told you is the truth.”

He tightened his grip on her waist and turned her over, trapping her in the corner of the couch. Their hips touched.

Josie was overwhelmed by his presence. When she finally found her bearing, he pressed her down again and rested his chin on her shoulder, breathing against her ear.

“You seemed so innocent and docile before Arnold this morning.”

Josie struggled to retort to his mockery. “Mr. Russell, your acting skill is quite exceptional

Strice you agreed to give me to Arnold, why did you chase me to eaner

She wouldn’t stand a chance against Arnold if I didn’t show up.

Dexter pressed his cold lips on her soft cheek. He gradually moved his lips downward as he spoke. “You dare to say this to me after making me abandon my principle. You should take back your words.”

Josie felt uncomfortably warm all over her body. She looked up at Dexter and smelled his clean scent. “Dexter…”

His hands caressed upwards from her waist, causing her mind to go blank briefly. She heard Dexter’s voice. “You’re more charming in this state.”

He enveloped her in his embrace. She only needed to turn her head slightly to kiss his lips.

Dexter seemed to have suppressed his desire for a long time. He trembled as passion burned like a raging flame within him.

“I was thinking. I wonder if I have what it takes to entice you.” Josie suddenly became brave and sat astride on his lap. She wrapped her arms around his neck and leaned down to kiss

him.

Dexter’s body immediately stiffened even more.

“Seems like I do.” Josie bit his lips gently before kissing him again. She coaxed him to part his lips and slipped her tongue in, gradually heightening their kisses. “Dexter, your lips are soft. No matter how harsh your words are, your lips remain soft. I’ve tested it just now.”

The veins on Dexter’s forehead throbbed violently. He could not look away from her alluring form, taking in her every expression.

Suddenly, he hugged her waist and returned her kisses. He kissed her harder, deeper, and more aggressively than she did.

“How dare you.” Dexter tasted the red wine in her mouth and kissed her intensely. He soon wiped out all traces of red wine and filled her mouth with his tobacco smell. There was only his mark left on her body.

After kissing for three minutes, their breaths grew heavy, and they seemed on the cusp of advancing to the next stage. Josie sensed that Dexter was losing control of his desire. She held his hands to stop him from unbuttoning her shirt. “We can’t do it here.”

Chapter 171 Inevitable Matters

Dexter paused and lifted his gaze from her embrace, his eyes filled with desire.

Josie’s cheeks bloomed red, her voice trembling. “Not here. We are at Arnold Carter’s place.”

It was audacious of him to act so freely in the enemy’s domain, completely disregarding the influence of the Carter Group.

Dexter withdrew his hand, their foreheads touching. He spoke huskily, “Are you afraid of him seeing us?”

Josie struggled to grasp the meaning behind his words, unsure if he cared more about her fear of someone catching them or Arnold, in particular, seeing them. She pondered her response carefully, “Yes… I’m afraid of someone seeing us.”

Hearing her answer, he grew cautious and tightened his hold on her waist. “Let’s go home

first.”

While their actions in Heaven on Earth might’ve passed off as ambiguous, their actions this time would be too difficult to conceal. It was hard to hide the chemistry between them.

Josie wasn’t naive. She knew the reason why Dexter had turned up at Carter Group.

Carter’s elevator overlooked the breathtaking scenery of Wavery. Josie instinctively grasped. onto his clothes in the empty elevator as she looked through the transparent glass. Dexter tightened his embrace in return.

“Did Arnold Carter bring you up here the same way?”

Regaining her composure, Josie could finally think clearer. She looked up and smiled. cheekily, “Mr. Russell, could I interpret what you said as you being jealous, if I may be so blunt?”

With marks still visible on her neck, her smiling face resembled a blossoming flower bud. Dexter averted his gaze, feeling restless. “Who said I’m jealous?”

“Is that so? It seems that I’m the only one that’s jealous every day,” Josie quickly replied, playfully teasing.

“Whom are you jealous of?”

She actually pondered for a moment. Dexter had never behaved inappropriately to anyone. else, so there was no target for her to blame on. “Perhaps Ms. Miller. You two are always

parable Who knows if you two are into office play, just like Mr. Yves

Unlock succeeded

s in secret that nobody knows of”

As Josie verbalized her thoughts, her fantasies grew wilder.

Dexter sneered, “You know quite a lot. You’ve entertained these thoughts often during work, huh?”

She pouted, “What. I’m not even allowed to slack for a bit now?”

Dexter remained silent, yet his grip on her waist tightened.

Undeterred, Josie persisted with her questions as they headed back to Mason Garden. “Please do enlighten me, Mr. Russell. Why did you come here by yourself? Were you looking for me just now?”

Dexter stared at the traffic ahead, a hint of awkwardness appearing on his usually calm face. “You’re overthinking.”

Josie deliberately rubbed against him, her persistence growing. “At the racecourse, when you saw me with Arnold Carter, were you surprised?”

He glanced at her sideways, his voice turning cold, “I didn’t know you two were there in the first place; it was a coincidence.”

“Then, when you rode your horse and bumped into me, were you angry with me?”

