A Billionaire Husband and The Substitute Wife - Love Story of Dominic Peterson and Rachel Daley

In the Daley household, young Rachel's life was akin to a continuous uphill battle. Her mother was relentless in her relentless teasing and torment, and her sister seemed intent on acquiring everything Rachel held dear, including her boyfriend. Yet, the most pressing challenge was the mounting medical bills of her foster mother, Norma—the one soul who had shown Rachel unwavering kindness since her early years and had raised her with a tender heart.

Desperation had driven the Daley family to a rather peculiar arrangement: they agreed to shoulder Norma's medical expenses, but with a caveat. They insisted that Rachel take the plunge into matrimony with Dominic, the illegitimate and seemingly directionless scion of the affluent Peterson family, replacing her sister as his spouse.

As the wedding bells chimed and the ink on their marriage certificate dried, both Rachel and Dominic would soon discover that their newlywed partner harbored a closely guarded secret, poised to shake the very foundation of their union.

Chapter 15 – "Unexpected Encounters and Questions"

Dominic entered the house and found Rachel lounging on the sofa, engrossed in her laptop with cucumber slices on her face. She held a tumbler with a straw, and her bare legs stretched out. She asked if he'd eaten yet, clearly distracted by her TV series.

Smiling at her quirky habits, he replied softly, "I already had dinner with a friend."

Dominic covered her legs with a gray blanket he found nearby before settling beside her. Rachel perked up, curious about the outcome of her job interview.

With a chuckle, Dominic replied, "Maybe the company just values your talents. I saw your resume yesterday, and even I think that you have excellent skills."

Rachel had expected a more surprised reaction, so she was taken aback by his nonchalant response. She brushed it off, assuming the situation was beyond his understanding, and prepared to resume watching her series. However, she paused and turned to him, curiosity piqued.

"Dominic," she asked, "what on earth is it that you do?"

She realized she knew very little about him beyond his name, his small house, his late mother, and the fact that the Peterson family had abandoned him as a bastard child. He always left early in the morning and returned late in the evening, often looking exhausted.

Dominic picked up a magazine and replied, "I'm something of a part-time worker. I do odd jobs here and there."

He paused, seeming to consider something, and then looked at her with intensity, asking, "I'm afraid I don't have a stable job. Do you think you'll grow to resent me for it?"

Rachel quickly reassured him, "Of course not," without hesitation. She didn't mind his circumstances and was genuinely unbothered by them.

Dominic was surprised by her response, and his eyes softened. He was about to express his determination to work hard in the future, but Rachel spoke first.

"In any case, we're nothing more than a couple in name. I didn't actually expect you to support me. Don't put too much pressure on yourself."

Dominic's grip on the magazine tightened, and he responded coldly, "I see."

Rachel was perplexed by his change in mood. After all, he had proposed a contractual marriage, and she had assured him that she wouldn't hold his circumstances against him. She couldn't understand why he seemed displeased.

Rachel attended the second interview with the Porter Group and successfully passed it. At the end of the month, she received a job offer.

The company had two separate buildings in the city, and the design department was located on the seventeenth floor of the first building. It housed a team of talented designers with exceptional skills and experience. Rachel believed it would be an ideal place to start her career.

Before heading upstairs, she stopped by a convenience store near the company to buy coffee. A voice behind her alerted her to the fact that her change was on the floor. When she turned around to accept it, she was surprised to find herself face to face with a familiar figure.

"Mark?"

Markus Dunlop, her senior from college who had a crush on her, stood before her. They hadn't seen each other since she graduated.

He greeted her with a warm smile, and they chatted about their respective roles at the Porter Group. Markus had joined the company right after graduation and had risen to a higher position. Rachel wondered if he had played a part in her second chance at the company.

As they walked and talked, Rachel expressed her gratitude, to which Markus responded with a chuckle, "It's not a big deal. Why do you always feel grateful even for a small favor?"

Rachel, recalling their college days, smiled and said, "I just don't want to owe favors to anyone."

Despite their past, she felt a newfound closeness to Markus after his help in securing her job opportunity.

Chapter 16 – The Unforeseen Encounter

Markus couldn't help but smile, his eyes concealing the deep joy that Rachel's presence brought him. Years had passed since they last crossed paths, yet she appeared more exquisite and graceful than her school days, her bright eyes reminiscent of celestial bodies, and her delicate features captivating him instantly.

Over the years, Markus had never forgotten her, though he hadn't been mature enough during their college days, which may have led to her rejecting him. He couldn't bear the thought of another rejection. Now, working in the same company, he believed he had a chance to win her heart.

"Let's have dinner sometime, so you can return my favor, alright?" he suggested.

Rachel hesitated, "Okay, but I'm quite busy lately. How about next month?"

Mac, as Markus was known, smiled, "No rush at all. I'm free anytime. How about I give you a tour of the company?"

"Okay. Thank you, buddy," Rachel replied, but her smile vanished as she followed him into the elevator.

In the elevator, another man with a charming smile awaited.

"We meet again, Miss Daley," Kristian greeted, his eyes briefly darting between Rachel and Markus.

"Good morning, Mr. Higgins," Rachel replied politely, not expecting to encounter Kristian so soon after their initial meeting.

"Have you encountered any problems since then?" Kristian asked, surprising her with his interest.

After all, they had only met once, and the deputy CEO of the Porter Group seemed unusually concerned about their employees.

"No, everything's fine. Thank you for asking, Mr. Higgins," Rachel replied.

Kristian's gaze shifted to Markus, who stood beside her. "Who is this gentleman?"

"Mr. Higgins, my name is Markus Dunlop. If she encounters any problem, I will help her. Please rest assured," Markus reassured with genuine concern for Rachel.

Kristian was astute and noticed the closeness between Rachel and Markus. His smile faded instantly.

Just as the elevator doors opened, Kristian stepped out, wearing a meaningful expression that hinted at upcoming trouble.

As the day ended, dark clouds shrouded the once-bright sky, casting a gloom over the surroundings. Rachel and Markus exited the building, sharing laughter, and their striking presence turned heads, leaving bystanders wondering if they were fashion models representing the company.

Meanwhile, Dominic sat in his car at the street corner, his gaze fixed on the two figures in the distance. He couldn't tear his eyes away until Rachel and Markus disappeared from view.

"See? I didn't lie to you," Kristian remarked, a smile of schadenfreude creeping onto his face.

Dominic couldn't quite explain it, but he felt a deep unease. He opened the car door and stepped out. "It's none of your business. Stay out of it," he snapped, his eyes smoldering with anger.

After parting ways with Markus, Rachel took a shortcut through an alley to catch the bus. Just as she entered the narrow passage, a familiar voice called out to her.

"Where are you going, babe?" a cold voice rang out.

Rachel recognized the voice immediately and turned to find Dominic standing there. Her cheeks flushed, and she glanced around nervously. Fortunately, no one else had heard his endearment.

"I'm just talking to my wife. I didn't break any laws," Dominic retorted, his tone playfully teasing. He took Rachel's bag and walked beside her.

"What are you doing here?" Rachel inquired, attempting to change the topic.

"I happened to be going the same way and saw you walking with a man. I thought maybe you were heading to a hotel for some fun," Dominic quipped, causing Rachel to blush once more.

Infuriated, she playfully slapped Dominic's shoulder. "Don't talk nonsense. Mac and I were schoolmates. Didn't I tell you about Bridget a few days ago? I believe Mac helped me secure this job."

Dominic halted in his tracks, his face contorted with irritation. He had personally arranged for Kristian to handle the job matter, only to have Rachel attribute her success to her schoolmate. Dominic sneered, "Markus's family lacks the clout to influence the company's decisions. What makes you think the Porter Group hired you because of him or whatever he might have said?"

Rachel chuckled at Dominic's reaction. "Calm down. How can you be so sure? Do you have inside information about the Porter Group?" Her questions left Dominic momentarily speechless, a furrow forming on his forehead as he couldn't reveal any more.

"I socialize with people from there, so I have some insights," Dominic replied, attempting to hide his disappointment.

"You're married, even if only nominally. You must maintain distance from other men," Dominic remarked possessively, surprising Rachel.

"Mac and I were schoolmates, now we're colleagues. Our relationship won't extend beyond that," Rachel reassured him, her gaze fixed on Dominic.

Dominic's possessiveness persisted, and he reached out to touch her silky hair. "Alright, I understand. Don't keep your head down. Look at the road."

Rachel's flushed cheeks only enhanced her beauty as they walked to the bus stop. She searched her bag for coins, glancing at the row of buses ahead.

"Are we taking the bus home?" Dominic inquired.

"Of course. Our home is quite a distance from here, and taking a taxi would be expensive."

Rachel finally found two coins and handed them to Dominic. "Here you go."

Dominic examined the coins, perplexed. "You're the precious daughter of the Daley family. Why hesitate to take a taxi?"

Rachel clutched her wallet tightly, remembering her role as the pampered Ivonne. "I used to spend my money recklessly, so I don't have any savings. Besides, I've been having disputes with my parents lately, so I don't want to ask them for money. I'm broke," she fabricated, masking her nervousness.

Dominic's suspicion was evident as he raised an eyebrow. "You're playing the role of the spoiled daughter now, I see."

Rachel's eyelashes fluttered as she looked away, her rosy lips forming a smile.

Chapter 17 – A Lavish Encounter

Dominic caressed the coins in his hand, his thoughts wandering back to the heated arguments he had witnessed between Rachel and her parents during his visit to the Daley family's mansion. It was evident that their relationship was strained, but he couldn't fathom the depth of their conflicts.

"Why are you so nervous whenever I mention your family?" Dominic asked, his voice gentle as he ruffled Rachel's hair affectionately.

Rachel hesitated, her gaze fixed on the coins, "How can I use a woman's money? You should use mine instead."

After a moment of contemplation, Dominic extracted his wallet from his jacket pocket and placed it in Rachel's hands. "I've earned some money from my part-time job at a shop these past few days."

Rachel looked down at the wallet, her bangs concealing her pretty face.

Their silent exchange was interrupted by a voice dripping with sarcasm.

"It appears that you've truly been leading a miserable life, unable to even afford a taxi and resorting to taking the bus home," taunted Ivonne, who sat in a white BMW parked nearby, accompanied by Brian.

Removing her sunglasses, Ivonne continued, "I suppose I can give you a ride, but make sure you wipe your shoes thoroughly before stepping into my babe's new car."

In response, Rachel swiftly pulled out her phone and began taking photos of the BMW's license plate. She then pointed towards a nearby road sign.

"Did you not notice that parking is prohibited here? If you don't move immediately, I'll report you to the traffic authorities."

Brian felt a burning sense of shame, as he had initially wanted to avoid antagonizing Rachel by driving away, but Ivonne had insisted on staying. Ivonne, on the other hand, crossed her arms, scoffing at Rachel.

"Go ahead and report us. We can afford the fine, no matter how steep it is. Unlike you, who probably can't even afford a taxi. You must be out here begging for alms, just like some penniless vagrant. Oh, wait, I take that back. Even our dog has more dignity."

Ivonne's cruel words pierced Rachel deeply, and she clenched her fists, struggling to restrain herself from retaliating verbally. She felt as though her hard-earned self-esteem had crumbled in an instant, and she was transported back to her younger, vulnerable self.

Rachel clenched her fists so tightly that her nails nearly pierced her palm. She refused to let anyone see her cry.

Dominic, suddenly, pulled her close into his embrace, her head resting on his broad, warm chest.

At that moment, a Lamborghini roared onto the scene, screeching to a halt just a few feet behind the BMW.

"Whose car is that?" Brian exclaimed. "It's a limited edition model!"

Ivonne and Brian were both astonished, thinking that it belonged to a wealthy young man trying to flaunt his affluence and attract attention.

Ivonne couldn't hide her covetous gaze as she admired the sleek Lamborghini, a vehicle that very few people in the city, if not the entire country, could afford.

The Lamborghini's driver emerged from the car, bypassed the BMW, and stopped in front of Dominic. He bowed respectfully and spoke in a deferential tone.

"I apologize for keeping you waiting, sir. Please, get in the car."

Ivonne and Brian were left dumbfounded. Could it be that this young man actually owned the Lamborghini? It seemed inconceivable.

Dominic nodded at the driver, gently squeezing Rachel's shoulder. "Let's go home," he murmured softly.

Ivonne glared at the scene with frustration, her anger boiling over. She couldn't fathom the kind of man Rachel had married. Throughout the exchange, Rachel had remained nestled in Dominic's arms. When she eventually glanced towards the Lamborghini, she froze, her eyes locked on the extravagant car.

"Dominic..."

Her voice trembled as she stared at the Lamborghini, and Dominic seemed unfazed. He gently guided Rachel into the backseat of the car, and without a word to Ivonne or Brian, they drove away.

As Rachel gazed out the window, Brian couldn't help but feel a pang of regret. He didn't truly care about Rachel's choice of husband, but he did lament his own foolishness and immaturity that had led to losing her.

Ivonne noticed the tenderness in Brian's eyes as he looked at Rachel and clenched her teeth in anger. She had initially pursued Brian as a way to take something away from Rachel, but now it seemed that Rachel's "loss" didn't affect her at all, and Brian appeared hesitant to part ways.

Ivonne couldn't comprehend why she couldn't compete with Rachel.

Meanwhile, Rachel was seated in the luxurious comfort of the Lamborghini's backseat. It wasn't until they had driven some distance that she snapped out of her daze. She turned to Dominic, her expression a mix of confusion, anger, and perhaps a hint of fear.

"Dominic! What on earth is happening?"

Chapter 18 – A New Beginning

Dominic turned his gaze away, his voice gentle as he replied, "I rented this car for your first day at work. I wanted to pick you up in style."

Rachel, however, couldn't help but feel concerned about the extravagance. "Renting a luxury car for just a day must have been expensive, Dominic. I appreciate the gesture, but you don't need to do this for me. We need to face our reality and live within our means."

Rachel's words were hesitant, her thoughts conflicted. She was not the biological daughter of the Daley family, but rather a simple girl who had grown up in poverty. The situation was embarrassing, and she had been working tirelessly to save money for Norma's medical expenses and her daily needs. Even though Dominic didn't spend her money, she found it difficult to see him splurge on unnecessary luxuries.

Upon further reflection, she realized that changing Dominic's spending habits might be challenging because he was accustomed to a lavish lifestyle. Rachel decided not to push too hard and handed the wallet back to him with a grin.

"Let's forget about it," she said cheerfully. "Today is my first day at work, and I think we should celebrate it. You should save the money for yourself; I believe you'll need it too."

Dominic agreed, and Rachel's smile returned. She stretched her body and sighed contentedly. "I've never been in a luxurious Lamborghini before."

Dominic joined her in the car, but he remained silent, his wallet still in hand.

The next morning, Rachel embarked on her daily bus commute to the company. The long journey left her exhausted, and by the time she arrived at work, she was already drained. Her colleague informed her that the department director had requested her presence.

"I'll be right there," Rachel replied, yawning as she tried to shake off her fatigue.

Rachel had yet to meet the department director, whom she had heard was a talented designer. When she entered his office, she noticed Nikolas Barrett, a man in his thirties with an average height, standing before his desk. His eyes widened with astonishment when he saw Rachel.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Nikolas Barrett," he greeted, extending his hand. "I returned from a business trip a few days ago and just got back today. Welcome to the design department."

Rachel smiled and shook his hand. "Thank you, Mr. Barrett."

While Nikolas had a reputation for being a strict boss, he appeared kind and friendly towards Rachel. However, his lingering gaze made her uncomfortable, as if he were envisioning her without her clothes.

"Feel free to approach me if you have any questions or encounter any issues with your work. I oversee all the design projects at our company," Nikolas said, narrowing his eyes as he examined Rachel's face.

Rachel sensed his unsettling gaze and promptly left his office, feeling a shiver run down her spine.

As Rachel returned home from work that evening, she found herself exhausted from the long commute. She collapsed onto the sofa, drained from the day's activities. Dominic, sitting by the window, was sorting through documents. He noticed Rachel's fatigued expression and closed the file, looking at her with concern.

"Why don't we rent a house closer to your workplace? Your daily commute is quite lengthy," he suggested.

Rachel, still feeling weary, looked at him and replied, "It's too expensive, Dominic. The company is located in the city center, and houses there are pricey. I can't afford it."

Dominic, determined to make life easier for Rachel, assured her, "Leave it to me. I promise to find you a comfortable house with reasonable rent."

Rachel, considering the idea, agreed. "Alright, try to find a house with affordable rent."

The prospect of a shorter commute and more time for her work and visits to the hospital for Norma's sake sounded appealing.

The next day, Rachel followed her usual routine, taking the bus to work. Time seemed to fly by, with her long commutes consuming most of her day. She was summoned by Markus in the company elevator.

"What a coincidence! How about we go back together?" Markus suggested, smiling.

Rachel noticed that she and Markus seemed to cross paths every day after work since she joined the Porter Group. Sometimes, they even met when she worked late.

