An Understated Dominance: By Marina Vittori​

Dahlia Nicholson and Dustin Rhys have been married for three years. After Dahlia achieves rapid success, she decides to end her marriage with Dustin, viewing him as a burden. Little does she know that all her accomplishments were actually thanks to him.

CHAPTER 1
My wife is a CEO, she always hates me for being lazy and wants to divorce me. But she doesn't know that her success is bestowed by me.

“Dustin, here is the divorce agreement prepared by Ms. Nicholson. All you need to do is sign them.”

In the president’s office of the Quine Group, the secretary, Lyra Blaine, placed a piece of A4 paper on the table. A man sat opposite her, dressed in plain clothing.

“Divorce? What do you mean?”

Dustin Rhys was taken aback.

“Do you not understand what I’m saying? Your marriage with Ms. Nicholson is over. You’re not even on the same level anymore. Your existence is nothing but a smear on the president’s reputation!”

Lyra pulled no punches as she spoke.

“A smear on her reputation?” Dustin frowned. “Is that how she thinks of me?”

Back when they first got married, the Nicholson family was in ruinous debt. He was the one who helped them when they were at their lowest point. Now that they were rich, Dahlia Nicholson was ready to just kick him out.

“Something like that.” Lyra poked her chin toward the magazine on the table. A photo of a beautiful woman was printed on the front page. “Look at the headline on this magazine, Dustin. Ms. Nicholson’s net worth has hit one billion in the course of just three years, a feat no short of a miracle. She’s now the most desired woman in Swinton! With all this, she’s destined for greatness. But you, you’re just a regular joe. You don’t deserve her at all. I hope that you’ll see some sense and do the right thing.”

When Dustin remained silent, Lyra frowned.

“I know you’re not happy with this, but this is reality,” she continued. “You might have helped Ms. Nicholson when she was in trouble, but she has repaid you for everything you’ve done for her over the last three years. In fact, you’re the one who owes her now!”

“Is our marriage just a business deal to her, then?” Dustin took a deep breath to suppress the emotions within. “If she wants to divorce me, let her speak to me herself.”

“Ms. Nicholson is very busy. She doesn’t need to trouble herself with such trifling matters.”

“Trifling matters?” Dustin was stunned. Then he laughed bitterly. “Is that so? Is divorce a trifling matter to her? She can’t even find the time to speak to me. Truly, she’s that unattainable now!”

“Dustin, don’t delay this any longer.” Lyra pushed the divorce agreement toward him again. “Just sign here and you’ll get a car and a house as compensation. On top of that, you’ll also get eight million dollars. This is more than what you’ll be able to earn in your lifetime!”

“Eight million dollars is a lot, but…I don’t need it. I will sign the divorce papers if she comes personally. Otherwise, I won’t sign anything,” Duston said coldly.

“Don’t go too far, Dustin!” Lyra slammed her hand on the table. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you. With all her power and resources, Ms. Nicholson can divorce you easily. It’s only because she appreciates her past relationship with you that she’s allowing you to keep your dignity intact. Don’t provoke her!”

“My dignity?” Dustin was a little amused by that. She didn’t even want to speak to him directly to divorce him. What kind of dignity was that? Moreover, if she really did appreciate their relationship, then why was she threatening him now?

“I don’t think we have anything else to talk about, then.”

Unwilling to argue, Dustin stood up and made to leave.

“Dustin Rhys! You—”

Just as Lyra was about to lose her cool, a curvy woman in a long black dress walked in. Her skin was as white as snow, and her features were delicate. Her lofty aura and curvaceous figure made her look like a goddess right out of a painting.

“You’re finally here.”

Dustin felt complicated emotions when he saw the beautiful woman. They had been married for three years, during which they treated each other with care and respect. But this was how it ended. He still didn’t know what he had done wrong.

“I’m sorry for being late, I was caught up with something else.”

Dahlia Nicholson sat down. Her expression was as impassive as ever.

“You certainly are busy, if you need your secretary to help you deal with your divorce,” Dustin said.

Hearing this, Dahlia frowned slightly. However, she did not explain herself. Instead, she said, “Since you’re here, let’s get straight to the point. Let’s end this on a pleasant note. I’m sorry I have to do this to you, so you can have the car and the house, plus eight million dollars as alimony. How does that sound?”

At that, she placed a card on the table.

“Do you really think our relationship can be measured by money?” Dustin asked.

“Too little? That’s alright. Let me know what you want. I’ll give you anything within my power,” Dahlia said placidly.

“I don’t think you understood me. Let me rephrase my question. Are money and power that important to you?” Dustin was truly bewildered.

Dahlia went over to the windows and looked out over the city. There was determination in her eyes when she said, “To me, yes, they’re very important.”

“You’ve earned enough to feed yourself for the rest of your life. Why do this?”

“Dustin, that’s where you and I diverge in philosophy. You’ll never understand what I really want.” Dahlia shook her head in disappointment.

They weren’t just incompatible in status and power; they were also incompatible in their principles. Most importantly, she did not see any hope for the future in him.

“You’re right. How would I know what you’re thinking?” Dustin laughed bitterly. “All I know is to cook for you when you’re hungry, prepare your coat when it’s cold out, and carry you to the hospital when you’re sick.”

“There’s no point in going into this now.” Dahlia’s expression held complicated emotions, but it was soon covered up by determination.

“You’re right.” Dustin nodded without any emotion. “I heard that you’ve been close with the heir of the Nolan family. Is it because of him?”

Dahlia was about to deny it when she gave it a second thought. In the end, she nodded.

“You can say that.”

“Okay. I hope you’re happy with him.” Dustin smiled and signed the divorce agreement without any more hesitation. All he felt now was disappointment. Ironically, today was also their wedding anniversary. There was cruel humor in divorcing him on the day they had gotten married.

“I don’t want the money, I just want that crystal necklace back. My mother left it to me before she died so that I can give it to my wife.”

“Okay.”

Dahlia nodded and gave him the crystal necklace.

“From today onward, we will have nothing to do with each other!”

Dustin put on the necklace and left. He had no more gentleness in his expression; all that was left was distant aloofness.

“Did I do the right thing, Lyra?” Dahlia asked hesitantly.

Even though she was the one who asked for the divorce, she didn’t feel happy at all when it was finalized.

“Of course you did!” Lyra nodded. “You have the right to pursue happiness. Dustin does not deserve you at all. He’ll only bring you down with him. You’re destined to be the most powerful woman in Swinton!”

Dahlia did not answer her. As she watched Dustin leave, she felt as if she was losing something precious.

Chapter 484

Dustin frowned. “That meant it was the Hills that did this?”

He had been kind enough to have Edmund deliver them the medicinal wine to treat Paul. Instead of being grateful, they attacked Edmund. No matter the reason, he was not going to let them go easily.

Dustin felt guilty. “I’m sorry, Mr. Robinson. I put you into this mess. You wouldn’t have endured such suffering if I didn’t send you there.”

Edmund forced out a smile. “No, it has nothing to do with you. I was just unlucky.”

“Don’t worry. Mr. Robinson. I will get revenge for you. It doesn’t matter who did this to you. I will make them pay!” Dustin vowed.

“Mr. Rhys, the Hills are a powerful and influential family that we can’t afford to offend. Please don’t act impulsively.” Edmund grew agitated. It was one thing for him to be beaten, but if he was the reason Dustin was harmed, he would never forgive himself.

“Don’t worry about me. You just need to make sure you get better. I’ll deal with this matter.” He took out a pill and fed it to Edmund before standing up to leave.

“Dustin, where are you going?” Abigail felt inexplicably uneasy.

“To get revenge.” He patted her shoulders.

“Take care of your dad. Call me anytime if something happens.” He left as soon as he said that.

Half an hour later, Dustin arrived at the front gates of the Hill family residence. Taking in the luxurious villa, Dustin walked up to it with deliberate steps, his expression dark.

“Stand right there! Who are you?” The guard yelled after noticing him.

Dustin asked coldly, “Are you the ones who have been standing guard the whole day?”

“So what if we are?” He cocked his head up. He wasn’t afraid of offending Dustin purely because of the clothes he was wearing. It was obvious Dustin wasn’t from a prestigious family.

“Very well. Did you guys beat up a man who delivered some medicinal wine today?” Dustin asked again.

Realization dawned on his face. “Oh, you mean that old man? It just so happened that he ran into Young Mr. Hill, so he got roughed up.”

“You mean Torben Hill?” Dustin narrowed his eyes.

The guard glared at him fiercely. “Hey! Who are you to call Young Mr. Hill by his full name? That’s Sir Hill to you.”

“What’s the reason?”

“Reason?” The guard was puzzled for a moment before bursting into laughter. “Are you fucking joking? Does Young Mr. Hill need a reason to beat someone up? Peasants like you are even below his pet dogs. He can just kill you without reason, not to mention beat you up!”

“Is this how the Hill family operates? Disregarding human life for no reason?” Dustin’s expression grew colder.

“Who the fuck are you?” The guard sized him up. “You aren’t that old man’s son, are you? What? Are you here for revenge? Open up your fucking eyes, and look at where you are!”

“Punk, this is not a place for you to act so recklessly. Scram! Otherwise, your father will be the last of his bloodline!”

The rest of the guards laughed mockingly, with Dustin looking like a clown to them. They had gotten used to their tyrannical bullying and wouldn’t care about mere peasants.

“Last question. Did you join in the beating?” Dustin’s expression was calm, but his eyes were frosty.

“So what if we did? Get the fuck out of here before we make you a crippled man!” The guard yelled.

“It’s good that you admitted to it.” Dustin nodded determinedly at his words, and without another word, hel landed a forceful punch on the guard’s abdomen.

The impact resembled a truck collision, and a thunderous explosion sounded as the guard flew backward. He crashed heavily into the gate, with the sturdy metal gates denting under the force.

The guard was stuck to the gate, every bone in his body was shattered as blood gushed out from his mouth and nose. He died on the spot.

Chapter 485

“What?” The rest of the guards froze at the sight of their buddy, who died with just a punch. They never imagined Dustin would be so vicious. It was obvious that he didn’t have any respect for the Hills if he would kill someone over a disagreement.

“How dare you!”

“The audacity!”

“You must be tired of living! To actually kill someone from the Hill family!”

After a momentary daze, the few remaining guards brandished their knives and yelled angrily at Dustin.

Dustin stood calmly in place. His cold gaze scanning them left and right, he asked, “Did you guys also beat Mr. Robinson up?”

“What?” Their pupils constricted as they unconsciously took a few steps back. It felt like they had been marked by a predator. However, they soon realized the absurdity of it. They were at the Hill family residence!

What was there to be afraid of when they were only up against a single person?

“You punk! If you don’t want to die, surrender immediately, or don’t blame us for being merciless!” The guard on the left took two steps forward, his expression hostile.

A resounding bang rang out. With a kick, Dustin propelled him back into the wall. As blood sprayed out of his mouth, his lifeless body collapsed onto the ground.

The guard on the right was bewildered. “You fucking-” He was about to attack when another kick left him stuck on the wall. In the span of a few breaths, only one guard was left standing among the four of them.

“I–I’m warning you. Don’t try anything! I didn’t do anything. It’s none of my business!” Taking in the sight of his dead and crippled buddies, his face lost all color, and his legs trembled from the shock.

“I’ll give you a chance. Get Torben out here!” Dustin demanded coldly.

“Okay! Just wait!” The remaining guard didn’t hesitate and rushed inside immediately.

Not long after, nearly hundreds of people stormed out of the manor. “Who dared cause chaos in our residence?

Torben led the way in front with his head held high. Following closely behind him was their head of security and a large group of elite guards.

“Young Mr. Hill, that’s the punk!” The guard who escaped earlier pointed at Dustin. “He not only spoke ill of you, he even killed my good buddies just now!”

“What?” After taking a closer look, Torben let out an audible scoff. “So it’s you. What’s the matter? I heard you’re here to seek revenge.”

“Are you the one who beat up Mr. Robinson?‘ Dustin asked coldly.

“Mr. Robinson?” Torben raised an eyebrow and smiled teasingly. “Oh you mean that old thing? That’s right, I’m the one who did it. What about it?”

“Why?” Dustin questioned.

“Why?” Torben let out a chuckle. “That’s new.”

He flashed Dustin a devious smile. “I have always acted without reason. It depends on my preferences. Simply speaking. I do whatever I want. Understand?”

“Yeah.” Dustin nodded. “Since you don’t seem to speak reason, I have nothing else to say to you. Today, I will make you a crippled man and drag you in front of Mr. Robinson for an apology.”

“Make me a crippled man?” While Torben was initially taken by surprise, he soon chortled in laughter. “Hey punk, you’re quite the wild person! Do you know you’re in the Hill family residence? This is an extremely dangerous place. What makes you think you can show off here shamelessly?”

With a calm demeanor, Dustin responded, “My two fists right here.”

“Bravo, bravo!” Torben grinned. “Since you don’t seem to value your life, you can’t blame me for what I’m about to do. Kill him!”

