Blind Date Turned Proposal by Mr. Adeel

Description of Novels
Author:
Mr Adeel
Title: Blind Date Turned Proposal Ra Genre: Romance
Language: English Read Online Pages: Ongoing

On the day of the blind date, the man turned out to be fat, short, and greasy! What could she do but run? Josie Warren was about to escape when the man at the next table stopped her. Why was this man so familiar? He… he was her immediate superior, Dexter Russell, a rich tycoon worth millions! What he said next surprised her immensely. “Josie, what about marrying me?” Marriage? Had Dexter been crushing on her for years? Did he set up this blind date to accidentally bump into her? Only highly skilled hunters would appear like prey. So why not! He had the looks and the money, after all. Josie acted on it instead of thinking about it. “Sure! Let’s get married! I will do as you wish and

Chapter 302 Who Is That Woman?

He slowly turned and met Josie’s embarrassed gaze. At that moment, her heart beat furiously. The person he

likes…

“The person I like is here.”

Everyone gasped. Josie shut her eyes.

“But she isn’t feeling well, so I can’t dance with her.”

After that, Josie breathed a sigh of relief. She saw the man’s broad figure gradually back away and was slightly lost in thought. She had really overthought things when his gaze had met hers.

Tsk. I shouldn’t have thought about it.

She raised her hand to look at her watch. She wanted to stay for another ten minutes before leaving. Dexter replied, ‘I just finished.’

When are you coming back?‘

She thought about it before deleting the message. Instead, she replied, ‘Rest well.’

Laura was still busy socializing. Josie thought she was capable enough not to make trouble on such an

occasion, so Josie left the hotel first. But she saw a familiar figure in the corridor.

Xanthe?

Xanthe exited the car and entered the hotel as the servers guided her. Shortly after, Arnold appeared and shook hands with Xanthe before walking together to the end of the corridor.

Why is Xanthe here?

Josie took a deep breath. By right, Russell and Carter Groups‘ partnership had ended. Xanthe had no reason to meet with Arnold. Was there something going on between the two of them?

She didn’t think about it further and followed them cautiously. Her heels didn’t make a sound on the soft carpeted floor.

They entered a room but didn’t shut the door. Josie hid in a corner and faintly saw a young woman in a white dress appear. Josie couldn’t see the woman’s face, but she looked fragile yet elegant.

The woman faced Xanthe, and Josie didn’t know what the two were talking about. Xanthe hugged the

woman.

Josie’s brows furrowed. Who is this woman? Is this the person Arnold mentioned? The woman he likes?

Just as she was pondering, a shadow towered over her. “How long are you going to watch?”

Josie was startled and fell backward. Just as her head was about to hit the wall, the man caught hold of her and covered her mouth as he dragged her to the stairs.

“Mmph!”

Josie struggled with all her might and panted as she stared at the indifferent man. “What are you doing?!”

1/2

He was in the room. When did he come out?

Arnold let her go and laughed in his rage. “I haven’t asked you what you’re doing by snooping on my personal life.”

Josie suddenly lost her confidence and said softly, “How is this considered your personal life?”

“What did you see?” Arnold put one hand against the wall and had a reckless smile as usual. “Why? Did you feel jealous, Mrs. Russell?”

“Pfft!” Josie didn’t hold back. “You should know your limits.”

Arnold smiled calmly.

“Who is that?” She asked in the end. ‘What relationship do you have with Xanthe?”

Arnold’s smile slowly dimmed. He wiped her lipstick with his fingers. “Josie, I don’t tell you certain things for your own good.”

She didn’t understand and shook her head. “I won’t be able to sleep if you don’t tell me.”

He hung his head slightly and smirked. The two were very close. Josie wanted to avoid him, but she couldn’t.

“Go home. Your driver must have been waiting for a long time.” After that, Arnold pulled away indifferently and entered the room again.

This time, he shut the door.

Josie was left confused. She didn’t understand.

Moses had been waiting long and was smoking in the driver’s seat. “Dexter called me and asked me where you were.”

Chapter 303 Framed by Plagiarism Again

Josie came to her senses and turned on her cell phone. There were a few unread messages.

Are you home?‘

“Tell me once you’re home.

She immediately replied, ‘On my way now.”

Actually, she wasn’t confused. Arnold didn’t meet many women like that. There was only one possibility. Is Summer back in the country?

That can’t be. Laura and Summer are good friends. How would Laura not know if Summer was back? Laura didn’t act strange at all today.

Josie held her cell phone and hesitated for a long time. She didn’t jump to conclusions, but her heart beat furiously. She had an ominous premonition.

She returned to everyday working life after Carter Group’s anniversary celebration ended. Dexter’s business trip this time was exceptionally long. He was so busy he didn’t even have time to call her.

Josie had a fixed routine. Other than visiting her father, she was engrossed in polishing her design. Her and Laura’s designs were selected for the semifinals.

Laura said disdainfully, “Try harder if you want to win.”

Josie didn’t want to fight with her.

Kevan didn’t make it into the semifinals. She looked at the name list and sighed. But at this time, she saw a familiar name. Claire Wilcher.

Claire Wilcher? Claire!

Was she shortlisted too?

Josie hadn’t heard anything about Claire for a long time. She was momentarily baffled. Claire was fired from Russell Group because of her devious behavior, but she was professionally capable. She must have wanted to win an award and make a comeback.

Josie’s thoughts were simple. But shortly after, she received a call from the awards organizing committee. “Ms. Warren, the design you submitted resembles another contestant’s. We’re very sorry, but we must start an investigation.”

It was a bolt from the blue. Josie suddenly stood up and said disbelievingly, “How can this be? Who is the

other contestant?”

“Claire Wilcher.”

Josie was dumbstruck.

It was impossible. Josie hadn’t seen Claire for a long time, and the two never interacted. How can our design

be similar?

The organizing committee didn’t elaborate.

1/9

Josie subconsciously wanted to call Dexter. She hesitated for a long time and didn’t call him in the end. She called Calvin instead.

“Design work?” The two sat across from each other. Calvin turned on her laptop and took a look.

“Yes. I’m perfectly sure that I never met Claire in person, but I don’t know if my laptop was breached.” Josie was slightly anxious. “I thought about it but didn’t know who to approach, so I came to you.”

Calvin glanced at her kindly. “You’re welcome to come to me when Dex isn’t in Wavery.”

Warmth spread in Josie’s heart. It felt like she had a family because of Dexter. She felt reassured.

“I installed a firewall for you the last time your laptop was repaired. It couldn’t have been breached.” Calvin didn’t find traces of her laptop being breached. “Think about it. Did you really not meet Claire?”

“I didn’t.” Josie was sure.

The last time she saw Claire was when Claire was beaten up. She didn’t know what had happened to Claire after that.

Calvin tapped his fingers against the desk. “How about this? Instead of just waiting anxiously, why don’t you initiate an attack?”

“What do you mean?”

Around two hours later, Calvin received a document. It showed a detailed record of Claire’s current situation. She had broken up with Mr. Yves, and her pregnancy was terminated. After that, she interviewed for jobs but ran into dead ends. She was living a simple life.

“I’m leaning toward the possibility that someone peeked at your laptop and sent the design to Claire.”

Chapter 304 Who’s Outside?!

Josie was slighals frustrated and couldnt think of anyone who could do that Mr Barrett, do you trust me some What if I was the one who plagiarized her?

Calvin’smiled “You’re not that kind of person”

Josie vighed

He passed her a pen I was a recording device. She’s meeting a man in Heaven on Earth today I’ve found a way to replace the man and arranged un opportunity for you”

He worked methodically, and Josie immediately felt more at ease. “Thank you”

He waved his hand. You’re welcome”

Therefore, Josie stayed in Heaven on Earth the whole day. She told Dexter everything through text and sounded slightly coy at the end. Why am I so unlucky?

He didn’t reply at once

She couldn’t hold back and called him, but he didn’t answer. However, she realized that his number now had a Wavery area code.

Is he back?

Did he just get off the plane!

Josie didn’t dwell on it. Her mind was filled with what would happen at night.

At night. Claire arrived on time, as expected. It seemed like her first time meeting the man, and she had her guard up. But shortly after, the two went into a private room together.

Calvin’s voice rang in Josie’s Bluetooth carphones. “She was going to meet with the head of a design company. She wants to be hired.”

Josie felt disdainful. Claire always liked to play such games.

After around an hour, the man finally started to question her. Claire was inebriated and not fully clear- headed, so some of her words were distorted. Josie had to guess what Claire was saying.

“Many companies will want to hire me after 1 win an award. You’re planning ahead by hiring me first.”

“How do you know that you’ll win an award?”

“Heh… because that wench is pretty good. Don’t worry. The organizing committee won’t find out.”

Josie was alarmed. It’s her!

“How did you get her design?” He steered the conversation.

“It’s… all thanks to that woman I thought she lied to me. I never thought she would really come through.”

In an instant, Josie suddenly saw the light. It’s Laura… Yes. Only Laura could have approached me and seen my design. She was even contemptuous when she saw it, but she did such a despicable thing!

Caise repentesty wwned by name and called her nasty names

hot who was made, held the recording device tightly When the man was done questioning Claire, he

test her

sleep

Joe was wat on the spot and couldn’t come to her senses for a long time

Calviny w rang in het Bluetooth earphones You should leave.”

Joe was about to in and leave but perhaps her legs were weak because she was distracted She subwww.ously hel

in the corner but lost commod The vase suddenly fell and shattered into proves hudly. The shattered pieces tell everywhere and sut her hand I made her cry out in pain loudly

The loud noise awoke Claire, who had shut her eyes and was about to sleep. At that moment, she wasn’t sleepy at all. She tore off her covers and got up before she asked the man, who was also startled, “Who’s

She was immediately wary and seemed to have understood something. She got out of bed and ran outside

The man couldn’t stop her in time. Claire had opened the door viciously and was in disbelief as she saw Josie panicked and standing on the spot.

Calvin was saying something urgently in Josie’s carphones. She covered her bleeding wrist, and she was in a daze. Her mud was blank.

While Jose was in a dare, it was as though Claire saw her mortal enemy. She ran to Josie without caring. alsout anything else.

“It’s you, you b*tch”

Chapter 305 He’s Back

“Smack!’ Claire slapped Josie loudly. Claire had used all her might, and Josie’s head was turned to the side from the force of the slap. Josie tasted blood in her mouth. Claire loathed Josie, which was why she was so vicious.

“You have the nerve to set me up?!” Claire gestured threateningly, and Josie covered her face with one hand. Her face was swollen, and she slowly came to her senses.

She heard hurried footsteps in her earphones. Calvin told her to leave quickly.

Leave? Josie’s bad temper rose at once. She slapped me. How can I leave like this?

The man restrained Claire, and Josie suddenly raised her hand without any sign or explanation. She returned the slap with the same force rudely and viciously.

She wouldn’t be satisfied if she didn’t hit Claire. “Claire Wilcher! I should have beaten you to your death last time!”

“You! I’m going to kill you!” Claire’s eyes were bloodshot as she struggled with all her might.

Calvin’s subordinate signaled Josie with his eyes. “Quickly leave!” After that, he mouthed, the recording is more important!

Josie thought about it with her remaining rationality. It made sense to her. She hid it and turned to leave but didn’t expect Claire to be so sharp. Claire leaped to pull Josie’s hair. “You have a recording!”

Josie was caught off guard as Claire pulled her backward. Her scalp hurt, and she cried out loud. Her Bluetooth carphones fell out.

Before the man could intervene, they suddenly heard a sharp voice. “What are you doing?”

The three of them stopped at once and looked toward the voice.

He came hurriedly with bodyguards behind him. He looked livid, and no one could stop him as he rushed over. Calvin had arrived.

Claire was clueless. “Mr. Barrett? This is our personal matter. You don’t have to interfere.”

Calvin raised his brows at her and glanced at the man beside her. “You can go downstairs. Ms. Devlin is waiting for you.”

“Yes, Mr. Barrett.”