"Mac, why do we keep running into each other after work?" Rachel asked, puzzled.

Her inability to say no to people was a recurring issue for her.

As she considered his proposal, her phone rang, displaying Dominic's name on the screen. She quickly answered the call.

"What's up?" she inquired.

"I found a house. I'm in the cafe across from your company. Let's go see it together," Dominic's voice was concise and to the point.

Rachel put her phone away and turned to Markus apologetically. "I'm sorry, Mac, but I have important business to attend to. I have to go now."

Markus, understanding, replied, "No problem, go ahead."

He watched Rachel leave with a smile, unable to hear the conversation on the other end of the call. However, he couldn't help but notice the genuine bond she seemed to share with the caller.

As Markus exited the Porter Group building later, he spotted Rachel and a tall man disappearing around a corner. The man was carrying Rachel's laptop bag.

Markus couldn't help but feel intrigued as he observed them. The man had a striking presence, and Markus couldn't deny that he was handsome.

Meanwhile, Dominic and Rachel arrived at the apartment Dominic had mentioned earlier. It was conveniently located near the Porter Group and offered two bedrooms, a living room, a bathroom, and a kitchen.

Rachel was initially delighted with the apartment, praising its excellent lighting and proximity to her workplace.

However, her joy was short-lived as she began to suspect something unusual. She arched an eyebrow and asked, "This apartment seems perfect in every way. But I have to ask, how much is the rent? I asked you to find an affordable place."

Dominic looked at Rachel, amused by her flustered expression, and finally revealed the surprising truth. "The landlord is eager to rent this place out due to personal reasons, so he's only charging two hundred dollars."

Rachel's eyes widened in disbelief at the incredibly low rent. She couldn't believe her ears.

Chapter 19 – A Fresh Start

Rachel couldn't shake her skepticism about the unbelievably low rent of the apartment. She cast a suspicious look at the supposed realtor and pulled Dominic closer to her side.

"How is that possible? Could this be a scam?" she asked, her voice filled with doubt.

Dominic, however, remained composed and addressed the so-called realtor. "Can you confirm what she's saying? Is the rent really this low?"

The man, who was actually pretending to be a realtor under Dominic's orders, wiped sweat from his forehead. He hoped that Rachel would be gullible enough to believe his act. Making any mistakes in front of Rachel would jeopardize his job.

"Yes, Mrs. Peterson," the man replied. "The owner of the house is quite eager to rent it out, and he's willing to lower the rent significantly."

Rachel, though still skeptical, nodded and decided to inspect the apartment further. She meticulously examined each room, checking closets, drawers, and even under the beds.

Observing her thorough inspection, Dominic couldn't help but ask in a hushed voice, "What are you doing?"

Rachel straightened up and explained, "Something doesn't add up. The rent for a place like this can't be this cheap. There must be something wrong with this house—perhaps it's haunted or has a dark history. We should investigate thoroughly."

Dominic couldn't help but be amused by her cautious approach. "You're overthinking things," he said, stepping closer to her and gently wiping some dust off her cheek. His touch left a lingering warmth on her skin.

Blushing slightly, Rachel quickly wiped her face and turned to face Dominic. "You're too naive. I have a feeling there's more to this house than meets the eye. Otherwise, why would the rent be so low? I need to talk to the realtor about this."

Determined, she rolled up her sleeves and headed to the living room. "I'm going to negotiate a better deal."

In the living room, Rachel wasted no time and made a bold offer to the supposed realtor. "One hundred bucks a month. What do you say?"

The man, taken aback by her audacious offer, was momentarily speechless. However, the apartment didn't belong to him, and he needed to consult the landlord.

"Mrs. Peterson, I'm actually surprised by your offer," he replied, taking out his phone as an excuse to step out of the room. He glanced at Dominic, silently seeking his opinion.

Dominic understood the situation and gave a subtle nod of approval.

Rachel, feeling a bit anxious, had not expected her offer to be accepted. A few minutes later, the man returned with a smile.

"The landlord has agreed to your terms," he announced.

Rachel's jaw dropped in astonishment. She had tried to negotiate a lower price but hadn't anticipated the landlord would accept her offer so readily. She blinked at Dominic, seeking reassurance.

Dominic coughed, slightly taken aback by the turn of events. "Is something wrong?"

Rachel, still in shock, managed to stammer, "I don't think this is an ordinary situation. There must be something terribly wrong with this house. Why else would the landlord agree to such a low rent?"

Dominic found himself distracted by Rachel's warm breath and the close proximity of her face. After a moment's hesitation, he blinked and asked, "Do you want to look for another place?"

Rachel, however, was resolute. "No, we're fortunate to find such an affordable place. I won't let it slip away. Besides, even if it's haunted, I don't mind inviting ghosts for dinner."

Dominic couldn't help but smile at her courage and pinched her cheek playfully.

Rachel, blushing from the unexpected touch, swatted his hand away. "Dominic, it hurts!"

"Let me help," Dominic said, stepping closer to her, but Rachel, unable to reach his face, stood on her tiptoes.

Dominic, realizing the situation, quickly retreated. Rachel's cheeks turned even redder, and she scolded him, "Don't move! There's still dust on your hand. I'm just wiping it off for you."

Dominic, amused by her reaction, watched her with a smile. He found her incredibly endearing.

The following day, Rachel and Dominic moved into the apartment. The convenient location allowed Rachel to save time on her daily commute to work, giving her more opportunities to accept freelance design projects and earn extra income. On weekends, she made sure to visit Norma at the hospital.

"Norma, I've been thinking about transferring you to a better hospital for treatment. The city hospitals have more advanced facilities, and it would be easier for me to visit you," Rachel explained as she peeled an apple for her.

Norma, who had grown weaker and had white hair despite being in her sixties, shook her head. "The city hospitals would be too expensive. I'm fine here."

Rachel knew that Norma was aware of her financial struggles, even though they rarely discussed them openly. "I've found a new job, and I can manage the expenses. Please don't worry about me."

Smiling, Rachel offered Norma a plate filled with apple slices. "Eat some apples."

After leaving the hospital, Rachel attempted to reach out to Joseph and Kate through phone calls but received no response. Frustrated, she decided to visit the Daley family's house once again.

As she rang the doorbell, the maid who answered appeared annoyed and demanded, "Why do you keep ringing the doorbell?"

Rachel was undeterred and insisted, "Let me in. I need to speak to Joseph and Kate."

The maid huffed and replied, "The entire family is on vacation in the Maldives. They're not here."

Desperation gnawed at Rachel as she asked, "When will they return?"

The maid simply shrugged and said, "I don't know. You'll have to ask them."

With the door slammed in her face, Rachel couldn't contain her anger and frustration. She kicked the door and shouted, "You lying bastards! You'll all rot in hell!"

Her attempts to reach Joseph and Kate had failed, and she needed to find a way to cover Norma's medical bills. It seemed like her prayers had been answered when she stumbled upon an online advertisement about a hospital offering a thousand dollars to volunteers for clinical trials on tumor drugs.

These trials required participants to stay in the hospital for a few days while trying out the medications. In case of any side effects, participants would receive compensation ranging from ten to forty thousand dollars, depending on the severity of the issue. It appeared to be a potential solution to Rachel's financial woes.

She was young and healthy, and the prospect of side effects didn't deter her. Rachel believed this opportunity could help her secure the necessary funds.

Chapter 20 – Unveiling Opportunities

Rachel visited the hospital to register for the clinical trial and underwent a physical examination. She planned to start the trial the following week.

As Dominic entered their home, he was greeted by the delicious aroma of food wafting through the air. He couldn't help but ask, "Why did you come back early today?"

Rachel, wearing a pink apron that emphasized her alluring figure, continued tossing spaghetti in a pan. The bowtie on her back seemed to invite Dominic to unravel it and discover the tempting gift beneath.

Dominic's eyes darkened as he felt a sudden heat rising within him. He unbuttoned his collar and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge.

"I had some free time today," he replied, still focused on Rachel's appearance. "Is that an apron? It's pink and barely covers your thighs."

He couldn't help but tease her, though his real intentions remained hidden beneath his playful words.

Rachel shot him a sidelong glance, her eyes filled with playful annoyance. She continued to work without missing a beat, her curvaceous figure gracefully moving around the kitchen.

Dominic couldn't help but be entranced by her as he placed several design sketches on the dining table. He began sorting the papers, but one slipped from his grasp, revealing a document underneath—a physical examination report.

Dominic's expression changed as he examined the report, which included a nicotine test result. He couldn't understand why such a test would be necessary.

While Dominic was preoccupied with the report, Rachel brought a salad to the table. She noticed that he seemed distracted and asked, "Is something wrong? Don't you like the food?"

Dominic looked up, his fork still in his hand, and replied, "No, it's not the food. I was just thinking about something."

Rachel, concerned, inquired further, "What's on your mind?"

Dominic put his fork down and stared at the report. "Did you volunteer for a drug trial?"

Rachel's hand trembled, causing her fork to fall. She was taken aback by the sudden question and tried to maintain her composure. "Yes, I did. The hospital conducts regular trials like these. Moreover, it's legal. Why do you look at me as if I've done something terrible?"

Dominic, however, was visibly disturbed by her response. He put down his fork and leaned in closer to her, his voice stern. "Don't go. Do you not realize that drug trials can have serious side effects?"

Rachel's heart raced as she tried to remain calm. "I'm in urgent need of money right now. I have no other choice."

Dominic's anger flared, and his eyes smoldered with intensity. "How much money do you need? I'm your husband. If you're facing difficulties, why can't you tell me? Why resort to something like this?"

Rachel, her eyes filled with tears, met his gaze unflinchingly. "We are husband and wife only in the eyes of the world. You've made it clear that we shouldn't meddle in each other's affairs. Why should I share my problems with you, let alone ask for money?"

Her words left Dominic speechless. He rubbed his temples, his chest tightening with unease. He stood up and suggested, "Let's calm down and find a solution together."

Dominic left the room, closing the door behind him. Outside, the cool summer breeze and the chirping of cicadas filled the air. Dominic took a deep breath, inhaling the sweet scent of roses from the balcony, which Rachel had planted.

Leaning against the door, Dominic contemplated his actions. He realized that he had overstepped his boundaries that night. Although he had initially married Rachel without any intention of forming a genuine bond, his feelings had unexpectedly deepened over time. He found himself growing more fond of her with each passing day.

Running a hand through his hair, Dominic let out a sigh. He couldn't comprehend why he cared so much about Rachel's well-being. It was a dilemma he needed to confront.

Inside the house, Rachel stood by the table, her hands gripping the plates tightly. She had cooked dinner for Dominic, and her attire was an alluring floral apron. However, when Dominic had abruptly questioned her about the drug trial, it had disrupted their peaceful evening.

Dominic returned to the room and took the tableware from her. "I'll wash them," he offered.

Rachel, her annoyance still lingering, held the plates tightly. The oil from the vessels had stained her clothes, and she didn't want to give in. "You don't need to wash them. I'm afraid you'll only break them."

Dominic chuckled, putting the tableware aside. "Why did I come back, you ask? Do you want to cry alone here?"

Rachel, with her eyes slightly red and puffy from the earlier confrontation, replied defiantly, "Don't touch me. I'm not crying!"

Taken aback, Dominic realized he had gone too far. He stepped aside, allowing her some space. She began washing the dishes at the sink, ignoring him. Dominic decided to leave her be.

The next day, when Rachel went to work, several messages appeared on her computer. She opened her email and found a message from a potential client offering a high payment for a design project. The offered amount was a staggering twenty thousand dollars.

Rachel was stunned. It was a significant opportunity and potentially her largest client since graduating. However, she expected that such a high-paying client would come with strict demands.

"May I know whether you are a gentleman or a lady?" Rachel asked, inquiring about the client's preferences.

The client's response arrived promptly, and Rachel read the message on her screen. "Male."

With the conversation underway, Rachel continued, "Do you have specific requirements regarding the design, sir?" She was ready to discuss the project details and seize this opportunity.

I am beginning to fall in love with this novel. It's just so refreshing and close to reality.
I really appreciate your efforts Master Junlee 🙏

Chapter 21 – A Surprise Dinner

Rachel eagerly leaned forward in her chair, her chin resting on her hand, as she awaited a list of demanding specifications from the client. She couldn't believe that a high-paying client like this would be content with her initial design.

To her surprise, the client responded quickly, expressing satisfaction with her previous work and giving her complete creative freedom. He even mentioned that he would provide feedback once she presented her first draft.

Filled with excitement, Rachel immediately began working on a prototype based on the client's measurements. Simultaneously, she had to prepare tentative designs for her regular work at the company, ensuring none of her efforts went to waste.

After several sleepless nights, Rachel finally had a final design to present to the client. She created a stylish ensemble consisting of a double-breasted gray jacket, matching trousers, a crisp white dress shirt, and a sleek black tie, completed with a silver tie clip.

Rachel was prepared for the client to request significant revisions, as was customary in her field. However, the client's response surprised her.

"This is brilliant!" he exclaimed.

Rachel, still cautious, inquired, "Do you need me to make any further refinements?"

The client's reassuring response arrived promptly. "Not for the time being. I will contact you if there's anything I want to change in the future. Don't worry; your price is fair. I am paying for the uniqueness and originality of your design."

Rachel was relieved by his words and about to express her gratitude when a payment notification appeared on her dashboard. The client had confirmed the deal and wired the agreed-upon amount of twenty thousand dollars into her account.

Overwhelmed with joy and pride, Rachel couldn't help but jump on her bed in celebration. She felt like a child who had just received a wonderful surprise.

However, her jubilation was short-lived as there was an urgent knock at her bedroom door. She realized that her loud outburst might have caught Dominic's attention. Without waiting for her response, Dominic entered her room.

Concerned, he asked, "Did something happen?"

Rachel, still exuberant, exclaimed, "Dominic! We finally have money!" She bounced on her bed with excitement, her long hair dancing around her flushed cheeks.

In her elation, she moved closer to Dominic and hugged him without thinking. Dominic instinctively caught her, feeling her warmth and the scent of her hair. For a brief moment, he was lost in the sensation of holding her.

However, the realization of their close proximity hit Rachel, and she abruptly pulled away, her face turning bright red with embarrassment.

"I didn't mean anything by it... I was just so happy that I lost track of what I was doing. I'm sorry," Rachel stammered as she hastily tried to regain her composure.

Dominic, his expression unchanged, reassured her, "It's alright. No harm done."

Rachel cleared her throat, eager to change the subject. "Why did you come in here, by the way?"

Dominic explained, "I heard you yelling and thought something bad had happened."

Worried that she might disturb him in the future, Rachel said, "Did I disturb you? I'll try to keep my voice down."

Dominic shook his head and lay down on her bed. The lingering warmth and scent from Rachel's earlier embrace enveloped him. He casually asked, "What happened? Why are you so happy?"

Rachel, sitting in a chair beside her desk, finally shared her exciting news. "I met a wealthy and generous client who asked me to design for him. I just submitted my draft, and I got paid."

Dominic opened his eyes and saw the joy radiating from Rachel's face. He couldn't help but smile. "Then, you don't have to go for the drug trial. That's good news."

Rachel grinned, her cheeks flushed with happiness. "It's all thanks to you, Dominic."

Dominic's response was filled with warmth. "I just want you to be safe and happy."

Over the next few days, Rachel went to the hospital to pay Norma's medical bills. She still had three thousand dollars left in her bank account, providing a financial cushion.

When she returned home one evening, Rachel decided to treat Dominic to a celebratory dinner. She was filled with gratitude for her newfound financial stability and wanted to share her joy.

"Dominic, let's go out for dinner tonight. It's my treat! I want to buy you a lavish meal," Rachel suggested as she playfully raised her wallet.

Dominic noticed her excitement and the sparkle in her eyes. He agreed and said, "Alright, I know a nice place."

They arrived at the entrance of a magnificent restaurant, but as Rachel pushed open the door, her expression shifted to one of shock and horror.

Chapter 22 – Gastronomic Confrontation: Unmasking the Elite

The evening unfurled with an air of tension, and the luxurious restaurant, a prized gem within the Porter Group's empire, bore witness to a clash of egos.

"Dominic, this is the city's finest establishment," Rachel proclaimed with a note of awe.

It was a restaurant synonymous with opulence, a place where dining was an art. Yet, Rachel was acutely aware that indulging in such culinary extravagance would drain her savings.

Dominic raised an eyebrow, feigning innocence. "Weren't you the one insisting on a grand dinner?"

Rachel clenched her teeth, her smile strained. "Yes, never mind. Let's go inside."

Once seated, Rachel's eyes danced nervously across the menu, where the prices themselves were a work of fiction. Every dish seemed to mock her modest budget.

Her heart sank with every passing glance, for she couldn't find a single dish within her reach. It was a culinary realm beyond her means.

Suppressing her disappointment, Rachel continued to peruse the menu, but time was a fleeting luxury.

"Miss, could you please hurry up? We have other patrons to serve," a waiter chimed in impatiently, accompanied by disdainful glances from the waitstaff.