“Charge!” After receiving the order, the hundreds of elite guards brandished their knives. They charged at Dustin at the same time with the overwhelming urge to kill.

Dustin didn’t back down and walked forward with a stoic expression, every step leaving a deep imprint on the ground.

Chapter 486

With the distance closing in and only a few meters left between both parties, Dustin’s knees bent slightly before he stepped forcefully onto the ground. He propelled forward like a rocket, following an explosion–like noise that left a crater in its wake. What was left behind in his path were groans and splattered blood.

Protected by his energy sphere, the elite guards were sent flying before they could even touch him. Some suffered broken limbs, while others died instantly. No one could put up a fight against him. Dustin was like a fierce tiger preying upon a flock of sheep–unstoppable and invincible. Within a few minutes, half of the hundreds of elite guards had collapsed to the ground.

“Damn it, this punk has skills!” Torben frowned as he watched Dustin go on his rampage. The Hill family’s elite guards were the cream of the crop. It was a sight to see them fall one after the other.

“Young Mr. Hill, if my observation serves me right, that guy should be a divine–level martial artist.” The head of security, clad in a black outfit, suddenly commented.

“Divine–level martial artist? Aren’t you one as well? How confident are you?” Torben responded. To be head of security for the Hill family, one had to be at least a divine–level martial artist.

He was confident. “Don’t worry, Young Mr. Hill. Dealing with this guy will be a piece of cake.”

“Very well. Don’t kill him later, just make him crippled. I want to enjoy playing with him later!” Torben sneered.

He smirked. “No problem!”

While they were talking, the fight in front of them was coming to an end. Hundreds of guards were sprawled on the ground as anguished moans and groans filled the air from the wounded and the crippled.

The head of security clapped as he walked up front. With a smile, he said, “I have to admit, kid, you’re skilled. It’s a pity you have encountered me today.”

Dustin spat out two words. “Get lost.”

“Hah! You have quite the temper for your age.” His expression darkened. “Today, let me show you how big the world is. You aren’t the only skilled one out there!”

As soon as he said that, he jumped on his toes and propelled forward like a bullet. The next second, a loud bang rang out. The head of security had just flown forward when he rebounded more than 20 meters from the impact. It was as if he had been hit by a train, his head and torso buried into the ground, leaving only his two feet hanging outside that still twitched occasionally.

“What?” Torben was shocked by the turn of events. The Hill family’s head of security was a divine–level martial artist, but he was defeated with just one move. How the fuck was it possible?

“It’s your turn now.” Dustin turned his attention toward Torben and approached him slowly.

“Rhys! I’m warning you–don’t try anything! I am a direct descendant of the Hill family. If you touch me, I’ll make sure you die a cruel death!” Torben yelled cowardly.

“The Hill family name is not your immunity card. It might work on someone else, but not me!” In a flash, Dustin was already in front of Torben and threw a forceful punch to his abdomen.

Torben screamed in anguish before he was lifted up high. Dustin slammed him to the ground, crushing his knees in the process, and he spurted blood all over.

“Stop right there!” Suddenly, a huge number of armed soldiers swarmed out of all comers. The key members of the Hill family had come after hearing the news.

“Insolent bastard! Who gave you the courage to act like this on our family grounds!”

“Release him! Otherwise, there will be nothing left of you!”

“Surround him! If he moves, kill him immediately.!”

A wave of discontented admonishment rang out. In the blink of an eye, Dustin was completely surrounded.

Chapter 487

Dustin looked around him and found himself completely surrounded. What greeted him was a dense crowd of the Hill family’s elite. He noticed a few familiar faces among the crowd, including Autumn and Patrick, who stood out especially.

“Dustin?” Upon arriving at the scene, Patrick was stunned, appearing greatly astonished. He had first thought it was someone who didn’t know any better when he heard the news. He didn’t expect that person to be Dustin.

Autumn’s expression turned dark when he recognized the person. “You brat! So it’s you! That’s some courage you’ve got! How dare you hurt my son? Release him immediately!”

“Release him!”

‘Release him now!”

The elite members of the Hill family began clamoring, each one of them glowering with a murderous look on their faces.

When he saw reinforcements arriving, the previously flustered Torben straightened his posture and arrogantly declared, “Hey, punk, weren’t you being arrogant earlier? Why are you silent now? You aren’t frightened, are you?

“Let me tell you the truth: the power you are seeing before you is just the tip of the iceberg of what the Hill family is capable of. I know you have some skills, but so what? The Hill family has numerous experts and highly–skilled individuals. Killing you is as easy as crushing an ant.

“I’m giving you a chance now. Kneel before me, and lick my shoes clean. And I might spare your life!”

After he said that, Torben spat out a mouthful of phlegm stained with blood on his shoe.

“Are you seeking death?” Dustin raised an eyebrow in response.

“Hah! Do you dare touch me? Open up your eyes! You’re surrounded by my people. If you act rashly, you’ll die for sure!” Torben sneered, looking smug.

“It seems like you haven’t realized the gravity of the situation. It’s alright, let me show you how karma works.”

With that, Dustin stomped on Torben’s knee, bending it 90 degrees into an unnatural position. A gush of blood splattered out in all directions as his bone pierced his flesh.

Torben was stunned before letting out a high–pitched, anguished scream. The pain was so intense that he rolled on the ground.

“Dustin. Let’s talk it out. Don’t be rash!” Patrick was shocked. If Dustin only injured their guards, he could still get away with it considering his previous merit. But it would be a different situation altogether if he attacked Torben.

“Bastard! How dare you continue your assault! You must be tired of living!” Autumn was enraged and shot a
menacing glare in Dustin’s direction when he saw his son’s leg getting crushed.

Dustin ignored him and stomped heavily on Torben’s other leg, leading him to let out another anguished scream. His face contorted in pain as tears streamed down his cheeks, losing all of his previous arrogance.

Autumn’s anger reached a tipping point as he screeched, “You bastard! You’re dead meat! Your whole family is dead meat!”

It was as if Dustin didn’t hear him as he lifted his feet two more times, breaking both of Torben’s arms. In a short amount of time. Torben had lost the use of all four limbs and was suffering from excruciating pain.

“Be patient; this is just the start. I’ll return the pain and suffering you put Mr. Robinson through twofold.” Dustin grinned, looking like the devil. He took out a silver needle and, with extreme speed, pierced it into Torben’s governor vessel on his back. It penetrated into his body, disappearing instantly. On the surface, there didn’t seem to be any traces of the needle left.

Chapter 488

Torben’s pain increased immensely, and he let out miserable screams.

“You despicable bastard! There is no animosity between us. Why did you stoop to such heinous acts!” After screaming. Autumn gradually regained his composure. However, the murderous look in his eyes only intensified.

“No animosity? Why don’t you ask your son what he’s done?” Dustin finally looked up.

“No matter what my son did, that’s not an excuse for you to assault someone here!” Autumn declared fiercely.

“All of you truly have the same corrupt principles. Since you can’t be reasoned with, don’t blame me for resorting to violence.” Dustin impassively declared. “I’m giving you three days to prepare. In three days, I want to see your son apologize to the victim. Otherwise, you’ll bear the consequences!”

“Kid, did you think you could leave safely after injuring someone here? Do you think we are at a public playground?” Autumn’s rage was boiling.

“If I want to stay, nobody can make me leave. If I want to leave, nobody can make me stay either.” With that, he kicked Torben away, then turned around to leave.

“Kill him!” Torben was seeing red as he yelled.

The group of elite Hill family members charged at him. If it weren’t for Torben being held hostage previously. they would have acted much earlier. Without the person in his hands, they could finally attack. Nobody had ever walked out alive after daring to cause trouble at the Hill family residence. Not even God!

However, ten minutes later, the final guard fell to the ground with a loud thud. Autumn and the remaining onlookers were bewildered. Taking in the figure standing in a pool of blood in the distance, their faces were filled with horror, as if they were staring at a monster.

They had mobilized a good two to three hundred lighters, yet the resulting outcome was everyone lying in a pool of blood within ten minutes. It didn’t matter if they were low–level martial artists or divine–level martial artists; no one could stand against him.

The Hill family, established for over a hundred years, had never encountered such a formidable opponent. It wasn’t an exaggeration to say Dustin had single–handedly destroyed the Hill family’s array of highly–skilled fighters, dismantling their legacy as a martial arts family.

In the end, Dustin left. Nobody could make him stay, and no one dared make him stay either. Silence engulfed the entire Hill family courtyard.

“W–what monster is that punk!” Autumn swallowed with difficulty, his back drenched in sweat. He never would have thought the Hill family elites would face such a crushing defeat by one man.

“Uncle Autumn, you seem to have offended someone you shouldn’t have.” Patrick wiped the sweat off his forehead, trying his best to calm himself down. It finally dawned on him that Dustin didn’t stop Paul’s punch that day by some miraculous coincidence. It was pure talent!

From his actions earlier, Dustin must be at least a fully developed divine–level martial artist. That meant, other than being a grandmaster, he had no competition. The problem was that Dustin was only in his early twenties.

His talent in martial arts was simply astounding if he managed to achieve such a feat at his age.

“Ha! Don’t joke with me!” Autumn’s expression grew menacing after he calmed down. “I’ll admit that kid is skilled. But don’t forget, we still have our shadow guards!”

Patrick frowned. “Uncle Autumn, the shadow guards are the Hill family’s hidden trump card. We can only deploy them when pushed to the brink of death. We’ll also need Grandpa’s permission. We can’t just use them at will.”

“I don’t care!” Autumn’s face was contorted in rage. “I won’t accept this treatment! I’m going to kill that kid!”

Chapter 489

Three resounding tolls of bells echoed throughout the Hill family residence. This prompted a large number of key family members to swiftly gather at the meeting hall. The Hill family had a clear rule that if warning bells were sounded, it meant a major incident had occurred within the family.

No matter where they were or what they were up to, they were required to head immediately to the meeting hall.

“Autumn, what the hell are you doing? Who permitted you to ring the bell?” Spring had arrived with a few of his aides and strode into the meeting hall. He noticed that most of the key family members were already gathered.

The family members were drawn to the meeting hall by the sound of the bell, not yet knowing what had transpired. Since the Hill family residence was enormous, surrounding an entire mountain, those residing behind the mountains didn’t hear the commotion at the front gates.

Autumn’s expression was gloomy. “Spring! Someone had gone on a killing rampage at our residence. If I hadn’t rung the bell our family’s legacy would soon be reduced to ruins!”

“Oh? Who has such courage to start trouble with our family?” Spring was instantly agitated.

“It’s that Dustin kid!” Autumn gritted his teeth. “That kid is audacious and arrogant. He openly disrespects our family just because he thinks he’s got some skills. He not only injured two to three hundred of our elite members, but he also crippled my son!”

“Dustin? How could it be him?” Spring furrowed his brows, slightly surprised. “Are you sure you didn’t get the wrong person?”

“How would I get the wrong person? Even if that kid was burned to ashes. I would still recognize him!” Autumn’s expression was one of pure resentment.

“Everything must have a reason. Why would he do such a thing?” Spring questioned.

“No reason could ever justify his heinous acts!” Autumn insisted indignantly.

"Spring, just look at my son. Look at how badly he was beaten up!” He waved his hand, and soon, Torben was carried in carefully on a stretcher. He was covered in blood and had severed limbs, and his face was contorted in pain as he wailed incessantly.

The horrifying sight caused an uproar among the family members. Torben was a direct descendant of the family. He was also someone the family nurtured with great care. Naturally, witnessing him reduced to such a battered state caused a significant commotion.

“Dustin has gone too far! We must make him pay for his actions!”

“That’s right! We must capture him so that it can serve as a warning to others!”
Everyone present spoke fervently with righteous indignation.

“Everyone, please quiet down. I have something to say.” At that moment, Patrick walked up and said calmly.” Uncle Spring, after investigating, I found that Torben was the one who started this fiasco.”

Spring raised his eyebrows. “Oh? Why?”

“Dustin had asked someone to deliver a bottle of medicinal wine today to treat Grandpa’s illness. However, things were intentionally made difficult for the person at the front gates. Not only did Torben smash the bottle, he almost killed him. That was why Dustin came to take revenge.” Patrick explained the situation in detail.

“What?! Is that true, Autumn?” Spring turned his attention to Autumn.

“So what? He’s just a servant. What’s the big deal about beating him up? Is he worth being compared to my son?” Autumn confidently justified his actions.

“A servant is indeed not worth mentioning. But what about Grandpa’s medicinal wine?” Patrick rebuked him,” Torben is taking Grandpa’s health as a joke. Don’t you think that is disgraceful behavior?”

“You cut the crap!” Autumn’s expression shifted slightly. “Who knows if the medicinal wine was poisoned? My son might have stopped him because he had a good eye and realized the wine was tampered with!”

“That is just your one–sided opinion,” Patrick said impassively.

