An Understated Dominance: By Marina Vittori​

Dahlia Nicholson and Dustin Rhys have been married for three years. After Dahlia achieves rapid success, she decides to end her marriage with Dustin, viewing him as a burden. Little does she know that all her accomplishments were actually thanks to him.

CHAPTER 1
My wife is a CEO, she always hates me for being lazy and wants to divorce me. But she doesn't know that her success is bestowed by me.

“Dustin, here is the divorce agreement prepared by Ms. Nicholson. All you need to do is sign them.”

In the president’s office of the Quine Group, the secretary, Lyra Blaine, placed a piece of A4 paper on the table. A man sat opposite her, dressed in plain clothing.

“Divorce? What do you mean?”

Dustin Rhys was taken aback.

“Do you not understand what I’m saying? Your marriage with Ms. Nicholson is over. You’re not even on the same level anymore. Your existence is nothing but a smear on the president’s reputation!”

Lyra pulled no punches as she spoke.

“A smear on her reputation?” Dustin frowned. “Is that how she thinks of me?”

Back when they first got married, the Nicholson family was in ruinous debt. He was the one who helped them when they were at their lowest point. Now that they were rich, Dahlia Nicholson was ready to just kick him out.

“Something like that.” Lyra poked her chin toward the magazine on the table. A photo of a beautiful woman was printed on the front page. “Look at the headline on this magazine, Dustin. Ms. Nicholson’s net worth has hit one billion in the course of just three years, a feat no short of a miracle. She’s now the most desired woman in Swinton! With all this, she’s destined for greatness. But you, you’re just a regular joe. You don’t deserve her at all. I hope that you’ll see some sense and do the right thing.”

When Dustin remained silent, Lyra frowned.

“I know you’re not happy with this, but this is reality,” she continued. “You might have helped Ms. Nicholson when she was in trouble, but she has repaid you for everything you’ve done for her over the last three years. In fact, you’re the one who owes her now!”

“Is our marriage just a business deal to her, then?” Dustin took a deep breath to suppress the emotions within. “If she wants to divorce me, let her speak to me herself.”

“Ms. Nicholson is very busy. She doesn’t need to trouble herself with such trifling matters.”

“Trifling matters?” Dustin was stunned. Then he laughed bitterly. “Is that so? Is divorce a trifling matter to her? She can’t even find the time to speak to me. Truly, she’s that unattainable now!”

“Dustin, don’t delay this any longer.” Lyra pushed the divorce agreement toward him again. “Just sign here and you’ll get a car and a house as compensation. On top of that, you’ll also get eight million dollars. This is more than what you’ll be able to earn in your lifetime!”

“Eight million dollars is a lot, but…I don’t need it. I will sign the divorce papers if she comes personally. Otherwise, I won’t sign anything,” Duston said coldly.

“Don’t go too far, Dustin!” Lyra slammed her hand on the table. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you. With all her power and resources, Ms. Nicholson can divorce you easily. It’s only because she appreciates her past relationship with you that she’s allowing you to keep your dignity intact. Don’t provoke her!”

“My dignity?” Dustin was a little amused by that. She didn’t even want to speak to him directly to divorce him. What kind of dignity was that? Moreover, if she really did appreciate their relationship, then why was she threatening him now?

“I don’t think we have anything else to talk about, then.”

Unwilling to argue, Dustin stood up and made to leave.

“Dustin Rhys! You—”

Just as Lyra was about to lose her cool, a curvy woman in a long black dress walked in. Her skin was as white as snow, and her features were delicate. Her lofty aura and curvaceous figure made her look like a goddess right out of a painting.

“You’re finally here.”

Dustin felt complicated emotions when he saw the beautiful woman. They had been married for three years, during which they treated each other with care and respect. But this was how it ended. He still didn’t know what he had done wrong.

“I’m sorry for being late, I was caught up with something else.”

Dahlia Nicholson sat down. Her expression was as impassive as ever.

“You certainly are busy, if you need your secretary to help you deal with your divorce,” Dustin said.

Hearing this, Dahlia frowned slightly. However, she did not explain herself. Instead, she said, “Since you’re here, let’s get straight to the point. Let’s end this on a pleasant note. I’m sorry I have to do this to you, so you can have the car and the house, plus eight million dollars as alimony. How does that sound?”

At that, she placed a card on the table.

“Do you really think our relationship can be measured by money?” Dustin asked.

“Too little? That’s alright. Let me know what you want. I’ll give you anything within my power,” Dahlia said placidly.

“I don’t think you understood me. Let me rephrase my question. Are money and power that important to you?” Dustin was truly bewildered.

Dahlia went over to the windows and looked out over the city. There was determination in her eyes when she said, “To me, yes, they’re very important.”

“You’ve earned enough to feed yourself for the rest of your life. Why do this?”

“Dustin, that’s where you and I diverge in philosophy. You’ll never understand what I really want.” Dahlia shook her head in disappointment.

They weren’t just incompatible in status and power; they were also incompatible in their principles. Most importantly, she did not see any hope for the future in him.

“You’re right. How would I know what you’re thinking?” Dustin laughed bitterly. “All I know is to cook for you when you’re hungry, prepare your coat when it’s cold out, and carry you to the hospital when you’re sick.”

“There’s no point in going into this now.” Dahlia’s expression held complicated emotions, but it was soon covered up by determination.

“You’re right.” Dustin nodded without any emotion. “I heard that you’ve been close with the heir of the Nolan family. Is it because of him?”

Dahlia was about to deny it when she gave it a second thought. In the end, she nodded.

“You can say that.”

“Okay. I hope you’re happy with him.” Dustin smiled and signed the divorce agreement without any more hesitation. All he felt now was disappointment. Ironically, today was also their wedding anniversary. There was cruel humor in divorcing him on the day they had gotten married.

“I don’t want the money, I just want that crystal necklace back. My mother left it to me before she died so that I can give it to my wife.”

“Okay.”

Dahlia nodded and gave him the crystal necklace.

“From today onward, we will have nothing to do with each other!”

Dustin put on the necklace and left. He had no more gentleness in his expression; all that was left was distant aloofness.

“Did I do the right thing, Lyra?” Dahlia asked hesitantly.

Even though she was the one who asked for the divorce, she didn’t feel happy at all when it was finalized.

“Of course you did!” Lyra nodded. “You have the right to pursue happiness. Dustin does not deserve you at all. He’ll only bring you down with him. You’re destined to be the most powerful woman in Swinton!”

Dahlia did not answer her. As she watched Dustin leave, she felt as if she was losing something precious.

Chapter 573

“Are you going to back down or not?” Paul stood proudly and imposingly.

“Tyler, that’s enough.” Keith stepped forward as well, standing next to Paul. He alone might not be able to hold Tyler back, but with Paul’s power in the martial world, it should be enough to make Tyler wary. He believed that Tyler would be smart enough to back down.

“Looks like Tyler is about to be forced to submit.”

“Who can stand against two highly influential figures when they come together?”

“I didn’t know the Harmons held such influence. They were actually able to force Tyler into a tough spot.”

Taking in the sight of both parties at the height of their confrontation, the crowd couldn’t help but murmur among themselves. Tyler was an undeniably outstanding individual with a formidable background. No one dared to confront him, even when he publicly stirred up trouble at the Harmons‘ birthday celebration. However, no matter how excellent or talented he was, he still had to show deference in the face of both Keith’s and Paul’s superiority.

“Seems like both of you have made up your minds to go against me. However, I’m afraid it won’t be that easy to make me back down.” Tyler’s expression gradually grew colder. To be able to climb up to where he was now, he naturally had his connections.

“Wise individuals know how to adapt to their circumstances. Going against the tide is not a wise move,” Keith commented casually.

“So we’re resorting to displays of power now, huh? Fine, I’m curious to see who holds the highest authority here,” Tyler said, taking out his phone and sending a message.

After a moment, the sound of orderly marching outside could be heard outside the door. The sound grew louder as they approached nearer. The resonating sound struck fear in people’s hearts. Following the noise, the Harmon family’s butler rushed in, shouting anxiously, “Mr. Harmon, things are looking bad! An army is forcing their way in.”

“An army?” Hector frowned. “Whose army is it?”

A clear voice resounded, “That would be me!” A burly, middle–aged man in a general’s uniform strode in confidently. Keith’s expression shifted slightly at the sight of the man. Even Paul, who stood beside him, was surprised.

“It can’t be. Even Regional Chief Roger Leinonen is here?”

“This situation has gone out of hand! It really is Sir Leinonen!”

“Oh my goodness, what’s going on today? This is such an epic clash!”

Roger Leinonen was the regional chief of one of the provinces. As a second–ranked military official, he sat in the highest position in local law enforcement. Except for the viceroy who controlled the entire military and government, no one else could compare to him in the whole of Southern Province. He held true power. Even Keith had to show him deference. After all, one was the regional chief, while the other was the regional deputy chief. The word “deputy” made all the difference in terms of power and influence.

“This is spelling trouble. I can’t believe Tyler was able to invite Sir Leinonen.”

“What now? All our previous plans have gone to waste with his arrival!”

The Harmons were shocked and broke out in cold sweat upon Roger’s arrival. Each and every one of them looked anxious. Tyler alone was already a formidable opponent. With Sir Leinonen backing him, they were unstoppable. Trouble was brewing for the Harmons.

“Sir Moran, General Lionheart is the pillar of our nation. Are you really going to confront him today?” Roger targeted Keith upon his arrival, his sharp tone establishing his authority.

Keith frowned without uttering a word. He never got along with Roger. Unfortunately, Roger held a higher position than he did.

“Sir Paul, you are highly respected, and I admire you greatly. I hope you will let this matter go on my behalf.” Roger turned his attention to Paul, appearing polite. After all, he didn’t wish to sever ties with a martial arts master unless absolutely necessary.

Paul narrowed his eyes. “Sir Leinonen, are you here to back Tyler?”

“I’m good friends with General Lionheart. Naturally, I’m going to offer him my full support,” Roger responded bluntly.

Chapter 574

Paul responded calmly, “It’s two against two. We’re not exactly at a disadvantage.”

“Sir Paul, I’m afraid it’s two against one. You should ask Sir Moran if he’s still willing to open this can of worms,” Roger spoke profoundly.

“Hmm?” Paul turned to Keith and realized he seemed upset. It appeared like he had decided to back out with his silence. Keith was able to go up against Tyler alone, but with Roger backing him, it was a different story. After all, he wasn’t too acquainted with the Harmons. There was no need to jeopardize his career over this.

The Harmons feel dejected by Keith’s silence. Once he backed out, it would be hard for the Harmons to escape the situation unscathed.

“Mr. Harmon, I was indeed taken by surprise by your planning. Sadly, it isn’t enough. So, what is your decision?” Tyler looked up slightly, his gaze directed at Hector.

With Roger’s army, Paul alone wouldn’t be able to save the Harmons. Hector furrowed his brow, his expression solemn. Was he to give in to the Grants?

As the situation grew increasingly dire, Trent stood up to mediate. “General Lionheart, we can discuss this. There’s no need to escalate things this far.” The Harmons had used up their trump cards. They could only give in if they didn’t wish to receive their wrath.

“Of course, but I have a condition,” Tyler said calmly. Trent responded, “What condition?”

“I want this brat’s life!” Tyler exclaimed unexpectedly, pointing a finger at Dustin. A plebeian who dared challenge the authority of the Grants should pay a price. He was going to set an example today.

Trent froze, shifting his gaze toward Hector, who was beside him. Hector was silent. No one knew what he was thinking.

“Tyler Grant! Don’t go too far!” Natasha finally reached her breaking point.

“You should take responsibility for your actions. You were the ones who made the decision,” Tyler said indifferently.

“You-” Natasha’s expression grew increasingly cold.

“Seems like this Dustin guy is done for.” Zoey, who was among the crowd, sighed.

Zeke sneered. “Hmph! This is the consequence for daring to challenge General Lionheart.”

“If you think about it, he brought this upon himself.” Gordon was silently happy about it.

“Tyler Grant, I’m afraid you’re still not worthy of taking my life.” Dustin remained calm.

“What? Do you think anyone else can save you today?” Tyler uttered coldly.

As soon as he spoke, a guard rushed in anxiously. He reported, “Sir Leinonen, there’s trouble! A group of guards have barged in!”

“Don’t you see that I am here with General Lionheart? Why are you so panicked?” Roger’s expression hardened. “Even if the emperor himself were here, it wouldn’t change a thing, let alone a small group of guards! Drive them out!”

The guard’s expression turned grave. “W–we can’t. They are the viceroy’s personal guards.”

“So what if they are the viceroy’s personal guards? I-” Roger was halfway through his tirade when he froze. His words were stuck in his throat.

The viceroy and his personal guards? It couldn’t be… The viceroy was here? Before Roger could fully comprehend the situation, he saw someone walk through the door. It was a well–dressed, middle–aged man. The man had a handsome face and a dignified posture. Even when he was calm, he carried an air of authority, and every move of his was imposing.

“Lord… Lord Xenos?” Roger’s expression turned for the worst immediately at the sight of the man.

Chapter 575

“Lord Xenos! It’s Lord Xenos!”

“Damn, even Lord Xenos has shown up! The world is turning upside down!”

“Who was able to bring forth Lord Xenos?”

The crowd broke out into a frenzy at the sight of the distinguished man. Lord Xenos was no ordinary man; he was the viceroy! The influential figure who held control over the entire military and government of Southern province! He was an official of the first rank and a true authority figure! A single action of his could shake up Millsburg in its entirety. Sir Leinonen and General Lionheart were mere shadows compared to him.

“Why is Lord Xenos here? Did Tyler invite him?”

“It’s over. It’s all over… There’s no one to save us now!”

“He’s the most powerful official in all of Southern province. Who else can compare to him?”

The Harmons were shaken, their faces filled with fear and despair. Given their status, it was evident that they weren’t the ones to invite the viceroy. So there was only one possibility–he was on Tyler’s side.

At that moment, not only were the Harmons shaken, but Tyler was also surprised and puzzled. He wasn’t exactly acquainted with the viceroy.

