A Billionaire Husband and The Substitute Wife - Love Story of Dominic Peterson and Rachel Daley

In the Daley household, young Rachel's life was akin to a continuous uphill battle. Her mother was relentless in her relentless teasing and torment, and her sister seemed intent on acquiring everything Rachel held dear, including her boyfriend. Yet, the most pressing challenge was the mounting medical bills of her foster mother, Norma—the one soul who had shown Rachel unwavering kindness since her early years and had raised her with a tender heart.

Desperation had driven the Daley family to a rather peculiar arrangement: they agreed to shoulder Norma's medical expenses, but with a caveat. They insisted that Rachel take the plunge into matrimony with Dominic, the illegitimate and seemingly directionless scion of the affluent Peterson family, replacing her sister as his spouse.

As the wedding bells chimed and the ink on their marriage certificate dried, both Rachel and Dominic would soon discover that their newlywed partner harbored a closely guarded secret, poised to shake the very foundation of their union.

Chapter 41 – "The CEO's Cat Scratch Fever"

Dominic let out an amused snort and playfully traced his fingers along her rosy lips. "Why the glare, still?"

Leaning in, he cheekily nibbled on her lower lip, which earned a surprised squeal from Rachel. Swiftly, he lifted her up and tossed her onto the bed.

Before Rachel could regain her composure, Dominic deftly grabbed her delicate ankles, pulling her beneath him as he pressed his body close. A whimper escaped Rachel's lips as he passionately kissed her, his stubbly chin tickling her face. In a daring move, Dominic yanked her skirt up to her waist.

"Dominic!"

His name left Rachel's lips in shock. She frantically waved her hand against his face, leaving three fiery scratch marks on his skin.

Dominic, taken aback, recoiled and released her. She retreated to the head of the bed, wrapping herself in a quilt that concealed everything but her irate eyes.

Clearing his throat, Dominic leaned against the bed. "I just..."

Rachel pointed sharply at the door, growling, "Shut up! I don't want to see you! Get out now!"

Realizing that he had only fueled her anger, Dominic wisely chose not to provoke her further. He took a deep breath and departed, closing the door behind him.

Rachel buried her face in the quilt, her cheeks ablaze.

Back in his room, Dominic couldn't sleep. When he looked at himself in the mirror the next morning, he discovered three crimson marks on his forehead.

With no mask to conceal them and not enough hair to hide them, he had no choice but to face the world that way.

Today marked a senior executive meeting at the Porter Group. Everyone appeared well-prepared, donning solemn expressions. Kristian, on the left, idly spun a pen between his fingers.

Suddenly, the meeting room door swung open. In walked Dominic, clad in a dark blue suit, followed by his assistant, Andy, who carried a laptop and the necessary documents. His usual air of authority surrounded him, but the fiery marks on his otherwise composed face captured everyone's attention.

All eyes fixed on Dominic, as though they had just witnessed a ghost.

They wondered who had dared to mar the face of the Porter Group's CEO like this.

Kristian's mouth fell open in astonishment. Leaning closer to Dominic, he asked, "Boss, what happened to your face?"

Dominic's lips twitched, and he froze mid-flip of the documents in his hand. Lifting his gaze, he glared at Kristian. "My cat scratched me."

The coldness in Dominic's tone sent shivers down spines, leaving the room in an eerie silence.

After the meeting concluded, everyone breathed a sigh of relief and dispersed.

"Well, you haven't quite won her over yet, have you?" Kristian quizzed Dominic, closing the laptop and adjusting his glasses.

Dominic rubbed his temples impatiently. "Just leave. This is all because of your idiotic books."

Kristian erupted into laughter, tears forming in his eyes.

Dominic leaned back in his chair, offering a chilly smile. "Laugh all you want. I'm docking your bonus for the quarter and buying coffee and pastries for the entire staff."

"I'm sorry, boss!"

Kristian promptly ceased laughing and cleared his throat. "You should consider stopping these tricks. Your wife clearly isn't buying it. If you make a mistake, apologize genuinely. I'm certain she'll forgive you. She doesn't seem like an unreasonable person."

Dominic gazed into the distance, recalling how Rachel had defensively covered herself with the quilt the previous night. "Well, judging by her reaction last night, she was clearly angry. She wouldn't even talk to me when I asked her what she wanted."

"Looks like she's still upset. When a woman says it's fine, it's definitely not. When she says she's not mad, it means she's boiling inside. It's not about what she says; you have to study hard to figure out what's on her mind," Kristian advised patiently, like a seasoned mentor.

Dominic's expression remained inscrutable.

Kristian caught his drift. "Don't be embarrassed. Think about what's more important."

He glanced at the red marks on Dominic's forehead. "Don't tell me you actually slept with her last night. I've dated quiet and gentle women like her before. They don't appreciate aggressive men."

Kristian knew Dominic better than anyone. In business, Dominic was swift, decisive, and unwavering. But women were different; they might not be fond of his forceful nature.

Dominic scowled at Kristian and remembered the heated argument between Rachel and her sister. "She's not that docile." He smiled, shaking his head.

"Just offer a sincere apology," Kristian suggested with a knowing grin. "I guarantee it'll work. If it doesn't, you can dock my salary next month. Think of it as paying for my countless dating experiences; I'm shamelessly persistent."

"I'm not as shameless as you. Goodbye." Dominic rolled his eyes, turned on his heels, and exited the conference room.

It was now July, and Sunhaven was gripped by the first wave of scorching summer heat. Days grew longer, and the sun set later.

One evening, as the sun dipped below the horizon, Rachel returned home early. The warm golden light bathed the apartment, casting everything in a soft, hazy glow. In the kitchen, a man was cooking something mouthwatering.

"Why are you home so soon?" Rachel suppressed her surprise and made her way to the kitchen.

Dominic deftly flipped the sizzling dumplings in the pan as they danced to his rhythm. He turned off the stove and transferred the dumplings to a plate before setting the table with bowls and chopsticks. "Join me for dinner. What are you just standing there for?"

"Alright," Rachel agreed without resistance. As Dominic prepared the table, she cautiously took a seat. Gazing at the steaming dumplings in her bowl, she remarked in astonishment, "You can even make dumplings?"

Dominic pulled up a chair and settled opposite her. In the fading sunlight, his typically sharp features appeared gentle and tender. Even his eyes brimmed with affection. "Is it that surprising? My mother made sure I learned to cook. She didn't like doing it alone, so she often had me help her."

Chapter 42: The Apology and the Sparkling Surprise

Dominic had ultimately taken Kristian's advice to heart, but now, faced with the task of making a sincere apology, he knew he couldn't approach it half-heartedly.

Rachel, still unable to look directly at the scars on Dominic's face from the previous night's events, diverted her gaze. She decided to break the awkward silence by saying, "Oh, I see. Anyway, I'm famished. Let's eat." With a slow pace, she picked up her chopsticks and began to savor the dumplings in her bowl. Soon enough, she put her bowl down, leaving three dumplings behind.

Dominic, with a small smile, reached over to take her bowl and transferred her remaining dumplings into his. "Can't let these go to waste."

"Sorry, I really can't eat another one," Rachel mumbled guiltily.

After a moment's pause, Dominic playfully quipped, "What's the matter? I was just making an excuse to enjoy your leftovers."

“Oh?” Realizing that she misunderstood him yet again, Rachel found herself unable to meet his eyes. She was still very sensitive about what other people thought of her. After all, she used to be the outcast, excluded from many school activities.

"Look, I know I was wrong about the ring. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have doubted you. Don't dwell on it; I trust you now." Dominic, although unaccustomed to apologizing, scratched his head sheepishly as he brought up the incident from a few days ago.

Rachel fidgeted with her fingers and continued after some thought, "It's in the past, let's forget about it."

Dominic, skeptical, looked at her intently, his dark eyes revealing his uncertainty. "Are you sure? Your previous words had quite an impact, and now it's hard to tell if you mean what you're saying."

Finally, Rachel gave him a small, genuine smile. "I'm sure. People change, and I'm not who I used to be. You've seen that firsthand living with me."

Dominic, satisfied with her response, finished the remaining dumplings and retrieved the emerald ring from his pocket. He handed it to Rachel. "Since you're not angry anymore, keep it."

Rachel held the ring tightly but declined to wear it. "I'll hold onto it, but wearing it every day would make me anxious. If you want others to know we're married, we can get an ordinary ring."

Dominic thought for a moment and agreed, "Alright, we'll get another ring."

The following morning, as Rachel brushed her teeth, Dominic surprised her by wrapping his arms around her waist from behind. His morning stubble tickled her shoulder as he said, "What lotion do you use? It smells so good. Anyway, look what I got you!"

Rachel pulled away from his touch, feeling his stubble's itchiness. After rinsing her mouth, she opened the wine-red velvet box he had placed on the counter. Inside gleamed a diamond ring with a central blue diamond, an exquisite piece.

"Wow," Rachel exclaimed, "It's beautiful and looks expensive. Don't tell me you spent a fortune again."

Dominic, affectionately, assured her, "Don't worry; it didn't cost much. I got it from a friend."

Rachel, believing it to be fake, marveled at the ring's beauty. "Technology must be amazing; it looks so real!"

Dominic looked at her cute face and had to hold back a smile that kept tugging at the corner of his lips. Lowering his head so that she couldn’t see his face, he took the diamond ring out of the box and slipped it onto her index finger. Her fair, slender finger made the diamond pop out even more.

Delighted, he nibbled her neck and whispered, “You’re right. It does look real.”

“Ouch! Hey!” Rachel shot him a glare, rubbing the spot he bit. Raising her hand, she stared at the diamond under the light. Each facet glistened and twinkled.

Even she couldn’t help but nod with satisfaction. Now, no one would try to rob her with such a big diamond ring on her finger, because it looked way too big. It was obviously fake.

“Oh, that hurts already? Then what should you do when we get down to real business someday?” Looking at the faint teeth marks he left on her neck, Dominic snickered.

“What’re you talking about?” Hearing his naughty words, Rachel blushed, her ears burning bright red. She quickly yanked at a towel to wipe her face. Pushing him, she barked, “Get out of my way. I’m going to be late for work.”

But Dominic’s hands still lingered on her waist, unwilling to let her go. “I’ll let you go if you kiss me.”

“Dominic, stop it. I’m going to be late!” Rachel quickly turned her face away stubbornly. It was as red as an apple.

“It’s not like we’ve never kissed before. Why are you so scared?” Dominic whispered in her ear teasingly.

But in the end, he let her go. He patted her on the head and murmured, “You win.”

Rachel looked at him, bewildered. She had thought that he’d force her to kiss him, but he didn’t. Dominic turned around and walked away. She stared at his back blankly, lost in thought.

When she arrived at the office, she found the design department bustling busily.

The new director, Stephanie Miller, was quite strict. She required everyone to submit an independent design within two weeks, and all the designers running around like headless chickens to meet the deadline.

Chapter 43 – "The Battle of Designs and Egos"

"Why did Mr. Higgins give us such a difficult director? She’s worse than Nikolas," a male colleague griped under his breath as he made revisions to his design drawing.

Luckily, Stephanie's office was quite a distance away, affording them a moment to let off some steam.

"Stephanie's the quintessential twenty-first-century iron lady. She excels at office work and housework," a female colleague suddenly chimed in, poking her head out from beside Rachel. "Hey, is she married? How old is she anyway?"

"I don't know her age, but I'd bet she's single," the male colleague mused, gnawing on one end of his pen, lost in thought as he stared at his drawing.

Rachel injected some lightheartedness into the conversation, "I think she's an asset to our department. She might come off as stern, but she's fair and gets the job done. We could all learn something from her."

As everyone chatted animatedly, a knock on the glass suddenly silenced the room. Stephanie stood by the door in a black dress, her lips pursed unhappily. "Since you all seem to have so much free time on your hands, let's have a meeting at ten o'clock. All the designers are required to attend."

A hush fell over the office. Everyone knew they were in for trouble. The male colleague even made a throat-slitting gesture.

"The design department just landed a critical project. We'll be collaborating with another company on the spring collection. Each of you has to submit your plan by the end of this week."

As Stephanie spoke, she efficiently flipped through a PowerPoint presentation. Then, after assigning tasks and leaving the room, she departed like a teacher leaving her students to complete a challenging test.

The atmosphere in the design department plummeted several degrees.

Rachel and her fellow designers found themselves working overtime that week, sketching drafts with the intensity of students in the middle of a rigorous exam.

To their astonishment, when the designs were submitted a week later, Rachel's design was chosen.

She thought the battle had ended, but one morning, Stephanie summoned her to her office.

"You need to start over and create a new plan."

Rachel furrowed her brow, her head tilting in confusion.

Stephanie looked at her dispassionately. "Don't worry. Hear me out first. When we presented your draft to the client, it was rejected, and your designs were criticized extensively. They requested something more serious."

Rachel picked up the design draft she had submitted and carefully scrutinized it.

"This design aligns perfectly with their requirements. I'm baffled as to why they rejected it. Perhaps it's because I lack experience and failed to grasp where I went wrong. Ms. Miller, please provide me with some guidance, or maybe consider another designer."

Both Rachel and Stephanie were equally perplexed and taken aback.

Stephanie examined the design draft and shook her head. "I can't offer any advice. I thought this design draft was excellent; that's why I chose it and presented it to the client. Frankly, when a client isn't satisfied with our design, they usually ask for modifications based on their preferences. I can't believe they outright rejected our design without providing a proper explanation this time."

"So, what should we do now?" Rachel asked hesitantly.

"Since we can't discern the reason, let's visit their company and inquire about the rejection in person. It's better to have a face-to-face discussion. Bring your design drafts and laptop so we can make adjustments on the spot." Stephanie stood up and grabbed her coat.

Stephanie's decisiveness surprised Rachel.

She had expected Stephanie to demand repeated modifications until the client was satisfied.

However, Stephanie had a different plan in mind.

She took Rachel to the ChromaWorld Company.

This company was part of a clothing conglomerate, known for its popular women's fashion brand.

Upon reaching the reception, Rachel encountered a familiar face.

"Sorry for keeping you waiting. I'm overseeing the project, so you can speak directly to me." Ivonne walked in with an air of haughtiness, clutching a cup of coffee.

Seeing Rachel, Ivonne's arrogance and smugness grew.

Observing the surprise on Rachel's face, Stephanie raised an eyebrow. "Do you two know each other?"

Before Rachel could respond, Ivonne interjected with a smile, "No, we don't. This woman has come to our place to pick up second-hand items several times. She works as a designer in your company? It seems like you're not too picky with your hires."

"That's quite impolite of you. The Porter Group's design department has a strong reputation. Besides, you chose our company to fulfill your design needs," Stephanie responded courteously, suppressing her irritation.

Ivonne snorted and casually perused the design draft on the table. "Your drafts look rather amateurish. What are you still doing here?"

At that moment, a man arrived at the reception. He was Max Anderson, the CEO of the ChromaWorld Company and Ivonne's current boyfriend.

"Why are you all standing? Please, have a seat so we can discuss." Max settled onto the sofa. "Here's the situation: my girlfriend isn't pleased with the design, so I'll have to ask you to come up with a different draft."

Max had initially liked the design, but Ivonne had seen it at his place last night. Upon realizing that Rachel was the designer, she immediately convinced him to reject it.

She clung to Max's arm, casting a triumphant smile toward Rachel. "I'm responsible for evaluating the design drafts for this project now. I believe Miss Daley's design falls short of our expectations. You should consider replacing her with a more competent designer."

"Our company selected this draft as the best among the submissions. Another designer's plan may not be as good as this," Stephanie calmly stated.

Rachel was surprised to see Stephanie defending her. She leaned in closer and whispered, "This is our company's project. We should prioritize the company's interests."

"Of course, our company's interests come first. I'm just presenting the pros and cons to them." Stephanie smiled.

Max sipped his coffee, his gaze shifting between Rachel and the design draft. He then glanced at Ivonne without uttering a word.

"I don't like this designer's work. I have the final say on this project. If you don't change the designer, I'll have no choice but to cancel our collaboration. The decision is yours." Ivonne remained unyielding, her makeup-laden eyes fixed on Rachel.

Chapter 44 – "Business, Rivalry, and a Mischievous Encounter"

Stephanie wore an expression of frustration, her rosy lips pursed as she reluctantly set aside the design draft. She rose from her seat and nodded, saying, "Alright, let's go back and revisit this. I apologize for bothering both of you."

As they stepped into the elevator, Stephanie turned to Rachel with a puzzled look. "What happened in there? Did you somehow offend that woman?"

Rachel found herself at a loss for words, knowing that the history between her and the Daley family was anything but straightforward. "Well," she began with a weary sigh, "that's a long story."

Stephanie massaged her temples and raised an eyebrow gracefully. "I never imagined you could rub someone the wrong way. Your kind and gentle nature is what I've always admired."

A smile graced Rachel's lips. "Ms. Miller, since they're not receptive to my designs, why don't we consider using someone else's?"

"Indeed, that seems to be the only option. We're left with no choice." Stephanie rubbed her sore shoulder and continued, "Dealing with such a vindictive client who can't separate their personal grudges from business is really unfortunate. You go back to the office first; I'll meet another client."

Rachel nodded, appreciating Stephanie's dedication to her work.

As the elevator doors opened, the two women exited, one after the other. However, just before Rachel could leave the building, she spotted Ivonne approaching with a mischievous smile.

Rachel's demeanor turned cold.