Two nearby waitresses whispered among themselves, their scorn palpable.

"If they can't afford it, why did they come here?"

"They're not regulars. They've been perusing the menu for ten minutes. Aren't they embarrassed?"

With determination, Rachel put down the menu card. Her complexion paled, and she summoned the courage to confront the two impertinent waitresses.

"What are you whispering about? There's no time limit for ordering in your establishment. Can't we take a moment to choose?"

The two waitresses assessed Rachel and Dominic, jumping to conclusions about their financial status, oblivious to the storm they were brewing.

"We didn't say anything; it must be a misunderstanding," one waitress confidently declared.

"That's right. We were just discussing our dinner options," the other chimed in, slyly.

Dominic, unamused by their behavior, intervened, his voice resonating with authority. "I, too, overheard your conversation."

The waitresses recoiled, their facade shattered. "Are you trying to create trouble here?" one of them asked, her voice teetering on the brink of tears.

At that moment, the restaurant manager, alerted by the commotion, approached their table, his demeanor reflecting the gravity of the situation.

"What's happening here?" he inquired, his gaze shifting between Rachel, Dominic, and the waitstaff.

The waitress pointed an accusing finger at Dominic. "These two have been holding up the menu without placing an order. We only reminded them, and they started arguing."

The manager, oblivious to the nuances of their predicament, sided with the waitstaff, his face darkening.

This restaurant was renowned, but it was no stranger to diners who frequented it merely for social media posts and photographs. It was a place where appearances often trumped appetites, a reality that irked the manager.

"Enough! Cease this bickering," he commanded, attempting to quell the rising tide of controversy. "Don't disrupt the other patrons. What's going on here?"

The waitresses seized the opportunity to emphasize Dominic's apparent transgressions, further solidifying their version of events.

"I've already spoken to the waitstaff," the manager stated, seemingly convinced by their story. "You two were causing a scene over nothing. How dare you question my judgment?"

Frustration bubbled within Dominic as he beheld the manager's obstinacy. This was a restaurant under the Porter Group's banner, and yet, its staff was showing a complete disregard for patrons.

He folded his arms, his countenance unyielding. "Why do you assume we have no intention of ordering? You blindly trust their words without considering our perspective."

The argument had captured the attention of the entire restaurant, patrons pausing their meals to observe the spectacle. Even passersby outside pressed their faces against the glass, curious about the unfolding drama.

The manager, fearful of tarnishing the restaurant's reputation, felt the pressure mounting. Media scrutiny was the last thing he desired.

"I've already inquired with the waitstaff," the manager retorted defensively. "You two were needlessly causing trouble. Our establishment doesn't cater to loiterers."

Rachel's anger flared at the manager's insistence on defending his staff's rudeness. She approached him, her voice carrying a fiery resolve.

"This is supposed to be an upscale restaurant," she exclaimed, her indignation unapologetic. "How can you insult your customers like this? Your service is deplorable, and your staff is rude. And when we dare to point it out, you want to expel us? My husband didn't say anything inappropriate. You've crossed a line!"

The manager, fearing the escalation of the situation, clung to a flimsy façade of professionalism. "What are you talking about?" he snapped, his composure waning. "Don't spread baseless rumors that could harm our reputation. Our restaurant is renowned for its impeccable service."

Dominic, withholding a smile at his wife's fervor, intervened with a steely demeanor. "Summon your boss. I want to see him. Now."

The manager's years of experience hinted at Dominic's significance, despite his disheveled attire. If not for his appearance, he might have passed as a wealthy magnate or a scion of nobility. Yet, his clothes told a different story—a story the manager couldn't ignore.

He sneered, belittling Dominic as an troublemaker.

"Who do you think you are? My boss won't entertain just anyone's whims."

"Believe it or not," Dominic replied, his voice ominously calm, "if he doesn't show up, I will ensure this restaurant remains shuttered tomorrow."

The manager, comprehending the gravity of the threat, quaked in his shoes. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead, his arrogance giving way to desperation.

"Wait and see," he stammered, pointing an accusatory finger at Dominic. "Our boss will teach you a lesson."

Within minutes, the manager returned with the restaurant's owner, whose complexion paled upon seeing Dominic. He was acutely aware of the blunder his staff had committed.

"Boss, they're causing a ruckus. We should call the police," the manager asserted, his voice quivering.

The owner, bearing the weight of responsibility, reacted swiftly. "Shut up!" he barked at the manager. He turned to Rachel and Dominic, his expression grave.

"All three of you, apologize to our guests immediately."

The manager and waitstaff could only hang their heads in shame as the tables turned, and the curtain was lifted on their shoddy behavior.

Chapter 23 – A Night of Revelations

The manager and the waitresses exchanged furtive glances, expecting their boss to cast the troublesome couple out. To their astonishment, the owner of the restaurant had an unexpected response.

The owner, his forehead glistening with sweat, turned his stern gaze toward his staff. "What have I told you? Guests are akin to deities. People come to our establishment for exceptional cuisine and service. What is happening here?"

Fear struck the manager and waitresses as they immediately pressed their palms together and offered apologetic bows to Dominic and Rachel.

"We apologize for our behavior. It was not our intention to insult you. Please, accept our heartfelt apologies. We deeply regret our actions."

Dominic, however, remained stoic and unresponsive, calmly pouring himself a glass of water.

Rachel, on the other hand, appeared bewildered by the sudden turn of events.

"Why is the owner of this restaurant being so friendly to you? And why didn't he investigate the situation further? How did he know that the waitresses were rude to us?"

Rachel fired off her questions in rapid succession.

"He didn't need to investigate," Dominic explained, his tone composed. "High-end establishments handle situations delicately, as their reputation is paramount. The manager and waitresses were inconsiderate, but the owner knew how to handle the situation. After all, even losing a single customer could damage their business significantly."

Rachel nodded, her lip caught between her teeth as she processed Dominic's explanation. His words made sense, and she chose not to delve further into the matter.

"Speaking of which…" She grinned mischievously and nudged his arm. "You certainly appeared quite dominant, as if you were their boss."

Dominic smirked. "In our line of work, one must maintain a façade at all times. It's a perilous world out there. Otherwise, I'd be long gone."

With the tension diffused, they resumed their meal, which the owner graciously offered as a token of his apology. Rachel, relieved of any financial burden, indulged in her favorite dishes, even receiving a bottle of Lafite as a gesture of goodwill.

Having never tasted such expensive wine, she savored a few glasses and soon found herself pleasantly tipsy.

Dominic, attentive to her condition, lifted her into his arms as they exited the restaurant, where Andy was waiting by the car.

Andy greeted Dominic with a grin. "Boss, you and your wife seem to be in high spirits today."

"She's had a bit too much to drink," Dominic replied, gently placing Rachel in the car.

"Ask Kristian to inspect all the restaurants under the Porter Group once again."

Though Rachel hadn't consumed much alcohol, she was a lightweight. As the car sped away, she complained of feeling overheated and attempted to remove her coat, even though she was already wearing a thin camisole.

Dominic, mindful of the presence of his assistant, Andy, reminded her, "Behave yourself. We're not alone in the car."

Andy, averting his gaze, observed the scene discreetly. It was unusual to witness Dominic's joviality and intimacy with anyone, and the sight left him with mixed emotions.

"Have I become gentler?" Dominic wondered aloud, his thoughts veering in introspection.

However, he quickly dismissed the notion. "Gentle" hardly encapsulated his character, considering Andy had witnessed his formidable and perilous side on numerous occasions.

Despite the teasing and Rachel's protestations of feeling overheated, Dominic couldn't resist the allure of her proximity. Their passions flared as he succumbed to temptation, his lips capturing hers in a passionate kiss.

The intensity of their kiss escalated, and Dominic's desire grew unrestrained. He cradled Rachel in his arms, their bodies pressed together in the car. The kiss deepened, fueled by their rising desires.

Rachel, breathless and overwhelmed, attempted to push Dominic away, but his persistence only heightened the fervor of their embrace.

"Dominic… Please, don't bite me…" she gasped, her voice laden with longing and protest. "You're too heavy... You're crushing me."

Despite her efforts to resist, Dominic's hands held her firmly, and their kisses grew ever more impassioned. He lifted her onto his lap, his hands exploring her curves.

Their passion threatened to consume them when suddenly, Andy slammed on the brakes, jolting them forward and averting a near collision.

Andy, still reeling from the shock, exclaimed, "That was close! I nearly ran over a dog..."

Realization dawned upon him as he turned to face the couple, now positioned awkwardly in the car's interior. A flush of embarrassment colored his cheeks.

Dominic, regaining his composure, heaved a sigh and looked at Andy. "We've arrived."

Andy, flustered, mumbled an apology, his gaze averted. The incident had taken him by surprise, leaving him red-faced.

Dominic carried Rachel into their home, tucking her into bed as her disheveled hair framed her serene face. He couldn't help but chuckle softly.

"You never do listen, do you?" he mused, pinching her cheek affectionately.

Rachel, oblivious to the world, rolled onto her side, unexpectedly pulling Dominic down beside her. Caught off guard, he tumbled onto the bed.

Rachel clung to him like a koala, wrapping her legs around his, her head resting against his chest. She clutched him with an intensity that mirrored the bonds of their love, and soon, her rhythmic breathing gave way to peaceful slumber.

Dominic, gazing down at his beloved, couldn't help but smile. Tonight had been an evening of revelations, reminding him of the precious and unpredictable moments life had to offer.

Chapter 24 – A Morning of Regrets

Rachel's toes subtly grazed against Dominic's shins, igniting a fervent desire within him. His body pulsed with longing, yearning for the intimacy they had shared moments ago.

Dominic's inner fire raged, and he yearned to yield to his desires. Their passionate encounter in the car had left him craving more.

With an ardent resolve, he turned on the bed, drawing closer to her, their bodies pressed together in an embrace. The alluring scent of her skin left his mouth parched, and he couldn't help but admire her delicate figure.

Rachel, always modest in her attire, possessed an irresistible charm. Her petite frame, accentuated by a slender waist, was complemented by voluptuous curves, rendering her akin to a model.

Dominic leaned forward, his lips tracing the contours of her neck. His desire soared, his gaze fixated on her bosom, gently rising and falling with each breath.

Yet, in the midst of his overwhelming desire, he abruptly withdrew, his body stiffening with restraint. He clenched his fists and cursed silently.

Dominic's longing was undeniable, but he couldn't act upon it. Rachel was inebriated, and he refused to exploit her vulnerable state.

Retreating from her, he leaned against the headboard, studying her features intently. He hadn't had the chance to truly observe her before.

Rachel possessed a flawless visage, her features symmetrical and pristine. A hint of youthful plumpness graced her cheeks, adding to her allure.

Although Dominic recognized that she had a slim build, he found her current appearance captivating. She exuded an air of innocence and purity that he cherished.

As Rachel slumbered peacefully, her even breaths soothing, Dominic shook his head in amusement. "You never listen, do you?" he whispered, pinching her cheek tenderly.

Torn between desire and restraint, he quietly exited the room, leaving Rachel to her dreams.

In the bathroom, Dominic discovered that the water he had prepared for Rachel had turned cold. It was a small sacrifice, as he had an alternative means of regaining his composure.

He sighed wearily and removed his T-shirt before immersing himself in a cold shower, willing his body to cool down.

Dominic's thoughts lingered on the passionate moments he had shared with Rachel, their desires barely restrained. As he emerged from the bathroom, his self-control had been restored, but his mind remained entangled in the memory of their intimacy.

The following morning, a ray of sunlight gently caressed Rachel's face, stirring her from her slumber. She blinked, her bleary eyes gradually adjusting to the new day. Her throat felt parched, and a dull ache throbbed in her temples, serving as a relentless reminder of her previous night's indulgence.

With a scratchy groan, she raked her fingers through her tousled hair and stumbled toward the bathroom. Standing before the mirror, her reflection revealed an unexpected revelation. Her neck and chest were adorned with unmistakable red marks, not reminiscent of insect bites.

"Dominic Peterson!" Rachel exclaimed, her cheeks aflame with embarrassment. "You called for your husband?" Dominic's voice resonated as he casually entered the bathroom. A glistening sheen of sweat adorned his sculpted face, his gray shirt clinging to his chest, evidence of his recent run.

"What did you do to me last night?" Rachel demanded, her arms defensively crossed over her chest.

Dominic raised an eyebrow, his gaze lingering on the hickeys that adorned her neck. "You're seriously asking me what I did to you? Shouldn't you be asking what you did to me? You initiated everything. You clung to me, touched my body, rubbed my—"

"Stop it!" Rachel interjected, her face flushed with mortification. She refused to believe his claims. With an expression of helplessness, Dominic walked away momentarily, returning with a crumpled shirt in hand.

"Here's the evidence," he declared, his tone mischievous. "My chest bears evidence of your actions as well. Care for a look?"

Rachel quickly averted her gaze, repelled by the prospect.

"No!" she protested vehemently. Her memory of the previous night remained hazy, consisting of fragmented flashes. Yet, she begrudgingly recalled her initiation in the car, and her mortification deepened.

She fervently wished for the ground to open beneath her and engulf her in oblivion.

"I didn't do anything, okay?" Dominic conceded, his voice gentle as he extended a cup to her. It contained honey water, soothing her parched throat and alleviating the remnants of her hangover.

Rachel had effectively disregarded Dominic, proceeding to prepare herself for the day. She chose a modest turtle-neck dress and hastened to her workplace. Dominic observed her actions with an amused smile, finding her reactions endearing.

Upon her arrival at the Porter Group, Rachel was summoned to the conference room, where Nikolas awaited her.

"We have reviewed all the designs you submitted for the autumn and winter series," Nikolas began, holding up a portfolio as his gaze drifted over the table toward Rachel. "We have unanimously decided to utilize Daley's designs."

Gratitude welled within Rachel as she acknowledged the honor bestowed upon her. "Thank you for this incredible opportunity," she expressed. "I am still relatively new here, and I am aware that I have much to learn. I am open to guidance and value any advice you offer."

Rachel had not anticipated securing such a significant project in such a short time, given her limited tenure at the company.

The decision to utilize her designs had not been unanimous, however, Alesha Turner, a colleague with more seniority, expressed her dissatisfaction in a hushed aside. "These designs are rather ordinary," Alesha murmured.

She had been anticipating her own designs to be chosen and felt slighted by the decision.

A friend chastised her, urging her to lower her voice, as Rachel was within earshot.

"Did I say anything inappropriate?" Alesha retorted defiantly.

Unperturbed by the murmurs, Rachel maintained her composure, focusing on her tasks at hand.

"Thank you for your support, Mr. Barrett," she addressed Nikolas, who was beaming with pride as he reviewed her portfolio. "I appreciate your trust in my work. If you ever have any questions or require further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out."

Nikolas responded with a grin, his admiration evident in his eyes as he looked at Rachel. "Your designs exude a cozy ambiance," he noted. "They possess a unique and memorable quality without overwhelming. I see great potential in you, but further refinement is necessary. Excel in your upcoming projects, and I will provide more opportunities for your growth."

Rachel, discomforted by his gaze, fidgeted slightly. She recognized the underlying implications in his words but chose to respond with a polite smile.

"Thank you, Mr. Barrett. I will strive to meet your expectations."

As the meeting concluded, Rachel couldn't help but sense the disapproval of her fellow designers, especially Alesha, who had been dissatisfied with the outcome.

Unbeknownst to Rachel, Alesha had been eavesdropping on a private conversation between her and Nikolas earlier, confirming her suspicions.

"It's no wonder Nikolas favors you," Alesha sneered inwardly

Chapter 25 – Confronting the Rumors

In the days that followed, Rachel took extra precautions to avoid encounters with Nikolas. She was determined to distance herself from any hint of impropriety, making every effort to ensure her professional reputation remained unblemished.

One morning, as she stood in line at the convenience store downstairs to purchase coffee, she couldn't help but overhear the hushed whispers of two women nearby. Their conversation sent a wave of discomfort washing over her.

"Isn't that the woman from the design department who's involved with Nikolas?"

"Yes, I believe so!"

Rachel's frown deepened, and she couldn't resist confronting them. "What are you two talking about?" she asked, her voice laced with irritation.

Caught off guard by her direct approach, the two women stammered, their faces reddening. "Oh, nothing, really. We must have mistaken you for someone else," they quickly replied, their embarrassment evident.

However, Rachel couldn't dismiss the unsettling feeling that lingered. She soon realized that rumors about her alleged involvement with Nikolas were circulating within the company. Colleagues who had once been cordial were now keeping their distance, and her reputation was taking a hit.

Suspecting Alesha, who had openly displayed hostility towards her, Rachel embarked on discreet investigations. Her observations confirmed her suspicions—Alesha was indeed the source of the malicious rumors.

Alesha had created a group chat with numerous colleagues from the company, using it as a platform to share fabricated stories about Rachel. Rachel couldn't allow these falsehoods to persist.