“It’s him?” When Dustin saw him arrive, he finally revealed a flicker of emotion. It wasn’t the
person’s title that stirred him, but it was because he recognized him. It was none other than Ruby’s father George Xenos. When he first met him at the hospital a few days ago, he wasn’t aware of his identity. He didn’t expect him to be the viceroy who controlled the entire Southern province.

“Oh, Lord Xenos, what brings you here?” After a momentary daze, Roger approached and greeted him with a smile. Lord Xenos was, after all, his direct superior.

“Roger, I heard you were planning to drive away my men. Is that true?” George asked nonchalantly.

“It’s a misunderstanding … It’s all just a misunderstanding!” Roger smiled apologetically. “I would welcome them with open arms. I would never dare to drive them away.”

“Is that so?” George surveyed his surroundings. “Then why have you brought so many of your men here?”

“Uh…” Roger froze, unsure of how to respond. He couldn’t possibly admit that he was helping the Grants tyrannize the Harmons, could he?

Tyler intervened, “Lord Xenos, what brings you to this place?”

“What, do I need to report my movements to you?” George countered.

Tyler lowered his head slightly. “Not at all. I’m just curious, that’s all.”

“I heard Mr. Hector is celebrating his birthday today. I’m here to wish him a happy birthday.” George’s voice was loud and clear.

“Wish him a happy birthday?” All eyes turned to Hector at George’s words. The Harmons were acquainted with Lord Xenos?

Trent’s voice began to quiver as he asked, “H–Hector, did you really invite Lord Xenos?”

“I…” Hector found himself at a loss for words. If he had indeed invited Lord Xenos, he wouldn’t have feared the Grants. However, Lord Xenos seemed unmistakably on their side from his statement. Hector couldn’t figure out who could possibly have the influence to bring forth Lord
Xenos‘ presence.

“Roger, you must be here to send your wishes too, I reckon?” George suddenly asked.

“Huh?” Roger was momentarily stunned before nodding. “Yes, that’s right… I’m here to send my wishes!” He wouldn’t dare continue acting rashly with Lord Xenos backing the Harmons. He could only use the pretext to act as if nothing had happened.

“How about you?” George turned his attention to Tyler, his tone slightly imposing.

“I’m here to send my wishes and pick up my bride,” Tyler answered bluntly.

“Pick up your bride? Who is she?”

Tyler answered, “Mr. Hector’s daughter and I have long been engaged. Today is the day of our marriage according to the marriage contract.”

Chapter 576

“Oh? Is that so?” George glanced at Hector.

Hector spoke truthfully, “They were indeed engaged in the past. But there were some problems recently that warranted further discussion regarding the engagement.”

“Problems should be solved round the table. Why be so hostile?” George expressed his
dissatisfaction.

“I’m open to discussion, but the Harmons are not respecting me,” Tyler responded.

“Marriage should be based on mutual consent. It’s criminal behavior for you to force my hand in marriage by publicly deploying your army!” Natasha suddenly cried out.

“She’s right,” George agreed. “A marriage should be between two willing parties. If one party is unwilling, you shouldn’t force it.”

Tyler frowned slightly at his words. It appeared as if George was adamant about standing with the Harmons.

“Lord Xenos, what did the Harmons promise you? I’m willing to pay tenfold,” Tyler unexpectedly said to George.

“How dare you!” George’s expression darkened, and he bellowed, “Tyler Grant! Is this how you see the viceroy? A corrupt official?”

“No, no. Not at all… Tyler misspoke. Please forgive him!” Roger attempted to defuse the situation immediately.

“You are too young to know how the world works and are too impulsive and aggressive. Take your men with you, and get out of here!” George bellowed. He had thought of saving Tyler the embarrassment but didn’t expect him to not know his place.

“Tyler, let it go. We can talk about matters at a later time.” Roger gave Tyler a meaningful look. Both of them were nothing in front of the viceroy. Typer might be talented with a bright future ahead, but he wasn’t strong enough to challenge George at this time.

Tyler narrowed his eyes. “Lord Xenos, are you really going to support the Harmons?”

“That’s right! I’m definitely supporting them! If anyone has a problem with it, feel free to talk to me.” George’s tone was domineering.

The Harmons were ecstatic upon hearing his declaration, while Tyler’s expression turned unusually resentful. He couldn’t understand the reason George would publicly challenge the Grants in favor of the Harmons. Even though he was upset, he could only give in for now. George was a first–ranked official and controlled the army, Tyler couldn’t afford to offend him. However, he was confident he would overshadow George in under five years.

“Lord Xenos, since you have a higher rank, I’ll concede for now. However, the world is a small place, and things don’t always go as you want. We’ll meet again!” With a scoff, Tyler strutted out of the place with his entourage. He promised there would come a day when he would crush George beneath his feet.

“Lord Xenos, the younger generation can be impulsive at times. I hope you won’t take it to heart. I shall take my leave as well.” With a nod of acknowledgment, Roger followed Tyler out the door. He had to admit they hit a brick wall today.

“Lord Xenos is amazing. He was able to drive Tyler away with just a few words.”

“Of course! He’s the viceroy entrusted with a region. It’s not merely an empty title.”

“I envy the Harmons. They actually have Lord Xenos backing them.”

The discussion among the guests grew increasingly heated with Tyler’s departure. Nobody expected a mere birthday celebration to bring forth that many influential figures. The contest between the two families was akin to an epic clash

“Lord Xenos, Sir Paul, Sir Moran, thank you for your help. We will forever be grateful.” Hector walked up to them and shook their hands. Without their appearance, disaster would’ve befallen the Harmons.

George smiled. “You’re welcome, Mr. Harmon. The main reason I came was to return a favor.” As he spoke, he stole a glance at Dustin.

“Return a favor?” Hector was puzzled, Lord Xenos was not only an extremely influential figure, but he also held the highest authority and answered to no one. Who could Lord Xenos owe a favor to among the Harmons?

Paul chuckled as he stroked his beard. “What a coincidence; I’m also here to return a favor, just like you, Lord Xenos.”

“Huh?” Hector widened his eyes, growing even more confused. One was the viceroy, while the other was a renowned martial arts master. Who exactly could have both influential figures ow
them a favor at the same time?

“Congratulations, Mr. Harmon. With such an outstanding son–in–law, the Harmons are destined for a prosperous future.” George gave him a meaningful smile.

“Son–in–law?” It didn’t make sense to Hector. Both of his daughters were not yet married, so which son–in–law did he mean?

Hector was hit by a sudden realization. Could it be Dustin?

Chapter 577

Hector was astonished at the thought. He turned his head and looked toward Dustin, finding him calm and collected. It appeared as if he were an outsider in the situation. However, that was exactly what made him indiscernible.

Upon deep reflection, Hector realized that the Harmons‘ situation had taken a turn for the better when Dustin started challenging Tyler. Was this young man in front of him really the person who turned the tide? It would be frightening if that were the case!

“Mr. Hector, I’m needed elsewhere, so I’ll be taking my leave first.” George left after saying his goodbyes. He didn’t expose Dustin’s identity as he was worried about making things complicated for him. Some things were better left untold.

“Guess there’s no more fighting. I’ll be leaving too.” Paul gave Dustin a knowing look before leaving with his head held high.

“Mr. Hector, see you next time.” Sir Moran shook his hand and left as well.

As the influential figures departed, the ballroom livened up even more. Not only did the guests discuss among themselves, but even the Harmons were making their own speculations.

“Dad, I can’t believe you’re influential enough to be able to invite Sir Paul and Lord Xenos over. You’re amazing!” Natasha walked up with a huge smile on her face. With two influential figures backing them, she was sure Tyler wouldn’t dare force her hand in marriage any longer. She considered herself to have broken free from him.

“Hector, it seems you have more tricks hidden up your sleeves. I’m impressed!” Trent and a few of his people went up to Hector as well. Each of them looked proud, their faces brimming with excitement. With Lord Xenos and Sir Paul backing them, the Harmons would be unstoppable.

“Trent, it wasn’t me. I don’t have that kind of influence.” Hector remained modest and shook his head.

“Then who could it be if it wasn’t you?” Trent was puzzled and confused.

“I’m wondering the same thing…” Hector rubbed his chin and glanced at Dustin once again. He asked meaningfully, “Dustin, do you know who could have invited them?”

Before Dustin could respond, a clear and loud voice interjected, “Uncle Hector, there’s no need to speculate any longer, as that would be me!” The crowd turned their heads in the direction of the voice and saw Dylan walking over proudly.

“Dylan, are you acquainted with Lord Xenos and Sir Paul?” Trent was pleasantly surprised.

“Although I don’t know them personally, they appeared because of me.” Dylan was confident.

“Oh? Why do you say so?” Trent was taken aback.

“I’m associated with the Dark Panther Cavalry, and I have the backing of the Goddess of War. It’s likely that they recognized my potential and talent and decided to help out.” Dylan’s head was held high.

“That’s right! Dylan is the Scarlet Warrior’s trusted aide. It’s natural for Lord Xenos to take a liking to him,” Kate chimed in.

“So that’s why… No wonder Lord Xenos was that enthusiastic.”

“Dylan truly is exceptional to have gained the favor of the two influential figures.”

“Dylan, I didn’t know you had such powerful connections. You’re amazing!”

At that moment, the crowd showered him with praises, hailing him as their savior.

Jacob laughed heartily and was filled with pride. “My son is so talented!” He was clued in on Sir Moran’s appearance. However, he didn’t expect his son to be so skilled that he would garner Lord Xenos and Sir Paul’s attention.

“I think there’s more to this. Dylan’s status is not enough to impress the viceroy,” Natasha said after thoughtful consideration. She noticed George never even glanced at Dylan throughout the entire ordeal.

“Hmph! You’re just jealous!”

Chapter 578

Kate snorted. “You sure are jealous of Dylan, even when you are talentless. How petty is that? If you are unhappy about Dylan, tell me, who else is better than him?”

Kate’s remark caught Natasha off guard. Dylan was indeed the best among other family members in their generation because of his government ranks.

“What’s the matter? Cat got your tongue? Is it that hard to admit that Dylan’s better than you?” Kate sneered at her.

“Natasha, you dodged a bullet today, all thanks to me! You’d better show some gratitude,” Dylan chimed in, much to Natasha’s dismay. He and Kate seemed to be working together to bring her down.

“All thanks to you? How?” Dustin did not like it when they laughed at Natasha. “Lord Xenos is a viceroy, and you’re just a colonel. You’re nowhere near his level, so why did you think he showed up for you?”

“Are you claiming that he showed up for you?” Dylan scoffed.

“You guessed right. He came here because of me.” Dustin nodded, much to everyone’s surprise.

But the surprise soon turned into dismissive laughter.

“Hahaha! Have you lost your mind? Why would you even say that?”

“Dustin Rhys, who do you think you are? What do you have to invite the viceroy?”

“Hmph! You seemed to have forgotten your place after tasting a little bit of power!”

The members of the Harmon family looked at him disdainfully as though he was a complete fool. How dare a country doctor and a kept man make such an outrageous claim?

“Dustin, do you really know Lord Xenos?” Natasha was quite dumbstruck.

“I saved Mrs. Xenos‘ life a few days ago. He owed me a favor,” he confessed.

“He owed you a favor? Hah! You really flatter yourself! With Lord Xenos‘ rank, he can call on any reputable doctor he wants from the military. Why does he need the help of a country doctor who’s more form than substance?” Dylan sneered at Dustin.

“Exactly! Dustin, you’re too presumptuous. The audacity to name–drop Lord Xenos so casually! You have no shame at all!” Kate smirked.

“Believe it or not, that’s the truth.” Dustin dropped another bombshell, “I cured Mrs. Xenos‘ illness and saved Sir Paul from death!”

Upon hearing this statement, the people around him burst into even louder laughter, staring at Dustin as if he were a complete clown.

“Are you seriously telling me that Sir Paul came here because of you?” Dylan snickered.

“Absolutely.” Dustin nodded matter–of–factly.

Dylan threw his head back as he laughed. “Oh, Dustin, I never thought you could be so thick- skinned! That was eye–opening!”

“Natasha, I never thought you’d fall for an incompetent man who bluffs,” Kate made a cynical jab, jumping on the opportunity to insult her cousin.

“That was embarrassing! I felt second–hand embarrassment just watching!” Zoey shook her head from the crowd.

Zeke, with a derisive look on his face, added, “To be honest, I kind of admire his ability to lie with a straight face.”

Gordon snickered. “Well, a thick–skinned man is practically invincible.”

No one believed that a loser like Dustin, who had neither authority nor influence, was somehow acquainted with a big shot like Paul Hill.

“What’s so funny?” Dustin asked nonchalantly.

“What’s not funny about the entire thing? Sir Paul is a legendary figure in the martial arts field and a grandmaster. It’s rather ridiculous to boast about saving his life, don’t you think?”

Without a word, Dustin slammed an ornate silver badge onto the table. Engraved on it was the Hill family’s last name–a Consultant Badge!

When the crowd took a good look at the badge, they collectively gasped as their smiles froze. “I thought you guys love to laugh at others. Why aren’t you laughing now?”

Chapter 579

“I thought you guys love to laugh at others. Why aren’t you laughing now?” After Dustin displayed his Consultant Badge, he openly confronted those who had looked down upon him.

Dylan, Kate, and Natasha’s friends gaped at the sight of the silver Consultant Badge on the table. They were smiling no more. After all, a Consultant Badge from the Hill family was a rare treasure coveted by many. With that badge in hand, one would have the backing of the Hill family, which also came with the perks of accessing and utilizing the family resources. It was not an understatement to describe the badge as priceless!

However, it raised another question–how did the badge end up in Dustin’s possession? Was he telling the truth when he said that he had saved Sir Paul’s life? At the thought, everyone looked at Dustin differently.

“T–that’s impossible! Why would you have the Consultant Badge from the Hill family?” Kate was still reeling from the shock, even though she was rather doubtful.

“I explained it clearly to you earlier, and I don’t want to repeat myself,” Dustin brushed her off coldly. He wouldn’t have displayed the badge if Dylan and Kate hadn’t harrassed Natasha.

“Kate Harmon, what do you say? Is there anything wrong with my boyfriend now?” Natasha couldn’t resist taking a jab at Kate after she regained her confidence. She finally had the chance to relieve her frustration from being ridiculed and bullied just now.