Josie’s courage inexplicably grew for some reason.

Dexter cast a sidelong glance at her, his voice and expression distant. “You are one of the Russells and my lawful wife. I don’t like others tainting what is mine, so how is it wrong to be angry?”

His possessiveness sent shivers down Josie’s spine; hence, she restrained herself, “But… I somehow feel like Arnold Carter already knows about our marriage.”

Dexter wasn’t surprised; he was always prepared for everything. “It’s only a matter of time. before he finds out.”

Josie paused momentarily, realizing that henceforth, she was no longer just Josie-she would. also be known as Dexter’s wife. She couldn’t just behave however she wanted anymore.

When they returned to Mason Garden, the lights were still on, and Marilyn was dozing off in the living room.

Chapter 172 A Night Spent Together

Startled by the noise, she quickly approached them. “What time is it? It’s already three in the morning. Where did you two go?”

Caught off guard, Josie exchanged a glance with Dexter. “I… I was accompanying Dex for

some matters.”

Marilyn grew suspicious. “You got me worried. I thought something had happened.”

“Marilyn, you don’t have to wait for us; your body needs rest. Go to bed early, alright,” Dexter calmly stated, unbothered to explain further.

Seeing them, Marilyn felt reassured. However, as they headed upstairs, she grabbed Josie’s hand and whispered, “Did you two have a fight?”

Stunned by her abrupt question, Josie fiddled with her fingers awkwardly and stammered, “…No, we didn’t.”

but you

didn’t show up. you, “Don’t lie to me. Dex came back in the evening and waited for Then he went out driving again. Tell me the truth, did the two of you have a fight?” Marilyn insisted.

Josie was surprised. She hadn’t expected that Dexter would make an effort to find her. “Um… I guess so.”

Marilyn smiled, her attention fixated on the red mark on Josie’s neck. “A little quarrel can spice things up. It shows that Dex likes you. Now go to sleep.”

Josie blushed. She had never even considered that Dexter would have an interest in her. Marilyn was bold to think that way.

Josie became somewhat self-conscious when sharing the same room again. But unlike the sizzling air from before in Carter’s resting lounge, the space in between them appeared more tranquil since Dexter didn’t seem to have any intentions to pursue further. He lay beside her and said, “Let’s sleep.”

Josie couldn’t help but think that if they had continued earlier, she might have been willing to oblige. After all these years, she wasn’t ignorant about matters between a man and a woman. Besides, Dexter had good looks and an incredible physique. She wouldn’t have been at a loss either way.

“Okay,” Josie responded, listening to the gentle breaths from the man beside her.

In the darkness, after a while, the man’s large hand reached for her neck, drawing closer with a gentle touch. “Sleep.”

Josie silently chuckled. Dexter’s arm was incredibly soft, more comfortable than a pillow. She turned to her side and said, “Goodnight, Dexter.”

“Goodnight.”

The following day, Josie believed that Dexter had already left. Still, to her surprise, she found his sleeping face beside her when she opened her eyes. Sensing her movement, he slowly lifted his eyelids, his voice husky from waking up. “You’re awake?”

They were still in the same position as the previous night. Josie boldly touched his furrowed brows. “Is your hand sore?”

Dexter seemed to have just remembered his hand and attempted to move it, furrowing his brows with a slight smile. “It’s numb.”

She couldn’t help but laugh, quickly sitting up. “It’s still early. Are you having breakfast at home today?”

Dexter nodded while stretching his arms, thinking about the day’s schedules.

“What do you want to eat? I’ll ask Marilyn to prepare it.”

“Whatever you want. I’ll have the same as you,” Dexter got up and headed to the bathroom to freshen up. Josie happily descended the stairs, her smile never fading.

His way of being affectionate was peculiar, but she understood that it was his own way of expressing care for her.

After breakfast, Dexter put on his coat, heading to Russell Group. Josie stood on tiptoes and helped him tie his tie, asking in a mellifluous voice, “Can I go with you? I find the house too boring.”

Dexter squinted and glanced at her arm. “When can you have the cast removed?”

She thought for a moment. “Another week.”

“I’ll accompany you then and take the opportunity to visit your father,” Dexter replied.

Josie jumped with joy, her mind racing. “You didn’t refuse me!”

Dexter made a soft grunt and walked straight toward the outside of the villa. Autumn had arrived, with the leaves of the phoenix trees turning yellow and forming a beautiful, connected landscape. The panoramic scene before them was breathtaking, and the air felt refreshing.

Chapter 173 Getting Bribed

Josie trailed behind him, brimming with joy and energy.

While Dexter attended to business matters in the car the was bored and took selfies with her phone Accidentally, he ended up in the frame, and the unexpected harmony of the picture surprised her. She saved it and set it to private viewing only.

Entering the office with Dexter, the secretaries found her presence peculiar She quickly explained. “Oh, hi! I’m here for work.”

That explanation seemed reasonable, and no one dwelled on it further except for Ivy Miller. She was well aware of the relationship between the two and couldn’t help but feel a twinge of sadness.

Did he really have to bring her along everywhere, even for work?