During one lunch break, as Rachel retrieved a soda from the tea room, she spotted Alesha nearby and hesitated momentarily before deciding to leave. Alesha, however, seized the opportunity to engage in malicious gossip with a colleague.

"I heard Daley went to a hotel with Mr. Barrett last night," Alesha whispered, her tone dripping with insinuation.

"Really? That can't be right. Mr. Barrett had a late-night meeting in the office. I don't understand why she would be interested in him anyway. He's quite arrogant," the colleague responded.

"Indeed, she doesn't really like him. It's probably just a ploy to gain favor with her immediate supervisor. Some women will do anything to climb the corporate ladder. I wouldn't be surprised if she was involved with a married man during college. I've heard stories about her 'reckless' college life. She doesn't seem to care about her reputation," Alesha continued, weaving a web of deceit.

Rachel returned to the tea room just in time to hear Alesha's slanderous remarks. Alesha, startled by her unexpected presence, stammered and flushed with embarrassment.

With a poised smile, Rachel approached Alesha. She picked up her phone, which was lying on the desk and hit the record off, and remarked, "You defamed me first. Let's see what Mr. Barrett has to say about this."

Alesha's face paled, realizing that her private conversation had been recorded without her knowledge. Panic consumed her as Rachel played and increased the recording's volume, ensuring everyone in the tea room could hear it clearly.

In the recording, Alesha's voice emanated with malice and deceit, revealing her role in spreading the false rumors. The room fell into stunned silence as they listened.

Alesha, unable to escape the consequences of her actions, could only watch in despair as Rachel exposed her treacherous behavior.

"What? I never did any of the things you described here. But you've described them in such vivid detail. How about we confront Mr. Barrett together?" Rachel taunted, exposing Alesha's deceit.

Alesha, realizing the gravity of her predicament, branded Rachel as a lunatic and attempted to seize the phone. However, Rachel skillfully evaded her grasp.

In front of their colleagues, Rachel demonstrated her resolve. She straightened her posture and addressed Alesha, "You defamed me, and I have evidence to prove it. I am going to speak with Mr. Barrett right now. We can address this matter in his presence."

With that declaration, Rachel departed from the tea room and proceeded to the director's office. She knocked politely on the door and announced her presence.

"Mr. Barrett, it's Daley."

Nikolas, excited as Rachel had come to him, greeted her with a lecherous grin. "Come in. What's on your mind?"

Rachel entered the office, and her tone was composed and collected. "Mr. Barrett, could you join me outside, please? There's an urgent matter that requires your attention."

Nikolas, curious about the sudden development, obliged and followed Rachel outside. He discovered a group of employees gathered there, including Alesha, who appeared nervous and apprehensive.

Perplexed, Nikolas inquired, "What's going on?"

Rachel calmly explained, "Mr. Barrett, someone within the company has been spreading rumors about us having an affair, even going so far as to claim that we visited a hotel together last night."

Nikolas's expression darkened as he listened to Rachel. The rumor threatened his reputation and jeopardized his attempts to woo her.

In an effort to salvage the situation, he feigned incredulity, scoffing at the absurdity of the claims. "Everything mentioned in the recording is entirely baseless. I had a late-night meeting that lasted until midnight. If you doubt my words, you can verify with my wife. Daley and I share a professional relationship solely concerning work matters."

The crowd reacted with murmurs, reassured by Nikolas's dismissal of the rumors. It became apparent that the allegations held no merit.

Nikolas, however, could not hide his frustration. He cast a pointed glance at Alesha and issued a stern warning. "If I hear any further rumors of this nature circulating within the company, I will report it to senior management."

Alesha, her face drained of color, realized the gravity of her actions. Her reckless attempt to tarnish Rachel's reputation had backfired, leading to her own downfall.

Chapter 26 – Uncomfortable Dinner

The following day, as Rachel arrived at the office, a colleague sitting across from her leaned in and whispered with a sly wink, "Did you hear the news? Alesha got demoted and transferred to a less significant department."

Rachel tilted her head slightly in curiosity and inquired, "Was it Mr. Barrett's decision?"

"Absolutely," the colleague affirmed. "You can't spread rumors about your superior and expect to get away with it. Frankly, I think Mr. Barrett showed her mercy by not firing her. However, I doubt Alesha will remain with the Porter Group for much longer."

Rachel couldn't help but offer a faint smile. It appeared that her actions had consequences, and Alesha's reputation had taken a significant hit.

"Daley, you did well," another colleague chimed in, patting her on the shoulder. "Alesha wasn't the easiest person to work with. She was always causing trouble and trying to undermine her colleagues. With her gone, I believe our department will be much more peaceful."

A warm, appreciative smile graced Rachel's lips as she acknowledged their support.

In the aftermath of the incident, Nikolas had ceased his inappropriate advances towards Rachel, and she felt a sense of relief. However, she couldn't help but wonder why he had invited her to a dinner that evening.

It was the eve of a Saturday, and Rachel had planned to buy some fruits and visit her friend Norma after work. Norma's condition had stabilized since her transfer to another hospital, and Rachel was eager to see her.

As Rachel powered down her computer, Nikolas called her from behind. "Daley, don't rush to leave. Gather your belongings; we're going out for dinner, and it will be considered overtime. The company will provide additional compensation."

Rachel's suspicions grew as she considered the dinner invitation. "Mr. Barrett, what kind of dinner is it? Will anyone else be joining us?"

Nikolas casually glanced around and replied, "Everyone has already left the office. You're the only one here. I can't ask anyone else to join us at this hour, can I? We have an opportunity to secure a new client and design custom products for their brand this year. Let's see if we can make it happen tonight."

Rachel surveyed her now-deserted workspace and reasoned that she had stayed late to complete an extra design draft. However, she couldn't help but wonder why Nikolas had specifically chosen her to attend the dinner. She was a relatively new employee and didn't possess the experience to engage in business discussions, not to mention her aversion to alcohol.

"Mr. Barrett," she began hesitantly, "why not invite someone more experienced for this dinner? I have important work to attend to tonight."

Nikolas swiftly grasped her wrist and maintained an intense gaze. "Don't be so obstinate," he admonished. "You're just beginning your career, and your resources are limited. This is an opportunity to connect with influential figures in the fashion industry. Don't squander it for trivial reasons."

Rachel managed to free her hand from Nikolas's grip and reiterated, "I truly do have pressing work to complete."

Frustrated, Nikolas raised his hand, seemingly intent on dragging her with him. In that moment, someone else intervened, firmly gripping Rachel's wrist.

"Mr. Barrett, we're in the 21st century. It's not appropriate to force your subordinate into anything against their will," Markus interjected calmly, though his eyes displayed his displeasure.

Nikolas's countenance shifted, his irritation evident, yet he did not dare escalate the situation with Markus present. "This is none of your business. Stay out of it," he retorted before shifting his attention back to Rachel.

Rachel, unwilling to escalate the situation further and mindful of Markus's position, decided to comply. "Mac, don't worry about me. I'll be fine," she reassured him with a smile.

Markus observed the tense interaction, his gaze unwavering, and issued a stern message through his silence—any further encroachment on Rachel would not be tolerated.

With the matter seemingly settled, Nikolas seized the opportunity to lead Rachel away, leaving Markus behind.

Their destination was a five-star hotel where they entered a private room. To Rachel's surprise, she discovered that the people Nikolas had arranged to meet were not potential clients but rather a group of his friends.

The room was adorned with a lavish spread of sushi, sashimi, and a flagon of wine at its center. Seated around the large round table were men dressed in eccentric fashion, each of them with a glass of wine in one hand and a woman in the other. The women were heavily made up and donned revealing attire, bearing the unmistakable appearance of working girls.

Rachel took her place among Nikolas's friends and their companions. She couldn't help but notice the inquisitive and suggestive gazes cast her way, as though welcoming her to their unconventional gathering.

Men and women at the table engaged in inappropriate behavior, fondling and whispering provocations to one another. The room resonated with low moans and suppressed laughter, setting an uncomfortable atmosphere filled with drunken lust.

Rachel felt increasingly uneasy, like a fish out of water, as she observed the scene around her.

"Why are you so uptight?" Nikolas's cheeks were flushed from the alcohol, and his gaze lingered on Rachel with a lecherous intent. He reached out to touch her thigh.

Startled and frightened, Rachel abruptly stood up and, without hesitation, poured wine onto Nikolas's face. "You're nothing but a lecher! Don't touch me!" she rebuked him.

The room filled with laughter at Rachel's bold act, and Nikolas's friends teased him. "Nikolas, it seems the girl you brought is quite fiery. You might need to teach her a lesson tonight to keep her in line."

Amid the jeering, some of Nikolas's friends gathered their lady companions and retreated to separate rooms for the next part of their revelry.

Nikolas, too intoxicated to be angry with Rachel's actions, chuckled and commented, "What's the matter? Why so prudish? There's no harm in me touching you. You're not worth much more than those women who engage in transactional relationships, unless, of course, you're still a virgin. Are you? If you let me be your first, I'll be willing to pay you handsomely. What do you say? It's a tempting offer, isn't it?"

Chapter 27 – Unexpected Savior

Nikolas's actions and words grew increasingly indecent, and Rachel found herself wishing she could take off her shoes and use them to defend herself against his advances. She knew she was in great danger, and her top priority was to escape this situation.

Summoning all her strength, Rachel forced a smile and said, "Excuse me, Mr. Barrett. I've had too much water. I need to use the restroom. I'll be back in a moment."

Nikolas, in his intoxicated state, responded with a nod, his intentions far from noble. "Sure, don't take too long. I'm looking forward to your return," he lecherously commented, reaching out to touch her.

Rachel pushed him away, grabbed her purse, and hurriedly left the room. She rushed to the elevator, her only thought being to put as much distance as possible between her and Nikolas.

At this point, she didn't care about the potential consequences at work. Her safety was paramount, and she regretted ever agreeing to join Nikolas for this dinner.

After what felt like an agonizing wait, the elevator doors finally opened. Just as she was about to step inside, she felt a hand grab her from behind.

Nikolas's voice, thick with alcohol, intruded on her, "Let's go to the bathroom together, and then we can have some fun in one of the stalls. How does that sound?"

Terrified, Rachel tried to break free from his grasp, but Nikolas's strength overwhelmed her. She could feel her heart racing as she grappled with the realization that she was trapped.

Nikolas, maintaining his hold on her, proceeded to drag her toward an empty room nearby. Rachel continued to resist, screaming and shouting for help as loudly as her voice would allow.

Desperation and fear filled her, and she couldn't help but hope that someone would come to her rescue.

Just as she was about to lose all hope, she caught sight of a waiter pushing a dining cart down the corridor. Rachel cried out, "Help! Help! He's trying to rape me! Please help me! Call the police! Please!"

The waiter paused momentarily, glancing in her direction, but his response was cold and uncaring. He resumed his journey, seemingly oblivious to her pleas, disappearing around a corner.

Rachel's cries grew hoarse as she realized that no one was coming to her aid. She couldn't believe that in a crowded, upscale hotel, no one was willing to intervene in her time of need.

Nikolas, seizing the opportunity, sneered, "Shut up already. These people won't interfere, even if they see everything. They've witnessed such scenes countless times before. So, be a good girl and do as I say. Maybe I'll be lenient with you later."

Rachel was gripped by despair until she heard a door creak open and witnessed a fierce man, tall and imposing, standing over Nikolas.

This man wasted no time and swiftly delivered a powerful blow to Nikolas's face, sending him sprawling to the floor.

Nikolas was left in shock, his face stinging from the impact. Blood trickled from his nose, and he tasted the metallic tang of blood in his mouth. He could tell that he had lost a tooth.

"F***! How dare you hit me?!" Nikolas spat out the loose tooth and a mouthful of blood, his anger surging.

The room's atmosphere grew tense as the fierce man, who was now revealed as Dominic, confronted Nikolas, his eyes cold and filled with menace.

"Dominic!" Rachel cried out, rushing toward him as though she had found her savior.

Dominic met her halfway and positioned himself protectively in front of her. He took off his black cap and placed it on Rachel's head, then gently wiped away her tears with his thumbs. His voice was laced with anger as he muttered through gritted teeth, "Get out of here. Now."

Nikolas, seething with rage, attempted to launch another attack, but Dominic caught his fist and effortlessly twisted it, forcing Nikolas to the ground. Dominic's strength was overwhelming, and it was clear that Nikolas was no match for him.

Nikolas was subjected to a relentless beating, and when Dominic finally ceased his assault, Nikolas was in no condition to retaliate. His face was a battered mess, several teeth were missing, and he writhed in pain on the ground.

"Let go of me! Help! Someone, please help me! He's trying to kill me!" Nikolas wailed, his voice hoarse from his screams.

It was only after Nikolas's cries grew weak that Dominic straightened his clothes and stood up. But he wasn't finished yet. He delivered a swift kick to Nikolas's groin and issued a cold warning, "Do anything like this again, and I'll make sure you won't have the chance."

Nikolas crumpled in agony, clutching his injured groin. He could do nothing but whimper and roll on the floor, clearly subdued and terrified.

Dominic's gaze shifted to Rachel, and he sneered at Nikolas's futile attempts. "Is that clear enough for you?"

Rachel, still trembling with fear, watched as Dominic effectively neutralized the threat. She approached him, and he wrapped his arm around her shoulder protectively. Together, they left the room, leaving Nikolas battered and defeated.

Dominic led Rachel to the elevator, and she remained silent, her hands clenched together, still shaken by the ordeal. Her trembling breaths were a stark contrast to her usual composure.

Dominic, sensing her unease and distress, sought to comfort her by gently embracing her waist and pulling her close. His warm and protective gesture provided her with a sense of security.

"Don't be afraid," Dominic assured her. "I promise to protect you from that pervert from now on. Nothing will harm you."

Despite the traumatic experience, Rachel looked up at Dominic, her eyes filled with a mixture of emotions. With furrowed brows, she confessed, "I'm not upset because I almost got raped today. There's something else that's been bothering me."

Chapter 28 – An Unexpected Encounter

Rachel was somewhat dependent on him. Dominic had always given her a sense of security. Even today, he had stood up for her like a knight in shiny armor.

Thus, she rested assured about her safety as long as she stayed with him.

Something else was causing her to worry though. Her mind teemed with several unfavorable things that might happen. “Nikolas won’t let this slide. I’m sure I would be fired from my job. I had my heart in my mouth earlier. Due to the way you rained blows on him, I was afraid that he would be disabled or worse still, die. Do you know if any of that had happened, you would be sent to jail?”

“Don’t worry your pretty head over such things. None of it will ever happen. I won’t go to jail,” Dominic responded in a calm voice

The next second, his eyes darkened and he held her more tightly. “Besides, why are you afraid of Nikolas? He’s just a nobody who has a big mouth!”

“Uh-huh. I hear you. Anyway, why were you also in the hotel?”

Rachel’s mind drifted to the women she had seen in the private dining room a while ago. She couldn’t help but wonder if Dominic was also there to hook up with other women.

Insecurity set in and caused the gleam in her eyes to change suddenly.

Kristian was a philanderer. He changed women as if he was changing his underwear. Tonight, he had taken Dominic to such a messy place to have fun. It seemed like he wanted to introduce him to his bad ways.

“Nothing much. My boss just invited me to have dinner with him.”

“Oh,” Rachel muttered. Whenever people affixed the two words, ‘nothing much’ to their response there was a high chance that they had done the exact opposite. She began to worry again. She pursed her lips and buried her face in his chest silently.

As soon as they arrived at the apartment, Rachel rushed into the bathroom.

The disgusting smell of the cigarettes and alcohol was kicking up her gag reflex. It reminded her of Nikolas’s ugly face. She wanted to take a bath to get rid of all the traces of that disgusting man.

Immediately she turned on the shower, hot water flowed to her head and went down to her body. Her sight soon became blurry. The glass became misty. The mixed scent of her shower gel and the steam soothed her tensed nerves.

Rachel scrubbed her body as if she had fallen into a muddy ditch. When she was done, she began to look for clothes to wear. It suddenly occurred to her that she had rushed to the bathroom absentmindedly. She hadn’t brought anything to change into. Her original clothes were already wet.

Biting her lower lip hard, she gave herself a knock on the head. She felt too stupid at the moment.

She wrapped her body with a bath towel. It was so short that it barely covered her cleavage down to her thighs.

Out of frustration, she held her head and squatted on the floor. She couldn’t go out like this, nor could she ask Dominic to help her fetch her clothes. It would be so embarrassing. Her underwear was in the same drawer as the pajamas. She didn’t want a man to see her private clothes.

Rachel pressed her ear against the bathroom door and listened carefully. No sound came from outside. After listening carefully for a while, she slowly opened the door and poked her head out.

There was no one in the living room.

It seemed that Dominic was in his room.

With her heart beating fast, Rachel placed her hand on her bosom to prevent the towel from falling. She then walked out of the bathroom, intending to sneak back into her room.

She had calculated that she would make it to her bedroom without Dominic seeing her.