"Are you upset?" Ivonne mocked. "I haven't banned you from the industry yet." She continued, "A woman's success or failure often depends on finding the right man. Max is not only handsome but also the CEO of this company. You, on the other hand, are destined for a life of servitude and mediocrity."

Rachel couldn't help but chuckle at Ivonne's childish remarks. "Banning me from the industry? We'll see about that. By the way, what happened to your previous boyfriend? Is that why you've moved on to a new one?"

Ivonne examined her perfectly manicured nails, blowing on them casually. "His company isn't doing well. I suspect it will go bankrupt soon, so I dumped him. You see, only a perfect man deserves to be with me."

Rachel couldn't resist a witty comeback. "Oh my, your current boyfriend should be cautious. You seem to have a history of misfortune with your exes. Your first boyfriend's family went bankrupt, and you dumped him. The second one had a serious illness, and you dumped him too. The third's parents got arrested, and guess what? You dumped him as well. It appears that anyone who dates you falls into deep trouble."

"Are you calling me a jinx?" Ivonne shouted, heedless of their surroundings.

Rachel simply replied, "Yes," before pushing past Ivonne and leaving the building without further engagement.

As the evening descended, painting the sky with hues of red, Rachel stood on her balcony, cradling a mug of coffee in her hands. She hadn't moved since returning home.

Dominic opened the glass door and joined her on the balcony. "What's on your mind? Everything okay?" He rested his hand on the railing, gazing into the distance.

Rachel turned to him, her face softening as if he were a beautiful piece of art. "It's just work stuff."

Seeing her reluctance to share more, Dominic shook his head with a smile. "Seems like you still consider me an outsider. You don't want to talk to me about it."

"No, it's not that..." Rachel hesitated for a moment before finally opening up about Ivonne's rejection and the reasons behind it.

Dominic listened attentively and then looked into the distance, determination in his expression. "She won't remain arrogant for long. Don't worry."

Rachel replied with gratitude, albeit with a hint of skepticism. She suspected Dominic's words were meant to console her.

Regardless, her situation was far from ideal. Ivonne undoubtedly had more tricks up her sleeve, but for now, Rachel focused on preserving her job.

Upon their return from ChromaWorld Company, Stephanie had opted for another designer's drafts.

The following day, Stephanie convened a meeting to make the announcement. "ChromaWorld Company has approved another designer's drafts. Great work, everyone. You've put in a lot of effort, so coffee and desserts are on me. Order whatever you like. Additionally, there will be another meeting tomorrow, where a representative from ChromaWorld Company will discuss detailed project plans. You are all expected to attend. Be punctual."

One colleague whispered to Rachel after the meeting, "Whoever is making decisions at ChromaWorld Company must have terrible taste. Your designs are much better."

Rachel had anticipated this outcome to some extent. It didn't make seeing her hard work go to waste any less disappointing, but she concealed her frustration behind a smile. "Perhaps they just have a different taste."

"What a shame," the colleague sighed. "I thought this could be your big break."

The meeting with ChromaWorld Company representatives proceeded as planned, with Ivonne representing the company in person.

Stephanie inquired calmly, her gaze fixed on Ivonne, "Are you satisfied with the designs this time?"

Ivonne replied, "Yes, I'm quite pleased. This designer is sure to make a mark in the industry. I'd like to meet her and explore future collaborations."

Ivonne examined the portfolio, the massive diamond ring on her finger catching the sunlight as she flipped through the drafts.

Chapter 45 "Fashion's Folly: Clash of Egos and Unexpected Savior"

“Thank you for your kind words.” The young designer in question tucked her hair behind her ear and stood up.

Though immensely gratified, she couldn’t help the pang of guilt that tightened her chest. Even she had always thought that Rachel’s designs were outstanding, and far better than hers.

“Why are you thanking me? You achieved this with your talents. The previous design that was presented to me was a far cry from this. That one was out of date and boring. There was nothing special about it at all. I couldn’t believe someone had wasted ink and paper on such pathetic scribbles. In fact, I don’t understand why your department had taken in such a person in the first place.”

Ivonne tossed the papers back to the folder and took a sip of coffee. Her movements caused her Chanel bracelet to clink against her Cartier watch.

Everyone turned silent and threw surreptitious glances at Rachel. It was clear to them that Ivonne was purposely insulting her.

Rachel only clutched her skirt and lowered her eyes, saying nothing.

She was painfully aware of the fact that Ivonne was here to humiliate her in front of other people.

But she was now their client, and if Rachel defended herself, it would only make things worse.

She could feel her cheeks grow hot, but she did her best to keep her temper.

“I’m talking about you, Miss Daley,” Ivonne snapped all of a sudden.

Her tone was sharp and biting, especially after seeing that Rachel wasn’t reacting to her barbs.

Ivonne wanted the woman to be humiliated in public and flee the design business for good.

Just then, a knock came at the door.

Before anyone could do or say anything, Kristian opened the door and walked into the room.

“Ah. Excuse me, but who are you?” he asked Ivonne coldly. “I’m pretty sure that you’re not the person in charge of the design department over at ChromaWorld Company. What are you doing in this meeting?”

Ivonne’s nostrils flared. “I am the girlfriend of Max Anderson, the CEO of ChromaWorld Company,” she declared haughtily.

Kristian only raised an eyebrow before striding to the head of the table. When he sat down, his demeanor had turned serious. “And what position do you hold at ChromaWorld Company, exactly?”

Embarrassed, Ivonne put down her coffee cup and said, “I hold no position for the time being.”

Her goal was to marry into a rich and powerful family. Why would she work for any company? The only reason why she was involved in this project in the first place, was because she had seduced Max into letting her do so.

Kristian pushed his glasses against the bridge of his nose. “Your relationship with Mr. Anderson is your private matter, but this collaboration project is a business affair between two companies. You’re just his girlfriend. You are in no position to determine which designs are going to be used, let alone slander our employees and our company.”

Ivonne flushed, humiliated.

Who the hell was this man? How could he insult her in public like this?

The more she looked at him, the more he seemed familiar. Ivonne thought that she had seen him in a magazine before, but she couldn’t quite put her finger on it.

Nevertheless, she shot up to her feet and glowered at him. “You have offended me greatly. You can rest assured that I will be telling Max about this. You can say goodbye to this damn collaboration once and for all.”

Kristian sneered at her, unfazed. “Be my guest.”

He had to admit that he was quite taken aback by this woman’s arrogance and profound stupidity. He couldn’t believe that Max Anderson, who was a reputable CEO by his own right, had such terrible taste in paramours.

Gritting her teeth, Ivonne grabbed her purse and stormed out of the conference room.

Just as she said, she headed directly to Max’s place.

Where else would she go? She had complaints to air out.

“Max! Are you aware that the people at Porter Group are nothing but bullies? They actually kicked me out! And that man wearing glasses actually dared to yell at me in front of everyone! ChromaWorld Company is one of the best clothing companies in the country, but it looks like they don’t take you seriously, honey.”

Ivonne was scantily clad at this point, having shed most of her clothes when she had thrown herself at Max. She clung to his arm now, pressing her breasts against him as she whined coquettishly.

Max was busy playing games on his phone and didn’t even turn to look at her. “Hmm? The man with glasses? Are you talking about Kristian?”

“You know that guy? Do you think you can make the Porter Group fire him? He insulted me in public. I was so mortified!” Ivonne looked up at him angrily.

In hindsight, Ivonne realized that her mockery of Rachel was nowhere near enough to make up for the insults she herself had taken.

Max gaped at her. Apparently, his girlfriend was a very ignorant woman. The Higgins family was one of the four great families in the city, and its three recent generations comprised of corporate geniuses.

Not to mention, the Porter Group was a conglomerate of an overwhelming scale, and Kristian was the second-in-command. In contrast, Max was merely the CEO of a local business. How was he supposed to get Kristian fired?

“I don’t have the power to cancel the project, and Kristian is not just some small-time nobody. I can’t touch him. Very few people can.”

“I don’t care how you do it, but you must find a way to keep this project from happening!” Ivonne wailed. “And I want to make that man disappear from the Porter Group for good!”

She had already made threats of canceling the project in a bid to throw shade at Rachel. If she failed in seeing this through, on top of having to flee with her tail between her legs, Ivonne might have no face to show anyone in the future.

This time, Max scowled. Although Ivonne was haughty and reckless at times, he had truly thought that she still had some sense in her. Now, she was simply being unreasonable. He didn’t care for it at all.

“Well, let me think about it,” he muttered begrudgingly.

No sooner had he uttered the words than his phone began to ring. “I have to get that,” he said, gesturing for Ivonne to be quiet.

Max got out of bed and answered the call while putting his bathrobe on.

Chapter 46 – "Designing Chaos: When Love and Business Collide"

“Max, what’s going on with the collaboration project? Kristian Higgins from the Porter Group called me in person.”

It was the chairman of the group of companies he worked for, demanding an explanation.

Max was rooted to the spot. Why would Kristian call over something so trivial? Was there something he didn’t know?

“Don’t worry, sir. I will fix the problems and handle it well.”

But the chairman already sounded furious. “What the hell are you going to fix, huh? Do you think you still have something to handle after this? Let me ask you one question—did you or did you not let your girlfriend stick her nose into our business with the Porter Group?”

The chairman’s question shocked Max. He walked to the sofa and slumped down, feeling helpless.

“Sir, please listen to my explanation. I did ask my girlfriend to evaluate the design drafts. But…”

He had involved Ivonne in the decision-making process, just to please her, thinking it wouldn’t be a big deal. However, he didn’t expect the chairman of the company to find out about it. Max broke into a cold sweat and didn’t dare to deny his mistake.

“Max, how could you make a mistake at this critical moment? After a lot of hard work, our company has finally managed to collaborate with the Porter Group. Don’t you know the design resources of the Porter Group have been outstanding in recent years? I had planned to take advantage of the collaboration this time to develop the ChromaWorld Company into a domestic preeminent modest luxury brand. We can’t make any mistakes. Do you understand?” The chairman was furious.

Max took a deep breath and said, “Please give me one last chance. I will undo all the mistakes.”

“What can you do? I saw the design drafts the Porter Group had submitted. The first design was obviously better, but your girlfriend rejected it. Pleasing your girlfriend had clouded your decision. You were stupid. Our collaboration with the Porter Group is more important than anything else. How dare you allow her to make the decision?”

The chairman reprimanded Max. Max bit his lip and didn’t dare to retort. All he could do was apologize over and over again. After all, it was indeed his fault.

“I’m sorry, sir. It’s all my fault. I was too stupid… What has the Porter Group decided?”

Max had an inkling the chairman wouldn’t easily let go of him because of the magnitude of his mistake.

The chairman was so angry that he shouted, “They asked us to deal with it and get back to them by the end of the day. The Porter Group is not to be trifled with. I don’t know if Mr. Porter himself has heard about it or not. I’ve already told Mr. Higgins that you should be demoted first for putting us in such a situation.”

With that, the chairman hung up the phone.

Max clenched the phone, gritting his teeth.

Reaching his current position hadn’t been easy. He had worked hard day and night. Now, he had lost everything he had worked hard to achieve just because of a woman.

Ivonne was sitting aside, dumbfounded.

The chairman had been practically screaming over the phone, and she had heard every word of their conversation.

Max was getting demoted.

“Did you hear that? You idiot, what did you do in the Porter Group today? How did you offend Kristian?” Max was so furious that he slammed the phone on the table.

He picked up the clothes on the floor and threw them at Ivonne’s face. “It’s all your fault. You are the bane of my life! Let’s break up! Get out of here!”

“What did you say?” Ivonne’s face reddened with rage. “When I said I wanted to see the design, you agreed. But now, you’re blaming me for everything. Man up, you fucking loser!”

She was used to dumping men — not once has anyone dumped her. It was a matter of her prestige.

“Fuck off!” Looking at the woman sprawled on the bed, Max stood up and opened the door.

“Max, you bastard! How dare you dump me?!” Ivonne screamed.

“What the hell? You’re not going to leave? Well, I won’t be polite to you anymore.” Max sneered at her. Then, he grabbed Ivonne’s arm and dragged her out of the bed.

“Fuck! It hurts! Let go of me, Max! This is not done! When I find a better boyfriend, I will take my revenge on you. I will…”

Before Ivonne could finish her words, Max pushed her out of the door.

He threw the clothes on her and sneered. “You bitch! I don’t give a damn. You’ve been with countless men in the past. No one will take you seriously. They just want to fuck you!”

With that, he slammed the door shut.

Ivonne was half-naked when Max pushed her out of the door. She hurriedly put on her clothes as people looked her up and down, whispering to each other, pointing at her.

This was the biggest humiliation in Ivonne’s life. She put on her crumpled dress and angrily kicked the door. “Max! Remember what you said today!”

Then, she turned around and stomped out in a huff.

The next day, as soon as Rachel walked into the company, Stephanie called her into her office.

Rachel swallowed nervously. She couldn’t tell if Stephanie believed what Ivonne had said yesterday.

“Daley, your design was approved by the ChromaWorld Company. Go ahead and prepare for the project with them.” Stephanie spoke briskly, not even glancing up at Rachel when she entered her office.

“What? But they criticized me and my work yesterday. How could they change their mind overnight?” Rachel’s jaw nearly dropped to the ground.

Plus, what with the arrogant way Ivonne acted yesterday, Rachel was under the impression that Stephanie had called her into her office to fire her.

“Why are you so surprised? They’re not blind. Anyone could see that your design was way better than the second proposal. It’s obvious that the representative from the ChromaWorld Company didn’t know what they were talking about and only rejected your design because she holds a grudge against you. Anyway, Mr. Higgins contacted their chairman and now, their CEO has been demoted. So your design plan has been re-adopted and the cooperation between us two parties can proceed smoothly. Any more questions?” Finally, Stephanie looked up from the document she was reading and smiled at Rachel encouragingly.

Dumbfounded, Rachel shook her head slowly.

Chapter 47 – "Uncomfortable Interrogations: A Brewing Storm of Suspicion"

“Oh, no, no. I’m just surprised. Thanks for telling me, Ms. Miller. I’ll go back to my work.” When Rachel came to her senses, she smiled sheepishly and excused herself.

Truth be told, she wasn’t happy per se. She just felt confused. In her eyes, the cooperation wasn’t that crucial, so why did Kristian need to interfere?

Seeing that she was about to leave, Stephanie raised her eyebrows and seemed to have read her mind. “I didn’t think that Mr. Higgins would get involved in this matter. You two seem to be… on good terms. Did you know him before you joined the company?”

So, it turned out that it wasn’t just Rachel who felt that something was off.

“Oh, no. Actually, I’ve only met Mr. Higgins twice.” Rachel shook her head and waved her hands dismissively.

When she got back to her desk, she couldn’t seem to concentrate on her work.

It was really unorthodox—unreasonable even—for a deputy CEO like Kristian to keep standing up for her.

Things didn’t happen for no reason in this world.

Could it be that Kristian was interested in her just like Nikolas?

“Daley, why the long face? Did Miller give you an earful?” A colleague sitting next to Rachel poked her arm with a pen.

“Huh? Oh, no. I just have a stomachache… Hilda, would you know if Mr. Higgins has a girlfriend?” Rachel whispered in her colleague’s ear.

Hilda knew everything that went on in the company, since she was the most gossipy one and was always kept in the loop.

“Well, I guess you could say that. Mr. Higgins might be very good to us employees, but I can’t say I respect his private life. You know how rich men are with open relationships. He probably has a girlfriend, but most likely has more than one. At least, that’s what those gossip magazines say,” Hilda whispered back, her eyes twinkling with interest. “Why? Do you have a crush on him? Oh, my dear, this kind of man doesn’t suit you.”

“No! I mean, I was just curious. You’re overthinking.” Rachel adamantly shook her head. She was a married woman after all.

She was just worried that she’d be sexually harassed again, like what had happened with Nikolas back then.

After mulling it over, Rachel decided she needed to get to the bottom of this.

If it turned out that Kristian liked her, she’d have no choice but to leave the Porter Group.

After all, she couldn’t afford to offend someone as powerful as Kristian.

She plucked up the courage and sent him a private message through the work chat group.

“Mr. Higgins, are you free to talk? There was something I wanted to ask you.”

“Of course. What is it, Daley?” Kristian replied in a friendly tone.

For some reason, Rachel got goose bumps when she read his reply. She quickly gathered her design drawings and went up to the thirty-first floor.

From such a height, the scenery down was breathtaking. One could easily see the entirety of the city from the floor-to-ceiling windows. There were two meeting rooms and two offices on this floor. The door to the largest room was covered by a white curtain. A sign that said “Braden Porter” in grand, gold lettering hung outside the door. As she walked past it, Rachel heard a faint, low voice from inside.

Finally, she made it to Kristian’s door. She raised her hand and knocked politely.

“Come in,” Kristian’s voice sounded promptly.

“Good morning, Mr. Higgins.”

When Kristian saw her come in, he immediately stood up and smiled. “Daley! Welcome. Come and take a seat. What can I do for you?”

After a moment’s hesitation, Rachel sat down stiffly. “Mr. Higgins, I heard that my design was re-adopted by the ChromaWorld Company. Thank you for your help.”

“No need to thank me. It was no big deal.” Kristian waved his hand dismissively then proceeded to pour piping hot tea into a cup.

Unbeknownst to Rachel, it was her husband who pulled the strings. This matter actually had nothing to do with Kristian.

“Hmm, there is one more thing I wanted to talk to you about…”

“What’s up? You can talk to me about anything.” Seeing how uneasy she looked, Kristian tried to coax it out of her gently.