Claire suddenly saw the light. She looked at Calvin, then at Josie. “Did you work together to set me up?”

Josie stood up straight since she had someone on her side. “How can someone be so dumb?”

“You should leave,” Calvin said to Josie.

She looked away in disgust and left.

She ran down the stairs, and her hands were sweaty as she held the recording pen.

Thankfully, she had gotten evidence proving that she didn’t plagiarize. It wasn’t too tricky.

She suddenly met with a bright light on her last flight ist stairs

Josie’s eyes adjusted to the glare, and her footsteps stopped

The figure leaning against the wall was chillingly calm Josie almost went weak at the sight of his familiar hgures

Peter Why is he here?

“Dex’ You’re back” Josie smiled and quickly ran down the steps. “Did you see the messages I sent you? But how did you know I was here? What a coincidence”

The stairs weren’t very well-lit. The emergency light shone dimly, and it was quiet around them.

Dexter’s thin lips were pursed tightly, and his expression was nasty. He asked, “Did you get the recording?”

Jovie nodded furiously. “Thanks to Calvin.”

He extended his hand. “Show me.”

Josie stood on the third step from the bottom as she looked at the man before her. He felt unfamiliar and strange. She unconsciously held the recording pen tightly and subconsciously thought she was still in danger even with the pen.

She didn’t move.

Two buttons on his shirt were unbuttoned, and half his collarbone was exposed. Light flickered on his side. profile, and he seemed dangerous,

He had a cold expression, and it put more pressure on Josic. She couldn’t keep her calm. “You haven’t told me why you’re here.”

Chapter 306 Taking the Recording Pen Away

The man raised his brows and said indifferently. “I saw your messages, so I came to pick you up

The two were slightly unfamiliar after not seeing each other for many days. “When did you come back?

Dexter straightened up Vestenlay”

“Why didn’t you tell me? Josie’s legs felt slightly weak.

She wanted to walk forward but lost her balance, and her body fell. The man narrowed his eyes, and she fell sately into his strong arms the next moment.

They were dazed by such an intimate posture.

His body stiffened. Josie saw the buttons on Dexter’s shirt and felt aggrieved for no reason. She pushed him away forcefully, expressing her defiance.

Dexter’s eyes darkened, and he held her tightly. He didn’t seem to want to let her go.

Josie panicked and said, “Dexter Russell!”

He said with a low voice, “Yes?”

At the next moment.

“Give me the recording pen.” She heard him speak.

It was as though she was splashed with ice-cold water.

Josie’s chest heaved. “Dexter, why do you insist on taking the recording pen?”

The man didn’t say anything.

She didn’t look away. She stared at Dexter. It was as though she could read his mind if she watched him.

The man looked to the side slightly.

His heart beat furiously when faced with Josic, who was on the verge of losing control. Various emotions surged through him, and he was about to give up.

But he still said, “Give it to me.”

Josie didn’t move. She was trapped in his arms, and she trembled. “What kind of a relationship do you have with Claire? Why are you protecting her?”

“Or do you mean to tell me that you’re protecting Laura? Why?”

Dexter’s lips moved, but Josie didn’t want to hear his answer. “Do you know what’s inside? It’s proof that she framed me! Do you think I believe that you’re taking this to clear my name after what you said?!”

Dexter wasn’t good at explaining. He took a deep breath. “Just give it to me. I won’t harm you.”

Josie’s subconscious told her to trust him, but her gut told her she couldn’t.

“You won’t harm me? But you know that if I don’t publicize the recording, everyone will still belittle me

Taking the Recording Pen Away

regardless of my future achievements. They will think that I plagiarize habitually”

Her voice was strained as she screeched at him.

It was as though Dexter’s heart was pierced. He felt that he was losing her. He hugged her tightly and wa slightly panicked. “No, they won’t. They won’t dare to

Therefore, he was protecting Laura, as she had expected

Josie’s throat felt dry Dexter Russell. Im your wife Your first wife. We’re not divorced yet. I thought you understood me Even if you don’t have feelings for me, you should at least care for me a little, but what are you forcing me to do now? You’re pushing me to the edge You’re making me give up my reputation to protect another woman’s reputation.”

“Do I mean nothing to you? Am I just like a stray animal to you? You play with me when you want to, then throw me away when you have no use for me. I’m inferior to other women.”

She shivered. It was as though she was freezing and trapped in a refrigerator.

Dexter’s emotions were all over the place. He knew that he couldn’t stand her talking about herself like that. He didn’t like it. She sounded so miserable, as though the entire world had abandoned her.

“It’s not like that. You’ll have a better life. Laura messed up. Her life will be over if she’s exposed.”

Chapter 307 I Will Hate You

Josie almost couldn’t breathe. “You knew about this carly on, and you knew Laura did it, right? But you didn’t reply to my messages or tell me you were back in the country. What were you doing for the past few days? Can you tell me?”

His face was ashen.

Is Laura so important? Or is someone else so important that you’re losing control like this? But Dexter, I have my dignity too. How lowly do you think of me by saying such things?”

Her voice suddenly turned cold. “What if I don’t give it to you?”

He suddenly pushed her, and she fell against the wall. Her head fell back heavily, and she shut her eyes, but she didn’t feel the pain she expected. It was soft. His hand was behind her head.

The man before her grew slightly more forceful, and his expression was dark. He pulled his hand away and searched for hers. He suddenly asked, “I didn’t want you to go to Carter Group’s anniversary celebration Why didn’t you listen to me?”

To her, he was changing the topic.

Josie kept quiet and put her hand behind her. She was determined not to give it to him.

Dexter was growing impatient. He held her hand and pulled at it. “You knew I didn’t like you meeting with Arnold, but you still went, didn’t you? I personally saw you slap Claire. Isn’t that enough for you to vent?”

He was merciless, and Josie stumbled at his force. Her arm hurt, and she groaned subconsciously.

Dexter was taken aback by her whine, and his force decreased, but he didn’t let go.

Josie was suddenly angered and abruptly started struggling fiercely. She started pounding at him with her hands and feet. Her gaze was livid as she screamed and cried, “Dexter Russell! Get lost! Don’t touch me!”

Dexter held her in his arms and was displeased with her struggling. He lost control and accidentally hit her jaw. He didn’t hit her hard, but the sound of it made the two stand at the spot, startled.

Dexter seemed to lose his temper and easily took the recording pen from her hands while she was distracted

Josie felt utterly weak.

Dexter furrowed his brows. He felt great fear. The man didn’t know how to explain it to her. Anything he said to her now would be considered a feeble excuse.

Josie stared at the recording pen in his hands, and her voice trembled. “If you take it away today, I will hate you.”

The man trembled, and his grip subconsciously tightened.

He still took it with him in the end.

The tearful woman looked like a fragile porcelain doll under the light.

Josie sat paralyzed in the master bedroom of Mason Garden. Dexter’s secretary looked at her. “Don’t take it to heart. Mrs. Russell. Mr. Russell has arranged for people to explain everything to the organizing

committee. Everything is just a misunderstanding. You can still continue on in the competition.”

Josie sat on the floor and didn’t say a word. Her face was pale.

“Perhaps Mr. Russell is returning the favor since Ms. Brandel saved you. You know how it is.”

Josie still kept quiet.

+15 Bonus

The secretary could only sigh. “We received some photos a few days ago of you and Mr. Carter on the stairs in an intimate position. Mr. Russell was enraged when he saw it, but he didn’t tell you.”

Josie finally understood when she heard it. She looked up and sneered. “So, are you saying that he’s taking his revenge?”

“No.”

“When did he return to the country? I want the truth.”

The secretary was dumbstruck and put in a difficult spot. Two days ago.”

It seemed to be much earlier. “What did he do after coming back?”

I can’t say.”

Chapter 308 House Arrest

Josie shut her eyes and felt the pain of being deceived. She hugged her arms “You may leave

She was depressed for two days. Dexter didn’t return to Mason Garden either Josie wasn’t one to be hard on herself, but she felt she was pushing herself too much. Perhaps she needed to do some soul-searching

She booked a flight ticket to the north.

But she didn’t manage to leave.

Many people were still at the Wavery airport late at night Josie was detained for no reason as she passed through the security check. It attracted many people’s attention.

An airport staff rushed over apologetically and asked slightly embarrassedly. “Are you Ms. Warren?”

His superior had blown his phone up with calls in the middle of the night. He thought it was a crucial case, but when he rushed to the scene, he discovered it was only to detain a woman.

Josie was indifferent.

“Ms. Warren, we might have to use force.”

The light in her clear eyes slowly dimmed. She said. “What if I insist on leaving?”

Insist? Can I stop her? Of course, I have to,

His superior had been in a panic. It was evident that Josie had offended someone of significant stature. Perhaps she had committed a great offense.

Josie held her boarding pass tightly and didn’t hear what the man said. She was silent for a moment before she turned to leave.

Outside the airport, she saw a Mercedes Benz AMG G 63 rush over silently. It came right at her. The vehicle sped at her quickly, and Josie didn’t expect it. She stood on the spot and didn’t move. She watched as the car drove toward her.

She only knew one man who dared to drive at such a speed.

The vehicle approached quickly. No one knew what Josie was thinking about at that time.

Just as the Mercedes Benz AMG G 63 was about to crash into her, the driver suddenly braked. The wheels screeched loudly on the ground and made an unpleasant noise.

The incoming breeze swept Josie’s long hair. It was unavoidable, and she shut her eyes.

The car was less than seven inches away from her. She would have seen the pearly gates if the vehicle had braked any later.

Josie forcefully restrained her trembling and opened her eyes. She looked into the calm and pitch-black eyes of the driver.

The headlights of the Mercedes Benz AMG G 63 were so bright and piercing that it made her tear up.

She stood miserably in the light and had nowhere to hide.

Josie was basically put on house arrest.

It was one of Dexter’s tricks. His ways were impenetrable. He wouldn’t make a mistake on something he had decided to do.

Like right now.

She was staying in the same house with the same people. Still, Josie and Dexter’s relationship had changed.

It was the first time Josie was expressing such indifference. She went along with everything, but she refused to speak.

The servants in Mason Garden could tell that Josie seemed demoralized about everything. It was as though she had given up completely.

It wasn’t a good sign.

“Mrs. Russell, you have to eat something. A whole day has passed, but you haven’t eaten much. It’s not healthy.” Mrs. Carroll stood by Josie’s side respectfully and persuaded her patiently. “Look at this. I made it for you.”

Josie was lost in thought as she sat on the balcony. She had a blanket around her and looked down expressionlessly at the approaching car. It was slow and not aggressive like that day.

She could still remember how the man had charged at her. If he had gone any faster, she would have been killed.

Chapter 309 Deadlock

Wavery had no shortage of wealthy young men and luxury cars. However, most cared about their family reputation, so few dared to use their authority as blatantly as Dexter did and sealed off the highway. He drove recklessly and way above the speed limit.

Josie’s face was pale. She keenly sensed the car’s dangerous speed and gripped the seatbelt tightly. clenching her teeth to prevent herself from shouting out loud.

The car finally stopped at Mason Garden. Josie fought back the urge to puke and gritted her teeth as she looked at him. Her eyes flashed with hatred. “Dexter, are you insane?”

Dexter was furious. He gripped her chin and tilted it. I usually don’t care about someone’s life, but unfortunately, you are my wife. We haven’t divorced. I don’t want to be made a widower while I’m still young. It’s bound to be humiliating

He spoke rapidly as if running away from something.

Josie looked into his eyes as if looking at a stranger. After a while, she raised her hand and slapped his face with all her might.

Dexter did not dodge. His head leaned slightly to the side from the force of her slap. Then, he looked back at her and licked his lips, looking alluring but dangerous. At the same time, he did not hesitate but opened the front passenger door and dragged her out of the car. The servants were already gathered outside the house to welcome them. Dexter pushed her to them in disdain.

“Keep a close watch on her.” He would not tolerate any disobedience.

Then, he returned to his car without hesitation or a backward glance and sped away, leaving a plume of dust in his wake.