Unfortunately, she had only taken two steps on her tiptoes when the knob of Dominic’s bedroom door was suddenly turned. The door swung open in a trice.

Just as Dominic was about to walk out of the bedroom, Rachel, wearing nothing but a bath towel, came out of the bathroom and met his gaze.

The two looked at each other wordlessly for a moment. Dominic then slipped one hand into his trouser pocket, while the other hand was holding a mug.

Nobody spoke for what seemed like an eternity.

Dominic, truth be told, was stunned speechless. His Adam’s apple bobbed as he gulped excitedly.

He was much taller than Rachel, so he could clearly see her cleavage peeking from above the bath towel.

When Rachel realized what he was looking at, she blushed a bright red and tried to rush into her room, intending to pretend that nothing had happened.

But the corridor wasn’t that big. It only took Dominic two steps to grab her by the wrist and pull her into his arms from behind.

The woman’s skin was smooth and supple, subconsciously making him want to caress it.

“Honey, you shouldn’t dress like this and walk around,” He teased in a low voice, deliberately poking fun of her.

Rachel opened her mouth to say something, but soon found that she was at a loss for words.

“Wh-what are you talking about? I just forgot to bring my clothes into the bathroom. Let go of me!” Covering her chest with one hand, Rachel looked up at him stubbornly.

Dominic did the opposite and pulled her even closer to him. She could feel his breath on the back of her neck.

He took in her scent. She smelled like fresh body wash, similar to how her room smelled.

“Don’t worry. I won’t bite. Let me just walk with you, okay?” Dominic pinched her gently on the waist and asked, “Why are you shaking? Are you cold?”

Biting her lower lip, Rachel almost cried out when he pinched her. His behavior gave her goose bumps.

Dominic’s warm breath tickled the back of her ear.

She tightly clenched the bath towel that was wrapped around her.

Stammering, she realized she was still scared of Dominic. “It… It’s improper for a man to touch a woman like this. Just let me go, Dominic. Stop teasing me.”

“What’re you talking about? We’re married. It’s only right for us to be intimate like this.” With a serious look on his face, Dominic suddenly loosened his grip so that he could look Rachel up and down to see if there were any bruises on her body. “Are you really okay?”

Rachel blushed, thinking that he was ogling her. She held her arms over her chest protectively, blocking Dominic’s view of her cleavage. “I’m fine,” she said hurriedly. “Just let me go back to my room.”

She struggled, trying to squirm out of Dominic’s arms.

But if she kept struggling like this, her bath towel would definitely unravel and fall to the ground.

“We’ve kissed each other already. Why are you still so shy?” The corners of Dominic’s mouth twitched. He was flirting with her on purpose. Pinching her cheek, he suddenly grew serious. “I hope you’ve learned your lesson. You’re young and beautiful. Quite an easy target. I can’t guarantee I’ll be there to save you all the time.”

When Dominic came back, the image of Rachel crying silently kept replaying in his mind.

He frowned slightly, thinking that he shouldn’t have let that lecherous man off the hook so easily. He should’ve beaten him until he could never stand up again.

Her doe-like eyes widened and she nodded obediently. All of a sudden, she found herself smiling. She couldn’t help but feel flattered by his compliment about her beauty.

“Okay, okay. Can you let me go now?” Rachel’s pouted, albeit red-faced.

The bath towel was in a precarious position. She could feel it loosening around her body.

Dominic hesitated for a few seconds. His eyes were fixed on her blushed face and he stole a glance at her charming chest. He was, in a word, captivated by her.

His eyes clouded over and he couldn’t think straight. In a hoarse voice, he whispered, “Do you want me to come inside with you?”

Chapter 29: "Unveiling Deceit"

Rachel's scream pierced the air as she forcefully pushed Dominic away. "No! You scoundrel! Have you not heard a single word I've uttered?"

Without awaiting his response, Rachel fled into her room, slamming the door shut behind her.

Dominic, left in stunned silence, stood motionless, the bath towel slipping to the floor like an abandoned banner.

He had glimpsed something he was never meant to see.

Frustration coursed through him, manifesting as a fiery flush that seemed to engulf his entire being. Leaning against the wall, he clawed at his collar, as though it were an instrument of strangulation.

The following day, as Rachel headed to work, a queasy unease churned within her. She was acutely aware that Nikolas would not easily forgive what had transpired the previous night.

Upon reaching her desk and settling in, Nikolas stormed out of his office, thrusting a stack of documents onto her workspace. "You're terminated! Gather your belongings and leave this place immediately!"

Rachel picked up the documents and studied them; they were the design drafts she had submitted earlier. "Might I inquire as to the reason for my dismissal, Mr. Barrett?" she inquired with remarkable composure.

A Band-Aid still adorned the bridge of his nose, concealing the injury from last night. His eyes blazed with simmering anger, Rachel's words serving as a stark reminder of the humiliation he had endured. "You're inadequate for your current role!" he hissed venomously. "Pack your things and vacate the Porter Group. You're but a recent graduate. I'll ensure your professional demise in the fashion realm. As long as I remain in the industry, you shan't secure a job, let alone prosper."

"You previously endorsed my designs. Why assert my incompetence now?" Rachel retorted, clutching her design documents. Her resolute gaze bore into his, and she displayed no hint of fear.

Nikolas's tirade drew the attention of their colleagues.

Work ceased momentarily as all eyes turned toward the unfolding confrontation.

"Indeed, Mr. Barrett, we've commenced implementing Daley's design scheme following your approval," one of Rachel's coworkers chimed in.

Rachel held a strong rapport with her colleagues, who held her in high regard.

"Could there be a misunderstanding, Mr. Barrett? We've all witnessed Daley's exceptional talents. She's dynamic and diligent," another colleague interjected.

Nikolas's face darkened as he witnessed his colleagues rallying behind Rachel. He cleared his throat and declared, "No misunderstanding exists. The design plan has changed. She's terminated! I'll select an alternative design from the submissions. No further inquiries! I hold the director's prerogative. If I deem her inadequate, she is."

A hushed silence fell upon the surrounding coworkers, who exchanged sympathetic glances with Rachel.

By now, everyone surmised that Rachel had provoked Nikolas in some manner, likely accounting for her dismissal. Nikolas had rendered his verdict, and being a revered senior designer, his decisions were beyond dispute or contention.

With a heavy sigh, Rachel recognized that this was the culmination she had anticipated, given the events of the prior evening. She gritted her teeth and organized her designs, preparing to pack her belongings, her heart weighed down by the knowledge that her association with the Porter Group had terminated.

"Wait!" resonated an authoritative male voice.

Rachel raised her eyes to discover Kristian's imposing figure.

He directed a piercing look at Rachel before advancing toward Nikolas. "Barrett, an official complaint has been filed, alleging that you sexually harassed a female colleague within the company, with an attempted assault."

The design department erupted into an uproar, and all eyes swiveled toward Nikolas, appraising him with scrutiny.

"What? Mr. Higgins, I would never engage in such behavior. Someone must be maliciously smearing my name to tarnish my reputation," Nikolas countered vehemently, shaking his head vigorously.

At that moment, Markus entered the design department. His gaze, filled with contempt, fixed upon Nikolas. "You claim innocence?" he seethed at Nikolas. "Yesterday, I witnessed you forcibly escort Miss Daley to a dinner gathering, where you threatened her job security."

Nikolas's posture stiffened. "These are unfounded accusations!" he retorted icily. "I thought Daley displayed promise, so I proposed taking her to a designer event last night. My intent was to introduce her to fellow designers and provide assistance. I had no intention of any harassment."

Rachel clenched her fists, her eyes locked on the man who had the audacity to lie about the events of last night.

"Let's review the evidence first. Only then shall we ascertain the truth," Kristian declared, a sly smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. His assistant promptly opened a laptop, revealing a video footage.

The scene depicted a hotel corridor, the elevator doors parting to reveal Rachel's intent to board, only to be forcibly pulled back by Nikolas. Disarrayed hair and a look of sheer panic adorned her countenance as she struggled against Nikolas's relentless attempts to drag her into a room.

"Is this your idea of assisting an employee?" Kristian jeered, his face contorted with anger.

Chapter 30 – Complicated Desires

The video evidence had left no room for doubt, firmly establishing Nikolas's guilt in the assault and attempted rape of Rachel. As he watched the damning footage, Nikolas realized that his position within the Porter Group was irreparably damaged. The shock and humiliation overwhelmed him, and he sank into a chair, his legs trembling beneath him.

Kristian wasted no time in taking action. He signaled his assistant to remove the laptop, their objective achieved. "The evidence says it all. Nikolas Barrett, you are fired from the Porter Group on account of molesting a fellow employee," Kristian announced with a tone of finality.

Nikolas's resentful gaze landed on Rachel, seething with anger and plotting his revenge. But his threats were empty, for a group of police officers promptly arrived to escort him away, ensuring that justice would be served.

Markus approached Rachel, expressing his remorse. "I'm sorry, Rachel. I should never have allowed Nikolas to take you away yesterday. Did he hurt you?"

Rachel shook her head, offering him a reassuring smile. She placed her design works on the table as she responded, "It's not your fault, Mac. I told you not to get involved in the issue yesterday. I thought it was just a casual dinner with clients. How foolish I was. Fortunately, someone saved me in time yesterday, so nothing happened."

Markus sighed with relief, grateful that Rachel had come to no harm. He expressed his relief that she would not have to leave the Porter Group under these circumstances. However, he couldn't help but lament the missed opportunity to be her hero.

In the wake of Nikolas's departure, the vacant position of Department Director needed to be filled. Kristian convened a meeting with senior executives and ultimately appointed Stephanie Miller, a renowned fashion designer from another department, to take on Nikolas's responsibilities.

Upon returning home from work, Rachel was relieved to spot Dominic jogging within their community. She eagerly waved at him, anxious to discuss recent events.

Dominic slowed his pace, eventually coming to a stop as Rachel approached him. Her warm smile made her intentions clear. "Is it you who filed a report against Nikolas?"

Dominic confirmed her suspicions with a simple "Yes." He took her laptop bag and began walking toward their apartment, eager to share more details with her. "I got some capable friends to help me obtain the footage from the hotel."

Rachel was genuinely impressed by Dominic's resourcefulness. "Wow! You really know a lot of people."

Dominic's actions had provided her with a newfound sense of security, reinforcing her trust in him.

As they entered their apartment, Dominic dropped the keys on the table and continued the conversation. "Thank you for helping me. You have no idea how shameless and persuasive he was. He denied the fact even when Mr. Higgins was there."

Dominic's actions had been instrumental in bringing Nikolas to justice, and Rachel was grateful for his support.

Dominic, however, didn't seem content with just her verbal gratitude. He playfully teased her, prompting Rachel to offer something more tangible. "What else do you want me to do? How about I cook a hearty meal for you tonight?"

Dominic appeared unimpressed, challenging her further. "You think it's that easy to satisfy me?"

Rachel, determined to express her gratitude, wondered what else she could offer. "What do you want, then?"

Dominic's gaze intensified as it settled on her lips, his voice growing huskier. "Why don't you fulfill your duty as a wife by making love to me?"

Rachel blushed fiercely, turning away in embarrassment. "Be serious!"

Dominic persisted, his desire apparent in his eyes. "At the very least, kiss me."

Rachel, feeling a mixture of embarrassment and curiosity, hesitated briefly before leaning in to give him a gentle kiss. The innocent gesture was enough to ignite Dominic's passion, and he swiftly lifted her into his arms and placed her on the sofa.

Their kiss deepened, growing increasingly fervent. As their desires intensified, Dominic's longing for her became more evident. Rachel, overwhelmed by the intensity of the moment, suddenly pushed him away, her breathing ragged.

"No, Dominic," she gasped, her voice trembling with restraint.

Dominic, however, was not ready to relinquish his desires. He continued to kiss her neck and collarbone, his lips leaving a trail of heated kisses. Sensing Rachel's hesitation, he whispered in her ear, "Don't you want it? Or is there another reason? Are you afraid I won't be nice to you if we become a real couple?"

Rachel's thoughts were in turmoil as she felt his lips on her skin, and her heart raced uncontrollably. Despite her longing, she mustered the strength to pull back and avert her gaze. "No, Dominic."

She couldn't allow herself to give in to her desires. Their marriage was built on a foundation of deception, and she couldn't bear the guilt of further betraying him.

Chapter 31: "A Delicate Dance of Desires"

Title: "The Temptation Unleashed"

In the midst of an opulent soirée, Natalie, disguised as Ivonne, and Dominic found themselves in a precarious embrace, their emotions swirling in a complex dance.

Dominic's demeanor turned icy as he scrutinized Rachel, a hint of suspicion in his gaze. "Have you engaged in intimate relations with your former lovers?"

Rachel clung to the cushion, her body language betraying her unease as she subconsciously shook her head. But then it struck her: she was in her Ivonne persona, known for her history of fleeting romances. How could Ivonne still maintain her innocence?

Panic coursed through her veins, and the danger of remaining in Dominic's presence became all too clear.

"I have a looming deadline to meet. My designs require immediate submission," Rachel stammered, pushing Dominic away. Heat radiated from her body, as if she were feverish.

Dominic, too, was aflame. His scent mixed with a faint hint of mint, rendering Rachel flushed and flustered. "Let me hold you a while longer, without any coercion," he grumbled, wrapping his arms around her. He puzzled over Rachel's insistence on working late into the night. Was her client truly so exigent? Even though he was the client, the thought didn't sit well with him. The tightness of his embrace sent warmth coursing through Rachel's core, diverting her thoughts southward.

Desperate to extricate herself, she pushed Dominic away, her body aflame with desire. "No more, Dominic. I must work."

Dominic rested his head on her shoulder, planting a trail of kisses along her neck, making Rachel tremble under his touch. He whispered into her ear, "Don't you desire this? Or is there another reason? Are you afraid I won't treat you kindly in a genuine relationship?"

Rachel's thoughts were in disarray, his kisses driving her to distraction. If this continued, they might succumb to their passions.

Summoning her resolve, she pulled back, averting her gaze. "No, Dominic."

But Dominic wasn't ready to release her. He pressed his mouth to her ear, his warm breath sending shivers down her spine. "Why not? Explain."

"I'm not ready," she said, covering her flushed face with a pillow.

Moreover, she had married Dominic under Ivonne's guise, a deceit she couldn't forgive herself for perpetuating.

After all, Rachel didn't know what the future held for her and Dominic.

Dominic's body stiffened as he eyed her closely. "Have you not been intimate with your previous partners?"

Rachel clutched the cushion, unconsciously shaking her head. Then realization struck: she was Ivonne tonight, known for her rapid succession of relationships. How could Ivonne still be a virgin?

Panic surged within her. Remaining with Dominic seemed perilous.

"I have a looming deadline," Rachel exclaimed. "I must submit my designs posthaste. Release me. I must return to my quarters." Her body radiated heat, as if she were feverish.

Dominic, too, was aflame. The mingling scents of his sweat and a hint of mint left Rachel blushing. "Allow me to embrace you a little longer, without compulsion," he grumbled, frowning unhappily as he enveloped her. Puzzling over Rachel's late-night work, he couldn't help but wonder, 'Is her client truly that significant?' Despite being the client himself, it left a bitter taste in his mouth. The intensity of his grip sent a surge of heat southward through Rachel's body. She pushed Dominic away, hastily smoothing her dress. "No. I must work."

Observing her rush back to her room in a frenzy, Dominic sighed helplessly, reclining on the sofa.

In her room, Rachel clutched her pencil for nearly an hour, struggling to find her focus. She replayed the scorching kiss with Dominic in her mind, unable to calm her racing thoughts.

'Get a hold of yourself, Rachel!' she admonished silently, squeezing her eyes shut and blushing anew.

Unable to concentrate on her designs, she turned on her laptop to contact her affluent client, whom she dubbed "Rich Party A."

"Sir, I experienced severe stomach pains today and had to visit the hospital. Could you kindly extend my deadline by one day?" she messaged, adding a crying emoji for emphasis.

Rich Party A responded promptly: "You need not continue working on the design."

Thinking her client was displeased, Rachel hurriedly messaged back. "I will complete the design. I promise. I've brought my laptop to the hospital. You need not grant me an extra day. I will finish it today, I assure you."

Rich Party A's reply brought her immense relief. "There's no need for that. Do not worry. You will still receive payment."

Overjoyed, Rachel clapped her hands, gratitude swelling within her heart. She quickly typed, "I am moved and grateful. You are the best client in the world!"

Dominic powered down his phone and made his way to the bathroom, clutching his clothes. A small smile played on his lips as he recalled the living room encounter.

Friday had arrived, with sweltering, humid weather blanketing the city. It felt as though the entire metropolis had been set ablaze. Beads of sweat adorned everyone's brow, and the scent of sunscreen hung in the air.

After work, Rachel boarded the bus, gazing out the window as she listened to music and watched the urban landscape whiz past. Suddenly, her ringtone pierced the music's serenity.

Glancing at her phone, she noted a call from the hospital, her heart racing.