“Shut up!” Autumn glared at him. “Are you suspecting me? How dare you point fingers at someone with a higher standing than yours?” Since he couldn’t argue against him, Autumn pulled rank. But that made him more suspicious.

“Enough! Stop arguing!” Spring slammed his hand on the table to stop their dispute. “Autumn, I will investigate this matter thoroughly. Go and get Torben treated.”

“Investigate what? My son has been battered to such a state! No matter what, I will get my revenge!” Autumn spat out in anger.

‘That’s right! It doesn’t matter why. The Hill family will not be bullied!”

Chapter 490

At that moment, many of them agreed. On a normal day, no one would dare cause a scene with them, as they were usually the bullies. Even if they were in the wrong, it didn’t matter to them. Whoever was the better fighter would be the superior party.

“What do you plan on doing?” Spring narrowed his eyes, seemingly upset.

“I want to deploy the shadow guards and turn that kid into minced meat!” Autumn was seething in anger.

“Nonsense!” Spring shot up as he slammed the table. “The shadow guards are the foundation of our family. How can you just mobilize them like that?

“I don’t care! I’m getting revenge! If you don’t agree, I’m asking Father!” Autumn was stubborn.

“Who’s looking for me?” At that moment, an elderly man with a white beard and white brows slowly walked out. His hands were behind his back, and he looked calm. Even though he didn’t give off a powerful air, his every step and move exuded a subtle sense of authority.

“Sir Paul!”

Paul’s appearance had everyone on their feet as they paid their respects. Even Autumn, who was defiant earlier, turned submissive.

Paul sat confidently at the head of the table, his expression indifferent. “Who said they wanted to deploy the shadow guards?”

Everyone else, including Spring, could only obediently stand and remain quiet.

“It’s me, Dad.” Autumn stepped out determinedly.

“And your reason?” Paul picked up a cup of tea and took a sip, not even sparing him a glance.

“Someone crippled my son and injured at least two hundred of our elites. A threat like that must be dealt with!” Autumn complained with indignation.

Paul responded calmly, “So, what you mean to say is, your son was beaten up into a pulp because he’s useless, and now you want the entire family to pay for your antics?

“What?” Autumn was taken aback. He couldn’t comprehend what Paul said. He never expected his father to respond that way.

“Dad! It’s your grandson who was battered! Don’t you feel bad for him?” Autumn decided to use emotional persuasion.

“He deserved it for being a bad fighter. If he has the ability, get him to fight back himself. He’s a weakling if he needs to hide behind the family’s strength.” Paul was expressionless.

“But-”

“Don’t try your nonsense with me!”

Autumn tried to explain but was stopped by Paul, who had raised a hand. “The Hill family was built on martial prowess. Every generation has gone through battles and conquests. But your generation is pampered and weak. You have completely forgotten about our ancestral teachings and the dignity that comes with being a martial artist. Did you think martial artists were born into lavish feasts and beautiful women?

“A martial artist sweats, bleeds, fights valiantly, faces death and emerges victorious, and crawls out of piles of corpses and pools of blood! Look at you. How many of you have experienced near–death experiences? And how many of you have truly set foot on the battlefield? Today, even a young lad can mess around with all of you, and yet you have the audacity to complain to me? All of you are a bunch of useless trash!”

With his final insult, the entire room fell silent. Not only Autumn, but every Hill family member present broke out in cold sweats. They understood that Paul was furious not because they had caused trouble, but because
of their incompetence.

“Today’s incident will serve as a wake–up call for all of you.” Paul stood up and dusted off his clothes.

“Autumn, bring your son to apologize to Dustin. That lad’s future is bright, and he’s not someone we should be enemies with. At the very least, he’s not someone you bunch of losers can afford to offend.”

“Dad”

“If you refuse, I will kick you out of the family.” With that, Paul left without another word, leaving the remaining family members looking at each other in fear and regret.

Chapter 491

The next morning, in a ward at Pinevale Hospital, Edmund’s serious condition finally turned for the better. Hel laid on the hospital bed, sleeping peacefully, with Abigail keeping watch beside him. Even though the father- daughter duo didn’t get along well on a typical day. Abigail cared for him the most when a serious matter arose. She had been busy the entire night and hadn’t gotten any sleep.

“Kid, eat something.” At that moment, Dustin walked in with breakfast. “Your father’s condition has stabilized, and he’ll get better soon. You don’t need to worry.”

“Thank you, Dustin.” Abigail forced out a smile. She took a few bites but didn’t have the appetite to continue and pushed the food aside.

“Abigail, we’re here.” Suddenly, a group of youngsters walked through the door. They were Abigail’s classmates, and they all brought something with them. Some of them had flowers, some had fruits, and others brought drinks. Among the gifts, the one most eye–catching was Mike’s panax root.

“Abigail, I heard your dad has fallen sick, so I bought this wild panax root. It can greatly replenish your dad’s health.” Mike smiled, passing the delicately wrapped panax root to Abigail with both hands.

“Thank you, but this is too valuable. You should take it back.” Abigail declined his kind gesture. She had heard that the value of wild panax root was akin to gold.

“How can I take back a present? Not to mention, it doesn’t cost much.” Mike pouted.

“Abigail, this is a sincere gesture from Mike. Just accept it. Since your dad is injured and hospitalized, he could make good use of it.” Nina urged her gently

“Alright, thank you.” Since they’d put it that way. Abigail had no other reason to refuse.

“That’s more like it.” Mike smiled and asked, “Right, Abigail, I heard your father was hospitalized after getting beaten up. Who dared do such a thing?”

“Uh…” Abigail didn’t know what to say. She didn’t wish for her father’s situation to be spread outside.

“There’s no need to be afraid. Just tell me what happened. It doesn’t matter who did it. I’ll make sure he pays!” Mike patted his chest with confidence.

Nina chimed in. “That’s right! With Mike here, no one would bully you. He’ll deal with any problems you have easily.”

“Abigail, there’s no need to feel bad. We’re classmates, and we’ll solve every problem together.”

The group of youngsters spoke fervently in righteous indignation.

Abigail glanced at Dustin, not sure if she should tell them.

“Abigail, why are you looking at him? He’s not the one who did it, is he?” Nina said suspiciously.

“No, no, no. Of course not.” Abigail shook her head immediately.

“Then what happened?” Nina asked again.
ally spoke. “I’ve dealt with the matter. All of you don’t need to worry about it.” Dustin finally

“Who do you think you are? Do you think we’re not going to worry about it just because you said so?” Mike looked irritated. “Don’t think you can look down on people just because you have some money. Let me tell you, connections are far more important than wealth!”

“That’s right! The most important thing in Millsburg is connections. What can you do with money?” Nina pursed her lips in disdain.

“I said that for your own good. You guys can’t afford to offend the perpetrator.”

“What a joke!” Mike scoffed loudly. “Do you know who I am? Do you know who my father is? And you’re saying I can’t afford to offend that person? What a bold statement.”

“Hey! I advise you not to underestimate others. You’ll never be able to compare with Mike’s background,” Nina said condescendingly.

Mike continued to be insistent and cocked his head up, acting all high and mighty. “Why are you silent? I’m curious to know who exactly it is that I can’t afford to offend,

Chapter 492

“It was Torben from the Hill family.” Dustin spat out the words casually.

“Torben Hill?” Instantly, Mike felt like he was struck by lightning at the revelation and turned pale. The rest of them also had a look of horror on their faces, as if they had seen a ghost.

Torben Hill was the infamous vile demon of Millsburg, a scion of an affluent family standing at the pinnacle of power! He was known to be arrogant and tyrannical, committing all sorts of atrocities. However, with his powerful background, nobody dared provoke him. To them, an influential figure like Torben had the power to do whatever he wanted with them. Even if they were to encounter him on the street, they wouldn’t dare look up, not to mention provoke him.

“Y–you must be joking. Torben is the perpetrator?” After he fully digested the fact, his voice started trembling.

Dustin had a stoic expression. “What? It seems like you’re terrified.”

“T–terrified? No way!” Mike calmed himself down and rebuked stubbornly, “I grew up not knowing what terrified means. It’s just Torben Hill. I better not see him on the streets; otherwise, I’ll definitely give him two slaps to the face!”

With so many ladies watching, he couldn’t afford to show any weaknesses. It didn’t cost anything to put on an act anyway. He would think about the consequences afterward.

“Really? I guess you’re truly amazing.” Dustin only found it hilarious. He could clearly see him breaking out in a cold sweat, yet he was still being obstinate.

“Hmph! It’s not just all talk. Even an imprudent brat like Torben would need to address me formally!” Mike pointed his thumb at himself.

“You talk big for your age.” Suddenly, they heard a booming voice resonating from the door. Following closely behind, a group of Hill family members strode in. Leading the group was none other than Spring Hill, with Autumn and Patrick behind him. Even the injured Torben was carried in.

“Who was that? Who’s talking?” Mike was irritated and turned around, his expression clearly displaying his annoyance. He was in the midst of showing off! Who was so rude to interrupt him?

“What?” Before he turned around, he still had an arrogant look on his face. Once he noticed that the people who walked in were the backbones of the Hill family, he froze on the spot, clearly astonished.

He didn’t recognize all of them, but there were a few familiar faces he had the privilege of meeting during upscale social gatherings. However, their once majestic presence appeared quite ordinary as they stood with more prominent members of the Hill family.

“Were you the one who spoke earlier?” Patrick gave him a once over and smiled.

“Let me introduce myself. I’m Patrick Hill. I heard you mention you would slap Torben if you met him, and I couldn’t agree more. He’s right here. Please go ahead and don’t hold back.” Patrick gestured with one hand as if inviting him to go ahead.

“What?” Mike was shocked as he remained rooted in place, completely at a loss. He was just putting on an act. Who would’ve thought he would encounter the actual person himself!

Chapter 493

In the face of the Hill family members‘ menacing gazes, Mike’s legs gave way as he finally succumbed to the pressure and fell to his knees with a thud.

“I–It’s It’s a misunderstanding!” Mike couldn’t stop shaking and broke out in a cold sweat. “I was just joking. Please don’t take it to heart, everyone.”

Patrick still had a smile plastered on his face. “You mean you’re not going to slap him?”

“No, I wouldn’t dare!” Mike waved his hands. “I have a cheap mouth and just like to brag. Please forgive me for my insolence, and don’t find fault with me.” Mike even slapped himself a few times to prove his sincerity.

At that moment, Nina, who was still quite young, was also shocked into silence and was trembling slightly. The Hill family was such a powerful family that she wasn’t even worthy of looking at them. Every one of them had the right to take her life away.

“Since you don’t have the guts to touch him, go stand at one side.” Patrick’s smile gradually disappeared.

“Yes, yes. Right away. Mike nodded like an obedient chick, shrinking back into a corner with the rest of his classmates. As his heart beat rapidly, he wondered why the prominent members of the Hill family had arrived at such a place. He also wondered who beat Torben up to such a state.

“Dustin. I hope you have been well.” Patrick turned toward Dustin and greeted him.

“Patrick, why have you come today?” Dustin responded nonchalantly.

“The thing is-”

“Let me talk to him!” Patrick was just about to explain when Autumn interrupted rudely. “Kid, you should be punished for hurting my son. But since the Hill family has always been kind and generous, today, I have decided to give you a chance to live!”

While Patrick frowned at his words, Spring was quietly looking down, seemingly an outsider to the current situation. Mike and the rest of the classmates, on the other hand, were greatly shocked by his revelation. They glanced at Dustin as if he was a monster. He had nerves of steel to be the one to cripple Torben.

“A chance?” With a smile, Dustin shook his head. “I’m curious, what kind of “chance‘ are you giving me?”

“First, heal my son. Second, deliver us another bottle of medicinal wine. As long as you fulfill these two requirements. I won’t hold a grudge against your previous misdeeds,” Autumn said with a serious expression.

*Autumn Hill, I guess you haven’t gotten the situation straight.” Dustin walked up to him slowly, his gaze growing increasingly dark. “The ball is in my court now. Whatever I say goes. It’s not up to you to decide.”

“What?” Autumn frowned. “Are you going to fight us to the end, kid?”

“I can if you want me to. Your son and father don’t have many days left to live anyway.”

Autumn’s expression darkened. “Are you threatening me?”

“So what if I am?” Dustin didn’t back down. “If you want to fight, I’m always ready. But if you’re here to ask for forgiveness, you should have the attitude of someone asking for forgiveness! My demand remains the same.

When your son kneels in front of Mr. Robinson and apologizes, I’ll let him live. Otherwise, scram!”

His words ignited a frenzy among the crowd. It was a great disgrace to have a direct descendant of the Hill family kneel before a commoner.

“God damn! Is this punk insane? How dare he ask Torben to get on his knees?”

“What an idiot. He must be seeking death to act that wild in front of them!”

Dustin’s bold words had made Mike and the other classmates whisper among themselves. In their eyes, what he did was just akin to suicide.

“You’re stepping out of line, kid!” Autumn erupted in rage.

