Blind Date Turned Proposal by Mr. Adeel

Description of Novels
Author:
Mr Adeel
Title: Blind Date Turned Proposal Ra Genre: Romance
Language: English Read Online Pages: Ongoing

On the day of the blind date, the man turned out to be fat, short, and greasy! What could she do but run? Josie Warren was about to escape when the man at the next table stopped her. Why was this man so familiar? He… he was her immediate superior, Dexter Russell, a rich tycoon worth millions! What he said next surprised her immensely. “Josie, what about marrying me?” Marriage? Had Dexter been crushing on her for years? Did he set up this blind date to accidentally bump into her? Only highly skilled hunters would appear like prey. So why not! He had the looks and the money, after all. Josie acted on it instead of thinking about it. “Sure! Let’s get married! I will do as you wish and

Chapter 211 The Reality of Being a Married Couple

Dexter held her waist and heard her rapid breathing. He let out a short laugh.

His voice was raspy. “I saw the jasmine flowers.”

Before Josie could answer, he kissed her again. This time, more fervently. When he reached down and carried her, his eyes were clearly lustful. She intuitively felt what was going to happen tonight.

When they touched each other, it was as if they were electrocuted.

The man said to her hoarsely in the dim light. “We have time tonight. No one will disturb us.”

Josie felt shy yet impatient. Her face was burning. “Don’t say anything!”

Therefore, Dexter worked his lips differently. He removed her clothes and picked her up around the waist before rushing up the stairs.

He locked the door of the master bedroom. Josie knew she couldn’t avoid it tonight.

Dexter was a strong man in every way. His body was scorching, and he turned Josie around to face him.

“Are you afraid?”

Josie gritted her teeth. “No.”

She could feel that Dexter was strained, but he did everything slowly out of consideration for her. He was extremely gentle. It was initially hard for her to adapt, and she even resisted slightly, but she quickly started to enjoy herself.

Ultimately, she ascended while pulling herself up on his arm. When she calmed down, there were tears in her eyes. The man was taken aback. “Does it hurt?

Josie was silent. She didn’t say anything for a long time, and Dexter panicked. He wanted to check on her when she said indistinctly, “We’ve overstepped boundaries, Dexter.”

She couldn’t see Dexter’s face clearly in the dark. His eyelids drooped, and his clothes were half undone. It revealed his sensuous collarbone and Adam’s apple. He looked extremely enticing.

“Do you regret it?”

Josie didn’t answer. He didn’t know what she was thinking about.

After some time, Dexter finally moved. He wanted to turn and leave the bed, but she grabbed his wrist. He looked over, Josie’s firm gaze was at the end of her delicate and fair wrists.

He was perplexed.

Josie felt like she was a particle of dust floating in the light. She was slowly sinking into his dark gaze.

She took the initiative to wrap herself around his neck, and her lips approached his. She could see every fine hair on his face. She was always so flustered every time they touched. How is this man so handsome?

The Reality of Being a Married Couple

Dexter suddenly turned from passive to aggressive when Josie’s lips touched his. He held her tightly, almost devouring her with his lips. His savage demeanor was faintly revealed.

This was the authentic Dexter.

After a night of pleasure, they hugged each other when they awoke the next day.

Josie woke up early and looked up at him. She used her fingers to caress his chiseled face. She was satisfied and elated.

At this time, Dexter’s personal cell phone, which was by the bed, rang. Josie shivered from fright. He turned around casually as he woke up but didn’t answer the call. He let it ring.

Josie pushed him. “Aren’t you going to pick up?”

He caught her fingers but didn’t open his eyes. “Answer it for me.”

The phone rang unrelentingly. Josie gritted her teeth and picked up the cell phone. She saw that it was noted as a long-distance call. “It seems like it’s a call from London. Should I answer it?”

Dexter had opened his eyes and was sizing her up. “I bet you don’t dare to.”

“Why not?” Josie was provoked. She answered the call and put it on speakerphone.

“Mr. Russell.” It was a bleak voice that sounded slightly broken.

No one answered.

The other party could only continue. Their voice trembled slightly. “I heard from Laura that you’re married. Is that true?”

Dexter still didn’t say anything. After a long time, Josie took a deep breath and said, “Yes.”

Chapter 212 As if They Are Madly in Love

When the other party heard a woman’s voice, they immediately fell silent. There was hurried breathing before they hung up.

Josie smiled and looked at the man on the bed. “Doesn’t your heart hurt?”

She was now half-clothed. As Dexter looked at her, the desire in his eyes grew. He pulled her to him again. and kissed her carefully. “My heart yearns for you instead.”

“Dexter! Be gentle… Don’t leave a mark!” Josie couldn’t struggle, so she could only cry out loud.

As the year drew to a close, each department in Russell Group was wrapping things up. Everything seemed peaceful.

Dexter started to be particularly busy since it was the end of the year. Not seeing him for a few days was expected since he often left the country.

He left for a week this time. His flight back was delayed, and he returned three hours later than expected. Josie had been waiting for him since she finished dinner. She couldn’t wait for him, so she fell asleep.

Dexter returned, exhausted. He saw Josie sleeping soundly as she lay on the couch, looking very serene.

The laptop before her showed that she had been working.

Dexter felt slightly distressed. He removed his coat and put it aside before carrying her to the bed. He took off her covering and tucked her in.

Josie was half awake when she heard the noise. Her voice was gentle yet hoarse. She murmured, “Was your flight delayed?”

Dexter answered softly as he touched her soft face.

The man’s scent overwhelmed her. “Why aren’t you sleeping on the bed?”

“I was waiting for you.” She couldn’t see well. She tried to rub her eyes, but he stopped her. His voice was even gentler. “What did you do for the past few days when I wasn’t around?”

“Helping you ensure nothing is wrong with the design department’s year-end closing.”

Dexter heard her dissatisfaction and smiled. “Thank you for your hard work, Mrs. Russell.”

Josie’s heart raced. It was as though she were really Mrs. Russell.

She held his hand. “It’s time for you to sleep, right?”

Dexter leaned close to her and kissed her neck softly. “I’ll pour you a glass of water before I sleep.”

Josie must have been exhausted. She didn’t even have the energy to answer. She turned her head to the side and mumbled, “No need.”

But Dexter still got up, poured her a glass of water, and put it on the bedside table where she could grab it casily.

As if They Are Madly in Love

It was past two in the morning when Dexter slept after his bath.

Josie awoke earlier than him the next day. As usual, she was composing herself as she sat on the bed when. someone held her hand lightly. She didn’t know when the man had awoken. He opened his eyes slightly. and her beautiful face was breathtakingly beautiful under the morning sunlight.

He reached out and pulled her forcefully. Josie was caught off guard and fell on him.

She was startled. “You’re awake. It’s so early.”

More importantly, he was in such a position so carly in the morning…

Dexter forcefully pulled her into his arms and touched her face. His voice was slightly raspy. “Why do I feel like you’ve lost weight after not seeing you for a few days?”

Josie disagreed and didn’t know what to say, so she kept quiet.

Dexter was dissatisfied with her attitude, and his smile dimmed. At the next moment, he started French kissing her.

He was aggressive in bed. Josie always felt afraid when she saw his burning gaze between their intimate actions. It wasn’t that she didn’t want it. It was just that she was exhausted when doing the deed with him. He was unrelenting when excited, and she suspected he would devour her whole.

Dexter poked Josie where she was ticklish, and she instinctively started laughing. She struggled, and the sensual air instantly dissipated.

Dexter was clearly startled. He sat up and raised his hand to massage the bridge of his nose. Dexter couldn’t do anything about it. He stroked her hair, “Please bring me my clothes…”

Chapter 213 Wavery News

It was as though Josie had been set free.

Ivy handled Russell Group’s annual meeting as usual. She worked neatly and tidily, making the proper arrangements. No one else had a say

It was too cold. Josie carried a stack of documents and walked into the department from the outside. Her hands were slightly red. Kevan, who was having a drink at the side, went up to her at once. “Let me help you, Ms. Jo.”

After working together for some time, he stopped calling her ‘Ms. Warren’ and called her ‘Ms. Jo’ instead. Josie didn’t turn him down. She smiled and let him help her.

Alice went to her and pointed at Kevan’s figure. She said meaningfully, “This fellow has potential and is willing to work. He’s a good kid.”

Josie pretended not to understand Alice’s implied meaning. “That’s right. I’m planning to take him along for the next project. He’s a good newcomer.”

Alice clicked her tongue and sighed. “Don’t tell me you didn’t understand what I meant. It’s trendy for older women and younger men to date these days. I think he has feelings for you.”

Josie felt exasperated, annoyed, and amused. She rolled her eyes. “Don’t joke around. I’m married. Why would I date a younger man?”

“Save it. You keep saying you’re married, but why haven’t I seen your husband? He has never picked you up from work. I’m even suspecting that you’re lying to me. Is he disabled, or does he not exist?”

Alice felt aggrieved as she spoke. She could tell that Josie felt guilty. I’m not lying… I’m really married. As for him being disabled…”

If she had known earlier, she wouldn’t have fabricated a disabled persona for her husband.

“Actually, you’ve met him.” Josie smiled craftily.

“Don’t talk nonsense. When have I seen him? Why don’t I remember?”

“In any case, you have.” Josie smiled and walked into her office. She didn’t say anything else, leaving Alice baffled.

The weather was cold, but the office was warm. Josie quickly warmed up as she sat in her seat and slacked off. Suddenly, a notification popped up on her cell phone. It was news reporting that Jesse Abbott had committed tax evasion.

Josie was startled. She opened Twitter and was shocked to see the Wavery News account tweet reporting that she had committed tax evasion.

Jesse was first on the trending topics. Everyone was surprised as they discussed it online.

‘Oh, my god. If I remember correctly, she just started to get famous.

“Tsk. Did she think she could keep it under wraps? She has pretty good resources on hand.’”

‘Russell Group was willing to pay a penalty to terminate her contract. It’s because of this

Jesse was immediately considered unscrupulous. The laws regarding celebrities have grown more constrained in recent years. They would be shut out of the industry if they did something unethical. Jesse would be utterly blacklisted now that it was reported in the news.

Josie held her cell phone and sighed. Ivy had previously told her that Dexter terminated Jesse’s contract because he had discovered Jesse’s illegal behavior. It was true, after all. It also meant that he wasn’t punishing Jesse for her sake.

She took a deep breath and was thankful she hadn’t made assumptions.

Someone said that Jesse had long been doing such things. Her company had tried to keep it under wraps but to no avail. It leaked out in the end.

So that’s the reason.

Josie leaned against the chair and looked at the snow outside the window. For some reason, she thought of Arnold. His smile was dazzling that snowy night..

He was also the one who kept warning her not to trust Dexter too much.

Everything was proving to be true, but what could she do? She had a fuzzy feeling in her heart when she thought of Dexter.

It was as if she had a sense of belonging.

Jesse didn’t have anything planned today, and she wouldn’t have any work schedule in the future.

Jesse was still asleep at noon. After calling multiple times without anyone answering, her manager went directly to her house. Before she broke Jesse’s door down. Jesse finally answered the phone. Her voice was weary. “Why are you here? I’ve already been shut out.”

Chapter 214 Doomed from the Start

“Open the door!”

Jesse went to open the door with messy hair and bloodshot eyes. Her manager caught a whiff of her and knew that she had gotten drunk the night before.

She poured a glass of water for her manager. “Do you want some alcohol?”

“Of course not!” The veins on her manager’s forehead protruded, and her manager threw her cell phone at Jesse. Things are crazy outside, but you’re in the mood to drink?!”

Jesse was startled. She opened Twitter but didn’t have to search. Her name in the real-time trending topics struck her, and her fingers suddenly trembled. She nervously clicked on the topics one by one.

Jesse Abbott’s tax evasion.”

‘Russell Group denounced Jesse Abbott for fabricating rumors.”

Jesse Abbott’s schemes.

The trends were too numerous to list.

“Wow, I remember back when there were rumors about Jesse and Dexter, Russell Group issued a statement. Does anyone remember? Jesse’s company actually wanted to imply that they were a couple. Isn’t it humiliating?”

‘She really sensationalized it, after all. I’m not going to be her fan any longer. I’m sad.

‘How embarrassing. Don’t you think that Jesse was very devious at the start? Don’t forget the dirt on her.