"Hello, Miss Daley. We are calling from the municipal hospital. Norma Stone now holds the top spot on the liver transplant waiting list. Please arrange the operation expenses promptly. We can proceed as soon as a suitable liver becomes available."

It was the most uplifting news she had received in a long while. Rachel wanted to shout with joy.

"Of course, I will. Thank you so much!" Rachel gushed before hanging up, her relief palpable.

Last edited:
Chapter 32: "The Tensions Unveiled"

Rachel had been anxiously awaiting the long-anticipated transplant for Norma. It was an eventuality that was finally taking shape, and Rachel offered her prayers for a successful match and a healthier Norma.

The only remaining piece of the puzzle was the financial aspect. Kate was indebted to Rachel, a considerable debt incurred from marrying Dominic in her daughter's stead. The following day, Rachel found herself at the Daley family's grand estate once more. The determined maid stood as a fortress at the door, warding off Rachel's intrusion.

"What on earth do you think you're doing? Should I summon the authorities to address your trespassing?" The maid's voice carried both sternness and urgency.

"I've come to see Kate. Let me in!" Rachel demanded, her resolve unwavering as she attempted to breach the threshold.

"They haven't returned yet! Leave immediately, or I shall have the police involved!" The maid stood resolute, her loyalty to her employers unwavering.

With a sly smirk, Rachel pointed to an upstairs window. "Do you take me for a fool? I saw her through the window, walking about inside."

Kate's deception, now so blatantly exposed, seemed to suggest she underestimated Rachel's discernment, or perhaps she believed Rachel to be an easy mark.

Laughter and muffled voices emanated from within the house, voices belonging to Kate and George. The maid, guilt evident in her eyes, made one last attempt to shut the door. "They are not here. Is your hearing intact? Leave now, or I will summon security to forcibly remove you."

Rachel, undeterred, stationed herself by the door, her heart heavy with disappointment. It appeared Kate no longer felt the need to maintain pretenses or provide recompense, now that Rachel was wed to Dominic and her plan had succeeded.

"No," Rachel asserted, her determination evident. "I will wait right here. Inform them that if they don't provide me with the money today, I will inform Dominic of Kate's scheme to have me marry him as a substitute for her daughter, Ivonne. This marriage was a charade; Dominic was meant to marry Ivonne from the outset. If he discovers the truth, Kate won't escape his wrath for deceiving him. If I cannot secure the money, I will ensure that she does not lead a peaceful life either."

Recognizing the seriousness in Rachel's tone, the maid retreated into the house and conveyed Rachel's ultimatum to Kate.

"Did she truly say that?" Kate, engrossed in a plate of strawberries, was taken aback, her gentle countenance now flush with indignation.

She glanced at George, her companion, and implored, "Rachel has crossed a line. How could she speak to her parents in such a manner? After all, we adopted her. While our relationship may not be close, I had hoped for a modicum of gratitude for the years we have provided for her. Remember what I said back then? Your parents insisted on our adoption. It was unnecessary, wasn't it? Look at the trouble it has brought us. Now she's blackmailing us. What do you suggest we do?"

Kate's deep-seated resentment towards Rachel was fueled by memories of their shared past. She reached for a tissue, wiping away tears.

Seeing Kate's distress, Joseph sighed in resignation. "Rachel only seeks money. How about we give her some to placate her? We do have the means."

Kate wiped her tears away with the back of her hand, her jade bracelet emitting a faint jingle. She looked at Joseph, reluctant but finally nodding.

The idea of parting with even a penny rankled Kate. The thought of offering Rachel money was a bitter pill to swallow. With her phone in hand, Kate descended the staircase, a resentful call to Rachel on her lips.

"Rachel! You have crossed a line this time. Are you willing to sever ties with your family over money? We have cared for you all these years. How can you become such a selfish woman? Are you truly prepared to push your parents to this extreme?"

Kate's words served as a release for the pent-up bitterness she had harbored over the years.

Rachel, long immune to Kate's animosity and mistreatment, remained unyielding. "Where is the money?" she responded coldly. "If you don't provide it, I will promptly reveal the truth to Dominic."

Kate's anger reached its zenith. Struggling to maintain her composure, she responded, "We've done our best to gather the funds for you. I do not possess the money. Later, I will instruct the maid to offer you some items. You can use them to cover your expenses."

Rachel, standing at the Daley estate's entrance, watched as the maid emerged with several bags and tossed them in her direction.

"Take these and leave!" The villa's door slammed shut.

Crouched on the ground, Rachel rifled through the bags, discovering outdated jewelry, used luxury clothing, and second-hand handbags within.

"Is this your idea of charity? A collection of cast-offs?" A wry smile played across Rachel's lips. Kate, unwilling to part with money, had chosen to demean her by treating her as a pauper. Rachel gathered the bags, her pace measured as she exited the villa.

This was not the first instance of Kate's humiliation. These second-hand items, however, could be sold for some much-needed cash. It was better than leaving the estate empty-handed.

Nonetheless, the funds acquired from the sale would likely fall far short of covering even a fifth of the liver transplant costs for Norma.

Chapter 33: "A Trio of Tensions"

Rachel contemplated her paycheck with a furrowed brow, the sum falling far short of Norma's impending surgery expenses. She looked glum despite the freshly deposited salary.

"Why the long face, Rachel?" inquired her colleague, noticing her distress. A sense of unease emanated from her expression. "Care to join me for a barbecue tonight?"

Rachel shook her head, offering a polite smile. "Perhaps another time. I've already got plans for this evening."

"Alright then, see you tomorrow," her colleague responded, gathering her belongings and heading for the exit.

As Rachel methodically shut down her laptop, a hand suddenly landed on her shoulder.

It was Markus sporting a crisp brown windbreaker, his demeanor as immaculate as ever. His smile was infectious, and his eyes sparkled with delight.

"Ready to head out? How about I walk you to the bus stop? Something bothering you? Work-related issues, perhaps?" he inquired.

Clutching her backpack straps, Rachel smiled back. "No, nothing work-related. Just lost in thought. By the way, Mac, are you free tonight? I was thinking of treating you to dinner as a token of my gratitude for your help the other day."

Financially, Rachel knew she couldn't afford Norma's surgery even with her paycheck, so a dinner outing felt like a manageable way to repay Markus.

"Absolutely," Markus responded, surprised and flattered by the offer. "I came across a new Western restaurant I'd like to try."

He pressed the elevator button, studying Rachel's face as the doors closed. An unspoken question loomed in his mind, a curiosity that had been gnawing at him since he had seen Rachel with Dominic.

Was that man her boyfriend? Markus couldn't help but wonder, even though he couldn't imagine someone like Dominic as Rachel's partner.

"He doesn't seem like her type," Markus thought to himself.

Before Rachel could answer, her phone rang, interrupting their conversation.

"Sorry, I have to take this call," Rachel said, hastily exiting the elevator and making her way to the restroom. She spoke softly into her phone, "What's going on?"

"When will you be back? I'm starving," came Dominic's voice from the other end. Rachel pictured him reclining on the sofa, a hint of irritation in his tone.

"I left some sandwiches in the fridge. Help yourself," Rachel replied.

After a moment's contemplation, Rachel decided she should inform Dominic about her dinner plans. "Actually, I'm taking Markus out for dinner to thank him for his help the other day. I might be a bit late."

There was a pause on the other end of the line. "Why repay him if you're not certain he helped you?" Dominic questioned, his voice cold.

Rachel bit her lip, torn between canceling her plans and keeping her word. "But I already invited him. It wouldn't be right to cancel now," she reasoned.

She could hear Dominic rustling his clothes before he spoke again. "I'll come with you. Which restaurant?"

After providing him with the restaurant's name, Rachel rejoined Markus. "Let's go."

As they walked a couple of blocks, they arrived at an elegant Western restaurant. Rachel hesitated as they approached the entrance.

"It seems we have an unexpected guest for dinner. I'm sorry, Mac," Rachel stammered.

Markus remained composed but immediately grasped the situation. "Is it a friend or a relative joining us?" he asked, attempting to sound nonchalant.

Just as Rachel was about to respond, she spotted Dominic standing outside the restaurant. The setting sun cast a golden halo around his tall figure, accentuating his features.

"Ah, he's here sooner than I expected."

Markus followed her gaze and saw a tall man in a vintage black jacket. He exuded an air of maturity and strength, yet carried an undeniable air of arrogance. His striking appearance left Markus feeling somewhat insecure.

"This is my husband, Dominic. You may remember me mentioning him on the phone," Rachel said awkwardly, approaching Dominic.

Markus's eyes widened, jaw dropping in disbelief. "What? When did you get married?"

He couldn't help but scrutinize Dominic, who was also sizing him up. Their mutual sense of pride was at stake.

Dominic had the rugged air of a seasoned man, a stark contrast to Markus's composed demeanor.

Rachel broke into a cold sweat, forcing a smile to hide her anxiety as Dominic's sharp gaze remained fixed on Markus. He did not appear pleased.

Dominic draped an arm around Rachel's shoulder, suppressing his anger. "Haven't you informed people that you're married and have a husband?" he asked in a low voice.

Rachel's head throbbed. Handling this situation gracefully proved challenging, especially considering she had married in Ivonne's place. If people discovered her marital status, their secret would be exposed.

She forced a polite chuckle, attempting to downplay the situation. "I just mentioned it to Mac a moment ago, didn't I?"

Dominic snorted but said no more.

The atmosphere among the trio grew icy as they entered the restaurant. After settling in, Markus excused himself to the restroom to collect his thoughts. The sudden revelation of Rachel's marriage had caught him off guard.

Throughout the meal, a deafening silence prevailed. Rachel and Markus made occasional attempts at conversation, but the atmosphere remained strained. Dominic, having finished his steak, reclined in his chair, emitting an aura of cold detachment.

Just then, Ivonne and her friends entered the restaurant.

"Look, Ivonne, over there! Isn't he a celebrity?" one of her friends exclaimed.

Ivonne followed the gaze and spotted Dominic seated at a table, radiating an undeniable magnetism.

"I recognize him," Ivonne mused, a sly smile crossing her lips. Her expression quickly soured as she noticed that Dominic was in the company of both Rachel and Markus.

Two handsome men and a beautiful woman seated together created an alluring spectacle, one that could not be ignored.

Chapter 34: "Debts and Deceptions"

Ivonne seethed with inner fury, her resolve unwavering.

Once, she had attempted to charm Markus, but he had rebuffed her advances without hesitation. Conversely, Rachel always appeared surrounded by admirers. She had Dominic, yet now she dared to entertain the affections of Markus.

Ivonne consoled herself, reasoning that Rachel was nothing more than a charlatan. Perhaps Markus had joined their company due to his connection with Dominic.

"Oh, really? Introduce us, please! Although, I presume the elegant woman beside him is his significant other."

"That beauty is but a facade. Without makeup, she's rather unremarkable. You, on the other hand, outshine her effortlessly. Anyway, I shall go over and greet them. You all can place your orders first." Without awaiting her friends' response, Ivonne gracefully made her way to Rachel's table.

Rachel had been exerting pressure on her parents, threatening to reveal her substitution secret to Dominic if they did not provide her with money. Yet here she was, dining at an upscale restaurant.

Today, Ivonne had resolved to unveil Rachel's deceit before both Dominic and Markus.

As Rachel and Markus pondered over suitable conversation topics, a potent fragrance wafted through the air.

"Dearest sister, you've pushed our parents to their limits. How could you indulge in such extravagance at a high-end eatery?"

Blinking her eyes pitifully, Ivonne materialized at their table, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Our family faces financial hardship, and our parents are drained dry. Why don't you consider the family's predicament and cease your extravagant spending? You relentlessly drain our parents' resources daily. You're a grown woman now, yet you continue to demand money from them. Sooner or later, the strain will drive them to despair!"

Though Ivonne's voice remained relatively subdued, it resonated clearly enough for the entire room to catch wind. As she continued to sob and lament, the restaurant's patrons cast curious glances toward their table.

The hall was soon abuzz with murmurs.

"What a scandal this is turning out to be!"

"Is this girl truly squandering her parents' wealth like this? What a leech! And those two men with her, are they her toys?"

"If I had a daughter like her, I'd have succumbed to rage long ago. She even has the audacity to juggle two relationships concurrently. Today's youth have no sense of shame!"

Dominic's striking visage darkened immediately.

Markus lowered his gaze, feeling uncomfortably trapped. The dinner had already begun awkwardly, and now he found himself unjustly maligned.

Rachel, on the other hand, calmly set down her utensils, her gaze unwavering as she regarded the heavily made-up Ivonne.

She recognized Ivonne's intention: to besmirch her reputation in the presence of these witnesses.

Yet she also understood Ivonne was a fool. Adorned in Chanel, Hermes, and Dior, Ivonne had no moral ground to speak of frugality.

"I sought money from you because you owe me a debt. Isn't it the natural course of action to repay one's debts?" Rachel's tone remained clear and composed.

Tears streamed uncontrollably down Ivonne's face as she cried, "Our parents have provided for you, and this is how you repay them! They genuinely cannot afford to give you more money. We're family; how can you be so heartless?"

Then, she suddenly took her necklace off and threw it at Natalie, crying even louder. “We really don’t have the money! This necklace must be worth something. Take it as a payment of our debt! Please don’t threaten Mom and Dad anymore!”

Cassie carefully painted herself as the poor daughter who had been forced to sell off her own things for the sake of her parents. Natalie, on the other hand, was made to look like the cold-blooded creditor who was ungrateful to her parents and was only after their money.

Narrowing her eyes slightly, Natalie took the necklace without hesitation. Glancing at Ivonne’s Hermes handbag, she said calmly, “I think that Chanel dress might be worth something… And that Hermes handbag, too—actually, isn’t that a limited edition piece? In that case, I won’t make things difficult for you. You don’t have to strip your clothes. Just give me the bag as partial compensation for your debts.”

Ivonne’s pitiful and painful expression immediately went stiff.

This was her only Hermes Birkin. She had been waiting to get one forever. It had only been a few days since she got it. Even if it was second-hand, it was still cost her a fortune. How could she just give it to Natalie?

“These… these are all fake! They’re useless to you. Anyway, you should stop coming to such fancy restaurants and save money for our parents!” As she spoke, Ivonne hurriedly covered her bag.

Rachel crossed her arms over her chest and looked around at the guests in the restaurant. “Do you think everyone here is an idiot? As you said, this is a high-end restaurant. Do you think that the people who can afford to eat here can’t tell whether a bag is real or fake? Even if you insist that you’re using the fake, I can still take it. After all, it’s still worth some money. Give it to me!”

Ivonne's panic was palpable. The gazes of the onlookers weighed heavily upon her, their opinions shifting.

The restaurant's clientele was affluent and discerning. Many recognized that Ivonne's attire and accessories were unmistakably authentic luxury items.

"Well, it appears she is the one lacking shame. All those branded items clearly indicate she hails from a prosperous family."

"I suspect she's falsely accusing that girl to evade her debt."

"This is an unexpected turn of events."

Regret gnawed at Ivonne's conscience. Her intention had been to publicly shame Rachel, banking on the presumption that Rachel would remain silent in this social setting.

She had never anticipated Rachel's audacious response, disregarding the crowd entirely.

Formerly a submissive, quiet member of their family, had marriage truly transformed Rachel?

Resigned and heartbroken, Ivonne reluctantly placed her Hermes Birkin on the table, retrieving her wallet, phone, and cosmetics before tossing it at Rachel. "Satisfied now?"

"Wait, I'd like to inspect the contents of your wallet." Rachel's sardonic smile persisted, aware that Ivonne often carried a substantial amount of cash.

"Don't push your luck!" Ivonne hissed through clenched teeth, her eyes glaring daggers at Rachel.

Rachel's indifference deepened as she sneered, "What's the matter? You claimed to be destitute, didn't you? I'm allowing you to settle your debt with your possessions. It's only fair. Besides, there should be no money in your wallet, right? You've been lamenting your family's financial woes all night. Why so apprehensive? Next time you wish to slander me, don't flaunt such finery. It's one thing to be unable to repay your debts, but outright refusal will tarnish your credit."

The surrounding guests began to reconsider their stance, sensing there was more to the story than met the eye.

The opulent restaurant's patrons were astute; many could discern that Ivonne's attire and accessories were unquestionably authentic luxury items.

"Seems like she's the one without shame. Decked out in luxury brands, I'm certain she hails from a well-to-do family."

"She must be trying to evade paying her debt by making false accusations."

"Unexpected turn of events, indeed."

Ivonne felt a pang of remorse. Her plan had backfired spectacularly. She had hoped to expose Rachel's deceit, banking on the belief that Rachel would remain passive in this public setting.

“Give it to me.” With a faint smile, Rachel stood up and took out the money from Ivonne’s wallet. She carefully counted the bills and neatly arranged them. “Eight thousand dollars is also money. Thank you, Miss Quinn.”

Ivonne had nothing left now apart from her clothes and shoes. “Just wait and see!” she said through gritted teeth.