“Hmph! Don’t get ahead of yourselves! The Consultant Badge means nothing!” Kate’s face scrunched up into a scowl.

“Exactly!” Dylan chimed in, “How did you get your hands on the Consultant Badge of the Hill family with your social standing? I bet the badge is a fake!”

“A fake?” Everyone exchanged cautious glances. It was public knowledge that the badge represented the Hill family. Whoever faked it would be courting death.

“Dylan, that’s ridiculous!” Natasha glared at him. “The Hill family crest is clearly engraved on the badge. Everyone sees it clearly. How can this be a fake?”

“Can’t you fake a family crest?” Dylan boastfully assumed, “It’s just a silver badge. I can get a duplicate with ten thousand dollars. What’s so special about it?”

“That’s a load of bull. No one would fake the Consultant Badge of the Hill family!” Natasha argued.

“Dustin Rhys was bold enough to face Tyler Grant. Faking a badge is child’s play for him.” Dylan chuckled

“Nonsense! And what proof do you have?” Natasha roared at him.

“Do you want proof? Fine.” Dylan grinned and picked up the badge from the table. He gave it a squeeze with his hand, and the silver badge cracked as it contorted into the shape of a silver bar.

Dustin frowned at Dylan’s act, while Natasha yelled, aghast, “Hey, what are you doing?”

Ignoring the two, Dylan showed off the crushed silver badge. “Everyone knows that the Hill family Consultant Badge is made of special bulletproof, waterproof, and fireproof materials. But look at this thing. It falls apart like jelly when you squeeze it. How can this be authentic?“

Chapter 580

“That’s right! The Hill family’s Consultant Badge is as hard as steel. Only a counterfeit would be that brittle! Kate supported Dylan’s claim, and everyone else nodded in realization.

“So, it’s a fake after all. That gave me a good shock.”

“This guy knows no shame! I can’t believe he created a counterfeit badge just for show. He’s too much!”

“Hmph! It’s fortunate that Sir Dylan was smart enough to see through him. Otherwise, we’d all have been fooled!”

Most of the crowd started berating Dustin. They trusted a wealthy son more than a lowly commoner. It was ironic how a successful person could blabber nonsense, and it would be taken as the absolute truth. While that same person, before becoming successful, could tell the absolute truth, and his words would be treated as garbage.

Dustin spoke to Dylan coldly, “Dylan Harmon, have you thought of the consequences of destroying the Consultant Badge and distorting the truth in public?”

“The consequences? Ha! You’re the one tricking people with counterfeit items. I’m just doing what is right,” Dylan countered righteously.

“That’s right! We’ve been kind enough to not hold you accountable. How dare you start a fuss with us?” Kate snorted.

“Hey, don’t push it, you two!” Natasha was getting angry. Naturally, she had complete trust in Dylan. That was why she was certain Dylan was distorting the truth earlier and slandering Dustin on purpose.

“Alright, that’s enough. We’re all family. It’s not a good look to be fighting here.” Trent intervened at the right time. It would be an embarrassment to the Harmons if their children broke out into a fight in front of their esteemed guests.

“I’m going to put this matter aside on behalf of my uncle, Dustin.” Dylan walked up to Dustin and passed him the ruined Consultant Badge. He mocked him, saying, “Here, take your fake badge back.”

“You know very well if it’s fake or not.” Dustin was indifferent.

Dylan chuckled and whispered in his ear, “Does it even matter? My words carry weight here. It’s a fake if I say so. It doesn’t matter if you feel wronged, Fucking keep it in. The world revolves around power and position, brat. A loser like you will only be worthy of being trampled by me. Remember, you’re just an ant. Act like one. There are people you can’t afford to offend, so suck it up!” Near the end, Dylan gave up the pretense as his lips gradually widened into a winner’s smile. “My, my … You’re not about to cry, are you? Please don’t cry, or I’ll be laughing my ass off.”

Dustin narrowed his eyes. “People like you truly deserve a beating.”

“What? Are you angry? Come on, I’m right here. Why don’t you hit me? Do you dare?” Dylan said provokingly.

“I’m just going to dirty my hands if I hit you. But not to worry. I’ll make you pay,” Dustin said nonchalantly.

“You’re going to make me pay? Oh, I’m looking forward to it. What are you planning on doing?” Dylan chuckled teasingly.

Instead of responding directly, Dustin patted Dylan’s shoulder. He said calmly, “You’ll find out soon enough.”

Dylan sneered. “Alright! I’ll be waiting. I’m curious to see what tricks you have up your sleeves.”

“Dylan, there’s no need to waste your breath on him. Let’s go back to our seats.” Kate glanced at Dustin, her expression full of disdain.

“Kate, someone is threatening me. I’m so scared… Hahahaha!” Dylan first put on a terrified, shaking act before dissolving into a loud cackle. However, his laughter suddenly ceased, and he froze; his expression betrayed his pain. He crumpled to the floor, blood spurting out of his mouth, and his body convulsed as his eyes rolled back in his head

Chapter 581

“Dylan!” The sudden turn of events left everyone stunned. Nobody expected Dylan to collapse and spurt blood when he was still laughing a second ago.

“Get him to the hospital, quickly!” Hector made a prompt decision and ordered someone to carry Dylan out

“Hey, brat! Did you do this?” Jacob was about to leave when he thought of something and turned back, his expression menacing.

“What does it have to do with me? It’s his old injuries that resurfaced. If you’re looking for someone to blame, you should blame Tyler since he attacked him earlier.” Dustin shrugged.

“You- Jacob was exasperated. However, he couldn’t start a scene without evidence.

“Jacob. You should go now. It’s more important to save Dylan,” Hector reminded him.

“Let’s go!” Jacob glared at Dustin and left angrily, not wanting to waste any more time. Trent and Kate followed behind them. As the Harmons‘ most talented genius, Dylan’s safety would affect their future. He was already considered equal in standing to Hector, the family patriarch.

“Dear, what did you do to him?” Natasha got closer to Dustin and asked in a lowered voice. Something unusual clearly occurred for Dylan to suddenly collapse and spurt blood.

“What could I do? It was mainly because of Tyler,” Dustin said seriously.

“Do you really expect me to believe that?” Natasha rolled her eyes. “Nobody can hear us, so you’d better tell me the truth.”

“Alright, I just aggravated his injuries and made it worse.” Dustin smiled. Dylan had sustained internal injuries from Tyler’s attack earlier. And when Dustin patted Dylan’s shoulder, he channeled another bout of violent true energy into his body. His unstable condition flared up instantly.

“Will he die?” Natasha asked cautiously. Even though she didn’t get along with Dylan, he was still her uncle’s only son. As they were related by blood, she didn’t wish for him to lose his life.

“Don’t worry. He won’t die, but he’ll be suffering for a while. Perhaps, he might even have complications from it,” Dustin said meaningfully. In essence, Dylan would grow weak and constantly struggle with illnesses.

“As long as he doesn’t die, it doesn’t matter. Serves him right!” Natasha was indignant. She was still upset about the time he spiked the wine. Since he was terrorizing others again, naturally, he should be taught a lesson.

“What are you two whispering about?” Hector, who was standing not far away, suddenly interjected.

“Nothing.” Natasha grinned and changed the subject. “Dad, if it weren’t for Dustin, we would have been in big trouble!”

“Not bad. Seems like we’re indebted to you again.” Hector nodded, looking impressed. He believed Dustin despite the skepticism from others. And that was because of what George said before he left.

“Not at all, Mr. Harmon. I didn’t do much,” Dustin responded politely.

“Dad, are you not going to do anything as a show of appreciation?” Natasha was slightly upset.

“What do you suggest? How about I give him your hand in marriage?” Hector joked.

“Huh?”

Chapter 582

While Dustin froze, Natasha blushed. “This… this is too sudden. I’m not prepared for it!” She followed that up by asking, “Have you chosen a date? When are we getting married?”

“Hey, you thought I was for real? You should be embarrassed!” Hector glared at her.

Natasha pouted. “You said it yourself. Why are you yelling at me instead?”

“Alright, it’s time to get serious.” Hector’s smile gradually disappeared. “Even though we overcame the situation for now, this matter is far from over. With Tyler’s personality, he will not take this sitting down.”

“Will Tyler still act recklessly with Lord Xenos and Sir Paul behind us?” Natasha raised an eyebrow.

“Tyler might not confront us directly, but he will definitely act behind the scenes.” Hector was solemn as he continued, “Lord Xenos and Sir Paul have also repaid their favor. They won’t help us a second time. We can only face him ourselves now.”

“Does that mean trouble will continue brewing for us?” Natasha looked pensive.

“There will be trouble, but the most important thing is Dustin’s safety.” Hector turned his attention toward Dustin and warned him, “Tyler is an unsympathetic and prideful man. Whether it was your involvement in Jayla’s death or your public confrontation with him, they were all unforgivable acts for him. You will be in danger going forward.”

“Thank you for the warning, Uncle Hector. I will take note.” Dustin nodded. He knew Tyler would come after him to get revenge. But as long as Natasha was safe, there was nothing he feared.

“During this period, I’ll deploy team one of our shadow guards to protect you. That should lessen some of your troubles.” Hector declared.

“Team one? They’re your personal bodyguards, aren’t they?” Natasha was astonished. The Harmons had six shadow guard teams. Team one was the most skilled, with a divine–level martial artist leading them. They were considered the Harmon family’s trump card. However, since team one’s responsibility was specifically to oversee the patriarch’s safety, they weren’t deployed easily.

Hector responded, “I don’t need them for now. Let them protect Dustin.”

“Uncle Harmon, actually, I don’t need protecting,” Dustin tried to decline.

“There are times when we slip up. With team one protecting you, they will act as an extra precaution to ensure your safety. Consider this our sincere gift to you. Don’t refuse it.” Hector was serious.

Natasha nodded in agreement. “My dad is right. Your safety comes first.”

“Alright…” Since Hector had put it that way, there was no reason for Dustin to refuse any longer.

Even though he wasn’t afraid of Tyler, it would affect him slightly if Tyler decided to assassinate him. At least he could avoid unnecessary trouble with the shadow guards keeping watch on him.

In the meantime, inside the Grant family mansion, Roger was seated on the sofa, appearing pensive. “Tyler, The Harmons have Lord Xenos backing them now. It won’t be easy to target them.”

“Even though we can’t touch them publicly, no one said anything about acting in the dark.” Tyler stood with his hands behind his back. His gaze was unusually cold as he stared at a bird perched on a tree outside the window. ? What

“Oh? What are your plans?” Roger was curious.

“I have a few friends in the martial arts world. I’m going to get them to act and create chaos within the Harmon family!” Tyler spat out coldly.

“But, that’s Paul’s territory … ” Roger was at a loss for words. Paul was highly influential as a martial arts master.

“Hmph! He’s just an old man nearing death. While his words hold a certain weight, it won’t be enough to stop me!” Tyler had a look of arrogance.

“It seems like you have everything arranged. Is there anything I can help you with?” Roger asked cautiously.

“Just keep an eye on George’s movements for me. As long as he doesn’t enter the picture, I will play with the Harmons as I please!” Tyler clenched his fist. ·

“No problem. Leave it to me,” Roger vouched as he patted his chest. He wasn’t brave enough to challenge Lord Xenos. However, it would be nothing if he just had to monitor his movements.

After sending Roger off, Tyler suddenly turned around and faced a corner. “That Dustin brat irritated me today. I asked you to kill him the last time, but I changed my mind. I want him to go through a living hell!”

“Right away!” A shadow disappeared from the corner.

Chapter 583

The next morning, at Nicholson Corp. Dustin reported to work as usual. As Chief Security Officer, his work was relatively easy. He would punch in in the morning and patrol the area with a few officers, and he would have free time after that. He could do anything he wanted since no one was there to keep watch on him

Dustin had just sat down in his office when someone knocked on his door. He looked up and found that it was the Vice Chairman, Hank Hoffman.

“Mr. Rhys, are you free? Can I have a word with you?” Hank walked in the door with a smile.

Remaining in his seat, Dustin greeted him. “Mr. Hoffman, how can I help you?”

“Mr. Rhys, I had my friend bring back this aged Narcissus Tea from Mount Woui. I hope you like it.

Hank took out a delicate gift box and placed it on his table.

Dustin raised an eyebrow. “Aged Narcissus Tea? This must be pretty expensive.”

“It’s nothing, just over a million dollars.” Hank smiled

Dustin declined his gift. “Mr. Hoffman, this is too valuable. I can’t afford to take it, you should keep it for yourself.”

“It’s okay if you don’t like to drink tea. I have another present prepared. Still smiling, he took out a check from his pocket and said, “Here are three million dollars. Consider it a kind gesture of mine. I hope you accept it.”

“Mr. Hoffman, you’re giving me gifts and money. What exactly is the meaning of this?” Dustin questioned him straightforwardly.

Hank chuckled. “I’d like to be friends with you, Mr. Rhys.” He flashed Dustin a meaningful smile. “I know you are close to Dahlia, but you won’t have a future if you continue working for her. She’s just a lady. She won’t be able to accomplish great things.”

Dustin’s expression remained unchanged. “So?”

“So, I hope you can help me out. I’ll treat you well. The gifts I’ve given you today are just the start of many. There’ll be more benefits for you going forward.” Hank started revealing his true intentions.

“Mr. Hoffman, I don’t think it’s appropriate for you to ask me to betray Ms. Nicholson,” Dustin responded calmly.

“Mr. Rhys, the world revolves around gains. Dahlia pays you only a measly salary. Why would you still be loyal to her?”

Seeing his lack of reaction, Hank continued to persuade him. “As long as you agree to my terms, I’ll make sure you end up as Vice Chairman when I become the Chairman!” The only reason Hank gave him such a lucrative offer was due to his identity as the Flame Dragon gang leader. He knew that with Dustin backing Dahlia, it would be difficult to remove her from her position. That was why he needed to get Dustin on his side to achieve his goals.

“Mr. Hoffman, you sure have confidence in me. Sadly, I’m not interested in your terms.” Dustin gave him an ambiguous smile.

“What are you interested in, then? I’ll try my best to fulfill it as long as it’s within my means. Hank responded hastily.