Closing her eyes, Rachel plucked up her courage and finally blurted, “Mr. Higgins, do you have a crush on me?”

“What?” Kristian was scared out of his wits.

His hands trembled, and the teacup fell to the floor. He sprang up from the sofa and peeked out of the room to see if Dominic was outside.

Then, he looked at Rachel and shook his head vehemently, “No, I absolutely do not have a crush on you. Don’t talk nonsense! I did everything for the company. And for Mr. Porter!”

“Well… Mr. Higgins, it was just a casual question. I…” Startled by his reaction, Rachel quickly stood up too. “Are you okay, Mr. Higgins?”

Kristian quickly stepped back to keep a safe distance from her as if she were a dreadful monster. Sweat beaded his forehead.

“I’m fine. Don’t come near me. Stay away! Although only the two of us are in this room, there’s a third pair of eyes watching us.”

With that, he opened the door and stormed out of the room. He didn’t dare to stay in the same room with Rachel anymore.

Kristian completely forgot that this was his own office.

Rachel frowned, her eyes still fixed on the door, dumbfounded by his reaction.

She had thought about it a lot before coming here but didn’t expect Kristian would react this way.

Even if her guess was wrong, he should have either yelled at her or laughed at her for being stupid. But he was strangely scared, which seemed to confuse Rachel.

‘What did he mean? Is there something scary and horrible about me?’

she wondered, rubbing her hair. Not knowing what else to do, Rachel let out a weary sigh and walked out of the office in confusion.

She couldn’t understand what was going on.

After Kristian left his office, he rushed out to see Dominic.

“Did she come to your office? I thought I heard her voice now.” Dominic asked in his usual magnetic voice. The sunlight cast a soft glow on his body, outlining his features. His face looked stern.

Kristian looked at Dominic, who was wearing a suit, leaning against the black leather sofa, reading the documents. A shiver ran down his spine.

“Buddy, I have to tell you something.”

Dominic was aware of everything happening in the company. Therefore, Kristian felt he’d rather tell the truth before he found out himself.

Kristian took off his glasses and rubbed his eyebrows, choosing his words.

Dominic stopped reading, and his sharp gaze fell on Kristian. “Well?”

“Your wife just came in and asked me if I had a crush on her,” Kristian hissed through his teeth, clenching his fists as if someone was going to kill him.

Dominic’s face darkened in an instant. He leaned against the sofa and studied Kristian’s face. “What did you do to her?”

Chapter 48 – "Chatting with the CEO: Secrets and Surprises"

“What can I do to her? I’m innocent.” Kristian lifted his hands, shaking his head. Then, he quickly walked up to the sofa and sat beside Dominic. “I only did what you asked me to do. I didn’t expect her to misunderstand me. Trust me, I have nothing to do with her. But think about it; I’ve been helping her time and again. It’s only natural for her to think I’m interested in her.”

Dominic closed the file in his hand and sneered. “Wow! That’s great! I did everything, but you got the credit.”

“That’s because she has never seen you here. I have been standing up for her every time she has encountered a problem. Look, I don’t want things to be this way either.” Kristian shook his head and put on his glass.

“Don’t put me through anything like this again. Even if I’m required to help her, I have to do it on behalf of Mr. Porter. Otherwise, she will continue to misunderstand me.”

Dominic pursed his lips and stared into the distance. After a moment’s thought, he realized Kristian was right. Things couldn’t go on this way. He had been Rachel’s secret savior and helped her every time she encountered a problem, but he didn’t get any gratitude from her in return. She always thought someone else had helped her.

Dominic had to find a solution.

In a daze, Rachel trudged back to her desk.

“Hilda, Mr. Higgins wouldn’t make a huge fuss out of us employees, would he?” Rachel whispered to her colleague, her voice riddled with anxiety.

“Nah, I don’t think so. After all, a boss should be open-minded. But maybe he’s capable of making mountains out of molehills. Who knows? I can’t read minds.”

Hilda’s cryptic answer only served to make Rachel even more uneasy. What if she had offended Kristian?

The next day, when Rachel rushed to work, she ran into Kristian at the gate of the company.

Eyes darting around nervously, she managed to pluck up the courage to approach him to apologize. “Mr. Higgins, excuse me. About what happened yesterday…”

But before she could finish her sentence, when Kristian saw her approaching, he immediately turned around and rushed back inside the car. He shouted at the driver anxiously, “Go! Get me out of here! Hurry!”

Rachel’s steps faltered as she watched the car zoom off. She was speechless.

When she sat down at her desk, Rachel felt so dejected that she lowered her head to her table and muttered, “Hilda, I think my career’s over.”

Kristian didn’t even want to see her. He was probably so offended.

With a sandwich in her mouth, Hilda handed Rachel a bottle of milk. “Don’t talk like that. Ms. Miller might hear you and give you an earful.”

“Oh, thanks.” Rachel gratefully accepted the milk. “You’re too mean. I think Ms. Miller’s a good person.”

As Rachel turned on her computer and checked her inbox, a notification suddenly popped up in the work group chat.

“Braden Porter sent you a friend request.”

What the hell?!

Startled, Rachel nearly choked on the milk she was drinking.

Braden was the ever-elusive CEO of the Porter Group.

How the heck did she fall under his radar? Braden’s position was even higher than that of Kristian!

Worse yet was the fact that the request was sent last night.

Mind whirling, Rachel cautiously accepted Braden’s request. It had been hours since he had sent the request. Would the CEO think that she was arrogant?

Rachel hurriedly typed, “Good morning, Mr. Porter. I’m sorry. I went to bed early last night, so I didn’t see your request until just now.”

As Dominic was pouring over the financial statements of the new quarter, his phone suddenly buzzed.

When he saw the text, he couldn’t help but smile and started typing out a reply.

“I see. The company is currently running an investigation on its senior executives. Has Kristian Higgins harassed you in any way?”

When Rachel read this, alarms went off in her mind.

Did Braden know that she had gone to Kristian’s office yesterday?

But Kristian had done the opposite of harassment. At the mere sight of her, Kristian had turned around and ran just now, as if he had seen a ghost.

Frowning slightly, Rachel answered, “No, I rarely interact with Mr. Higgins.”

Braden then asked, “You’ve been working in the Porter Group for a while now. How’s the experience? If you encounter any problems, just tell me. I’ve seen your designs, and I think you have great potential.”

Rachel’s heart skipped a beat. This was the Braden Porter of the Porter Group. The CEO had noticed her, a faceless employee amidst a hundred others.

She replied obsequiously, “Thank you for your praise, Mr. Porter. I will do my best for the sake of the company.”

“What’s your plan for the future in terms of your career?”

Rachel hastily replied to express her loyalty to the company. “I enjoy it here with the Porter Group and would be honored if I could grow here. If I can, I’d like to spearhead projects in the future. That way, I can learn a lot more.”

“Okay. I won’t disturb you anymore.”

After that, Braden didn’t say anything more. Minutes ticked by, but Rachel didn’t receive any more notifications, so she closed the chat window.

The CEO’s words were so concise yet impactful, which made him look unprecedentedly cool.

“Hey, are you chatting with your boyfriend?” Rachel nearly jumped in her seat when Hilda’s voice suddenly sounded right next to her ear.

“What—? Of course not!” she immediately refuted, slapping her laptop shut. After a moment of thought, she asked in a low voice, “Have you ever seen Mr. Porter?”

Their CEO was so mysterious that, although he was a well-known public figure, nobody knew what he even looked like. There were no pictures of him anywhere.

“Not exactly… But one time, I went downstairs to buy breakfast and I saw Mr. Higgins with a tall, buff guy. I figured the other man was Mr. Porter. I mean, his back alone had an incredibly domineering aura. Why’d you ask? Have you seen him?” Hilda asked curiously, as to be expected from the most gossipy employee in the company.

“No,” Rachel sighed helplessly.

Shaking her head, she decided to drop the subject and proceeded to work. Perhaps the CEO chatted up random employees as part of his routine…

The following Monday, Rachel showed up at the office with dark circles under her eyes.

Chapter 49 – "Surprising Rewards: A Raise from the CEO"

“Did you spend the weekend in prison? You look terrible,” Hilda commented as she pulled out her chair and sat down, munching on a hot dog.

“The cooperation project I’m handling is moving so fast. I needed to work overtime for two consecutive days,” Rachel drawled and yawned. She was so tired that she felt she would doze off the next second.

“Were you able to finish?”

Leaning on her table, Rachel nodded weakly. “It was finished this morning!”

As the two chatted idly, Stephanie’s voice rang out from behind them. “Daley, please see me in my office.”

In a daze, Rachel raised her head. Hilda shot her a sympathetic look then stuck out her tongue like a little child. “Sounds like you’ll need to revise your drawings. Good luck!”

Barely holding herself together, Rachel trudged into Stephanie’s office.

“You look exhausted. I never thought anyone else here would work harder than me.” Stephanie sipped at her coffee pensively, looking Rachel up and down almost sympathetically. Then, she spread out the design drawings on her desk and said, “The ChromaWorld Company has sent these to the factory already. There’s no need for you to make any modifications. They’re very satisfied with your work. That’s all I wanted to say. You can go back now and take things easy.”

Rachel looked at Stephanie warily and asked slowly, “Is there anything else you wanted to say, Ms. Miller?”

She found it hard to believe that Stephanie just called her in to praise her.

“No. Go back to your desk and take a nap, will you? I’ll pretend that I don’t see you slacking off.” The corners of Stephanie’s red lips lifted, revealing a warm smile.

Then, having dismissed Rachel, she fixed her eyes on the design drawings before her.

After lunch, a notification popped up on Rachel’s computer.

It was Braden. “I heard that you did a good job.”

Rachel read and reread his message, feeling flattered. There were thousands of employees in the Porter Group, and she was just a newbie. How could the news about her work have reached Braden’s ears so soon?

Rachel cautiously replied, “I was just doing my job, Mr. Porter. I’ll do my best to keep contributing to the company.”

Actually, new designers weren’t usually get well-paid. Only Rachel herself knew that if she didn’t enjoy this job, she would’ve long quit.

To her surprise, Braden then said, “We monitor every employee’s output. Given your progress, I’m going to give you a raise.”

“Really?”

Thrilled beyond belief, Rachel lost control of herself and nearly shrieked with excitement.

She had just joined the Porter Group. A raise was the least of her expectations, but it was very much welcome, as it would help her pay for Norma’s medical fees.

Sitting in his brightly-lit office, the man watched the surveillance video from his computer screen, staring at the woman who was snickering at her desk. He couldn’t help but chuckle.

“Have you been working overtime in the past two days?” he asked.

Rachel looked around the office secretly, wondering if the CEO was watching her.

But then she soon realized that the CEO probably had access to the attendance of all the employees.

However, it was still surprising that he would pay special attention to her, an insignificant employee, let alone a newbie.

Rachel shrugged off any feeling of uneasiness and cheered up at the thought of her raise.

She answered, “Yes. I had to work overtime because I needed to finish my design for our client as soon as possible.”

After she sent this message, confusion began to creep on her.

There were thousands of employees in the Porter Group. Why did the CEO personally tell a newcomer that her salary was to be raised? Wasn’t that the HR’s job?

In that moment, Braden seemed to read her mind.

“It’s not yet time for annual evaluation for raises and promotions. Your raise is my special reward for you, which is why I’m the one who’s telling you about it.”

Rachel heaved a sigh of relief and replied, “Thank you, Mr. Porter. I will work harder in the future!”

Then she sent a smiling emoji of good will.

This was her first job. She was so lucky!

And the Porter Group was a huge company, too. Perhaps the boss was willing to shell out a tiny sum in an effort to retain the talented employees.

Without thinking too much, Rachel proceeded to focus on her work.

When it was time to get off work, Rachel was about to turn her laptop off when Braden sent her another message.

“Don’t work overtime today. You have to get proper rest.”

Rachel’s body went stiff.

After what had happened with Kristian, she didn’t dare to even consider the idea that Braden was interested in her. After all, a mysterious big shot like Braden was different from the playboy, Kristian. It was impossible for him to take a fancy to her.

So she decided that perhaps he was just a really considerate boss…

When Rachel came home, she found the apartment empty. Hours ticked by, yet there was still no sign of Dominic.

Finally, at eleven o’clock, Rachel heard the sound the door unlocking. She walked to the door subconsciously.

When the door swung open, she met Dominic’s gaze.

The man looked exhausted. He put away the key and said curiously, “I thought you were exhausted from working overtime. Why aren’t you in bed yet?”

“I got to take things easy today. Anyway, I cooked fish with sweet and sour sauce. Have you had dinner?” She should have been bed by now. For some unknown reason though, Rachel had decided to wait for him tonight. After a moment’s silence, she asked hesitantly, “Why are you so late tonight?”

She had been working overtime the past few days, so she was out of the apartment early and came back late at night. She hadn’t seen Dominic in almost three days.

“Fish with sweet and sour sauce? Sounds great. I haven’t had dinner yet.” Dominic shrugged off his coat and tossed it on the sofa. He picked up the remote control on the table and turned on the TV. The sound of a football match droned on. “The convenience store was restocked today,” he murmured absentmindedly. “I had to help move things.”

“Oh,” said Rachel. Shrugging it off, she walked to the kitchen to prepare the food.

Hearing the sounds of dishes clinking, Dominic followed her to the kitchen and leaned against the door frame. “How’s work?”

Rachel looked up at him, her eyes lighting up excitedly. “I was just about to tell you. Mr. Porter himself told me that he’s going to give me a raise. He thinks I’m a promising designer. Maybe I’ll be rich in the future!”

Chapter 50 – "Jealousy and Passion: A Kiss in the Kitchen"

Dominic surveyed the excitement on her face and asked slowly, “What do you think of Mr. Porter?”

As she stuffed the fish into the microwave oven, Rachel smiled softly. “I think he’s nice and approachable. He cares about his employees. He even told me that I can tell him if I had any problem. Truth be told, I never thought that the CEO of the Porter Group would turn out to be so nice. What was most important was that he wasn’t as arrogant as I thought. He doesn’t put on any airs and he appreciates talent. No wonder the Porter Group is so successful. With such a boss, I think I’ll be willing to work for the Porter Group forever.”

At first, Dominic was pleased to hear her praise Braden so much, but the more he listened, feelings of jealousy stirred in his heart.

Even though he was Braden himself, hearing Rachel praise someone she thought was another man made him a little unhappy.

She had never praised Dominic like this. Didn’t she have a good impression of him as Dominic?

Odd as it may sound, he began to be jealous of himself…

Forcing a smile, Dominic strode over to Rachel and asked sourly, “You haven’t even seen this Braden Porter guy. Why do you speak so highly of him? He has never shown his face to the public. Maybe he’s super ugly.”

Rachel stuck out her lower lip in a pout. She looked up at the man and tried to defend the boss who had just given her a raise. “Don’t be so judgmental. After all, a person’s quality doesn’t depend on their appearance. Besides, when I first went to the Porter Group, I saw a man take the exclusive elevator to the top floor. Later I knew that it was the exclusive elevator for the CEO. So the man I saw was Mr. Porter. His back alone was good-looking, so I doubt he’s ugly.”

Amidst the tense atmosphere, the plate of fish continued to be heated in the microwave oven.

Dominic snickered and looked down at the woman’s parted lips.

Unafraid, Rachel looked back at him defiantly. “Well? What do you have to say to that?”

Instead of arguing with her, the man slipped his arms around her waist and pecked her on the corner of her lips. “Tsk, I’m just a little unhappy. I’m your husband. I can’t just stand still and listen to you praise another man like that!”

“You’re just impossible. How can you get jealous so easily?” Suddenly, Rachel’s face turned hot. She lowered her gaze, unable to look at Dominic anymore. She tried to push him away and pleaded, “Step back. You’re too close.”

She was trapped, being pressed in between Dominic’s large body and the kitchen sink behind her.

Her flustered face made him want to have her even more.

“I have a question.” Dominic’s deep voice came from above her head, his breath rustling her hair slightly.

Clenching his fist, the man cleared his throat and asked in a gruff voice, “Well, between Braden and me, who has the better figure?”

As soon as those words left his lips, Dominic felt incredibly embarrassed.

He knew it was a stupid question, but he just wanted to hear Rachel praise him to his face.

Standing there and thinking for a long time, Rachel stole a glance at Dominic from the corner of her eyes.

For a second, it seemed that his broad figure matched that of the man in the elevator.

“Actually, you have similar builds.”

Dominic frowned. With pursed lips, he muttered, “We can’t be exactly the same.”

“I didn’t get a good look at him. How could I tell who has the better figure?” Rachel asked defensively. His question was too… difficult.

Finally, the microwave oven beeped and the smell of sweet and sour sauce wafted to their noses.

“Okay. The fish is ready.” Dropping her gaze again, Rachel tried to push Dominic away again.

But Dominic took this as an opportunity to grab her hand. His eyes flashing seriously, he said, “It’s not hard. Touch my body and you’ll be able to tell who has the better body.”

Without waiting for a response, he shoved her hand under his T-shirt.

And just like he said, his skin was firm, with distinctly toned muscles bulging out.

Rachel’s eyes went as wide as saucers. She felt as though she touched fire and instinctively tried to pull her hand back, but Dominic was too strong. He pressed her palm forcefully against his abdomen. There was nothing she could do but feel his defined muscles.

If her hand moved any lower, he would have needed to unbuckle his belt.