After he left, Josie could no longer hold back her tears. She struggled free from the servant’s hold and crumpled to the floor, bursting into tears. Her image meant nothing to her at this point.

Dexter returned to Mason Garden the following few days and behaved as usual. However, he never took a step into their bedroom. Anyone could see that what happened between Dexter and Josie was more than just a quarrel this time.

It was past midnight, but Josie was still awake. She could not fall asleep.

Rain began to splatter outside. When Josie finally fell into a light sleep, the phone by her pillow suddenly buzzed and vibrated violently. It was incredibly frightening in the darkness.

Josie picked up the phone and saw that it was an unknown number.

Who would call me in the middle of the night?

Her finger hovered above the screen, unsure whether to accept the call. The call was like Pandora’s box. She had no idea what would happen if she were to answer it.

The phone vibrated for a while before stopping by itself.

Josie breathed a sigh of relief and put the phone away. However, it suddenly rang again. Her hand shook, and her heart pounded from fright.

The number kept calling her for nearly half an hour. Josie looked at the screen from afar. She was not sure

why she was wary about answering it. At the same time, the caller was persistent. The constant buzzing made her panic. Ultimately, she answered it and asked, “Who is it?”

Josie was afraid.

What scared her more was the silence on the other end. She could not hear any noise at all. Her voice trembled as she repeated the question, but there was still no response.

The caller hung up.

Dexter had indicated that she could return to work, but she must not even think of leaving Wavery.

After wallowing in misery in Mason Garden for a few days, Josie thought about her unfinished work and washed up before heading to Russell Group.

As expected, Laura did not come to work. Alice said she had family matters.

How could she have any matters? She’s only too afraid to face me.

However, Josie did not care. She could see from the present situation that Laura’s plagiarism scandal was still under wraps. It seemed the competition committee dealt with the matter well. No one knew that she colluded with Claire and caused such an incident.

Dexter had always been thorough in everything he did.

Chapter 310 Interrupted Seduction

Josie’s heart was numb. Alice flipped through the pile of documents on her table. “You haven’t been to the company for a few days. Did something happen at home?”

“Something like that.”

Alice noticed Josie seemed distracted and reminded softly, “Don’t forget. You need to bring these documents to Mr. Russell for his signature.”

Josie closed her eyes and felt fatigued all over her body.

In the end, she made her way to the top floor. The secretary informed her that Dexter was not in.

Josie nodded and did not say anything. However, the secretary suddenly grabbed her wrist and whispered, “Mrs. Russell, Mr. Russell is having a business meeting in this place. This document is urgent, so please find him here.”

She stuffed a note into Josie’s hand. It was written with an address.

Josie frowned and tossed it into the bin. “I’m not going.”

The secretary was stunned and rendered speechless. She picked up the note from the bin and said, “You must. It’s urgent.”

Josie looked into her eyes and ruffled her hair in frustration. She had no choice but to take the note and leave.

It was a racy entertainment establishment. The music was loud, and many people were dancing.

Josie did not head straight to Dexter’s private lounge because she was unsure how to face him. Instead, she went to the ladies‘ room to compose herself.

She placed her hand on the door and took deep breaths to calm herself down. Then, she tucked away the stray strands on her forehead and looked up, stunned by the scene before her eyes.

The man troubling her thoughts for days was right before her.

His clothes were disheveled. Two of his shirt buttons were undone, revealing his well–defined collarbone. His chest heaved with uneven breath.

A half–undressed woman with a seductive appearance clung to his body. She seemed on the verge of forcing herself on him.

Dexter’s expression changed rapidly. He seemed crushed.

But Josie interpreted it as guilt.

Her heart sank to the lowest depth and turned cold.

Their gaze met. Their hearts were troubled by conflicting emotions.

The woman atop Dexter finally noticed something wrong and stopped what she was doing. She gradually turned and saw Josie. “Who are you?”

No matter how calm josie was about catching her husband cheating, it was hard not to be shocked by the

scene before her.

She felt as if struck by lightning.

Dexter’s expression was terrible. He looked grim and intimidating.

Josie sneered but did not say anything. She concealed her shocked expression and gradually approached the stunned woman before helping her put her clothes back on. Her voice was calm and relaxed as she buttoned the woman’s clothes. “It will be easier if you don’t wear a bra. Also, why did you choose to do it in the washroom? It’s too risky. Won’t it be embarrassing if someone walks in?”

The woman trembled all over. It must have been her first time doing such a thing.

Josie felt warm tears on the back of her hand. She paused and stood up before facing the woman calmly. “Will you be leaving on your own or…”

The woman ran out of the ladies‘ room before Josie could finish her sentence. She was afraid that Josie would continue to mock her humiliating state.

It seemed she still cared about her dignity despite what she did.

Josie turned around slowly. There was not a hint of anger on her face. Instead, she smiled and asked, “Are you okay?”

Dexter looked intimidating when he remained silent. His expression was grim and darkened like a sky on the verge of a storm.

He did not say anything but glared at Josie. His gaze filled with unquestionable authority.

Then, he said gruffly, “Do you have nothing to say?”

Josie remained indifferent. There was none of the jealousy, anger, and distraught a wife should feel. Instead, she looked into his eyes calmly. “I didn’t find any hickey on her body. I came here at the wrong time.”

Chapter 311 I’m Willing to Step Down

Dexter’s chest burned with raging fury. His tone turned icy cold, “Why are you here?”

“To get your signature.” Josie touched his chest and helped him button up his shirt. She showed no reaction to the hickeys on his chest. “I didn’t mean to interrupt. You should have a good talk with her later. or she will be sad…”

Dexter grabbed her hand before she could finish speaking. He narrowed his eyes. “Doesn’t it bother you?”

Josie looked at him and asked, “What should I be bothered about?”

Dexter leaned down slightly and was momentarily stunned as he looked into her sparkling eyes. She’s right. What do I want her to be bothered about?

He frowned and replied calmly, “Ask me, and I will explain.”

Josie closed her eyes before opening them again. She looked alluring as she said, “But I’m not interested to

know.”

Dexter/knew what she was feeling. “What do you want me to do then?”

“I’m willing to step down from my position if needed,” Josie answered frankly.

“What did you say?” Dexter growled.

“I’m willing to step down if needed…”

“I dare you to say it again!”

“I’m willing to…”

A strong masculine scent suddenly assailed Josie’s nostrils. Suddenly, her lips were forcefully sealed by a kiss.

He bit her lips and pushed his tongue against her teeth, forcing them to open. Then, his tongue dived in, filling her mouth with a familiar taste. However, she immediately pushed him away.

Their chests rose and fell from exertion. At the same time, they glared at each other fiercely as if seeing their most hated enemies.

Josie breathed in. Her head felt dizzy. She was unsure why she pushed him away. All she knew was that she felt disgusted in the brief moment they kissed.

“Josie, are you jealous?” Dexter opened his eyes and asked earnestly.

Josie shook slightly as she looked at how stern Dexter was despite being in a ladies‘ room. He leaned down slightly and seemed serious about his question.

Seeing him like this struck a massive blow to her confidence. She laughed in anger. “Excuse me, Mr. Russell. Why would I be jealous about that? You were only making out with a woman in the ladies‘ room. It didn’t develop beyond that. All that happened was that she kissed you. I’m not that petty.”

Dexter pressed a hand to his forehead upon hearing her. He took a few steps closer and explained, “A business partner tried to scheme against me. He sent the woman to trick me into coming here. I didn’t know she would be here.”

Josie calmly retreated a few steps. “Is that so? With your level of intelligence, you must have known that it was a trap, right? Yet, you still chose to come here.”

How far would they have gone if I hadn’t shown up?

Josie was usually not that quarrelsome. She would normally tone down once he explained. However, she did not do that this time but disputed with him.

Dexter did not think he had done anything wrong, and his patience ran thin. He narrowed his furiously gleaming eyes. “Josie, have you had enough?”

I’ve only just started. He already can’t stand it?

Josie wanted to laugh. Hearing his harsh words against her made her determined to argue back. “I suppose I can stop now. If I were to bring up all your scandals, it would take days. There would be no end to it. After all, you have so many female companions.”

On the other hand, I, his legal wife, am as insignificant as an ant to him.

Her words caused Dexter to burst into fury. He almost cursed out loud. “Josie, why are you still holding it against me? I’ve dealt with the plagiarism matter for you. You didn’t lose anything.”

Dexter still thought he had done a great service for her. That made Josie feel even more dejected.

Chapter 312 Divorce Agreement

“I wonder whether my father will scold me for marrying you rashly if he finds out how unhappy I am

now.”

Her words were like needles stabbing straight into Dexter’s heart.

He hated such feelings and retorted harshly. “I’ve told you back then. Our relationship is purely contractual. I grant you status as Mrs. Russell and provide your father with medical treatment in exchange for your help at that time. It’s a fair deal. Why are you angry? You can pretend to be pure and innocent before me but don’t expect me to cherish you as if you are.”

His every word wounded her heart.

You can pretend to be pure and innocent before me but don’t expect me to cherish you as if you are.

Josie could not help but tremble as she looked at him. She had always known he was harsh with his words. It turned out he could be this vicious when angry and shattered all her hope with mere few words.

“Dexter!”

Dexter continued harshly, “Speak up if you have something to say. Don’t waste my time.”

His expression was cold as ice. There was not a hint of compassion.

Josie shut her eyes tightly and fought hard against the desire to faint.

I’m truly an idot. Why did I expect him to be merciful with me? Why did I think of waiting for him to come around? Now, it seems I was stupidly naïve.

His heart is hard as stone. I’m afraid he will never turn gentle for me, not even for appearances.

Josie could hardly breathe. “Dexter, I wish to request something. I wonder if you are willing to grant it.” Dexter sneered, “What do you want?”

Josie felt words on the tip of her tongue, but she opened and closed her mouth repeatedly, unable to say anything.

She never dared to unleash her full anger at him. She feared he might leave if she told him to. Moreover, she knew how insignificant she was to her, so she never dared to throw a tantrum.

Dexter was still smiling. He mocked her inability to speak, “What is it that you can’t even tell me?”

Josie looked into his eyes and answered, “A divorce agreement.”

Did she cause all this fuss to ask for a divorce agreement?

Josie witnessed his smile stiffen.

Although she was afraid, she felt satisfied seeing him like this.

“Why?” His voice turned cold.

“You’re asking me why?” Josie looked at him, opened the folder, and handed him a pen. “I thought you

wouldn’t care about divorce.”

Dexter did not accept the offered pen. He felt gloom shrouding his heart. “Is it because of Arnold?”

Josie forced him to take the pen. “Please sign the document so I can begin work, Mr. Russell.”

She behaved as if they were already divorced and their relationship was that of an employer and employee.

In that instant, Dexter sensed they had returned to being strangers. After experiencing many things and their physical intimacy, he could never see her as only an employee.

“Is it for Arnold?” Dexter raised his tone. Anger grew in his eyes.

“You think?” Josie slammed the folder shut and stood up against Dexter. “Right, I did it for Arnold. I’m in love with him and want to be with him. I want to marry him! Are you happy now?”

Why does he keep refusing to believe that there’s nothing between me and Arnold? Dexter keeps running away from his problems and can never empathize with my hurt.

Chapter 313 Threaten Her

Dexter looked at her and nodded slightly.

Suddenly, he grabbed her wrist and dragged her out by force. Moses was waiting before the car. He was so stunned by the sight that he did not notice ashes falling off his cigarette.

Josie tried to break free but was helpless as he was stronger than her. He opened the door, pushed her into the car, and shut it immediately. The door slammed shut loudly.

Josie fell onto the backseat and felt pain in the back of her head.

Dexter suddenly pulled out an envelope. It contained a thick stack of photos. Then, he pulled out one by one and said, “You think I don’t know. I have photos from your first meeting with him till now. Do you need me to refresh your memories?”

He threw the photos at Josie. The sharp edges scratched her face, causing the wound to bleed.