Chapter 494

“Are you done? If that’s all you’re here to say, then get lost. Don’t be an eyesore.” Dustin waved his hand in annoyance, clearly showing no respect for them at all.

“You-” Autumn was about to launch into a new tirade when Spring raised his hand and interjected. “Enough! Torben started this and is the one at fault. It’s only fair for him to apologize.”

“Spring!” Autumn’s brow furrowed deeply.

“What? Have you forgotten what Dad said?” Spring gave him the side eye, slightly upset.

“I …” Autumn gritted his teeth but remained silent in the end.

Spring gave a nod. “Torben, apologize to the person you beat up and bring this matter to an end.”

“I–I’m sorry.” Torben gritted out the words with difficulty as he laid on the stretcher. Since the odds were against him, he did as ordered. This was more important before he could rest and recover properly.

“Are you satisfied now, kid?” Autumn’s expression was dark.

“No.” Dustin shook his head. “There’s no sincerity. I want him to kneel.”

“Don’t push your fucking luck!” Autumn spat out. They’d humiliated themselves already by apologizing in public. Getting them to kneel was going too far.

“Kneel!” Spring suddenly raised his voice.
Autumn’s eyes widened in shock. “Spring?”

“Someone help Torben get on his knees.” Autumn gestured, wanting to get things over with quickly.

Soon, a few people carried Torben off the stretcher and dropped him on the ground, getting him on his knees. It aggravated his wounds, and his face contorted in agony as he howled in pain. Autumn could only glare fiercely at Dustin, unable to utter a word even though he was enraged.

Spring asked calmly, “Dustin, would that do it?”

“One more thing.” Dustin shook his head.

“What would that be?” Spring responded.

Instead of responding to him, Dustin turned to Abigail and said, “Kid, this is the guy that beat your dad up into that state. He’s right in front of you now. It’s time to get your revenge.”

Abigail was silent, but she gave Torben a death glare, her eyes burning with rage.

Dustin comforted her. “Don’t hold back. Take the anger you are feeling now out on him.”

Abigail’s hand slowly formed into a fist. Traces of internal energy were welling up within her. After a while, she relaxed her fingers.

“Hmph, at least you know your place.” Autumn smiled proudly at the sight. “Not anyone dares touch the Hill family. If you dare touch a hair on my boy, then-

Before he finished his sentence, a clear, loud slap resonated through the room. Abigail had landed a heavy slap on Torben’s face. She had put all her strength into that slap, causing Toben to lose his balance and fall head–first to the ground.

Autumn was stunned.

Patrick was stunned.

Mike was stunned.

Nina was also stunned.

Everyone at the scene was frozen to their spots, their faces etched with disbelief. Nobody expected Abigail to actually raise a hand against Torben. Not only that, she had given him a solid slap in public.

That brat must not want to l

Chapter 495

“H–how dare you hit my son?!” Autumn glared at Abigail. He couldn’t believe that a commoner had the guts to slap his son in public.

“If he can hit my dad, why can’t I do the same to him?” Abigail kicked Torben hard, sending him flying a good ten feet away. The sight made Autumn’s blood boil. He seethed. “Y–you You brat!”

Hearing Autumn’s shouts, a couple of martial arts experts from the Hill Family came forward.

“Why? Is that all it takes to piss you off?” Dustin snickered. “Torben’s actions were way worse than what she did to him. She’s only making him pay a fraction of it.”

“Leave, all of you!” Spring spun around and cast a frightening glare that shut everyone up.

“Kid, keep going. You have nothing to worry about.” Dustin nudged her calmly.

“Sure!” Abigail readily agreed to it. She immediately started kicking and punching the crippled Torben. She had been stewing for a while after seeing her father brutally tortured and naturally would not miss the opportunity for revenge. She wasn’t worried about offending anyone at all.

“Is Abigail crazy? She’s hitting Torben Hill!”

“She’s done for! If the Hills were to take revenge, her entire family would be done for!”

“How rash of her to do that!”

Mike and the rest of his group were staring at her outburst in fear and shock. The mighty Hill Family was not an entity that an average citizen could take on. Abigail was skating on thin ice.

Autumn’s face was stiff with a grim expression. He wouldn’t have quietly endured the humiliation as he watched his son beaten to a pulp if it weren’t for the orders from his father.

The atmosphere in the room was tense, to say the least, as people watched Abigail beat up Torben with all her might. The heavy beating further added to the grave injuries that he sustained. Finally, she came to a stop when he was at death’s door.

“Are you done?” Dustin asked.

Panting heavily, she replied, “Yeah.”

To carry out the revenge, she used up all the internal energy she had previously conserved.

“Great.” He nodded, and his gaze swept past the faces of the Hill Family members. “We’re even now. However, if you want revenge, you can always come at me.”

“Dustin, that’s a ridiculous idea! The Hills are known for our good moral character. Since Torben was in the wrong, he should pay for his mistakes. We only ask that you spare his life.” Spring flashed a regretful smile at Dustin.

Instead of replying, Dustin punched Torben in the stomach, and the latter let out a scream as a blood–stained silver needle pierced out of his back and hit the wall hard.

“Thank you, Dustin!” Spring bowed to Dustin. Dustin replied, “Don’t mention it. The patient needs rest. Gentlemen, you should leave.”

“Sure. We shall not disturb him further.” After exchanging some small talk, Spring and his people left soon. During the entire visit, he did not show any complaints or dissatisfaction.

Mike and his group were left staring agape at the Hill Family members who filed out of the room. At first, they thought that the Hills had dropped by to demand justice, and they believed that Dustin was dead meat when he insulted the family. It turned out that the entourage showed up to beg for leniency instead of going for the kill. None of them uttered a word, even when Torben was beaten up.

Chapter 496

After all, that was Torben Hill, the famed devil incarnate of Millsburg and the son of an elite family. It was absurd to see him beaten up into a pulp like that. They wouldn’t have believed that the Hill Family had a weak spot if they had not witnessed the scene with their own eyes. The fact that Dustin was the man behind the Hill Family’s forced submission.

They wondered about his origins and viewed him in a new light. Some were shocked; some were curious; a few were fearful; and more than everything, they admired him, for not many in Millsburg had the power to force the Hills into submission.

That went to show how remarkable Dustin was. Mike and Nina, who had been looking down on Dustin, were now quiet. At the end of the day, they found out they were the naive ones.

At that moment, Dustin’s phone started to ring. He picked up the call from Dahlia.

“Where are you? Didn’t you promise to come with me on my first day at Nicholson Corp. Are you standing me up?”

“No, of course not. I was held back by something. Be there soon,” Dustin explained.

“Where are you? I’ll go pick you up.”

“I’m at Pinevale Hospital”

After hanging up, he immediately turned around and said to Abigail “Take good care of Mr. Robinson. If

anything happens, just give me a call. I have to leave now.”

“Yes, Sir, please be careful!” She reminded him. He smiled at her before leaving. “Don’t you worry. The Hills won’t do anything to me.”

20 minutes later, a blue Maserati pulled up to the hospital entrance. The car window rolled down to reveal an

attractive woman. “Why are you standing there? Hop on now.” She jutted her chin out.

“Right away.” He sat in the driver’s seat and beamed. “Chairman Nicholson, I see you’ve been doing pretty well, haven’t you? You’ve got a new car!”

“Cut that out!” She rolled her eyes at him. “I need to talk to you about work. I might run into problems at the board meeting later. You should prepare yourself for that.”

“Problems? You’re the chairman of the group. Who would have the guts to give you problems?” He sounded curious.

“I’m an outsider who joined and became a chairman, and I don’t have a group of people loyal to me there. It’s hard to take control.” She shook her head. “Plus, many are eyeing my position. The greatest threat right now is from this guy called Hank Hoffman.”

“Hank Hoffman. Who is he?” Dustin pressed on.

‘He’s the vice chairman of Nicholson Corp. and a man loyal to Madam Alma, Regulus‘ first wife, because she has supported his career. He’s more advanced than me in terms of his seniority and his connections. Hank has the respect of the whole company.”

“But his reputation still can’t rival that of your patriarch, am I right? Regulus Nicholson personally appointed you as the chairman. I bet they have to listen to him,” Dustin reassured her.

She nodded and muttered, “I hope so.”

They chatted during the drive and soon arrived at the Nicholson Corp. building. The company, worth tens of billions, was well–known and reputable in Millsburg. The Nicholson Corp. building was located in the bustling and wealthy prime area downtown.

When Dahlia and Dustin entered the office, they made their way to the meeting room. There, they found that the meeting room was packed with senior executives and shareholders.

The middle–aged man sitting at the head of the table had a beer belly and a mole at the corner of his lips. His nose was as red as Rudolph’s, and his eyes were mousey. Overall, his freckled face could only be described as unappealing. The man was Hank Hoffman, the vice chairman of Nicholson Corp.

“Dahlia, you’re late. The board meeting has started. Get yourself a seat.” Hank sat in the chairman’s seat leisurely, not showing any sign of vacating it for her. He indirectly provoked her with that disrespectful move.

Chapter 497

Dahlia couldn’t help but frown when she stared at the unbothered faces of the people around her as they chatted away merrily. She made sure to arrive earlier for the board meeting, so Hank’s accusation of tardiness was absolutely baseless. From the moment she entered the room, the attendees remained seated. No one stood up to greet her–not even saving a seat for her. Clearly, they did not take her seriously.

“Hank, what’s this supposed to mean?” She whispered while keeping her composure. She knew that Hank was laying down the law from day one.

“What do you mean?” Hank lit himself a cigar and crossed his legs on the table, seemingly treating the meeting room as his own office.

“I am sure you have received the news from the family’s patriarch. I’m the new chairman of Nicholson Corp. as of today.” Her voice was laced with warning.

“And?” He gave her a mocking smirk.

“You are in my seat. You’ve crossed a line here.” She rapped her knuckles on the table.

“Your seat? Do you have evidence of that?” He shrugged and acted unreasonably. “Everyone here knows that this has been my seat forever. It was you who entered the room and immediately demanded my seat. What
right do you have?”

“Yeah! What right do you have?”

“Mr. Hoffman is the person in charge of the company! How dare a newcomer wrestle that seat from him? What a joke!”

The meeting attendees started to make a scene. As they were in the same boat as Hank, they would never allow the young lady to be in command.

"Please get your facts straight. I am the largest shareholder in this room and the chairman of the company. Here’s my notice of appointment. If anyone here is dissatisfied, you may check with Regulus Nicholson!” With a hardened expression, she slapped a document on the table. She had come prepared, but the situation seemed more dire than she had expected.

“A notice of appointment? Haha! Who are you fooling with this?” A disdainful Hank added. “Even a general on the battlefield, as the primary decision–maker, might disregard the King’s command! We’re not in Glenstead.

Your tricks don’t work here!”

“Are you rebelling against me now?” She slammed a hand on her table, unable to contain the rage in her.

“No, we won’t rebel, but we are against your appointment.” Hank was straightforward with his dislike for her.

“That’s right! We do not acknowledge It!”

“You have neither connections in the field nor personal relationships with prominent figures. And you are lacking in capability. Why should you be our chairman?”

“Hmph! As long–timers in the company, we despise those who get in through the back door!‘

The animated attendees tried to get a word in, and they were harsh in their criticisms.

“First, this is Regulus Nicholson’s decision, Like it or not, you have to accept it.” She put on an icy look. “By the way, you were asking why I should be the chairman. I will go into detail on that topic. After looking into the company’s financial statements, I found out that the company is crumbling on the inside despite its glamorous facade. Corruption is rife–using company funds for personal matters, lining your pockets through contracts and deals, and even selling company secrets–these are commonplace.”

She finally added, “Regulus Nicholson sent me here to execute a quick shakeup. If you’re unhappy with the decision, you may turn in your resignation letter!”

The most senior executives instantly slammed their hands on the table upon hearing her words. “Who are you trying to threaten? We can always leave!”

“That’s right! I, for one, would love to know how the company operates if we resign collectively!”

“What goes around comes around! There will be a time when you need to beg us for help!”

While complaining, the group of senior executives headed toward the exit. Given their positions in the company, they knew that a collective resignation would lead to a halt in company operations and, even worse, bankruptcy. That was the reason for their confidence.

Chapter 498

“You may resign if you wish, but that doesn’t mean you won’t be held accountable for your dishonest practices in the past.”

Dahlia proceeded coldly. “Mr. Levin, if I recall correctly, you dipped your hands into 20 million worth of company funds, and you have not paid it back yet. For this, you will need to serve out a long sentence in prison.”

Hearing that, a man with a bald spot who stood as the head of the group leaving instantly froze and sweated profusely. He wondered how Dahlia learned about his action when he made sure he carried out the crime seamlessly.

She ignored his question and continued, “Ms. Wagner, as the Director of Finance, you are in the greatest trouble. The company makes profits annually, but after you took charge, the books showed that we were making losses. Not only that, you have been asking the headquarters for money for your personal use. Your greed knows no bounds!”