She shut her eyes tight and her whole body went stiff. Her other hand flew to her face and she quickly turned her face away from him. But it was too late. Dominic could see how red her face was.

“Okay, okay. You have a better figure, even better than those models in the magazines. You’re also tall and handsome. There. Happy now?”

Rachel knew that if she didn’t praise Dominic, he would never let her go.

Sure enough, Dominic finally let go of her hand. His dark eyes clouded over but Rachel couldn’t read his expression. He raised his hand and touched her cheek gently. “Why is your face so red? I’m your husband.”

“No, I…” Rachel gnawed her lower lip, at a loss for words. Before she could say anything, Dominic had scooped her up and onto the kitchen counter.

Surprised, she looked up at the man’s beautiful and deep eyes.

Before she could react, Dominic had already leaned forward and pressed his lips against hers.

His passionate kiss overwhelmed her. She had nowhere to go and nothing to do but part her lips slightly and let him kiss her fiercely.

This wasn’t the first time they kissed, but she still wasn’t used to it.

Dominic’s kiss was too intense, conveying a passion that seemed to want to devour her.

What felt like an eternity passed before he finally pulled away.

He nearly lost control of himself. Fortunately, he had come to his senses before then. Still, he continued to peck on her neck gently.

His palms still rested on her waist, but he didn’t go any further.

“I’m going to bed,” Rachel whispered hoarsely. She twisted her head in an effort to avoid his advances. Her eyes had clouded over in a daze, but her lips were red and swollen.

Dominic rested his forehead against her shoulder to calm himself down. “You just got a raise. Shouldn’t we be celebrating?”

Rachel stared at him blankly. Finally, when she came to her senses, she remembered that Dominic had given her two rings, but she hadn’t given him anything in return yet.

Hey, thanks for reading. I do post on weekdays. Weekends are saved for family.
I understand and I appreciate it alot. And I have been following your threads for a while now and I know that you don't post on weekends. I was just casually asking.

Chapter 51 – "Retail Drama: Unexpected Encounters"

Dominic gently pressed his lips against Rachel's bare neck before retreating with a wink and a playful, "Figure it out yourself. I know you're tired. Go to bed." He then headed to his room to change.

The following day, after work, Rachel decided to visit a nearby shopping mall, located on the city's liveliest commercial street. Inside the mall, an energetic event was in full swing, featuring children performing on stage, cheered on by a lively crowd.

As Rachel navigated the bustling mall, she narrowly avoided being swept away by the throngs of people. Just in the nick of time, a strong hand grabbed her arm, preventing her from being carried away.

Turning to see who had come to her rescue, Rachel found Markus, sporting a denim blue shirt and matching jeans, smiling at her. "Be careful. Otherwise, they might drag you to the stage to perform."

Grateful for his timely intervention, Rachel smiled and smoothed her bangs. "Thank you, Mac. What brings you here?"

"I went to the nearby grocery store to pick up some daily necessities," Markus replied, gesturing towards his bags. "And what about you?"

Rachel blushed as she admitted, "Well, I came to pick up a gift for my husband."

Markus's smile faded momentarily, replaced by a tinge of disappointment that he quickly masked with a forced grin. "Why didn't you bring your husband with you? Do you need my advice?"

Eager for some time alone with Rachel, Markus was willing to help her choose a gift for Dominic, despite any discomfort it might cause him.

Considering that Dominic might not approve of her choice, Rachel thought having a man's perspective could be helpful. After a moment's consideration, she agreed, "Okay. Thank you, Mac."

The two of them ventured into a luxurious leather goods store, where Markus handed Rachel a reddish-brown leather wallet. "The wallets here are quite good. What do you think?"

Rachel's eyes lit up as she admired the wallet. "Yes, I love the color. You've got great taste, Mac."

Markus managed a bitter smile.

Unbeknownst to them, Bridget watched from outside the glass door, having just exited a clothing store across from the leather shop. Her blood ran cold at the sight of Rachel and Markus's seemingly intimate interaction.

'Are they together?' Bridget wondered, her jealousy and resentment intensifying.

Struggling to secure a stable job since her dismissal from the Porter Group, Bridget's life had taken a downturn, fueling her resentment toward Rachel, whom she believed had thwarted her promising future.

A surge of bile rose within her as she witnessed Rachel and Markus enjoying their shopping excursion.

Bridget perceived Rachel as a seductress who had ensnared Markus's affections after joining the Porter Group.

As Rachel and Markus deliberated over wallets, Bridget's voice interrupted them. "Hi! What a surprise to run into you two here!"

Rachel mustered a polite smile. "Bridget! Long time no see."

Markus, unfamiliar with Bridget, greeted her with a polite "Hello."

Bridget extended an invitation, saying, "Would you like to have dinner with me? We haven't caught up in ages. After all, we used to be schoolmates. And Daley, I want to apologize for the misunderstandings between us."

Bridget shook her head sadly and glanced around, hinting that she had no intention of leaving.

Rachel, aware of Bridget's insincerity, smiled politely and declined, "No, I'm going home for dinner."

She knew her relationship with Bridget was far from amicable.

Markus, always forthright, stated, "Bridget, I don't think we're close enough to have dinner together."

Bridget's face reddened with embarrassment, and she fell silent.

With that, Rachel and Markus decided to leave the wallets and exit the store. However, as soon as Rachel approached the door, the anti-theft sensor flashed red and began to beep loudly, startling everyone in the vicinity.

Chapter 52 – "The Accidental Accusation"

"Excuse me, Miss, please hold on!" The store manager hurried over and blocked Rachel's path, drawing the attention of everyone in the store.

"Is she a shoplifter?"

"She doesn't seem like one..."

Rachel furrowed her brow, puzzled and slightly annoyed. She hadn't taken anything and had walked past the door twice. "Why is the alarm going off? Is it malfunctioning?"

"Miss, have you inadvertently taken something without realizing it?" The manager asked with a polite smile.

Rachel tilted her head and replied calmly, "No."

However, the alarm continued to blare.

With an embarrassed look, the manager leaned in closer and whispered, "Miss, please be honest with us, or we may have to conduct a search."

Just then, Bridget strolled over.

"Hey, what's that in your pocket?" Bridget feigned astonishment, pointing at the pocket of Rachel's coat.

Rachel frowned and reached into her pocket, finding a wallet. To her surprise, she pulled it out.

Bridget, wearing a puzzled expression, pointed to an empty spot on the shelf and said to the manager, "Look over there. Is there a missing wallet?"

The manager examined the wallet in Rachel's hand, his expression turning disdainful. "Yes, that's the most expensive wallet we have."

Bridget put on a smug act and said, "I always thought those rumors about you were baseless, but it seems our classmates were right. Why resort to theft now?"

Rachel stared at Bridget, bewildered. She had no idea how the wallet had ended up in her pocket.

She slammed the wallet onto the counter and asserted, "I didn't take this. I've never stolen anything in my life. Stop tarnishing my reputation. If you doubt me, check the store's security camera footage."

"Yes, check the footage. My friend has always been honest and upright. She would never do something like this." Markus stood by Rachel, unwavering.

Annoyed, Bridget crossed her arms. "Markus, you must have heard the rumors about her in college. She's not as innocent as you think."

"Bridget, unlike you, I don't jump to conclusions based on rumors." Markus's normally gentle eyes turned stern.

"Then let's see the security camera footage!" Bridget snorted and fell silent.

The logical step was to check the security cameras, so the manager rushed off to review the footage. Unfortunately, in the video, Rachel and Markus were obscured by Bridget's body, making it impossible to determine whether Rachel had taken the wallet or not.

Bridget smirked. "Just admit it. Did you steal the wallet?"

Rachel furrowed her brow. "The footage doesn't prove anything. Why are you so keen on accusing me? Perhaps you're the one who planted the wallet in my pocket to frame me."

Bridget's nostrils flared, and she widened her eyes. To cover her tracks, she raised her voice and pointed at Rachel. "Don't you dare accuse me! The wallet was found in your pocket, so clearly, you're the thief!"

"Bridget, how many times do we need to say that the footage doesn't show Rachel stealing anything? Stop trying to frame her." Markus looked at her coldly and added, "I know she didn't steal the wallet."

Bridget had hoped to paint Rachel as a thief to make Markus dislike her. Now, with Markus defending Rachel, Bridget was seething.

"Markus, how well do you really know Rachel? Maybe she's not the angel you think she is. There were plenty of rumors about her in college, and her classmates wouldn't have made them up for no reason. Plus, now she's trying to pin this on me. You heard it yourself!" Bridget's voice grew shrill, making her appear genuinely convinced of her claims.

Rachel clenched her fists and through gritted teeth, said, "You were the one who started those rumors. It's been years; aren't we supposed to be more mature now? Haven't you grown up?"

At the time, Rachel had ignored what Bridget did because they were about to graduate, and she didn't want to be bothered with such trivial matters.

"How dare you accuse me of starting those rumors? Do you have any proof?" Bridget couldn't help but snicker at Rachel's naivety. It had been years since they graduated; even if Bridget had spread the rumors, Rachel had no evidence.

Furthermore, the video didn't show Bridget deliberately framing Rachel.

All the onlookers in the store observed the unfolding drama with great interest. Since the wallet had been found in Rachel's pocket, she was naturally the prime suspect.

"But she's so elegant. I would've never thought she'd steal!"

"They say appearances can be deceiving."

Hearing the whispers, Markus raised his head and loudly cleared his throat. "This matter hasn't been properly investigated yet. Don't rush to conclusions."

The manager couldn't simply let Rachel off the hook. "According to store policy, if you're caught stealing, you must pay ten times the value of the stolen item. The wallet was found in your possession. You must reimburse us, or we'll have to involve the police."

Rachel looked at him, speechless.

She gripped her bag tightly, her knuckles turning white. Suddenly, she spotted something in the corridor outside the store.

Turning around, she smirked confidently. "Alright, call the police."

Bridget's eyes widened in disbelief. Smirking, she said arrogantly, "It seems you can't afford to pay for it, which is probably why you resorted to theft, you poor thing."

Bridget was practically ecstatic. If Rachel got arrested for shoplifting, her career would be ruined.

Bridget's words further tarnished Rachel's reputation.

"I'm asking the manager to call the police precisely because I didn't steal the wallet! Why should I pay ten times the item's price? I'll wait for the police to handle this." Rachel's voice was resolute, confident, and devoid of fear.

But Bridget remained unfazed. She was convinced that Rachel would end up behind bars. Seeing Rachel stand her ground, Bridget couldn't help but sneer in satisfaction.

Recognizing that the situation was escalating, Markus decided it was time to intervene.

He pulled Rachel aside and whispered, "How about this? I'll pay for it. The Porter Group cares about its reputation. If this incident gets out, you might lose your job. Besides, the wallet was found in your pocket. If the police get involved, you could end up in jail."

Chapter 53 – "Caught on Camera: A Wallet's Witty Reveal"

"Mac, I swear I didn't take the wallet. Agreeing to pay ten times its price would make me look guilty, right?" Rachel said composedly, her voice devoid of panic.

Bridget eavesdropped from the sidelines, convinced that Rachel's refusal of Markus's money stemmed from pride. She couldn't fathom how Rachel thought the police would prove her innocence.

The wallet had been discovered in Rachel's pocket, and the store's security camera had failed to capture the actual events. In the absence of concrete evidence, Rachel was the default suspect.

Bridget's excitement couldn't be contained any longer, and she implored the shop manager to call the police immediately. "The thief won't be able to pay. You're wasting time if you don't call the police now."

The shop manager concurred and summoned the authorities. Soon, two uniformed officers entered the shop.

Bridget wasted no time running up to them, pulling Rachel along. "Officer, she's the one who stole from this store, but she won't admit it."

"Hold on a moment. I'd like you to review the security camera footage. I have evidence that I didn't steal the wallet; I was framed," Rachel said confidently, a hint of a smile playing on her lips.

Bridget squinted at her, chuckling as though she'd heard a dirty joke. "What's your angle? Didn't we just check the store's security footage?"

"I'm not referring to this shop's security camera. I mean the ones in the shopping mall corridor," Rachel suddenly turned and pointed to the security cameras just outside the store.

The shop's front was made of glass to attract more customers, allowing the corridor's security cameras to capture what occurred inside through the transparent walls.

"Please review the mall's security cameras. The footage from that angle should vindicate me," Rachel requested calmly, a sly grin tugging at her lips.

"Don't listen to her! She's probably stalling for time, planning to escape when you're not looking!" Rachel's composed explanation sent Bridget into a panic. Her face drained of color as she desperately tried to convince the officers.

After all, she was the one who had slipped the wallet into Rachel's pocket, exploiting the store's security camera blind spot. She hadn't considered the mall's security cameras. If her actions had been caught on video, she was in serious trouble.

"Bridget, I'm simply asking the police to check the mall's security cameras. Why are you so afraid?" Rachel looked at her with feigned sympathy, though a dangerous glint flickered in her eyes.

Flustered, Bridget struggled to keep her composure. "If the thief isn't scared, why should I be?"

As requested, the police promptly reviewed the mall's security footage.

Everyone held their breath, their eyes glued to the computer screen, wondering what Rachel's next move would be. After all, the wallet had been found in her pocket.

While the footage was somewhat pixelated, it clearly showed Bridget standing next to Rachel, covertly removing the wallet from the shelf and slipping it into Rachel's coat pocket, all under the cover of her body.

What an unexpected turn of events!

Bridget stared at the computer screen in disbelief.

"Bridget, some things never change. You always bring trouble to others," Rachel sneered.

"I didn't... It's...," Bridget stammered. She finally realized why Rachel had been adamant about not accepting compensation and insisted on involving the police.

Without police involvement, Bridget could have resolved the issue privately by paying the shop manager, even if her wallet-flicking scheme had been exposed.

However, the arrival of the police escalated the situation, making a private resolution impossible.

Markus shook his head in disappointment. He hadn't expected Bridget to stoop so low. "Bridget, was it you?"

The irrefutable evidence pointed directly at Bridget.

No matter how hard she tried, Bridget couldn't escape the consequences. She hung her head in shame, unable to conjure an excuse. "I... I didn't mean for this to happen," she attempted to explain.

But Rachel knew she was lying. Bridget was bluffing in a desperate bid to escape her predicament.

Rachel averted her gaze from Bridget; the woman was a hopeless liar.

The police wasted no time restraining Bridget. "You're suspected of theft and false accusation. Please come with us."

Bridget took a step back, trying to defend herself. "No, I won't go with you. I can compensate tenfold for the wallet's value. Please don't take me away."

"You're a suspect in a criminal case. Compensation won't suffice now. This is a matter for the police, and the complainants have no intention of letting you off the hook," a stern policeman declared.

Hearing this, Bridget grabbed Rachel's hand and pleaded, "Rachel, can you forgive me just this once? Have some mercy. I know I messed up, but I promise never to harm you again."

"You tried tarnishing my reputation at the Porter Group before and now attempted to frame me for theft. Why should I forgive you?" Rachel asked calmly.

If she didn't teach Bridget a lesson, the woman would continue to harass her.

"Officer, you can proceed according to the law."

Bridget sneered, her eyes burning with anger. "Why are you so heartless? It's all because of you! I won't let you get away with this!"

Her words dripped with malice. Rachel shrugged, indifferent to Bridget's outburst.

"I never had any intention of harming you. But you've made my life difficult since college. Bridget, it's time for some self-reflection. Consider your actions carefully. Don't even think about bothering me again. The consequences will be worse than this."

Rachel scoffed at Bridget and left the shop with her bag.

Markus followed her, guiltily lowering his gaze.

"I'm sorry. It's all my fault. I remember Bridget confessing her love for me before. Has she been causing you trouble because of that?"

The setting sun cast a gentle glow on Rachel. She shook her head and sighed. "Don't blame yourself, Mac. Bridget is unstable. Besides, you already rejected her back in college. It's not your fault."

"Do you want me to continue helping you with the gift?" Markus asked tentatively.

Rachel checked her phone; it was nearly seven in the evening. "Forget it." She waved her hand dismissively. "You should head home. I'll look around."

Before Markus could respond, Rachel dashed off hastily.

Chapter 54 – "A Belt of Surprises"

As the clock struck nine in the evening, Rachel finally made her way back home, a shopping bag in tow. Her mission had taken her to several men's clothing stores, all in pursuit of the perfect outfit for Dominic. Alas, she found herself at a disadvantage - she had no idea about his size. Thus, her shopping expedition culminated in the purchase of a belt.

Dominic set aside his documents on the table and cast an inquisitive gaze at Rachel, his brow furrowing as he noticed her fatigue. "What happened? Why are you so late?" he inquired, reaching for a soda from the refrigerator.

Rachel sighed and placed the shopping bag on the table before slumping onto the sofa. "Well, I got caught up with something," she admitted. "I'm parched; could you grab me a bottle, please?"

After a moment of contemplation, Dominic raised an eyebrow and teasingly pressed the cold soda bottle against her cheek. Then, he took a seat beside her. "No. Are you on your period?"

Rachel's eyes widened in both embarrassment and surprise as she involuntarily covered her mouth with her hands. The thinning boundaries between them were becoming more apparent with each passing day.

Dominic casually draped his arm around her shoulders and motioned towards the bathroom. "You seem to be a bit forgetful. You left your box of sanitary pads on the washbasin this morning. I've placed them in the cabinet for you."

Rachel found herself at a loss for words. Dominic gently tucked a loose strand of her hair behind her ear and smiled. "Did someone give you trouble? You came home looking upset."

Rachel recounted the entire incident with Bridget at the shopping mall to him.