Josie picked up the photos and found that Dexter was right. He knew everything and was aware of all her meetings with Arnold..

“You stalked me?” Josie looked up in astonishment.

“Why would I do that?” Dexter sneered and leaned close to grip her chin. “You are nothing but an accessory to me. Why would I bother sending someone to follow you? You think too highly of yourself.”

He understood her so well that he knew what to say to hurt her the most.

Josie looked at him and shuddered all over her body.

“Arnold had always arranged for someone to send the photos to me after your every meeting with him,” Dexter said uncaringly, causing her to break down quickly. “Do you know why he did it? Arnold and I have been rivals for many years. Everything he did was to hurt me. That’s why he approached you.”

“Josie, it’s not good to take yourself too seriously.”

Dexter was an expert in striking people where it hurts. All her defenses were useless against him. Tears fell against her will. She shoved Dexter away and screamed, “What am I to you? A tool? You knew I had met him, yet you said nothing. Did watching me running around for you make you feel accomplished?”

There was no escape from the cramped interior. Dexter glared at her in the darkness with eyes filled with hatred and disdain.

His words became even harsher in his disappointment. “He won’t be interested in anyone I discarded, so I advise that you stop dreaming about becoming Mrs. Carter. I’m telling you this out of good intentions.”

You call that good intention?

Dexter had long driven her to a mental breakdown. She screamed, “Why don’t you kill me. Dexter? You might as well kill me!”

Dexter was shrouded with hostility. He opened the door and let the cold wind rush in, causing Josie to shiver.

Without looking at him, she said, “I will send you the divorce agreement.”

Dexter paused but did not turn around. “Whatever. You can do that if you want your father’s. treatment to stop.”

He slammed the door again. Josie shuddered, and her lips were pale.

Moses must have received his order and cautiously got onto the driver’s seat. He did not dare to look at the backseat. “He… He told me to send you home.”

Moses turned around when Josie did not respond even after some time. Suddenly, Josie said, “I’m not going home.”

Moses frowned. “It’s not the time for you to throw a tantrum. You stand no chance against him.”

Anyone could see that, but Josie refused to heed his word. “I’m not going home. Didn’t you hear?”

Moses had nothing to say.

“Take me on a drive.”

Moses could not kick her out of the car. He had no choice but to drive around Wavery. They spent the whole night traveling all over Wavery. All this while, Josie leaned against the car window in a daze and watched the sceneries pass.

Chapter 314 White Underwear

Josie seemed numb and unresponsive, like a zombie.

She was still wide awake at dawn but was a little tired. Still, she did not feel sleepy at all..

On the other hand, Moses was exhausted. However, he did not show any annoyance toward Josie but asked, “Would you like to have breakfast?”

Josie had no appetite. “You go ahead.”

She played with her phone for a long time before turning off airplane mode to call Arnold.

Arnold seemed to have just woken up and sounded hoarse. “Josie?”

Josie fell silent. She was unable to interact with him as she usually did.

“I would like to request your help.”

What Josie liked about Arnold was that he would not ask unnecessary questions. He agreed. readily.

“I want to investigate Laura and learn about her background and private life. At the same time, I want evidence that she plagiarized my drawing. I will never let her escape,” Josie continued.

She stood in the fresh morning air and felt the mist against her skin. Although her voice was soft, it was unmistakably determined.

Arnold fell silent.

Josie added, “I know you and her are considered allies, so you can choose to protect her. But if you’re willing to help me, I will repay you. It’s your choice. Also, feel free to investigate Dexter.”

After listening to her, Arnold asked, “What happened between you and Dexter?”

Josie did not answer but closed her eyes and hung up.

Moses returned with a paper bag full of breakfast. Josie asked him to send her to the hospital. Upon arriving at the hospital, she suddenly noticed something as she was about to exit the

car.

It was stuffed in the corner of the seat.

The thing was white and had a lacy hem.

Josie’s hands shook. She could not believe what she found and asked, “Moses, where did you pick up Dexter from yesterday.”

Moses appeared troubled. He pursed his lips and seemed apologetic. “I’m sorry. I’m not permitted to reveal this.”

He could only watch as Josie pulled out a white bra from the corner of the seat. The bra looked sexy and had a big cup size.

Moreover, Josie was sitting in the same spot Dexter usually sat.

Moses wanted to say something, but Josie pushed open the car door and ran out to vomit into a nearby trashcan.

He remained stunned and did not know what to say.

The hospital was filled with the smell of antiseptic in the morning.

Josie sat before her father’s bed and appeared pale. She looked at him and said slowly, “Dad, I’m unhappy…”

There was no response except the beeping noises from the equipment.

It was still early, so Matthew had not come to work yet.

The nurse came to check on Josie’s father and was surprised to see her. “You’re here early.”

Josie nodded but remained silent. After another half an hour, Matthew came to check on her father and frowned upon seeing her. “Jo? What’s wrong?”

He instantly noticed something unusual about her.

Then, he went to her and touched her forehead, but her temperature was normal.

“I’m fine. I just finished working through the night, so I thought to stop by to see Dad.”

Matthew’s eyes flashed with concern. “Don’t you have him? There’s no need to work that hard, right? Your health is more important.”

Don’t you have him….

Josie replied tiredly, “Matt, do you also think I’m his arm candy?”

Matt was stumped. “I didn’t mean it that way.”

Josie smiled bitterly and shook her head. “Didn’t you say my father’s condition has improved a lot? Why hasn’t he woken up yet?”

“He’s much better now, Josie. I believe he will wake up after a little more time.” Matthew glanced at the man lying in bed and encouraged Josie. “Trust me. He will wake up soon.”

“Really? How soon?”

Chapter 315 You Can Always Rely on Me

Matthew pursed his lips and sensed her pressure. “Did something happen?”

Josie’s eyes became welled up with tears again.

She was on the verge of a mental breakdown. “I want to know how long exactly. I’ve been. waiting for three, no, four years. Matt, how much longer do I have to wait.”

Dexter’s words replayed in her mind. He would stop her father’s treatment if she divorced him.

“Jo, Jo….” Matthew did not hold back and hugged her. “It will be soon. I’m telling the truth. You have to trust me.”

Josie suddenly crumpled after having finally found someone she could rely on. She latched. onto Matthew’s shirt hem and wept.

She was so exhausted that she could barely walk. Thus, Matthew brought her to his office and let her rest on his couch. He guessed something had happened to her but did not dare ask.

Josie could not help but fall asleep. She seemed peaceful as she slept and looked adorable as a child. Matthew watched her in a daze until the head nurse rushed in. “Dr. Sander…”

She stopped in her tracks. “Is she…”

Matthew stood up immediately. “Is there anything wrong? What’s the matter?”

“Yes, please sign this. The nurse was older and instantly understood the situation. She glanced at Josie and said, “If I’m not mistaken, she’s married, right?”

Matthew’s expression turned grim. “Yes.”

The nurse sighed. “This is not proper.”

“My sister has a daughter. She is beautiful and attends medical school. Would you like me to introduce her to you?”

“Forget it.” Matthew signed the form. “I’m not interested in going on a blind date.”

“Don’t keep pining for the impossible. A man like you can easily have any other woman. Please heed my advice and let her go.”

As a bystander, she could see how this would end badly.

Matthew put

the pen away and seemed at a loss. “I can’t let go.”

Josie woke up in the afternoon and felt sore all over her body. She opened her eyes and saw Matthew working at his desk. The sunlight shone on him, putting a halo over the crown of his head as if he were an angel descended from above.

Matthew sensed her gaze and asked with a smile, “Why are you staring at me?”

Josie massaged her neck. “I wondered how it felt to be an angel that saves lives and heals the wounded.”

“You should eat something. I ordered takeaway. The soup is still warm.” Matthew smiled and brought the food over.

“I won’t be eating it. I don’t have any appetite.” Josie still seemed depressed. “I should leave. Matt, thank you for letting me stay here.”

“Jo!” Matthew shouted after her. “You mustn’t face everything by yourself. You can come to me if you’re in trouble. You can always rely on me.”

Josie smiled. His words were a shot of encouragement in her present state.

She did not return to Mason Garden but checked into a hotel. Surprisingly, Dexter did not. send anyone to drag her home. He probably knew she could not leave Wavery and decided.

to let her be.

The sky darkened earlier at the beginning of spring.

However, the city remained busy. Time seemed to freeze as the long lines of cars stuck in the traffic jam below.

The light in the hotel room was dim. Josie hugged her knees and sat before the bay window. Her hair flowed down her shoulders and concealed half of her face. One could still see her beauty even under the dim light.

Josie turned to the window and saw a vast expanse of scenery outside.

She suddenly recalled when she was angry with Dexter and went to a movie with Kevan. After leaving the cinema, she used Dexter’s card to go on a shopping spree. Yet, he was not

angry

but raised her credit limit. She even invited Arnold to the hotel to make Dexter jealous.

After everything, Dexter let her press him onto the bed and have her way with him. She was most moved by him at that moment. It was because she could feel he cared for her, at least a little. (2)

Chapter 316 A Friend from University

Perhaps her love for him made her feel elated whenever he was a little nice to her However, if he were even slightly mean to her, she would wonder whether she had done something wrong

Thus, the yielded to him over everything and was constantly afraid that she would lose him anytime.

Unfortunately, Dexter would never understand such feelings. After all, she was not someone he cherished.

Josie waited for Arnold’s call for the next few days. However, all she received was Matthew’s invitation.

He invited her to meet at a revolving restaurant on top of a building. Josie searched for the table based on the description in his message and soon saw him seated at a table with his back facing her. She calmed her thoughts and slowly approached the table. Suddenly, she sensed something was wrong. There was a woman seated opposite him.

Josie paused immediately.

The woman was petite and had a shy smile on her delicate face. While she was not considered beautiful. her eyes were bright and charming.

Josie was stunned.

This woman was her best friend during university, Nancy Stewart.

Nancy was not originally from Wavery. She returned to Rivodia, her hometown, after graduation. They each became busy with adult lives and gradually lost contact.

Nancy bit on the drinking straw and looked up to find Josie stunned at her spot. She called out softly, Josie?”

Josie shut her eyes to stop herself from tearing up. As she walked to the table, Matthew stood up and looked at her apologetically. “Jo, you seem down lately. I happened to see your friend’s comment on Facebook and asked her to see you. Please don’t be angry.

He intended well.

Josie smiled. I’m not angry.”

“Jo, Nancy called her name tentatively.

Josie turned to her with a genuine smile. “Nancy, it’s been a long time.”

She sat beside her and patted her hair. “What brings you to Wavery? Are you here alone?”

Nancy instinctively glanced at Matthew and seemed concerned about something. “Yes, I’m a high school teacher…. but it’s not a school in Wavery.” She added the latter part for clarification.

Josie was surprised. “A teacher?”

Nancy smiled and explained, “I later decided to study hard… but I’m still far from your level. The tutor always liked to talk about how brilliant you were back then.”

Matthew saw her smile and was glad that he had called Nancy here.

The waiter soon served the food. Matthew took Josie’s bowl and filled it with soup. Then, he placed it before her and said. “You look pale. Are you not feeling well?”

Matthew spoke gently and comfortingly, calming Josie’s frustration instantly. She rested her head on her propped hand and answered, “Yes, a little.”

Matthew frowned. “What happened?”

Josie looked down.

Matthew did not relax his frown. “Jo, I want to know why your mood changed so drastically. Did something happen?”

Josie remained silent. She did not want to talk about it.

“It’s not the time to talk about this. Let’s eat.”

Nancy noticed something wrong halfway through the meal and left the table with Josie with the excuse of going to the washroom.

A Friend from University.

Her glory during her university days was all in the past.

Josie sighed and believed Nancy had probably let go of the matter. At least she was able to talk about the topic calmly.

Then, Josie and Nancy talked about their present lives. Josie mentioned she recently faced slander and plagiarism. Nancy slapped the table furiously and nearly jumped up from her seat. “How dare they do this. to you!”

Josie smiled and was touched by her concern.