Jesse suddenly threw her cell phone violently on the floor. It fell with a piercing noise. She covered her mouth and shrieked. “Where is the public relations team? Do we still have money? Quickly pay to take these down!”

Her manager shouted, “Do you think I don’t know about public relations? The entire company is under pressure now. Would I be standing here if they could be taken down?”

Jesse was dumbstruck.

She cried bitterly. She was a greedy woman who had just wanted to grease her palms. She never her career would be ruined instead.

Her manager leaned closer, and her voice was terrifying. “Tell me honestly. Is there something you’re hiding from me? We didn’t threaten Dexter or sensationalize anything after speaking to Dexter in the parking lot that day. Why did he suddenly do such a thing?!”

Dexter’s maneuver was utterly merciless and highly sinister. After today, Jesse’s company would be ridiculed by the business world, and Jesse would completely disappear from the entertainment industry.

It was common to sensationalize rumors in the entertainment circle but uncommon for Dexter to personally expose Jesse.

It would have been better if it was someone ordinary, but he was Dexter! What could they do? They could only watch the situation develop.

They had tried their best not to let the news leak for the past few months but couldn’t keep it under wraps.

At that moment, Jesse wanted to pay to remove trending topics related to her. However, she was informed that someone was paying more to keep her trending topics as they were.

Who else can it be…

One could quickly become famous or fall from grace in the circle.

Jesse sat paralyzed on the floor against the wall. Her gaze dimmed slowly. “We were doomed from the

start.”

Perhaps they shouldn’t have used the man from the start.

She shouldn’t have taken advantage of Dexter’s popularity on the red carpet.

Nor should she have tried to cause a sensation by restraining him.

Or hired paid Internet posters to fabricate an ambiguous relationship between them.

All the times she had taken advantage of his popularity back then were backfiring on her now.

When did it start to change?

Jesse thought about it earnestly, and someone appeared in her mind…

Josie?

It seemed like Dexter had changed his mind about them sensationalizing the rumors. He didn’t want to silently acknowledge it any longer and started requesting them to stop.

But they didn’t. Instead, they continued doing it.

Is it because of that woman? Jesse covered her face with her hands and had a moment of enlightenment in hindsight.

Her manager walked to her and pulled her hands away. “Why are you crying? We’ve been through so much in these years. Get up!”

“There are many reporters downstairs. We can’t just sit around and accept our fate. You have many scandals now, but you can’t explain everything immediately. It’s not fair to only hear one side of the story!”

Chapter 215 Get a Divorce, Jo

“It’s useless… Jesse mumbled. “Dexter wants to ruin me.”

She even thought he had feelings for her after she was scalded.

The light had dawned. He had always treated her like a pawn, after all. He had used her to agitate other people and curry favor with that woman.

She had carried out her illegal behavior secretly. She wouldn’t be investigated if she didn’t leave tracks, but everything had happened so suddenly. There was no prior indication at all. Someone must have added fuel to the fire behind the scenes.

Not many men in Wavery had such authority as Dexter did. And the person she had offended was none other than Dexter.

Women always had accurate intuitions. It was painful for her to come to a conclusion.

Josie meant something to him.

It was almost the end of the year. Josie had settled virtually everything on her hands and wasn’t as busy anymore, so she started going to the hospital more frequently.

Her dad still hadn’t moved.

Josie sat in front of his hospital bed, and Matthew looked concerned.

“Jo, don’t worry so much. At least Mr. Warren’s vital signs are still stable.

“How can I not worry?” Josie felt defeated. “Once the new year starts, it’ll be his fourth year like this. What should I do if he doesn’t wake up?”

Matthew stood behind her and unconsciously reached his hand out. He wanted to pat her head and console her, but he didn’t dare do it in the end.

“Matt.” Josie suddenly thought of something. She turned to look at him. “Can I take my dad home for a while during New Year’s?”

Matthew was surprised. “Home? You can if you ensure that his medical equipment is sorted out, but as far as I know, your house…”

He wanted to say something but stopped. Ordinary families couldn’t afford the expensive hospitalization. fees, so most would look after the patient at home. Josie’s family couldn’t do so, so she had kept her dad at the hospital for the past few years.

“I can. I can make arrangements.” Josie decided. “Is that alright, Matt?”

Matthew sized up her expression and guessed something. His lips curved disappointedly. “If you can do it, the hospital will naturally approve.”

“That’s great. I want to spend New Year’s with Dad this year.” Josie sounded sad. She was already prepared.

If her dad didn’t have much time left, spending New Year’s together could make up for her regrets.

It was silent for a moment. Josie took her cell phone from her bag and slowly typed but deleted everything. She was at a loss.

Matthew saw it, and his gaze was cold. He asked softly, “Do you need to ask for his permission?”

Josie was startled. She smiled bitterly. “That’s how things are when I depend on him.”

Matthew was pained. “Get a divorce, Jo. I’m a doctor. I can help you fulfill any of your requests.”

Josie was taken aback. She didn’t know what to say momentarily when faced with his burning gaze. She said. “Matt, I can’t get a divorce for now.”

She had been more energetic when she came to the hospital these days, and Matthew had noticed something. He questioned her, “Do you not want to divorce him, or does he not want it?”

Josie’s blood froze, and she didn’t know how to explain it. “It’s too complicated between us. I can’t get divorced for now.”

Matthew’s expression froze. After a moment, he laughed bitterly. “… It may not be entirely bad. You can do anything you want as long as you can protect yourself. Anything you want.”

He didn’t know if he was consoling himself or Josie.

Chapter 216 Save Him

After that, it was as though he couldn’t stay any longer. He was about to leave the hospital room. Doctors always looked very dignified, and Matthew was no exception Josie suddenly called out to him. “Matt”

“Hmm?” He turned.

“It’s almost New Year’s. Do you have a girlfriend yet? Your mom must be pushing you to get one.”

Matthew’s gaze dimmed…. She is.

“You should start dating soon. With good genes like yours, it’s a shame not to have children. You should marry a beautiful woman who’s as outstanding as you are.”

Josie advised him sincerely. She really hoped that Matthew could live a good life.

“I understand.” This time, Matthew didn’t stay. He left the hospital room, and Josie couldn’t hear the emotion in his voice.

The hospital room was quiet. Josie sighed and sat beside her dad as she massaged him. She talked to herself. “Dad, you hope for Matt’s happiness, too, right? He’s a good man. He’s our benefactor.”

Paul didn’t react. Only the sounds of the ECG reminded her that he was still alive.

The end of the year was the busiest time for Dexter. He had many social gatherings.

Josie usually waited for him until the wee hours of the night, but sometimes she couldn’t stay up. tonight. She had called Dexter’s secretary. “Mrs. Russell, Mr. Russell is still occupied. The other executives aren’t letting him go. I think they’re going to go for another round.”

It was no surprise to Josie. She didn’t demand anything. “I understand. Take good care of him. I’m going to sleep.”

“Ah…” The secretary blurted out subconsciously. She never thought Josie would be

untroubled.

“Is there something wrong?” Josie was feeling sleepy.

It was troublesome when other people found out she was Mrs. Russell. She couldn’t be herself and do as she pleased.

“Mrs. Russell, tonight’s social engagement is at Heaven on Earth. The other executives asked for mu models who were first-rate beauties. Aren’t you worried?” The secretary sputtered. It was unimagin her. Every woman would want to grab on tightly to a man like Dexter.

But Josie seemed indifferent.

Josie paused. “Is Ms. Miller there tonight?”

“… Yes.”

“Then that’s fine. I’m not worried if Ms. Miller is around,” Josie answered quickly. Ivy likes Dexter so much.

She won’t let any woman approach him. I don’t have to be there.

+5 Bonus

The secretary was surprised by Josie’s reasoning. “But… everyone knows that Ms. Miller…” The secretary gritted her teeth. She faced the man’s gaze and said, “Mrs. Russell, why don’t you come here? Save Mr. Russell from this.”

After that, the secretary hung up.

Josie was taken aback. This was the disadvantage of being a wife. No matter the time, she still had to care for her husband.

She took a deep breath and opened her wardrobe. She wore a long dress, a coat, and a pair of Valentinos. She was well-dressed.

Actually, it wasn’t that she didn’t want to care about Dexter. She feared she would overstep boundaries and want more from him if she cared too much. Not only would she want him to fulfill her physical needs, but also her emotional needs…

Then. Josie would be worried about losing him. She didn’t like that feeling.

Heaven on Earth was as bustling as usual. This time, no server stopped her. Calvin had specially informed the staff that she could walk in freely.

Dexter was on the highest floor, and his secretary came to her. “Mrs. Russell, those women are beautiful. Even Ms. Miller can’t deal with them.”

Josie took off her coat and passed it to the secretary, revealing her full bosom and long legs. Although her appearance wasn’t stunning, she had a pretty good figure. Otherwise, Dexter wouldn’t torment her so much in bed.

Chapter 217 The Formidable Mrs Russell

“Allow me.”

The secretary opened the door. The private room was filled with suggestive music. Many people were there, but the man was eye-catching. He sat near the brown window with a cigarette in his hand. Josie didn’t know what he was thinking about. He looked out of place in this red-light district. A few big- bosomed women were close to him. One was trying to make him drink. He didn’t turn her down, but he wasn’t drinking.

Ivy stood at one side as she rolled her eyes at the women.

“Dexter!” Josie cried out, her voice piercing through the music.

Dexter looked toward the noise and was slightly surprised. “Why are you here?”

“Well done. I was lonely and waiting for you to come home, but you’re flirting with women here!” Josie played her part well. She approached him and stomped her feet, pushing those women aside. “Don’t you feel sorry for me?!”

Ivy looked at this scene in disbelief. She never thought Josie would come.

“You’ve misunderstood.” Dexter extinguished his cigarette and sat up straight. He saw her signaling gaze and smiled bitterly in exasperation.

“What have I misunderstood? They’re about to kiss you on the lips!”

“You said you would only let me kiss your lips for the rest of your life.”

She said everything in one breath with tears flickering, seeming utterly wronged.

The private room was instantly quiet. Everyone didn’t know what was going on. How does this woman dare to speak to Dexter in such a way? He doesn’t seem to be angry. He even looks slightly guilty,

The men in the room were startled, and no one said a word.

Josie continued to shake Dexter’s arm. “Sure enough. I can’t trust what a man says. Don’t you feel sorry for me, Dexter Russell?!”

Dexter grabbed her swinging hand and answered patiently, “You’ve really misunderstood. Today was just a gathering. I didn’t touch them.”

“Do you think I’ll believe you? I saw what they did just now!”

The man in the seat of honor saw that something was wrong because Josie had no sense of propriety and was acting headstrong. He sat up straight. “Mr. Russell, this is…”

Ivy wanted to say something but stopped. She was about to speak when Dexter rose up slightly. “My wife.”

Everyone was astonished. They never thought Dexter was married to a woman who could dominate him. She must be important to him.

“When did you get married, Mr. Russell?”

The Formidable Mrs Russell

“Not long ago. I haven’t made it public yet. I hope you can understand.”

Everyone understood.

Josie held Dexter’s arm and had a bright smile. “Everyone, Dexter is already married. Please invite him to fewer gatherings like this in the future. I have a bad temper.”

Dexter couldn’t turn his business partners down in such a situation, but his wife could. She was just the right person to play the bad guy.

“You’re so devoted, Mr. Russell. We will certainly act appropriately from henceforth.” They bowed slightly.

Josie reached out and picked up Dexter’s wineglass in front of him. She filled it with wine and raised it to toast everyone. “Here’s a toast as my apology.” She drank it in one shot, and the wine left on her lips was alluring.

Dexter stared at her lips while the light shone on her, and his gaze was deep.

They couldn’t be mad after what Josie did. The women quickly backed down, and Josie approached Dexter. She took a whiff of him, and her expression was nasty. “This stinks. Throw it away.”

Dexter looked down. He almost couldn’t conceal the smile on his face.

The group of people dispersed for the night. When they left, Josie immediately asked the secretary for her coat. “It’s so cold. I’m freezing!”

Dexter stood on the spot and was calm. “Weren’t you acting high and mighty like a peacock just now?”

Chapter 218 You Don’t Have to Ask Me

Josie’s fingers turned white, and she pointed at the ungrateful man. “Would I be like a peacock if not for you?”

He smiled indifferently and signaled for Ivy and his secretary to leave. The former was unwilling, but she yielded in the end. She left darkly with the secretary.