Taking a deep breath, she glanced at the woman seated in the reception area, engrossed in her phone, before approaching Dexter. “Mr. Russell.”

“Speak, Dexter responded.

Ivy hesitated, her words caught in her throat.

Dexter quickly grasped what she meant, casting a gentle gaze at Josie. “She can know whatever you’re about to tell me.”

“But, Mr. Russell… it’s really not appropriate, Ivy voiced her concerns.

Previously, Ivy believed that she and Dexter were the only ones who shared common topics within the Russell Group. Though their discussions revolved around work, they were primarily commercial secrets. It was like sharing something intimate with Dexter. However, now there was someone else who took that privilege from her.

Sensing the tense atmosphere, Josie snapped back to reality. “Should I step outside?”

Dexter’s expression turned grim, prompting Ivy to restrain herself. She took a deep breath and spoke solemnly, “There’s no need.”

“Mr. Russell, we have discovered that Mr. Yves has been accepting bribes. He had been living lavishly, going on luxury trips, but he shouldn’t be able to afford them with such a modest salary.”

“How much money was he bribed with?” Dexter pressed his temple

He sneered, “Thirty million. Arnold Carter sure is generous when it comes to such matters.”

At this point, Josie interjected, her keen perception catching onto the shift in the atmosphere. “Arnold probably wasn’t directly involved. That day at the hospital, Mr. Yves mentioned that they had only met once.” It was likely that Arnold had ordered one of his subordinates to carry out the act.

Upon hearing this, Dexter and Ivy turned their gaze toward her simultaneously.

Raising an eyebrow, Dexter asked, “You remember it so clearly. Are you trying to defend him?”

“What are you talking about? I’m just stating the facts, not trying to mislead you,” Josie replied fearlessly, unafraid of the consequences.

Ivy hadn’t expected that Josie would have a connection to Arnold Carter.

Dexter retracted his gaze. He asked, “Has he got anything to do with the car accident?”

Ivy froze, gritting her teeth. “Yes, we discovered he had a romantic relationship with Claire Wilcher, and she’s pregnant.”

“Gather the evidence,” Dexter’s expression turned cold. “compile it and send it to his wife.”

“Alright.”

Ivy paused momentarily before continuing, “We are already preparing to acquire Landon. Should we reassess the background of all personnel involved?”

“No need. That is Arnold Carter’s last resort; he has no hidden moves left.”

“Why do you think so?”

“At this very moment, he’s in London, feeling the heat of the situation,” Dexter spoke calmly, a glint of malice crossing his eyes. “Assassins prefer to strike in autumn because the wind is strong, and blood dries quickly.”

After concluding the work report, Ivy passed by Josie, taking a deep breath. Two of her best cards were wasted because of Josie. She couldn’t help but feel a great sense of resentment towards her.

“Ms. Warren, what would you like to drink?”

Josie sensed a hint of stubbornness from her stern expression, understanding its meaning as women naturally do. She responded with a hint of playfulness, “Thank you, Ms. Miller. Just water will do.”

Ivy didn’t reply and turned away, leaving the room.

Josie tapped her leg with her fingers, reflecting on the few encounters with Ivy. It seemned that Ivy did not like her.

Chapter 174 Dexter Might Not Like Me

She turned her gaze, propping herself against the couch to observe Dexter. The morning light streamed through the tall windows, casting a golden glow upon his brow. Josie finally understood why people said that men dedicated to their work were the most attractive.

She pondered for a moment but refrained from voicing her thoughts.

Ivy returned to the secretary’s office, and several people noticed her troubled expression. They couldn’t help asking, “What’s wrong? Did Mr. Russell lose his temper?”

“I would rather he lose his temper, honestly,” Ivy forced a smile. “it’s nothing.”

She was walking towards the pantry to pour water when her phone rang. Glancing at the caller ID, she immediately answered, lowering her voice to reprimand, “What do think you’re doing?”

you

The person on the other end said something, further infuriating Ivy. “I simply asked you to

stop

her from attending that meeting. And you hired someone to crash into her with a damn car? Things wouldn’t have turned out like this if you weren’t so stupid!”

“You dare blame me now? Blame yourself for giving me a handle. I wouldn’t have had a chance to threaten you if you hadn’t gotten yourself all over that man.”

“I can’t do this anymore. Mr. Russell’s given strict orders. Both of you are finished,” Ivy sneered. “Don’t you ever call me again.”

The person on the other end became hysterical, continuing to argue. Ivy’s anger rose, her chest heaving. “Claire Wilcher! Stop making a scene, would you? Go ahead, report me. Let’s see if Mr. Russell believes you or believes in me.”

With that, she abruptly ended the call, only to notice water overflowing onto the floor. Snapping back to reality, she picked up the cup and turned around, but at that moment, she saw a figure standing at the doorway, causing her to take a step back in fright.

Leaning against the door, Josie shrugged innocently. “Oh, Ms. Miller, you were taking too long grabbing that glass of water. I thought I could save you the trouble and come over myself. Hope you don’t mind.”

Ivy’s heartbeat hammered repeatedly, and she quivered, “…You heard.”