Chapter 35: "A Stolen Moment of Intimacy"

Rachel's lips curled into a discreet smile as she carefully placed the necklace and the bundle of money inside her Hermes Birkin. "Very well, Miss Daley. I shall await your debt repayment in due time."

With that, she gracefully rose from her seat, a subtle wave to the receptionist signaled her request for a doggie bag, one that Ivonne would need to store her phone and cosmetics. Then, she turned to Ivonne with a warm smile. "Consider the bag my treat."

Biting her lip, Ivonne struggled to maintain composure. She could hardly stand the situation any longer.

Noticing Rachel's gaze drifting to her Chanel high-heeled shoes, Ivonne half-feared they might be seized and she would be left to walk home barefoot. Quick to avoid such humiliation, she hastily retrieved her belongings from her bag and departed the restaurant in a sulk.

Meanwhile, Rachel reclaimed her seat, beginning to assess the value of the items she had taken from Ivonne. The Hermes Birkin alone was worth a small fortune.

A triumphant grin played upon her lips as she counted her gains.

She tidied away her spoils, her gaze lifting to meet Markus's wide-eyed stare as he clutched knife and fork.

Rachel flushed with embarrassment, her smile turning apologetic. This wasn't the image she had hoped to convey to Markus, but she wasn't one to be trifled with.

"Every family has its secrets, Mac. I apologize for subjecting you to that. Our family is, let's say, unique," she remarked, her smile regaining its usual charm.

"No, I understand you're a strong person. When someone rubs you the wrong way, you stand up for yourself. There's nothing wrong with that," Markus replied, admiration in his eyes.

Rachel had once again left an impression on Markus. Despite her delicate exterior, he had assumed she'd endure hardships in silence, but she was far from it. Sweet as a rose, she possessed thorns of resilience.

However, her sentiments didn't extend to Dominic, who had remained silent throughout the ordeal. Markus couldn't help but wonder about the nature of their relationship.

Not dwelling on Markus's speculations, Rachel shifted her focus back to her newfound wealth. In the grand scheme of things, her image could wait.

A sidelong glance at Dominic revealed his indifferent demeanor, both choosing silence.

Rachel cleared her throat, continuing to enjoy her steak.

Markus bade the couple farewell and left the restaurant alone.

In the late hours of the night, neon lights illuminated the city streets, creating a vibrant tapestry. Traffic buzzed with life.

Rachel contemplated aloud, "Would you like to walk home?"

The idea of walking home with Dominic, just an ordinary couple with no names or identities, had a certain appeal.

Dominic finally broke his silence. "Alright," he agreed, his gaze meeting hers.

Confused by the incident at the restaurant and her sister's opulent display, Dominic sought clarification. "What's going on with your family? Why does the Daley family owe you money?"

"It's a family matter, nothing major. My parents owe me money, but after our falling out, they've refused to repay it. I can handle it; no need for you to get involved," Rachel replied casually, conveniently omitting crucial details.

Dominic sighed, respecting her decision despite his limited knowledge of the Daley family. "Alright, but if you ever need help, don't hesitate to ask."

Rachel nodded meekly, her voice barely audible. "Okay."

Dominic playfully pinched her cheek and issued a warning. "And from now on, tell others that you're married."

Rachel retorted, "Do you want me to wear a sign that says 'married'?" She raised her eyebrows and pouted like a spoiled child.

"It's for your own good. Markus had ulterior motives; it was obvious. He wore his intentions on his face," Dominic asserted as he pulled Rachel closer.

Rachel, taken aback, protested, "Really? I couldn't see it. Markus has helped me before; don't be too quick to judge."

Dominic snorted, his gaze darkening. "Trust me, it's written all over his face that he wants to pursue you."

Rachel shot him an indignant look. "How can you say that?"

Dominic, unperturbed, stated bluntly, "Because it's true. I'm legal to be with you; he isn't."

Flustered, Rachel pushed him away and marched ahead, her ears ablaze with embarrassment.

Even at home, Rachel continued to give Dominic the cold shoulder.

Announcing his presence with a knock on her door, Dominic entered her room carrying a glass of warm milk. "Do you plan to ignore me forever, Miss Daley?"

Ignoring him, Rachel continued sketching. Unexpectedly, Dominic took her hand and placed something cold in her palm.

Startled, Rachel examined the item—a vintage platinum ring with an emerald setting, its edges bearing the marks of time. The ring seemed to carry a profound history.

"What's this for?"

"My mother left it for me. Wear it; it'll signify that you're a married woman." Dominic leaned against her desk, a faint smile playing on his lips as he observed the ring on her finger.

Turning the ring over, Rachel shrugged and slid it onto her left ring finger. The dark emerald shimmered against her slender finger, slightly loose.

She raised her hand and managed to stifle a smile. "It's beautiful. Thank you," she said, still maintaining her composure.

Over the weekend, Rachel decided to take the items from the Daley family to a second-hand shop, but the offered price fell far short of her expectations.

Chapter 36 - A Costly Deception

"How could all of this be worth only twenty thousand? The bag alone is worth more than that!” Rachel was so angry that she felt she was about to explode. It was painfully obvious that the shop assistant was taking advantage of her.

“Any second-hand good is priced at ten percent of its original price.” The shop assistant sneered at Rachel complacently. Then, after punching a couple of numbers into the calculator, she snapped, “Get out if you’re not planning to sell your things. There’s a line behind you.”

“All of these are authentic!” Rachel stubbornly continued to bargain. Twenty thousand dollars barely covered Norma’s hospitalization. “Surely you can offer me something higher!”

“I don’t care if it’s real or fake. They’re all second hand. Plus, they’re all old models from more than a decade ago. Only this Hermes is worth something. Do you think this is a charity? I can add five thousand for the bag, but that’s the best I can do. If you still think it’s too low, take your things somewhere else.” The shop assistant could tell that Rachel was in urgent need of money and deliberately used this to her advantage.

Feeling helpless, Rachel accepted the money even though she was getting the short end of the stick. Just as she turned around to leave, a woman in her early thirties stopped her. Rachel saw from her name tag that she was the shop manager.

“Miss, why the long face? Were you not able to sell your goods at an ideal price? If you still lack money, perhaps you’d be willing to sell the ring on your finger. We can give you a good price for it!” The shop manager smiled, staring at the emerald ring on Rachel’s finger, her eyes shining greedily.

Trying to seem casual, Rachel asked calmly, “How much?”

Glancing at the other people in the shop, the shop manager leaned closer and whispered in Rachel’s ear, “One million. What do you think?”

This amount was more than enough to cover Norma’s medical bills.

Rachel was stunned. She looked carefully at the ring on her finger. The emerald nestled in the middle was like a pea that was just freed from its pod. The little gem was round and slightly cold, but its deep green color was dazzling.

She couldn’t believe that the ring Dominic had given her was that valuable.

“Sorry, this is my wedding ring. I can’t sell it.”

Despite the tempting offer, Rachel couldn’t give in. It was a gift from Dominic after all, and it was left by his mother. Perhaps it was a family heirloom.

Whatever the case, she couldn’t sell the ring.

After refusing the shop manager, she turned around to leave.

But the shop manager stopped her again. With a big smile plastered on her face, she said, “No rush, Miss. It’s okay if you don’t want to sell it. But it’s clear to me that the ring is a little too big for your finger. We offer free ring sizing. We can alter it to fit you within the day. Do you want to avail of this service? It’ll look even better if it fits you properly.”

“No, thanks. I don’t want to bother you.” Rachel could see that the shop manager was still staring at the ring on her finger greedily, so she politely refused.

The shop manager seemed to understand what Rachel was thinking. She smiled knowingly and pointed at the corner of the store. “Miss, I know that your ring is valuable. Are you worried that we’ll lose or damage it? Look. We have surveillance cameras here. We won’t let anything bad happen to your ring. Besides, it’s too big and most likely will slip off your finger. It’ll be inconvenient for you if you keep wearing it like this.”

After glancing at all the cameras in the shop, Rachel hesitantly pulled the ring off of her finger and handed it to the shop manager. “Thank you,” she said with a smile.

The shop manager then pulled out a string from her pocket to measure the size of Rachel’s finger and said with a friendly smile, “All right. You can come back and get it tomorrow.”

As instructed, Rachel went back to the shop the morning of the next day.

The shop manager warmly received her. “Miss, you’re early! Hang on a moment. I’ll fetch the ring.”

“Okay, thank you.”

The shop manager pulled out a blue velvet jewelry box from a wooden chest behind her and opened it. “Have a look, Miss. You can check if there’s anything wrong.”

Rachel picked up the ring and held it up in front of her, studying it carefully. Finally, she put it on. “It fits nicely, but why does it look brand new?”

The shop manager rolled her eyes with a chuckle and waved her hand dismissively. “Oh, here’s the thing. When our staff saw how old your ring looked last night, they had it cleaned. Don’t worry. The cleaning was also free.”

Rachel nodded and didn’t think much of it. It just looked shiny and new now. Otherwise, there was nothing else unusual.

When she was done at the second-hand store, Rachel went to the supermarket to buy some groceries.

When she got home, Dominic walked out of his room in flip flops and disheveled hair.

“Where’ve you been? I didn’t see you all morning.” Yawning lazily, he strode over to help Rachel with her groceries. As he opened the bags and checked the food, he asked, “What’s for lunch?”

After thinking for a while, Rachel opened the fridge and took a bottle of cold water. “I bought a lot of tomatoes. How about we have scrambled eggs with tomatoes? Or spaghetti? What do you think—”

Before she could finish her sentence, Dominic suddenly grabbed her hand fiercely.

The man stared at the shiny ring on her finger and asked coldly, “Did you sell the ring I gave you?”

Rachel was startled and confused. With the bottle of water in her other hand, she took a sip nonchalantly and shook her head. “No. It’s right there on my finger! Or are you blind?”

She looked at him playfully.

Dominic, on the other hand, was in no mood to joke. His expression darkened and his voice lowered. “Let me see.”

Unlike Rachel, he was very familiar with the ring. He knew something was wrong with it at just a glance.

As she took off the ring, Rachel muttered to herself, “Weird.”

Dominic pressed his fingers against his temple and picked up the ring to have a closer look. His expression grew even more serious. “The back of the ring I gave you is engraved with my mother’s initials, but this ring has no such engravings.”

Dominic knew she was short on money, but he didn’t expect her to sell the ring just like that.

He wouldn’t have minded if it were any other ring, but this ring in particular was left by his mother.

“Is this a fake?!” Rachel’s eyes went wide in shock.

She took the ring back from him and inspected it. Sure enough, its inner wall was very smooth. There wasn’t a sign of any engraving on it.

Dominic shook his head and frowned deeply. “It’s not a fake

—at least, not exactly. The gem and the platinum are real, and the style is similar to the ring I gave you. It’s difficult for ordinary people to distinguish the difference between the two. But this is just a counterfeit, and it was made to copy the original one. The one I gave you is a quite famous antique. It was passed down from my mother’s ancestors. Its value is worth ten times more than this one.

Dominic didn’t know much about jewelry before, but he had made a few friends in the industry. They told him that some people sold fakes and played tricks like this.

Rachel felt all the color drain from her face. Her hands and feet went cold, as though someone had stabbed her with an ice pick.

The manager of the second-hand shop must’ve realized instantly that her ring was a priceless antique. She was so greedy that she lied to Rachel through her teeth about changing the ring size. In fact, she had replaced the real ring with a measly imitation.

Seeing that Rachel was at a loss for words, Dominic closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “Why’re you wearing a fake? Did you sell the real ring and find a cheap replacement so I wouldn’t notice?”

Dominic looked incredibly disappointed.

Only then did Rachel realize he was actually accusing her.

She felt wronged. Her heart felt tied up in knots. “Are you accusing me of exchanging your mother’s valuables for money?”

Dominic closed his eyes, feeling a little annoyed.

What else should he think?

His wife seemed to always need more money. According to his investigation of her, she used to like luxuries.

Dominic had been in the business world for so many years, and he had been exposed to all kinds of people.

No one could keep up with this sort of lifestyle forever. Moreover, “Ivonne” used to live such a luxurious life, and it was only a matter of time for her to show her true colors.

When Dominic didn’t say anything, Rachel’s heart sank.

“You didn’t even ask me what happened. You just assumed that I sold the ring!” Clenching the water bottle in her hand, Rachel sneered unhappily.

He probably thought she was crazy. Yet she held onto a small hope that Dominic would believe her.

But now that she thought about it, she recalled that they were just a nominal couple, no different from strangers. How could they really trust each other?

“Dominic, no matter how much money I need, I would never do such a thing. That ring was an heirloom from your mother. I promise I’ll get the real one back.”

Taking the counterfeit from Dominic’s hand, Rachel turned around and was about to leave. Suddenly, something occurred to her. She pursed her lips and turned to look at the man behind her.

“And even if I can’t find it, I’ll find a way to pay you back, no matter how much it costs.”

Last edited:
Chapter 37 – A Deceptive Trail

Rachel wasted no time and strode out of the shop, leaving Dominic behind without waiting for a response. As he watched her retreating figure, Dominic couldn't shake the heavy feeling of depression that had settled over him.

With a deep sigh, he hastily picked up his jacket and rushed after her. Late June had brought scorching afternoon heat, making the pursuit even more uncomfortable. Dominic kept a distance as he followed Rachel, his eyes fixated on her long hair dancing in the wind.

Dominic couldn't fathom Rachel's destination. Whatever had transpired between them, it was clear there was more to the story. He would have detected deception if she were lying. Doubt gnawed at him as he quickened his pace, trailing closely behind her. Had he wrongfully accused Rachel?

After traversing two streets and passing a traffic light, Rachel finally veered off the sidewalk and entered a second-hand shop. Dominic followed her in without making a sound.

"I want to see your shop manager!" Rachel slammed her ring onto the counter, her once-smiling face now an icy mask of anger. In moments when she wasn't smiling, she exuded an air of aloofness and unapproachability.

"Miss, what brings you here so soon? Did you forget something?" The shop manager looked up from a conversation with a customer and approached Rachel with a feigned smile.

Arms crossed over her chest, Rachel replied coldly, "I did leave something here. Give me my ring back."

"Are you joking, miss? Isn't the ring right on your finger?" The shop manager's smile remained intact, making her appear all the more insincere.

"You lied to my face and replaced my ring, yet you still have the audacity to deny it?" Rachel seethed with anger, her frustration palpable.

The shop manager's forced smile wavered slightly. "I don't know what you're talking about. Are you trying to blackmail us with a fake ring? We've had people attempt tricks like that in the past."

Rachel's eye twitched in irritation. It was evident that she was furious. "Why don't we check the surveillance camera footage? This isn't the ring I left here yesterday."

Maintaining her composure, the shop manager nodded to a shop assistant at the checkout counter. "Do as she says."

The surveillance video's quality was abysmal, rendering the ring unidentifiable. Rachel had wondered why the shop manager remained so composed and arrogant despite her deceitful actions. It became apparent that she was confident the footage couldn't prove the ring substitution.

"Miss, can you leave now? You've reviewed the surveillance video, and it shows no foul play. If you continue causing trouble, we'll have to involve the police." The shop manager tossed the fake ring back to Rachel, wearing a smug smile as if she was prepared to call the authorities at any moment.

Several shop assistants converged on Rachel, attempting to intimidate her into leaving.

Determined to find a solution, Rachel put on a faint smile, approached the shop manager, and placed the counterfeit ring on the counter. "Weren't you offering me an exorbitant price for the ring yesterday? I'm willing to sell it now. Here you go. Will you pay by check or cash?"

Rachel's words wiped the smug smile off the shop manager's face. She quickly backtracked, saying feebly, "I did offer that price yesterday, but I've changed my mind. I don't want it anymore."

Smirking, Rachel continued, "You were so eager for it yesterday. The surveillance footage can attest to that. Why the sudden change? Is it because you know this one's a fake and not worth a million?"

The shop manager hesitated, "Well... I thought the ring was an antique. I had seen something similar in a jewelry magazine before. But when you left it here for resizing, I examined it closely and realized it wasn't the same as the one in the magazine, just similar. So, I don't want it anymore."

Her admission of guilt slipped through her feigned calmness.

Several shop assistants crowded around Rachel, ready to force her out of the store.

A stern voice interrupted, "How dare you act arrogantly after stealing my wife's ring?" Dominic's cold gaze bore into the shop manager as he stood near the door.

Rachel turned in surprise to find Dominic, a tall and imposing figure clad in a dark gray shirt and black suit pants, holding his jacket. His presence exuded an ominous and intimidating aura, making him someone not to be trifled with.

Rolling her eyes in exasperation, Rachel, still holding a grudge from their earlier altercation, walked past Dominic without saying a word and exited the shop.

Dominic had overheard Rachel's conversation with the shop manager and knew that the latter was lying.

"Sir, please refrain from causing any more trouble. This is the ring your wife left with us yesterday. If you and your wife persist in attempting blackmail, we will involve the police." The shop manager resumed her arrogant demeanor, seemingly unfazed.