“Y–you! That’s nonsense!” A woman dressed luxuriously suddenly screamed at Dahlia, resembling a cat who had its tail stepped on.

“You don’t believe me? Have a look for yourself.” Dahlia didn’t bother to explain further and threw a few files containing the results of her investigation onto the table.

“What?” The woman took a good look at the files and instantly appeared ashen–laced as a chill ran up her spine.

That was not the end of it yet. Dahlia scanned the room, and for each person she laid her eyes on, she’d announce the misdeeds of that individual. “Mr. Price, you are saddled with huge debts from gambling, right? If not, you wouldn’t have sealed a deal worth 100 million for a mere 30 million!

“And you, Mr. Gillis, your son, wife, cousins, and other relatives are working in the company. Do you think they can stay if you resign?

“Oh, one thing almost slipped my mind. Mr. Regan, you seem quite close to the ladies from the human resources department. How would your wife react to that?”

Then, she rattled off the tainted records of most of the senior executives. The attendees were dismayed to learn that she had accessed all the information. She had obviously come prepared!

“Ladies and gentlemen, I will not stop you from resigning, but I will send the evidence I collected to Regulus Nicholson. Your fate will be in his hands, be it bankruptcy or jail time. However, you have another choice, which is to stay and work under me. If so, I will not hold you responsible for your dirty deeds in the past. Now, it’s your choice to stay or leave.” With that, Dahlia finished her speech and stood at the side.

The senior executives exchanged sheepish looks, each one trembling in dread. It was at that moment that they realized the fearful character of the new chairman. Any hint of disdain from earlier was replaced by fear.

After moments of hesitation, the group of executives who staged a walkout quietly returned to their seats, their heads hung low, and their arrogance was wiped away.

“Amazing.” Dustin secretly admired Dahlia’s strategy of utilizing both the carrot and the stick to subjugate most of the protesting staff.

“Mr. Hoffman, do you have anything more to add?” She turned her attention back to Hank, knowing that the only way to be in complete control was to bring Hank Hoffman to his knees.

“That’s very impressive indeed.” Laughing, he clapped his hands. “Dahlia Nicholson, I have to admit that you’re quite something. But you need more than a few tricks.”

Chapter 499

“Oh? Mr. Hoffman, what brilliant ideas do you have now?” Dahlia asked. She had collected evidence against most of the senior executives except for him. That did not mean Hank Hoffman was innocent. Instead, he covered his tracks very well to the point that his misdeeds couldn’t be traced back to him.

“On the topic of brilliant ideas, I do have some advice for you.” With a cigar in his mouth, he went on, “To be our chairman, you need to build your reputation and capability. In short, you’ll need to make profits. That way, we will approve of you.”

The executives all nodded upon hearing that. Money makes the world go round. Their ultimate goal was to profit more.

“I have enough confidence in myself to take up the role of the chairman,” she answered nonchalantly. “I can’t promise you much, but now that I’m the chairman, all the senior executives here will see a salary increase of
50% and a 20% increase in their annual bonuses. How does that sound?”

The people started murmuring among themselves after hearing her proposal, A 50% increase in pay and a 20% increase in bonus would be considered generous.

“Dahlia, we’re practical people who do not like empty promises. Anyone can make promises.” Hank shrugged again.

Dahlia asked, “So, what do you want me to do?”

“The company is facing three huge challenges now. If you resolve all three, we will accept you as our new chairman. If not, you shall vacate the position for a more suitable candidate.” Hank started giving her trouble.

She raised a brow at his words. “What are the three? Tell me.”

“Firstly, you need to get the Flame Dragon Gang to pay their 70 million dollars worth of debt within seven days, Hank declared with a smirk.

“The Flame Dragon Gang?” She was pensive. A gang that owed the Nicholson Corp. that amount of money must be difficult to handle.

“Why? Are you scared? You can turn it down if you’re scared,” Hank challenged her. However, Dahlia ignored his taunts and went straight to the point. “Tell me about the second challenge.”

“Secondly, you have to secure the Brooks Corporation’s project, which is worth 500 million dollars.”

“What about the third challenge?”

“Hah! I’ll tell you after you complete the two challenges. It would be useless otherwise.” He chortled.

“Sure. I will not shy away from challenges that involve the company. I hope that you make good on your promise.” Dahlia reminded him.

“I am a man who keeps his word. I will approve of you if you’re capable of completing all the challenges.” He tossed his head back.

“Great. We shall see.” She scanned the room for one last time and left, knowing that she had to show Hank what she was capable of to win him over. Otherwise, the bunch of old senior executives would never listen to her.

‘Ladies and gentlemen, do you think that little girl can do it?” The people in the meeting room started gossiping.

“No way! We failed to get the 70 million back from the Flame Dragon Gang. How could she do it in seven days?

“Right? Everyone knows that the Flame Dragon Gang is brutal. They’ll tear her limb to limb if she knocks on their door for the money!”

“The first challenge is daunting enough for her. On top of that, she has to deal with that stubborn Brooks Corporation.”

“Mr. Hoffman, your idea of killing with a borrowed knife is pure genius!”

Hank merely smiled with the cigar between his lips in the face of the discussion in the room. He believed that a member of a Nicholson Family branch was no match for him.

Meanwhile, just as Dahlia and Dustin took their seats in the chairman’s office, a good–looking woman in uniform wandered into the office, her heels clicking as she walked.

Chapter 500

When they took a better look, they realized that it was Julie Amberson.

“Dustin, why are you here?” Julie was surprised when she spotted him.

“Why can’t I be here? I’m the Chief Security Officer.” Dustin grabbed an apple and munched on it.

“Chief Security Officer? Dahlia, are you serious? I’m just a secretary, but you appointed him as chief officer.

Why?” Julie was aghast.

“I don’t need to explain my decisions to you.” Dahlia snapped at her with a stern look.

“By the way. I’m surprised that you can still call yourself a secretary. You were 32 minutes late on your first day at the job. How unprofessional of you!” She gave Julie a chance to grow and improve her skills after being pestered by Florence and her aunt on the matter, but she was disappointed by Julie’s attitude.

“I was stuck in traffic just now. I had no choice! Anyway, I was only late for half an hour. That’s not a big deal, is it?” Julie did not take it seriously.

“Did I not ask you to wait in the meeting room with the materials half an hour before the meeting? Look at you now. You were nowhere to be seen even after the meeting ended. How dare you say that it’s not a problem?” Dahlia slammed her hands on the table in anger.

“What? Is the meeting over?” Julie went blank.

“Thankfully, I memorized the details before the meeting. I would have to keep waiting if I had relied on you.”

Dahlia was irked. Her first day as chairman was crucial, but her secretary was not concerned at all.

“Dahlia, it’s my fault. I will be careful in the future.” Julie’s cheeks reddened in shame.

“I’ll let this slip, but you’d better not repeat your mistake!” She warned Julie, who nodded furiously. “That’s enough for now. Go do research on the Flame Dragon Gang for me.”

“The Flame Dragon Gang?” Julie’s pupils wavered at the mention of the gang. “Dahlia, how did you get involved with them? They’re merciless bastards!”

“Why? Have you heard of them?” Dahlia raised a brow in curiosity.

“Of course! The Flame Dragon Gang is famous for being evil in this region. Whoever gets on their bad side will suffer a horrific death!” Julie explained with a grave expression.

“They sound powerful.” Dahlia frowned.

“Dahlia, what was the debt thing you mentioned just now?” Julie prodded cautiously, and Dahlia summarized everything that happened during the board meeting.

After the brief explanation, Julie’s face fell. “D–Dahlia, are you kidding me? Are you asking the Flame Dragon Gang to pay their debt?!”

“That’s right. It’s only fair to pay your debts,” Dahlia responded with a serious face.

“Oh, Dahlia, it’s always the Flame Dragon Gang that chases after their debtors. No one has done it the other
l way around!” Julie was gripped by fear. “A billionaire once reported the Flame Dragon Gang because he was angered by their lawless behavior. Guess what happened to that guy? His family of eight vanished overnight, and their bodies have not been found until now! Hank Hoffman is clearly sending you to your death by asking you to demand that the gang settle its debts! You can’t fall for it!”

“I have promised to settle this issue. I need to see this to the end,” Dahlia said somberly.

“Dahlia, is money or life more important to you? You’re putting yourself at risk by asking the gang for debt payments!” Julie panicked in the face of Dahlia’s naive determination.

“That’s enough. Stop fighting.” Dustin, who had finished his apple, dusted his hands and stood up. “The Flame Dragon Gang isn’t a big deal at all. I’ll get them to pay the 70 million in debt. I promise that you’ll get back every single cent the company has been owed!”

“You?” Julie froze before sneering. “Who do you think you are? You have some balls to ask the Flame Dragon Gang for money!”

He smiled at her. “To tell you the truth, I’m the leader of the Flame Dragon Gang.”

Chapter 501

Julie was taken aback before she collected herself and stared at Dustin like he was an idiot. “Are you, now? Dustin, can you stop bluffing? Who do you think you are? The audacity to claim that you’re the leader of the gang!”

“Dustin quit it. You need to behave.” Dahlia glared at him. She didn’t look convinced either. After all, Dustin had only arrived in Millsburg a few days ago. It was impossible to claim the leadership position within that time frame.

“Why would I lie to you about this? If you don’t trust me, just go with me to the Flame Dragon Gang. I’ll get your money back for you,” Dustin swore.

“Hmph! Do you take us as fools? We’ll die if we ask the gang for our money back!” Julie told him off.

“Whatever. How about I go to the Flame Dragon Gang headquarters alone without the two of you?” He couldn’t be bothered to argue with the ladies, and he thought they were overreacting to a small issue.

“Wait! I’ll go with you.” Dahlia sprang up when she noticed that Dustin was leaving.

“Dahlia, are you crazy? Are you seriously going to follow this dude and meet with the Flame Dragon Gang?” Julie was frightened and wondered if Dahlia ever listened to her warnings.

“No matter what, we need to give it a try.” Dahlia had a serious look on her face. “In the best–case scenario, we get them to pay their debts. If we can’t, well, we’ll come up with a Plan B.”

“But

“No buts. If you’re scared, you don’t have to go together.” Dahlia held up a hand to stop Julie from talking them out of it.

“Yes, I’m scared, but I can’t let you face danger alone!” Julie let out a long sigh. “I’ll have to reach out to some of my contacts for your safety.”

While speaking, she made a call to someone. “Hey, darling. I need you to do me a small favor…!

Three minutes later, Julie hung up with a calmer demeanor. “Julie, I called up Terrence. He promised to help you out. He can’t guarantee that you’ll get the debts paid, but he can assure your safety.”

“Great. Thanks for going through the trouble for me. We’ll leave now. True to her word, Dahlia left with Dustin soon after.

At noon, Nelson and Hank were enjoying a casual tea break at the office of Flame Dragon Properties. A sexily- clad secretary was tending to the men with great attention.

“Lord Horst, this is a limited–edition Rolex for a successful man like you. Check it out. Do you like it?” Hank
handed Nelson a gift box, which carried a watch gilded with gold.

“Not bad, Mr. Hoffman. That’s thoughtful of you.” Nelson beamed in satisfaction and asked, “What brings you here? I don’t think you’re just here to send me the watch.”

“It’s all thanks to you that our company is doing well. It’s only fair to get you a gift.” Hank suddenly changed. the topic of the conversation. “But I ran into some trouble recently, and I’ll need your help.”

“Oh? What trouble? I’m all ears.” Nelson downed the drink in his cup.

“Well, the headquarters sent a new chairman to keep us in check. The new chairman is pretty slick. To defeat her, I issued her a challenge to get you to pay the 70 million in debt. If she fails, she’ll have to vacate the position.” Hank offered a loaded description of the problem.

“I got it.” Nelson caught up fast. “You want me to teach her a lesson. Is that it?”

“Indeed!” Hank nodded with a grin. “Do whatever you like to her, as long as you keep her alive!”

“What’s the background of that new chairman?” Nelson demanded more information before he agreed to it. Although the Flame Dragon Gang was notorious in the region, they could not afford to offend certain entities- for example, the branch families of the Fabulous Five or the disciples of the Tremendous Three.

“Lord Horst, I have looked into her. She’s nothing.” Hank was confident.

Chapter 502

Dahlia might have the backing of Regulus Nicholson, but the patriarch in Glenstead was too far away from Balerno to pose any threat.

“Oh, it shouldn’t be a problem if she’s nothing special.” Nelson chuckled. “She’d better not show up! If she ever does, I’ll make it tough on her!” It was simply ridiculous for a person who wasn’t rich or powerful to demandmoney from him.

“Lord Horst, I’ll have to trouble you for this. When it’s done, I’ll send you a gift.” Hank bowed to Nelson.

“Haha! Not a problem. We’re brothers. Take it easy.” A wide smile appeared on Nelson’s face. Based on his past experiences, the mention of a “gift” would imply at least a million dollars in monetary reward.