Her voice tightened, and Josie laughed, her body trembling with mocked amusement. However, a seething rage was consuming her inside. “I never expected that you were the one that was behind all these, Ms. Miller. You disguised it so well, without a single flaw.”

Unlock succeeded

bed the water cup, her face turn

Wilcher out of it. I had no part in what happened.”

“I believe you,” Josie responded quickly.

“You… you believe me?” Ivy’s voice cracked, unable to believe her words.

“Not only do I believe you, but I believe Dexter will also believe you. After all,

you truly didn’t do anything.” Josie took slow steps forward, evading Ivy’s personal space with each step. “And aside from that, you have helped me when things happened. Even though I’m now aware you were the one that started all these, neither he nor I have any reason to blame you.”

Her placid understanding made Ivy even more anxious, her breathing quickening. “What do you want?”

“I don’t want anything,” Josie paced around her slowly. “I won’t dwell on this matter or tell Dexter. But I want you to know—”

“Now that I’m already married to him, and it’s a done deal, you should stop your pointless struggle. I value my life and don’t want to lose my life for some foolish reasons,” she raised her voice, her tone heavy. “Dexter doesn’t like you and might not like me either. But until everything is over, please refrain from plotting against me, alright? Let’s just do our jobs as well as we should. What do you think?”

Ivy stared intently at her cunning face, gritting her teeth. “I don’t believe it. There’s no way you haven’t developed feelings for him. He’s such a perfect man.”

Josie paused, then smiled as if that were indeed the case.

Chapter 175 A Light Kiss

“So what? Look at yourself. You love and care for him so much, but what do you have to show for it? Has he ever reciprocated or shown the same feelings for you?”

Ivy’s heart sank as Josie’s words hit her like a dagger.

Still grappling with the hurt, Ivy pressed on, needing confirmation, “Are you sure you’re not catching feelings for him?”

Frustrated with Ivy’s ongoing doubts and insecurity, Josie impulsively snatched the glass of water from her hand and walked off without a word.

“Josie!”

Ivy suddenly called out, her voice trailing behind, “And what about him? Does he have any feelings for you?”

Ivy couldn’t ignore the red flags raised by Dexter’s recent behavior.

Josie pursed her lips and said, “I don’t know.”

She wasn’t quite sure how to maneuver this delicate love triangle, assuming that giving Ivy a forewarning as such would be enough. Despite Ivy’s strong affection for Dexter and her desire to remain close to him, somehow, Josie knew that Ivy wouldn’t act impulsively and target her.

At this point, Josie was certain that Ivy wouldn’t pose any threat to her safety.

Dexter had a meeting in the afternoon. When he returned, he couldn’t find Josie in his office. He furrowed his brow and walked into the lounge, where he discovered her sleeping on the couch.

This girl must have been tired from staying up late last night.

A twinge of sympathy tugged at him. Dexter grabbed a thin blanket and gently draped it over her, only to find that his well-intentioned action roused the light sleeper.

Feeling parched, Josie yawned and mumbled, “Ah, you’re back…”

Dexter lowered his gaze, “Why didn’t you sleep in the room?”

Josie was abashed, “I said I’d keep you company while you work. Look at me… ended dozing off. Oops.”

Unlock succeeded

ad that you knew

He

Glad

up

and handed it to her.

Josie took it, surprised. “How did you know I was thirsty?”

“Your lips are dry.” He shrugged casually, glanced at her quickly, and moistened his lips. In an instant, a wave of restlessness washed over him. He furrowed and averted his gaze.

Josie quenched her thirst and smiled as she asked, “Are you done? Can we go home already?”

Dexter chuckled, “You’re like a little kid counting the minutes until class is over.”

She laughed, “That’s exactly how I was back in school. When the bell rang, I would race out of the classroom!”

Dexter’s smile gradually faded. He couldn’t help but think of Leanne. When Leanne was still around, she was just like Josie. She wasn’t keen on academics and always needed a push to focus on her studies. To Leanne, nothing was more important than having fun.

He instinctively asked, “How were your grades back then?”

“Dol even need to say? I always ranked first in my class, alright!” Josie raised her thumb, beaming with pride.

Dexter tugged at his lips, masking a hint of agony in his heart. He stood up, saying, “I need another two hours, and then we can wrap up the work and go home.”

“Dexter!”

Before Dexter could walk away, Josie suddenly called out to him. He turned around and saw. her leaping over. The next second, he felt a peck on his lips, with her delicate hands cupped on his cheeks, “I’ll be right here waiting for you.”

Dexter’s heart raced. Although it was just a superficial peck on the lips, it sent butterflies fluttering inside him.

He ran his fingers across his lips, a surprised smile forming, “You’ve got some nerve.”

The culprit beamed a mischievous grin at him, delighted with the success of her playful act.

In the following days, Josie stopped accompanying Dexter at the Russell Group. It was too ostentatious and boring, not nearly as exciting as her modeling gigs.

But no matter how busy Dexter was, he always came home in the evening and slept beside her. His arm would be her designated pillow cushioned under her head, providing a sense of security. Josie couldn’t help but feel distressed at the thought that his tenderness might fade one day, leaving her deeply saddened.