"Why didn't you call me? I could have given her a taste of her own medicine for bullying you," Dominic's face darkened as he leaned closer, pinching her cheek.

Rachel swatted Dominic's hand away and nestled closer to him. "I can handle it myself!" she retorted, blinking up at him. "Besides, there were surveillance cameras everywhere."

Dominic offered a reprimanding look. "Well, thankfully there were surveillance cameras this time. What if there hadn't been any way to prove your innocence?"

Rachel pursed her lips, fidgeting with her fingers. "I didn't think about it. But even if there weren't cameras, I doubt you wouldn't have been able to prove my innocence. It would have just caused unnecessary trouble for you."

Dominic peered into her eyes, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "What makes you think I wouldn't have been able to help you?"

Dealing with such issues was child's play for Dominic. With a snap of his fingers, he could buy the entire shopping mall. Every shop would belong to him, and his wife could take whatever she pleased.

"By the way, I got you a gift," Rachel pointed towards the bag on the table.

"Miss Daley, you work fast. I'm impressed," Dominic's face lit up. He had casually mentioned it in their conversation the previous night.

Dominic picked up the bag and unveiled its contents: a sleek black leather belt. While it exuded style, its texture and quality were average at best. Dominic knew it was the best Rachel could afford on her budget. In his spacious villa, he had hundreds of belts of far superior craftsmanship. However, this belt held a special place in his heart.

"It looks fantastic," Dominic beamed, his smile growing wider as he leaned in to kiss the top of her head. Her thoughtful gesture had melted his heart.

He clutched the belt with delight.

Rachel smoothed her bangs, smiling with relief. She had hurriedly chosen the gift, worried that Dominic might not like it. Now, she was relieved to see his reaction.

"Don't hesitate to seek help if you encounter such problems again. I can always assist you. Remember that," Dominic locked eyes with her, their faces inches apart, exchanging breaths.

A blush crept onto Rachel's face as she met his gaze. She was overwhelmed by his closeness and the warmth of his breath. She nestled closer in his arms, her mind filled with a whirlwind of emotions she couldn't quite comprehend.

Her thoughts swiftly turned to the passionate kiss they had shared the previous night.

Abruptly, she withdrew herself from his embrace. "Oh, I... I see. I'm glad you liked the gift. Well, it's getting late, and I should go to my room."

Dominic furrowed his brows as he watched Rachel hurry into her room, but he didn't pursue her. Something was amiss. He understood that Rachel didn't believe he could help her, which was why she hadn't reached out for assistance.

It seemed he needed to get closer to Rachel in his Braden persona. Even if she didn't seek his help, she could always rely on Braden.

The next day, as Rachel immersed herself in work, her phone chimed with a private message from Braden.

"The Porter Group is hosting a dinner party next week. I want you to represent the design department."

Rachel was taken aback.

"No, no, no! I don't think that's a good idea," she murmured to herself, staring at the message. She was a new employee; how could she attend such a grand event?

She quickly typed her response. "Mr. Porter, why not ask Ms. Miller to go instead? I've never been to such extravagant parties before. I'm afraid I might embarrass myself and tarnish the reputation of the design department."

Braden swiftly replied, "Miller is unavailable that night. Many prominent figures in the design field will be attending. You can network with them and boost your career in the long run."

His words reminded Rachel of the predicament she had faced with Ike before. She feared history might repeat itself, sending a shiver down her spine.

Just as she contemplated how to decline, Braden sent another message.

"Don't fret. This is an official company dinner, and Kristian and other senior executives will be there. Plus, you can bring a plus-one."

Rachel's eyes widened in surprise. She glanced around as if the CEO were watching her through a hidden camera. His words had an uncanny way of aligning with her thoughts.

Feeling relieved that she could bring someone along, she decided to ask Dominic. That way, she'd feel safe and protected.

After work, the HR department sent her an invitation to the dinner party. It arrived in an elegant gilded envelope, displaying the Porter Group's opulence and power.

Upon returning home, Rachel was startled to find Dominic already there. He emerged from the bathroom wearing nothing but a towel, water droplets trickling from his hair. His well-defined muscles flexed with every movement.

"Dominic, why aren't you dressed?" Rachel exclaimed, quickly turning her head as her cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

Chapter 55 – "Of Parties and Unexpected Encounters"

Dominic flashed a warm smile at Rachel and reached for the remote to turn on the TV. "I just got back from my run and took a quick shower. I didn't expect you back so soon."

Rachel was no stranger to long hours at work, often coming home late.

"Get dressed, or we can't chat," she teased, one hand covering her face, the other trying to cool herself down on this scorching summer day.

Dominic chuckled and retrieved a black shirt from the sofa, slipping it on. "All dressed now. What's on your mind?"

Rachel sighed dramatically, retrieving an invitation from her bag and joining him on the sofa. "Our company is throwing a dinner party next week. Would you be my date?" She studied his expression, her safety relying on his company.

Dominic glanced at the invitation and nodded. "Of course, I'm available that day."

Then, a realization lit up his eyes. "I should grab my jacket, and we can go shopping for an outfit."

Rachel furrowed her brow. "Shopping? What for?"

Dominic swiftly buttoned his shirt, its black fabric emphasizing his well-defined physique. "We can't have you without something nice to wear at the party," he explained, raising an eyebrow.

"I have plenty of dresses; I can find something in my wardrobe," Rachel protested. "Evening gowns can be incredibly expensive. We don't need to spend money on that."

Rubbing his temples, Dominic sighed. "I'll cover it. Consider it an investment for future occasions."

"No, no! You don't understand how costly they can be," Rachel insisted, shaking her head firmly. "Don't buy me clothes, or I won't talk to you."

"Alright, alright. I won't," Dominic conceded, playfully ruffling her hair.

The dinner party hosted by the Porter Group took place in a luxurious hotel nestled in the heart of the city.

As Rachel stepped out of the taxi, her eyes widened in awe.

The entrance was adorned with luxury cars, and elegantly dressed guests descended from them, adorned in high-end fashion and jewelry. They were all prominent figures in the design industry, accompanied by their glamorous partners.

Rachel's expression darkened as she glanced down at her own attire. Her heart sank as she realized her outfit was far too modest for the occasion. She felt completely outshone amidst the dazzling crowd.

Rachel noticed that those born with a silver spoon had a natural air of confidence and elegance.

"What's wrong?" Dominic emerged from the taxi and gently placed a hand on her lower back.

Rachel blinked and looked at him. He wore the same suit he had worn at their wedding, a rarity for him to be so formally dressed.

But he exuded an air of grandeur that surpassed even the other guests. Dominic appeared composed and effortlessly confident, captivating everyone's attention. Rachel couldn't tear her gaze away from him.

His striking appearance and exceptional demeanor made him the center of attention.

Rachel couldn't help but furrow her brow. Dominic had claimed to have an ordinary job, yet he projected such a powerful aura.

"I don't know. I feel like Cinderella, like the truth might be revealed tonight," Rachel sighed with a hint of dejection, shifting nervously on her feet.

The attendees were either wealthy or influential, while Rachel was just an ordinary woman struggling to cover her maid's medical bills.

Dominic smiled and leaned closer to her. "Don't overthink it. These people might dress lavishly, but they have their share of problems. Their appearance doesn't define their happiness. Don't be fooled by looks," he whispered into her ear.

Rachel grinned at him, her eyes shimmering with joy. She hadn't realized how her spirits had lifted. Dominic's presence had a calming effect on her.

Dominic made for an excellent companion, always saying or doing something to make her smile. Today, his charismatic presence seemed to outshine his personality.

He was like a radiant star, and all eyes were on him.

"Alright, no more frowning. Let's go inside with smiles," Dominic suggested, his eyes filled with tenderness. He leaned in, planting a gentle kiss on the corner of her mouth. The cool breeze brushed against them, cicadas chirping in the background.

Rachel chuckled, unaware that her curly hair had become tousled in the night breeze.

"You've got to be kidding me! Are you here for the party too?" A shrill voice startled Rachel from her happiness.

She turned around to find Ivonne, wearing an enraged expression, her eyes burning with anger and resentment.

Ivonne had witnessed the affectionate interaction between Rachel and Dominic.

Rachel, blissfully happy with Dominic's company, looked like the perfect match for him. Ivonne couldn't stand to see that.

With a deep breath, Rachel's smile faded. "Small world, isn't it?"

Ivonne sneered, "Do you even comprehend the significance of this event? It's exclusively for the wealthy and influential. What are you doing here? You don't belong at such lavish parties."

Rachel crossed her arms and glanced at Dominic.

"Really? But do you belong here? Have you forgotten who you are?"

Dominic's expression darkened as he saw Ivonne. He took out his phone and began texting someone.

Ivonne seethed but restrained herself. Dominic believed Rachel was the true heir of the Daley family, while Ivonne was the adopted daughter. She couldn't risk Dominic discovering the truth.

Gritting her teeth, Ivonne glared at Rachel. "We'll talk later."

Rolling her eyes, Ivonne made her way towards the hotel's banquet hall. However, she was stopped by the doorman.

"Ma'am, may I see your invitation, please?"

Chapter 56 – "Uninvited Ambitions"

"Why are you barring my way? I possess the invitation," Ivonne fumed, yanking her bag open and tossing the invitation toward him.

The Daley family hadn't received an invitation from the Porter Group. Ivonne had procured one through a friend's assistance.

Ivonne had been single ever since her recent breakup with Max. She was accustomed to having boyfriends at her beck and call, and without them, she felt a void in her heart as though her life's purpose had been lost. Consequently, Ivonne decided to attend the party with the intention of ensnaring a wealthy and handsome bachelor.

Frustrated with her boredom and loneliness, Ivonne was resolute in her quest for a prosperous and attractive boyfriend.

The doorman accepted her invitation and meticulously compared it to the guest list. "I'm sorry, Ma'am, but your name isn't on the guest list. I'm afraid you can't attend the party."

Embarrassment tinged Ivonne's ears.

The guests at this hotel were all affluent and influential, and they had momentarily paused to scrutinize her with disdain.

"I have a valid invitation; allow me to enter!" Ivonne exclaimed indignantly, waving the invitation in front of the doorman's face.

Normally, she breezed into such events without any hassle. The staff had never been so thorough in verifying guests before.

In Ivonne's deluded mind, she considered herself a socialite, and even without an invitation, she believed she had the right to be there. She had dressed up for the occasion, adorned herself with her most expensive accessories, and assumed the staff would not dare to question her entry when she looked this glamorous.

"I'm sorry, but rules are rules. You can't use someone else's invitation," the staff member responded, casting a cold glance at Ivonne and gesturing for her to step aside.

Dejectedly, Ivonne had no choice but to comply.

Just as hope began to fade, she caught sight of Dominic walking towards the banquet hall, hand in hand with Rachel.

Even Ivonne had to admit that Dominic looked exceptionally dashing that evening, with a tall and imposing figure that made him stand out. He effortlessly commanded the attention of the crowd, exuding an indescribable aura.

"Are you here to envy what you can't have? They won't let you in without an invitation. Don't blame me if you get kicked out," Ivonne sneered at Rachel as they approached, crossing her arms over her chest.

After all, what right did Rachel have to be there? She was practically inviting humiliation upon herself.

Dominic regarded Ivonne with a cold gaze, his eyes clouded as though veiled by a thin layer of frost. This woman had been consistently rude to Rachel, and if not for her being his wife's sister and his uncertainty about Rachel's feelings toward her, he would have taught her a lesson by now.

Rachel simply ignored Ivonne and proceeded past her. With a subtle smile, she retrieved an invitation from her bag and presented it to the staff.

Ivonne's jaw nearly dropped to the floor. How on earth did Rachel have an invitation?

Ivonne quickly recovered, assuming Rachel must have stolen it. With the staff being so strict, they would surely catch Rachel as an imposter and deny her entry. Ivonne was prepared to relish in Rachel's humiliation.

"Oh! Miss Daley, please come in. Let me escort you," the staff said unexpectedly, not bothering to scrutinize the invitation and extending a warm welcome to Rachel.

Ivonne stopped them angrily, her frustration mounting. "What the hell?! You didn't even verify her identity!"

"Not here, sis," Rachel shook her head, sounding exhausted by Ivonne's antics.

Ivonne had publicly embarrassed the Daley family multiple times. Kate had clearly indulged her. How could she not maintain decorum even in public?

"What's that supposed to mean? Why can't I point out injustice when I see it? And how in the world did you get an invitation? It can't be yours; you must have stolen it from someone, didn't you?!" Ivonne seethed, her face turning purple with anger.

This wasn't just any ordinary dinner party; it was hosted by the Porter Group, a business tycoon. Ivonne had invested significant effort to secure an invitation, so how had Rachel obtained one?

Rachel didn’t answer her. Instead, she calmly opened the envelope, pulled out the invitation, and held it up in between her slender fingers.

“Here. See for yourself.”

To Ivonne’s surprise, Rachel’s name was on the invitation.

“What the hell?! How can this be—?!”

How did Rachel get an invitation in her name?

Ivonne was shocked and green with envy.

Rachel had married Dominic under her name. Of course, it was supposed to have Ivonne’s name on the invitation.

But the question still stood: how did Rachel get an invitation to such an important occasion? Yes, she was an employee of the Porter Group, but she was a newbie and held no special position. How could a new employee be qualified to attend such a dinner party?

Exasperated and at a loss, Ivonne could do nothing but look at Rachel in disbelief.

Rachel looked back at Ivonne calmly. “There. Satisfied? We’ll go inside now.”

Ivonne watched in silent rage as Rachel and Dominic walked inside the venue.

She was so furious that she stomped her high heel on the marble floor, the sound echoing through the hotel's hallways.

Hearing this, Rachel turned around and taunted, "Why are you still here? Hoping to catch a glimpse of what you can't have?"

Rachel smiled smugly, giving Ivonne a taste of her own medicine.

Ivonne's eyes burned with anger. She glared at Rachel as if she might attack her at any moment.

The dinner party was about to commence, but Ivonne remained outside in the cold wind.

She couldn't let Rachel get away with this. She was determined to enter the banquet hall at any cost.

As more and more people flowed into the dinner party, a limousine pulled up outside the private hotel. A portly, middle-aged or elderly businessman emerged, supported by a young woman in her twenties. It looked like a kind-hearted girl helping her frail grandfather cross the road.

"Mr. Bree Ellington, you're here!" Ivonne greeted the businessman with a bright, flirtatious smile.

He had previously pursued Ivonne, but she had rejected his advances because of his age and weight. Now, however, she needed to rely on him to gain access to the venue.

Last edited:
Chapter 57 – "Unexpected Encounters and Spilled Secrets"

"Ivonne!" The man's face registered surprise upon hearing his name called. Then, he couldn't help but break into a toothy grin. "Didn't I give you my number last time? Why haven't you given me a call?"

As he spoke, his eyes scanned Ivonne's figure with an almost predatory hunger.

Seeing an opportunity, Ivonne sidled up to him and hooked her arm through his. "Mr. Ellington, I apologize. I did want to call you, but I misplaced your card."

No one paid much attention to the white lie.

Mr. Ellington flashed a knowing smile and placed his wrinkled hand on Ivonne's waist, having been intrigued by her from the start. His gaze lingered on her ample cleavage, filled with desire. "Why haven't you entered yet?"

"My friend couldn't make it and didn't pass me her invitation, so the staff wouldn't let me in," Ivonne pouted, batting her eyelashes at the older man playfully.

"In that case, you can accompany me. But you'll have to stay with me for the evening," Mr. Ellington's eyes bore into hers with desire.

While he didn't consider Ivonne exceptionally beautiful, he couldn't resist the chase, having not yet won her over.

He then turned to his young female companion and spoke in a hushed tone, "You may go now. I'll have my secretary transfer the funds to your account."

Without much interest, the girl glanced at Ivonne before nodding with a smile and departing.

Mr. Ellington brought Ivonne into the dinner party as his plus one.

Upon entering the banquet hall, Ivonne was surrounded by the clinking of glasses and the grandeur of the brightly lit hall, where saxophones and pianos played, igniting her senses.

The Porter Group had gone all out, exuding opulence throughout the event. There were even gambling and billiard tables for guests seeking diversion.

Ivonne discreetly surveyed the crowd, on the lookout for her target tonight.

As Rachel stepped into the banquet hall, she felt as if she had walked into a movie about the wealthy and influential.

Despite the darkness outside, the brilliantly lit hall buzzed with liveliness that rivaled a sunlit room.

Yet there was more beneath the surface. Everyone appeared driven by some hidden agenda, darting from table to table, exchanging polite pleasantries.

Dominic caught a passing waiter and secured a glass of red wine for himself and an orange juice for Rachel from the tray.

Handing the orange juice to her, he inquired, "What has caught your attention?"

Following her gaze, he noticed Rachel's fascination with a group of independent designers conversing animatedly.

"Wow! I can't believe the Porter Group managed to bring those design legends here. They're fixtures at international fashion shows. Seeing them here is astonishing," Rachel remarked as she sipped her orange juice, her eyes filled with amazement.

"Why don't you go and introduce yourself?" Dominic placed a comforting hand on her back, taking another sip of his wine, appearing relaxed.

Rachel burst into laughter. "I'm just a nobody at the Porter Group. I haven't even been permanently hired yet. How could I possibly approach those legends?"

Dominic nonchalantly set down his glass and glanced across the room at Kristian.

Kristian met his gaze and swiftly moved into action, abandoning the group he had been chatting with to approach Dominic.