“Lord Horst …” One of Nelson’s men knocked on the door during the conversation. Nelson raised his brows unhappily. “What? Can’t you see that I’m in a business meeting with my client?”

“A few visitors demanded to see you. They would like you to pay your debts,” the man reported the situation.

“Oh, they sure act fast! Speak of the devil!” Nelson rubbed his chin.

Hank cracked a smile. “Lord Horst, I shall be the audience for your show.”

“Open your eyes wide and see how I teach her a lesson!” With a slap on the table, Nelson rose and marched out of the room. At the same time, Hank went to the window and watched the situation unfold from the gap
between the curtains.

Meanwhile, Dahlia was standing at the entrance to the Flame Dragon Properties with Dustin to her left and Julie to her right.

“Dahlia, should we call it off? Look at the men in there! They are scowling and glaring at us. It’s so terrifying!” Julie cowered behind them and swallowed hard in fear. The Flame Dragon Gang was known for its ruthlessness, and she was gravely concerned that the gang might sexually assault her after she entered their nest.

“We’re already at the entrance. We can’t give up at the last minute, right?” Dahlia, however, was calm and composed.

“Dahlia, the gang is violent! What if Julie stammered because, at that moment, she saw Nelson emerging with a bunch of men in tow, ready to fight. She was shaking at the sight of his contracted brows and his deathlike stare.

“Who’s the daredevil who asks me to pay up?” Nelson marched forward fearlessly.

“It’s me.” Dahlia took a step forward and announced in a shrill voice, “Lord Horst, it’s only fair to pay your debts. It’s time for you to pay the 70 million you owe to my company.”
“Haha! You’re quite bold!” Cackling, Nelson gestured at the men. “Someone get me my saber!”

“Yes, Sir!” The men replied and immediately hauled out a brass ring saber for him.

“Crap! We’re done for!” Looking pale, Julie seemed ready to faint. Similarly, Dahlia was nervous about Nelson’s actions.

“Hmph! They overestimated themselves!” A gleeful smile spread on Hank’s face as he stared down from the windows above.

“Nelson Horst, are you seriously going to slash people when you’re in the wrong for not paying your debts?” Dustin suddenly emerged from behind Dahlia.

“Hmm?” When Nelson saw Dustin, he appeared to be struck by lightning and dropped the brass ring saber onto the ground. Realizing the gravity of their situation, he turned around and slapped one of his men on the face as he yelled, “Why the fuck did you even bring that saber to me? Quick! Get me a check!”

Chapter 503

“What?” The man was in a state of confusion after being slapped. He held his cheek, looking lost. The other men exchanged looks of shock. No one had expected that outburst from Nelson, who one second ago was screaming about slashing the visitors. And the next second, Nelson appeared frightened, as though he saw ghosts. What was going on?

“What are you doing there? Hurry up and get me the check!” Nelson gave the frozen man a nervous kick.

“Okay…” The man hurriedly stumbled his way back to the office. He had no clue about the situation, but one thing was for sure–Lord Horst was fearful.

During the wait, Nelson went up to Dustin and squeezed an apologetic smile. “Sir Rhys, when did you arrive? You should have informed me earlier, so I could send someone to pick you up.”

“Sir Rhys?” Dahlia and Julie were stunned by Nelson’s obsequious behavior. They looked at each other in disbelief. Why would the cruel Lord Horst of the Flame Dragon Gang act in such a humble manner after meeting Dustin?

“Nelson Horst, it’s only fair that you pay off the debts of the Flame Dragon Gang. Understood?” Dustin scolded Nelson. The latter nodded fervently as he wiped the sweat off his forehead. “Right, Sir Rhys, you’re right. I was acting without thinking just now. I promise I won’t do that again.”

“That’d better be the case. By the way, you were a hooligan just now. You should apologize to the debtor.”

Dustin warned him.

“Chairman Nicholson, I’m very sorry. I was rude to you just now, and I can only hope that you show me grace and forgive me this time.” Nelson plastered a smile on his face as he continuously bowed and apologized. However, his behavior came unexpectedly for Dahlia. She had mentally prepared herself to fight a gangster, but never had she expected the fierce–looking Lord Horst to turn into a tame animal this soon.

She wasn’t the only one who received a great shock. To be honest, Julie was at a loss for words as well. She questioned if Nelson Horst was still the same man as the notorious and formidable Lord Horst she knew.

“Lord Horst, I’m only here to collect the debts. Please forgive me if I offended you in any way.” Dahlia politesponded to him.

“Don’t say that! It’s all my fault for owing you the payments in the first place.” Nelson was rather surprised and moved by her manners. Anyone could tell that Dustin and Dahlia shared an unusual relationship. Nelson revered and feared his new leader at the same time.

“Lord Horst, the money’s here.” The man returned in a hurry, carrying a check in his hand. Nelson wiped the sweat off his forehead and carefully handed Dahlia the check.

He said with much respect, “Chairman Nicholson, this is the amount I owed you. Please take a look.”

“80 million?” When she checked the figures, she was slightly surprised at the extra money. “Lord Horst, did you accidentally pay me more?”

“No, no, I didn’t. I’ve owed you the money for a while now. Just see it as interest payments.” Nelson smiled at her.

Dahlia was speechless; this was just perplexing and troubling. She was grateful and lucky enough to have
recovered the 70 million in debt, but now, she received 10 million more.

“Dahlia, since it’s for the interest payment, you should accept it,” Dustin chimed in.

“That’s right. Chairman Nicholson, please accept the check, so I can sleep well tonight.” Nelson had at pleading look on his face.

“Well, okay then. Thank you, Lord Horst, for your generosity and help.” No longer insisting, Dahlia pocketed the check. She could tell that Dustin was the sole reason behind Nelson’s humble attitude, and she couldn’t help but wonder if Dustin was telling the truth earlier today.

“Nelson Horst, keep in mind what you said today.” After warning Nelson once again, Dustin left with Dahlia and Julie.

Chapter 504

“Have a good day, Sir Rhys!” Nelson bowed deeply to the trio as they left.

“Have a good day. Sir Rhys!” The members of the Flame Dragon Gang mimicked Nelson and chanted loudly.

Hank had run down to the first floor from his viewing point when he figured that something was off. He confronted Nelson. “Lord Horst, what’s wrong? Why did you pay her back?”

Nelson had promised to teach Dahlia a lesson, but upon the meeting. Nelson obediently paid the debts without a word of protest. Since when were the Flame Dragon Gang such losers?

“Oh, ‘why‘ you fucking ask?” Nelson turned around and glowered as he hissed, “Did you know who’s the guy beside that lady just now?”

“Wasn’t he just a bodyguard? What’s so special about that?” Hank frowned, confused by Nelson’s reaction.

“Just a bodyguard?!” After the initial shock, Nelson smacked Hank hard on the back of his head and rebuked, ” You blind fuckwit! That’s our new gang leader!”

“What? Your new gang leader?” Hank was stunned.

“Son of a bitch! I almost died because of you. Don’t you ever show up in front of me. Now, get lost!” Incandescent with rage, Nelson flung the Rolex watch in Hank’s face. Hank was simmering with anger but dared not talk back. So, he left with his tail between his legs. Never had he expected Dahlia to be acquainted with a powerful figure like Dustin.

“Dustin, are you really the new leader of the Flame Dragon Gang?” Unable to suppress her curiosity, Dahlia blurted out the question. She was still in disbelief, but she figured out that something was not quite right judging from Nelson’s behavior.

“You saw it with your own eyes just now. How could that be fake?” Dustin shrugged his shoulders.

“I mean, how did you become the leader?” She gave him a funny look.

“I was acknowledged for my outstanding moral integrity. Did you seriously think I fought my way to the position?” He asked her with a straight face.

“Is that true?” She shot him a doubtful glance. He gave her a half–smile. “What do you think?”

“Whatever. I don’t care how you ended up as the leader, but I only have one thing to ask of you–do not stir trouble!” She stared at him with a serious face.

“Don’t worry. I won’t hurt others as long as they don’t hurt me. From now on, the Flame Dragon Gang will not commit any sort of crime,” he vowed.

“That’s good to hear that.” She let out a relieved sigh. Before this, she was genuinely worried that Dustin had been led astray and committed crimes like murder or robbery.

“Dustin Rhys, I couldn’t tell that you were related to the Flame Dragon Gang!” Julie suddenly spoke up. “But you shouldn’t get ahead of yourself. The gang isn’t made up of good guys, and they will get themselves into trouble sooner or later. I advise you to get back on the right path before you get arrested and jailed for some crime.”

“You don’t have to worry about that. Just take care of yourself,” he replied blandly.

“Hmph! You little ingrate!” Julie pouted. Even though she held Dustin in higher regard, he was still far behind Terrence.

“Alright now. Stop the bickering. We have settled the first challenge, but that still leaves us with the second challenge–the business deal with Brooks Corporation.” Dahlia steered the conversation.

“Dahlia, I can’t promise to be of help in most cases, but I can totally help you out on this one!” Julie patted her chest confidently.

“What’s your plan?” Dahlia was curious to know.

“Have you forgotten that my Terrence is a manager at the Brooks Corporation? If he’s willing to speak up for us, there’s no deal we can’t seal!” Julie sounded proud.

“Is that so?” Dahlia’s eyes lit up with joy.

“Of course!” Julie put on a smug smile. “Given Terrence’s connections, he’ll only need to put in a good word, and it’s a done deal!”

Hearing that, Dustin smiled wryly and gave them a shake of the head. “Oh, you shouldn’t get ahead of yourself, Julie. Terrence can’t even save his own ass in that company. How is he going to help Dahlia?”

Chapter 505

“What? What do you mean he can’t save his own ass?! What nonsense is that?” Julie glared at him crossly. She was annoyed with the way Dustin had poured cold water on her suggestion.

“If I’m not wrong. Terrence Stone will be fired by the Brooks Corporation today,” Dustin proclaimed breezily.

“Bullshit!” Julie was irked by his prediction. “Our Terrence is good at his job. Why would he get fired?”

“Whether you believe it or not, it’s all up to you. Anyway. Terrence Stone can’t help us on the second challenge. “Dustin shrugged.

“If he can’t help, are you saying that you can do it? What a joke! Julie stared at him icily, thinking that he was only a reckless man who shouldn’t be bragging around.

“Sorry to tell you, but I can do what Terrence Stone can’t.” Dustin grinned at her.

“Oh, you’re getting cocky now, aren’t you?” Julie was burning with rage.

“Dustin Rhys, I wanted to respect you, but if you’re such an arrogant twat, I’ll prove you wrong!” Then, she immediately made a call to Terrence and told him the situation, albeit embellished with dramatic elements.

“What? Is he saying that I’d get fired? That’s hilarious! I’m in a position of authority in the company. No one can touch me here!” Terrence scoffed with arrogance.

“Terrence, this brat is looking down on you. Why don’t you show him the power of your professional connections today?” Julie fanned the fire.

“No problem! It’s just a business contract, right? I’ll make a call to Mr. Suzman, the manager of the Sales Department, and I’ll get him to settle it for you. Just come to the office and sign the contract!” Terrence was bursting with confidence.

"Terrence, thank you for your help!” Delighted, Julie hung up and tossed her hair. “Weren’t you acting all smug just now? Do you want to go with me to the Brooks Corporation office?”

“I don’t see why not.” Dustin was nonchalant.

“Great! I will show you the difference between you and Terrence today.” Julie sneered at him. Brook Corporation, with hundreds of billions worth of assets, was the most prominent company in Millsburg. Even the notorious Flame Dragon Gang was nothing compared to Brooks Corporation. Terrence was not only the manager at the company–he had strong backing from some higher–ups there. Openly challenging Terrence was a futile and humiliating attempt.

30 minutes later, the elevator doors at the entrance of the Brooks Corporation Sales Department slid open with a chime, and the trio emerged from the elevator.

“Dahlia, this is the place. Terrence has given them a heads–up. I’m sure everything will go fine.” Feeling confident, Julie went to the front desk and rapped her knuckles on the tabletop in a conceited manner. “Hey

Get Mr. Suzman for us! Just tell him that his guests have arrived.”

“Excuse me. Do you have an appointment?” The front desk staff inquired politely.

“Only regular visitors need appointments. We don’t.” Julie argued.

“I’m sorry. Our manager has informed us not to let any visitors in unless they have made an appointment.” The secretary shook her head.

“You need to be more sensible! Do you know who I am? Or who my darling is? How dare you speak to me like that?” Julie glared at the secretary.

At that moment, a slightly overweight middle–aged man walked out of the office. Dressed in a suit, he appeared distant and authoritative. “What’s with the commotion?”

“Mr. Suzman, you have a few visitors who insisted on meeting you despite not having an appointment,” the secretary hurriedly explained.

“Haven’t I told you before? I’m not seeing anyone without an appointment! Get them out of here!” The man waved his hand impatiently. He would have no time left if he were to entertain every single visitor who didn’t have an appointment.