The mere thought of that day approaching caused her present sense of happiness to fade suddenly, replaced by a hollow emptiness.

Only then did she grasp the meaning of ‘extreme joy often leads to profound pain.

Chapter 176 He Rushed Back

In the blink of an eye, a week had gone by. It was time for Josie to have her plaster cast removed. In the early morning. Marilyn had been busy preparing the necessity and

accompanying Josie to the hospital. Meanwhile, Josie sat at the dining table, absentmindedly picking at her breakfast.

Last night, Dexter messaged her, telling her not to wait as he would pull an all-nighter at an important business function. But now it was morning, and he still hadn’t returned.

Didn’t they agree that he would go with her to the hospital?

“What’s the matter, Jo? You look so down. Is something bothering you?” Marilyn noticed Josie’s expression. She was concerned and quickly sat beside her.

Josie mustered a smile, “Oh, it’s nothing. You’ve been taking care of me all this time. Once I fully recover, you’ll have to return to Russell Mansion. I just feel a bit sad about you leaving

so soon.”

Josie’s words brought a smile to Marilyn’s face.

She let out a doting sigh and gently clasped Josie’s hand, saying, “I like you a lot too. But Old Mr. Russell needs someone to look after him back home. I must return to him after leaving him alone for so long.”

Josie nodded, understanding the responsibility.

“In these past few days. I’ve seen how your relationship with Dex has evolved. He’s not someone who articulates or easily acknowledges his feelings. To be frank, his aloof and distant nature makes it even harder for him to fall in love.” Marilyn said earnestly. Josie muttered in her heart, ‘But he has someone special in his heart, someone he cares deeply about.”

he’ll “But Dex likes you, and that’s the most important thing. Don’t worry, when he likes you, go above and beyond to please you. Even if it means reaching for the impossible. Just trust him, Jo. Although it might be challenging at times, just know that everything will work out. If possible, please bear with his occasional bouts of anger.”

Marilyn’s well-meaning advice stirred a bittersweet feeling in Josie’s heart. She nodded gratefully and said, “Thanks, Marilyn, I will remember that.”

However, a nagging worry lingered in Josie’s mind that she might disappoint Marilyn’s expectations and trust.

Aware that she was running behind schedule for her hospital appointment, Josie grew

ed and decided not to wait any longer Unlock succeeded

Just as they were about to leave the premises, they spotted Dexter’s Porsche approaching from a distance. Marilyn exclaimed, “There! Dex is back!”

Surprised, a flicker of joy illuminated Josie’s eyes as she rushed towards the car and grabbed the door handle. “Dexter!”

Despite the fatigue evident in his furrowed brows, as if he hadn’t slept all night, Dexter’s weariness dissipated when he saw Josie. He beamed and said, “You shouldn’t be running with your injury.”

“Why did you come back so late?” Josie ignored his scrutiny and quizzed him.

“The business negotiation went on throughout the night,”

Josie sniffed, “And you’ve been drinking.”

“Mm. Just a bit.”

She believed him because, given his status, not many people dared to pressure him into drinking. On the contrary, these people should count their blessings that he didn’t chug booze down on them and make them go on a wild bender.

Dexter pushed open the car door and motioned for her to get in, “Come on in. We should head to the hospital now.”

Josie nodded eagerly. After waiting all morning, she was overjoyed as her anticipation was finally fulfilled!

Upon arriving at the hospital, they found a considerable crowd and had to wait in line. Josie held onto Dexter’s hand as they sat in the corridor.

Holding Josie’s appointment card, Dexter had attracted envious glances directed at Josie with his striking good looks.

“Was it the Landon case that kept you in an all-night discussion?” She pried.

With evident fatigue in his eyes that softened his typically imposing demeanor, “You could say that. It’s got something to do with the Ardon family.”

No wonder the discussion lasted all night; it must be related to the political sphere.

Josie felt a tinge of concern.

“Will you be implicated and investigated by the police? These cases aren’t trivial. I’ve heard similar cases where the police would dig through several generations of the family.”

Dexter chuckled at her innocent remark. He reclined, finally able to unwind after a night of

work. “Not at all. They won’t find anything on me. But Arnold will be in deep sh*t for what he’s done.”

To put it bluntly. Josie knew that Dexter wouldn’t let Arnold off the hook for his actions. He would ensure that Arnold faced the consequences of his crimes without suffering any losses to himself.

Chapter 177 Promotion to Director

As they waited, Josie leaned closer and quizzed, “What’s the deal with the Ardon farmily?”
The queue was crawling along, and soon, a nurse approached them. She politely said, “Mr. Russell, the hospital director mentioned that you could bypass the protocol. Please let me know if you need immediate attention, and F’ll make the necessary arrangements.”