Dominic fixed her with a chilling stare, and his smile sent shivers down her spine. "Then call the police. I'll handle them and ensure you end up behind bars."

With that, he abruptly turned and followed Rachel outside, reaching for her hand.

"Are you still angry with me?" he asked, well aware of the answer.

Rachel regarded him stubbornly. "I heard what you said in there. How do you plan to put her behind bars? We have no evidence!"

Dominic replied calmly, "Don't worry. I'll handle everything and retrieve my mother's ring."

He then lowered his gaze, feeling somewhat ashamed. "I misunderstood you earlier. I apologize."

Apologizing was not something Dominic did often, and it came out stiff and devoid of emotion.

Rachel narrowed her eyes, her tone dripping with sarcasm. "Oh, is that so, Mr. Peterson? Thank you for your gracious apology."

With those words, she turned away, leaving Dominic standing alone under a streetlamp, looking out onto the bustling street and the towering buildings that seemed to touch the sky.

He pulled out his phone and dialed Andy's number, his voice cold as ice. "Find out if a platinum emerald ring, possibly antique, has recently been put up for sale."

Andy, well-acquainted with his boss's moods, sensed the simmering rage in Dominic's voice. He promptly assigned someone to investigate the matter.

An hour later, they began to uncover some promising leads.

Chapter 38 – The Riddle of the Replaced Ring

Dominic absorbed the report, his hair gently tousled by a steady breeze as he gazed at the imposing building across the street. His voice was calm as he inquired, "Who sent it to the auction?"

"It was a woman from a second-hand luxury shop who sent it in earlier today," came the response. "She claims to have received it from a customer. I've gathered all the details about the ring and the woman; I'll send them to you immediately."

The interrogation room had three walls made of dark gray glass, leaving everything inside exposed to anyone outside.

Standing just beyond the glass door, Dominic examined the platinum emerald ring with a dangerous intensity. His immaculate leather shoes were untouched, but his dark eyes burned as his fingertips brushed the initials carved inside the ring.

Andy held a cold cup of coffee, offering it cautiously to Dominic. "Boss, we've located the woman. We'll bring her in for questioning promptly, and I'll ensure she confesses to everything."

Dominic nodded and glanced at the interrogation room.

The shop manager was ushered in, her previous arrogance replaced by nervousness. She scanned the room and found herself surrounded by imposing men in suits.

"Where did you obtain this ring?" Andy's voice was stern as he pounded the table, adopting the demeanor of a fierce detective.

The shop manager nervously wrung her hands. Judging by their attire and commanding presence, she realized she was dealing with powerful individuals she couldn't defy. She had played some underhanded tricks recently and wasn't sure who had brought her here to settle the score.

"I... I've heard about this ring on TV and in magazines before. I knew it was a famous antique, so I bought it from a customer at a high price."

"Are you certain you purchased it at a high price?" Andy presented the evidence, including videos and photos captured by Dominic outside the second-hand shop. "This lady is the owner of the ring. She alleges that you stole it from her. Care to explain that?"

The shop manager's eyes widened as she recognized the woman who had visited her shop earlier. She attempted to defend herself, but the tall men advanced toward her, their gazes filled with malice.

"Tell the truth, or face the consequences," Andy snapped, his tone fierce.

The shop manager, an ordinary woman, had never encountered such a situation and had no inkling of how powerful and perilous these people were. Trembling with fear, she abandoned her lies and admitted the truth.

"I offered a high price, but the lady refused to sell it, so I got greedy and concocted this scheme. I've sold counterfeit jewelry before and happened to have a similar piece on hand, so I substituted the ring with the fake."

Dominic's jaw clenched, anger blazing in his eyes. He turned to a man nearby and issued a stern command, "I don't care what you do. Send this woman to jail, and ensure she never sees the light of day again."

That evening, Rachel sat on the sofa, engrossed in her designs. The sound of a key turning in the lock caught her attention.

Dominic entered, and upon closing the door, he noticed Rachel heading to her room with her drawings.

He quickened his stride and intercepted her. "The ring has been recovered. Take it," he said, slipping the ring onto her finger.

Rachel pursed her lips and returned the ring to his palm. "I'm glad you found it. However, please keep it with yourself. I don't want such a valuable item given to me again," she stated flatly, gazing into the distance.

"Are you still upset about this morning?" Dominic's expression darkened.

"No. It's just that I'm not good at holding onto things. If something goes awry, people might think I secretly sold it for money," Rachel responded with a stoic expression.

Hearing her words, Dominic understood that Rachel was still upset.

"What can I do to make it right?" Dominic felt helpless, unsure of how to mend the situation.

Rachel arched an eyebrow and looked at him. "You don't need to do anything."

With that, she entered her room, slamming the door shut behind her, leaving Dominic alone in the living room.

Dominic ran a hand through his hair, a sense of helplessness washing over him.

He didn't know who could provide him with the right advice now.

Dominic realized he needed to find a way to appease Rachel, but he lacked experience in comforting women and was unsure how to make amends.

He racked his brain but couldn't come up with a solution. Eventually, he decided to seek advice from Kristian.

Kristian, with his wealth of experience in matters of the heart, seemed like the person who could offer the right guidance.

The dimly lit bar was occasionally illuminated by flashing neon lights, and the pulsating music reverberated through the floor.

Spotting Dominic's entrance, Kristian swiftly extricated himself from the beautiful women clinging to him and straightened his attire.

Upon hearing Dominic's reason for visiting, Kristian burst into laughter. "I can't believe you'd come to me for something like this one day."

Dominic slowly lifted his glass, the subdued lighting accentuating his handsome features as he leaned against the sofa, extending his long legs. "Watch your words, or you might find yourself without weekends this month."

Kristian cleared his throat and refrained from further remarks.

He ordered a glass of wine and sat beside Dominic. "Do you want me to remain single forever? My eighteenth girlfriend is expecting a date this weekend."

"Didn't you mention that your seventeenth girlfriend is pregnant? Don't you want to get married?" Dominic frowned, taking a sip of his wine.

"How could I marry a woman carrying another man's child?" Kristian sneered but quickly adjusted his expression, offering a smile to Dominic. "Comforting women is easy," he began, scratching his chin. "If you've inadvertently upset her, simply apologize. Embrace her and speak sweetly. Her anger will dissipate swiftly."

Dominic rolled his eyes impatiently. "What's wrong with you? If I knew what to say, I wouldn't be seeking your advice."

"Are you serious?" Kristian finished his drink and pushed his glass aside. After a moment's reflection, he asked, "Do you know what she likes? Buy her things she enjoys: designer bags, jewelry, clothes. Buy plenty of the most expensive things she desires and shower her with gifts. I guarantee she'll be calm the next day."

Dominic's face remained hidden in the shadows, with only his prominent nose visible. His fingertips traced circles on the glass rim. "She does like those things, but mainly because she can sell them for money. I'd prefer to give her the money directly."

"Hmm... Your wife is quite unique," Kristian remarked, smiling.

Dominic shot him a glare. Kristian quickly waved his hand, clarifying, "I didn't mean it that way. Don't misunderstand me. Since she values money, it should be easier to resolve the issue. After all, you're a wealthy man."

Dominic rose from his seat, patting Kristian's shoulder. His eyes darkened. "That's enough for today.

Chapter 39 – "Flowers and Feelings"

As Rachel stepped out of her room, her gaze met Dominic standing by the door. He discreetly slid a bank card into her bag and softly said, “This is my payment card. You can use it as you like.”

Rachel regarded him with skepticism, then retrieved the card from her bag and placed it on the table. She responded firmly, “No, thanks. You should keep the card for yourself. We're just a pretend couple who don't get along. How can I use your money?”

Her tone made it clear that her anger hadn't subsided.

Dominic's imposing presence blocked her path as he picked up the card from the table and pressed it into Rachel's palm. "Take it," he insisted, closing her fingers around it.

Rachel was taken aback. "Why are you standing in my way? Will you let me leave if I don't accept it?"

Observing her cold demeanor, Dominic found himself at a loss. "I didn't mean that," he frowned.

"In that case, move aside. I can't afford to be late for work," Rachel declared as she tossed the card back onto the table, nudged him away, and exited the room, closing the door behind her.

Dominic's expression darkened as he slumped onto the sofa. Pleasing a woman seemed far more complicated than Kristian had suggested. Consequently, he decided to call Kristian immediately.

"She refused my money. Think of another solution for me."

Kristian, with a woman nestled in his arms, squinted sleepily and spoke in a less-than-sober voice. "You can't do this to me. It's seven in the morning, even servants need some rest."

"I'm serious. Find a solution quickly. I can't rest until this is resolved," Dominic insisted while gazing pensively out the window.

"Okay, okay. Give me a minute, will you?" Kristian reluctantly left the bed, splashed his face with cold water in the bathroom, and returned fully awake. "Buddy, I can tell that your wife is a bit of a challenge. I've seen her a couple of times, and she seemed gentle and easy-going, but her thoughts were inscrutable."

Dominic sneered, warning Kristian not to speak ill of her.

Ignoring Dominic's warning, Kristian continued, "Well, my point is, since money won't work, you need to change your approach. Try wooing her romantically. Women love flowers, especially roses, lilies, and tulips. One popular trend is to surprise a woman by leaving flowers in the fridge for her to find unexpectedly. Oh, I've got it! Fill your house with flowers; she'll be touched!"

Dominic sighed, doubting Kristian's credibility. "Have you tried something like that before?"

"Trust me, I'm a pro," Kristian assured, although in truth, he rarely put in much effort with women. He typically just took them to bed.

Dominic realized that Rachel was a conservative woman, and wooing her would require genuine effort.

That evening, as Rachel returned home from work, she opened the door to an apartment filled with a sweet fragrance of roses, illuminated by candlelight. The floor was covered in rose petals, leaving no space to step.

Rachel stood at the door, stunned by the sight.

Dominic stood in the living room, his handsome features accentuated by the candlelight.

Slowly, he walked towards Rachel, initially thinking she was pleasantly surprised. However, upon closer inspection, he realized her expression was different.

Rachel leaned against the door, her gaze vacant. She asked weakly, "How much did you spend on all these flowers?"

But she already had a rough estimate in mind. There were at least a thousand flowers here, and if one cost ten dollars...

It felt like she was looking at not just flowers but at a substantial loss of money.

"Five thousand," Dominic replied hesitantly, although he had actually spent twice as much. He couldn't bring himself to say it.

Rachel gasped in shock. "How could you spend so much?"

But then she realized she had no right to scold Dominic for his spending. After all, they were just nominal spouses. She sighed and said, "Dominic, you don't earn that much. You need to be more financially responsible."

Rachel entered the room and assessed the situation. "Some of these flowers are still good. Maybe we can return them to the flower shop to get some money back."

Seeing Dominic in a daze, Rachel tugged at his shirt. "What are you doing? We're roommates; I can't let you clean up alone. Go get some bags; maybe we can return some flowers to the shop. Please don't waste your money on meaningless extravagance like this."

Dominic scratched his head, embarrassed. He felt like a fool.

Finally, he managed to say, "I'll clean this up. You go rest."

"We share this place; I can't let you do all the work," Rachel insisted.

Dominic's expression darkened, and he knelt on the floor to start cleaning. Meanwhile, he silently vowed to confront Kristian for his terrible advice.

"Do you have the flower shop's number? Ask if we can return some of the flowers," Rachel suggested as she gathered a bunch of flowers onto the dining table.

Dominic worked diligently to clear the flower petals from the floor and made a call to have his men pick up the flowers.

It was past midnight when they finished cleaning up.

Exhausted, Rachel slumped onto the sofa. Dominic approached her, saying, "I managed to get some money back from the flower shop."

Rachel looked at the stack of cash he placed beside her. "Why are you giving this to me? It's your money."

Chapter 40 – "A Sensual Encounter"

Rachel appeared fatigued, yet her demeanor remained as icy as it had been that morning.

With an air of indifference, she emptied a pile of cash onto the coffee table before heading toward her room. Just as she was about to shut the door behind her, she cast one final, lingering glance at the man.

Deep down, she felt a rush of delight at receiving flowers from Dominic. She had never seen such a profusion of blooms, especially not from him.

However, the key to any harmonious relationship was trust, and it was precisely that trust which Dominic seemed to lack. That was what had stoked her anger, and she wasn't ready to let it go so easily.

Sighing heavily, Rachel collapsed onto the bed in desolation.

Just outside her door, Dominic seethed with anger. He clenched his teeth and strode to the balcony to dial Kristian's number.

"How did it go? Have you won her over?" Kristian asked bluntly, his voice tinged with amusement.

Dominic sneered, his eyes darker than the night sky. "Thanks to you, I haven't had a moment's rest since sundown," he hissed.

"Wow! You're incredible! It's been almost four hours! Well done!" Unfortunately, Kristian appeared oblivious to Dominic's distress. He continued enthusiastically, "I told you it would work! Since I've done such a great favor for you, could you consider giving me some time off?"

Dominic was so furious that he almost burst into laughter. Glancing at Rachel's door, he cursed under his breath, "You're utterly useless! Your ridiculous idea didn't work at all. She called me a reckless spender and asked me to return the flowers. I even had to clean up all the petals from the floor. I've just finished tidying up! And you think you deserve a break? Kristian, you're going to be working extra hours this month, with no weekends off."

If Dominic's mood was this volatile, it meant trouble not only for Kristian but for the entire Porter Group.

"Wait! Don't hang up!" Kristian pleaded frantically. Clutching his phone tightly to his ear, he hastily got out of bed. His girlfriend was showering in the bathroom, but Kristian had no interest in peeking at her beautiful naked body. He rushed straight to the balcony, wine bottle in hand, and suggested, "Mr. Peterson, calm down. Flowers have always worked for me. But I did warn you that your wife is different. How about I lend you some of my girlfriend's books? They're all guides on love. You might find some useful ideas in there."

Dominic snorted coldly and ended the call without another word.

It was rare for him to be this emotionally unsettled. Such unpredictability boded ill.

The following morning at the Porter Group, Kristian slammed a bag of books onto Dominic's desk with a cheerful grin. "These are all top-notch. I guarantee that by tonight, you'll be cuddling with your wife."

Dominic glanced at him emotionlessly but decided to finish his work before delving into the bag. Finally, he set aside the document in his hand and reached for the paper bag.

"My Bossy CEO Boyfriend"...

"Pregnant Wife Runs Away"...

"Mysterious CEO, Gentle Lover"...

What on earth were all these titles?!

Dominic wrinkled his nose in disgust. He contemplated tossing the books into the trash but, after a moment of hesitation, picked one up and perused its contents. His furrowed brows only relaxed after he put it down.

The books were even more shocking than their titles. Dominic felt the urge to cleanse his eyes after reading them.

But perhaps the books weren't entirely useless. They all seemed to have a common theme. Whenever the protagonists quarreled, they resolved their issues through passionate lovemaking. The hero would invariably take charge, sweeping the heroine into his arms and escalating things until they reached their bedroom. In the end, all their problems were miraculously solved.

Dominic frowned, pondering whether he should give it a try.

That night, Rachel wore headphones, sitting on a chair with one leg tucked beneath her, engrossed in her design work.

Her graceful fingers danced effortlessly with the pen, creating bold, confident strokes. The window was ajar, allowing the summer breeze to tousle her long, silky hair.

Dominic knocked on the door, and his heart skipped a beat when he witnessed the beautiful tableau.

Rachel briefly glanced at him and then averted her gaze, focusing on her artwork.

Dominic took her gesture as an invitation to enter the room. Brazenly, he walked in and closed the door behind him.

"Let's talk," he intoned, his eyes dark and penetrating. He placed a steaming glass of milk on the table and regarded her intently.

The sweet scent of milk wafted through the air.

Rachel pursed her lips, her thoughts in disarray. "I don't have time."

Dominic stepped back and settled on the edge of the bed, his fingers tracing patterns on the soft bedsheet. "I'll wait for you to finish your work."

Rachel, her mind in turmoil, grumbled, "What do you want to talk about?"

Dominic embraced her tightly, his arms encircling her as he pulled her against him. His warm breath caressed her ear, and desire stirred within him.

"You've completed your work. Let's talk now."

Rachel's ears reddened, and her heart raced as if she were on a rollercoaster. "Release me, Dominic! I need to tidy up the desk," she protested, attempting to squirm away.

Dominic held her even tighter, pinning her to the desk. With his free hand, he helped her stow the tablet in its bag and inquired, "Why are you shaking? I'll assist you in clearing the desk."

"Let go of me first, and we can sit down comfortably to talk." Rachel's voice was a mix of shyness and trepidation.

"If I release you, you'll run away and avoid talking to me," Dominic asserted.

He hooked his fingers beneath her chin, tilting her head to meet his gaze. "You naughty girl!"

Rachel's eyes widened.

Hey master Junlee,
First of all, thanks for this amazing novel 🙏
Secondly, I wanna ask that when will you be uploading the next chapters?