Chapter 317 He’s Not the One

Once alone, Nancy asked softly, ‘I can tell from his words and actions that he’s a sincere man. Furthermore, he has a good job and cares tremendously about you. So, are you….*

Joste looked at her and replied solemnly. “There’s nothing between us. If I must describe our relationship. he’s only a friend.”

Nancy frowned and was stunned. Suddenly, she understood something. ‘Are you in love with someone else?”

Josie looked down, unable to deny her words. I’m already married.”

Nancy widened her eyes at the shocking revelation. Her tone instantly changed. “What did you say?”

She’s married? How could she be married?

Josie considered. Even though her disappointment toward Dexter grew, she still could not get him out of her mind or forget the things that happened between them.

“I got married last year.”

The sudden revelation left Nancy breathless. Her chest heaved and fell as she asked incredulously, “Does Matthew know?”

“He knows. Josie shook her head helplessly. “Matthew is a calm person. However, the calmer he is, the more difficult it is for me to say anything to him. I feel guilty whenever he is being nice to me. I hope you can help me to advise him.”

Nancy looked at Josie bewilderedly. “Who did you marry?”

Josie looked into Nancy’s eyes and slowly shook her head. “It’s not who you think.”

Nancy gradually stepped back. Her brow furrowed tightly. “I thought it would be….”

“He and I will never be together.”

At the same time, the lights were switched on in another spacious room. It seemed like a warm and cozy home.

A man sat cross-legged on the floor. He looked down slightly, casting a shadow on his gloomy but exquisite face.

His slender fingers were beautiful under the light. They held a high-resolution photo that showed a meek- looking woman.

The woman looked down as she walked along a well-illuminated street. Her white dress fluttered slightly as she walked. She looked stunning against the night scenery.

More photos covered the floor near the man’s feet. One of them showed her walking; another showed her entering a hotel. There was also a photo of her sitting before the bay window and one showing her slumped over the table, crying. Each picture showed a different action or scene but was about the same

woman.

Someone knocked on the door and came in, holding an envelope. He offered it to the man. “Mr. Russell. Mrs. Russell went out today.”

Dexter accepted the envelope expressionlessly. He quickly tore it open and took out the photos, still warm from printing. Then, he looked at them one by one. His expression gradually turned grimmer than it had ever been in the past few days.

He violently threw the photos on the floor. Josie, just you wait!

Nancy stayed in Wavery for two days. When it was time for her to return to Rivodia, Josie and Matthew sent her off. Before entering the security checkpoint, Nancy said, “Let’s meet again someday.”

Matthew hugged her and thanked her.

Then, Nancy came to Josie. Her voice sounded cold and stiff as she said, “Let me know if you ever come to Rivodia. I’ll bring you around.”

“Sure.”

“Did something happen between you and Nancy?” Matthew asked as he drove. “Something seems off.”

Josie lied without thinking. “We hadn’t met for a long time. It’s bound to be a little awkward.”

Matthew grunted and asked casually, “Do you feel better after talking to her?”

Josie had a bitter taste in her mouth upon hearing him. She adjusted her tone and took a deep breath before answering. “Thank you, Matt, for working hard to help me. However, my trouble is not something friends can easily resolve.”

Chapter 318 I Love You

Matthew focused on driving and did not speak.

“I’m a selfish person and have many flaws. People who get too close to me usually don’t end well. Matt,

you…

Matthew pursed his lips as he listened to her. He placed a hand on his forehead and interrupted her. “Do you remember the situation of our first meeting?”

Josie considered. “Yes, I worked in a bar then and got into a dispute with another girl. The dispute turned physical, but thankfully, you arrived to restrain her… Otherwise, I could have ended up severely injured.”

Matthew smiled and replied, “I never get involved in strangers’ matters, so think again. Where else have you seen me?”

Josie looked at his face and frowned. She could not remember anything. Then, she came clean. “I forgot.”

“It was in a physics class at Wavery University. You rushed into the classroom with a cup of Frappuccino. and bumped into me, spilling it all over me.” Matthew smiled as he recalled the past.

“We were in the same university?” Josie was surprised, but she could not remember anything. Then, she asked, “What was my reaction?”

“You seemed distraught and gave me the cup with some Frappuccino left, saying it was a gift for me. Then… You ran away. Matthew replayed the memory in his mind and could not help but smile with amusement. “Later, I found out you’re the person who surpassed me and took first place in my major.”

Josie understood what he was talking about, but she had no memory of them. She ruffled her hair and replied. “I was only lucky that time.”

“I didn’t expect us to be connected through so many things later.” Matthew looked at her and continued, “I did not expect to remain in contact with you because of your father’s condition.”

Josie said, “I feel life should not have become like this. It feels like something went off the rail along the

way.”

Matthew asked, “What is your ideal life like?”

It was a good question. Josie smiled dreamily. “In my ideal life, my father would be healthy, and I would have gone overseas to study design. My life would have taken a completely different turn. I would travel to numerous countries to see the world and meet people from different walks of life. Perhaps we would meet at a different place and time. We might have a drink before going our separate ways. There wouldn’t have been so much entanglement…”

“What would happen next?”

What would happen next? Josie’s smile froze. Her mind suddenly went blank. She subconsciously felt that the life she imagined did not interest her.

Matthew stopped the car once they arrived at the destination. He unfastened the seatbelt and turned to Josie. His heart suddenly thumped nervously. Then, he said, “Josie, I felt fear when I listened to you talking about your ideal life. Instead of yearning for the ideal life, I feel our life now is better. Despite all

the challenges and troubles, I’m thankful and glad to have met you”

Josie took a deep breaths and remained dazed for some time.

“Matt…”

I prefer our life as it is. I will do my best to save your father so that it will make you feel that life is worthwhile

“Why?” Josie was stunned.

“It’s because I love you.”

Josie pursed her lips and could not speak. Even now, there was only one man in her mind. That man was

Dexter.

She could not imagine how her life would be without him. All she knew was that it would be dull. It would not be as eventful as now and be filled with joys and disappointments.

But Matthew’s confession told her she was what he looked forward to in life.

She thought it would be unfair if she didn’t tell him the truth.

“Matt… I’m sorry. I’ve fallen in love with him.”

Chapter 319 Make Him Give Up

Josie saw Matthew’s expression gradually turn grim, but he soon appeared normal again.

“I know.”

Josie was surprised by his response. “You knew?”

Matthew rested his dominant hand on the steering wheel and seemed exhausted. “Jo, there’s probably no one in the world who understands you better than I do. That includes him. I have witnessed your joy. anger, and tears for three years. You are terrible at hiding your emotions.”

He understood her too well. Josie knew it was pointless to put up a front before him. She had no choice but to show him her true self.

“When did you find out?”

Matthew smiled bitterly and looked at the setting sun. “It’s in your eyes whenever you look at him.”

Josie thought she hid it well. In actuality, her affection for Dexter was so evident that any bystander could see it.

Silence followed. Josie looked down and said, “I’m sorry. Honestly, I knew you had feelings for me since -long ago.”

Matthew smiled slightly. “How did you know?”

She did not want to tell him that it was Dexter who kept reminding her.

“There’s nothing to be sorry about. You only can’t return my feelings. That’s nothing to apologize for,” Matthew replied without looking at her. His hands shook slightly on the steering wheel. “Is he good to you?”

“Good?” Josic muttered, “Sometimes, he’s so good to me that it feels like he’s willing to bring down the stars for me. However, when he’s mean…” He could be cruel.

“A prominent man like him must have plenty of ways to deal with someone. Matthew was a good judge of human character. He pitied Josie and felt helpless about her situation.

Josie could not deny that Dexter had many methods at his disposal if he wanted to punish someone. Still, he had not done anything to her. However, even his scolding was enough to make her depressed.

“Jo, you need to take good care of yourself. Let me handle the matters concerning your father, okay?” Matthew patted her shoulder and encouraged her. “You can call me whenever you need my help”

Josie retreated from him. “Matt, I’m sorry. This would be unfair to you. I shouldn’t do this. Let’s not meet outside the hospital from now on.”

Manhew’s hand hovered in the air. His gaze seemed even more forlorn than before.

I only see you as my brother. Furthermore, you deserve a good woman by your side. That woman is not

me.”

Josie opened the door and left.

The best way to make someone give up was to cut off all contact.

Josie knew it was cruel to do this, but she was unsure whether she could avoid taking advantage of his feelings for her.

Her conscience could not bear it.

Bonus

Four days had passed since Josie spoke to Arnold, but he still had not contacted her. She could not stand not doing anything while waiting and decided to return to Russell Group.

The employees in the design department were used to her coming to work late. As the superior, she had freedom in choosing when to go to work. However, that did not stop people from discussing her. They wondered why she had recently become careless about work and behaved as if she did not fear anyone.

Josie’s phone rang while she reviewed a project during the daily meeting. She glanced at the screen but did not answer it. However, everyone stared at her curiously, so she had no choice but to excuse herself. She answered the call before she could get out of the meeting room.

“The first prize?” Josie whispered in disbelief.

Alice could not resist her curiosity and leaned closer to listen in. “Is it the first prize for Interior Design Awards?”

Those words sent the meeting room buzzing with excitement. “My goodness!”

Josie is the first prize winner for this year?”

Chapter 320 Bankruptcy

Alice saw Josie’s aloofness after hanging up and complimented her non-stop. “Jo, you’re brilliant. You won Interior Design Awards’ first prize at only twenty-three years old! Do you know what this means?*

“My goodness. Why isn’t Laura here? I need to make her regret looking down on you!“

Winning the prize was an incredible achievement for a twenty-three-year-old woman. One should know that the youngest winner was twenty-eight before Josie broke the record.

As the winner, she would become the new standard in the design industry for the following year.

“Say something? Are you in shock?” Alice tugged Josie’s arm.

Josie glanced at the anticipating crowd and said calmly, “Let’s continue with the meeting.”

“Huh.”

“D”mn, why is she acting like she’s better than everyone.”

Josie did not have the mind to care about the whisperings around her. Her mind was preoccupied with what the committee had told her on the phone. After telling her about her winning, they added. “We have blacklisted Claire from the competition for life for committing slander and plagiarizing your work. The -whole industry will soon boycott her, so don’t worry.”

Such swift action could only mean a certain someone had a hand in this.

Just now, Josie desperately wanted to scream that Claire was not the instigator. Instead, the real culprit was Laura, who won second prize.

However, she could not say it.

After the meeting. Josie stopped Alice and asked, “Did Laura come to work recently?”

“I’ve never seen her even once. I thought both of you arranged to be late and skip work together. The design department is having some difficulty without its two key figures.”

Josie felt guilty upon hearing that. “Something happened recently, I won’t be late again.”

She had relied on wise sayings to sustain her for three years while her father was severely ill.

Men are unreliable, so one might as well depend on oneself. Moreover, one can afford to lose a man but not work.

Unfortunately, Dexter is my boss. He can fire me from my job whenever he wants.

No wonder the company doesn’t allow office romance….

Josie could not help but feel afraid after his cruel words to her. She could not yet hand in the divorce agreement for her father’s sake.

After leaving the company, Josie hailed a taxi to bring her somewhere. She instructed the taxi driver to send her to the house Dexter had brought her to apologize to Laura. She believed it was the Brandel family’s home.

She never expected to visit there again on her ownL

After getting out of the car, no servants came to greet her. Instead, she saw people moving all kinds of things from the house. It seemed something had happened.

Josie frowned and asked, “Sir, what are you doing?”

The man looked at her vigilantly. “What’s your relationship with the people in this house?”

Josie answered tentatively. “Employer.

“What the heck? The Brandel family has gone bankrupt. How can they be an employer?” The man laughed mockingly and instructed people to move things from the house.

Bankrupt? Josie widened her eyes in shock.

She realized these people were creditors who came to demand payment.

The Brandel family was likely unable to pay, so they moved everything from the house as collateral.

Josie sensed something was wrong and hurried into the yard. She saw a broken and tired woman seated in the living room. The woman seemed to have given up and did nothing as people moved things past her.