"Daley," Rachel turned to find Kristian, dressed in a white suit, standing behind her.

What was he doing here?

Hadn't he been avoiding her? Why was he taking the initiative to speak with her now?

"Good evening, Mr. Higgins," Rachel greeted with a slightly awkward smile, tilting her head.

Glancing between Rachel and Dominic, Kristian broke into a broad smile and informed her, "Mr. Porter asked me to look after you tonight. Are you free? The Porter Group has invited some prominent designers tonight. Would you like to meet them?"

Rachel was utterly stunned, as though she had just won the lottery.

"Really? Can I? Mr. Higgins, are you sure? I'm just a newcomer—"

"Of course. Mr. Porter had some matters to attend to tonight, so he requested that I introduce you to the top designers in your field. They rarely make appearances here, and it's a unique opportunity to meet them all in one place," Kristian said, adjusting his glasses and offering a polite smile.

Rachel pursed her lips, her blinking increasing. Her body responded physically to her nervousness.

She looked to Dominic, who encouraged her with a nod.

"Okay, then," she said, pinching herself to ensure it wasn't a dream.

She followed Kristian to the group of designers, and he cleared his throat before introducing her, "Excuse me, everyone. Let me introduce our newest and most promising designer, Rachel Daley."

With Kristian personally introducing her, the designers turned their attention to Rachel with great interest.

"You must be quite talented!" one of the designers exclaimed, giving Rachel a thumbs-up and a welcoming smile.

From local to international design trends, the conversation among the designers flowed endlessly.

But eventually, Kristian guided Rachel to meet other essential guests - business partners from clothing companies who had also graced the event.

Hours passed, and the party was winding down.

Dominic had remained on the sofa in silence, occasionally sipping his wine. Several women had tried to approach him, but they retreated when met with his stern gaze.

It wasn't until Rachel weaved her way through the crowd and returned that he finally broke into a smile. "Why don't you continue your conversation with them? You came back so soon."

Although Kristian had suggested Rachel return to the designers, she had been concerned that Dominic would be bored, prompting her return to him.

Rachel smiled gently, about to sit next to Dominic. She preferred his company to the designers'.

"I've already spoken with them. But now, I'd like to talk to—"

Before she could finish her sentence, Rachel jolted in shock.

Someone had accidentally spilled wine on her from behind, staining her light blue dress and forming a red puddle at her feet.

She turned around and identified the culprit.

Ivonne stood beside her, appearing apologetic but exaggerating it with a hint of a smug smile.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. A waiter bumped into me just now," she said, covering her mouth with one hand and holding the glass with the other, feigning remorse.

Her apology seemed insincere, every word laced with contempt. "I didn't mean to."

Chapter 58 – "Wine Stains and a Clash of Egos"

Rachel pulled at her soaked dress, which clung uncomfortably to her legs.

A pleasant rose scent from the wine hung in the air.

Rachel took a step back from Ivonne, her eyes blazing with anger. "You did this on purpose! You didn't have an invitation, did you? How did you even get in?"

Ivonne smirked, crossing her arms defiantly. "Of course, I just walked right in. I have my methods for crashing parties, invitation or not."

She then gestured towards Rachel's dress with a condescending tone. "I accidentally ruined your dress. How much was it? Not even a hundred dollars, I bet."

Ivonne grabbed three hundred-dollar bills from her handbag and tossed them at Rachel. "I'll pay you three times the price. No need to thank me."

Dominic set his glass down, his face etched with anger.

He reached for some tissues on a nearby table and attempted to clean the wine stain from Rachel's dress.

With a menacing glare, he turned to Ivonne, his intent clear: he was ready to confront her.

Rachel tried to defuse the situation, taking the tissues from his hand and urging him not to get involved. She feared Dominic might lose his temper and resort to violence.

In truth, her dress was far from expensive, something Ivonne likely deduced. Rachel struggled to afford lavish attire for upscale events, as she constantly battled financial hardships.

Ivonne scornfully tossed the money on the floor. "Do you even know the type of occasion this is? Have you no sense of style? How could you attend wearing such a cheap dress? Can't you afford something better, or are you just too miserly? You clearly lack class and experience."

Ignoring the money strewn on the floor, Rachel maintained her composure and, seizing a plate of stewed beef from a passing waiter, she emptied it over Ivonne's head.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Ivonne shrieked in shock. She had not expected Rachel to retaliate in such a way.

Thick sauce coated Ivonne's face, ruining her makeup, with chunks of beef clinging to her head. The sauce dripped down her body, staining her dress.

Ivonne's face contorted, her eyes bulging as she shouted angrily, "You bitch! How dare you..."

Historically, Rachel had been the recipient of Ivonne's bullying, the submissive one enduring Ivonne's relentless torment.

"Why not?" Rachel retorted calmly, placing the plate back on the table before retrieving the three hundred dollars from the floor and tossing them at Ivonne. "Take your money back. You ruined my dress, and I did the same to you. We're even. How much is your dress? I'll pay for it."

Ivonne scoffed, "Can you even afford it, you fucking bitch? I'll teach you a lesson today!" She wiped the sauce off her face and lunged at Rachel.

Dominic swiftly stepped in front of Rachel to shield her, his expression darkening instantly.

Party staff and security guards, seasoned in handling such situations, intervened before Dominic could act. One staff member forcefully removed Ivonne and placed her on the floor.

Kristian had been away briefly and returned to find chaos. Hearing the commotion, he hurried through the crowd, shocked to see Rachel's stained dress and Ivonne's disheveled appearance. The carpet was now stained with wine and sauce.

"What's going on? Who's causing trouble?" Kristian demanded, his anger evident.

Ivonne recognized Kristian from a prior encounter – the one where he had expelled her from the Porter Group. Later, she learned he was Kristian Higgins, the deputy CEO and scion of the prestigious Higgins family.

Ivonne had dated influential men before, but Kristian surpassed them all.

Pointing at Rachel, Ivonne whined, "It's her fault! I spilled wine on her dress by accident, and she threw food at me for no reason. Why would you let such a crazy woman into the party?"

Rachel lowered her gaze, remaining silent. Dominic held her close, his smirk implying approval. "You should've hit her harder. Look at how she's talking about you now."

Rachel's eyes narrowed. She regretted her impulsive action but couldn't tolerate Ivonne any longer.

Growing up with Ivonne, Rachel had long seen through her true character.

Dominic smiled tenderly and stroked Rachel's hair, discreetly winking at Kristian.

Sensing the unspoken warning, Kristian adjusted his glasses and locked eyes with Dominic, his gaze chilling.

Kristian understood the message and signaled for a waiter. "Fetch a new evening gown immediately."

Ivonne's face lit up, assuming the dress was for her – a sign that Kristian was on her side. In her mind, Rachel's fate was sealed.

"The Porter Group is indeed a prestigious company," Ivonne declared arrogantly. "I won't hold you responsible for this incident at your party."

Kristian forced a strained smile, silently cursing the situation. 'Who allowed this woman in?'

Thinking Kristian was interested in her, Ivonne believed she had a chance with him. She tried to seduce him in front of the crowd.

Kristian, however, recoiled from her, wiping his shoulder where Ivonne had touched him, disgusted by the mingling scents of gravy, perfume, and makeup.

Moments later, a waiter returned with a garment bag containing an opulent evening gown from a high-end brand. Three men followed with makeup kits and matching jewelry.

Chapter 59 – "The Dazzling Transformation"

"Mr. Higgins, here is the evening dress," Ivonne's eyes sparkled with anticipation as she laid eyes on the luxurious dress and jewelry.

"Thank you," she replied, trying to maintain her composure, and approached the man holding the dress. However, her excitement was short-lived as the staff unexpectedly passed her by.

"Miss, could you please step aside?" Ivonne was taken aback as she involuntarily stepped back.

With a smile, the staff handed the evening dress to Rachel.

Ivonne felt a flush of embarrassment.

'What's happening? I thought it was for me. Why are they giving it to Rachel? She ruined my dress, and yet, they're getting her a new one? This is absurd!'

"Thank you, but please take it back. This dress is too expensive. I'll just go home and get changed," Rachel hesitated, glancing nervously at the dress, despite its undeniable beauty. She was hesitant to accept it due to its cost.

"Mr. Porter has requested that we take care of you and ensure nothing goes wrong at the dinner party. You can't wear your dress now. We had prepared some spare dresses for emergencies, and this is one of them. You can borrow it for the night. After all, it's a matter of our company's reputation," Kristian calmly explained, though his heart raced with anxiety. He knew that Dominic would be displeased if Rachel declined the dress.

After a brief moment of hesitation, Rachel accepted the dress.

"Miss, this way, please."

Rachel nodded and followed the staff to the dressing room.

"Miss, let me help you with your makeup. You are a natural beauty, and makeup will enhance your features," the makeup artist suggested, examining Rachel's face closely.

"I've already applied some light makeup," Rachel frowned and covered her face.

Despite being a designer, she wasn't fond of dressing up. She rarely wore makeup and had never experimented with a dramatic look.

"What you have on is just a touch of foundation. I promise you'll look stunning. You won't know unless you try. I've worked with many celebrities in the past. I'm sure you'll dazzle tonight," the makeup artist reassured her, brandishing her brush like a magic wand.

Soon, the makeup artist completed her work, and assistants helped Rachel into the dress.

After ensuring everything was in place, they led her out.

The noisy banquet hall fell silent as all eyes turned to Rachel.

The sudden attention made her feel uneasy. She shifted nervously and didn't know what to do with her hands.

'Why are they all staring at me? Do I look bad?'

Her stomach churned with anxiety, and then she caught sight of her reflection in a glass door.

She was astonished by what she saw.

The woman in the reflection bore little resemblance to her; she looked like a regal princess. Her face appeared flawless, with makeup beautifully enhancing her features. The bold red lips illuminated her entire face.

The black velvet strapless dress showcased her fair skin, and the dazzling necklace made her look like royalty.

Rachel was undoubtedly the most beautiful woman at the party that night. The makeup artist had succeeded in bringing out the inner beauty she had kept hidden.

One's demeanor was a crucial element in earning respect from others.

Rachel walked past the admiring crowd, gently lifting her dress. She could sense the intense gazes fixed on her from the corner of her eye.

Her racing heart calmed when she spotted Dominic. She quickly took his arm and hid behind him. With her curled lashes and perfectly applied eyeliner, her eyes appeared larger and more seductive. "Thank you, Mr. Higgins. I'll return the dress tomorrow."

Kristian cleared his throat awkwardly, unable to meet Rachel's gaze as he looked away. "Okay, okay."

Rachel looked incredible after her transformation.

Dominic used the opportunity to embrace Rachel. He gazed at her beautiful face and gently stroked her cheek with his thumb, treating her like a work of art. "Did you put on makeup?" he asked softly.

"Don't I look good?" Rachel replied, glancing at him through her lashes.

Dominic chuckled and leaned closer, whispering in her ear, "My goodness, you're stunning! You look like a real princess."

Rachel shivered and nestled into his embrace. "Dominic, stop! It tickles."

Dominic's Adam's apple bobbed, his eyes darkening as he couldn't tear his gaze away from her alluring face.

Ivonne burned with jealousy at the sight of the intimate couple. Her hatred for Rachel reached its peak, considering her a seductive woman who effortlessly ensnared men.

Rachel had always been more attractive than Ivonne since they were children. Even in simple attire, Rachel effortlessly drew attention. Now, dressed like royalty, Ivonne felt herself pale in comparison.

"Watch out for that dress. You might have to sell your soul to pay for it," Ivonne sneered, walking past Rachel and deliberately bumping into her shoulder.

Dominic's face darkened, his eyes blazing with anger.

Seeing this, Kristian quickly signaled for security. "Remove this woman from here!"

Several security guards surrounded Ivonne and took hold of her arms, escorting her out.

Ivonne struggled and shouted, trying to break free. "Why are you kicking me out? I'm here as Mr. Ellington's date. How dare you throw me out?"

"Very well, I'll have Mr. Ellington address this matter with you."

Kristian scanned the banquet hall and spotted a plump, timid-looking middle-aged man. "Mr. Ellington, don't be shy. What do you say?" he inquired.

Ellington, who had been a loser in his earlier years, had gained wealth through antique sales. However, he was now too old to enjoy life fully, and he dared not offend the Porter Group's Deputy CEO.

Terrified, Ellington didn't even glance at Ivonne. "It's up to you, Mr. Higgins," he said, waving his hand dismissively. "I merely brought her as my companion for the evening. Beyond that, we have no connection. You can handle it as you see fit."

With that, Ellington turned away and engaged in conversation with others as if nothing had happened.

"Do you even know who I am?" Ivonne yelled. "I'm from the Daley family. My parents won't let you get away with this."

Kristian looked at her coldly, then picked up a glass of wine from a passing tray and took a sip, smacking his lips. "I don't care who you are or which family you belong to. I'm prepared to deal with them at any time."

Ivonne continued to struggle and refused to leave. Eventually, the guards forcibly removed her from the hotel.

The commotion had already drawn the attention of the attendees, and several men couldn't help but ogle at Rachel.

Their lustful gazes seemed to devour her with every glance.

"It's all right now. Let's return to our seats," Dominic suggested, his gaze fixed in the distance. His jaw was tense, and his narrowed eyes gave the impression of confronting a formidable adversary.

Rachel sensed his anger. "What's wrong?" she asked, puzzled.

Taking a deep breath, Dominic looked at her and then removed his suit jacket, placing it around Rachel's shoulders. "Nothing. Put on my coat."

Chapter 60 – "Unexpected Gifts"

Dominic's oversized suit jacket enveloped every inch of Rachel's body, leaving only her face visible. "It feels strange wearing a jacket. It completely hides the dress," she remarked.

Dominic guided her to the sofa, gently removing her hair from the jacket's collar and placing his hand on the small of her back. "It's okay. The party is about to end."

Then, he turned and shot a disapproving look at Kristian, who observed them from a distance.

Dominic was irritated that Kristian had arranged such a revealing dress for Rachel. Kristian nearly choked on his drink when he met Dominic's fiery gaze, his cheeks reddening from the coughing fit. Kristian couldn't fathom why Dominic was staring at him, questioning his decision.

The party concluded well past midnight, and Rachel and Dominic returned home together. Sensing something amiss, Rachel noticed that Dominic hadn't taken his eyes off her during the journey. Unable to ignore it any longer, she turned to him.

"What's bothering you tonight? Why do you keep staring at me?"

Dominic remained silent, and Rachel shook her head, retrieving her key from her bag. As they entered the house, he grabbed her arm.

"Because you are beautiful."

Dominic shut the door firmly and pressed Rachel against it, his palms cupping her cheeks. He nibbled gently at her lower lip, and as her lips parted, he deepened the kiss. Their tongues danced in a passionate rhythm until they both became breathless.

Rachel pulled back, leaning against Dominic's shoulder, her breath ragged. Dominic smiled and trailed his tongue along her earlobe.

"Put me down. The dress is already wrinkled. What if we accidentally damage it?" Rachel whimpered as she tried to push him away.

Her ears tingled from the kiss, and she shivered under his touch.

Dominic reluctantly released Rachel, gently stroking her hair. "I'm going to take a shower. You should go to bed early."

Frustrated, Rachel leaned against the door and covered her flushed face.

They had been growing more intimate at every opportunity, and Rachel felt her willpower weakening with each passing day. She wondered if they might both lose control someday.

The next day, Rachel carefully packed the dress and jewelry and brought them to the company. However, she was uncertain where to return them.

Seeing Kristian pass by the design department, Rachel hurriedly stopped him. "Mr. Higgins, I brought back the dress and accessories."

"Well, you should give them to Mr. Porter. They belong to him, not me," Kristian replied nonchalantly before heading to the elevator.

Rachel sighed and sent Braden a message.

"Mr. Porter, who should I return the dress I borrowed last night for the dinner party to?"

"You don't need to return it. We don't reuse custom-designed dresses. It's yours now."

It dawned on Rachel that wealthy individuals didn't wear second-hand clothing. However, she hesitated to accept it. "It's too expensive, Mr. Porter. How can I accept it?"

"Well, you can save it for the future. Considering the Porter Group's unshakable position in the fashion industry, how can an employee wear inexpensive attire to a dinner party and potentially tarnish our company's image?"

Rachel couldn't argue with that rationale. Reluctantly, she took the dress and jewelry back and carefully stored them in her closet.

The following day, Kristian asked Rachel to meet him.

"Mr. Porter wanted you to have these," he said, handing her several large bags. "Our company collaborates with various fashion brands and enterprises, and these are complimentary gifts they've sent us. You can take them."

Rachel's eyes widened when she saw the expensive clothes and shoes before her. They were from renowned fashion houses, featuring trendy and often sold-out pieces, each item of considerable value.

"These... These are too costly and valuable. Have other employees received such gifts from Mr. Porter?" Rachel inquired, her face paling with apprehension.

"That's not your concern," Kristian responded, his tone implying that no one else had received such expensive gifts.

Rachel's unease grew, and her palms grew clammy. These were not ordinary gifts, and she couldn't easily accept them.

"Well, I merely follow Mr. Porter's instructions. If you have any questions, feel free to ask him," Kristian said with a smile, returning to his work.

Exiting Kristian's office, Rachel sent a quick message to Braden.

With thousands of employees at the company, how could she be the sole recipient of such extravagant gifts?

While the design department held great importance within the Porter Group, Stephanie was Rachel's superior. It puzzled Rachel why she was the first to receive these lavish gifts instead of Stephanie.