“Nothing. I just want you to obediently stay as Vice Chairman and not push the boundaries.” Dustin’s smile gradually disappeared.

“What?” Hank furrowed his brows. “What do you mean, Mr. Rhys?”

Dustin responded coldly, “You don’t get it? Let me make it clearer. Going forward, Dahlia will always remain the Chairman of this company. Anyone who wishes to dispose of her will answer to me, understood?”

Hank’s expression darkened. “Mr. Rhys, does that mean this is out of discussion?”

“I’m not interested in discussing anything with you. Now, get out. I’m going to take a nap.” Dustin waved his hand in annoyance.

“Fine, I hope you don’t come to regret it!” Hank let out an audible scoff and left the room after packing up. He could only seek other methods since he was unsuccessful in bribing Dustin.

“He wants to bribe me with a few million dollars? Does he think I’m poor?” Dustin was annoyed. He was a billionaire. That small amount of money was insignificant to him.

Suddenly, Dustin’s phone rang.

Chapter 584

Dustin answered the call and instantly heard Julie’s voice blaring through the speakers, “Dustin, Dahlia got into a traffic accident! Come and help us out, quick!”

“An accident?” Startled, Dustin probed for more information. “What happened? Is she hurt?”

“It’s a long story. I’ll send you our location. Come here right now!” Julie urged.

“Okay!” Without wasting any time,, Dustin ended the call and rushed out the door.

Over at Dahlia’s side, a Maserati and a Bentley had run into each other on the streets. Both cars were heavily damaged, and there were shards of car glass scattered around the point of collision.

After the collision, several young men and women came out of the Bentley, and at the forefront of the group was a young lady with hair that was dyed a bright red, and clad in luxurious branded goods from head to toe.

After she got out of her car, she immediately went up to Dahlia’s car and began banging on the window, yelling rudely, “Hey! Can’t you fucking drive? Get out of the goddamn car right now!”

“Get out!”

“Yeah, get the hell out, woman!”

The rest of them, who were together with the red–haired lady, also began kicking and banging on Dahlia’s car threateningly.

“Stop it!” Julie opened the car door and got out, shouting at them, “Why are you behaving like such hooligans? You were the ones who made an illegal U–turn and broke the law! You are fully responsible for the accident!”

“Full responsibility, my ass!” The red–haired lady gave Julie a hard slap across the face. “Quit running your mouth here! You ran into my car, so pay up!”

“Y–you hit me? Have you any idea who I am?” Julie was shocked and enraged as she cupped her stinging cheek in her hand.

“Whoa! You’re trying to challenge me, aren’t you? Very well, tell me, who are you?” The red–haired lady sniggered.

“You’d be terrified!” Julie said haughtily, “She’s Dahlia Nicholson, chairperson of Nicholson Corp!

And I am her cousin–cum–secretary!”

“Nicholson Corp.?” The red–haired lady made a face when she heard that. “What trash is that? I’ve
never even heard of it before!”

“That’s only because you’re ignorant! I’m warning you, if you do not wish things to blow out of hand, you better pay up and apologize or you’ll be sorry!” Julie threatened her meanly.

“Fucking hell! How dare you threaten me, you bitch?” With a nasty glare, the red–haired lady struck Julie across the face once again. The resounding smack sent Julie staggering backward and falling flat on the ground, breaking a tooth in the process.

“Y–you–you! How dare you strike me again? You’re going to regret this!” Fuming, Julie scrambled up to her feet before launching herself at the red–haired lady, ready to get down and dirty.

“You insolent fool!” She smirked as she sent a punch straight to Julie’s guts. With a horrifying shriek, Julie fell to her knees and everything she had left in her stomach came rushing out.

“Stop this!” Seeing that things were about to get ugly, Dahlia swiftly went forward to help Julie up before she turned around and shouted at the red–haired lady, “Who gave you the right to hit others?”

“I do as I please! What, are you not happy? Why don’t I give you a good beating too, huh?” She shot Dahlia a glare.

“You’re going too far!” Dahlia was infuriated. She didn’t expect these people to be so rude and aggressive. They were clearly the ones who were in the wrong, and yet they showed no remorse and even resorted to physically assaulting others. They were way too arrogant!

Chapter 585

“Oh, I’m going too far now, am I? Well, so what if I am? What are you going to do about it?” The red- haired lady stood with arms akimbo as she glared daggers at Dahlia.

“I’ve called the cops! You better not act rashly!” Dahlia warned. She had Julie make several calls. as soon as they had the accident.

“The cops?” The red–haired girl laughed obnoxiously as her friends behind her watched on unkindly, obviously having no regard for the authorities. “Do you think that I’d be daunted by mere cops? I’ll have you know, I can kill you right this instant and chuck you into the ocean as fish food, and no one will be able to do anything about it!” She laughed nastily.

“Surely you can’t be above the law!” Dahlia shook her head with a frown, her brows furrowed.

“The law? Haha! I am the fucking law! Now, pay me ten million dollars, or I’ll show you what I’m capable of!” The red–haired lady threatened.

“Ten million dollars? That’s daylight robbery!” Julie was aggravated. Even if she had bought that car in cash, it’d only amount to slightly over two million at best, so if they were to pay for the repair cost, several hundred thousand would be more than enough.

For her to demand ten million dollars as compensation was pure extortion, and most importantly, she was the one who was in the wrong, so why should they be the ones paying her?

“Cut the crap!” The red–haired lady shot them a glare. “You have only two options. One, you pay me; or two, I break your legs!”

“You! That’s just robbery!” Julie was exasperated.

“So what if I am?” She delivered a kick to Julie which sent her sprawling to the ground once again. “Keep running your mouth and see if I’ll kill you!”

“Stop it!” Dahlia stepped between them, hiding Julie behind her. “You lay another finger on her and you’ll pay dearly for it!” she roared.

The red–haired lady raised her hand and slapped Dahlia hard on the face. “Who do you think you are to speak to me like that?”

“You!” Dahlia held her red and swollen face in her hand, her expression livid. These people were downright barbaric!

“I’ll say this one last time, pay up, or you’ll be sorry!”

“We did nothing wrong! Why should we pay?” Dahlia argued.

“You’re not paying? Then I guess I’ll just slash your face up!” With a vicious smile, the red–haired lady continued, “It’d be a pity for you to lose your pretty little face! I’d like to see if you’d dare to show up in public again after I’m done with you.”

“Don’t you dare!” Dahlia’s expression froze.

“Try me!” With a wave of her hand, the red–haired lady called out to her friends, “Guys, hold her still!”

“On it!” Her friends came forward with mean smiles on their faces as they pinned Dahlia to the hood of the car.

“I must say, you’ve got a perfect face!” The red–haired lady took out a pocket knife and began gently grazing it on Dahlia’s face. “But I do not like seeing things perfect, so I guess I’ll just have to ruin it!” And then she raised her hand and brought it down to Dahlia’s face quickly.

But before the knife came in contact with Dahlia’s face, a loud clang was heard as a silver needle flew through the air, accurately hitting the knife’s blade. A sharp pain shot through the red- haired lady’s hand, and the pocket knife she had in her hand clattered to the ground.

“Who’s there? Who did that?” She whipped her head around quickly with a dark expression.

“What gave you the guts to assault others in broad daylight?” A handsome man walked out from behind the car.

“Dustin?” Dahlia and Julie were both elated to see him. It was as though he was their savior, as they had yet to see him lose in a fight. When Dustin noticed Dahlia’s swollen cheeks, his expression darkened and his gaze became sharp.

“Where did you come from? And why are you sticking your nose in other people’s business?” the red–haired lady asked hostilely.

“You wretched bitch! That man is the head of security for our company! You’re in deep trouble today!” Julie shouted haughtily now that Dustin was there.

“Hah! And here I was wondering who this rascal was. So it turns out that he’s nothing but a security guard?” The red–haired lady scoffed contemptuously.

“Looks like someone is trying to be the hero here to save the day now? Take a look in the mirror! If
you know what’s good for you, you better get lost, or I’ll beat the crap out of you too!“

Chapter 586

The young men and women, who were with the red–haired lady, began clamoring, disregarding Dustin’s presence.

“Get down on your knees and apologize, or I’ll break your arms and legs!” Dustin demanded coldly.

“My! cocky, aren’t you?” One of the men walked up to Dustin and poked him in the chest rudely, taunting him as he did so, “Do you know who we are, loser? How dare you act so arrogantly with us? I’ll-” Before he could finish his sentence, he was struck with full force across the face. A loud slap could be heard as he was sent flying through the air, crashing through a car window head–first. The top half of his body went right through the window and into the car, whereas the other half of his body dangled outside of the car.

“How dare you slap my friend? Do you have a death wish?” The lady with the red hair was infuriated by Dustin’s actions. In one swift motion, she launched herself toward Dustin at an unbelievable speed. When she got near, she threw a punch at Dustin with all her might, making a
whooshing sound. She was obviously a trained martial artist.

Then, without even the slightest change in expression, Dustin grabbed her fist and gave it a firm tug. A loud cracking sound was heard, and her arm was instantly fractured. Shocked by what had happened, she stood there, frozen in place. It wasn’t until the pain hit her that she finally let out a blood–curdling shriek. But midway through her shriek, she was cut off by a hand grabbing at her throat.

“Since your parents didn’t raise you right, I’ll educate you on some manners today.” Without

saying anything else, Dustin went ahead and gave her two hard slaps on the face. The lady with the red hair saw stars, and her nose bled from the impact.

“Y–you hit me? Do you even know who I am? I’m Maggie Doyle from the prestigious Doyle family!

“The red–haired lady glared fiercely at Dustin.

“The Doyle family?” Julie, who had been gloating over Maggie’s misfortune, immediately paled.

The Doyle family was one of the Fabulous Five and had deep roots in Millsburg. They also had strong connections, making them incredibly powerful. With the level of influence the Doyle family possessed, Julie knew that none of them could afford to offend her.

“What?” Dahlia frowned slightly as her expression turned grave. No wonder she was acting so arrogantly! It was because she had the Doyle family backing her up! That made things difficult.

“We’re sorry, Miss Doyle! This is all just a misunderstanding. Please don’t be mad; we’ll pay you for your loss!” Julie immediately apologized to Maggie respectfully once she wrapped her head around the piece of information.

After she was done apologizing, she shouted at Dustin, “Hey Dustin! What are you doing? Let go of Miss Doyle right this instant!”

“Hahaha! So you’re scared now? I told you that you were going to regret it!” Maggie smirked sinisterly. “And you bastard, weren’t you all high and mighty just a while ago? Where’s your arrogant attitude now? You crossed a line when you placed your hands on me! You better get down on your knees and apologize to us. And break your arms yourself, or I’ll see to it that you die such a horrible death that you regret the day you were born!”

“Quick, Dustin! Get on your knees and apologize! I do not want to be implicated!” Julie urged.

“Down on your knees!”

“Get down!”

“Go on, down on your knees!”

Maggie’s friends yelled at Dustin. They were already used to seeing such situations because, no matter who it was, as long as they found out Maggie’s identity, they would bend to her will. And that was a show of true power.

“On my knees, was it? Very well.” Dustin nodded. Then he grabbed a hold of Maggie, slamming her to the ground. With a dull thud, Maggie fell heavily to her knees. Instantly, her knees were a bloody mess of flesh, blood, and bones.

Everyone fell silent.

Chapter 587

“Ahhh!” Maggie, who had her kneecaps fractured, let out an ear–piercing scream. She fell flat on the ground and rolled around in pain.

“What?” Everyone was shocked by what they saw. None of them had expected Dustin to hurt Maggie, even after she revealed her identity. He truly showed her no mercy.

But she was the daughter of the great Doyle family! No matter where she went, people always tried their best to please her, and nobody dared cross her. It was beyond everyone’s comprehension that Dustin would actually break her kneecaps! It was insane!

“Are you out of your flipping mind, Dustin? Do you know what you’ve done?” After the initial shock wore off, Julie leaped to her feet, her face white as a sheet.

“You! How dare you hurt Miss Doyle? You’re done for! All of you!”

“That’s right! The Doyles aren’t ever going to let you go! This is no longer about the money!”

Maggie’s friends clamored in fury. As scions of wealthy families, they were all used to bullying others; never the other way around. This rascal had bit off more than he could chew!

You arrogant, overbearing bullies. I’m just teaching you a lesson for bullying those weaker than you. If you’re not happy with it, come at me anytime,” Dustin said indifferently. This was not the first time he had crossed a Doyle. He had beaten Duncan Doyle up not too long ago, and it didn’t make much of a difference to him anymore to offend Maggie, who was also a Doyle.

“You’re a gutsy one, bastard! We’re not done with you!”

And with that, Maggie’s friends quickly helped her up and ran away. If even Maggie, who came from a family with a strong martial arts background, could not go against Dustin, they’d be done for if they challenged him.

“You–you–you! You’re a nutjob! You’ve put all of us in trouble now by messing with Miss Doyle!” Julie was terrified. Now that Maggie was in such a state, the Doyles were certainly not going to back off. And not only was Dustin going to be in trouble, but Julie would also be implicated. Influential and wealthy families like the Doyles were impossible to reason with once they decided
to seek revenge.

“Dustin! You were too impulsive!” Dahlia’s brows were tightly knitted, and her expression was dark. She had yet to make a name for herself in Millsburg, and things would only be more difficult for her now that they had offended such a powerful family as the Doyles.

“Don’t you worry. I’m not afraid of their retaliation.” Dustin was unbothered by their reactions.

“Hah! You say that now! The Doyles are such an influential and wealthy family! How can you
afford to get on their bad side?” Julie screamed at him.

“It’s true, I can’t. But some people can. I know some people in Millburg who can easily deal with this,” Dustin said calmly.

“You mean Natasha Harmon, don’t you?” Dahlia asked huffily, her words laced with sarcasm. Well, if you have her help, things might just work out fine. After all, you’re such lovebirds, aren’t you?”

“What are you thinking, Dahlia? Do I look like such a boy toy who gets a woman to protect me?” Dustin rolled his eyes.

“Yes.”

“Yes!” Both Dahlia and Julie exclaimed in unison.

Dustin was left speechless. Why did everyone think that he was a boy toy? When, in fact, he had worked hard and honestly for all his accomplishments? Maybe he really shouldn’t have kept such a low profile all this time.