Her words were veiled, but Dexter and Josie understood.
Dexter glanced at the crowd and declined with a wave of his hand, “No need for that. We’ll wait like everyone else.”
The nurse nodded and moved on.
Josie always thought he would take advantage of his status and seek special treatment, but today, his humility surprised her. Sitting beside him, she couldn’t help but admire Dexter’s down-to-earth attitude.
She gave him a thumbs-up, to which he simply beamed and didn’t say anything else.
Then, in a hushed voice, Dexter shifted back to their previous conversation, “The higher authorities have their sights set on them. The Ardon family is definitely going to face severe consequences this time.”
No wonder Arnold would also be in trouble. These intricate and complex webs of interests were bound to have far-reaching repercussions.
Dexter’s weary face carried a sense of ease, signaling that he was content. It seemed like victory was well within his reach.
At last, it was Josie’s turn. The doctor glanced at her X-ray and prepared to remove the cast. The process didn’t take long; throughout it, Dexter stood faithfully by her side, his gaze patient and unwavering.
Afterwards, Josie flexed her limbs as the cast came off, feeling significantly at ease and comfortable.
Her heart skipped a beat when they locked eyes.
For years, she had grown accustomed to being independent, going to school alone, eating out by herself, and even visiting doctors unaccompanied. She had managed so much on her own. But now, with him beside her, she felt an overwhelming sense of security.

The doctor briefed her on post-care instructions. On the side, Dexter stealthily committed the doctor’s reminders to memory. Then, they left the hospital together.
“Who would have expected the busy and esteemed Mr. Russell would personally accompany me for a follow-up check at the hospital, Josie quipped, playfully trailing behind him. Now that the cast was removed, she could move more freely.

Dexter joined the banter with a smirk, “Who knew the esteemed Mr. Russell doesn’t need someone to feed him but can eat on his own.”
His impromptu cheesy comeback made her burst into laughter.
Once they got in the car, Dexter casually handed her a document.
“What’s this?” Josie opened it and realized it was a contract-an appointment letter for her as the new director of the design department.
“Dexter…”
The man rubbed his temple and uttered, “Yeah, that’s for you.”
“… But why promote me now? You realize it’s going to stir up gossip and speculation about our relationship, right?”
“You’ve helped the company secure the Sylmark project. It’s a major win! Plus, no one in the department is more qualified for this position than you.”
Dexter looked into her eyes and said, “Josie, I believe in you.”
No extravagant expressions were needed, just a sincere and straightforward declaration of trust. Yet, it lifted Josie’s spirits to cloud nine.
Dexter’s opinion had a significant effect on her sense of self-worth and overall happiness.
“Your trust means a lot to me.”
He raised an eyebrow and flashed a radiant smile. Seeing Josie’s smile and happiness made him happy too.
After the cast was removed, Josie headed to the Russell Group to report for her new role the next day.
At the office, Alice was the first to congratulate Josie on her promotion. She gave Josie a bear hug as she exclaimed, “Congratulations, Jo! I’m so happy for you!”

Almost out of breath, Josie interrupted Alice from her over-expression. “Okay, okay. This is getting embarrassing. People are staring at us.”
Alice released her and glanced back at the curious onlookers in the department
“Let them! You’re the department director now. There’s no doubt that you are well qualifed for this role! And who dares to say otherwise?”
A woman walked by and jeered. Tsk. Who knows how long you’ll last
It was one of Claire’s teammates.
Alice wanted to fire back, but Josie held her back. She shook her head at Alice and replied the woman. “Only time will tell

Chapter 178 Outwitted by Jesse

Since taking on her new role, Josie had been swamped with work every single day. Dexter was equally busy, and they hadn’t seen each other in a few days.

Alice, being the person in charge of a brand collaboration and the progress of an advertisement, had been pestering Josie, “Why don’t you come with me? Jesse Abbott, the famous celebrity, will be participating in the ad shoot.”

The name rang a bell in Josie, “Oh? Is Jesse Abbott a guy or a woman?”

“It’s a woman,” Alice whispered, “and there were rumors that she was dating Mr. Russell after they walked the red carpet together at an awards ceremony. The media exploded the next day, dubbing her his alleged girlfriend.”

Josie cringed at the idea of Dexter having a rumored girlfriend, “For real?”

“Who knows? But I bet she’d be dying to claim Mr. Russell hers since she’s been crushing on him.”

Unable to resist Alice’s persuasion, Josie then reluctantly agreed to visit her at the filming site once her work ended.

The shooting location was in a commercial district, so she brought a cup of hot cocoa on the

way.

When Josie saw Jesse, she finally remembered that she used to take on Jesse’s project to design an apartment when she was still a junior designer.

At that time, Josie busied herself with sketching for a solid two weeks, but in the end, Jesse abruptly terminated the project.

Consequently, Jesse’s action infuriated Josie. Filled with anger, she took to the Internet to expose Jesse’s exploitation of her professional work. The online community rallied behind Josie, leading to a significant backlash against Jesse.

Josie never expected to reencounter Jesse, let alone see her rise to fame as a well-known celebrity.

Upon hearing the story, Alice felt sympathy and resentment for Josie. She couldn’t help and shot a disdainful glance at Jesse, who was busy posing for the camera. With a resentful tone, Alice remarked, “Yeah, she may have good looks, but her vanity and thirst for attention make me gag.”

was the only one bold enough to express her disdain.