After leaving the private room, Ivy had an awful expression. “Did you call Josie?”

“She called…” The secretary didn’t dare to look at Ivy. “But Mr. Russell prompted me to ask her to come here.”

After that, Ivy’s expression turned nastier. She took a deep breath and quickly walked to the elevator.

In the private room, Dexter reached out and gestured for Josie to come to him. She looked slightly reserved now that she wasn’t putting on an act. “What’s up?”

Dexter embraced her and touched her ice-cold fingers. “Was it cold on the way here?”

“It was worth it, no matter how cold it was. At least you’ll have a peaceful year-end.” Josie smiled. “How are you going to repay me?”

Dexter said absentmindedly, “What do you want?”

“Um…”

Josie was slightly nervous and hesitant. “I have a slightly unreasonable request. It’s absurd. I’m afraid you’ll get angry.”

It was rare for her to say such things. Dexter was grim. “Tell me.”

“Will you do it for me if I ask?”

In the silent private room, his pitch-dark eyes were fascinating. He didn’t answer Josie and only held her hand tightly. She understood and cleared her throat. She spoke slowly. “It’s just that… I’m considering. bringing my dad back to Mason Garden for the New Year’s.”

When she said it, she stared at Dexter’s expression and wanted to catch his response, but he didn’t react from the start until the end.

The corners of his lips were curving downward, and she immediately explained upon seeing him silent. I’m afraid my dad won’t wake up, so I want to spend New Year’s with him. You know what state the Warren family is in, and it’s unsuitable for a patient… so Mason Garden…”

Before she could finish, Dexter suddenly interrupted her in a low voice. “Josie.”

Josie’s heart sank. “Mm.”

“Did

you have to hesitate for so long to tell me this?” He was in a bad mood, and his voice was deep.

She didn’t understand, so she did not utter a word.

Dexter was slightly disappointed and exasperated at her. “You’re now Mrs. Russell. You can make any decision you want. Moreover, he’s your family. Do you think I would disagree?”

Josie only understood what he meant after a while. She laughed in exasperation. Josie extended her arms and put them around his neck. She leaned close to him. “Thank you. Dexter.”

The man’s large hand held her head as he stroked it gently. “Bring him back. Perhaps he will react to the outside world.”

“Grandpa has wanted to meet your family. I’ll also bring Grandpa back, and then we can spend New Year’s together.”

Josie didn’t know how to describe her feelings at that moment. She was on cloud nine and in high spirits. The feelings she had for him gradually grew to great heights.

After today, Dexter saw that Josie didn’t have much to do, so he told her to participate in the annual meeting’s design aspect. Ivy and Josie had to work together professionally.

Josie realized the importance of the annual meeting and didn’t dare to do it. “I need much more experience for the annual meeting’s design aspect. I’ve never done it before. Ms. Miller can deal with it alone. Why…”

Dexter said indifferently, “She can deal with it, but you must participate.”

Ivy stood at one side and felt grieved but kept quiet. She had worked with Dexter for years and understood he was laying the groundwork for Josie.

Mm… It’s only natural to lay the groundwork for Mrs. Russell…

Chapter 219 Groping

After leaving Dexter’s office, Josie stood still and said to Ivy, “Ms. Miller, I apologize in advance for any

mistakes.”

Ivy stood upright and smiled insincerely. “It’s just an annual meeting. It’s nice to have another pair of hands to help. I have many things to do anyway. Thank you for sharing the burden with me.”

Since she had said that, Josie’s smile widened.

Josie didn’t understand Dexter’s thoughts, but he must have had his intentions for doing such a thing. Moreover, it was good to train herself.

Josie needed help, so she chose two trustworthy employees in the design department, Alice and Kevan. She considered the latter and felt she should give the young person a chance.

“Ms. Jo. you’re already the head of the department at twenty-two years old. It’s a big deal,” Kevan said with a smile while working.

“Twenty-two years old isn’t young for a woman. More female college graduates are emerging, and I will be replaced sooner or later, Josie replied with a bitter smile while working.

“How can that be? The experience that comes with age is incomparable.” Kevan was unconcerned. “I like older women.”

“Are you going back for the holidays, Kevan?” Josie thought of his résumé and the background investigation done on him. He wasn’t local and didn’t have a great family background. He had come from a rural area.

Kevan was startled and quickly answered, “Do I need to work overtime? I don’t have to go home.”

Alice snorted in laughter. “Don’t worry. Although working in Russell Group is stressful, the company treats us well. We don’t have to work during the holidays. Ms. Jo is just concerned about you.”

Kevan scratched his head and glanced at Josie shyly. She was moving swiftly and packing up. A gentle smile was in the corner of her mouth.

“I should be going home. My parents miss me.” He asked, “Are you going home, Ms. Jo?”

“Of course. My family is here.

He wanted to say something but stopped. After that, they left the office together. “I heard that your father is in poor health, Ms. Jo. You can call me at any time if you need help.”

Josie patted his head. “You don’t have to worry. I’m fine.”

Dexter saw this scene when they walked to the entrance of the office. The man beside Josie looked honest. She patted his head like she would a puppy.

The signal lights of his car flashed, and Alice immediately noticed it. “Jo, isn’t that Mr. Russell’s car?”

Josie looked over and immediately denied it. “How would I know? I don’t know. Who cares…”

They parted at the intersection, and Josie walked to the bus stop. She only sneaked back secretly after. Alice and Kevan had left. She got into the car while no one was looking and looked like a thief.

“Why did you stop your car at the office entrance?” She patted her chest. Her heart was beating furiously.

Dexter narrowed his eyes and saw how helpless she looked. “Who was that man just now?”

Josie was taken aback before she understood who he was referring to. She said, “It’s Kevan Quiring. He’s newly employed and has just passed probation.”

“Do you grope new hires?” His voice was cold, and it terrified Josie.

She took a sip of water and looked down. “It was subconscious. I won’t do it again.”

The car drove, and Dexter answered emails on his laptop. He didn’t say anything, and he still had a dark expression. He ignored her.

Josie carefully went closer to him. He shut his laptop and met her gaze. “What’s up?”

“Where are we going, Mr. Russell?” she asked boldly.

Chapter 220 I Don’t Like Lies

“Guess.”

Josie immediately looked at the road outside. It wasn’t the way back to Mason Garden. She shut her eyes and guessed blindly. “Heaven on Earth? You promised me not to go there anymore. Don’t tell me you miss the big bosomed girls there? Are you breaking your promise? How can you be like this, Dexter? I really misjudged you…”

“Keep quiet. Dexter couldn’t take it, and he interrupted her babbling.

Josie choked. “Then it must be Mandarin Oriental. Do you have a social engagement again? I won’t save you this time unless you pay me double my salary. It’s tiring to work.”

She was talkative when she wanted to speak. Dexter smiled as he listened to her. He suddenly asked, “Where were you a few nights ago?”

Josie’s heart clenched. She had a bad premonition and feigned ignorance. “I’m with you every night.”

“The day of the accident on the construction site. When I went to the hospital.”

Josie almost immediately felt suffocated in the stifling air. She never thought that Dexter had found out. How did he find out?

“I came home after meeting the design department. You know about it.”

Josie already knew she was done for when she said it, but she couldn’t think of a better way to hide it.

Dexter liked to smoke when he was feeling jittery. He casually took out a pack of cigarettes and tore the plastic on it. Dexter took out a cigarette and wasn’t rushing to light it. He kept sniffing it and stared at her meaningfully.

He didn’t say anything, and Josie couldn’t help but probe. “Do you have a lighter? I brought one.”

After that, she dug out a lighter from her bag. It had become a habit for her after lighting his cigarette a

Xter turned his face to the side and avoided her. She few times. She lit the fire and approached him, but couldn’t light his cigarette.

The fire flickered before the man’s face and reflected the ridge of his brow, making him seem determined and gallant.

Josie feared yet revered him.

“Dexter…”

He put his cigarette away and didn’t light it. “I don’t like lies. Don’t do this again.”

He didn’t say it explicitly, but he saw through what was on her mind. Her heart felt empty. She clear didn’t do anything wrong, but it seemed like she was in the wrong. She felt grieved.

She didn’t say anything because she didn’t know what to say. With how Dexter was acting, he must not have wanted to hear any explanations.

Their destination was Mandarin Oriental.

Dexter had a social engagement. This time, there were no big bosomed models. Only a few middle-aged men sat in seats of honor around the table. Food was served before them, one dish after another.

One of them was Mr. Langman, the head of the Sylmark project. “You’re finally here, Dexter. I’ve been waiting for a long time.”

Dexter took off his coat and passed it to Josie. He said with a forced smile, “Traffic was bad.”

There were two tables in the private room, one with men and the other with women. It seemed like the women were the men’s partners. They looked magnificent and extremely wealthy.

Josie guessed that the social engagement wouldn’t be too solemn.

“Go and greet the wives,” Dexter said to her in a low voice. The smile in the corners of his mouth was insincere.

Josie hesitated momentarily and could only put on a bold face as she walked over. One of the women with a full figure quickly stood up and welcomed her. “A few days ago, I heard that Dexter got married. I never thought it was true. You’re beautiful, Mrs. Russell. I’ve finally met you.”

The women were playing with cards and had casino tokens by their side. They were sizing Josie up at that

moment.

“Hello. Nice to meet you.” She forced a smile and seemed slightly out of place.

One of the women looked haughty. “You can call me Mrs. Langman. I don’t think I’ve seen you, Mrs. Russell. Are you an outsider?”

Outsider… Josie pondered the word in her heart. “I guess. You can call me Josie.”

Chapter 221 The Other Woman

A woman laughed, and her gaze was filled with contempt. She didn’t comment.

Dexter talked to the men and mentioned the construction site. They should have been dealing with the aftermath of the Sylmark projects. After three rounds of drinks, a few men were slightly tipsy.

Josie played cards with the wives. She didn’t know how to play and kept making mistakes. The women sneered at her when they saw her flustered. Josic took a deep breath and restrained her emotions.

“Alright, Mrs. Russell is a nice woman. Do you think she sits around and has nothing to do all day, just like you? Let’s stop playing” Mrs. Langman smiled and came to Josie’s rescue. She looked at Josie. “Why don’t you tell us how you got together with Mr. Russell? We want to hear about it.”

Josie opened her mouth and glanced at Russell. He didn’t intend to come to her rescue. He held a cigarette in his hands.

At this time, someone interrupted softly. “Isn’t Mrs. Russell the other woman who was promoted? While the daughter of the Olsen family wasn’t in the country, she shamelessly got married.”

The air turned tense. Josie’s face paled before her cheeks flushed. One of the men at the main table quickly smoothed things over. “What do women know? Don’t talk nonsense about things you know nothing about. Don’t take it to heart, Mr. Russell.”

When Josie looked at Dexter, he was puffing on his cigarette. “It’s fine.”

Only Josie was humiliated. She teared up and put down the cards she had held tightly to. “I’m not the other woman.”

No one said anything momentarily after Josie was so direct. After a moment, another woman said, “As long as your conscience is clear.”

When Josie’s tears fell, the private room door was opened, and a voice rang. “Mrs. Camber, I heard your voice from far away. I’ll get upset if you say such things.”

It was Arnold. He was in a bright suit today and was still carefree as usual with a bright smile.

“Mr. Carter…”

Josie was surprised. When she looked at Dexter again, he wasn’t looking up. He was trying food on his plate. It seemed nasty because he spat it out.

“Everyone in Wavery knows that I like Sum. If you say that Summer was with Dexter, I’ll get upset,” Arnold. said openly as he sat down. He leaned one hand against the table and chair, and his gaze was directed only at Josie.

Mrs. Camber thought of it and nodded at once. “I apologize for my rudeness.”

But Josie knew that while Arnold confessed his feelings for Summer, he silently proved that Josie wasn’t the other woman.

He was so thoughtful, but Josie didn’t feel thankful. She felt more panicked.

Dexter poured a glass of wine. “You’re late, Arnold. You must be punished.”

“I’m single, unlike everyone here. Let me go this time.” Arnold smiled nonchalantly as he quietly turned it down.

“You must be kidding. You’re so accomplished, Mr. Carter. It would be easy for you to get married. If you can’t find anyone, my wife likes to play matchmaker. She can introduce someone to you.” Someone interrupted with a smile.