“Sir, madam, please leave, or I’ll have to call security.” The secretary urged them to leave.

Chapter 506

“Wait!” Julie ran up to the middle–aged man just as he was about to leave. “Mr. Suzman, you might not know me, but you must know Terrence Stone.”

"Terrence Stone?” The man lifted an eyebrow. “What do you three have to do with him?”

"Terrence is my boyfriend!” Julie beamed proudly. “Mr. Suzman, I believe that he has already given you a heads -up. Now, can we go to your office?”

“No, you can’t.” The man put on a frosty look. “I’ll repeat: you have to make an appointment to meet with me.”

“What?” Julie was slightly taken aback by his attitude. “Mr. Suzman, did you not hear me? I’m Terrence’s girlfriend, and I’m here to talk business.”

“So what?” The man snickered. “Even if it were Terrence who came to see me, he’d have to make an appointment too!”

“You-” Julie choked on anger and refused to believe that Mr. Suzman would shut her out. He wouldn’t even budge at the mention of Terrence.

“Julie, it looks like name–dropping won’t work around here.” Dustin flashed her a half–smile. Her eyes twitched, and her expression crumbled. She showed up confidently, only to be let down.

Still she glanced at the man. “Mr. Suzman, you’re colleagues with Terrence. Do you want to get on bad terms with him?”

“So what? Get lost now, or else!” The man bellowed at them. Julie’s cheeks burned in shame as she huffed and puffed. “You’re a bully!”

“Cole Suzman! Acting like you’re something, aren’t you?” Terrence snorted and marched toward the group.

Julie was overjoyed to see her boyfriend and instantly went up to him and started complaining. “Terrence, you came at the right time! I was bullied by that guy just now!”

“Yes, I saw everything. Let me handle this from here.” He nodded and cast a sharp look at the middle–aged man. “Cole Suzman, you’re getting bolder these days. I haven’t seen you in a few days, and now, you don’t even show me respect.”

“And who are you? Why do you deserve my respect?” Cole Suzman wore an indifferent expression,

“Hah, you’re acting like you don’t have a clue.” Terrence sneered at him. “Suzman, apologize to my girlfriend now, or I’ll make you regret it! Don’t blame me for not giving you a chance!"

“Hmph! Did you hear him? Apologize to me now! Julie grinned gleefully. Although both men were managers. Terrence had stronger support from upper management. Getting on top of Cole Suzman was a piece of cake for him.

“Terrence Stone, are you dumb or what? Do you think you deserve an apology from me? Who do you think you are, the human resources manager?” Cole merely smirked at the ridiculous demand.

“What?!” Frowning, Terrence questioned, “What was that?”

“Ah, it looks like you’re still in the dark. The company issued a notice this morning to fire you and put you under investigation immediately. You are no longer a manager now.” Cole informed him.

“What did you say? Fired and put under investigation? How could that be?!” Terrence’s expression stiffened.

“Don’t trust me? Just check your phone. They should have sent the notice of termination to you by now.” Cole snickered.

Terrence quickly checked his phone, and he seemed to be struck by lightning. Sweating profusely, he realized that he had indeed been fired.

Chapter 507

“H–how could that be? I–impossible!” Terrence’s eyes were bulging with disbelief. Although he did not put much effort into the job, at least he didn’t make any mistakes. On top of that, he was carefree during his time with the company because he had the backing of the higher–ups. Given his social connections, it wouldn’t make sense for him to get fired. He couldn’t wrap his head around the situation.

“Terrence, you’re fired?” Julie was bug–eyed when she noticed the change in Terrence’s expression. He had promised her the business contract, but how did he end up losing his job instead?

“It looks like there’s trouble.” Dahlia furrowed her brows and appeared pensive. She had pinned her hopes on Terrence, but he wouldn’t be of any help anymore.

“Cole Suzman, be honest–were you playing dirty behind my back?” Terrence fixed his gaze on Cole.

“Why would I do so when there’s nothing between us? Plus, even if I wanted, I wouldn’t have the power to do that. You should look at yourself for the reason,” Cole said impassionately. He had long been frustrated by employees who were coasting at work, and he was more than pleased to see Terrence fired.

“Bullshit! No one else could have done that except for you! You must have ratted on me!” Terrence glowered at him. He had embezzled money when he was on the job, and Cole must have found the evidence.

“Well, if you insist on thinking so, I can’t do anything about it.” Cole could not be bothered to explain himself. After all, he couldn’t care less since Terrence was no longer an employee.

“You’re wicked, Cole Suzman!” Terrence’s features contorted into a threatening scowl. “If you think you’ve won, you’re wrong! I’ll let you know–I have backing within the company. Even if I’m fired today, I will get rehired tomorrow!”

“Oh, really? And who’s that person backing you?” Cole questioned him.

“You might want to sit down for this. My uncle is the CEO of the company!” Terrence announced proudly.

“That explains why a guy like you would work your way into a managerial role. It’s all thanks to your connection!” Cole’s expression fell He heard about Terrence’s jaw–dropping social connections, but he never thought that Terrence was a relative of the CEO. He worried that he might be in trouble.

“Are you afraid now?” Terrence sneered.

“Suzman, if you were the one who ratted me out, you made the dumbest mistake in your life. Apologize to me now, or you’ll be the one who’s kicked out tomorrow!” Given his uncle’s authority in the company, getting rid of a manager was an easy task.

“Terrence Stone, don’t be smug. Do you think you can do as you wish just because you have connections?” Cole frowned disapprovingly.

“That’s right! I can do anything I wish with the backing of my uncle. Why? Are you unhappy about it? What are you going to do?” Terrence threw his head back and laughed, knowing that he’d be fine in any crisis as long as his uncle was in the company.

“Terrence, I didn’t know your uncle was the CEO! That’s amazing!” Julle gave him a look of adoration. A department manager was nothing compared to the CEO.

“Hmph, I’m doing well in the company, it’s all thanks to my connections!” Terrence held his head high.

“See that. Dahlia? That’s how amazing Terrence’s connections are! He can easily take care of a business contract for us!” Looking conceited, Julie turned her attention to Dustin. “Dustin, do you have anything else to say? Are you convinced now?”

Dustin just smiled back at her. At first, Terrence was the only one who got into trouble. After this commotion, Terrence unknowingly dragged his uncle down. He bet Terrence’s uncle would cry at the thought of having Terrence as his nephew.

“Suzman, what are you standing there for? I said to apologize to me now! I can take everything from you by making just one call!” Terrence grew aggressive.

“You’d better not go too far!” Cole shot him a stern look.

“So what if I do? I can afford to do that anyway!” Terrence snickered.

Cole stammered at his audacity. “Y–you-”

Terrence wasn’t wrong–he was able to do what he liked with the CEO’s backing.

“You ran into a wall didn’t you? It’s all your fault for being cocky, and it’s too late to regret your actions now!” Julie smirked gleefully.

Chapter 508

For Terrence, it was an exciting moment for him to show off his authority in front of everyone.

However, things changed when Cole received a text on his phone. Cole was momentarily caught off guard by the content and checked it a few times before breaking into a grin.

“Why are you smiling?” Terrence had a haughty look on his face.

“Terrence Stone, say goodbye to your good life. I just received a company–wide notice stating that your uncle has been terminated as well. You’re both on a sinking ship together. You’re finished!” Cole declared boldly.

“Bullshit!” Terrence shot him a glare. “My uncle is the CEO. Who would have the guts to fire him?”

“Mr. Brooks did that, of course.” Cole said righteously.

“Nonsense!” Terrence refused to believe it. “My uncle is one of Mr. Brooks‘ right–hand men. Why would he be fired for no good reason? You should stop spewing lies!”

“It’s up to you if you believe it or not.” Cole didn’t want to waste time with Terrence anymore. Although he had no clue about what happened behind the scenes, it was clear that Terrence and his backing within the company were both removed.

“Are you trying to trick me now? Great! I’ll call my uncle now and get him to teach you a lesson.” While speaking. Terrence pulled out his phone, ready to tell on Cole, but he was stopped short when he heard a scream coming from the entrance. “Terrence Stone!”

A man dressed in a suit with a bald spot on his head charged in.

“Uncle?” Terrence’s eyes lit up in delight, and he cackled. “Suzman, you’re dead meat! My uncle’s here. No one can save you now.”

Then, he readily jogged toward the man. “Uncle, you showed up at the right time! That Suzman guy is a two- faced snake. He’s purposely shifting the blame onto me. You’ve got to stand up for me this time!”

“Stand up for you? How about you fuck off!” The man’s nostrils flared, and he slapped Terrence across the cheeks, sending the latter tumbling onto the ground. One might think he had a vendetta against Terrence based on his furious expression.

“Why did you hit me?” Terrence pressed a hand on his cheek helplessly. Julie and the others quietly exchanged looks of confusion.

“Oh, if only I could tear you into pieces!” The man unleashed his wrath on Terrence. “Who the fuck did you insult this time? I am in hot water because of you!”

“What happened?” Terrence was utterly lost.

“How dare you fucking ask me?” The man was a ball of fire as he gave Terrence a second slap. “Mr. Brooks fired me all because of you! I have to clear my desk; worst of all, I’m about to be investigated!”

“What? What happened?” Terrence froze. How could his uncle, the pillar of support for the company, be kicked out all of a sudden?

“Don’t you know what you did?” The man continued impatiently. “Didn’t you call Mr. Brooks yesterday and insult him in various ways?”

“Yesterday?” After a slight pause, Terrence suddenly came to a realization. He recalled that he had chided a man named Big Bucks Brooks over Dustin’s phone. Was that guy the real deal, not a scammer as he had believed?

“Oh, I’m done for thought Terrence, who slumped onto the floor with a ghastly look on his face.

Chapter 509

“How could that happen?” Terrence slumped onto the ground as he grew despondent. He did not expect Roderick Brooks, his boss, to be the subject of his wrath yesterday. Not only was he fired, but he also dragged his uncle down with him as they got kicked out of the company.

“You brat! What are you standing there for? Come with me to apologize to Mr. Brooks now! The man grabbed Terrence by the hair and violently dragged him out. The whole time, a cowering Terrence didn’t utter even a single word of protest.

“What?” Julie’s jaw dropped to the ground at the sight of it. It was hard to fathom how Terrence had fallen from a place of authority and honor to one of shame.

“He totally deserved that! It was his fault for acting like a thug!” Cole scoffed and disappeared into his office.

“Your dear Terrence can’t even save himself,” Dustin remarked with amusement.

“It’s all because of you and your stupid predictions! He wouldn’t have been fired if it weren’t for you!” Julie started to lose it.

“How do you even pin that on me? You’re unbelievable.” Dustin shook his head, thinking that Terrence deserved everything that had happened. One could see it coming because of Terrence’s impudence, which was fueled by his faith in his uncle’s power and backing.

“That’s enough. Can both of you shut up for a moment? Our top priority is to figure out a solution to that challenge!” Dahlia reminded them of the matter at hand.

“Dahlia, I think we have no choice but to get back and brainstorm. Terrence is fired, and Mr. Suzman isn’t going to budge.” Sighing. Julie decided that this was her unlucky day, suffering one loss after another.

“What’s the point of heading back when we’ve already made our way here? Isn’t it just a business deal? Leave it to me,” Dustin remarked.

“You?” Julie scanned him from head to toe with a disdainful look. “Who do you think you are? Do you think you could do whatever Terrence failed to do? Stop kidding me!”

“He failed to help, but that doesn’t mean I’ll fail too.” Dustin smiled at her. “I’m acquainted with Roderick Brooks. This shouldn’t be too difficult.”

“You? How could you be a friend of Roderick Brooks? You’re a fool.” Julie did not believe any words that came from him. Roderick Brooks was the top business magnate in Millsburg. A man of his wealth and power was godlike and out of reach for the average citizen.

“You don’t believe me? I’ll call him up.” Instead of explaining further, Dustin immediately went into action.

“Hello? Mr. Brooks; I have a favor to ask of you. A friend of mine wanted to collaborate with Brooks Corporation. I hope you’ll consider her proposal.”

“Mr. Rhys, don’t mention It! A business deal is just a small matter! I can even hand the company over to you if that makes you happy. Where are you? I’ll send someone to pick you up.” Roderick sounded very friendly.

“It’s alright. I’m at the Sales Department of Brooks Corporation. Just send a word and get Mr. Suzman to assist me.” Dustin replied,

“No problem! On it!”

“Thanks.” After exchanging some formalities, Dustin hung up and turned around. “It’s done. We can sign the business contract soon.”

“That’s some good acting. Do you really think that someone will agree on a 500 million dollar megadeal over a phone call? Stop daydreaming!” Julie smirked.

“Oh well. Let’s head home now. We’ll talk about the business deal tomorrow.” Dahlia gave Julle a soft shake of the head. They were at the center of attention at that moment, and with each second they stayed there, they’d only humiliate themselves more. She did not take Dustin’s words seriously, thinking that he was only putting on the act for his ego.