Just then, Julie’s phone rang. She picked it up, and soon after, her face fell. “What? You’ve found Terrence? Where is he? Sure. We’ll be there right away!”

“What is it?” Dahlia asked.

Chapter 588

“Mom just called me to say that someone spotted Terrence having a meal at Saffron Restaurant.

She’s heading over with Aunt Florence and wants us to come along to catch the swindler too!” Julie told Dahlia.

“Terrence Stone? How dare that cheat show his face in public again?” Dahlia was furious. He had nearly made her family go bankrupt because of the issue with the abandoned building. In the end, it was Dustin who took one for the family and bought it over. Hence, she had nothing good to say about Terrence.

“Stop being idle, Dustin! Go, get a car! We need to make Terrence give back all the money he ripped us off!” Julie said resentfully.

“I’ve bought over the abandoned building, so neither of you made any losses. Why are you both so worked up?” Dustin couldn’t comprehend their anger.

“Hey! What do you mean? A con man like Terrence needs to be taught a lesson! We should act for justice!” Julie declared righteously.

“Is that so?” Dustin smiled. He knew very well what was going on in Julie’s head. Her declaration of justice was bullshit. She was just peeved that she was scammed, so she wanted to get some form of compensation from Terrence.

Taking a different car, the three of them hurried off to Saffron Restaurant.

Saffron Restaurant was a nice eatery with a good ambiance, excellent service, and exquisite food, so it was only to be expected that a place like that would charge exorbitant prices.

Over in a private room at Saffron Restaurant, Terrence, who had dressed up flashily, was having a meal with the wrong kind of people.

“I’ve got good news for you, Terrence.” After having one too many drinks, a man with a rounded face said, “I’ve heard from some official sources that the abandoned construction site will be developed as a key project. Its value is rapidly increasing now!”

“What did you say? Key project?” Terrence was stunned by what he heard. “You’re not joking, are you, Richie? That place’s trash! Why would anyone invest money in developing it?”

“It’s true!” The man with the rounded face said, “My father works with the relevant department, and the information has been confirmed! There’s no mistaking that!”

“Didn’t you buy that plot of land where the abandoned construction is, Terrence?” Someone asked.

“That’s right! I recall that too! I could not understand why Terrence would buy that piece of land back then! In hindsight, I guess you already knew about it then, didn’t you?”

“You’re something else, Terrence! How could you predict where the developments would be? Do you have some sort of insider information?”

“Congratulations, Terrence! You’ve struck gold this time around! Don’t forget about us when you make it big!”

Terrence’s friend flattered him and tried to court his favor.

Terrence, however, sat frozen where he was for a long time. Never had he dreamed that the abandoned construction site that nobody wanted anything to do with would suddenly transform into such a valuable piece of land overnight!

“What’s wrong, Terrence? Are you feeling alright?” Terrence’s friend asked.

“Hahaha! He must be having problems coming to terms with the fact that he’s going to be filthy rich!” Someone jested.

“Ri–Richie, how much does that abandoned building cost now?” Terrence asked tentatively.

“At least two billion!” Richie said.

“Two billion?” Terrence felt like he’d been struck by lightning, and he blanched.

Under everyone’s disbelieving gaze, Terrence gave himself two slaps on the face. “I–I’m the greatest idiot!” How could he have just sold off a plot of land worth two billion dollars? Was there anyone out there more dumb than him?

Just as everyone wondered what was wrong with Terrence, the door of the private room was kicked open with a loud bang. Then, Florence, Victoria, and a few others barged in through the door. And they were fuming.

“Terrence Stone! There you are!”

“Give me back my money! Give me all the money that you’ve swindled off me!”

Chapter 589

“You swindler! Give me back my money!” Florence began shouting aggressively the moment she entered. She had even gotten several stout and burly women to come along with her to back her up.

“Why are you here?” A sudden feeling of guilt came over Terrence, and his expression changed. He had not expected them to barge in while he was having a meal.

“How are we going to catch the swindler if we didn’t come here personally?” Victoria shot him a glare.

“That’s right! How dare you enjoy dining in such a luxurious place after cheating us of our money? You’re utterly shameless!” Florence demanded with her hands on her hips.

“Who are these shrews, Terrence? Should we throw them out?” Terrence’s friends asked meanly. Terrence was about to be the wealthiest one among them, so they were all dying to suck up to him.

“No, that won’t be necessary. I know them.” An idea came to Terrence, and he quickly told his friends, “You guys head on back for now. I’ve got some personal matters to deal with. I’ll buy you all a meal some other day.” And with that, he urged his friends to leave the private room.

“I don’t give a damn about what tricks you have up your sleeves, Terrence. Give me my money now!

“Victoria was not about to back off any time soon.

“Victoria, let’s sit down and talk, shall we? Don’t get all worked up.” With a smile on his face, he poured everyone a cup of tea.

“Cut the crap, you swindler!” Not wishing to waste her time on him, Victoria knocked the cup of tea over.

“I don’t think I follow, Victoria. When have I swindled you?” Terrence pretended not to understand what she was going on about.

“Oh, so you’re still trying to deny what you’ve done?” Victoria shot daggers at him with her eyes.

“You’re playing the fool with us, are you? Here, I’ll help jog your memory. A week ago, you swindled us into purchasing the plot of land where the abandoned building was, for a total of a hundred million dollars. Do you remember now?” Florence’s piercing gaze bore into Terrence. That piece of land had nearly caused her to go bankrupt, and she still had recurring nightmares about it.

“You’re both mistaken!” Terrence sighed and acted like he had been wronged. “About that piece of land, that was all because of my friend. I’m a victim just like you! I’d been cheated out of my money too!”

“That’s rubbish! Do you think we’d buy that?” Victoria had a skeptical expression.

“She’s right! Why did you disappear for the past few days if you’re a victim too? We couldn’t find you, nor could we contact you. I’m sure that you’ve conspired against us together with your friend! “Florence shouted.

“I didn’t! I really am a victim too!” With the most miserable look he could manage, Terrence said, “I haven’t shown myself for the past few days because I was too ashamed to face you! Besides, I’ve
Terrence’s friend flattered him and tried to court his favor.

Terrence, however, sat frozen where he was for a long time. Never had he dreamed that the abandoned construction site that nobody wanted anything to do with would suddenly transform into such a valuable piece of land overnight!

“What’s wrong, Terrence? Are you feeling alright?” Terrence’s friend asked.

“Hahaha! He must be having problems coming to terms with the fact that he’s going to be filthy rich!” Someone jested.

“Ri–Richie, how much does that abandoned building cost now?” Terrence asked tentatively.

“At least two billion!” Richie said.

“Two billion?” Terrence felt like he’d been struck by lightning, and he blanched.

Under everyone’s disbelieving gaze, Terrence gave himself two slaps on the face. “I–I’m the greatest idiot!” How could he have just sold off a plot of land worth two billion dollars? Was there anyone out there more dumb than him?

Just as everyone wondered what was wrong with Terrence, the door of the private room was kicked open with a loud bang. Then, Florence, Victoria, and a few others barged in through the door. And they were fuming.

“Terrence Stone! There you are!”

“Give me back my money! Give me all the money that you’ve swindled off me!”

“You swindler! Give me back my money!” Florence began shouting aggressively the moment she entered. She had even gotten several stout and burly women to come along with her to back her up.

“Why are you here?” A sudden feeling of guilt came over Terrence, and his expression changed. He had not expected them to barge in while he was having a meal.

“How are we going to catch the swindler if we didn’t come here personally?” Victoria shot him a glare.

“That’s right! How dare you enjoy dining in such a luxurious place after cheating us of our money? You’re utterly shameless!” Florence demanded with her hands on her hips.

“Who are these shrews, Terrence? Should we throw them out?” Terrence’s friends asked meanly.

Terrence was about to be the wealthiest one among them, so they were all dying to suck up to him.

“No, that won’t be necessary. I know them.” An idea came to Terrence, and he quickly told his friends, “You guys head on back for now. I’ve got some personal matters to deal with. I’ll buy you all a meal some other day.” And with that, he urged his friends to leave the private room.

“I don’t give a damn about what tricks you have up your sleeves, Terrence. Give me my money now!

“Victoria was not about to back off any time soon.

“Victoria, let’s sit down and talk, shall we? Don’t get all worked up.” With a smile on his face, he poured everyone a cup of tea.

“Cut the crap, you swindler!” Not wishing to waste her time on him, Victoria knocked the cup of tea over.

“I don’t think I follow, Victoria. When have I swindled you?” Terrence pretended not to understand what she was going on about.

“Oh, so you’re still trying to deny what you’ve done?” Victoria shot daggers at him with her eyes.

“You’re playing the fool with us, are you? Here, I’ll help jog your memory. A week ago, you swindled us into purchasing the plot of land where the abandoned building was, for a total of a hundred million dollars. Do you remember now?” Florence’s piercing gaze bore into Terrence. That piece of land had nearly caused her to go bankrupt, and she still had recurring nightmares about it.

“You’re both mistaken!” Terrence sighed and acted like he had been wronged. “About that piece of land, that was all because of my friend. I’m a victim just like you! I’d been cheated out of my money too!”

“That’s rubbish! Do you think we’d buy that?” Victoria had a skeptical expression.

“She’s right! Why did you disappear for the past few days if you’re a victim too? We couldn’t find you, nor could we contact you. I’m sure that you’ve conspired against us together with your friend!

“Florence shouted.

“I didn’t! I really am a victim too!” With the most miserable look he could manage, Terrence said, “I haven’t shown myself for the past few days because I was too ashamed to face you! Besides, I’ve been trying to locate my friend to get him to pay back the money that he ripped off of you! I’ve been doing that for you!”

“You claim to be so righteous, but where’s our money?” Florence demanded. She wasn’t going to believe his big talk anymore. If he did not return their money, everything he said was as good as trash.

“My friend has disappeared without a trace. I suspect that he has long since fled to another city.” Terrence sighed deeply.

“Hah! I knew you were going to say that!” Florence smiled sardonically.

“Although my friend has run off with your money, I’ll take full responsibility for the money you’ve lost!” He declared righteously with a resolute demeanor.

Everyone was taken aback by his words, and they all had an astonished expression on their faces. It was beyond their expectation that he would take responsibility for the matter, as they thought that he would deny everything.

“So, what you’re saying is that you’ll pay us our money?” Victoria asked tentatively.

“Of course!” Terrence nodded earnestly. “I may be a victim too, but at the end of the day, all of you were implicated only because of me, so I’ll pay you what you lost in full!”

“Well…” Florence and Victoria exchanged a sheepish glance. For a moment, neither of them knew how to react.

Chapter 590

Florence and Victoria came for Terrence to get their money back. In fact, they were prepared to resort to violence to get things done, ready to teach him a lesson the moment Terrence tried to
pull anything funny. However, they had not foreseen that he would readily admit his mistakes and even humbly tell them that he would pay them for their loss. For a moment, both of them were unsure if he really was a swindler. Could it be possible that Terrence was indeed innocent?

“If you truly are a victim too, Terrence, where would you get the money to pay us back?” Florence was doubtful.

“Indeed, I do not have the money right now, but I can borrow some from people around me.” Terrence sighed before he continued, “I’ve got some connections here in Millsburg, and I have plenty of friends. Did you see those people who were here with me earlier on? I invited them here for a meal so that I could borrow some money from them to pay you your loss.”

Florence and Victoria were moved by his words. They were impressed by his resolution to pay them their money and even went as far as to borrow money from others. From the looks of things, they had misunderstood him. “Have you gotten any money from them yet, Terrence?” Victoria mellowed down and asked cautiously.

“I have, and it’s just enough to cover your loss.” Terrence nodded.

“Well, we’re not in a rush to get the money back. You can take your time. It’s good to see that you’re fine.” Victoria smiled sheepishly.

“Yes, that’s right! We were too impulsive and misunderstood you. Please don’t take it to heart.” Florence quickly added.

“Oh, it’s all my fault. I’m the one who’s brought you trouble. A man should make right what he’s done wrong. I’ll transfer you the money now.” Terrence took out his phone and was about to make the transaction.

“Hey! We’re all family! What’s the rush?” Florence smiled radiantly at him. “My bank account

number is 622700030…”

“Wait a minute!” Terrence suddenly stopped midway through typing in his password and pretended as if he had just thought of something. I can give you your money back, but the ownership of the plot of land with the abandoned construction should be transferred back to me.”

“Why would you want that? It’s basically worthless, Victoria asked.

“It’s not about how much it’s worth. Since I’m borrowing money from my friends, it only makes sense that I give them something as collateral, and I think that piece of land will work just fine.” Terrence explained earnestly.

“I see…” Victoria nodded and continued, “But the ownership of that piece of land is no longer with us.”

“It’s not with you?” Terrence’s eyes widened. “Did you sell it?”

“That’s right!” Victoria grinned gleefully. “We sold that piece of land to a gullible person.”

“Who was it? Who was the one that bought it?” Terrence leaped out of his seat anxiously. Damn it!

Chapter 591

“Speak of the devil! The simpleton is here!” Florence had barely finished her sentence when a group of three came in through the doors of Saffron Restaurant. It was none other than Dustin, Dahlia, and Julie.

“Terrence Stone!” Julie’s eyes swept the place once she entered. She quickly spotted Terrence in the private room and stormed over angrily.

“Julie, hear me out!” Terrence was just about to explain himself with an awkward smile on his face when, without any prior warning, Julie slapped him across the face. Caught off guard, he cupped his cheek with his hand, unable to react.

“Why are you being so aggressive, Julie?” Victoria reprimanded her immediately.

“Why are you defending him, Mom? Did he not deserve that?” Beside herself with anger, Julie saw nothing wrong with her actions. He deserved that slap very much for cheating her money and taking advantage of her feelings for him.

“You’re mistaken! Terrence isn’t a swindler!” Victoria swiftly pulled Julie aside.

“He’s not a swindler? Well, if he isn’t a swindler, are you implying that I’m the liar? Has something gotten into you, Mom? Why are you defending him? Julie’s fury was unabated.