Sensing the piercing gaze of Jesse’s manager from afar, Josie immediately signaled for Alice to tone it down and maintain a low-key demeanor to avoid any potential offense.

Alice, known for her quick wit, devised a mischievous plan. She nonchalantly settled at the director’s computer, offering comments that appeared objective and casually constructive. Little did they know, she was up to no good, covertly attempting to sabotage Jesse. Much to everyone’s surprise, the director adopted Alice’s suggestions and had Jesse redo several takes.

As a result, Jesse’s cheeks were sore from the prolonged filming, and her annoyance became evident as she lost her composure.

“Hey, are you friends with the director?” Jesse approached and scrutinized Alice.

Alice grinned and said slyly, “Oh, not at all. But it seems like the director found my suggestions useful. You probably thought so, too, right?”

Josie almost burst out laughing at Alice’s witty comeback.

Finally given a twenty-minute break, Jesse skipped resting and went straight to Alice without bothering to take even a sip of water, “Do I know you?”

“Huh? Uh… Nope,” Alice was taken aback by Jesse’s sudden question. She blinked her eyes, pretending innocence with acting skills that surpassed those of movie stars.

“Are you one of my haters, then?” Jesse probed with suspicion.

Her crude questioning left everyone cringing, including Alice and the crew members w earshot.

Jesse took a deep breath, attempting to compose herself. She glanced around and caught sight of Josie, who had remained silent throughout.

Narrowing her eyes, Jesse felt a surge of unpleasant memories rushing back.

I remember this woman! She was the reason I got backlash from the netizen and accused me of being cheap for canceling the project! Jesse thought to herself bitterly.

Josie locked eyes with Jesse and calmly responded, “What a coincidence. Never thought we’d cross paths again, Ms. Abbott.”

Jesse’s gaze shifted between Alice and Josie; her hands balled into fists.

Having experienced the highs and lows of the entertainment industry, she contained the shame and fury. She remarked, “Well, if that’s what you say, then I can only thank you for the coffee treat you’re offering everyone here. Let’s see… there are about twenty of us here.

Alice was caught off guard by Jesse’s unexpected response. Unaware of the underlying tension, the surrounding crew cheered, buying into Jesse’s claim that Josie would treat them to coffee.

“You…!” Alice exclaimed, annoyance and embarrassment coursing through her. On the other hand, Jesse couldn’t help but flash a triumphant smirk at her defeated foes.

To Josie and Alice’s dismay, they were put in a checkmate and outwitted by Jesse.

Chapter 179 Scalded

Josie quickly grabbed Alice’s arm, intervening and agreeing resignedly, “It’s alright, the treat is on me. No big deal.”

She didn’t want to make a fuss about it since it would reflect poorly on Alice and her if they insisted on refusing.

Alice understood Josie’s concern and refrained from arguing. She cheekily whispered a snarky comment about Jesse in Josie’s car. Alice had prompted a chuckle from Josie, apparently amused by Alice’s remark.

“I’ll go with you.”

“It’s fine. I can handle it.”

The commercial area had plenty of coffee shops. Josie bundled up in layers of coats, shielding herself from the severe chilly wind gusts.

At the coffee shop, she ordered an array of coffee flavors.

Cup after cup of beverages was handed to Josie by the barista, who was surprised when Josie singled out a specific cup, marked it differently from the others and left it with the lid open to cool.

Before returning to the filming site, she was given a large foam box to ease the inconvenient transporting task by herself.

But even with a large foam box at her disposal, it was still quite a challenge to handle over twenty cups by herself….

Being petite and slender, the sight of her hugging a huge box filled with cups of beverages was comical. She resembled a silly baby penguin as she waddled through the gusts of wind.

With her injury only partially healed, the task became even more difficult. As a result, she caught the attention of many onlookers passing by.

Upon reaching the filming site, Josie took a pit stop to catch her breath. Feeling embarrassed, she rubbed her nose, thinking she must have looked quite foolish in that situation.

Meanwhile, not far off, a Lincoln Limousine could be seen parked by the roadside. Arnold, clad in a casual outfit, stepped out of the car. However, he was startled as he spotted Josie in the distance. Following his gaze, Ivy was surprised and turned to Dexter in the back seat, saying, “Mr. Russell, isn’t that…?”

Back on set the mid-back director permitted Jesse and

A few crew members were chatting about heading out for a barbecue after filming

In the dressing room. Jesse was removing her makeup.

With her work badge hanging around her neck. Alice was casually killing time on her phone and intermittently glancing at the clock, wondering why Josie was taking so long.

Jesse sat quietly as the makeup artist applied makeup to her, stealing glances at Alice through

the mirror.

Suddenly, Jesse’s manager, Ms. Hattie, barged into the room. Slyly glancing at the woman playing on her phone, she patted Jesse’s shoulder and whispered in her ear,

Jesse appeared stunned at Ms. Hattie’s information, “Are you sure?”

Ms. Hattie bobbed her head affirmatively.

A covert glint flickered in Jesse’s eyes as she shoved the makeup artist aside. Then, she grabbed her lipstick and eyebrow pencil and swiftly touched up her makeup.

Amidst the chaotic scene, she asked Ms. Hattie, “How do I look?”