Josie was shocked by the scene. She came to the woman and realized she was Laura.

Are you also here to demand money? I don’t have it.”

Laura did not even bother to look up.

“What’s going on here?” Josie asked coldly.

Hearing her voice, Laura looked up at Josie blankly,

“Why are you here? Did you come to mock me?”

It seemed Laura had suffered through scorn and contempt recently.

“Mock you? I don’t have time for that. Where’s your father?”

Laura laughed and looked heart-wrenchingly pitiful. “What do you expect? He has always been an irresponsible man. He abandoned my mother and me once. What’s stopping him from abandoning us again?”

Chapter 321 It Wasn’t Her

Laura sat still and answered emotionlessly. “He ran off.”

Josie recalled that Laura’s father looked like an elegant gentleman. “He ran off?”

It felt cruel that her family secrets were exposed at this moment.

“What about your grandfather? I remember he…”

“He’s hospitalized for cerebral hemorrhage. No one knows whether he will survive.” Laura’s tone remained indifferent as if she was merely a bystander.

Josie was stunned. She did not expect Laura to be going through such severe matters. “How did the family go bankrupt?”

Laura no longer had the patience to answer her question. She pushed herself to stand up. “Why are you here?”

What do you think?” Josie’s tone was also impatient. Her predicament was not enough reason for Josie forgive her.

She stared at Josie before breaking out in laughter. “I don’t have time to play a guessing game You better get straight to the point.”

with you.

Josie observed Laura. Her gaze seemed calm and open. There was not a hint of guilt from having done something wrong.

“What is it, Josie? Are you here to laugh at me?” Laura continued through gritted teeth. She seemed on the verge of a mental breakdown.

Josie took a deep breath and sensed something was wrong. “You haven’t been to work for many days. As the supervisor, I have to check if something is wrong.”

Those words seemed to calm Laura’s mood considerably. She looked away and said. Tve been absent from work for so long. Dex must be angry with me.”

He’s not angry with you at all. In fact, he even got mad at me because of you. Josie thought to herself. Then, she said, “He’s not angry, but I am.”

“You…”

“Let’s have lunch.”

Laura stood still and did not move.

“You still have to eat even though your family is bankrupt.” Josie glanced at the surrounding. “Or perhaps you have something valuable to guard in this house?”

Laura flushed red before turning pale.

In the end, she followed Josie out of the house. Josie brought her to a nearby restaurant. As expected,

everything was expensive in the wealthy neighborhood. Josie felt the pain in her wallet as the ordered food

“I’m not hungry.“ Laura remained uncooperative.

“But I’wo hungry” Josie picked up a toast and munched on it. “Can you tell me when did it happen!

“It was two days after Russell Group’s tenth anniversary.”

Josie calculated in her mind and realized it was quite some time ago. She narrowed her eyes and asked. “Was it due to poor management?”

“Yes” Laura took a deep breath and continued, “He was interested in a project and invested all the family’s wealth into it,”

It was clear who was the he’ Laura referred to.

She probably did not expect to lose her status overnight and become an ordinary company employee.

Josie suddenly understood why Dexter insisted on taking away the recording device. It was so that Laura would not be left destitute. Josie wondered if he knew about the bankruptcy in advance.

She focused on cutting her steak. “Apart from this, do you have anything else to tell me?”

Laura finally looked straight at her. “Josie, what nonsense is this? I don’t owe you anything. You must be happy seeing me in this state.”

“Oh, by the way, congratulations on winning the first prize. Did you come here to get me to congratulate you? Isn’t that petty?”

Her tone was sarcastic. However, it further confirmed Josie’s suspicion that it was not her who peeked at her drawing

Since it wasn’t her, why was Derter so protective of her?

Chapter 322 Asking to Borrow Money

“You should eat something “Josie placed the sliced steak before Laura but did to explain why she did that “You will face a lot more challenges from now on. How are you to face them if you won’t

Laura looked at her suspiciously. “You’re strange. Josie. Stop pretending to be nice. Don’t you hate me?”

“Honestly, I don’t,” Josie answered frankly. She did detest Laura a bit, but it was only because she mistook Laura slandered her for plagiarism. Other than that, she had no reason to hate her.

“Why?”

“Apart from your self-inflated ego, unreasonableness, and arrogance, you are actually quite kind. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have gotten yourself injured to save me.” Josie smiled. “Perhaps you’re a bit dumb, but I don’t hate pretty bimbos.”

Laura’s expression darkened slightly. She could not tell whether Josie was complementing or mocking her

“You’re the dumb bimbo!”

Josie rested her face on her hand. “If you’re unsure how to handle hospital matters, call me. I might not know much about other things, but I have dealt with hospital matters for years. So, I know a thing or two about every department in the hospital.

Laura reluctantly ate some food. Suddenly, Josie did not seem as annoying to her as before.

“Are you trying to show off?”

“Miss, who would want to show off about hospital matters?” Josie retorted in disbelief.

Laura was stumped. She paused briefly, saying, “Can you not tell Dex about my situation?”

Josie choked upon hearing her. “I don’t have to say anything. He probably already knows…”

Laura widened her eyes in realization before smiling bitterly. “You’re right. Everyone in Wavery probably already knows.”

It was a harsh world and materialistic world. Everyone who had flattered Laura turned on after her family became bankrupt. She must have suffered from their disdain and abandonment.

Later, Josie went outside to wait for her ride. Laura remained in the restaurant and looked at her from the window. Her gaze seemed dazed.

She gripped her phone and hesitated for a long time before dialing a number. The call rang for a long time before someone answered, “Hello?”

Laura took a deep breath before saying. “Is it okay if I borrow some money from you?”

A blue Cayenne arrived to pick her up. Her expression changed slightly as she saw the car.

The driver came out to open the door for her. “Ms. Warren, please come in.”

Josie hesitated briefly and was not sure how she should face the man.

Asking to Borrow Money

Arnold wore a black shirt and was engrossed in reading a newspaper. He seemed a perfect image of self-

restraint.

He glanced at her and smiled. “Seems like I don’t have to buy you lunch.”

Josie looked at him firmly. “Is this why you didn’t respond for so long?”

Hearing her, Arnold folded the newspaper and set it aside. The Brandel family had deep pockets, but most of their wealthy had been squandered in recent years. Laura knew nothing about it. She’s like a younger sister that I’ve watched growing up. I have to give her a hand”

His words made Laura seem like the bad guy.

“Also, she has nothing to do with what happened to you in the competition.”

The car traveled steadily. Josie looked out the window, but the spring scenery gave her no comfort.

“Are you and Dexter biological brothers? Otherwise, how did information travel between you two so soon?” Josie said mockingly.

However, Arnold was not angry. He crossed his legs and replied, “I have people in Heaven on Earth.” In other words, he already knew everything.

His directness rendered Josie speechless. She glared at him and said, “Aren’t you afraid I would reveal your

secret.”

“You can tell anyone you want.” Arnold laughed.

His laughter angered Josie so much that she desperately wanted to wipe the smug look off his face.

Chapter 323 Plagiarism Exposed

Arnold brought her to a quiet café. Josie refused to go in, but he did not force her

She knew she had no chance of escape. Thus, she remained in the car and took a nap. However, various thoughts would bother her as soon as she closed her eyes. Furthermore, Dexter’s face appeared clearly among the fragmented memories.

It caused her to be unable to sleep.

Since sleep was futile, Josie took out a sketchbook from her bag. She glanced around, trying to decide what she should draw. Then, she noticed Arnold was seated at a seat by the window. His hair was slightly messy, but his face looked handsome from any angle. He had a relatively high nose bridge and looked a little foreboding as he pursed his lips.

She could not resist picking up her pencil and drawing an outline of his appearance. The pencil lead produced soothing noises as it glided on the paper.

After half an hour, Josie patted the paper and propped it up. Her drawing of Arnold appeared life-like. Moreover, she was satisfied with how she sketched the shadow beneath his lashes.

However, she was still bored, so she touched up and edited the hastily sketched drawing.

She was so engrossed in it that she did not notice someone appearing beside her.

“What are you drawing? A familiar voice sounded.

Josie was surprised by the voice and loosened her grip, allowing the sketch to fly from her hands and land: by Arnold’s feet.

Arnold looked down to see what it was. Josie was so embarrassed that she desperately wished the ground would swallow her whole.

He picked up the drawing and looked at it earnestly. He seemed satisfied with it. “You draw well”

Josie was not sure how she should respond. “Are you praising my artistic skills or bragging about your good looks?”

Then, she felt she needed to clarify the matter. “I didn’t set out to draw you. I was just… bored.”

Arnold leaned against the car door. He seemed a little smug as he waved the drawing. “Can you give this to

me?”

Josie was left with no choice. “Sure, as long as you don’t use it to sue me.”

Im not that petty.”

It was early evening. Josie was pondering something when she received a call from Alice. “It’s bad. Interior Design Awards announced that someone discovered that your drawing had many similarities with Claire’s!

Josie frowned and thought to check the announcement with her phone, but it was inconvenient with an ongoing phone call. Arnold offered his phone and said, “Use mine.”

News of plagiarism was already all over Twitter.

1/2

<

Chapter 323 Plagiarism Exposed

Alice asked, “This is slander, right? Are you looking for evidence?”

“Not yet. I suspect someone in the company is behind this.”

#5 Bonus

“Let’s not worry about that for now. You need to go online immediately and check Twitter!” Alice’s tone grew more urgent.

“I don’t know who posted Claire and your designs on Twitter, but the comment section is exploding with criticism.”

The post was posted from a burner account. It had no words and contained only photos. One was a photo of Josie’s design with her signature glaringly visible below. The post compared it with Claire’s drawing and caused an uproar,

Isn’t Josie the one who made a public announcement?”

‘She won Interior Design Awards with a plagiarized drawing. It makes me skeptical about Russell Group’s standard.

“There are many plagiarism cases these days, but I’ve never seen one as obvious as this. What the heck?’

The number of comments grew to thirty thousand within a short period. At the same time, netizens fervently trended #RussellGroupJosie Plagiarism. The matter had gotten out of control.

It seemed someone deliberately dragged Russell Group into this matter. Thus, Josie knew she was not the only one being targeted.

She glanced at Arnold, but he raised his eyebrows, indicating that he had nothing to do with this.

The comments were filled with harsh and vicious words. Josie did not know any of these people, but that did not stop them from making malicious speculations against her.

Chapter 324 Loss of Trust

Strangely, Josie became calmer as she read on. Even though this was her first time experiencing such a situation, she knew the public had blacklisted her.

It was unpleasant to be reviled by the public.

Public opinions were destructive in large numbers.

Josie remained silent for a long time, prompting Alice to call out worriedly, “Josic, Josie? Are you still there?”

“Yes.” Josie returned the phone to Arnold. “All I can say is if someone wished to get me boycotted, she has succeeded.

Alice was worried about Josie. “Should I get someone to find the IP address for you?”

“No need. We won’t be able to find it. Let’s not waste our energy.” Josie was so calm that it was scary. “Anyway, thank you, Alice.”

She hung up and looked squarely at Arnold.

“Why are you staring at me?”

“Was it you?” Josie asked solemnly. The person targeted me and dragged Russell Group in. Of all the people I know, you’re the only one who could have wanted to do this.”

“Your reason is unjustified.”

“I hope you will come clean to me.”

Arnold replied solemnly, “Would you believe me if I say it wasn’t me?”

He was right. Josie did not believe him even after he denied it. She looked away. “You have depleted all my trust for you.”

Arnold pursed his lips and checked the surroundings before entering the car. “What did Dexter tell you?”

It was nine o’clock at night when Dexter came out of a meeting on the top floor of Russell Group.

It was pitch black outside the floor-to-ceiling window.

Dexter carried his jacket and undid the top two buttons of his white shirt. He appeared stern as usual.

His secretary was checking something on an iPad. She rushed to Dexter upon seeing him. “Mr. Russell.”