“Any type of woman?”

Yes.”

“Is there someone like Mrs. Russell?”

The entire private room fell silent. Josie took a deep breath and wanted to murder the man.

Dexter finally turned and glanced at her. “You seem to be particularly fond of my wife, Arnold. Summer might be sad if she learned you fell out of love with her.”

“I must put myself first.” Arnold smiled and raised his head to drink the wine. “Dexter, would you give her up if I wanted her?”

The room was quiet for a long time. Dexter kept quiet from the start until the end. No one understood what he was thinking about.

Josie could no longer sit still. She found an excuse to go to the washroom. She turned on the splashed water on her face.

tap and

This was the first time she was truly humiliated.

Chapter 222 Humiliation

Dexter treated her like the apple of his eye when he wanted to. When he didn’t want to, he treated her like nothing and humiliated her repeatedly.

His kindness toward her could quickly disappear in the blink of an eye.

A figure appeared behind her. She saw a bright suit out of the corner of her eye. Josie held on to the sink and almost couldn’t catch her breath. “You’re right. Dexter has no affection.”

They could get along as if they had no boundaries, but he punished her like this today. Josie felt like her heart was being crumpled repeatedly. Resentment and disappointment festered within her.

“I’m not Arnold.” It was an icy voice. She shuddered when she heard it. Her legs went weak, and she didn’t dare to turn around.

How can it be Dexter?

Her coat hung from his hand, and his eyes were frosty. They were ice-cold. He put her coat on her gently as if nothing had happened.

But Josie trembled uncontrollably,

“You get along well, don’t you? He knows you so well that you can bare your feelings to him like this.” Dexter’s icy lips were by her ears. He felt her uncontrollable trembling.

“Dexter…” Josie was on the brink of a breakdown. Her voice shivered as well.

“Do you want to be with him?” He continued asking, but she didn’t answer. He grabbed her face and forced her to look into the mirror.

Josie’s eyes were wet, and she was terrified. As the man grabbed her from behind, the veins on his hand protruded.

“Do you want to?!” He exerted more force..

Josie’s tears fell, and she shook her head furiously. “No… I don’t…”

“Know your place, Josie Warren.” He made her look in the mirror. “I gave you everything you have now, not Arnold. You belong to me. You must know your place.”

His voice was soft yet harsh. There was none of his sweet tenderness. It was as though he were a different. person. Josie felt that she didn’t know him.

“Mm….” Josie trembled as she blinked.

Footsteps came from outside, and her heart lifted. “Josie?”

It was Arnold’s voice.

Josie and Dexter didn’t move. Josie cried out at once, “Don’t come in! I don’t want to talk to you now!”

The footsteps stopped at once.

“I didn’t mean to humiliate you just now. Don’t take it to heart.” Arnold sounded slightly regretful.

Dexter held Josie down from the start to the end. It was as though a poisonous snake was slithering on her body. He spoke into her ear. “Do you want to be seen?”

She shivered violently. “I don’t care. Don’t come here. I don’t want to see you.”

She wanted Arnold to leave at once!

He seemed to sense something wrong with her voice. After a moment, he said, “Take care. His footsteps sounded further away after that.

Josie breathed a sigh of relief. She almost fell to the floor, paralyzed.

Dexter finally let her go. He turned around ruthlessly and left her as she slowly fell to the floor weakly.

Josie didn’t return to Mason Garden that night. She felt defeated and stayed in a nearby hotel. She couldn’t sleep the whole night.

She finally understood. If she had feelings for Dexter, she would be in eternal misery. Did affection mean anything to him?

They weren’t important to him. Or perhaps, he had no affection for Josie. Maybe her feelings hadn’t been reciprocated.

Russell Group’s annual meeting was held at one of the hotels under the corporation’s banner. On that day, the hotel wasn’t open for business. They started preparing from morning until evening, making the venue look luxurious and elegant. Everyone who saw it gasped in admiration.

It was December thirty-first, which was New Year’s Eve. People were bustling around on the streets. Those who passed the hotel were astonished by how much Russell Group had spent.

Chapter 223 Annual Meeting

When Dexter entered the venue, Josie was giving out roses to others. Everyone received one.

She didn’t raise her head from the start until the end and looked haggard.

Every Russell Group annual meeting when Dexter was in office would always make waves in the business world yearly. This was when Russell Group employees felt the happiest.

At this time, Josie understood why Dexter wanted her to be involved in the annual meeting. Amid all the bustle, she had come into contact with all the key personnel of Russell Group. Even if she couldn’t remember exactly what everyone was in charge of, she had a rough idea.

She wasn’t sure if Dexter really wanted such a result, Josie didn’t think of anything else. She seized the opportunity firmly and treated everyone politely. She was earnest and responsible, so she wouldn’t leave others with a bad impression.

Her work ethic left a good impression on many people.

Dexter walked in dressed formally when he entered. He saw Alice dump roses into Josie’s lap. The thorns had been removed. Josie was annoyed and amused. She looked up to see the tall man.

Josie was slightly surprised. She pursed her lips and didn’t dare believe he had walked over.

Alice was taken aback, and she stepped back. “Mr. Russell.”

Dexter was in a black suit tonight, looking highly solemn and indifferent.

Josie reacted quickly. She bowed slightly and gave him a rose. Mr. Russell.”

Her voice didn’t fluctuate.

He took the flower from her and walked into the venue. From where she was, she saw him give his rose to an elderly woman. The woman must have held an essential role in the past and still attended the annual meeting in her old age.

The dinner banquet was sumptuous, a fusion of North meets South. It suited most of the attendees” tastebuds. Josie had put a lot of thought into it. Thankfully, it was well received.

Before the dinner banquet started, Dexter went on stage to give a speech. Instead of the script Ivy had prepared for him, he said a few words and warm applause rang offstage. Josie stood in the corner and looked up at the dazzling man. She had no expression on her face.

At this time, the host bravely asked a few questions. The last question was, “Mr. Russell, since this is an annual occasion, can you fulfill our female employees’ hope of sharing a dance with you this year?”

Dexter smiled indifferently and didn’t answer. He raised his wineglass. “Please enjoy yourself.”

After that, Josie didn’t see him around. He was buried in the crowd. She couldn’t locate him even if she wanted to.

She walked around the venue. The banquet took up the entire eighteenth floor. Besides Russell Group employees, big shots from other industries were also present. Josie went up to help if she saw anyone in

need.

Her colleague called and told her she could stop, so Josie walked to the area Alice was responsible for. When Josie turned, she saw a familiar figure.

It was Jesse!

She wore a long, bareback dress, and her makeup was exquisite. She looked straight at Josie. Her target was clear. It seemed as though she had followed Josie..

Josie raised her brows in surprise.

Jesse approached Josie one step at a time, and a sneer appeared on Jesse’s face. “Nice to meet you, Mrs.

Russell.”

“I don’t understand what you mean.” Josie narrowed her eyes slightly.

Jesse took out a pack of cigarettes. She lit one and put it between her lips before leaning against the wall and puffing on it. She looked up at Josie. “Don’t be in a rush to refute. Since I’ve said it, it means I already know.”

She used to be a celebrity and had some resources. Now that the news of Dexter being married spread in the upper social circle, it was only natural for her to learn of it if she wanted to.

Chapter 224 Looking at Him

Josie kept quiet. She didn’t want such a role.

Jesse sized up the woman before her, who was as quiet as a mouse, and felt that Josie was quite elegant. As a woman herself. Jesse didn’t feel like a failure after losing to someone like Josie. Jesse was just jealous of Josic.

After finishing a cigarette, Jesse furrowed her brows. “You’re so calm. Aren’t you afraid that I will reveal it to the media?”

“You won’t.”

“Why?”

“Because it would be beneficial to me.”

Josie was right. Jesse stared at her. “What if I deliberately defame you?”

“Dexter won’t let you do such a thing.”

“Heh. You have no fear.

Jesse walked past her and said, “I don’t dare touch you, but I’m waiting for your fall from grace.”

Josie smiled faintly. She reached out to adjust her fringe and didn’t answer Jesse.

Laura was also present at this year’s annual meeting. Her elders had personally brought her along. She didn’t have a great family background. Everyone was astonished when they saw her at the annual meeting. Their emotions were unclear.

As Dexter walked around, Laura stuck to him incessantly. She sat at one side and waited patiently while he spoke to others. Those who didn’t know her thought that she had feelings for him, but those who did. know that she was like a younger sister to Dexter. The Russell family wouldn’t accept an illegitimate daughter.

Dexter was a gracious host, and he didn’t express his annoyance. He couldn’t help but remind her softly. “Laura, you’re a guest today. I’ll entertain you next time. I can’t attend to you simultaneously on such an

occasion.”

Laura laughed coyly when she saw that he initiated a conversation with her, “I saw that woman just now, and I felt annoyed. I don’t want you to be with her on such an occasion. Do you understand, Mr. Russell?”

Dexter raised his eyes and looked for Josie. She wasn’t around.

“I won’t do such a thing. The two hadn’t spoken for a few days since that day. They returned to Mason Garden separately.

“Really? You’re still rational, Mr. Russell. I thought you would be impulsive and publicly announce your marriage. You announced it at the celebration dinner last time. The whole world will know if you announce it at the annual meeting this time.” Laura taunted.

“If you continue talking, you will be embarrassed.” Dexter retorted calmly.

Laura felt anxious and grieved. “I still don’t understand. Why? Why isn’t it Summer? How is she inferior to that woman? Must you degrade yourself like this?”

Dexter’s expression was grim. He took a glass of wine from a waiter and handed it to her. “Are you sure you want to continue?”

Laura froze. She didn’t dare to provoke this man further. “In any case, I’m going to stay with you tonight. I want to keep watch over you for Summer’s sake.”

Dexter didn’t take to heart her immature actions. He put the wineglass down. Before he left, he said, “Take care of yourself instead.”

It was a busy day. Josie had been occupied the whole day and finally had time to rest. She found a quiet porch and enjoyed the chilly breeze.

She felt much more clear-headed. She held a bottle of wine and drank from it repeatedly without looking at the lively scene behind her. She felt like there was a void in her heart that couldn’t heal no matter what.

Josie.”

She didn’t know when Ivy had appeared behind her. She turned, and a cold breeze swept her hair.

“What’s wrong? Aren’t you busy enough, Ms. Miller?” Josie’s voice was slightly sarcastic.

“Get a divorce with Mr. Russell. He will agree if you insist,” Ivy said solemnly. “I know you have troubles at home. I can help you, but you must divorce him.”

Chapter 225 Yanis Russell

Josie laughed when she heard it. “Why are you confident that I will agree?”

Ivy had socialized with others for years and was always calm when she spoke. “I know about what happened at Mandarin Oriental. I believe you know that the wife Dexter needs isn’t someone like you. Arnold is nice to you. He can support you instead.”

Josie crossed her arms and took a deep breath. “It seems like you’ve done your research on me, Ms. Miller. You even know about Arnold. If he knew about it, he would ask Dexter for you.”

Ivy’s voice was intertwined with rage. She sneered. “Are you sure you don’t want to get a divorce?”

Josie wanted to laugh. Why does everyone think that I can decide?

“Look for Dexter. I will divorce him if he agrees. But if he doesn’t, don’t come and probe me again.” Josie didn’t care and wasn’t willing to speak further.

She wanted to get a divorce, but she couldn’t. Even when she considered other aspects, she had to prioritize herself. She couldn’t compromise because of others’ opinions.

And she knew that Dexter had no plans to divorce her for now.

Ivy understood where Josie stood and stopped asking further. She was about to turn and leave.

Josie called after her at this time. Ms. Miller, I don’t know how Jesse got in. I advise you to deal with it for Russell Group’s reputation.”

Ivy was slightly startled. Josie didn’t know if she was surprised. Ivy stood there for a while before leaving.

The night breeze was gentle yet lonely. It swept Josie’s long hair, and she sighed silently,

Many high-level executives from Russell Group came for this year’s annual meeting, including board. members from the board of directors. Some were old, looking dignified and wealthy. Employees were cautious about going up and talking to them.

“Dexter, I’ve seen this year’s financial report for Russell Group. Honestly, I have lingering fear about your plan to acquire Landon. The Russell Group might have crumbled if the Ardon family hadn’t gotten into trouble. It was too risky.”