"Mr. Porter, thank you for the clothes and shoes, but I'm afraid I can't accept them. I'm not accustomed to wearing expensive attire, so perhaps you should consider gifting them to other employees?" Rachel wrote, her message sounding straightforward. She simply wanted to convey that she couldn't accept costly gifts without a clear reason.

It seemed Braden was exceedingly generous toward her, which made Rachel somewhat uncomfortable.

Rachel had never met the enigmatic CEO in person, and she doubted Braden had seen her either. While she tried not to overanalyze the situation, her intuition told her something was amiss.

The day went by swiftly, and later in the evening, Rachel finally received a message from Braden.

"You may become involved in more collaborative projects in the future. As a designer with the Porter Group, your appearance matters. I don't want anyone questioning our design capabilities. Wearing the right attire is also a strategic aspect of advertising. As a designer, you must carry yourself well."

Braden had skillfully persuaded Rachel to accept the clothes, even though she didn't think it was appropriate. She stared at the lengthy message on her phone and took a deep breath.

Ultimately, she felt compelled to accept the clothes and shoes.

She quickly sent a message of gratitude and powered off her phone.

After work, another message from Braden arrived.

"If you ever encounter any challenges in life, don't hesitate to come to me. I will assist you in resolving them to ensure they don't affect your work."

Chapter 61 - "The Enigmatic CEO and the Disturbed Heart"

Rachel set her phone aside, a knot of unease forming in her stomach.

'Why does the CEO pay such close attention to a regular employee like me?' she pondered.

Their interactions were limited to online chats, preventing her from discerning any hidden agendas.

Determined to understand Braden's intentions, Rachel remained puzzled.

"Always on your phone, huh? Texting non-stop. You claim you're single, so who's on the other end?" Hilda, her colleague, teased with a wink.

"Just a colleague," Rachel evasively replied, cautious not to reveal her communication with the CEO to avoid workplace rumors.

Resting her chin in her hand, she mused aloud.

"Mr. Porter's a respectable man, isn't he? Married, perhaps?" she inquired, half-hoping Hilda would affirm.

"I'm not sure. Maybe a girlfriend? But who knows with the wealthy? They have their own rules. Let's not pry into their private lives," Hilda advised, her eyebrow raised in surprise at Rachel's unusual curiosity.

Rachel managed a weak smile, yet her face betrayed her ongoing worries.

Sunhaven's climate was a study in extremes - blistering summers and frigid winters.

The local fruit store's iced watermelon juice, its aroma permeating the air, offered a momentary escape.

Rachel purchased two cups, her mind still occupied with Braden's messages.

At home, she found Dominic on the balcony, his hair fluttering in the breeze, his eyes partly hidden.

"You seem distracted," Dominic noted, his laid-back demeanor evident as he sorted laundry on the sofa.

Rachel's guilt deepened under his gaze, feeling compelled to confess her interactions with Braden.

"I've been pondering over our CEO, Braden Porter," she admitted, concern creasing her brow.

Dominic, feigning ignorance, read the messages on Rachel's phone as he sipped the juice.

Despite being the sender, he had to maintain appearances to avoid Rachel's suspicion.

He admired her honesty and her commitment to their marriage, despite the allure of a wealthy suitor.

"It looks innocent to me. Maybe accept his help? A man of his stature could be useful," Dominic suggested casually, his hair brushing against Rachel as he leaned back.

Rachel, puzzled by his calm reaction, questioned, "Aren't husbands supposed to be jealous in such situations? Why are you so unperturbed?"

She sensed something amiss; Dominic's usual jealousy was absent.

"Braden probably just wants to assist, right?" Dominic downplayed, though internally, he urged Rachel to seek Braden's help, for he was Braden himself.

Rachel, conflicted and hurt, pondered her value in Dominic's eyes.

"Let's drop it," she said, standing up to collect her clothes.

"What's wrong?" Dominic inquired, surprised at her abrupt change in demeanor.

"Nothing," Rachel replied, withdrawing her hand from his grasp and opting for emotional restraint.

She remembered her marriage to Dominic was a convenience for her old maid's medical bills, and divorce remained an option.

Yet, her growing attachment to him weighed heavily on her heart.

"No more touching or kissing. We're merely a couple in name," Rachel declared, her mood no longer conducive to conversation.

Dominic's expression darkened, confused and apologetic, unsure of his misstep.

"You're not at fault. I'm just fine," Rachel reassured as she retreated to her room, concealing her disappointment.

Dominic, a keen businessman, sensed Rachel's distress but couldn't fathom the turmoil in her heart or the root of her unease.

Chapter 62 "Love in the Shadows"

Dominic felt disheartened. Why had she denied him the privilege of kissing her?

He had merely leaned on Rachel's shoulder without any intention to offend her. They had passionately kissed countless times before, and she had never resisted. "What could have led to this sudden change in her behavior?" he wondered.

Rachel emerged from her room during dinner, wearing a faint smile that lacked the genuine warmth of a few days ago.

Dominic felt both upset and bewildered as the growing distance between them made him uncomfortable.

Later that night, he decided to call Kristian. After several rings, the call finally connected.

"I'm busy right now. What's so urgent? Couldn't you check the time before calling?" Kristian grumbled irritably, sensing Dominic's call while standing on the balcony, the wind whistling around him.

"I have something to ask you. After that, you can go back to whatever you were doing," Dominic replied, standing on his own balcony with a bottle of beer, gazing into the distance with dark eyes.

The apartment was situated near the beach, and the salty breeze filled his senses. It was refreshing, yet an underlying confusion gnawed at his heart.

"Alright, go ahead. You've recently tied the knot, and your actions are making us all restless. It's getting annoying," Kristian said, scratching his head as his romantic mood with a woman in his bed dissipated, shifting his attention to Dominic's concerns.

After hearing the whole story, Kristian burst into laughter.

"Congratulations! Your wife cares about you too."

A deeper frown creased Dominic's face, adding to his confusion.

"I don't quite understand. Could you please explain it more clearly?" He took a sip of his beer, gazing absently at the distant sea of lights.

Kristian shook his head and squinted. "I think you deserve this. You're married now but continue to act like a bachelor. It's astonishing that you can't comprehend a woman's actions. Let me spell it out for you. Your wife just hinted that some men are making advances on her. A typical husband would get jealous and inquire about these men, but you dismissed it casually. You showed no concern. What do you expect her to think? She's upset because you seem indifferent. Her unhappiness is evidence that she cares about you and how you feel about her. Dude, you need to learn how to read the signs women give!"

Suddenly, everything became clear to Dominic. He leaned against the balcony railing, his smile radiant as he looked out.

He was relieved to discover the source of her displeasure. "I just hope she can approach Braden if she needs help. That would require them to become closer first. What should I do now?"

After contemplating for a moment, Kristian advised, "You can't possibly get jealous of yourself. Ultimately, you'll demonstrate to your wife that you genuinely love her. I'm sure she'll be delighted when her feelings are reciprocated. I shouldn't have to teach you this. If you can't solve this issue on your own, your relationship with her is in trouble. Man up!"

In a hushed tone, he continued, "You've turned me into your marriage counselor. I'm helping you mend your marriage for free, but you'll reap all the benefits in the end."

Kristian knew Dominic well, considering him an opportunist since their high school days.

Dominic chuckled and waved his hand playfully. "What are friends for? Anyway, I'll give it a try."

"Keeping secrets can strain or even ruin a marriage. You can't keep her in the dark forever. When will you reveal your true identity to her?" Kristian inquired seriously.

Dominic fell silent for a moment.

"You have a point, Kristian. But I can't tell her just yet," he finally replied.

"Why not? Are you afraid for her safety? I have to admit that your family is a mess, and even I'm wary of them," Kristian commented with a shiver.

Dominic asked about the progress of the task he had assigned Kristian. "How's it going? Are you keeping a close watch on them?"

"Your two brothers? Nothing suspicious from them recently. But your father is a different story. He's always on the lookout, like he's onto something fishy. We need to be cautious; otherwise, we might get caught."

"Alright, I'll keep that in mind."

"Are you really not going to tell her the truth? I think you owe her that much," Kristian added.

He believed that the problem could be easier to solve if Dominic opened up to his wife soon. "Two heads are better than one. Having your wife's support is invaluable." He felt this way because Dominic had been grappling with this issue for a while. If he waited until everything was resolved to come clean, it would take a considerable amount of time.

"No, I don't want her involved in this matter. I'm still at odds with my family. They know I married her, but they don't take me seriously because I'm just an illegitimate child to them. Things would get even more complicated for her, and she'd be in grave danger if I reveal my identity and officially make her Mrs. Porter. I don't want her caught in the middle before I resolve my mother's situation," Dominic replied calmly.

He closed his eyes briefly before reopening them. The wind tousled his dark hair, revealing his prominent forehead.

"Alright, I understand. I won't bring it up again," Kristian sighed.

With a playful giggle, he added, "I hope you can win the beauty's heart soon. I'm rooting for you!"

"Thank you. You can take a long vacation once I succeed," Dominic replied with a chuckle. His eyes no longer held their usual coldness.

He opened the glass door and entered the room. As soon as he shut the door, the sounds of the howling wind and rustling leaves ceased. The room's lights were already off, and the moon remained hidden behind the clouds. Only the dim glow of street lamps spilled into the room.

Dominic placed his phone down and reclined on the sofa, lost in thought for a while before drifting off to sleep.

The clinking of kitchen utensils in the morning woke him the next day.

He stood up, stretching his body and yawning while gazing with misty eyes at the kitchen.

A woman stood there in a thin, ankle-length white dress. He stared at her in a daze for a long moment.

"Dominic, don't just stand there. You're in my way," Rachel said in a soft tone, blinking her large, watery eyes.

Last edited:
Chapter 63 "A Wall of Feelings"

Dominic cleared his throat and stepped aside to make room for her. Scratching his head, he asked, "Is there anything you need help with?"

"No, I don't require any assistance. I didn't make breakfast for you. If you're hungry, you can dine out," she responded with a stoic expression.

'Humph! You have no regard for me, yet you've been enjoying all the delicious breakfasts I've prepared. I'm not your maid, so don't expect any more meals from me!' she thought to herself.

Rachel made her way to the fridge and retrieved two eggs. The oil sizzled in the pan as she cracked them. After adding a dash of black pepper to her sunny-side-up eggs, a delightful aroma filled the kitchen.

Dominic took a deep breath and slumped his shoulders. Without saying a word, he sulkingly headed to the bathroom to freshen up.

Naturally, he wasn't the most romantic man and struggled with sweet words or thoughtful gifts. 'She's still upset with me. What should I do?' he contemplated while brushing his teeth.

An idea suddenly struck him as he spat out the toothpaste foam. He smiled faintly, gazing at his reflection in the mirror.

Upon returning to the living room, he noticed that Rachel was leisurely enjoying her breakfast. She didn't even acknowledge him, as if he were invisible.

"Are you free this weekend? There's a part-time job that pays this much. Are you interested?" Dominic inquired as he pulled out a chair beside her and seated himself.

Rachel hastily swallowed the bread she had been chewing upon seeing him extend all five fingers of his right hand. With wide-open eyes, she asked, "Five thousand?"

Having been married for some time, Dominic knew a bit about her personality—she had a strong affinity for making money. A job offer with such a high payout was difficult for her to refuse.

As expected, Rachel set aside her lingering displeasure from the previous night. She quickly wiped her mouth, though her expression remained indifferent; it was no longer as cold as before. "What kind of part-time job is it?" she finally inquired.

A subtle smile tugged at the corners of Dominic's mouth upon hearing her response. He picked up a piece of toast from her plate and took a bite. "Well, it's a painting job. The owner of the convenience store where I work is redecorating his new home, and he needs a mural. I've seen your artwork before, and I thought you'd be perfect for the job."

Dominic had seen Rachel's paintings. Despite her major in fashion design, she had taken foundational painting courses, and her artistic skills were exceptional.

It was only at that moment that Rachel noticed him taking hearty bites of her toast. She furrowed her brow and questioned him with irritation, "Dominic, I already said I didn't make breakfast for you. Why are you eating my toast?"

"Calm down, it's not a big deal. Just consider it a reward for telling you about the job. Besides, you're my wife. Sharing is caring!" Dominic playfully stuffed the last quarter of the toast into his mouth and grinned at her.

Rachel's heart skipped a beat when she saw his charming smile. She wanted to set boundaries between them, but he seemed to draw closer with each effort she made.

"Do you have any samples of your previous work? I need some to show my boss at work today," he requested.

Pouting, she went to her room and returned moments later with her previous paintings. "Here you go. This is a collection of my work. Will this suffice?"

"Yes, it will. I have to head to work now." Dominic picked up the collection and briefly perused the paintings. He then rose to his feet, put on a black jacket, and gazed at her with a mischievous glint in his dark eyes.

In the afternoon, Rachel received a call from him.

"What's going on? I'm still at work," she whispered into the phone, glancing at her coworkers.

"I just wanted to give you an update. My boss liked your paintings. Instead of an artwork piece, he'd like you to paint a mural on his wall this coming weekend. The pay is twice the amount I mentioned this morning. Are you available this weekend?" Dominic's composed voice came through the phone.

'Ten thousand dollars for a wall painting? That's a substantial sum. I'd be foolish to turn down such an offer!' she thought quickly.

"Yes, I can do it this Sunday," she replied without hesitation.

The weather was exceptionally sunny that Sunday.

Rachel waited impatiently at the bus stop, glancing at her phone repeatedly.

Just as the long-awaited bus arrived, she heard the roar of an engine. A dazzling black Vyrus motorcycle abruptly pulled up in front of her.

Dominic lifted the helmet's visor, revealing his striking profile. Even in an ordinary black T-shirt and loose jeans, he looked incredibly handsome.

He tossed a helmet to Rachel. "Hop on the bike."

After catching the helmet, she stared at the luxurious motorcycle for a moment before reluctantly putting it on. She inquired, "Whose motorcycle is this?"

Rachel had spotted this motorcycle in an automotive magazine before. Its price tag was astronomical, an amount she could never accumulate even with countless jobs.

"I borrowed it from a friend. My boss's villa is a bit far from here, out in the suburbs. I'll take you there."

Rachel hesitantly settled onto the motorcycle.

"Let's go!" Dominic glanced back at his wife before lowering the helmet visor.

Rachel clung tightly to Dominic's T-shirt as he sped away on the motorcycle. The wind whistled past her ears and tousled her hair, gradually drowning out the sounds of the road.

Previously, Rachel associated motorcycles with rowdy bikers who disrupted the peace with their loud engines. However, this motorcycle was different. Its engine emitted only a gentle hum.

"Dominic, why is it so quiet?" she asked with a puzzled expression.

"Are you referring to the engine noise?"

Dominic suddenly halted the bike to wait for a traffic light to turn green, causing Rachel's chest to bump into his back due to inertia. He glanced back at her and smiled.

"My dear wife, do you see me as one of those countless hooligans who disturb the city with their noisy motorcycles? This one has a silencer. I don't want to be a nuisance on the road," he explained.

Chapter 64: "Colors of Uncertainty"

The Vyrus motorcycle belonged to Kristian, designed for serious racing. Rachel blushed and retreated slightly, adjusting her coat.

The rest of the ride was smooth, and upon arriving at the so-called boss's villa, Dominic escorted her to the front door.

Unbeknownst to Rachel, this villa belonged to her supposedly financially-struggling husband. It remained sparsely decorated because he had never lived there.

"Welcome!" A woman in her forties answered the door on the first ring. She introduced herself as Dominic's boss's wife and led them into the villa.

"Hello, ma'am. What style of wall painting do you want for this villa?" Rachel inquired. The wall in question didn't appear too wide, and she estimated she could finish it today.

"Keep it simple but unique, in grey. Feel free to choose any style for the rest," the woman replied after taking a sip of tea and casting a glance at Dominic. She continued, "I've already bought the paint buckets and tools you'll need. I'm going shopping with my neighbors later. Take your time."

With determination, Rachel prepared to complete the painting today, given her limited availability on weekends. She tied her hair into a ponytail, rolled up her sleeves, and donned an apron. Mixing the paint expertly, she began her work.

"Are you not going back to work?" she curiously asked, sensing Dominic still lingering.

"No, I took the day off. Let me assist you. I can hand you the paint as you need it," Dominic offered, taking off his jacket and squatting beside the paint buckets.

"Thank you, but I can manage on my own," Rachel replied. She preferred solitude but didn't chase him away, focusing on her task without breaks.

Hours passed, and the setting sun cast warm, orange rays into the room. Rachel took a moment to rest, her aching arm pausing mid-paint stroke. When she looked around, she noticed Dominic was no longer on the sofa.

Rachel pouted and lowered her head in disappointment before laughing at herself. "Rachel, you're such a fool. Did you expect him to wait until you finished? Weren't you the one declining his help?"

A peculiar noise interrupted her thoughts. She glanced toward the door to see Dominic returning, holding takeout bags. His eyes held an enigmatic glint, and a warm smile graced his face.

"Were you looking for me? I went to get dinner. You've been painting for a while; I'm sure you're tired and hungry now. Come and eat," he said warmly.

"Oh, you're still here. I thought you had left," Rachel replied indifferently, concealing her delight. She averted her gaze and continued painting despite her aching arm.

Dominic smiled without comment, unpacking the takeout bags and setting the table.

The meal was steaming hot, and the desserts exuded a rich, creamy fragrance.