Dexter handed the jacket to her and walked ahead steadily. His voice was low and solemn as he said, “Has she returned?”

The secretary understood who he meant and answered, “Not yet.”

Dexter paused and frowned slightly.

The secretary showed him the iPad. “Mrs. Russell is in trouble.”

Dexter stared at the iPad screen. It was the Twitter post exposing plagiarism of Josie’s design drawing. He

|||

1/2

Chapter 321 Loss of Trust

read through the comments speedily, but they kept increasing. Every comment contained offensive words against Josie.

His gaze flashed threateningly. However, he immediately composed himself and appeared calm. “Have you found out who did it?”

“Not yet.”

The secretary thought Dexter would be furious or at least show some reaction. Unexpectedly. Dexter behaved as if the matter was completely unrelated to him.

She asked cautiously, “Mr. Russell, should we… help her?”

“No.”

Dexter put his hands in his pockets and paused before his office door. He glanced in and stayed still, feeling something pressing on his heart. He needed something to relieve that oppressing feeling.

Dexter hated such emotions.

Then, he came to his senses and made a sudden decision. He returned the iPad to his secretary and said coldly. “Get rid of this mess, and don’t let me see it again.”

The secretary’s eyes brightened. “Yes, sir.”

Mr. Russell may seem heartless, but he will still protect his loved ones. Moreover, he makes sure to protect them thoroughly.

She entered the secretaries’ office and rushed to her colleague’s desk. “Mr. Russell doesn’t want to see these trashy posts. Congratulations! You will have to work overtime tonight.”

Her colleague groaned. “This job has become unbearable ever since Ms. Miller left.”

Chapter 325 Prison Visitation

“Hey!” The secretary immediately glanced outside. “Don’t ever let Mr. Russell hear this.”

The colleague became silent and asked cautiously. “But I don’t understand. What happened to Ivy? What was her mistake that Mr. Russell made her leave?”

The two looked at a photo of Dexter and Ivy. Neither could understand why Ivy was placed on compulsory leave. Being on mandatory vacation may seem good, but it was only one step away from being fired from her position.

“I don’t know. It’s better not to question some things.”

Arnold brought Josie to the cafe he went to just now. The shop owner’s expression brightened when he saw Arnold return with a woman. “Mr. Carter, is she.”

“Bring us a pot of green tea.”

“Sure,” he replied, eyes still fixed on Josie.

The café’s private lounge was decorated in antique style. One could see the heavy traffic on the street. -outside. Josie was distracted. “Why did you bring me here? I want to return to Russell Group now.”

“To find the traitor?” Arnold poured her a cup of tea. It was still piping hot.

“Yes. Josie glanced at him.

“You believe it’s an insider’s job?”

“Only the staff in the design department had access to my drawings.”

“Even if one of the staff in the design department did it, they would have deleted the surveillance record. So, what’s the point of going there?” Arnold calmly exposed the flaws of Josie’s plan.

He’s right. I won’t be able to find anything in the surveillance record.

Josie calmed down and considered who in the design department hated her. She could think of a few, but they were petty rather than vicious. Furthermore, Alice was the only person who knew Josie had joined the Interior Design Award.

She could not help but worry and turned on her phone to see how the post had spread. However, she tapped into Twitter and found the post gone. No one seemed to be discussing the matter.

Josie frowned and logged out before logging in again. There was still nothing-

“Give me your phone.”

Arnold took out his phone and placed it in her hand.

Josie searched for the post again but could not find it.

“The trending topic is gone. Josie muttered in shock.

“The discussion endangered Russell Group, so the public relations department managed to remove it.”

Arnold realized what had happened. “It meant Russell Group still wanted to protect you.” He observed her expression closely.

But Josie believed it was more than that. She would not have noticed if not for Russell Group’s action She realized the reason Dexter insisted on hiding the matter was not to protect her from public criticism. Instead, it was to prevent her from finding out the actual perpetrator.

The phone suddenly vibrated in her hand. A few messages popped up.

It’s prison visitation day tomorrow. Will you be going again?”

‘Can you bring some summer clothes to your father? The weather is getting warm.”

Josie glanced at the messages and suddenly recalled she was holding Arnold’s phone. She was surprised and quickly handed the phone to him.

“I’m sorry.”

Arnold glanced at the screen and did not seem to mind. “When we met in the north of the city previously, I was visiting someone in prison.”

Josie frowned and suddenly understood what Dexter had said before. She mentally calculated the days and realized it was about time for him to visit again.

“Was the person your father?”

“Yes, he was sentenced to imprisonment for twenty years.

Twenty years was a lot. Josie sipped some tea to calm her nerves before asking. “Was it a criminal case?”

“He was charged with financial fraud. Arnold’s gaze darkened as he played with his phone.

Financial fraud cases were complicated. Moreover, for a wealthy family like Arnold’s, such a crime would permanently ruin their reputation.

Josie did not ask other questions. She rested her chin on her hands. “Arnold, is this why you’re against Dexter?”

Arnold was surprised and looked at her solemnly. “Do you know the whole story?”

Chapter 326 Marriage of Convenience.

Josie understood something. “I was right then” She stood up and went to the window. Her back profile seemed melancholic. “I should have listened to you and not trusted Dexter. Unfortunately, it’s to

She could not see his face from her position. On the other hand, Arnold sipped some tea and give you some money. Can you help me pass it to Laura?

*TH

“Why won’t you give it to her yourself?”

“I’m granting you a favor, Ms. Warren Arnold lazed in his chair and smiled nonchalantly.

Josie leaned toward him. Her hair swayed before his nose. She said. “Mr. Carter, please me.”

“I’ve been doing that all this while.”

Later, Josie returned to her hotel and was informed by the receptionist that someone upgraded her room

to a suite.

Josie stood before the floor-to-ceiling window that overlooked the city. She knew Arnold did

He always cared for her, but Josie was unsure whether she could trust him.

She considered herself a selfish person. Ever since she witnessed Dexter’s true colors, she decided not to.

Once Arnold transferred the money to Josie’s account, she invited Laura to meet. Then, she brought up the matter straight away. “You’re probably short on money Arnold told me to transfer the money to you. It should help you deal with urgent needs temporanly?”

Laura looked unwell. She shrank further into her chair, but her gaze was calm. “It’s a lot. I can’t accept it

“Seems like you still have some pride. However, as someone who experienced something similar, your future will be even more difficult.”

Laura suddenly looked into her eyes. “Josie. Dex also transferred money to me last night.”

Josie did not expect to hear his name suddenly and looked down instinctively.

“Do you know why they’re helping me?”

Josie shook her head.

“It’s because their common enemy owned the project my father invested in. Thus, they had no choice but to sacrifice the insignificant Brandel family. That’s why they are helping me. It’s considered pittance.”

Josie suddenly noticed an aura of exhaustion and despair on Laura. After all, Laura was a wealthy young lady until recently. She had witnessed the ugly side of the business world overnight and knew there were no true friends in this world.

Josie opened her mouth in shock upon knowing the truth. No wonder Arnold refused to meet her himself

“I don’t blame them” Laura smiled bitterly. “Josie, I feel envious of you sometimes. At least you married a competent man.”

Envious? Josie considered silently. Her life was not as perfect as Laura thought.

Marriage of Convenience

“By the way, I want to tell you I’m getting married next week. You should come to my wedding” Laura casually dropped the news before taking her bag and leaving

Josie was stunned. Wedding? Next week? That’s too soon!

“It’s a marriage of convenience to the son of the Olsen family. He had always been interested in her.” Arnold bent over a canvas in his office in Carter Group. He was focused on painting it..

Josie was astounded by the speed at which Arnold received the news. “Which Olsen family?”

“Is there any other Olsen family in Wavery?”

Josie fell silent and suddenly recalled that the Olsen family was one of the most prominent families in the business world. It was also Summer’s family. Summer was the woman that caused trouble for Arnold and Dexter.

“What’s his name?”

Arnold stood straight and answered, “The Olsen family has two children. The son is called Zach. He is Summer’s brother.”

Josie had heard about him but did not know much. She realized once again that marriage could be treated. so casually.

“What do you think? Want to attend the wedding with me next week?”

Josie looked at him incredulously. “You ruined her family. How do you dare to show your face?”

Arnold appeared innocent. Im not the only one going. Dexter will go too. You can’t just scold me and not him.”

Chapter 327 The Wedding

Josie remained silent.

Dexter had not appeared before her for days. She tried hard not to think about him but kept failing

“What kind of relationship will we be going as?” Josie forced a smile. She hoped Arnold stopped sending photos of their meeting to Dexter. She kept sensing he was not as bad as she thought.

Arnold paused his paintbrush and considered earnestly. “What about attending as my girlfriend?”

Josie frowned. “You seem to enjoy doing immoral things”

He smiled and tapped his paintbrush on her forehead, leaving a red dot. “Having Dexter’s wife as my girlfriend will be exciting.

Josie was rendered speechless. This man is insane.

Being wealthy meant one could easily arrange a wedding in less than a week. At the same time, the whole of Wavery knew Laura would marry Zach.

On Monday, Josie and Arnold arrived at the hotel. She exited the car and found the place vaguely familiar. She searched around for clues but was still confused.

This place was a private residence and likely one of the Olsen family’s private residential properties. It seemed the site was only used for grand occasions.

Josie found the place familiar. At the same time, she was sure that she had never been there before.

“What are you thinking?” Arnold stood beside her and whispered. He wore a dark blue suit.

Josic came to her senses. “It’s nothing.”

She heard someone opening and closing a car door nearby. It was Dexter. He attended the wedding as Arnold expected.

He wore a well-tailored suit that accentuated his perfect figure. As he wrote his name on the register, one could see his gorgeous side profile. His face looked as if carved by a master artist.

Once Josie looked away, Dexter stood straight and glanced in her direction. His gaze was indifferent. He walked into the venue without uttering a word.

Josie also had an emotionless expression.

Neither seemed to care about the other.

Zach stood at the door to welcome the guests. He looked mild-mannered and accommodating and did not seem like the heir of a wealthy family.

“Arnold, wow! You brought a girlfriend.“ Zach extended his hand to Arnold.

“It’s your wedding. Of course, I’ll show up. What do you think? She’s pretty, right?” Arnold held Josie’s shoulder. “She even knows Laura”

“Oh!” Zach was surprised. “I didn’t know you’re Laura’s friend. She’s still in the dressing room. You can head there to see her.

Josie nodded and glanced at the surrounding from the corner of her eyes. The place was grand, but she had not seen any older people there. It seemed only young people attended the wedding.

Once they entered the venue, Josie asked softly, “Has the person you’re looking for returned?”

Arnold did not answer her question directly. He held her shoulder more firmly and glanced in a direction like a tiger waiting to pounce on its prey.

“What’s wrong, my dear girlfriend? Are you jealous?”

He’s having too much fun acting the role. Josie glared at him before excusing herself to go to the washroom

She headed to the washroom and took quite some time to find her way. The male and female restrooms. were side by side. Josie soon noticed a familiar figure in the male restroom. Still, she was not too surprised to see him there.

Josie approached stealthily and pushed away her thoughts as she stood opposite Dexter,

He placed his hands in his pockets and appeared expressionless.

There was no one around at this moment. Josie calmed down and looked at him closely.

He seemed more tired than usual. At this moment, he looked like an entrepreneur who held the livelihood of many people in his hand.

Meanwhile, Josie was alone and had no one accompanying her. That made her feel intimidated and

reluctant to talk to Dexter.

She tried to walk past him, only for him to grab her wrist.

Chapter 328 Challenging the Limit

Dexter refused to move and grabbed her hand.

Josic looked at their hands and said sternly, “Mr. Russell, you’re breaching my personal space”

Dexter pretended not to hear her. He suddenly turned around and grabbed her arms, dragging her into the ladies’ room. Then, he kicked open a cubical door and pushed her, causing her to fall onto the toilet bowl. He kept moving threateningly close His actions were rough but did not injure her.