A few board members sat together in a particular private room and were having some drinks. It had a great view. Dexter sat at the end with a faint smile. He was silent.

“But something happened to the Ardon family, didn’t it?”

“What if something had happened to Russell Group instead?” The man at the seat of honor was the previous person in charge of Russell Group. He was the eldest of his generation, and his name was Yanis Russell. He was almost sixty but took good care of himself and looked imposing.

“Uncle Yanis, I can guarantee that Russell Group’s business domain will expand endlessly for the next three years after acquiring Landon. It’s too early to feel disheartened now.”

Dexter poured a drink for himself. It was dark. He took a sip and put his glass down.

“Hmph… Three years. Don’t blame me for not warning you. Your grandfather is in poor health. Don’t let him witness the fall of Russell Group in his remaining years. If that happens, it’s basically manslaughter.” Yanis taunted him.

Dexter had a sneer in the corners of his mouth when he heard it. “It seems you’re not satisfied with the dividends this year, Uncle Yanis. If you’re really worried about Grandpa, why haven’t you ever visited him?”

“You!”

Someone smoothed things over when they sensed the increasingly hostile atmosphere. “Alright, we’re at family. Why are you acting like we’re on different sides? I believe in Dexter’s ability. Most of this year’s revenue has been pretty good. But of course, it would have been better if we didn’t need to fill the gap. made by Landon.”

Dexter did not utter a word. He held his glass. The faint noise outside slowly seeped in.

At this time, someone knocked at the door. It was Ivy. She looked at Dexter slightly anxiously and didn’t

dare to rush into action.

Chapter 226 Meeting the Rascal Again

Dexter put down the cup. “Come in.”

Ivy went to Dexter and leaned close to whisper something into his ear. However, he stopped her and said, “We’re all family. Whatever you want to tell me, my uncles can hear it too.”

“Jesse sneaked in. How should we deal with her?”

That’s easy.

Dexter looked at Ivy meaningfully. She instinctively turned away.

Many people were gathered in Russell Group that day. It was inevitable that unwanted guests would find ways to sneak in.

Bleu Mullins finally escaped his father and rushed out of his house furiously. He wanted to see for himself how wealthy Russell Group was.

His surname was Mullins, the same surname as the deputy director of the state police department.

That meant he came from the Mullins family. Dexter secretly took action against them, putting them on the verge of collapse.

In other words, Bleu was the rascal who insulted and raised his hand against Josie after the car accid

After that accident, the Mullins family was investigated, resulting in Bleu’s father’s demotion and suspension from duties. His father might have to go to prison if not for his grandfather’s prominent

influence.

Although Bleu was not punished, he had a terrible reputation throughout the Web. Moreover, his friends avoided him ever since his family’s downfall. Everyone knew he offended Dexter.

Bleu only found out afterward that Dexter was the man who came to help Josie.

Today, Bleu snuck in using the invitation his father pulled all strings to get. His father wanted a chance to apologize to Dexter and request mercy toward the Mullins family.

However, Bleu disagreed with his father’s plan. I heard rumors that Dexter is married. The woman from that day is probably his lover. She looked unremarkable. There’s no way a woman like that can marry into the Russell family.

So, why would Dexter bother to disturb my family for that woman?

As he thought about this, he suddenly noticed a woman seated on the steps and smirked.

“Gorgeous, are you alone?” Josie suddenly felt a hand on her shoulder, prompting her to frown. The voice continued before she could turn around, “Can I have your number?”

Bleu was an infamous playboy in his social circle. Previously, his family was wealthy and influential, so the women he approached were eager to please him.

He still had not given up his philandering habits, even in his family’s dire situation.

Meeting the Rascal Again

However, he was stunned when Josie turned around. He did not expect to see her again.

“What the heck?” Bleu jumped and widened his eyes in shock. Then, he hissed and cursed, “You witch! Why are you here? What a pest.”

Josie was bewildered to be cursed out of the blue. She looked at Bleu’s face under the dim light and sneered upon recognizing him. Why are all the enemies coming here tonight?

That should be my question. You have better leave before I call security.”

She was furious as she recalled her humiliation that day.

Bleu spat on the floor. He, too, was furious, especially when he recalled what his family had gone through recently. It filled him with the urge to bash the woman before him.

“You’re telling me to leave?” He smirked and kept moving closer. Josie retreated and replied sternly, “Don’t you dare touch me.”

Bleu snorted, grabbed her chin, and taunted. “I’m touching you. What are you going to do about it?”

“Go ahead and call Dexter to come here. Let’s see if he cares. I highly doubt he would. He’s already married, and you’re only an unwanted toy to him. How does it feel to be abandoned?”

His presence made Josie nauseous. She ran out of space to retreat and tried to push him off her. “Go away!”

Chapter 227 She Saved Her

Bleu was stronger and restrained her easily. He even took the chance to grope her and leered at her full breasts. Then, he laughed menacingly and picked up her work ID. “Oh, you work in Russell Group. I guess you slept your way in.”

Josie breathed heavily and struggled hard before finally breaking free of his restraint. She slapped Bleu hard, causing his head to turn sideways. However, he quickly covered her mouth before she could call for help and hit her.

“How dare you slap me? Do you wish to die?”

Josie faced a similar threat and humiliation when she tried to rescue Justin in Heaven on Earth. Therefore, her instincts kicked in, fueling her will to survive. She reached for the phone in her pocket, but Bleu caught her. He snatched the phone and threw it into the nearby swimming pool.

It was cold outside, so no one came out. Moreover, the glass on the floor-to-ceiling windows was made. such that people could see the interior from the outside, but those inside could not see what was outside.

Josie could see the crowd chatting happily in the hall, but no one noticed her situation.

They were so near, yet no one came to help her.

It filled her with despair.

Bleu also realized this and took off his jacket, grinning maliciously. He covered Josie’s mouth even as he tears fell on his hand.

“Don’t bother pretending to be chaste. I’ve seen too many women like you. Women like you act pure but

are wanton in bed.”

Bleu noticed she had quite an alluring figure and began touching her. “We don’t even need to get to bed. We can make love here. Isn’t it exciting?”

Josie’s eyes burned with hatred. She kept kicking her legs and struggled with all her might, but he easily

restrained her with his knees. Despair filled her heart. Her cries for help were muffled by the hand on her mouth. She had never wanted Dexter to appear as much as she did at that moment.

Bleu was at the end of his rope. He was desperate enough to do anything.

Where could Dexter be?

Laura was the first to notice something was off. She looked for Josie but could not find her anywhere. In the end, she grabbed someone and asked, “Where is Ms. Warren from the design department?”

Alice was enjoying herself at the party. She glanced at the window but could not see anything. “I think she’s still outside. She dislikes crowded places.”

Laura frowned and walked in the direction Alice pointed. “I’ll go look for her.”

Laura ran outside in time to find Josie restrained against the wall by a man against her will. The man had pulled her evening gown below her shoulders. Revealing a large expanse of her fair skin.

She Saved Her

Moreover, Josie’s eyes were filled with despair.

Laura did not have time to think. She covered her mouth in disbelief before screaming, “Help! A woman is being assaulted!”

Her voice alerted many people in the hall. The musicians immediately stopped the music.

Meanwhile. Bleu realized he had been discovered and glared at Josie as he cursed. He panicked and grabbed Josie as he approached Laura. Laura immediately jumped into self-defense mode and gabbed a wine bottle before smashing it on his shoulder.

Bleu hissed in pain and had no choice but to release Josie.

Josie was finally freed from the suffocating feeling. She fell to the floor and felt fresh air rushing into her lungs. She hugged herself and could not help but heave like a fish out of water.

“How dare you hit me?” Bleu touched his shoulder and found blood. His gaze turned murderous. He reached out and snatched the wine bottle from Laura. Being a woman, Laura’s strength was no match for his. She found herself being pushed backward.

People in the hall rushed out at this moment. Dexter had just left the private lounge when he heard Laura’s scream. He furrowed her brow and had a bad feeling. Thus, he grabbed his coat and ordered Ivy as he ran, “Find out where Josie is right now.”

Chapter 228 Fury

Ivy ran urgently but could not keep up with Dexter.

Dexter arrived at the scene and saw Bleu shove the struggling Laura as he escaped, causing her to fall into the swimming pool.

A big splash followed, and screams sounded from the spectators.

Dexter speedily weighed the pros and cons before tossing his jacket aside and leaped into the waters.

The spectators screamed again.

Thankfully, the swimming pool was shallow. However, the water was cold. Laura choked on the water briefly before Dexter reached her and pulled her into his embrace. “Laura! Laura!”

Laura was entirely drenched when he brought her out of the pool. Her condition was concerning. But when Dexter was about to rush her to the hospital, Laura tugged his shirt sleeve and said barely audibly, “There’s another person…”

The spectators could not hear Laura’s words but saw Dexter’s expression change drastically. He looked so furious that it seemed he would obliterate anyone in his way.

Dexter realized something and walked stiffly past the trapped Bleu. Then, he saw Josie lying lifelessly the ground in a ragged dress.

“Josie…”

Dexter trembled slightly and coldly ordered a staff, “Bring Ms. Brandel to the hospital.”

Then, he picked up his coat and went to Josie. If one were to look closely, one would notice him staggering as he walked and see the anguish in his eyes. He covered her with his coat and touched her skin, only to find it cool.

Josie knew it was Dexter and instinctively rested her head against his chest, trying to hide from the watching crowd. Her expression froze in despair.

Dexter caressed her and called out to her.

“I’m here. Everything’s all right now.”

On the other hand, Bled looked at the scene in disbelief and was on the verge of a mental breakdown. That’s impossible! No way! Why is Dexter treating Josie like this? At the same time, he knew he had gotten himself into trouble, and his life would be ruined.

Dexter glared at Bleu. His gaze was cruel and filled with hatred.

The crowd saw how gently he handled Josie, like carrying a precious and fragile vase. Everyone could feel his concern for Josie. He feared the incident would irrevocably break her.

Dexter said softly, “Apart from touching you, what else did he do?”

them on Bleu like a venomous snake waiting to strike. She saw the fear on his face.

His fear means nothing to me. How could he think I would let him go after all he did?

+5 Bonus

“He said.” Josie’s voice was soft, but the surrounding was so quiet that everyone could hear her words. “Don’t bother pretending to be chaste. I’ve seen too many women like you. Women like you act pure but are wanton in bed.”

The women in the crowd all glared at Bleu. His lips twitched, and his face turned pale from the discomfort of their animosity.

Dexter lifted Josie from the ground and seated her comfortably before slowly undid his cuff buttons. Later, the crowd would recall that he looked like a ferocious beast about to attack its prey.

“What else?”

“You work in Russell Group. I guess you wh red your way in.”

At this point, the women were not the only ones glaring at Bleu. Many male Russell Group employees. looked at him with fury.

Josie continued, “He’s already married, and you’re only an unwanted toy to him. How does it feel to be abandoned?”

Those words were shocking, leaving the crowd aghast.

While some people were still puzzled over those words, Dexter dashed forward, grabbed Bleu by his shirt. collar, and punched him hard.

Chapter 229 Merciless Beating

Bleu spurted blood from his mouth.

“How dare you call her a wh*re?”

“She is not an unwanted toy!”

“How dare you call her wanton?”

Dexter punched him without mercy, landing punches on Bleu’s face and head.

The crowd had never seen Dexter behaving so violently.

It seemed he was determined to kill Bleu.

Yet, his movements were clean and sharp. It was mesmerizing to watch.

Bleu had no chance to fight back.

Meanwhile, Bleu’s father rushed over upon hearing the noise and saw Dexter punching his son from among the crowd. His expression blanched, and his legs nearly gave way. What was Bleu thinking? Doesn’t he know what Dexter is like?

However, he did not dare to come forward to help his son.

Dexter released the anger he had accumulated for years and stepped away when Bleu was bloody beyond recognition. Bleu slumped on the floor, afraid that Dexter would punch him again. Thus, he latched onto the hem of Dexter’s trousers and pleaded pitifully, “I was wrong. Mr. Russel. I’m sorry. I won’t dare to do it again…

It was a pathetic sight.

Bleu had lost all trace of the arrogance from before.

Bleu’s father looked away from the scene. Although he was unsure of Dexter’s relationship with Josie, he saw how Dexter defended her without hesitation and knew Bleu had doomed the Mullins family.