“Don’t jump to conclusions. Listen to me, I’ll tell you everything…” Without any room for hesitation, Victoria explained to Julie in detail everything that Terrence had told them earlier. She made the whole thing sound so reasonable and made Terrence out to be the most considerate person, convincing Julie with her genuine and sincere words. When paired with Terrence’s miserable expression, Julie could not help but be convinced.

“What? So Terrence is innocent? I was wrong in hitting him, then?” Julie was convinced by the story that Victoria told her and quickly realized that she was wrong.

“Exactly! You acted too impulsively. Quick, apologize to Terrence!” Victoria instructed her.

“I’m sorry, Terrence; I didn’t mean to do that. Does it still hurt? Here, I’ll rub the pain away.” Julie’s attitude took a 180–degree turn, and she apologized gently.

“Don’t worry about it. I was the one who did not tell you the full story, that’s why you thought I was a swindler.” Terrence forced a smile.

“You should have told me earlier how things were We can always face problems together. It hurts me to see you in such turmoil,” Julie said emotionally as she clasped Terrence’s hand in her own.

Dustin was left speechless when he saw how lovey–dovey they were acting. Were these people dimwits? How could they be fooled by Terrence with just a few words? Too ashamed to meet them? Went around borrowing money from others just to pay them back? How could anyone buy such garbage?

Dustin thought, “No wonder they were swindled.”

How else would Terrence be able to trick them if it weren’t for them being such foolish people? At the thought of that, Dustin took a glance at Dahlia beside him and noticed that she had a doubtful and wary expression. It seemed like she did not believe a single word Terrence said.

“Alright, alright. Now that we have got everything straight, we’re all still family,” Victoria said. Joyfully. She was pleased with Terrence as a person. He was a promising young man who was very considerate. She deemed him a good catch for her daughter.

“Ah, right. Terrence suddenly turned to Dustin. “Dustin, I heard from Victoria that they sold the abandoned construction site to you. Is that true?”

“It is What about it?” Dustin did nothing to hide the fact that he’d bought the land.

“That’s great.” Terrence heaved a sigh of relief. Then, with a smile on his face, he said, “I don’t like taking advantage of others. Since I was the one who brought this problem upon all of you, I can’t continue to let you bear the loss. I’ll purchase the piece of land from you at the original price that you bought it for.”

“You’ll purchase it?” Julie’s face fell when she heard that. In a hushed tone, she whispered, ” Terrence, have you lost your mind? It wasn’t easy selling off that trashy piece of land! Why are you even buying it back? Why would you bring such loss upon yourself?”

“You shouldn’t say that, Julie!” Terrence put on a righteous facade. “Dustin is my friend. Since something as bad as this has happened, we cannot take advantage of him! We must be righteous and hold fast to our principles!”

“But-” Julie was about to retort, but Terrence waved her off. “Say no more. A real man must stand up for his actions. We should not lose our principles just for a little benefit!”

With Terrence’s little righteous speech, almost everyone looked at him with admiration. Especially Julie, who looked at him like he had a halo over his head.

Chapter 592

That was the mannerism of a true gentleman! At that moment, Terrence appeared heroic.

“You’re in luck, Dustin! What are you waiting for? Why aren’t you thanking Terrence? He decided to buy that rubbish off your hands!” Julie announced proudly.

“There’s no need for that. We’re all friends. I can’t bear to see you suffer such a loss. Just give me the ownership of that piece of land, and we’ve got a deal,” Terrence said with an amiable smile.

“When did I agree to the deal?” Dustin asked.

“What?” Terrence thought that he had heard Dustin wrong. He never thought that he would be rejected. Julie and the rest of them were astonished too. Unable to comprehend what was going on in Dustin’s head, they assumed that he had lost his marbles. After all, who would turn down money and choose to hold on to a piece of trash?

“Dustin, did you not hear what I said? The abandoned construction site is worth nothing, and you have no use for it! Why don’t you just sell it to me?” Terrence tried to talk some sense into Dustin.

“Why do you want it if it’s worth nothing?” Dustin countered.

“I’m doing this for your sake, of course!” Terrence said with all earnestness. “The reason all this happened was because of me. I trusted someone who I should not have trusted, but I should not have pulled you all into it. Therefore, I shall bear full responsibility for this at all costs!”

“Oh, how nice.” Dustin smiled faintly. “I thank you for your thoughtful gesture, but no thanks. I’m not selling it.”

“Why not?” Terrence could not believe his ears.

“Because we’re friends. Just as you do not wish to take advantage of me, I refuse to do the same!”

“That’s all right; I do not mind bearing the loss.”

“But I do. So, forget about it.”

“No! We cannot forget about it! If you think that my offer isn’t enough, I can add a bit more to the original price that you bought it for!”

“This is not about money. It’s about principles. You said it yourself, we must be righteous and stay true to our principles.”

“You!” Terrence was a hair’s breadth away from losing his composure. Damn it! Why was the idiot so stubborn? He had said everything he could to convince him to sell the piece of land, but nothing seemed to work. Exasperated, Terrence was left speechless.

“Alright, it’s getting late. I have some things to handle back at the company, so I’ll be taking my leave with Dahlia now. You guys carry on.” Dustin could not be bothered to converse with them any longer, so he exchanged a look with Dahlia, and they got out of the restaurant as fast as they could.

“Hey, Dustin! You…” Refusing to let Dustin go just like that, Terrence was about to give chase but was held back by Julie. “Terrence, you cannot be too kind. Since that idiot turned you down, let’s not push it. Why would you give him money when he doesn’t even appreciate it?”

“Exactly! We all saw how sincere you were. He was the one who rejected your kindness. Don’t be too hard on yourself,” Victoria echoed. In her eyes, Terrence was every bit of the perfect son–in- law. His only drawback was that he was too righteous, which made him an easy target for others to take advantage of.

“If you’re still feeling bad about it, Terrence, why don’t you use the money and buy me some branded handbags?” Julie asked coquettishly.

“Handbags? Fuck you and your handbags!” Terrence finally flipped and shoved her aside. “Do you know that I’ve just lost two billion dollars?”

“Two billion dollars? What do you mean?” Shocked, Julie could not make heads or tails of Terrence’s words.

“Truth be told, the land with the abandoned construction has been officially listed as the prime location for a key development. Its value has now gone up to two billion dollars! I’d given you wealth beyond measure when I sold you that plot of land. But look what you’ve done! You gave Dustin Rhys the perfect opportunity to get filthy rich! I can’t believe how stupid you all are!” Terrence roared frustratedly, growling almost. He was so close to ripping his hair out of vexation.

“Key development?”

“Two billion?”

“Immeasurable wealth?”

“Quick! Go after him!”

After a momentary stun, it finally dawned on Julie and the rest of them how big of a loss they had made. Without a moment to spare, they immediately rushed out of the restaurant. But Dustin was no longer anywhere to be seen.

Chapter 593

On the way back, Dustin could tell that Dahlia had questions for him but was battling herself against questioning him. He smiled to himself at her curiosity and decided to give her an opening. “Shoot away if you’ve got any questions. There’s no need to hold them in.”

“I do not understand why you turned down Terrence’s offer to purchase the site of the abandoned building!” Dahlia blurted out.

“Everyone knows that it’s worthless now, so there’s no point holding onto it. You would have been better off selling it and recovering your loss!” Though she had promised and was determined to not concern herself with Dustin’s business anymore, she still could not help but feel bad that he had missed out on a good opportunity to make up for the loss he had made.

“Well, why would Terrence want to buy that piece of land when everyone knows that it’s
worthless?” Dustin asked.

“Didn’t he just say that he doesn’t want to take advantage of you because you’re friends?” Dahlia retorted.

“Haha! Do you really think that Terrence would be so kind?” Dustin smiled meaningfully. “If he is as righteous and responsible as he claims to be, he would not have disappeared without a trace for the past few days.

“Well…” Dahlia’s brows knitted together as she fell deep into thought. It was true that she had her doubts about Terrence’s integrity. But after seeing how sincere he appeared, even offering to buy back the abandoned construction site, she wavered and started to believe his words.

“Let me tell you the truth. The reason Terrence offered to buy the plot of land was not because of his conscience or his righteousness. It was only because he knew that its value had skyrocketed. Dustin chuckled.

“Skyrocket? The abandoned construction site has been sitting there for almost a decade, and nobody wanted anything to do with it. How could it possibly increase in value?” Dahlia wondered aloud.

“Nothing is impossible, Dahlia. Haven’t I told you that that plot of land has officially been listed as an area for a key development? Terrence must have received some news about it that caused him to change his mind. Do you really think that he’d be so kind?” Dustin had a faint smile on his face.

“How much is that piece of land worth now?” Dahlia asked tentatively.

“Two billion dollars at least. And that’s a conservative estimation.” Dustin dropped a bombshell.

“Two billion?” Dahlia’s eyes went as wide as saucers. It was bewildering to think that a piece of land could go from absolutely worthless to worth two billion dollars overnight. She had toiled hard for years on end, and in the end, she had not even made as much as Dustin did in a single day. His uncanny luck was infuriating, to say the least.

All of a sudden, Dustin’s phone rang. He pulled it out to see that the call was from Florence. He paused and gave it some thought before answering the call and putting it on speaker mode.

“Hey Dustin, where are you? There’s something I’d like to talk to you about.” An unbelievably kind and gentle voice came through the speakers. Dahlia felt her skin crawl at how cloyingly sweet her mother sounded. When has she ever been so soft–spoken?

“We’re on the way back to the office, Florence. Is anything the matter? You can just tell me through the phone,” Dustin said.

Clearing her throat, Florence asked awkwardly, “Well, here’s the thing. I’d like to buy back the abandoned construction site. Would that be possible?”

“Why would you want to spend your money on something so worthless? You’ll clearly be making a loss. A hint of humor could be heard in Dustin’s tone.

“So be it. As your ex–mother–in–law, I cannot watch you suffer the loss and do nothing about it.
Better me than you to take the loss.”

“It’s not a big deal for me. I’ve still got some disposable income. I’ll survive.”

“That wouldn’t do! I’m a person who stands firm in and upholds my moral values! I’ve been losing sleep over selling it to you at a high price. I feel like I’ve cheated you out of your money. I feel so bad for that, so I have a mind to buy it back to atone for my mistake.”

“That really won’t be necessary. After all, you mortgaged your house to get the money. If you lose that, you won’t even have a roof over your head! That’d be terrible!”

Chapter 594

“That’s alright, I can move into a smaller house. You, youngsters, are way too stressed out these days. As an elder, it’s only right for me to help you out however I can.”

“I’m not stressed out. Life is as breezy as it can get for me.”
Dustin and Florence bantered back and forth through the phone, neither of them coming clean with the truth. Since Florence took him as an idiot, Dustin gladly went along with the act and pretended to not know any better.

It was Dahlia, however, who found the conversation unbearable. She now fully believed what Dustin had told her. Her mother would not be so nice to Dustin otherwise. What she said about atoning for her wrongdoings and relieving Dustin of his burdens was all bullshit!

Florence had been grinning from ear to ear when she managed to scam Dustin into buying that piece of land! Now that she knew she had made a loss by selling it, she chose to put on a righteous and upright facade to buy it back instead of being honest with Dustin. She was despicable and greedy!

“Hey! Why are you so stubborn? I’m only doing this for your good, so hurry up and sell me that piece of land!” As the conversation progressed, Florence began to lose her patience. Had it not been for the money, she would never have wasted so much effort coaxing him gently, and would immediately start shouting and cursing at him instead.

“Florence, why are you in such a hurry to purchase the abandoned construction site?” Dustin pressed. This was Florence’s last chance to come clean. If she told him the truth, he would willingly let her have a share of the profit.

“Have I not made myself clear yet? I can’t bear to see you lose money! I’d rather bear the burden myself!” Florence stubbornly refused to spill the truth.

“That’s enough, Mom!” Dahlia finally could take it no more. “Are you still going to keep on cheating people out of their money?”

“Hey, what’s that supposed to mean? When have I cheated others of their money?” Florence raised her voice.

“Dustin already knows the truth. That piece of land is worth at least two billion dollars! You’ll never be able to buy it back at the original price!” Dahlia exclaimed.

“What?” All was quiet for a while before Florence said sheepishly, “Oh, so you already knew? Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

“Florence, I’ve already reminded you repeatedly since a week ago! It was you who refused to.believe me,” Dustin retorted calmly.

“Oh, look how forgetful I am. I think my age is catching up on me!” Florence exclaimed regretfully. “Dustin, I was wrong. I’ll listen to all your advice from now on. Can you please sell the piece of land to me?”

“Had you shown just the slightest bit of honesty earlier on and did not intend to trick me out of my money, I’d have readily shared a part of what I profited from it with you. But your actions have truly disappointed me, so I will not be selling it to you,” Dustin told her truthfully.

“You’re not selling it?” Florence’s voice raised an octave when she heard what Dustin said. “That belongs to me! What right have you got to not sell it to me?“

“The ownership of the land belongs to me. I can handle it however I please,” Dustin said matter–of- factly.

“I don’t care! You better give me back what belongs to me, or I’ll make you regret it!” Florence threatened menacingly. Just a few minutes ago, she had spoken so gently and kindly, but now her true colors showed

“Behaving like this won’t get you anything,” Dustin said.

“You–you bastard! You vile, shameless scumbag! I’ll sue you! I’ll sue you for swindling me of my money! You-” Florence spewed a torrent of curses through the phone with no care in the world.

But she was cut off when Dahlia ended the call. How aggravating! She was the one who bore bad intentions, and she had the gall to berate Dustin? Utterly unreasonable! As Florence’s daughter,

Dahlia felt ashamed of her actions,

Chapter 595

James was happily engrossed in a game of Taxus Poker at an illegal casino that evening. Beside him sat a young lady with short hair who was dressed in revealing attire. Judging from the casino chips on the table, it looked like they had been winning a lot.

“I have a pair of Queens. Show your hand!” A man with a hooked nose who sat opposite James revealed his hand

“You dare challenge me with just à pair of Queens? Keep your eyes open, buddy. I’ve got Three of a Kind James grinned, flipping his cards over to show a pair of sixes. Since there was a six in one

of the five community cards, they made a set of three sixes, also known as three of a kind.