“Josie, are you testing the limits of my patience?” They were so close that the tips of their noses almost touched. Dexter noticed the brief panic in Josie’s eyes, while Josie saw the uncontrollable fury in his eyes

Their scents filled each other’s nostrils, exciting their senses.

Josie soon smiled, but her eyes continued to flicker with unhappiness. “Mr. Russell, I don’t understand what you mean. Do you mean you received a divorce agreement?”

Dexter stated at her, fighting the strong urge to strangle her. At the same time, he vehemently despised himself. He even considered staying like this and letting her vent her anger at him, hoping it would reduce her hatred of him.

“Did you come here with Arnold to anger me?”

Dexter suddenly grabbed Josie’s neck. Josie tried to break free. Her face was deathly pale, but her lips were as merciless as ever. “Why? Did I humiliate you? Is that why you’re angry?”

Strangely, Dexter admitted to her words. He sneered and replied, “Isn’t this what you want? You deliberately approach Arnold to make me angry, right?”

“How is it? Is my strength unbearable?”

Josie did not wear pants this time, leaving her slender legs bare beneath the skirt. She suddenly raised her leg and rubbed it against his thigh. I’ll show you what’s unbearable.”

Dexter’s expression instantly froze. He loosened his grip.

While he was dazed, Josie freed her hands and wrapped them around his neck. She brought her red lips to his ear and dabbed them lightly to his Canali shirt.

Her arms felt soft and warm around his neck. Although she did not exert strength on him, Dexter felt an unexplainable heaviness.

She whispered into his car. “You said I was stupid to dream of becoming Mrs. Carter. Why don’t and watch me make it into a reality.”

you

wait

Her words were pure and unadulterated mockery, piercing into his heart.

Dexter parted his lips. Countless emotions rolled like waves in his eyes.

Josie

“Yes?”

They looked into each other’s eyes. On one side were turbulent emotions, while the other seemed calm and indifferent.

Challenging the Limit

Life and death seemed to be hinged at that instant.

Laura had a simple wedding. She wore a white wedding gown and light makeup Nothing was ostentatious, yet no one could steal her limelight as the bride.

Her makeup was done by the time Josie entered the dressing room. She was surrounded by many people and requested them to leave when she saw Josic, Josie approached her and walked around her, assessing her appearance. “Not bail”

“Erm…” Laura tapped a spot on Josie’s lips. “You missed putting on the lipstick on this part.”

Josie felt guilty at being caught and entered the inner room nervously. “Really?”

Laura observed her calmly.

Suddenly, someone knocked on the door. Laura glanced at it and was stunned briefly before asking, “Hello?”

It was a woman dressed in a white trench coat and a hat. Her long hair hung before her chest, and her makeup was light and natural. The woman said, “It’s been so long since we met.”

Chapter 329 Being the Mistress

Laura suddenly recalled who she was and looked at her.

Meanwhile, Josie heard noises and was about to leave the inner room. However, she noticed Laura’s hand gestures to her and kept silent.

Laura watched the person take out a red ring box froin her pocket. She approached Laura and opened it “I woke up this morning and found it on the bedside table. I imagine you will need it today, so I did not delay and brought it here. Would you like to check it?”

The woman was clever with her words and quickly outlined a narrative that stirred people’s curiosity.

She obviously had no plan to explain but added suggestively, “Don’t tell Zach about me being here. He would be angry if he knew.”

The ring box contained a men’s ring. Laura bought it on her own. Although it was not expensive, Zach cherished the ring when she gave it to him.

Laura stood still. Josie looked at her and thought she would be furious. Unexpectedly, she accepted the ring from the woman and thanked her politely. “Thank you for coming over. You could have called me, and I would have gone to you to collect it.”

-Josie was astounded by Laura’s calmness. Her past self would have torn the woman to shreds by now.

“You should know that he can’t stand loneliness. Do you think he will see me again after you marry him? Honestly, I don’t mind being his mistress.” The woman smiled smugly.

Josie was stunned by what she heard. Why are all the mistresses so shameless these days?

However, Laura remained unmoved. “Sure, I suppose you will come to show off again.”

The woman left.

Josie came out of the inner room nervously, but Laura still showed no hint of sadness. “About just now….

Zach came in before Josie could speak further. She immediately fell silent.

He said, “Laura, ihe wedding is about to begin. It might get tiring later.”

Laura gave

him the ring. “You have been searching for this for days. Someone brought it here just now. Don’t you think you should explain?”

Josie did not expect Laura to be so direct about the matter.

Zach was stunned. He looked down and accepted the ring before wearing it on his ring finger. Im sorry. She called me over that day. I was careless and left it there. It won’t happen again.”

Laura smiled.

After Zach left, Josie held Laura’s arm and asked, “Why weren’t you angry?”

“What’s the point of being angry?” Laura replied. “I’m not in the position where I can afford to be angry with him.”

Zach and Laura’s parents did not show up for their wedding.

Being the Mistress

Laura walked down the aisle alone and stood beside Zach. It was supposed to be a moving scene, but Josie thought it looked tragic. She looked at the honest-looking man strangely and sensed he was not as nice as he portrayed himself.

“Why does it feel like she had gone out of the frying pan and into the fire?” Josie muttered softly.

Arnold was peeling an orange beside her. “It would be nice if you had thought like this before marrying

Dexter.

Josie did not hold back from slapping his arm in anger. “Shut up if you have nothing nice to say.”

However, Arnold smiled lovingly and stuffed a slice of orange in her mouth. “Don’t worry. At least Zach will help her resolve her crisis.”

Meanwhile, a man seated adjacent to them watched the scene unfold. His secretary stood beside him and said nervously, “Mr. Russell, should I

“Let her be, Dexter ordered sternly and stared at them. His gaze darkened as he sipped wine.

Chapter 330 Uncontrolled Rage

The sky gradually darkened. Zach thoughtfully requested the guest stay the night and arranged their accommodation

After a busy day, Josie trudged exhaustedly to her room, She looked up and was stunned.

Unexpectedly. Dexter moved much faster and grabbed her shoulder. He kicked open the door and embraced her soft figure to himself.

“Ah!”

Her breath tasted the same. He hugged her and felt he had found the missing piece of the emptiness in his heart.

Dexter kept his arms wrapped tightly around her. It was so tight that Josie could barely voice the word

“scram”

Josie realized it was Dexter and stopped struggling. She whispered angrily, “Dexter, have some self- restraint. I will make you pay if you dare to do anything to me!”

Dexter did not let go but tilted her chin. “What makes you so confident that I want to do something you?”

Josie raised her voice. “Let me go right now!”

Dexter recalled scenes of her with Arnold and suddenly lost some of his confidence.

to

He restrained her, fearing she would escape. Then, he whispered through clenched teeth. “Looking at how afraid you are, it feels like a waste if I don’t do something.”

His words sent a chill down her spine.

Dexter gulped. He had not seen her body for a long time. His eyes blazed with desire as blood flowed to his loin.

He leaned down to kiss her. Josie refused to cooperate and struggled with all her might. “Dexter! I’ll sue you for assault!”

“Are you confident you can win the lawsuit?”

Dexter undid his belt, sending a clear noise into the silent night. His whole body was shrouded with an intimidating masculine aura as he pushed her onto the bed, making her ashamed.

Josie struggled and screamed until her voice broke, but Dexter did not care.

He kissed her forcefully and left trails of hickeys in his wake.

However, he did not expect Josie to cry. Drops of tears fell from her eyes like a broken string of pearls.

Dexter stiffened.

At the same time, Arnold’s voice sounded outside the door. He said jokingly. “Good evening, it’s room

service.”

Josie lay in bed with her long hair splayed all around her head. She glared at Dexter with tears in her eyes

before suddenly raising her voice. “Help..

Dexter’s expression turned fierce. He immediately covered her mouth and muffled her voice.

Josie refused to give up and bit him. However, she could only bite a small part of his skin. His hand over her mouth made every bite difficult.

Likewise, Dexter refused to give in, and they continued to struggle against each other.

Arnold called out again, but no one answered.

A few of Dexter’s shirt buttons had come undone, revealing his smooth skin. He did not remove his pants but left them hanging from his waist. Moreover, he was panting slightly and seemed unusually alluring.

Arnold sensed something was off and paused briefly. In the end, he decided to leave to protect her dignity.

Dexter finally stood up and released her. He went to the bathroom.

Josie closed her eyes and could not shake off the oppressing feeling. She rolled sideways until she fell off the bed. Then, she breathed slowly, trying to calm down. It felt like she had narrowly escaped death.

The following morning, Josie woke up to find Dexter had left. She packed her things and got ready to leave the hotel.

After checking out of her room, the receptionist looked at her and checked the registry. “Is your surname Warren?”

“Is something wrong?”

“Oh, it’s nothing. I’m sorry, I just thought you looked familiar. The receptionist smiled. She wore a badge that stated ‘Olsen Group.

Chapter 332 Blood Donation

Andy didn’t even dare to look after hearing the harrowing description of Arnold’s injury just now.

A nurse walked out of the operating room and asked anxiously, “The patient has lost too much blood and is gradually losing consciousness. We’re running out of time to get blood supply. Does anyone here have type B blood?”

The man sitting beside Josie shook his head while Josie was shaken out of her daze. She looked at the nurse and asked, “Is his situation this critical?”

The nurse was a hot-tempered person and flared up at once. “What do you mean? Do you think I’m pulling a joke with you about his situation?”

Josie’s heart was pounding as she reached out her arm in a panic and mumbled, “My blood type is B.”

The nurse was startled briefly before grabbing Josie’s hand and headed hurriedly to draw blood.

The nurse brought Josie to a small ward and swiftly rolled up Josie’s sleeve to apply a tourniquet. While the nurse was preparing, Josie stared blankly at her and asked, “Will he die?”

The nurse was still upset about Josie’s previous question and answered grumpily. “He stayed in an enclosed space for too long. He might die of suffocation if he was admitted to the hospital later. He’s also experiencing excessive blood loss as a result of being stabbed by a dagger in the car.”

The nurse slowly inserted the needle after locating Josie’s vein. “Take deep breaths. It might sting slightly”

Josie gritted her teeth and endured the pain.

“Who would place a dagger in their own car? He’s bringing this upon himself!”

The stinging sensation remained as blood was drawn out of Josie’s body. She nibbled her bottom lip and muttered. “Yeah. He deserves it.”

Josie’s countenance gradually turned pale after three hundred milliliters of blood was drawn out. The nurse stopped and said, “That’s enough.”

Josie grabbed the nurse and shook her head. “Please extract more. What if it’s not enough?”

The nurse drew another one hundred milliliters of blood and rejected Josie’s request. She sent her out of the ward and said, “Your life will be at risk if we continue drawing more blood. Please take some rest.”

Then, the nurse rushed into the operating room.

Andy returned with some milk and candy. He guided Josie to sit down and passed some food to her. “Please have some, Ms. Warren.”

Three hours later, Arnold was pushed out of the operating room.

Josie stood on her toes and observed Arnold, who lay motionlessly on the bed, through the window. The man was ashen-faced, unlike his usual spirited self.

The doctor was talking to Andy at the side. “We’ll keep him under observation in the ICU for two days. He can be transferred to the normal ward after he regains consciousness.”

“Miss Warren,” Andy spoke up nervously.

Tll stay here the next two days bun won’t meddle with other affairs”

Andy heaved a sigh of relief and hummed, “Okay”

Josie continued sitting outside the ICU. Her phone and laptop soon ran out of battery Andy w centraised her and pared back and forth as he made multiple calls to handle Arnold’s affairs

He gave a huge sum of money to the kind man, but the man was upright and refused to accept it Nonetheless, Andy was principled, too, and insisted.

He instantly blocked the news so no one could spread rumors about the incident

The doctor checked in on Arnold twice the first night, but Arnold had not awakened.

When the nurse

her mask ever sine

redress Arnold’s wound, she became curious about Josie, who had not removed

So, she sat down and asked Josic, “Are you the patient’s girlfriend

Josie arch her brows and reckoned the nurse had never read entertainment news. I’m noL”