Meanwhile, Ivy finally arrived at the scene and was briefly stunned to her spot. She did not expect Dexter to beat up someone in public for Josie,

He’s insane!

“Ivy.” Dexter still looked threatening even after he stopped punching Bleu.

“Contact the doctor immediately and tell him to wait for me.”

The crowd was in shock. No one expected Dexter to fly into a rage over a woman.

Still, the crowd thought it was understandable that he was furious. After all, Josie was not only an employee of Russell Group but also the design department head. Therefore, it was natural for someone to

forward to protect her after what she had gone through.

step

However, there were so many people on the scene. Why did Dexter personally step out to defend her?

Meanwhile, a few gray-haired elderly men stood at the crowd’s periphery and exchanged glances. There were fear and confusion in their eyes. Yet, they were excited to see Dexter losing his usual composure.

They knew they must not underestimate Josie’s importance to Dexter.

Dexter ignored the crowd and focused all his attention on Josie. He bent down and carried her securely in his arms before leaving. The crowd heard him speaking gently to Josie as he walked past them. “Don’t be scared, and don’t worry about anything. I will bring you home.”

We are going home.

It was New Year’s Eve. A time when the whole nation celebrates and counts down to usher in the brand

new year.

Apart from the incident near the swimming pool, people in the rest of the building were partying, utterly unaware of what had happened.

Jesse went from one man to another, trying to get them to help her with her cause. Suddenly, a few burly bodyguards showed up and dragged her away, throwing her out of Russell Group. “Leave, or we will call the police!”

Her dream to be an actress was crushed at that moment.

Meanwhile, Ivy stayed behind to deal with the aftermath of Bleu’s rash behavior.

Bleu’s father was on the verge of kneeling to beg for mercy, but Ivy grabbed a glass of wine and smashed it on the floor to vent her fury. “Your son has done something unforgivable. There’s no use pleading with

me!”

His legs gave way.

“Bang!”

A loud noise came from ahead, prompting Dexter to stop the car immediately.

The movement jostled Josie, who was dozing off in the front passenger seat. Her face was as pale as a sheet.

The bodyguard in the car before them got out to check the situation. He soon returned and reported to Dexter, “There’s a car accident ahead. The police are on their way.”

Dexter silently indicated to the bodyguard to leave.

Then, he turned on the car’s interior light and checked on Josie. He asked gently, “Are you all right?”

Chapter 230 Leaked Information

Josie’s eyelids throbbed. She felt a persistent panic and wondered if it was because she was nearly assaulted.

She let Dexter comfort her before leaning into his embrace. She still could not speak. However, she sensed Dexter’s patience running thin during the prolonged silence and said, “The hotel layout has to be changed”

She was traumatized by the feeling of isolation and helplessness.

What… What would happen to me if Laura didn’t come out? What if she decided not to help me? What would happen

to me then?

Dexter also felt a lingering fear over what had happened. His expression turned stern as he answered, “Yes, it has to be changed.”

The placeneeds more thanminor changes. It requires extensive remodeling.

Therefore, the most exclusive hotel in Wavery underwent a significant renovation for the next two months. Rumors said Dexter spent tens of millions on this and would only allow the renovation to stop once he was satisfied with the result. Meanwhile, Bleu’s family faced catastrophe. Initially, Dexter showed some mercy and did not force their destruction. However, after that incident…

The family suffered a bloody end.

Of course, all these happened much later.

In the present, Dexter realized the road ahead would take a long time to clear. Thus, he decided to turn the car around and bring Josie to his other house in Wavery.

He rarely stayed here, and there were no servants. It was quiet and peaceful.

Dexter carried Josie across the yard. Josie looked up from his embrace and saw two lamps on the porch.

They seemed to guide them home.

Dexter patted her shoulder and placed her on the bed in the master bedroom. This was a single-story villa, and the outside of the bedroom was planted with greenery, filling the window with lush scenery. There was also a pond outside where water dripped from the eaves, producing clear and melodious

sounds.

Since Dexter rarely came to the house, he forgot where many things were placed. He got up to find all the necessities while Josie lay in bed and watched him searching around busily.

Her emotions were a mess.

past few

Dexter was now gentle and caring as she remembered. However, he was so cold and cruel the days that he was a completely different person. She could not understand how someone could have such contrasting behaviors.

Her heart ached as she thought about it.

Chapter 231 I Never Told Him

Ivy said, “Yes, all the workers at the construction site had signed the confidential agreements. The hospital is strict with patient information. How did the media find out about it?”

Dexter walked out of the study and saw that rain was hammering down. He ordered sternly, “Investigate all the workers involved.”

“I’ve already investigated them before you answered my call. There’s nothing wrong with them. Mr. Russell… Please forgive me for asking. Did you tell anyone about this matter?” Ivy asked tentatively.

Dexter looked at Josie’s tightly shut door and could not hear any noise from the room. All he heard was the splattering sound of rain.

“It’s not her.”

Ivy could not help raising her voice. This matter is severe. Reporters are now blocking Russell Group’s entrance. It will be detrimental to the company’s reputation unless we find the source of the leak.

Dexter closed his eyes briefly.

“Wait for a while, Dexter said and hung up.

He pushed open the door and saw Josie sitting before the window with a dazed expression. One could only wonder what she thought as she looked at the heavy rain. It was cold, but she only wore a thin sleeping gown. The sight of her like this broke his heart.

She did not turn around even as she heard noises. She seemed as if she had lost all hope.

“Don’t go to the company today. You should stay here and rest, Dexter said, holding the doorknob. His face was devoid of emotion.

Josie remained silent. However, she suddenly spoke as he turned around to leave. “I want to see Laura.

Despite their conflicts, Josie felt she should thank Laura for saving her life.

Dexter replied without turning around, “I’ll get someone to message you the hospital she is staying in.”

Silence followed.

Dexter walked a few steps before pausing. “You were with Arnold on the night of the construction accident. Did you tell him about the accident?”

Josie finally showed some reaction. She looked at him blankly and answered, “I never told him.”

Hearing her answer, Dexter did not ask any more questions but left the villa. He started his car and drove

away.

Josie remained dazed for some time before getting up. She washed up and turned on her phone to find the message about Laura’s hospital. It was the one her father stayed in.

Then, she called a taxi and went to the shop before the hospital to get some fruit. The TV at the shop showed the news. Many reporters crowded around Dexter and pointed their microphones at him, but he

remained calm despite the chaos.

“Mr. Russell, your project in Sylmark recently suffered a case of casualty. Was it due to Russell Group’s negligence?”

“Mr. Russell, can you explain what caused the accident?”

Dexter appeared calm as he faced the camera. “We are cooperating with the police investigation to find. out the cause of the accident. Meanwhile, we have properly compensated the victim’s family. At the moment, there is no indication that Russell Group has been negligent in this project. We will share the findings with the public once the investigation is concluded.”

“Please be patient.”

Dexter left after saying that. His bodyguards immediately blocked the reporters from getting close to him.

“Miss, why are you standing there? Are you going to take it or not?” The shopkeeper handed Josie a bag of fruits.

Josie finally came to her senses.

Laura caught a cold after tripping into the pool and suffered shock from the incident. Therefore, the doctor recommended that she stay in the hospital for observations. As a wealthy lady, Laura received top- notch service in the VIP ward. She spent her time playing video games and had steaks for her meals.

Matthew stopped Josie and asked, “Are you her friend?”

Josie was confused by his question. “Is… Is she a difficult patient?”

Matthew nodded. “I heard from the nurses that she chased out anyone who came to see her. She even threw the things her visitors brought out of the window and hurt a passerby. Luckily, the injury was minor. She compensated them twenty thousand without any concern.”

Chapter 232 Indebted to Her

Josie rolled her eyes. That’s indeed the Laura I know…

However, she did not want Matthew to worry. “I’ll be fine. I’m only meeting her for a while.”

Laura was engrossed in playing a game on her phone and moved her body as she controlled her game. avatar. She did not notice Josie coming in. Seeing her in the middle of a game, Josie sat at the side and waited for her to finish her round.

Laura suddenly looked up and noticed Josie. She widened her eyes and shouted fiercely, “Why are you. here!”

Josie appeared amicable. “I came here to see you, and thank you for saving me yesterday.”

Her words infuriated Laura, causing her expression to darken further. “Get out.”

However, Josie stayed in her seat. “I know you despise me, but I still want to thank you for saving me. I don’t dare to think what would happen if you didn’t show up.”,

Those words further aggravated Laura’s inood. She threw her phone onto her bed and replied furiously, “I don’t need your fake gratitude. Get out of my sight before I call my bodyguards.”

“Your bodyguards aren’t at the door. I wouldn’t have been able to come in if they were there,” Josie responded calmly.

Laura finally realized her bodyguards had left without her realizing. It made her even more anxious. I’ve said clearly enough. I don’t need your fake gratitude, and I despise you. I would have helped anyone in that situation. So, leave and stop making me feel nauscous,”

Laura looked pretty even when she was furious. Josie was used to her arrogance and was not bothered by the hatred on Laura’s face.

“That means you’re a good person. It’s hard to find a kind and wealthy lady these days.”

Josie was like a saint. No words could provoke her.

Her unaffectedness infuriated Laura so much that she was on the verge of losing her mind. She felt an intense urge to strangle Josie. “Why would I want to be kind to you? Stop pretending to be nice to me. I saved you, but that doesn’t mean I accept you as Dexter’s wife. You should know your place.”

However, Josie pretended not to hear her and helped herself to the fruits in the basket. “Do you want a

banana?”

Laura gave up entirely and sat slumped on the bed. “You disgust me. Get out.”

Josie slowly peeled a banana and said, “Ms. Brandel, I won’t forget your kindness. Let me know if you need help, and I will try my best to assist you.”

Then, she placed the banana on the table and continued. “You might think my promise is not worth much. Still, you can give me a chance when your situation requires it.” Josie blinked and added, “Of course, my offer doesn’t include divorcing Dexter.”

Josie left and closed the door. In her fury, Laura threw a pillow at the door and yelled. “I should never have saved you!”

Laura was an illegitimate daughter. Her father brought her and her mother to Brandel Residence shortly after his wife died. Laura was already ten years old then. Everyone in Wavery knew she was born out of wedlock.

Josie investigated Laura before going to see her.

She believed Laura likely did not have it easy with such a background. Therefore, Josie considered and decided to promise her a favor. She thought she would soon be able to repay Laura for saving her.

Josie was in a rush and did not go to visit her father. She hailed a taxi and headed to Carter Group. The receptionist made her wait in the lobby. Josie pulled out her phone and called Arnold straight away. “What are you doing?”

Arnold was surprised but was happy to hear her voice. “Why? I heard Russell Group’s party was a success. Are you interested in organizing one for Carter Group?”

Josie controlled her anger. “Where are you?”

Arnold paused briefly before answering. “I’m in the gym on the Carter Group’s thirtieth floor.”“

Josie headed there straightaway. None of the staff tried to stop her again.

Chapter 233 It Wasn’t Him

The gym was empty. Josie instantly found Arnold running on a treadmill as he was at a very eye-catching spot. He was shirtless, revealing his firm muscles and athletic figure for all to see.

Josic took a deep breath and went to him, pressing a button to stop the treadmill.

Arnold finally stopped running. He panted and turned to her. “Are you taking out your anger on me? Did Dexter anger you again?”

Josie looked at him sternly. Her eyes burned with fury.

However, Arnold found her adorable and laughed. He reached out to pinch her cheek, but she stopped him. “What’s wrong with you?”

He had just finished exercising. His eyes were bright, and the air was thick with his pheromone.

“Did you deliberately arrange for us to have a walk that night?”

Arnold sluggishly withdrew his hand and replied. “I don’t understand what you’re saying.”

“Arnold!” Josie nearly lost her temper. “You keep using me to achieve your goals. Does it make you feel accomplished? Can you leave me alone?”

His smile gradually faded. He grabbed a towel and wiped the sweat on his neck.

“You think I did it?”

“I haven’t said anything, but you knew what I meant. It has to be you.” Josie felt his response confirmed that it was he who revealed the information.

A woman entered the gym. Josie had seen her before. Her name was Lillian. She came to Arnold and gave him a bottle of water.

Arnold leaned back and gulped a few mouthfuls of water before answering, “Russell Group is popular, so it’s normal that everyone knows about the construction site accident once the news broke out. It would be more surprising if I didn’t know anything.”