“What’s the rush? We’ll get it done if we wait for a little while.” Dustin reassured them.

“Are you telling me to wait here?” Julie snickered. “Even if you kneel here for a day, you will not get the attention of Mr. Suzman.”

Chapter 510

Right after that, they heard a click as the door to the manager’s office flung open. Then, Cole ran out in a great hurry and almost stumbled over.

“Who’s Dustin Rhys? Is there a Mr. Rhys here?” He searched high and low with an anxious look.

“That’s me.” Dustin took a few steps forward.

“Mr. Rhys, I’m so sorry for not recognizing you just now. I didn’t properly greet and receive you and your guests. Please forgive me.” Cole jogged up, his previous arrogance wiped off as he bowed deeply at Dustin.

His respectful demeanor came as a surprise for Julie and Dahlia. A while ago, Cole was acting all righteous and refused to show Terrence leniency. Why did he suddenly grovel at Dustin? They were left scratching their heads at the reason behind his abrupt change.

“Mr. Suzman, that wasn’t necessary. Let’s talk business.” Dustin went straight to the point.

“Right, right Cole nodded furiously and plastered a smile on his face. “Ladies and gentlemen, this way. please.”

“Ladies first.” Beaming, Dustin led a confused–looking Dahlia into the manager’s office. Cole immediately served tea and ordered his secretary to print out the contract. He was extremely attentive, as he was told they were VIP guests of Mr. Brooks. Ten minutes later, they had a deal following a smooth discussion.

When Dahlia wandered out of the office with the signed contract in her hand, she felt like she was deep in a daze. Never in her wildest dreams had she expected the deal to proceed this smoothly. Without unnecessary exchanges, the staff from Brooks Corporation merely asked for her signature on that 500 million deal. In fact, it was so ridiculous that she would question the veracity of the process if she had not witnessed it.

“Dustin, how did you pull that off?” Dahlia glanced at the hero of the day with a bewildered expression.

“I told you I am acquainted with Roderick Brooks, and he’d probably do me a favor,” Dustin was cool about it.

“A–and how did you get to know him?” Julle blurted out. It was unbelievable that Dustin would be acquainted with Roderick Brooks.

“I treated his illness, which I mentioned to you yesterday, but you didn’t believe me.” He shrugged.

“You treated him? That’s some dumb luck!” Julie shot him a funny look.

“That’s why you shouldn’t look down on people.” Dustin casually reminded her.

“What’s so great about that?” Julie rolled her eyes in disdain. “You treated Big Bucks Brooks‘ illness thanks to some dumb luck! Sure, he repaid your help by doing you a favor, but it won’t be easy to ask him for help the second time!”

Roderick Brooks had returned the favor to Dustin, and common sense dictated that it wouldn’t be appropriate to keep asking for favors after that. Dustin might have played the hero on that day, but that might not happen again the next time.

“No matter what, we have to thank Dustin for his help today.” A smile lightened Dahlia’s face. ‘Tell me your wish, and I’ll try my best to fulfill it.”

“My wish?” That suggestion caught him off guard. “I haven’t thought of any. I’ll let you know when something pops up.”

“Sure. I owe you one.” She chuckled.

While they were chatting. Dustin’s phone started ringing. When he picked up, he heard Natasha’s voice from the other end. “Dustin! This is bad! Our family’s in trouble!”

Chapter 511

It was afternoon when Dustin arrived at the Harmon estate in a hurry after getting the news. He was greeted by the sight of armed soldiers surrounding the compound. Hundreds of armed men from the elite forces of the Harmon Family guarded the entrance in what appeared to be a standoff, and both sides weren’t about to back. down.

“Harmons, I will make myself clear–hand over the suspect, or we’ll subject everyone to the same punishment! “The commander–in–charge bellowed, his full voice echoing through the compound. Behind him, the soldiers stood stiffly while holding their guns. Once the commander gave his orders, these soldiers would shoot mercilessly.

“What’s all this about?” Dustin frowned at the violent confrontation. He wondered how the Harmons got involved with the military.

“Sir, what calls for the mobilization of these forces?” Dustin went up to him and questioned.

“I was ordered to capture the suspect. Unrelated personnel please leave the grounds right now!” The commander barked in his face.

“Mr. Rhys, you’re here! Please, come on in!” Jack, the butler, immediately spotted Dustin and asked that the elite forces make way for Dustin to enter. The crowd parted before swiftly closing up the path again after Dustin made his way into the building.

“Listen up, people in there! I’ll give you half an hour. If you refuse to hand the suspect over, do not blame us for forcing our way in there!” The commander gave his final warning, but the elite forces did not budge at all, even if they had to risk death.

“Mr. Rhys, Ms. Harmon is in the meeting room. Please come with me.” Jack ignored the commander’s threats and led the way. A perplexed Dustin followed closely behind him.

The meeting room of the Harmon estate was filled to the brim. The core members of the family convened at the venue. They were whispering to each other.

Meanwhile, Trent Harmon sighed with a troubled expression while Jacob Harmon paced the room apprehensively. Natasha and a few others stayed by the side of an unconscious Hector Harmon.

“Natasha, what’s wrong?” Dustin showed up in the room with a solemn look.

“Dustin, you’ve arrived at the right time! Please check on my dad!” Natasha’s face lit up, and she frantically pulled Dustin over to a pale and sweaty Hector, who had blood stains on his outfit.

Without further ado, Dustin performed a detailed checkup on Hector and announced, “Your dad is weak because he has recently recovered from a grave illness. To top that off, he was drinking like a fish, and that’s why he fainted. He should be fine.”

“That’s good to hear.” A relieved sigh escaped from Jessica’s lips.

“Can you wake him up?” Natasha asked.

“Yes, but I wouldn’t recommend that. It would be best to just let him rest,” Dustin replied.

“We’re running out of time! We need to wake him up, or else the family will be doomed!” Natasha did not look like she was joking.

“Is it that serious?” Eyes twitching, he immediately took three needles and inserted them into Hector’s pressure points between the brows, near the front hairline, and right under his nose. Soon after, Hector’s eyes fluttered open.

“Dad! Do you recall what happened last night?” Natasha immediately asked.

“Last night?” Hector rubbed his head and said groggily. “Last night, it was the birthday event of the regional deputy chief, Sir Moran. I was drinking at his place. Why?”

Chapter 512

“Dad, did you do anything else than drink?” Natasha pressed on.

“What do you mean?” He was puzzled by her questions.

“Dad, think carefully! You can’t make a mistake here!” She was dead serious.

“I think I blacked out from drinking. I can’t remember a thing. What happened?” Hector frowned softly. Natasha finally dropped the bomb. “Dad, Sir Moran’s daughter was dead!”

“She’s dead?” He was stunned by the news. “How did that happen?”

“We don’t have the details yet, but rumors had it that you were the murderer!” Natasha informed him.

“Did they say I was the murderer?” He was completely lost. Eyes bulging, he shook his head vehemently.

“No, that’s impossible! No matter how drunk I am, I would not kill someone!” He might be a lightweight, but he was a well–behaved drunk. Normally, he’d be dead asleep after he was drunk and never made a scene.

“I don’t believe them either, but witnesses claimed they saw you murder her. Sir Moran’s forces are at our door, and they will force their way in at any time! Think carefully! Did you do it or not?” Natasha growled. The regional deputy chief was the third–in–command in Millsburg, and he had the power to ruin the Harmons with
a command.

“I–I really can’t recall a thing, but I believe that I would never do that.” Hector furrowed his brows.

“Gosh, Hector, what’s that good for? Sir Moran doesn’t believe that!” Trent shook his head slowly.

“Yeah, Trent, how could you black out from drinking at someone’s birthday event? You do not have self–control at all!” Jacob seemed disappointed and furious at his sibling. The family had enough on their plate, and the new accusation added insult to injury.

“Uncle Hector, turn yourself in if you were the culprit. Don’t drag your family into it.” At that moment, a slender and alluring beauty emerged from the crowd. She was Trent’s eldest daughter, Kate. Trent had a son and daughter, but after Quentin’s death, Kate immediately came to her father’s side from Stonia.

"Kate Harmon, stop spewing nonsense! My dad is not a murderer!” Ruth glared at her cousin.

“Better not get ahead of yourself. It’s not uncommon for drunk people to commit crimes accidentally. If Uncle Hector is innocent, why would Sir Moran send his men to arrest him?” Kate remarked as if stating the obvious.

Ruth was dumbfounded, “You-”

The accusation might be hard to believe, but there was always a dreadful possibility that it might be true. The problem was that Hector could not recall any memories from that night.

“Could someone have pinned the murder on him?” Dustin blurted out.

Natasha, deep in her thoughts, said, “The possibility has crossed my mind, but I don’t have evidence for now. We need a detailed investigation,” It was too much of a coincidence for the murder to happen at that point. She had reason to suspect foul play.

“I heard that Sir Moran’s daughter was murdered after being sexually assaulted. Uncle Hector, did you get horny after you were drunk and took advantage of her?” Kate dropped another odd speculation.

“Bullshit! My dad is not a rapist!” Ruth instantly jumped up and down with anger. Natasha and Jessica, though quiet, both frowned at the allegation, Kate was an impertinent young lady.

“Kate, stop that nonsense!” Trent berated his daughter. “Your Uncle Hector is a good man. He’ll never do anything like that. Someone must have framed him!”

“You’ll never know what a man’s like behind the back. Who knows?” Kate’s reply was loaded.

“That’s enough! Are you going to add to the mess that this family is already in?” Natasha finally chastised Kate.

Kate merely sneered. “You shouldn’t be yelling at me. Start worrying about cleaning up your dad’s mess.”

“You” Natasha was on the verge of an outburst when Jack ran in with urgency. “Ms. Harmon, things are bad!

The soldiers out there have barged in!”

Chapter 513

“They barged in?” Natasha’s expression dropped. “Quick! Get Deone to stop them!”

Before the truth prevailed, she would never allow them to arrest her dad.

“Stop!” Suddenly. Hector yelled at Jack, “Let them in. No one shall stand in their way!”

“Dad, what are you doing?” Natasha frowned.

“The truth will speak for itself. I have nothing to fear if I didn’t commit the crime.” Hector declared loud and clear.

“But

“Have you ever given it some thought? If I make a move now, I’ll never clear my name.” Hector wore a somber expression on his face. Fighting against Sir Moran’s forces could be perceived as resisting arrest, or, worse, staging a revolt. The Harmons could not afford to be accused of this grave crime.

“Hector’s right. We can’t butt heads with them. Tell all the Harmon disciples to stand aside!” Jacob yelled.

“Yes, sir.” Jack helplessly took the orders. Natasha and the rest were worried, but they were aware of the importance of not adding fuel to the fire. Otherwise, the confrontation might spiral out of control

“Where’s Hector Harmon?” The commander, dressed in uniform, marched up to the doors of the meeting room with a large number of armed soldiers behind him. These were troopers who were in service, and their murderous air sent chills down one’s spine.

“I am Hector Harmon. Sir, what are you here for?” Hector calmly greeted the commander and his men.

“You sullied Sir Moran’s daughter and brutally murdered her! We are under orders to arrest you for trial!” The commander announced icily.

“Nonsense! My dad never killed a soul. You must have gotten it wrong!” Ruth instantly protested.

“Sir, my husband has been a morally upright man. He couldn’t have committed such a huge sin. He must have been framed!” Jessica fought for her husband.

“That’s right! Our patriarch must have been framed!” The family members immediately voiced their support for Hector Harmon, who was known for his honorable character. No one else in the family could claim to be more virtuous than Hector.

“Framed him? That’s a joke!” The commander’s face was taut. “We have solid evidence that clears all the doubts. Those who are not involved, please leave the scene now!”

“Sir, you claimed that my dad is guilty. But where’s the evidence? You need a reason to arrest him, isn’t that right?” Natasha questioned the commander.

He bellowed, “The witness account is clear evidence of Hector Harmon murdering the young lady when he was drunk!”

“A witness can be bought. With money, one can forge a witness statement. It’s pretty common,” Natasha argued. She was displeased by how they wanted to charge Hector over the words of a few witnesses.

“Is a witness‘ account unreliable? Alright, then! I’ll show you some physical evidence!” The commander played a video on his phone. The angle of the footage resembled that of a surveillance camera. In the video, one could see a stocky man assaulting a young lady in her prime. First, he sullied her, followed by suffocating her to death. His actions were inhumane and would incur wrath from anyone.

After choking the lady to death, the man turned around and showed his face. It was Hector Harmon.

“H–how is that possible?” Everyone looked horrified when they saw Hector in the lootage. They never expected that he was the real criminal after all! One could buy off witnesses, but it was hard to create physical evidence out of thin air! Still, the revelation was too shocking, and everyone struggled to process it.

“T–that’s impossible! My dad would never kill someone!” Ruth shook her head forcefully as the color drained from her face.

“How did it turn out this way?” Jessica’s eyes widened in disbelief.