Ms. Hattie wiped off her smudged eyeliner with her finger, “You look great. Just relax and be confident.”

With that assurance, Jesse straightened up, lifted her skirt, and rushed out in a hurry.

She even forgot to grab her coat.

Amid the commotion, Ms. Hattie caught wind of Dexter’s arrival at the filming site and hurriedly relayed the news to Jesse.

Startled by the gust of wind created by Jesse’s hurried dash, Alice paused her phone activity, astonished to see Jesse sprint off impulsively. She swiftly stashed her phone away and trailed after Jesse.

Jesse was in a state of frenzy, her heart thumping with impatience. She couldn’t wait to see Dexter. The crimson hue on her face revealed her deep infatuation for the man who had captured her heart.

Caught up in her romantic fantasies and infatuation, Jesse was oblivious to her surroundings. Turning a corner, she unintentionally crashed into someone, resulting in a stumble. It was only then that she realized she was drenched in hot liquid!

“Ah!”

A shocked scream escaped her in sheer disbelief!

The commotion caught everyone’s attention.

The tantalizing scent of coffee filled the air, and as they turned to see what was happening, they were stunned at Jesse’s sorry state.

Her clothes were soaked in brown liquid, and her delicate skin had turned a fiery red from the scalding.

Tears streamed down Jesse’s face without a sign of stopping, a testament to the intense pain she was experiencing.

Chapter 180 He Didn't Help Her

A crowd rushed forward. Meanwhile, Josie frantically cleaned up the spill with a pack of tissues, “I’m sorry, I didn’t notice…

Just then, Ivy exclaimed from the corner, “What’s happening here?”

Dexter and Arnold, who had been following Ivy, went pale at the sight. Dexter quickly withdrew his hand from his pocket and came forward.

Clueless about the preceding events, Dexter was shocked to see Jesse shoving Josie away tearfully. “What is wrong with you? I was just joking with you. Do you have to spill hot coffee all over me? You’re so mean!”

With a believable despair demeanor, Jesse presented herself as a victim, effectively winning over everyone’s trust and support.

Alice elbowed her way through the crowd and grabbed Josie’s arm, her voice filled with disbelief. “Jo, did you really…?”

Josie’s anger boiled up, and she forcefully shrugged off Alice’s grip, “No, I didn’t. She ran into

me!”

Ms. Hattie, with a keen eye, noticed Dexter and seized the chance to point fingers at Josie, “Seriously? How could someone be so despicable as you? Jesse didn’t wrong you; you’re despicable for trying to ruin her!”

Josie stood bewildered, “Instead of blaming me, shouldn’t you hurry up and send her to the hospital?”

Ms. Hattie’s eyes burned with fury as she raised her hand at Josie, “Don’t you dare tell me what to do or try to reason with me!”

Just then, someone intervened, stopping her hand in mid-air. A deep voice commanded, “Leave her alone.”

The crowd fell silent. Alice shielded Josie, her voice trembling, “Mr. Carter…?”

But Josie noticed another man standing nearby…

But that tall and handsome man didn’t even spare her a glance. He walked up to Jesse, removed his coat, and draped it over her, “Let’s get you to the hospital first.”

Jesse was taken aback, clearly surprised to see him. She instantly adopted an inferior demeanor as if she had been bullied. Mr. Russell? Why are you…

The surroundings erupted in chaos.

Regardless of the reason for Dexter’s presence at the filming site, his actions seemed to validate the circulating rumors about him dating Jesse.

Dexter said calmly, “I’ve asked Ivy to take care of the rest. Let’s head to the hospital now,”

He glanced at Josie before addressing Ms. Hattie, “You’re coming with us.”

Withstanding the pain, Jesse shot a devious glance at Josie and hastily clung to the man’s arm, “Mr. Russell, I need you. Please keep me company at the hospital.”

There was a brief pause before Dexter retracted her arm and patted her shoulder, “Sure.”

Another wave of commotion ensued.

Everyone exchanged incredulous glances.

Josie finally averted her gaze, along with a flicker of hope vanished from her eyes… as if she had lost hope in Dexter.

Could the rumors be true? Is Dexter really dating Jesse?

Josie couldn’t shake off the feeling that Dexter and Jesse were the perfect fairytale couple destined for each other. At the same time, she was left playing the villainous character who interfered in their love story, despised by all.

Jesse was the subject of admiration, yet she was stranded with malicious accusations.

Dexter and Jesse had left.

“Anyone who dares to spread gossip about what happened today will have to deal with me!” Arnold’s sharp gaze swept across the crowd, eventually settling on Alice. “Come with me.”

Arnold projected an air of dominance and authority. Even someone as bold and courageous as Alice felt a tremor in his presence. She squeezed Josie’s hand reassuringly and said, “Don’t worry, I’ll be back soon.”

Then, she set off with Arnold.

As they tidied up the set, some nosy crew members couldn’t resist gossiping about the incident.

Josie stood there, feeling isolated and disheartened.

With a detached demeanor, she picked up some tools to clean up the mess.

Her long hair cascaded down, partially obscuring her ashen face.