Josie looked up at him. “Are you telling me it was only a coincidence that we were together that night?”

“To be more accurate, I was with her. Arnold pointed at Lillian. Lillian flinched and seemed afraid of him.

Josie did not respond, but she was sure that Arnold was the culprit.

Arnold placed his hands on the treadmill and looked into her eyes. “Anyway, why would I want to expose the information?”

“Your project in Rivodia also had an accident involving your worker. Furthermore, Carter Group and Russell Group are rivals,” Josie spoke fast but was calm.

Arnold smiled at her. His eyes crinkled with mirth. “I get it. Dexter must have suspected you and given you trouble. That’s why you suspect me, right?”

Josie felt the confrontation was getting out of her control, but she could not stop I believe my suspicion is justified”

“Even though he accused you without basic?”

Josie was briefly speechless before retorting. That’s none of your business”

“Josic, you might think I’m lying” Arnold sighed and appeared helpless. “However, I have nothing to do

with this matter.”

“It has nothing to do with you?” Josie raised her tone. “You have better not be involved.”

After saying that, she turned on her phone and showed Arnold the screen as she blocked his contact “Since you’re not involved, let’s not see each other again to avoid unnecessary troubles”

She knew she had to protect herself and guard her identity. She could afford to divorce, at least for now.

Therefore, she needed to avoid provoking Dexter. To achieve that, she had to cut off all contact with Arnold.

Arnold’s gaze darkened. He looked at the faint bruise on her neck and asked, “Did he hit you?”

Josie frowned slightly and realized he was talking about the bruise Bleu had caused “No”

She turned around to leave, but Arnold grabbed her arm. I asked you a question! Did he hit you?”

Arnold gripped her arm tightly. His usually easygoing expression turned stern.

Tve told you. He didn’t!”

Chapter 234 Hereditary Mental Disorder

Josie was powerless to fight back.

Arnold dragged her to his office and would not let her go, no matter how hard she struggled.

He made Josie sit down. Then, he took out an ointment and applied it to her bruise. There was a hint of concern beneath the fury in his eyes..

Josie felt awkward. “I’m telling the truth. It wasn’t Dexter.”

It was hard to tell what Arnold was thinking. He snorted and asked, “Is there anything he won’t do?”

Josie stopped trying to explain.

She sat straight and replied, “Arnold, being nice to me now won’t make me forgive you.”

She sounded so childish that Arnold could not help but laugh. He leaned closer to her and asked, “Tell me. What have I done wrong that requires your forgiveness?”

Josie had a lot to say. However, before she could say anything, she could not help but realize he was right. He had not done anything wrong that required her forgiveness.

She fell silent with frustration. The emotions she had suppressed for the past two days finally burst out.

“I’m an insignificant blade of grass to you and Dexter. All I want is to live, yet you and Dexter keep forcing me to do your bidding. If I don’t do them well, you will kill me. How is this fair?” Josie’s eyes welled up with tears. She looked up and felt unbearable tightness in her chest. I only wish to live.”

Arnold could not bear seeing her like this. He placed his hand on her head, comforting her gently. “No one wants to kill you.”

“But you and Dexter are pushing me to the brink!” Josie could not stand it anymore. “You and Dexter are always scheming against each other, and I’m stuck in between, bearing the brunt from both sides. Arnold, can you please let me go?”

Josie watched Arnold’s expression darken. He did not respond, but she knew his answer, prompting her to

shudder in fear.

“Please release me. Perhaps I should never have come here. I was too rash.”

She stood up, but Arnold pressed her back into her seat. “I promise I will keep you and your family safe. If Dexter tries to kill you, you can come to me for help. Josie, I will never hurt you.”

He seemed so serious and sincere that Josie was confused.

Arnold released his grip and stood before the floor-to-ceiling window. He lit a cigarette and said. “Dextor’s mother had psychosis. It could be hereditary.”

The revelation struck Josie like lightning and stunned her to her spot. She asked in disbelief, “What?”

“During one of her severe psychotic episodes, she beat Dexter so severely that he had to be hospitalized.”

Arnold explained calmly, but Josie could not stop her heart from beating violently. She did not expect there to be such a tragic backstory. No wonder Arnold reacted so agitatedly when he saw her bruise.

“That’s impossible… Dexter never hit me. I’ve been with him for a long time, and he has never been.

violent.”

“Are you sure about that?”

Josie was stunned. She thought carefully and recalled the accident from that day. Does the time he crashes his car into someone else’s count?

Arnold flicked the cigarette ashes into the ashtray and continued. “He is genetically predisposed to psychosis and grew up in such a violent environment. How can he not be affected?”

Josic, you don’t know Dexter well.”

Josie sat still and did not move for a long time. She had no idea how she should process this revelation. All she knew was that her emotions were a mess. She was afraid but felt sad for him most of all.

Did Dexter grow up in that kind of environment? Suddenly, Josie understood why he always seemed hostile. and grim.

Before she left, Arnold added, “Remember what I told you just now. You can come to me for help any

time.”

Chapter 235 Don’t Do It Again

Russell Group’s public relation department suppressed the news about the accident on the construction

site.

The company spent a lot of money to appease the victim’s family. At the same time, investigations were still ongoing.

Josie was absent from work for two days. Fortunately, the company was not busy during this period. Moreover, everyone empathized with what happened to her during the company party. Therefore, no one criticized her.

Josie wanted peace, so she stayed in the villa and did not return to Mason Garden. Dexter did not object. and stayed with her. They slept in different rooms. Although they were not close, they still got along quite well.

Dexter went for a run alone in the early morning. Most house owners in this area were prominent figures in their fields. They smiled and greeted Dexter whenever they met. “Good morning, Mr. Russell.”

Dexter smiled in response to their greeting. He wore a black jacket and a Sports watch on his morning run. He ran on the dew-covered paths before taking the same way back to the villa.

Josie was still asleep at this hour. He thought about this and ran faster.

Then, he entered the house through the back gate. There was no one around. He walked past the yard and looked at the pond. There were about a dozen colorful carp in the pond. The water lilies were still withering in this season. Their dry leaves fluttered in the wind, hiding ripe tubers that would grow into new flowers in spring.

Dexter turned on the tap, allowing crystal-clear water to gush out from it. The pipes were connected to a mountain spring. The water had no trace of pollutants and was safe to drink.

Dexter splashed the water on his face and felt refreshed.

Then, he opened the bedroom door and saw Josie still asleep.

He quietly went to the kitchen to make breakfast. He had to be self-sufficient since there were no servants

in this villa.

He received two calls this morning. The first call was from Ivy to give him a report on the latest development. Her voice sounded a little hoarse. She had probably worked through the night.

“Ivy,” Dexter said while pouring a glass of milk.

Ivy answered nervously, “Yes, Mr. Russell.”

Ivy knew something was wrong. She raised her voice in protest. “Mr. Russell, have I done something wrong?”

“What do you think?”

Ivy had worked for Dexter for a long time and understood what he implied. She bit her lip and remained. silent for a long time before saying. I understand…”

“This is your final chance. You are to resign if you do this again.”

He did not bother to spare her dignity. His every word was imbued with threat and left her suffocating.

The second call came from Josic’s phone when he returned to the bedroom. He glanced at the screen and saw it was a call from someone named ‘Matt’

Dexter squinted and picked up the call immediately. He glanced at Josie from the corner of his eye and saw she was still asleep.

Jo Jo Matthew sounded drunk.

Dexter pinched his brow and replied coldly. “Dr. Sander.”

‘Click Matthew hung up immediately.

Dexter licked the corner of his lips and looked annoyed.

He deleted the call log and placed the phone back in its place. Then, he went to the bathroom to take a bath. Josie was awake when he came out of the bathroom. She sat on the bed with her feet bare and placed one foot on the quilt..

“What’s wrong?” Dexter approached her and placed a hand on her forehead.

Josie frowned and observed his gentleness with her. She could not sleep well since Arnold told her about Dexter’s situation.

It was hard to imagine that he suffered severe lashings in his childhood.

“What happened to your eyes?” Dexter looked closely at her swollen eyes and wondered if mosquitoes had bitten her.

They throbbed under his gaze. Josie’s right eyelid throbbed ever since she returned from meeting Arnold, making her feel even more frustrated than she already was.

Chapter 236 Who Told You

Dexter got up to find a hot compress for her eyes.

Josie rubbed her eyes and rolled to the other side of the bed to find her phone. She wanted to call. Matthew as she was worried that something would happen.

However, Dexter had already returned. He sat on the bed and patted her head. “Get up. Let me check your

eyes.

Josie had no choice but to let him touch her. Strangely, her fear disappeared.

The weather was good that day. She went out to the yard in her pajamas and messy hair and sat there to get some sunlight. She watched the warm sunlight shining on the white walls.

Dexter had left his black jacket on the bench. Josie picked it up and covered herself with it to stay warm.

As a student, she loved wearing her male classmates’ jackets. They always felt warmer than her own

After a while, Dexter came and urged her to wash up. He planned to bring her to see Laura and thank her for saving her that night.

Josie knew the visit would be different this time as he was going with her.

She was surprised to discover that Laura had been discharged. Moreover, her house was nearby. Although her home was slightly smaller, it had an antique architectural style.

It was nearly noon, but Laura was still sleeping.

Her father showed them a doctor’s certificate, stating that Laura had a slight concussion and needed to recuperate in peace.

Josie felt remorseful. “Mr. Brandel, it’s my fault. If not for me, Laura wouldn’t have gotten injured.*

Dexter placed his hand on her back. “It’s not your fault.”

Mr. Brandel looked at them cryptically before agreeing solemnly. “That’s right. It’s not your fault. Laura is doing okay. The doctor said she would recover with some rest. If anyone is to blame, it’s that scoundrel!”

Then, he frowned and added, “What about you? Did you get hurt?”

Josie shook her head.

“Don’t worry. Dexter will punish him for what he has done. You are now a Russell. He can never hope to remain in Wavery after what he had done to you!”

Mr. Brandel seemed to imply something.

Dexter’s eyes flashed briefly with anger upon hearing him. However, when talking to Josie, he softened his tone. “You should go in to see Laura. I will stay here and chat with Mr. Brandel”

There was a pavilion nearby. Dexter watched Josie until she walked out of sight before turning to the older man with a shallow smile. “Please lead the way”

The servants immediately served food and drinks at the pavilion. Mr. Brandel sipped tea and said, “Dexter, I was surprised to see you beat up that man at the party.”

Dexter appeared emotionless and clasped his hands before him. At the same time, he observed the window to Laura’s room.

“After all, it involved Mrs. Russell.”

Dexter promised calmly, “Laura saved my wife. I will make sure to repay this favor.”

Meanwhile, Josie sat in a chair in Laura’s room, waiting for her to wake up.

She sank into deep thoughts whenever she was alone. Her eyes turned dazed.

She knew Laura was awake but pretended to be asleep to avoid talking to her. Thus, she said. “Stop pretending. Isn’t it tiring?”

Laura did not respond. As expected, a person feigning sleep would never admit to being awake.

“Laura. I have a question. Do you know what kind of person Dexter’s mother was?” Josie had been thinking about this recently. Initially, she wanted to ask Dexter, but on further consideration, she felt it was better

not to.

Although Laura was an illegitimate daughter, she was still a daughter of the Brandel family, so she should know something.

As expected. Laura jumped up from her bed and stared at Josie. “Why do you suddenly ask this? Who told you about it?”

Josie observed her reaction and guessed, “Was she psychotic?”

Laura narrowed her eyes mysteriously. “Did Mr. Russell tell you about her?”

Chapter 237 Let’s Plant a Tree
The matter seemed to be a secret.

Josie saw Laura’s reaction and confirmed Arnold did not lie to her. “It’s true then.”