The rules of Taxus Poker are simple. There were five community cards, and each player was dealt two hole cards. These can then be combined in any way to form the best five–card hand. The highest–ranking hand is a Royal Flush, followed by Four of a Kind, Full House, Flush, Three of a

Kind, Two Pair, One Pair, and finally, a High Card.

"James, you’ve won again! You’re amazing!” The lady with short hair cheered excitedly, admiration evident in her eyes.

Hahaha! Well, luck isn’t the only factor in a game of Taxus Poker. It’s a matter of skill too. I can see through all his tricks! There’s no way I’d lose to him!” James bragged gleefully.

“I say, based on your chips, you’ve probably won at least a million dollars, haven’t you, James?” The young lady asked as her eyes shone brightly.

“More or less. Here, this is for you.” James pressed a chip worth 20 thousand dollars into her hand with a chuckle.

“Thank you, James!” The young lady flashed him a radiant smile before planting a kiss on his cheek

“Come on, let’s go enjoy ourselves!” James reached out to hook an arm around the lady’s neck. He was happy with how much he’d won and was ready to leave to enjoy the rest of the night.

“You have a winning streak tonight, James. Why don’t you play some more while you’re winning?

It’s a good opportunity for you to make some more money while Lady Luck is on your side!” The young lady did not seem to want to leave yet.

“Oi, rascal! Are you running off after winning just so little? What a loser! Would you dare play another game with me?” The man with the hooked nose who sat opposite James taunted.

“This is a golden opportunity, James. Think of all the money you can win off of him. You shouldn’t miss the chance!” The young lady persuaded him in a hushed whisper.

“You’ve got a point there.” James nodded and looked at the man with a smirk. “It looks like you enjoy losing money. I’ll see to it that you walk out without a single cent today! Deal the cards!” With a wave of his hand, another round commenced. Half an hour later.

“Oops, a Straight. I think I’ve won again.” The man opposite James showed his hand, revealing a set of Straight.

“Damn it! I lost again!” Losing his temper, James threw the pair of Kings in his hand on the table. With beads of sweat on his forehead and red, bloodshot eyes, he looked irritated.

Just half an hour ago, he had been basking in the joy of winning continuously, making himself more than a million dollars without breaking a sweat. But now, it seemed as though Lady Luck had frowned on him, and he had lost everything that he had won earlier in the evening. What terrible luck!

“Again!” Unwilling to accept defeat, James gestured for the dealer to start a new round.

“You’re out of chips, James.” The young lady reminded him.

“What?” James looked down at the table to see that he had indeed run out of chips.

“Hahaha! Is that all you’ve got? What a cheapo!” The man with the hooked nose ridiculed James, Get lost then if you haven’t got any more money. Quit making an embarrassment of yourself here!”

“The fuck did you just say?” James slammed his hands on the table as he bolted straight up in his seat, fury written on his face.

“What? Did I say anything wrong? Don’t act like you’re a big shot if you don’t have the money, loser! ” Then, with a contemptuous expression, he called out to the young lady, “Hey, hot stuff, what are you doing with a loser like that? Why don’t you join me instead? I’ll make sure you have the best of everything!”

“You-!” James was so vexed that he ground his teeth together. But there was nothing much he could do.

“James, I heard that they allow players to borrow money from them here. Do you want to give it a try?” The young lady asked.

“Let’s do it! I’ll win back everything I lost tonight!” James roared. He could never look past the other man’s taunts. Especially not in front of a woman he fancied.

“Sure. I’ll get it done immediately.” With a quick nod, the young lady got up and left. Not long later, she came back with two million dollars worth of chips and a promissory note.

Chapter 596

Without even looking at what was typed out on the promissory note, James proceeded to sign it and immediately joined the next round of the game. But in less than 15 minutes, he lost all two billion dollars worth of chips again.

“We’re out of chips again, James‘ Should we borrow more? The young lady asked once again.

“Yes! Get as much as you can! James growled. At that moment, he had completely lost control of his senses, his actions only driven by the relentless desire to win back what he lost and make the man with the hooked nose regret what he said.

Two hours later, James was drenched in sweat and panting uncontrollably, his eyes were bloodshot. His expression was somewhat horrifying

“Sorry man, Three of a Kind and One Pair. That makes a Full House. You’ve lost again. “The man opposite him showed his hand and smiled meanly.

“Go! Borrow some more! I refuse to believe that I’ll keep losing today! James shouted.

“You’ve already lost too much, James. They refuse to lend you anymore,” The young lady answered

“They’re not lending me anymore? Why not? Do they think that I can’t afford to pay them back? I’ll have you know that my sister is the chairperson of Nicholson Corp.! She has assets worth over a hundred billion dollars! James declared proudly,

“Hey, buddy, my boss would like to speak with you.” Out of nowhere, a calloused hand rested on

James‘ shoulder from behind.

“Who the hell is touching me? James whipped around immediately. Just as he was about to start acting aggressively, he froze. Behind him stood several insanely buff men who were wearing suits and looked like they were henchmen, staring at him.

“What do you want?” James put on a calm facade.

“You borrowed quite a huge sum of money throughout the night. My boss would like to talk to you about your payment. Come with us.” As the leader of the group of henchmen spoke, he inconspicuously flashed the gun fastened to his belt. James‘ eyes widened. As he dared not go against their wishes, he had no choice but to follow them upstairs to the VIP room

Over in the VIP room, there was a paunchy man with a cigar perched on his lips and one ankle resting lazily over a knee.

“He’s here, Mr. Doyle.” Two henchmen pushed James into the room and locked the door from outside. James gulped dryly when he saw the room full of menacing and fierce henchmen. His anxiety was unconcealable.

“Do you know who I am?” The paunchy man asked before taking a long swig of his cigar and slowly exhaling, releasing a puff of smoke.

“You look very familiar, Sir. Have we met? James asked cautiously.

“I’m Doyle. Duncan Doyle,” The man said.

“Duncan Doyle? From the prestigious Doyle family?” James was astonished.

“It’s good that you know me. Now, let’s talk about my money. So, you borrowed a total of 38 million dollars tonight. How are you going to pay it back?” As Duncan spoke, he slapped a thick stack of promissory notes on the table. Every piece of it had James‘ signature on it.

“38 million? That much?” James could not believe his ears and quickly flipped through the notes to check. By then, he was already thoroughly drenched in sweat. “M–Mr. Doyle, these notes prove that I’ve only borrowed 30 million. Where did the extra 8 million come from?” James asked miserably.

“Why would I be lending out money if not for the interest?” Duncan asked frostily.

“B–but isn’t the interest too high?” James asked warily.

“Cut the crap! You either pay me what you owe or I’ll chop your limbs off!” Duncan glared at him.

“N–no, don’t! I’ll pay!” James was flustered by the situation he was in. “Can you please give me a few more days to pay up, Mr. Doyle? I promise I’ll pay you in full.”

“No! You are to pay me tonight. Where am I going to find you if you escape?” Duncan demanded.

“But how am I supposed to produce this much money in one night?” James cowered in fear.

“Didn’t you say that your sister is the chairperson of Nicholson Corp.? Several million dollars are considered peanuts to her!” Duncan smirked sinisterly.

“What?” James froze up for a while before he continued sheepishly, “Mr. Doyle, knowing my sister, she will most likely refuse to pay my debts.

She usually helped him out of most of the trouble he got himself into, but once they had anything to do with gambling or drugs, it was the end of the discussion.

“Don’t worry. I’ll help you.” Duncan smiled venomously.

“Help me? How will you help me?” James was taken aback by Duncan’s offer to help. But Duncan did not give him a straightforward reply. Instead, he simply gestured to his henchmen and took an axe that they handed him. As James watched on with terror in his eyes, Duncan swung the axe down in the direction of his wrist.

Chapter 597

In the president’s office at Nicholson Corp, Dahlia took a sip of coffee and continued immersing. herself in work. Although Hank didn’t show it, he was facing all sorts of obstacles in private. He pushed every matter to her, regardless of whether it was big or small, which caused her to be so busy that she had to work overtime every day till midnight.

“Ms. Nicholson….” Right then, a young female assistant knocked on the door all of a sudden.

“What is it?” Dahlia looked up at her. Because Julie wasn’t a very reliable secretary, she hired another assistant, Kelly Porch, to share the workload.

“Ms. Nicholson, someone sent you a parcel and asked me to pass it to you directly. The person mentioned that it’s a surprise,” Kelly said, holding a gift box.

“Okay, put it on the desk.” Dahlia nodded, then a thought struck her. “Kelly, it’s getting late. You should head home first. You don’t have to wait for me.”

“Okay, Ms. Nicholson.” Kelly turned around and left.

Dahlia rubbed her eyes and finally finished her work. She turned her gaze to the gift box and decided to open it. However, the moment she opened it, she was so frightened that her face went deathly pale. What lay inside the gift box was a bloody hand! It was very obvious that the hand had just been cut off not long ago because the blood had not clotted yet. It was a very shocking sight.

While she was still in shock, her phone suddenly rang. When she answered it, she immediately heard Duncan’s voice. “Ms. Nicholson, you must have already received my gift.”

“Who are you?” Dahlia’s expression went cold.

“Who I am is not important. What’s important is that your brother owes me 38 million dollars, and you have to repay his debt,” Duncan said plainly.

“Why should I believe you?” Dahlia frowned.

“You don’t believe me? Then listen for yourself.” Duncan said.

“Dahlia! Save me! Hurry up and save me! They cut my hand off!” James shouted, his voice full of fear and misery.

“James! What’s going on? Why would you owe someone money?” Dahlia hurriedly demanded.

“Dahlia! This isn’t the time to ask these questions. Hurry up and come here with the money, or I’m going to die!” James sobbed over the phone.

“Ms. Nicholson, did you hear that? Bring me the money in exchange for him. Otherwise, I don’t know what other extreme things I’ll do to your brother.” Duncan threatened.

“Don’t do anything! You just want money, don’t you? I’ll give it to you!” said Dahlia in panic.

“Okay, then I’ll be awaiting your grand arrival,” Duncan said with a laugh.

After hanging up, Dahlia dared not waste another second and, without hesitation, immediately rushed to the casino. She couldn’t just sit around and do nothing when her brother was in danger. While driving, she called Dustin, but he didn’t pick up. She had no choice but to send him a text along with the address

20 minutes later, Dahlia arrived at the underground casino. After she told someone her name, at gangster led her to a VIP room on the second floor. A bunch of violent–looking gangsters were standing around inside the room.

James was kneeling on the floor and trembling, his face streaked with tears and snot. Someone. had simply bandaged the stub of his arm where his hand should be, temporarily stopping the bleeding “Sis‘ You’re finally here!” When James saw Dahlia walk in, he immediately wept tears of joy as if he saw his savior

“How dare you! Who taught you to gamble?” Dahlia slapped James across the face. She knew that her brother liked to gamble. She had always warned him against it in all sorts of ways and had even given him a beating before. She had thought that he would have changed his ways, but who would have thought that he would get himself into more serious trouble now.

“Ms. Nicholson, I won’t meddle with you disciplining your brother, but you must give me the money first,” Duncan said with a cigar between his lips.

“It’s you?” The moment Dahlia saw him, she immediately remembered something. She quickly realized that she had seen Duncan before. Previously, when she was eating at a restaurant, he had led a gang of people to look for trouble with Dustin but had gotten beaten up instead.

“That’s right. It’s me. Now, can you give me the money?” Duncan said with a mirthless smile.

“This is a bank check for 38 million dollars, not a penny less.” Dahlia placed a check on the table.

“I don’t want a check. I want the payment in cash,” Duncan said with a shake of his head.

Chapter 598

“Cash?” Dahlia frowned and said, “Where will I get so much cash at such short notice?

“That’s for you to figure out. We only accept cash here,” Duncan said casually.

“You’re just making things difficult for me on purpose!” Dahlia’s expression was icy. She would probably need a truck to transport 38 million dollars worth of cash.

“Ms. Nicholson, mind your words, Does your brother still want to keep his other hand?” Duncan swept his gaze toward James.

“You!” Dahlia gritted her teeth and managed to control herself. “Can you give me two days? I’ll bring you the cash as fast as I can.”

“I wouldn’t say no, but you have to have a few drinks with me first.” Duncan stood up slowly and took two glasses out from the drinks cabinet. He filled them with whisky and handed one to Dahlia. “Drink this, and I’ll consider giving you two days.”

“What?” Looking at the glass full of whisky, Dahlia couldn’t help but frown slightly. Duncan obviously didn’t have good intentions. She didn’t know if she could still leave that place after she drank it.

“You refuse? Then you’re just disrespecting me.” Duncan’s smile disappeared slowly as he said, It’s only right for one to repay their debt if they owe money. If they can’t, then I have no choice but to cut their limbs off. Guys, chop James‘ other hand off!”

“Yes, sir!” Two gangsters laughed evilly and immediately pressed James against the floor.

“No! Don’t chop my hand off!” James was scared out of his wits as he begged for mercy. “Dahlia! Save me! Save me, quick! I’m your brother! I don’t want to become handicapped. I’m begging you. Hurry up and drink the whisky!”

“Chop it off!” Duncan shouted.

“Wait!” Just as the ax was about to strike, Dahlia shouted hastily, “I’ll drink!”

“Haha, that’s more like it … Drink up,” Duncan said with a sly smile.

Dahlia took a deep breath, picked up the glass, and downed the whiskey in one go. Even though. she knew that something was wrong with it, she had no choice but to drink it because her brother’s life was in Duncan’s hands. Now, she could only pray that she would hold up.

“Nice! You really are an impressive woman. Come on, let’s have another drink!” Duncan filled her glass again. Dahlia frowned deeply, and she hesitated for a moment. But she still finished the glass of whisky. After downing two glasses, she felt lightheaded quickly and felt herself burning up.

“Shit!” Dahlia thought. Knowing something was off, she tried to fight the feeling and force herself out the door. However, before she could take more than two steps, her vision went black, and she fainted on the floor.

“Hehe… I’ll see how you try to run away from me,” Duncan said while stroking his chin, his expression perverted.

“Mr. Doyle, wasn’t our deal just about money? How could you break your promise?” As he witnessed his sister get drugged, James immediately panicked. Even a fool would know what was going to happen next.