"Come, eat. You need to recharge your energy and take a break. I'll help you with the painting while you eat," Dominic suggested as he walked over, taking the brush from her.

He made it appear effortless, given his height advantage. When she attempted to retrieve the brush, he raised it higher, giving her a view of his chiseled jawline. The proximity between them sent butterflies fluttering in her stomach.

Reluctantly, Rachel joined him to eat quietly. As she nibbled, she stole glances at Dominic, who continued to paint.

"What does this man feel for me? Does he love me? Sometimes he seems indifferent, but other times, he's so caring, like a loving husband. How can someone be so hard to read?" she wondered.

Rachel had a modest appetite and didn't consume much. Dominic, on the other hand, devoured the remaining leftovers as if he hadn't eaten in a week.

By nine o'clock in the evening, Dominic's boss's wife returned to the villa and promptly inspected Rachel's work.

A deep frown creased her face upon seeing the wall.

Observing the woman's discontent, Rachel cautiously inquired, "Ma'am, are you not satisfied with the painting?"

Seated cross-legged on the sofa, the woman looked grumpy as she glanced at the wall painting and snorted. "I don't like the colors. I asked for something simple, not fancy or complicated. These patterns don't match my villa's style. I don't understand what you were thinking. I didn't ask for random colors. My villa will be occupied soon, and you're delaying our move-in."

Anxiously, Rachel explained, "I painted according to your specifications. The colors are white and gray, which complement your villa's style. Ma'am, if you're dissatisfied with any aspect, I can make adjustments."

The woman, sipping her coffee, glanced at Dominic, who remained silent and observed the situation.

"How can you adjust it? I don't like it at all; it doesn't meet my requirements. How will you change that? Your portfolio looked impressive, but I never expected such a terrible outcome. Now I wonder if your previous works were genuine. This is a disaster, and I'm at a loss for words. Leave," the woman pointed at the painting, pretending to find nonexistent faults and feigning dissatisfaction.

Infuriated, Rachel began packing her belongings. "No one has ever questioned the authenticity of my work. If you're unsatisfied, please find someone else."

Chapter 65 – "A Lover's Quarrel"

"Of course, I'm going to find someone else!" The woman pointed angrily at the door. "Get out now!"

Rachel took a few steps toward the exit, then halted abruptly, pivoting to glare at the woman. "I will leave, but you must settle the payment first!"

"You've damaged my wall. I haven't even mentioned compensation yet. Why would I pay you for ruining it?" The woman's tone dripped with venom. "If you don't depart immediately, I'll have security escort you out."

With a pretense of making a phone call, she secretly questioned her decision. Had she gone too far? After all, quarreling with the CEO's wife was a risky endeavor. 'Why did he ask me to do such a dreadful thing?' she pondered.

Dominic stepped forward, positioning himself protectively beside Rachel. "It seems you're satisfied with the painting, and you're looking for faults just to avoid payment."

The woman sneered, "Do I appear incapable of paying for this trivial artwork? I said I'm dissatisfied. Can't you comprehend that?"

Dominic firmly gripped Rachel's arm and confronted the woman. "If you fail to honor the agreement, you'll regret it."

The woman was taken aback, unsure of how to respond. Although she knew the CEO was merely playing a role, he exuded an intimidating aura.

"Who do you think you are? Fine, I'll pay!" She retrieved her wallet and handed over the prepared payment to Rachel.

Without a word, Rachel accepted the money and meticulously counted it, while the woman watched and scoffed, "No need to count it; I wouldn't cheat over such a small sum."

Suddenly, the door swung open. "What's all this noise? I could hear you arguing from the front yard."

A middle-aged man, who had seemingly aged himself with hair gel and makeup, entered. The woman hurriedly approached him.

"Honey, you're back. What kind of employee do we have? He just threatened me!" she lamented, tears in her eyes.

The middle-aged man was none other than Dominic's subordinate, who had gone to great lengths to play the role.

Dominic, now playing the boss, faced scrutiny. "Dominic, what's happening? How dare you threaten my wife? You're fired!"

Dominic maintained his composure and gestured to Rachel, pulling her towards the door. "If you want to dismiss me, go ahead."

The man clenched his teeth and shouted after Dominic, feigning anger, "We'll see about this! You'll regret it!"

Dominic seemed unperturbed. He grasped Rachel's hand and exited the villa. The night had fallen, with stars glittering in the sky.

After a few steps, Rachel halted and turned to Dominic, who had stopped behind her. "You shouldn't have defended me. You've offended your boss. What will you do now?"

Rachel was genuinely worried for Dominic. His lack of formal education and illegitimate birth made her fear further disdain from the Klein family. The threat from his boss lingered as well. 'What if he seeks revenge?' she shuddered.

“It was my business too. I couldn’t watch others bully my wife. Don’t worry about it. You don’t have to feel guilty.”

How could Rachel not feel guilty?

Although Dominic seemed casual, he treated her like a princess. If she planned to leave him for some reason one day, the pain would feel excruciating as if someone had ripped her heart right out of her chest.

The wind whistled in the night. Rachel lowered her head and tried to get hold of herself.

“I could have handled it on my own, Dominic.” Her voice drifted with the wind.

She had always been alone and fought her own battles.

Dominic walked up to her, and Rachel saw his yellowing canvas shoes.

She looked up, and her gaze met his enigmatic eyes.

Dominic smiled and gently stroked his hair. “You have a husband now. It’s different.”

Dominic’s broad chest blocked the wind as he stared into her eyes.

“Let’s go back. It’s late,”

Rachel said in a hushed voice. His words both confused and touched her. She turned around and continued to walk forward.

Dominic followed Rachel and caught up with her.

The cicadas chirped in the quiet summer night.

All of a sudden, Dominic felt something touch his finger. He looked down and saw Rachel clasp his finger.

A smile tugged at the corners of his lips, and his face softened. He gently held her hand and caressed her fingers with his thumb.

“I really want to kiss you. Can I?” Dominic’s voice was thick with lust as he stared at her supple lips.

Rachel’s eyes widened. She didn’t know what to say to him. She felt his actions proved his affection for her.

Rachel’s ears turned red. “Why are asking me that?” she murmured shyly.

Dominic shook his head in amusement. Rachel had just told him that he couldn’t touch her without her permission.

Dominic leaned toward her. He kissed her lower lip and gently licked it. Rachel moaned in the back of her throat.

He nibbled on her lip, making her eyes flutter close. As soon as Rachel’s mouth parted, Dominic lifted her in his arms. She involuntarily wrapped her legs around his waist and rested her head on his chest.

His chiseled, muscular body made her heart stutter.

Last edited:
Chapter 66 – "The Deceptive Drama"

Rachel found herself unable to evade Dominic's grasp, their breaths labored as they held each other close.

"Shouldn't you return the motorcycle?" Rachel, with a flushed face, rested her head on his chest, listening to the rhythmic beat of his heart. She licked her swollen lips and smiled slyly.

"No need. My friend will handle it," Dominic replied nonchalantly, his magnetic, playful smile causing her heart to skip a beat. Her gaze remained fixed on him.

Kristian would have no choice but to handle the Vyrus himself.

Dominic lightly pecked the corner of her lips. "Your lips taste like strawberries. I quite like it. So sweet."

It was nearly nine when they finally arrived home.

As soon as Rachel entered their apartment, she rushed into the bathroom to shower.

Dominic, on the other hand, was engrossed in his phone on the living room sofa. Just then, a message popped up from the subordinate who had played the role of his boss.

"Boss, what should we do with the painting on the wall?"

Dominic, growing impatient, typed his response. It was evident that they needed to keep the painting.

Meanwhile, the bathroom door swung open.

Realizing that she had forgotten to bring a bath towel, Rachel decided to sneak into her room to retrieve one.

The TV blared with a football game, masking the sound of her footsteps as she passed behind Dominic, who remained oblivious.

As Rachel quietly walked past him, she caught a glimpse of his phone, revealing a message about the painting on the wall, asked with respect.

Rachel froze in her tracks. Her expression darkened as she pieced together what had transpired.

"Dominic!" she exclaimed, her voice sharp, startling him.

Unprepared for Rachel's swift return from the bathroom, Dominic instinctively hid his phone behind his back upon hearing her voice. But it was too late, the fury in her eyes told him so.

Rachel slumped weakly onto the sofa.

The window was open, and her long hair swayed in the breeze as she sighed and closed her eyes.

After a moment, she turned to Dominic, her gaze now cold and distant. "What on earth is going on, Dominic?"

It had all been a ruse.

Rachel had been deeply touched when Dominic stood up for her, but now she felt foolish.

"I can explain," Dominic began, glancing at his phone, trying to maintain his composure. Inside, he seethed at his subordinate for ruining his perfectly orchestrated plan.

"Damn it! What a foolish, inept man! Why did he have to send that message about the painting now?"

"No need!" Rachel retorted angrily. "I saw everything clearly. You conspired with a group of people to deceive me," Rachel sneered.

Dominic was taken aback.

He rubbed his temples and exhaled deeply. He didn't want to admit his wrongdoing.

Rachel had caught him red-handed, and Dominic dared not deny it. He sat up, gazing at her with a semblance of innocence. "Yes, it was a setup. We rented a villa."

Rachel crossed her arms, her anger palpable. "Do you think I'm a fool?" Her voice quivered with rage. She took a deep breath to regain control. "What possessed you to do something so foolish? Do you have money to burn? It was a reckless stunt."

"I just wanted to see you happy," Dominic said earnestly, kneeling in front of Rachel and grasping her knees. "Please don't be angry with me. I'm sorry."

Rachel shook her head and attempted to leave.

Dominic, however, grabbed her shoulders, and they both tumbled back onto the sofa.

Rachel's face burned with anger, and she hurriedly grabbed her clothes, fearing the worst. Dominic's dark eyes bore into hers, a terrifying intensity in his gaze. "Do whatever you want, but don't ignore me."

"You're insane!" Rachel yelled as she struggled to break free from his grasp. "Don't touch me! You tried to deceive me. Why would I listen to you?"

Before she could utter another word, Dominic enveloped her in a tight embrace.

His body trembled as he couldn't contain his emotions any longer.

Dominic, a prominent figure in the business world, was feared by many. However, his voice wavered as he spoke. "Don't be scared. I won't do anything without your consent. I just want to talk to you. Please listen to me."

He knew Rachel was upset but was unsure how to make amends.

"I want you to know that I care deeply about you. If my actions upset you, I'll find another way to make you happy. When you told me about Braden a few days ago, I realized it was my fault that it seemed like I didn't care. Believe me, I do care about you. Scold me, reprimand me, do whatever you need to release your anger, but please don't ignore me. I've never been in a relationship before, and we're newlyweds. This is all new to me, and I'm bound to make mistakes. Correct me if I do something wrong, but don't turn your back on me. I want to be a better man, a better husband for you."

Dominic locked eyes with Rachel, their faces mere inches apart. His piercing gaze held her captive.

The scent of autumn wafted through the open window, the wind tousling Rachel's hair. She pursed her lips and averted her gaze.

"Stand up first, and then we'll talk, I promise," she said, attempting to push him away, her nose almost brushing against his.

"No," Dominic insisted, holding her even tighter and maintaining eye contact. "You'll run away. You can't leave without giving me an answer tonight."

Rachel pinched his arm, her anger slowly subsiding.

She could see that Dominic was inexperienced in matters of love, but he was willing to make an effort to change for her. It was evident that he genuinely cared.

However, Rachel wasn't ready to forgive him easily. She rolled her eyes and looked away. "Fine, I'll let it go this time. Just don't make such a foolish mistake again. It cost us time and money. Now, let go of me. The hot water is still running in the bathroom, and I need to shower."

As soon as Dominic released her, his heart sank. It felt as if something crucial was missing.

Chapter 67 – "Dominic's Swift Move"

Dominic acted on impulse, swiftly grasping Rachel's hand and pulling her back.

"Ah! What's your hurry? We've come to an understanding, haven't we?" Rachel exclaimed as her balance gave way, and she found herself leaning into his arms.

Dominic pursed his lips, his gaze sweeping over her face, bathed in soft light, making him appear like a hunter ready to capture his prey.

"I want to kiss you."

Before Rachel could react, he gently cupped her cheeks and nibbled on her lip. Despite his cold demeanor, he had a talent for feigning innocence.

He possessed a more potent and commanding presence than the others, a fact that Rachel had yet to fully grasp.

Dominic continued to nibble on her lower lip and skillfully entered her mouth with his tongue. She instinctively wrapped her legs around his waist.

The howling winds outside seemed to have paused, and the room fell into a hushed stillness, as if time itself had come to a halt. The only sounds that broke the silence were the rustling of clothing and their soft moans in the tranquil night.

"To my room?" Dominic's voice trembled with desire as he lightly traced his fingers along Rachel's lips, tucking a stray strand of sweaty hair behind her ear.

Before Rachel could answer, Dominic kissed her earlobe, effortlessly lifted her, and carried her to his room.

Their kiss was so intense that it left Rachel dazed and breathless, her face flushed. Overwhelmed by ecstasy, she bit his shoulder, her eyes rolling with desire, unsure of how to respond.

Dominic pressed her onto the bed, and their passionate kiss seemed to convey his complete control over her body and emotions.

"Dominic, wait…" Rachel murmured weakly as she felt his hands slip beneath her clothing.

"Hush... Don't speak or think, just leave everything to me," Dominic's magnetic, low voice sent shivers down her spine, as though he had cast a spell over her.

Rachel wrapped her arms around Dominic's neck, responding to his fervent kiss by sucking on his tongue as he thrust it into her mouth.

Dominic removed his jacket as he positioned himself above her.

But then, as Dominic's hand ventured under her dress and touched something unusual, his movements halted, and he pulled back, gazing at her in confusion.

"Are you on your period?"

Rachel leaned against his arm, gasping for breath, her face scarlet. "I told you to wait," she muttered, avoiding his gaze.

Dominic did some quick mental calculations and realized that indeed, it was her time of the month.

He sighed, stepping back and wrapping the quilt around Rachel. "When will you…"

"In three days."

Dominic tenderly stroked her hair, then buried his face in her chest, taking in a deep breath. "You smell divine."

A few moments later, Dominic stood up and kissed the corner of her lips, his bloodshot eyes revealing an unreadable emotion.

"Alright," he swallowed and cleared his throat. "Go to bed early. I'm going to take a shower."

Containing his raging desires was no easy task.

Dominic had grown impatient with waiting for Rachel to allow him to make love to her, and now that she didn't resist his advances, his desires had reached their peak. Unfortunately, he couldn't proceed further due to Rachel being on her period. Dominic felt as if he were about to burst into flames from the intense desire that coursed through him.

Clumsily, he grabbed his jacket and headed to the bathroom.

Rachel was wrapped in the quilt, her flawless face the only thing visible. Her watery eyes met Dominic's, and she pursed her lips, still tingling from their kisses. "Alright, sleep well. Goodnight."

Her pristine beauty had the power to stir the protective instincts of any man.

Dominic leaned in and kissed her lips. "No wonder you were so cooperative today," he whispered, chuckling. "I won't let you go next time."

With that, he entered the bathroom and took a cold shower until his heated desires subsided. Once Dominic was safely inside, Rachel sneaked back to her own bedroom, her legs still trembling, and her heart racing.

On Monday morning, Dominic arrived at work with a visibly grumpy expression. His intense gaze and tense aura sent shivers down the spines of the senior executives at the Porter Group.

After the meeting, Kristian approached him, concern etched on his face. "What's going on, buddy?"

Dominic's jaw tightened, and his brows furrowed as he looked at Kristian. "Quit with the gossip, will you?"

"No way, I want to know what's eating at you." Kristian had a knack for noticing the slightest nuances.

He could tell at a glance that something was amiss with Dominic.

After much prodding, Dominic finally spilled the beans about the previous night's events. Hearing the story, Kristian burst into laughter.

"Oh, dear! It seems you have zero talent for wooing women. Who uses such an outdated trick? No wonder you got caught. But at least everything's alright now."

Dominic scowled at Kristian, ignoring his teasing.

Meanwhile, after work, Rachel headed to the supermarket for groceries.

Dominic was a man with a hearty appetite, and he could devour a fridge's worth of food in a day.

Rachel had to stock up; otherwise, Dominic would leave her with an empty kitchen.

Rachel peered out of the bus window, taking in the sparkling cityscape. It was late summer transitioning into early autumn, and the ginkgo leaves lining the streets had turned a brilliant shade of yellow.

She admired the scenery with a contented smile. As the bus passed by an upscale club, her eyes widened.

Joseph, Kate, and Ivonne stood at the club's entrance, dressed elegantly as if attending a party.

Just then, the bus came to a halt, and Rachel hurriedly grabbed her grocery bag and disembarked.

The Daley family had reneged on their promise to repay her, citing financial constraints. Yet here they were, enjoying themselves at an extravagant club.

Rachel clutched her groceries and marched toward them.

She had been worried about covering Norma's medical expenses. Given the posh setting, Rachel believed Joseph and Kate wouldn't cause a scene. She saw this as an opportunity to collect the money they owed her.

Kate was adjusting her attire when Rachel approached. Just as Kate, her husband, and daughter were about to enter the club, Rachel intercepted them.

"Since you can afford to have fun in such an upscale club, I'm sure you can afford to settle your debt with me as well," Rachel declared loudly, drawing the attention of onlookers.

Kate's smile vanished in an instant. She hurried over to Rachel and snapped, "What a surprise, Rachel! What brings you here? What nonsense are you spouting? How can a grown daughter keep asking her parents for money?"