Laura appeared awkward. She got off the bed and stood on her bare feet. “It’s all in the past.” She paused. briefly before continuing. “Don’t mention this to him. It’s his sore spot. Do you understand?”
Josie had guessed that. However, Dexter knocked on the door before she could ask more questions. He must have been tired of waiting and came to urge her to leave.
“Jo”
Josie’s heart skipped a beat. She nodded at Laura and responded, “I’m coming”
After that, Dexter and Josie stayed in the villa for all three days of the New Year’s holiday. They did not return to Mason Garden.
Perhaps it was due to the festive season, or Josie deliberately avoided arguing with him. Their relationship. was quite amicable.
Josie secretly researched symptoms of psychosis. Unfortunately, it was too complicated for her to comprehend. She planned to ask Matthew about it one day
On the other hand, Dexter came to enjoy cooking and did not ask Julie to send food over. Instead, he cooked their meals and was quite good at it.
He made baked sablefish with white wine and lemon for lunch. He bought the ingredients and cooked everything by himself.
It was difficult to find sablefish. Josie had a sudden idea when he told her about this and suggested rearing. it in their pond.
However, Dexter was not amused. He brought her to the pond and explained, “These fishes swam into the pond from the spring. If you wish to try them, I can cook fish stew tomorrow.”
Between baked sablefish and fish stew, Josie preferred the latter. She liked food sourced locally and simple home-cooked food.
Dexter observed the gleam in her eyes and took note of her preferences. Then, he helped her tie her hair and asked casually, “Do you prefer it here or in Mason Garden?”

Josie looked at the carp in the pond. “Here.”
She paused briefly and explained, “When I was younger, Justin and I were sent to the countryside during the summer holidays. It was a rural village. There was a pond in front of the house and a vast wheat field at the back. During autumn, the wheat field turned into a sea of gold under the sun. It was a sight to behold. There was also a river nearby with carp and trout.”
Josie pondered briefly and gestured to Dexter the size of the trout. They were this big”
Dexter pursed his lips before relaxing into a smile.

He imagined Josie as a kid, folding up the hem of her pants to catch fish in the river. She would get her clothes all wet. The adults would scold her once she got home.
She must have been adorable.
Thus, he instantly figured out how they would live in the future.
“Josie!” Dexter called Josie to the yard after lunch. Someone had delivered many small peach trees to the yard. She had no idea how Dexter arranged it.
Josie ran outside and looked at the trees in disbelief. “You want to plant trees? It’s winter.”
Dexter had taken off his coat and took up a shovel. Tve consulted someone about it. He said they will
survive.”
Josie assumed he consulted an expert on this matter.
Although Josie was not entirely convinced, she still helped him to plant the trees.
The dozen of trees were spread out all over the yard. Josie asked while they watered the trees, “Will they blossom during spring?”
Josie stood straight and looked at the trees that had to survive winter. She felt sorrowful about the struggles they were about to face, yet she was also encouraged by their perseverance.
The yard will be a sight to behold if these trees survive and blossom in spring.
Suddenly, Josie felt a spark of anticipation for the days to come.
Dexter bent over the plants to water them. He was good-looking even in such a posture. Moreover, his expression no longer seemed cold but became more youthful.

Chapter 238 She Angered Him
Josie’s heart skipped a beat. She found it hard to believe that the handsome man before her had a hereditary psychological condition.

She felt anguished whenever she thought about it. Then, she took a deep breath and excused herself, saying she wanted to return to her room to wash her hands.

In actuality, she sneaked away to make a phone call. “Matt”
Matthew was surprised to receive her call. He sounded unnatural and a little hesitant. “Jo.”
“I want to consult you about something. I have a friend… His mother had a psychological condition. What is the possibility of him inheriting it?”
“What kind of psychological condition did she have?”
“Erm. She would turn violent and uncontrollable. She even hit her child during one of her extreme episodes.”
Matthew pondered briefly before replying. “I can help you to ask a colleague in the psychiatry department.”
“Sure, let me know once you find out about it.”
Then, she hung up and put away the phone. She glanced out of the window and discovered Dexter was no longer there. Thus, she hurried out of the room and opened the door, only to find a lengthy figure blocking her way.
Dexter stood before her in clothes stained with mud. He looked down at her with cold and emotionless
eyes.
That chilling calmness sent panic through Josie’s heart.
“Dexter?” Did he hear it?
However, Dexter remained silent. Josie tried to explain, only to be interrupted, “Who told you.”
“I wasn’t talking about.”
“Was it Arnold?”
Josie wanted to deny Arnold’s involvement but could not say anything. She could not lie to Dexter
“Please listen to me. I have no ill intentions. I only wish to
Dexter dropped the shovel from his hand. He turned around without a word and walked out of sight. Jusic opened her mouth but could not speak. She had never seen him look so alone and disconsolite.

He disappeared for a few days after that incident
She only heard about him again when the tabloid speculated he was involved with a female entrepreneur They were photographed entering the same hotel.

The design department was buzzing with gossip about the scandal. However, Josie felt terrible, as if she had been plunged into icy waters.
She wanted to find Dexter to explain the misunderstanding. She moved back to Mason Garden, hoping to see him. However, he never showed up. Then, she went to his office on the top floor but could not find him. The secretary would only say that he was away.
It was the final work day before the holiday began. Josie woke up early, as usual, to go to work. She had no idea which servant made breakfast, but everything on the table was the food she hated.
That worsened her mood and left her without appetite. She drank from a glass of honey water while typing on her phone to instruct her subordinates about work.
Julie knew Josie’s preference but did not say anything. Josie had an idea about what was going on.
It made her feel depressed. She glanced at the unending snow outside the window and recalled the historical drama Alice was recently obsessed with.
Dozens of royal mistresses fought for the king’s affection. They schemed and conspired against each other, securing their position by getting rid of rivals or acting pitifully to secure favor. The king’s love flitted among them..
It did not matter who he liked. Anyone who lost his favor would lose everything.
What’s the point of all this?
Josie felt a sudden solidarity with the royal mistresses in the drama.
Suddenly, she heard someone come in, and the maid greeted, “Mr. Russell.”
Josie did not look up but left the table with her glass of honey water. However, Dexter grabbed her wrist and said coldly, “Have breakfast with me.”
Tve eaten breakfast and have to rush off to work, I don’t want to lose my attendance bonus by being late.”
The dining room was silent. Even Julie did not dare to make a sound. The atmosphere was strained by the tension between Dexter and Josie.

Chapter 239 A Chance Meeting

Dexter dragged Josie back to her seat. “Ill pay you double.”

The servant immediately removed the food on the table and replaced them with the food Dexter liked.

Josie’s expression darkened. The new servant stood by the table and seemed eager to please Dexter. “It’s my fault. I don’t know Mrs. Russell’s food preferences.”

Dexter seemed famished. He ate without taking off his coat. There were flakes of snow on his shoulders.

After a few bites of food, he glanced at Josie’s glass of honey water and responded, “There’s no need to apologize. Did you hear her say anything?”

Josie pursed her lips. She had thought for many days about how she should explain the matter. However, she could not bring herself to speak.

“I heard you were looking for me recently.” He looked at her with cold indifference.

“You seemed busy recently. I have a document requiring your signature but could never find you” Josie forced out a smile.

She could not understand why Dexter was doing this. She meant well for him, but he repaid her with cold. abandonment and humiliated her with scandals.

“You can give it to the secretary.”

“Sure.”

That was the end of their conversation.

The last day of work came to an end. Josie could not stop thinking about what had happened during breakfast. She packed her things absentmindedly and left the design department with Alice and the others. Meanwhile, Alice discussed the latest popular film with Kevan.

“Let’s watch it. I have to return home tomorrow. It will be half a month before we meet again.”

“Sure.”

“Ms. Jo, do you want to go? It’s my treat.” Kevan’s words awakened Josie from her daze.

Josie did not care about the movie. However, she knew she could not meet Dexter if she returned to Mason Garden. Even if she did see him, he would only mock her with his sarcasm.

“Sure”

By now, most of the employees had left the building. Thus, the elevator was much less crowded than before. However, no one expected to see Dexter when the elevator door opened.

Dexter seemed cold and stern, as usual. A secretary stood behind him.

Josie uniled stiffly. It was unusual for him to be here at this hour.

Even Kevan was a little stunned. He tugged Josie’s sleeve and greeted, “Mr. Russell”

Kevan had only seen Dexter a handful of times since joining Russell Group. He was in awe of his powerful

presence every time.

Josie looked at Dexter and remained silent.

It made Kevan nervous.

Dexter nodded in acknowledgment of his greeting and moved to the side to create more space. It meant he invited them to join him in the elevator.

Kevan and Alice dared not refuse and dragged Josie into the elevator.

Josie stood stiffly in the cramped corner. She could not escape Dexter’s minty fragrance and instantly felt awake.

The elevator traveled down slowly, prolonging the awkward silence between them.

Josie chose to play with her phone.

The elevator finally stopped. At the same time, Alice’s phone rang. “Hello? Mom?”

“What? I will go home now! Wait for me!”

Then, she turned to Josie and whispered excitedly. “My mother arranged for me to have a blind date with a handsome man. I have to leave now. You can watch the movie with Kevan.”

“Make sure to grab this chance,” Alice said and winked hintingly. She disapproved of Josie’s husband and felt Kevan was a better choice.

Hearing Alice’s tone, Josie lost any desire to play with her phone. She glanced at Kevan and noticed he seemed awkward. Even his ears were red.

The elevator door closed again. Josie sensed the chilly aura from the body beside her.

Dextor’s voice filled her ears. “Are you going to watch a movie?”

Kevan was stunned by Dexter suddenly striking up a conversation with him. He thought Dexter did it to understand his employees better.

At the same time, Kevan thought it would be advantageous to flatter his employer.

“Yes, Mr. Russell. It’s recently been a popular romantic film.”

Chapter 240 A Steamy Scene

Unexpectedly, Dexter did not respond or look at Kevant

Thus, Kevan had choice but to shut up.

The elevator arrived at the underground car park. Josie was the first to leave and did not spare a backward glance Kevan bid Dexter goodbye before running to catch up with Josie

Dexter frowned upon seeing them.

The secretary sensed his bad mood and felt nervous.

“What’s the film about?”

“Oh The secretary pondered before explaining awkwardly, T. I haven’t had time to watch it, but I read the reviews. I think it has a steamy scene.””

She had worked for Dexter for many years Thus, she knew what Dexter wanted to hear and what would make him angry.

As expected, Dexter’s expression darkened rapidly upon hearing her.

Meanwhile, Kevan caught up with Josic.

Many people were already waiting outside the cinema.

The cinema was located on a plaza belonging to Dester. They came out of the underground supermarket and saw it was crowded everywhere. Moreover, the place was prosperous due to its proximity to Russell Group

Kevan bought fried chicken and popcorn for Josie, but she refused it repeatedly. She would have liked those things a few years ago, but she had since learned to take care of herself and had not had junk food for a long time.

Moreover, she had lived in Mason Garden for so long that her taste bud became refined.

Who knew it was that easy to develop a different habit?

In short, it was hard to return to ordinary life after one got used to luxury.

Josie stared at Kevan’s sad expression dazedly until the surrounding noises alerted her that the movie was about to begin.

She took the bucket of popcorn from Kevan and smiled, Tll have the popcorn”

Josie was twenty-two years old but usually appeared mature beyond her young age. Thus, Kevan was surprised to see her relaxed and genume smile. It made her seem even more youthful than usual.

Moreover, with her fair and flawless skin, her smile reminded him of white pear blossoms in full bloom

Kevan was briefly stunned before running to catch up with Josic

Their seats were at the back. The movie begau right after they were seated

The opening credit listed the movie’s investors One of them was Dexter’s recently rumores gulfriend.

Josie pretended not to notice it.

The film was about two girls in love with the same guy. One boldly expressed her love, while the other concealed her feelings. The film focused on the friendship of the two girls who were best friends. On the other hand, the male lead turned out to be a scumbag the audience despised. He was indecisive and desired both girls. He arrogantly believed he deserved to have everything.

A few audience members began to shed tears halfway into the movie.

There was a scene in the bathroom where the two girls fought. They pulled at each other’s clothes and splashed water at each other. Accusations were thrown around, and tears were shed. The scene ended with them apologizing to each other.

Josie was focused on the movie. The light from the screen shone on her face and made her glow alluringly.

“I thought you were my best friend! How could you fall in love with him?”

The girl slapped her friend.

“Two…. two years… Did you sleep with him? You make me nauseous. How could you be so shameless?”

The other girl slapped back and tried to tear off her friend’s clothes.

“You d’mn b*tch!”

However, the girl grabbed her hand before she could slap her. “You call me a b*tch? Have you no conscience? Did you ever truly see me as your friend? How dare you blurt such blatant lies?”

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Only idots will let themselves be tricked by the same lies repeatedly.

“Ms. Jo?” A soft voice called out to her, waking her from her thoughts.