“What’s the matter? You want to avenge your sister?” Duncan laughed wickedly. “Sure, if you chop off your other hand, then I’ll let your sister go. How does that sound?”

“I.. James‘ expression stiffened, and he immediately hung his head. His gaze flitted around as he dared not look at Dahlia, who was lying out cold on the floor.

“A coward, just as I thought. Get lost!” Duncan shouted, and he kicked James to the floor.

“Okay, okay, okay. I’ll get lost right away.” James looked as if he had just been spared a gruesome death. He dared not hesitate and scrambled out of the room instantly. His pathetic behavior made the whole gang laugh loudly.

“Okay, you guys get out too. Don’t disturb me.” Duncan waved his hand and dismissed his lackeys from the room. Then, a thought struck him, and he fished out Dahlia’s phone. He called Dustin and said, “Hey, Rhys! Do you know who I am? That’s right, it’s me, Duncan Doyle! Your woman is in my bed right now. I’ll show her a good time tonight.”

The moment he finished speaking, a loud bang sounded as someone kicked the door open. Then, a figure with a cold expression came into sight. “You’ll show who a good time?”

Chapter 599

Dustin stepped through the door, his gaze terrifyingly cold.

From the moment he saw Dahlia’s text, he knew something was wrong, so he rushed here as fast as he could

“W–what are you doing here?!” Duncan’s eyes widened, and he staggered backward in fear.

“Didn’t you call me to ask me to come over? Well, now I’m here. What are you going to do?” Dustin began approaching him.

“Someone, come quick!” Duncan screamed.
However, strangely enough, no one outside responded. It was as though those men stationed outside had disappeared into thin air.

“Where the fuck are you all? Hello?!” Duncan continued hollering

But no matter how much he yelled, there was no response.

“I warned you before not to cross me again. Or else, you’ll die a miserable death. What, did you think I was bullshitting you?” Dustin was getting closer and closer.

“Rhys, you’re on my territory. I’m warning you to not come any closer, or you won’t step out of this place ever again!” Duncan shouted, putting on a fierce front.

“Tell me, how do you want to die?” Dustin asked coldly.

“Take another step, and I’ll blow your brains out!” At that moment, Duncan suddenly took a gun from the drawer and pointed it right at Dustin’s head. Now that Duncan had a weapon with him, he believed that he had the upper hand.

“Really? You can try.” Dustin continued to approach Duncan without a hint of fear.

“You’re fucking asking for it!” Duncan pulled the trigger without a second thought.

“Bang!” There was the sound of a shot being fired. Yet, Dustin was still standing in the same spot and did not move a single inch.

He was completely unharmed from head to toe.

“I missed?” Duncan frowned. He pulled the trigger two more times. Yet, it was the same as before. However, Dustin still looked unruffled and unhurt in the slightest.

“Fuck, I refuse to believe that I can’t kill you!” Duncan clenched his jaw and began to shoot madly until there were no more bullets left.

“Bang, bang, bang!” After a series of gunshots, Dustin was still standing in the same spot. His body was uninjured; heck, even his clothes weren’t damaged.

“Is this guy a ghost?” Duncan was so scared that cold sweat began to pour from his temples.

At this distance, there was no way Duncan would miss, even if he closed his eyes. Yet, he’d fired over a dozen bullets, but he didn’t so much as leave a scratch on Dustin. It was absolutely insane.

“Were you trying to kill me with these things?” Dustin slowly opened his fist to reveal a handful of misshapen bullets in his palm.

“H–how did you do that?” Duncan’s expression turned into one of horror.

Could it be that his opponent had caught all the bullets that he’d shot earlier with his bare hand? Was he even fucking human?!

“Do you want to know? I’ll tell you once you’re dead With that, Dustin kicked Duncan in the stomach

Duncan flew backward like a bullet leaving the barrel. He slammed into the wall harshly, leaving a spider crack on the wall. Blood spurted from his nose and mouth on impact.

“I-I am a member of the Doyle family, one of the fabulous five! If you dare lay a hand on me, my family will never forgive you!” Duncan threatened, his face twisting into a ferocious snarl.

Dustin hummed before giving him another kick in the chest. There was the sound of bones cracking, and Duncan once again coughed up a mouthful of blood. His entire rib cage collapsed on itself.

“D–don’t kill me! I’m begging you not to kill me! I know I was wrong! I’ll never do it again! I swear, I won’t annoy you ever again!” Duncan begged in between fits of coughing up blood.

This time, he was truly afraid.

“Any last words?” Dustin slowly raised his foot. This time, he lifted it right over Duncan’s head.

“Wait! Someone intentionally wanted to make you suffer today. It has nothing to do with me. I’m just the runner!”

“Who was it?” Dustin asked coolly.

Chapter 600

“If you promise not to kill me, I’ll tell you the truth.” Duncan said, attempting to negotiate terms.

“No thanks. You can just go die.” As soon as Dustin finished speaking, he stomped his foot hard on Duncan’s head

“No-” Duncan tried to wail before his head exploded into pieces. And just like that, he was dead.

“Mr Rhys, the people outside have been taken care of ”

At that moment, two masked martial artists dressed in black garments walked in. They were elite. shadow guards.

“Excellent. Clean this place up, and send the body straight to the Doyle home,” Dustin ordered.

The two exchanged glances, but in the end, they still nodded. “Yes.”

Dustin said nothing more. He carried the unconscious Dahlia and briskly walked out of the underground casino.

The moment he stepped out the doors, he noticed a suspicious figure lurking in a corner. It was none other than James, who had managed to escape earlier.

“Come out!” Dustin threw a glance over his shoulder.

“Oh, it’s just you. You scared me.” James couldn’t help but let out a breath of relief when he saw

Dustin’s face. At the same time, he began to criticize him. “Hey, Rhys, why didn’t you come earlier? Don’t you know how much danger my sister was in just now? Also, if you weren’t so slow to come to the rescue, my hand wouldn’t have been chopped off. How are you going to compensate me? I’m telling you, without at least eighteen million dollars, I won’t-”

Before he could finish his sentence, Dustin had already raised his hand and slapped him hard across the face.

James stumbled backward from the impact, almost falling over. His cheek began to swell rapidly.

“Are–are you crazy? What did you hit me for?!” James cupped his stinging cheek, his entire body radiating shock and fury.

“That was for your insolent remarks!”

With a cold face, Dustin raised his hand and gave him another slap. “This one is for your lack of repentance!”

Slap! “This one is for your cowardice!”

Slap! “And this one is for throwing Dahlia under the bus!”

Each slap made a loud ringing sound as it landed on James‘ face. He was smacked so hard that his head began to spin, and blood began to drip from his nose and mouth.

His face was so swollen that he now looked like a pig.

“Stop!” Suddenly, an SUV pulled over to the side of the road, and Florence immediately jumped off the car and dashed over.

“Mom, you’re finally here!” When James saw his mother, he immediately ran into her arms, crying. He wailed. “That bastard Dustin is crazy! Look at what he did to my face!”

“Rhys, why did you hit my son?!” Florence flew into a rage.

“Why don’t you ask him what he did?” Dustin shouted back.

“No matter what, you can’t hit my son!” Florence screamed, glaring at Dustin.

“That’s right! Hitting people is wrong! Not to mention, why did you have to beat him so terribly?” Julie added.

“Terribly? He should be grateful that I didn’t slaughter him!” Dustin roared with a frigid look.

If James hadn’t gotten into trouble in the first place, Dahlia wouldn’t have gotten dragged down with him.

Even more despicably, that bastard had abandoned his sister and ran for his life alone!

“James, what in the world happened? Tell me everything, and I’ll make sure to do right by you!” Florence demanded, her face darkening.

“Mom, this is all because of Dustin!” James pointed his finger at Dustin, getting his side of the story out first. “He colluded with the owner of the casino to punish me and put me in a crushing gambling debt. Then, he even lied to Dahlia to get her here, drugged her, and was going to do something to her. I couldn’t bear to watch her get hurt, so I risked my safety and tried to stop him. Humiliated, that asshole blew his top and beat me into a pulp. Look at my face–look at what he
did to me!”

As soon as James finished speaking, Dustin’s face instantly turned stormy.

Chapter 601

As Dustin watched James run his mouth, his face became darker than a storm cloud.

He never expected that James would shift the blame to the victim instead. Not only did he feel no remorse for his wrongdoing, he even dumped all the blame on Dustin. His actions made Dustin’s blood boil!

“How dare you, Dustin! I never thought you could sink to such lows. You couldn’t woo my daughter, so you decided to resort to such abominable actions? You’re a demon wearing a human’s face!” Florence screamed hatefully.

“Hmph, I saw through your faux gentlemanly demeanor a long time ago! Not only did you try to steal our money, you’ve even tried to harm my cousin. You’re an animal!” Julie roared, her eyes wide with rage.

“After all that happened, are you still not repentant?” Dustin frowned.

“What do I have to repent for? This is clearly your fault! You’re the one who tried to hurt my sister! “James said indignantly. With his mother backing him, he had nothing to fear.

“You animal, don’t touch my daughter again!” Florence gave Dustin a fierce shove before forcefully snatching the unconscious Dahlia from his arms.

“Mom, this bastard is truly wretched. Not only was he harboring repulsive intentions toward Dahlia, he even had someone chop my hand off. This time, you need to do right by me!” James wailed, playing the victim.

“You really need a good beating!” Dustin finally reached his breaking point. He raised his hand and slapped James across the face.

James was hit so hard that he was lifted off the ground. His nose and mouth twisted to one side as his head cracked against the wall, and he passed out.

“Asshole, how dare you continue hurting people?!” Florence yelled, her face furious.

“Rhys, you’re a huge bully!”

Both Julie and Florence were aflame with righteous indignation. However, they knew they couldn’t beat him. Otherwise, they would have gotten violent from the very start.

“I don’t want to waste my breath talking to you. Once Dahlia wakes up, she’ll tell you the truth. Now get out of my sight and take that piece of shit with you!” Dustin roared.

This time, James had truly pissed him off. He was as cowardly as a mouse, yet he bullied those weaker than him. When James had to confront Duncan, he didn’t even dare to make a noise; he was quick to abandon his sister and run. And now, after being rescued, he was still trying to manipulate the truth to frame Dustin and throw him under the bus.

Lowly scum like him deserved to be taught a lesson.

“Rhys, just wait! This isn’t over. You beat my son and hurt my daughter. I will get justice!”

After a series of animated curses, Florence finally left indignantly with her family. She knew that Dustin was very skilled in combat, so she only dared to use her mouth and not her hands. Of course, she had made up her mind to blackmail him miserably after this.

In the best–case scenario, she might be able to get that piece of land where the buildings were.

The night flew by.

The next morning, when the first ray of sunlight filtered through the windows of one of the rooms in the Ansdale South Hospital, Dahlia finally opened her eyes after a night of being unconscious.

At that moment, Florence happened to walk in with a tray of breakfast. “Dahlia, you’re awake? How do you feel? Does it hurt anywhere?”

“Mom, what am I doing here?” Dahlia rubbed her head, feeling woozy.

“Dahlia, you were drugged yesterday. I was worried about you, so I brought you to the hospital,” Florence explained.

“Drugged?”

Chapter 602

Dahlia thought about it long and hard before finally recalling what happened in the casino last night. She had drank two glasses and passed out with no recollection of what happened afterward, but it seemed like she was safe.

“This is all that bastard’s fault! If Dustin didn’t harbor any ill intentions toward you and your brother, none of this would have happened to the both of you!” Florence exploded.

“Dustin? What does any of this have to do with him?” Dahlia was puzzled.

“I bet you still have no idea that he conspired with the owner of the casino to drug you. He was going to take advantage of you. Fortunately, James fought back and managed to save you,” Florence replied.

“Mom, there must be some kind of mistake.” Dahlia smiled. “Dustin would never hurt me, much less use such dirty tactics. You’ve got it all wrong.”

“Oh, Dahlia. You get tricked all the time because of how naive you are.” Florence retorted, her face serious. “You should never judge a book by its cover. Dustin may look like a good man, but he’s actually rotten to the core!”

“Mom, Dustin isn’t that kind of person.” Dahlia frowned in displeasure. She knew what kind of man Dustin was, and he definitely wasn’t the kind of person Florence was describing.

“You didn’t get to witness how disgusting he truly is last night. He didn’t just touch you; he also beat James up. Thanks to that, your brother is still unconscious in the hospital right now!” Florence fumed.

“Dustin beat up James? No way.” Dahlia was skeptical.

“I saw it with my own eyes. Why would I lie to you? Your aunt and cousin were there too. You can ask them if you don’t believe me.” Florence retorted confidently.

“I know Dustin very well. If he hit James, then James must have done something wrong,” Dahlia quickly replied.

“Hey! How could you defend an outsider? James is the victim here, yet you’re defending that bastard! What on earth are you thinking?” Florence shrieked.

“Mom, there must be a misunderstanding. I refuse to believe that Dustin would hit someone for no reason.” Dahlia shook her head adamantly.

Although she wasn’t sure about what happened yesterday night, Dustin clearly helped get her to safety because she had left him a text before going to the casino as a precaution.

“Hmph! That brute hit James because he was angry that his tricks got exposed!” Florence seethed.

“I still-” Before Dahlia could continue her sentence, Julie barged into the room anxiously, yelling, “Aunt Florence, bad news! James‘ condition suddenly took a turn for the worse, and he’s been sent to the operating room!”

“What? The operating room?” Florence was shocked, “Wasn’t he fine last night? Why did his condition suddenly worsen?”

“I’m not too sure either, but the doctor said that things were very serious. You should hurry over immediately!” Julie urged.

“Right! Let’s go!” Florence quickly dashed out of the room. Dahlia immediately put on her shoes and followed after her mother.

When they reached the operating room waiting room, they could do nothing but pace and wait anxiously for the results. It wasn’t until three hours later that the doors opened again, and several doctors and nurses emerged, looking drained.

“Doctor, how is my son doing? Is he alright?” Florence asked fearfully.

The surgeon sighed regretfully and replied, “I’m sorry. We tried our best, but we were unable to bring the patient back. He has passed away.”

“What?” Everyone was shocked, their faces frozen in disbelief.

“D–dead?” As if struck by lightning, Florence’s knees went weak, and she sank to the floor,
devastated.